Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

On 2/11/2024 at 7:47 AM, baldryanr said:

This would be the perfect jumping off point for a streaming series - less pew-pew, more politics.  It would really give them room to explore a post-Empire galaxy because there's a big difference between winning a rebellion and constructing a lasting peace. 

Isn’t that exactly what the Mandalorian Universe is doing? 

On 2/10/2024 at 11:16 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Was super excited about the EP 1 anniversary news but was immediately saddened by lots and lots of people trashing it across various platforms :'(. I know it's a terrible movie but I've always found it the fun kind of terrible. Also Attack of the Clones is worse, fight me.

Attack of the Clones is definitely worse. Phantom Menace at least has Dual of the Fates and podracing to make up for all the cringingly bad parts. 

1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Isn’t that exactly what the Mandalorian Universe is doing? 

Attack of the Clones is definitely worse. Phantom Menace at least has Dual of the Fates and podracing to make up for all the cringingly bad parts. 

AOTC. Obi-Wan dives out of a window a hundred floors up. Padme in the black leather number. The arena and first battle of the Clone Wars. It's not all bad.

• Like 1
On 3/14/2024 at 2:35 PM, Anduin said:

I'll believe it when I actually see it in the cinema, but at this point I'm interested.

I agree at this point they'd be better of just announcing new Star Wars movies the actual day there being released in the theaters. 

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree at this point they'd be better of just announcing new Star Wars movies the actual day there being released in the theaters. 

I think that's going a little too far, but I'm not entirely opposed.

• Like 1

Star Wars Empire State Building Takeover
Star Wars   Mar 21, 2024

LIVE: Star Wars' Hayden Christensen joins Empire State Building lighting for takeover celebration
Associated Press   Streamed Mar 21, 2024

Hayden Christensen kicks off Star Wars-themed ‘takeover’ at Empire State Building
Associated Press   Mar 21, 2024

• Like 1
(edited)

Skywalker Saga Marathon Coming to Theaters on May the 4th
See all nine films on the big screen!
StarWars.com Team    March 21, 2024
https://www.starwars.com/news/skywalker-saga-marathon 

Lucasfilm announced today that in celebration of the 25th anniversary of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, fans will have the chance to experience the entire Skywalker Saga in theaters this May the 4th, also known as Star Wars Day. This includes all nine episodic films in chronological order: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

In addition, an exclusive look at The Acolyte, the upcoming Disney+ series set during the High Republic era, will be part of The Phantom Menace screenings. Finally, those attending will receive a special limited edition poster. Tickets go on sale tomorrow, Friday, March 22, at 9 a.m. PT / 12 p.m. ET.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Just got back from TFA live in concert. Still as fun as ever. I remember 2015. At the time, I thought it was a pretty subpar year. In hindsight, it was pretty good. A job where I felt both useful and valued, several people were alive who now aren't, and so on. There was Fury Road in May, and TFA in December/January. I even picked my work days so I'd be free to see movies on release days. :)

2018 was ANH, ESB in 2019, ROTJ in 2022, now TFA. Given how the conductor ran down the prequels, "We don't talk about those ones," I'm guessing she didn't want to do them. Admittedly I'm not a fan either, but I know that lots of people are.

Anyway, it was a good time. A couple of jokes I'd forgotten, lots I remembered but still laughed at, some dialogue I'd never noticed until watching with captions, and some music that had previously been in the background. I even found myself remembering what was in the trailer vs what was in the movie. Yes to this, no to that.

If you ever have the chance to go see one of these live in concert showings, for a movie you like at least, then you should take it. I hope they do TLJ next year.

