Type keyword(s) to search

Wynonna Earp - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's back! Lots of funny moments - Wynonna and Nicole teaming up never disappoints and Mercedes might be really over the top but still hilarious. The new girl Rachel thinking Wynonna is capable of shutting up made me chuckle and say "Oh, you sweet summer child". Wynonna finally got the punch from Nicole she had been asking for in a while but of course, the trailer kind of spoiled that. "I've never had a best friend" - Wynonna, you softie! Also, what about Mercedes. 🙂

Not sure what happened with Nicole at the end but I hope it won't be long before we see the real Nicole and not doppelganger/possessed/whatever nude Nicole Doc saw in the end.

I am missing Peacemaker already.

• Love 4
(edited)

I quite enjoyed the the season four premier.  I don't think that season 3 was the strongest season (I don't hate it as much as other people but it's not my favorite), and I didn't much care for the season 3 opener with the vampires at all, so here's hoping season four will be an improvement overall. I did really like shaking up the typical pairings.  I especially enjoyed Wynonna and Nedly.  It's really fun to see how their relationship has changed.  And I know it's been quite a while since we've learned this about Nedly, but that you just assume he's going to be this unhelpful, misogynistic, borderline alcoholic, small minded sheriff when you first meet him. And then you learn he's this really loving guy, who takes care of his employees cats, only goes to bars to hear gossip, and is actually really competent at his job, still tickles me to no end.  I like when expectations about characters get subverted.

It was brief but I also really like Nicole and Kate together.  They seem to play well off of each other.  And hopefully we see more of Doc and Waverly together, because I don't think it's a dynamic that get's explored enough.  I'm also always down with Nicole and Wynonna because those two are a hoot together, though I actually enjoy it more when they bicker less and work together more.  Hopefully we'll get more of them as well.

I'm also really hoping that whatever winds up happening in The Garden winds up curing Doc of his vampirism, because I'm kind of over that story line.  I don't mind Kate sticking around, but that's the max on regular blood sucking characters I want on the show.  I also still say that making Doc immortal derails his entire character arch.  He was a man so scared of death he made a deal with a witch and got screwed over by it.  His growth to accept his own mortality seems to be where his character is heading and becoming a vampire seems to be a weird detour.

I also liked that they mentioned Dolls.  So many shows kill off a character (especially if it was because the actor wanted to leave) and then pretend like they never existed.  The fact that Dolls is still a presences, even if he is dead is kind of refreshing.

That being said, while I liked the opener, I'm hoping that The Garden stuff get's resolved relatively quickly.  I might be in the minority, but I kind of liked season one's slightly more episodic format.  I would like an over arching plot, sure, but I wouldn't mind some more creature of the week stuff back this season as well.

Edited by Proclone
forgot a word
  • Love 3

Great to see the show back again, especially after this season was so hard won by the fans! I didn't hate season three or anything, this show is always a blast, but I thought it was the weakest season, mainly because the story was super confusing and had a billion things going on, but I think we might be heading in the right direction again this season. I liked seeing the different pairings of characters, like Doc and Waverly, Kate and Nicole, and Wynonna and Nicole, who are always a blast, plus lots of Nedly (always welcome!) and Mercedes! "I've been standing here for two years." 

I was glad to get a few references to Dolls, I still miss having him around. This new girl seems alright, I wonder if she will actually stick around? "Can we keep her?!" 

19 hours ago, Proclone said:

I would like an over arching plot, sure, but I wouldn't mind some more creature of the week stuff back this season as well.

Same here. This shows strengths are in its unique western style take on urban fantasy creatures and tropes, its characters, and its mix of comedy, drama, and action. When it gets super into its myth arc and is mostly focused on a serialized story, it tends to get really overly convoluted, throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, and gets kind of soap opera with the relationship drama and long lost relatives everywhere, and kind of loses its sense of fun. I like having an overarching series and serialization, especially in character development, but I would be happy to have a few one off bad guys to fight so that the story arc can take a few breathers. 

• Love 4

I'm catching up on the last five eps of season three now. My problem with Wynonna Earp is that creator Emily Andras has tons of inventive and entertaining ideas, but her execution is a mess. For example, that episode where Wynonna was basically trapped in a video game and had to figure out how to keep herself from dying and restarting over and over? So much fun! But while I understand that she ultimately lost by giving Bulshar her gun, everything prior to that made no sense. I don't understand how she progressed from the bar "level" to the Homestead one, or what exactly was going on with Doc under the floor, or how exactly her friends' actions outside the loop helped her pass the Bobo section. Most episodes are like that... there are just so many characters and so many plot things happening and so much time passing so quickly that it gets muddled. It's "show don't tell" taken too far, with people making logical and emotional leaps that leave me feeling like I missed something.

