Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Wizards Of Drag

• Start Topic

So there's a bit of T from Acid Betty that puts Britt Britt in perspective...evidently he (Derrick) was continuing his workout regiment and also not eating a lot, so when he got some booze in him, the surprise bitch leapt out making him the hardest and most volatile to deal with.

With that in mind watching this episode was illuminating.

I will say, in her defense, she did get some good reads off in the library "I did don't know there were so many shades of ashy..."

Of the reads I thought maybe Thorgy was the weakest...

Of the maxi challenge, I think the bottom two were right, and as soon as that wig was flipped I said my goodbyes to Robbie Turner.

• Love 7

So there's a bit of T from Acid Betty that puts Britt Britt in perspective...evidently he (Derrick) was continuing his workout regiment and also not eating a lot, so when he got some booze in him, the surprise bitch leapt out making him the hardest and most volatile to deal with.

With that in mind watching this episode was illuminating.

that is  illuminating especially watching Untucked (where they are drinking cocktails).  Because that is really when Derrick lets her bitch flag fly.  The way she came for Chi Chi was just wrong especially since Chi Chi was really trying to be rational keep things in perspective. 

Usually any irritation I may develop toward a queen during the broadcast gets removed after watching Untucked.  Almost to the person Untucked tends to make the queens more sympathetic and warmer.  Even Betty was humanized more (outside of the first one where she snarked on Trixie).  But Derrick is the exception, imo.  I already am not warm to Derrick and Untucked just seems to validate my dislike. 

This one she just seemed so damned delusional about her own outfit and mean about Chi Chi's.  It is especially ironic that she was making a big damn deal about glueing vs. sewing at the same time that the judges were telling us how totally acceptable it is to use a glue gun.

• Love 7

This one she just seemed so damned delusional about her own outfit and mean about Chi Chi's.  It is especially ironic that she was making a big damn deal about glueing vs. sewing at the same time that the judges were telling us how totally acceptable it is to use a glue gun.

I have sewn a hem and used a glue gun and I know which one *I* think is more difficult... Yes, dear, you sewed a bunch of straight lines on a piece of crap. I think she's delusional about a lot of things, including that other people see her as a threat.

• Love 4

Usually any irritation I may develop toward a queen during the broadcast gets removed after watching Untucked.  Almost to the person Untucked tends to make the queens more sympathetic and warmer.  Even Betty was humanized more (outside of the first one where she snarked on Trixie).  But Derrick is the exception, imo.

Totally agree - it usually humanizes them, but it only intensifies my distaste for Derrick B. I'd be bored but indifferent without watching Untucked; with it, I'm seething with resentment about possible producer shenanigans keeping him (and his delusions) afloat!

• Love 2

Having seen Derrick perform in Vegas, I was totally on Team Derrick coming in.  That goodwill has eroded week by week and now I'm just super mad Derrick is still here and Betty is gone.  Betty would have done an incredible job on this challenge. Both Robbie and Derrick should have gone before Betty.  That being said I'm still team BobNaomiThorgyChiChiKim. I really like all of them and each one not winning is going to break my heart a little.

• Love 4

I'm having the same thoughts about Derrick that I did about Kandy Ho last season - what is it going to take to get this boring queen eliminated? Why does she keep sliding through? Do they just forget about her?

The booze may explain her behavior in Untucked, but unless she's drunk all the time, that's just a case of in vino veritas and what she's always thinking is on full display because the filter has been removed. She's seriously delusional if she thinks that anyone is intimidated by her (least of all Bob), what with the way she's often hovering around the bottom.

She does a great Britney, and the LSFYL showed she can dance (like Britney). But she's a one trick pony. She does that one trick very well, but Ru wants more. And the fact that Ru called her "Britney" rather than "Derrick" on accident speaks volumes. 

I get Thorgy's frustrations - so close to winning all the time, but then seeing it go to Bob - but it feels like they are building up to something, like she will be forced to work with Bob for some challenge, a la Sharon and Phi Phi. 

I continue to adore Kim Chi. While she's not quite the performer Bob and Thorgy are, she's not just a look queen, either. She does have more going on. And thank the stars, we haven't heard her once whine that she's never done something before or how all the performance challenges are unfairly slanted towards other queens and not her. She just goes out there and tries her best. I love that (and her dorky sense of humor).

Naomi absolutely deserved the win this week. Everything about the look was wonderful. 

After Derrick goes, the rest of the eliminations will be really painful, because I really, really like Bob, Thorgy, Kim, Chi Chi and Naomi. 

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 6
After Derrick goes, the rest of the eliminations will be really painful, because I really, really like Bob, Thorgy, Kim, Chi Chi and Naomi. 

Agreed. I try to look on the bright side that nobody I really dislike will have a chance to win, though!