(edited)

George Lucas Honorary Palme d’or of the 77th Festival de Cannes
OFFICIAL SELECTION   published on 09.04.2024
https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/press/press-releases/george-lucas-honorary-palme-d-or-of-the-77th-festival-de-cannes/ 

A Hollywood legend, the director, screenwriter and producer George Lucas will receive the Honorary Palme d’or on Saturday, May 25, at the Closing Ceremony of the 77th Festival de Cannes, to be broadcast live on French TV channel France 2.
The Honorary Palme d’or will be presented to him on stage at the Grand Théâtre Lumière during the Closing Ceremony on Saturday May 25, 2024.
The Closing Ceremony of the 77th Festival de Cannes will be broadcast live on France Télévisions and Brut. on Saturday, May 25. Camille Cottin will serve as Master of Ceremony.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Ewan McGregor LIVE at MegaCon Orlando | Jedi Double Feature Panel Part 1 of 2
A Couple Of Park Hoppers   Feb 3, 2024

Hayden Christensen LIVE at MegaCon Orlando | Jedi Double Feature Panel Part 2 of 2
A Couple Of Park Hoppers   Feb 3, 2024

• Like 1

LEGO Star Wars: Rebuild the Galaxy | Teaser Trailer | Disney+
Star Wars   May 6, 2024

LEGO Star Wars: Rebuild the Galaxy arrives September 13, only on @DisneyPlus.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2024 at 1:18 AM, andromeda331 said:

At least wait until they reach production, at this point. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Hilarious, but the Padme/Anakin joke was so unnecessary. Her character gets enough crap without people jokingly accusing her of grooming.

• Like 2

I hope S3 of Star Wars: Tales of...Anthology is a What If. I want episodes like What If Jar Jar was a secret Sith Lord, What if Qui Gon lived and trained Anakin, etc etc

• Like 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I hope S3 of Star Wars: Tales of...Anthology is a What If. I want episodes like What If Jar Jar was a secret Sith Lord, What if Qui Gon lived and trained Anakin, etc etc

Or What If Leia was raised on Tatooine and Luke was the Prince?! Come on, we’ve been begging for that A/U for years!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

There is the upcoming Lego Star Wars special Rebuilding the Galaxy. The trailer for that shows Darth Jar Jar.

8 hours ago, paulvdb said:

There is the upcoming Lego Star Wars special Rebuilding the Galaxy. The trailer for that shows Darth Jar Jar.

I saw that, which is what made me think of Filloni doing it for his series. I know a lot of the What Ifs have Anakin not going bad which is interesting but, I like other ideas like what if Luke joins Vader/The Emperor or what if Anakin defeated Obi-Wan on Mustafar (never lost limbs/burnt). Or a really good one, what if Ahsoka didn't leave Anakin/The Jedi.

Lots of fun possibilities.

• Like 1
On 5/16/2024 at 3:16 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

The only way Anakin doesn't go dark side is if Ahsoka stayed. 

Or, I think if Qui Gon survived and trained him instead of Obi Wan. I think both changes would have prevented Anakin going Dark Side.

• Like 1

George Lucas received the Honorary Palme d'Or at the 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival yesterday...

PALME D'OR D'HONNEUR – Photocall – PALMARES – English – Cannes 2024
Cannes Film Festival   May 25, 2024

• Like 1
(edited)

George Lucas Says Ideas in the Original “Sort of Got Lost” in Post-Disney ‘Star Wars’ Films
BY SCOTT ROXBOROUGH   MAY 24, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/george-lucas-cannes-honor-star-wars-films-1235907998/ 

Star Wars is the franchise most folks in the audience came to hear Lucas discuss, and the director did not disappoint. He talked about securing licensing and merchandising rights for the first film, something unheard of at the time. “The studios didn’t have licensing departments … it took longer to design a toy than it did to make a movie,” he recalled, and how he got control of the sequel rights, in part because Fox at the time was teetering on bankruptcy. “They didn’t have faith in the movie,” Lucas said. “The studio was going bankrupt anyway, they had a lot of movies already and they were desperate.”

Lucas defended his Star Wars prequel films against the haters, arguing that critics have forgotten that Star Wars was never meant to be a grown-up movie. “It was supposed to be a kid’s movie for 12-year-olds that were going through puberty, who don’t know what they’re doing, and are asking all the big questions: What should I be worried about? What’s important in life?” he said. “And Star Wars has all those things in there. They’re buried in there but you definitely get it, especially if you’re young.”