HOWEVER, the episode "The Other Woman," in which Kevin comes to town and Waverly passes the trial that determines she's the champion, was fantastic. Well-plotted and coherent with actually-funny quips (often in other episodes they feel forced) and a great scene that cut between the two groups simultaneously figuring out who Bulshar really is. It was so different from the norm that I had to look up the writer, Noelle Carbone, who it turns out also wrote the other ep of season three I loved ("I Fall To Pieces," the one where drunk Nicole and Wynonna get handcuffed together). I'm happy to see she's a co-executive producer on the show and hope she writes some great season four episodes!

I have episodes 11 and 12 left to watch, and then the first episode of s4. Despite my complaints, I'm glad the show is back. I love these characters.

First couple eps of this season mostly felt like tying up loose ends/setting up the season, but that's normal. There were lots of good lines, especially between Wynonna and Nicole; I always enjoy their dynamic. The scene with the ring was sweet. I like Rachel as a new addition. Glad our characters are out of that "garden," and interested to see what's been happening in Purgatory while they were away. The "twist" didn't really surprise me (I figured they'd somehow skip over Nicole's leg healing), but I was not expecting that sex scene!

Wynonna Earp Boss Breaks Down That Big-Time Twist — And the '10 PM Cable' Sequence That Came Before It

Inside The Episode Season 4 Episode 2 (YouTube video)

I kind of expected Waverly to use her healing powers on Nicole but the timeskip wasn't exactly surprising. And yeah, that sex scene was pretty memorable. And long!

I wouldn't mind if we are done with this Garden of Eden thing because it wasn't all that well thought overall, to put it mildly. I got a little confused as to why Waverly and Doc being there led to Eve's escape but I suspect this isn't the last we have seen of her. I loved it when Wynonna called her Wy-clone-a. And I am kind of done with destiny used as a writing crutch in so many stories but I am not sure we are really done with it in this show, no matter what Wynonna says.

Waverly's hair remaining perfect no matter what kind of crazy stuff is going on always makes me smile.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:54 PM, tennisgurl said:

Same here. This shows strengths are in its unique western style take on urban fantasy creatures and tropes, its characters, and its mix of comedy, drama, and action. When it gets super into its myth arc and is mostly focused on a serialized story, it tends to get really overly convoluted, throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, and gets kind of soap opera with the relationship drama and long lost relatives everywhere, and kind of loses its sense of fun. I like having an overarching series and serialization, especially in character development, but I would be happy to have a few one off bad guys to fight so that the story arc can take a few breathers. 

I am totally in favour of more monster of the week episodes. Let's face it, this show is tons of fun, has amazing characters but the lengthy seasonal arcs are not so great, there are obvious retcons and signs of the writers making stuff up as they go along. Now would be a good time to take a breather before introducing a new Big Bad or the return of Eve.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 2

Was not expecting a time skip, especially such a big one! I am kind of meh on time skips, they are kind of high risk high reward as far as narrative devices go. Sometimes they can get your characters to new interesting places and stories without getting bogged down in the minutia of how they got there and shake up the status quo, or start mysteries about how we got here, but it can also make it so that characters rapidly change without us seeing their development, to the point that they seem like totally different people and we dont know why, we can feel like we missed out on all of the cool stuff during the time skip, or it can feel like an unnecessary gimmick. We will have to see how this goes I guess. 

Glad that we are done with the Garden of Eden stuff and are moving on, but I am sure that this is not the last we will see of Eve. You cant really drop actual biblical Eve into a story and just not use her beyond one episode, there has to be more to it. 

As always, I enjoy the banter between Wynonna and Nicole a lot, especially them both begrudgingly admitting that they're best friends. And we sure did get a whole big Waverly and reunion! I wonder what everyone else has been up to since the time skip? 

Heh, Doc got so offended at being called a cowboy. He is a gunslinger ok, its a different thing!

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

As always, I enjoy the banter between Wynonna and Nicole a lot, especially them both begrudgingly admitting that they're best friends. 

She said it first and no take backs!

I think 18 months is a really smart timeframe.  
Long enough that there should be some decent repercussions but not too long for anything irrevocable.