• Love 1

Why is Derrick still here? His whiny monotone voice is so hard to listen to! Him coming for chi chi was annoying. Like, you sewed the ham of a piece of fabric and you're still wearing a bathing suit with a table cloth over it. Robbie needed to go though. He brought nothing new or exciting, and was constantly wearing terrible crunchy wigs and he wasn't creative at all. Anyways, I love this season and I am enjoying all the episodes! I miss Cynthia lee Fontaine and it's a pity acid left (while Britney is still there) cos she would have killed this challenge! Bob is a big over the top but I can't hate on him. He's on his favorite tv show! Kim chi is gorgeous and chi chi is really hilarious and delightful. I would love the two of them to do a mini series of them going out to eat and talking about food, haha! I've seen thorgy in the past and he's an incredibly entertaining performer. I hope he wins a challenge soon! Naomi small is pretty and the scarecrow look was my favorite. I think it's refreshing that someone her age is so polished, kind and willing to listen to criticism. Such a difference from young queens in the past. This weeks episode was fun but the random dance in the poppy field was just stupid. I don't know, ru. Either way, I can't wait till Monday's! This is such a strong bunch. I don't even know who my top 3 would be, I love them all-minus Britney

• Love 3

Naomi really nailed it this week, and despite last week's lackluster performance, I still love her and am rooting for her.

Kim Chi continues to impress with her charm and ability to create a look. I didn't expect to think much of her, but she's really showing those Instagram queens like Miss Fame (my least favorite contestant ever) how it should be done.

ChiChi. Her attitude sometimes amazes me, in that she doesn't take anything personally and seems willing to grow. But other times she really frustrates me. How could she argue in untucked that she didn't plan to do anything better because of time constraints?? We know you had extra time! I still don't mind her and think she definitely belongs in the top five.

Derrick, obviously, is the one who doesn't. His voice, his personality, his utter lack of creativity, and his belief that everyone is impressed by him really turn me off. And the lip sync may have been good, but I don't know because the editing was so disjointed that I couldn't tell what was happening. They really need to consider showing a split screen, and in some cases, showing the whole damn performance.

I find Robbie more endearing than usual this week, and was actually rooting for her to survive the bottom two, but maybe just so that ChiChi would send Derrick home. I agree with Michelle though, that her wig line is a mess. And she's been circling the drain for a while.

Bob always looks polished but her outfit was really, incredibly simple. Like, Mystique doing country couture simple.

I'm rooting for Thorgy but I like everyone left except Derrick.

• Love 2

Two great moments, both from untucked:

Kim Chi subtly casting shade on Bob with the comment: "It was a makeover challenge............", and Bob looking like he wanted to snap back, but not really being able to. 

and

Chi Chi's little woman reading Bob's outfit for looking like it came from Rainbow.  This last one especially tickled me, because I'd recently learned about Rainbow as a shop where you can pick up really cheap clothing. I guess it's a New York area store? The person who told me about it was from NY.  In Houston, we have a store called Fallas Perades where similar cheap things can be bought.  

I already thought that Derrick had an attitude but after watching untucked this week, oooh, girl. Derrick is delusional. He thinks that putting a hem on a piece of fabric that he calls a skirt counts as really sewing and fashioning a complete look? And that everyone said he should go home because they're threatened by him? Uhhh, no.

While I totally agree that you need to come on this show prepared to make a few costumes on the fly because duh, it's going to happen, I don't mind Chi Chi's hot glue gun skills being used instead of sewing. The reason is this: look at what Chi Chi hot glue gunned together and look at what Derrick actually sewed. Those hideous silver shoulder things look more homemade than the bodice Chi Chi hot glue gunned fabric onto. On top of that, Chi Chi's looks like a costume that was specific to this challenge. Derrick's looked like a bathing suit with a sheer skirt and silver shoulder penises.

One of my things about costumes is that it should look like something, meaning if i saw this head to toe look without knowing what the challenge was, would I know what it's supposed to be or what it's referencing? If not, can I at least tell it's a costume? Without knowing the challenge, I might not have immediately known that Naomi was the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz but I would at least know that she was referencing some high fashion look and that she was in a costume. If I saw Derrick's head to toe look without any context, I would think she was a cocktail waitress at a place too cheap to buy actual costumes for their staff so they were outfitted in some off the rack bathing suit with a strip of fabric cut from a bolt they keep in the back room. Chi Chi's wasn't as polished as Kim Chi's, but at least if I saw her outfit I would know she was wearing some kind of costume, as opposed to Derrick. And those shoulder things were even worse when Derrick walked because you could see them wobbling around. It looked ridiculous.

I was totally cracking up when they were all talking about each other's shoes though.

I loved when the girls came in and asked, "Are you okay?" and one of the queens said, "We're okay. That's just how we talk to each other."

It was nice to see that the queens bonded with their partners. It was very sweet when Robbie and her girl said that they were going to visit each other after this.

And I was with Robbie when he said that LSYFYL isn't about who can cartwheel.

Rewatching the LSYFYL in slow motion on Untucked just reminded me why I was so annoyed with Derrick's performance when I watched it the first time. That was just straight up Britney impersonation to a non-Britney song, which is exactly why I think Derrick is too limited in what he does. He never changes his look or moves to anything non-Britney.

• Love 1

Derrick's looked like a bathing suit with a sheer skirt and silver shoulder penises.

I think Derrick's outfit looked like something you'd see on People of Walmart...

Robbie had to go at some point so might as well be now, I guess. The rollerskating LSFYL was everything but she hasn't performed at her supposed level since then (or before then, really).

• Love 1