The negative response to his Star Wars prequels, Lucas argued, came from “critics and fans who had been 10 years old when they saw the first one” and didn’t want to watch a children’s film. The public trashing of Jar Jar Binks — one of the first figures to be canceled on the then-nascent internet — reminded Lucas of the original response to C-3PO. “Everybody said the same thing about 3-PO, that he was irritating and we should get rid of him,” said Lucas. “When I did the third one it was the Ewoks: ‘Those are little teddy bears. This is a kid’s movie, we don’t want to see a kids’ movie. I said: ‘It is a kids’ movie. It’s always been a kids’ movie.'”
Discussing the Star Wars sequels made after he sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012 (for $4.05 billion), Lucas said the new corporate bosses got a lot wrong.

“I was the one who really knew what Star Wars was … who actually knew this world, because there’s a lot to it. The Force, for example, nobody understood the Force,” he said. “When they started other ones after I sold the company, a lot of the ideas that were in [the original] sort of got lost. But that’s the way it is. You give it up, you give it up.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

I take his point, but there's certainly legitimate criticisms of the prequels as well. 

I never thought they were as bad as the internet screeched, and nothing is, but. 

"Hold me like you did on Naboo". 

Dude no. 

• Like 3

I'm going to put on my Heisenberg hat for a minute. Saying "just a kids movie" is slightly disingenuous. Yes, but there was also a ton from Lucas about how the prequels were about how a democracy falls into fascism. So it's fair if original fans were expecting something a little different. Not to mention the opening crawl was nothing short of byzantine. 

Be a man and cop to it. Look at the Clone Wars and Rebels. You can split the difference. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I love the prequels but they are very disjointed. They had too much to do especially the first and second movie. The first movie they introduce the Jedi,  the Sith, Padme, young Anakin, death of Qui Gon, Naboo invasion, Naboo battles, and Anakin gets to be trained. All of that's important to because it'll be all part of the fall of the Republic and the Jedi.

The second movie they have Anakin training under Obi Wan, resenting him, friends with Palpatine, romance Padme, death of his mother, go on a murder spree and fight Dooku. He's all over the place and I don't really think any actor could pull that off. That's just Anakin. That's not counting learning about the Clone Army, the Separatists, Dooku, Jango Fett, and Padme assassination attempts. There was too much jammed into one movie. 

The Clone Wars was really good because it had time to flesh out everything and everyone.   

Either George Lucas need more movies to tell the story or he should have started the Phantom Menace with Anakin already being trained by Obi Wan with flashbacks to him being found and Qui Gon's death. Or something.   

10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The Clone Wars was really good because it had time to flesh out everything and everyone. 

The Clone Wars is a big reason why i no longer hate the prequels or Anakin. That series really went a long way in making me understand the character's, motivations, relationships etc.

The other reason is that it took for me to accept that the Prequels weren't meant for me, the were meant for the next generation of Star Wars fans, my younger cousins that got to experience Star Wars for the first time with Phantom Menence love the Prequels and hold them with the same nostalgic love/memory that I have for the Original Trilogy.

Time will only tell if the latest generation will regard the sequels in the same manner as they grow older

• Like 3
12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's not a bad idea. 

I remember when Palpatine knighted him as Vader, and I was saying that it happened really fast. 

So did I. It did because it had too. They still had to the slaughter of the Jedi, Yoda and Sidious fight, Vader and Obi Wan, Vader burning, birth of the twins, the Empire and not a lot of time left to do it.

11 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The Clone Wars is a big reason why i no longer hate the prequels or Anakin. That series really went a long way in making me understand the character's, motivations, relationships etc.

Same here. Like why does Obi Wan have fond memories of Anakin when we saw none of that in Attack of the Clones when they were more annoyed with each other. The Clone Wars we saw them come together as friends. How did the relationship between Anakin and the Jedi Council go from a casual and good to so bad in the third movie.  The Clone Wars showed how it got there.  Same with the Clones, we got to know them which made order 66 even more devastating. It made me like Anakin a lot better. It made me like Obi Wan a lot better. 

The other reason is that it took for me to accept that the Prequels weren't meant for me, the were meant for the next generation of Star Wars fans, my younger cousins that got to experience Star Wars for the first time with Phantom Menence love the Prequels and hold them with the same nostalgic love/memory that I have for the Original Trilogy.