• Love 2

Have enjoyed the new episodes for the most part. I do agree with others that the shows strength lies with almost everything except seasonal arcs. I do also have one other problem that I am seeing too much of now, over the top silly Wynonna. Her being sarcastic is fine but this season she has become so silly. It is joke after joke after joke with her. I still enjoy her when she is more serious. 

Sure Eve will return or may even be in Purgatory already. 

Also wonder what the importance of the Valdez story will end up being? 

Don't know or care if popular or not but seeing the very little bit of Jeremy was the most I have liked him in two years. Just don't miss him. 

Was definitely surprised by the sex scene but didn't hate it. 

13 hours ago, ybrik said:

Have enjoyed the new episodes for the most part. I do agree with others that the shows strength lies with almost everything except seasonal arcs. I do also have one other problem that I am seeing too much of now, over the top silly Wynonna. Her being sarcastic is fine but this season she has become so silly. It is joke after joke after joke with her. I still enjoy her when she is more serious. 

Sure Eve will return or may even be in Purgatory already. 

Also wonder what the importance of the Valdez story will end up being? 

Don't know or care if popular or not but seeing the very little bit of Jeremy was the most I have liked him in two years. Just don't miss him. 

Was definitely surprised by the sex scene but didn't hate it. 

I didn't hate the slightly silly overly jokey Wynonna of the last two episodes...only because one, I think these two episodes have been particular fanservice-y (hence the sex scene) as a sort of the gift to the fans for basically getting this season even made and whether true or not, Wynonna quips are seen as being something the like; and two and I think Wynonna does legitimately use humor as a coping mechanism.  So, given that I imagine she was especially stressed out and her other coping mechanisms of drinking and sleeping with inappropriate men weren't available, I can see her being especially quippy.  That being said, I do hope we return to a slightly more serious with the rest of the season.  Both because I agree I don't really love it when we start to slip into the almost silly territory with Wynonna, and because I think Scrofano is really good when Wynonna is serious.  Her performances in the scenes where she found out she was pregnant and the scene last year when she told Waverly she was not let Waverly sacrifice herself, made me tear up a little.  So, I'm down for more serious Wynonna.

I'm also down for exploring what the time jump means to her.  She now has an almost two year old daughter.  She is already aware that she missed a good percentage of her child's life and now there's even more time gone.  I'd really like her to reflect on that at some point.

Jeremy isn't my favorite.  Though I actually like him better when he's with Wynonna than when he's with Waverly or Doc. He is actually also much better when he's being serious rather than silly.  And I'm also hoping that Robin will return this season (I imagine the actor may of had other commitments), because I actually kind of liked them together.

I thought the sex scene was well done.  Probably in large part because interviews seem to indicate that the actresses were heavily involved in the blocking of the scene.  And while it was hugely fanservice-y, I do think it served an actual purpose of showing the love and intimacy of Nicole and Waverly.

• Love 3

Not sure what to think of this episode. It jumped from zero to crazy in like a minute. Glad Nedley wasn't killed and was wondering if he was that creature. Wasn't sure whether to laugh or roll my eyes at the scene where they captured him and de-ogred(?) him. 

In my last post I mentioned not really missing Jeremy and while still true for most of the episode, I will admit I am intrigued with him working with Black Badge again. 

The magistrate is Eve right?

I know the show is Wynonna Earp but the last two eps have kind of been the Kat Barrell show. She has been giving more to do as an actress these last two episodes than almost the entirety of the last three seasons. Last week not only did she show more of herself um.... physically but also showed three different Nicole's. There was start of season typical over protective Waverly loving Nicole then got 'Eve' Nicole and at the end we saw a little bit of 18 month later Nicole. This episode we see more of that last Nicole and boy she is suffering from some PTSD. The question is what all happened to Nicole in the past 18 months 3 weeks and 4 days. She is on edge, jumpy, has quick moments of anger and then also zones out. I know there is obvious things like what happened with the zombies and her leg injury. Then losing her job and being alone trying to protect the Homestead and Rachel. However, I think there might be something else that happened that we will eventually learn about.

Glad Wynonna was a bit more toned down. Also think the actress did a good job directing the episode. 

• Love 3

I keep trying to figure out who Eve is totally going to be, and while the new Sheriff and the Magistrate are the most obvious candidates, maybe its the teenager that Nicole is living with? 

Sad to hear that Robin is apparently deceased (or just gone?) I liked him and I liked him and Jeremy. Jeremy working for Black Badge again, especially now as some kind of boss and not a tech guy, could be interesting, I often like Jeremy being more serious than as comic relief. 

Nice to see (almost) everyone reunited, and very glad that Nedley is alright, even if he apparently turned into some kind of werebigfoot or something, because thats kind of how this show goes. Things have gone to shit in Purgatory, even more so than usual, and its basically turned into demon town, although if people can leave, I am kind of surprised that more people dont. I guess no one wants to miss the chili cook off!

Nicole is clearly dealing with some stuff from her time protecting the homestead. It might be from being stressed fighting monsters or being isolated, or maybe something else happened too, but she is rather off. Waverly hasn't caught on yet but hopefully she will soon, she is just so happy to be back home with Nicole that she is literally skipping around not realizing how many problems are going on. 

The real tragedy of a time skip...missing Property Brothers! 

I wonder how many times Nedley is going to be in mortal peril/presumed dead. Don't kill him off, please!

I am not a fan of the whole demons in public thing, it doesn't really work in the age of smartphones and internet but the show has never been particularly realistic, so it doesn't bother me too much.

The magistrate was way over the top and not in fun way like Mercedes.

I didn't expect the return of Chrissy, the last time we saw her was way back in season 1. Maybe Gus will return from the mysterious land of off-screen too some day? 😉

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Nicole is clearly dealing with some stuff from her time protecting the homestead. It might be from being stressed fighting monsters or being isolated, or maybe something else happened too, but she is rather off. Waverly hasn't caught on yet but hopefully she will soon, she is just so happy to be back home with Nicole that she is literally skipping around not realizing how many problems are going on. 

Wynonna noticed it, that was a nice touch. Best friends and all that.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:23 PM, ybrik said:

This episode we see more of that last Nicole and boy she is suffering from some PTSD. The question is what all happened to Nicole in the past 18 months 3 weeks and 4 days. She is on edge, jumpy, has quick moments of anger and then also zones out. I know there is obvious things like what happened with the zombies and her leg injury. Then losing her job and being alone trying to protect the Homestead and Rachel. However, I think there might be something else that happened that we will eventually learn about.

Maybe she cut a deal with Black Badge. They are the ultimate plot device organisation, they interfere or do nothing depending on what the plot requires.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I keep trying to figure out who Eve is totally going to be, and while the new Sheriff and the Magistrate are the most obvious candidates, maybe its the teenager that Nicole is living with? 

I can't tell whether the timeline supports that theory or not. Rachel Valdez and Nicole were fighting zombies together and later living together at the homestead while the others were in the garden, so I guess it depends on how much time passed in the real world after Doc kicked Eve through a glowing door and how big the time gap was between Nicole making it home and Rachel coming to join her -- was it enough time for Eve to do something to the real Rachel and take her place? 

I had assumed Nicole and Rachel left Monument together after Wynonna went through the door, but Wynonna and Rachel's conversation at the end of 4x03 makes me think otherwise:

"Why'd you leave Monument?" 
"When you're a person who's gone through some stuff, and you see somebody else, who's a good person, also going through some stuff..." 
"How bad is Nicole?"
"She was alone for a really long time."

The writers foreshadowed Rachel being something else, though (or being connected to something else) with her little family history spiel in 4x02:

"My... our family's line goes all the way back to the Mayans. Actually... my mom used to tell me this story about our ancestors. About 300 years ago, there was this mestiza princess. A warrior princess. They called her The Valdez. After she proved worthy in war, The Valdez was given an entire kingdom to rule, and immortality to do so."

I expect Rachel to have some abilities related to that rather than being Eve. I agree that the new sheriff and magistrate are a little too obvious, though, so I have no idea.

• Love 1

Nicole, that visit to the house of the Big Bad was a really dumb move. The Big Bad, Margo, is a great improvement compared to her daughter Cleo.

Wynonna's speech in the end was pretty awesome.

"Rachel, respect the privacy of... the kitchen". I am dead, the show killed me with laughter. Also, I like Rachel a lot. Having a crush on someone with a dark secret is like a rite of passage in this kind of show, I suspect Billy will be back somehow.

I loved Waverly being all perky and happy to be with Nicole and doing research again. And looking super hot with these pants, I gotta say.

Jeremy was rocking that suit but Wynonna wasted his cool weapon.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

Oh man, the Clantons! This should be quite interesting, I like them going back to Earp family lore for the first time in awhile, and Mama Clanton seems like a good new Big Bad. So the Sheiff and Cleo arent Eve or demons like I suspected, but members of the Clanton family, as is Rachel's crush Billy. Poor Billy, I am sure that we will see him again, falling in love with someone with a dark secret and/or some kind of creepy supernatural thing going on is basically a rite of passage for characters on this show, so welcome Rachel! 