Time will only tell if the latest generation will regard the sequels in the same manner as they grow older

That makes a lot of sense. The Original and Prequels hooked me in away the sequel never did. I like parts of it and some of the characters. But I'm not hooked. 

“Across the Stars” is a very beautiful love theme score. I just wish we had it for a better written romance. Though to be fair, Clone Wars did try to fix that, or at least address Anakin’s many, many red flags.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

The master-apprentice chain! Shame they can't get Liam Neeson or Natasha Liu Bordizzo. And it's wonky what with the movie vs voice actors. But it's still cool.

• Like 1
(edited)

Star Wars D23 2024 Schedule Announced By Lucasfilm, Promises "Exclusive New Content"
By Sean Morrison    Published 2 days ago
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-d23-2024-lucasfilm-schedule/ 

Lucasfilm has announced the schedule for Star Wars content at D23 2024 and promised that its panels would include "exclusive new content." D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event is a yearly convention for all of Disney's properties, from Pixar to Star Wars and everything in between. D23 2024 is set to take place in Anaheim, California, from August 9 to 11. Quite a bit of information typically comes out of D23, and there could be announcements about upcoming Star Wars movies and new Star Wars shows. It seems particularly likely that details about Skeleton Crew will be shared at D23, which makes it an exciting event.

Now, Lucasfilm has revealed its schedule for D23 and hinted at some major reveals. Lucasfilm is set to have a host of panels and presentations over all three days of the convention. Those offerings will be spread across three locations: the Lucasfilm booth, the Disney+ pavilion, and the Honda Center. There will also be a Star Wars Darkade at D23 where attendees can play in a villain-themed arcade. Additionally, John Williams, Harrison Ford, and Frank Oz will all be named Disney Legends during a ceremony on Sunday evening.
For the first day of D23, Lucasfilm has a few exciting events scheduled. The first four events of the day will all be held at the Lucasfilm booth, and several of them are available on multiple days. One of Friday's unique events, the second of the day at the Lucasfilm booth, is set to provide some insights into LEGO Star Wars: Rebuild the Galaxy, an upcoming non-canon Star Wars miniseries. Then, the main draw of Friday's schedule will be the Disney Entertainment Showcase at the Honda Center. Star Wars will certainly have a part in the larger showcase, and some preview footage of Skeleton Crew could be shown there.
Saturday will have the fewest Star Wars events during D23, but that doesn't mean it won't be interesting. Saturday will also have two unique panels in addition to the recurring events. One will offer a chance to hear from Doug Chiang on how some Star Wars designs are made, while the other will see a star of The Acolyte speak. Manny Jacinto is set to talk about his experience playing the Stranger in The Acolyte, and Lucasfilm has promised there will be some "new insights" into his Sith Lord.
To wrap up D23 on Sunday, Lucasfilm will only have one unique event, in addition to the Disney Awards Ceremony. Three of the four Star Wars events of the day will be repeats. Those will offer glimpses into the Volume, Industrial Light & Magic's technologically-advanced filming location, a look at how creatures like Grogu and Ahsoka's Loth-cat were brought to life, and a chance to meet Nubs, one of the protagonists of Young Jedi Adventures. Sunday's unique event will offer a chance to meet some of the creators at Lucasfilm animation, including the actor who voiced Hera Syndulla in Star Wars Rebels.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Temuera Morrison was at Fan Expo Chicago over the weekend and apparently confirmed that he's not in The Mandalorian and Grogu...

Star Wars' New Movie Will Drop One Major Mandalorian Season 2 Plot, Confirms Star
By Liz Declan   August 18, 2024
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-new-movie-temuera-morrison-confirms-not-in/ 

However, evidently, not all characters who have been important in The Mandalorian will appear in the movie. Specifically, Boba Fett actor Temuera Morrison confirmed during the panel "From Clone Troopers to Bounty Hunters" at Fan Expo Chicago that he will not be returning in The Mandalorian & Grogu. "I'm still waiting for a phone call to be quite honest," he observed. "I think we're just put on the shelf for a little bit. Maybe we come off the shelf later."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1