Nice seeing Jeremy again, I always like the interaction between him and Wynonna, and her speech at the end was great. Ever since she lost Peacemaker, she has really struggled with regaining her mojo, so hopefully this gets her confidence back. 

I bet Nicole made some kind of deal with Mama Clanton to get everyone out of the garden, and thats one of the reasons she has been kind of off. Thats definitely going to come back and bite her. On the plus side, she and Waverly are having a great time together, its nice to see them so happy, even if the calm before the storm. Waverly has the cutest taste in jackets, I want all of them! 

This was a really good episode. It had the feel of season one or two of the show. Wynonna has definitely calmed down from her way too over the top-ness of the first couple episodes. 

Jeremy back at Black Badge worked out well and made him fit in easier into the storylines where it felt too much like he was being added on to just add some comedy element last season. While I like his inclusion, I am worried about Black Badge being back. They seem weirdly docile and kind of not threatening which makes me think that it is a front for something nasty coming from them.

What did Nicole do? I do wonder if there was some kind of deal made that was tied into marrying Waverly as she has been avoiding Waverly's attempt to bring it up and Mama Clanton mentioned that maybe Nicole should be getting a ring now that Waverly is back. While Nicole has been little by little being more like herself there is still enough of her being off that I am glad it hasn't just been dropped and it is being explored. As noted in a previous post this season really has been Kat Barrell's season to shine. 

Peacemaker, you unfaithful sword that used to be gun! You need to go back to Wynonna pronto.

I liked that they didn't drag the "Nicole tries to sneakily murder everyone else" storyline for a long time. Not the most effective of curses but pretty nasty nevertheless. I loved the Nicole-Wynonna talk as usual. Though, of course, the chances of Waverly and Nicole not marrying are pretty low, unless of course the show itself is cancelled suddenly (please, no, television gods!).

Waverly saying "It's not [the froggies] fault" was very much in character and hilarious.

I guess this episode will also be remembered as the episode that launched a 1,000 WayHaught BDSM fanfics.

They really need to stop going alone to the creepy Clanton ranch.

Wynonna: "Hide your kids, hide your wives! Because we are storming the fucking castle. And by castle, I mean ranch. And by storming, I mean putting the kill back into "Kill 'Lantons. [turns to Doc] Can you not do that during my rousing speech?" - every time I think I can't love Wynonna any more she proves me wrong.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

Peacemaker, you be a good magic gun and come back to Wynonna! They obviously need you, there are creeps and bad guys all over the place! 

This is sure a busy season, even by this shows standards. We already have like five different plots going, half of which we dont even know the story behind yet. The Clantons seem like interesting bad guys, and I really like that they are bringing things back to Wyatt Earp and the mythology built around him. Its been a long time since that was really a major part of the show besides the stuff thats just baked into the premise of the show, so I am really interested in seeing where it goes. I feel like they are setting up Cleo and the sheriff for eventually turning on Mam, she treats them like garbage and they do actually seem to have some affection for each other, and for baby Clanton, unlike her. 

Glad that we already know that something is up with Nicole, and that everyone else does too, even if they dont know exactly what, and neither does Nicole. Poor Nicole, is she so sure that chicken noodle soap and a One Day at a Time marathon cant help? 

Also, the reboot One Day at a Time had a shout out to this show a few seasons ago, so I am taking that as a response high five. 

Unfortunately, the half-season finale wasn't very good. Rosita and Wynonna teaming up was nice, Nedley was funny and helpful as usual, Ghost Nicole giving Morse code signals was smart of her but the way they defeated the bad guys so quickly and easily was rather underwhelming. The Clanton matriarch had potential as a villain but then suddenly her was son was the one with doubts - only he had gotten enough development for me to care much when Wynonna shot him. Wynonna and Doc arguing about honor and the whole "Hey, we suddenly realised that Wyatt Earp was a great big jerk" feels rather contrived. Much better than "Doc becomes a vampire" from last season, of course, but not very exciting. Melanie and Tim are sure bringing their A game to sell that conflict, though.

Ah, Jeremy you really do ship WayHaught, don't you?

Peacemaker is a gun again! Not sure how or why that happened but I will take it.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

Peacemaker, you came home! 

So that was our mid-season finale huh? Sadly I thought it was pretty underwhelming, especially if that is really the end of Ma Clanton and the Clanton clan. What a lame and disappointing end to what seemed like a really good and threatening villain who was really tied into the shows mythos, Waverly just uses her angel powers and thats that? Really? It was that easy? I know this show has had more than a few lame endings to villains, as well as major and minor characters, but ouch. 

All of this stuff with Doc and Wynonna getting all weird about Wyatt being a dick back in the day...on the one hand, I get why they are ruminating on Wyatt, and Earp legacy, and everything that happened in the past, with the Clantons showing up to re-start the family feud. I am still hoping we get more of that, its a really good idea and way to tie the show back into what it was based on from way back when, and I dont dislike the idea of Doc ruminating on his life from back now that he is being reminded of the OK Corral and everything. On the other hand, this all seems really weird and random, like, none of this is old news to them. Maybe Doc is salty about what Wyatt said about him after his "death" but he always knew that Wyatt could be a trigger happy asshole, but he was his best friend no matter what, and the fact that he sometimes killed and cursed people who didnt deserve it is also something the show has touched on before (thats Rositas whole backstory) so why all of the "uggg what a dick" stuff now? 

Speaking of Rosita, I am really glad that they brought her back to give her a better ending, and some degree of closure with Wynonna and redemption. I really liked her and was always really annoyed by the crappy ending they gave her, so I am really happy to see her again and see her getting a much better story. 

At least Nedley was gold as always, and WayHaught got engaged and were super cute, and I was happy with all of that at least! "Astral Projection" "Like after my third heart attack. I found the remote control on top of the refrigerator." 

• Love 2

I liked the midseason finale.

I think it set up some interesting through lines for the back end of the season.

The misogyny of the men folk deciding for everyone when a grudge is over.

And the two divergent viewpoints of those who still hold on to the reckoning of the O.K. corral an those “who gives a flipping fudge about the OK corral anymore”.

• Love 1

Mipcom Briefs: ‘All Creatures Great & Small’ Sales; ‘Wynonna Earp’ Lands In Europe; Sky Swoops For ‘Yusuf Hawkins’

SYFY’s ‘Wynonna Earp’ Lands In Europe
NBCUniversal International Networks has signed a deal with Cineflix Rights to show genre-bending supernatural series Wynonna Earp across its science fiction channels in Iberia, France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland (SYFY) and in Poland and the Balkans (SCIFI). The IDW Entertainment, Cineflix Studios, and SEVEN24 Films drama follows Wyatt Earp’s great-granddaughter as she battles demons and other supernatural beings.

• Love 2
(edited)

Thanks for the reminder, for some reason I thought the final episodes would be aired months from now.

Not a bad episode but not as good as the Buffy love spell episode which might well have inspired it. The Clantons and Amon are still boring, boring, boring and the town looks emptier than ever. I still love the main cast so I enjoy the show but maybe it ending this season wouldn't be so bad, the way things are going and considering that pretty much every show goes downhill after four seasons at the very latest.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

As glad as I am that the show has time to finish things up and as much as I love these characters (and their awesome opening song) I think the show is about ready to wrap things up. Its still really enjoyable and has great characters and fun dialogue and all, but the overarching plots and mythology is kind of a mess, they seem to be running out of ideas. Four seasons is a good solid run, and shows have a bad tendency to really go downhill by season five or six, I am alright with them ending while the show is still pretty good. Especially for a show that has struggled with long serialized plots for awhile now. Honestly, I wish this show had more monster of the week episodes like they did early on with more of the overarching story in the background. 

The love potion stuff was pretty fun, its the kind of stock magic plot that this show enjoys playing with, and it did allow for some decent character stuff. Although after everything that has happened, you would think that Waverly would know better than to take bets with random strangers, especially ones with scares that look suspiciously like wings. If someone tells her they have a two for one special on moneys paws, she had better say no. 

How long have they been waiting to drop that Wayhaught meta wink? 

• Love 1

I'm way behind on this show but did the writers know these were going to be the final six episodes when they were writing them, thus bringing the show to a planned for end?  Or was the decision to end after this season made after the episodes were already in the can?

2 hours ago, rove4 said:

I'm way behind on this show but did the writers know these were going to be the final six episodes when they were writing them, thus bringing the show to a planned for end?  Or was the decision to end after this season made after the episodes were already in the can?

I think they knew this was the last season on SYFY, now I think they are trying to find someone else who will air additional episodes of the show.

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I think they knew this was the last season on SYFY, now I think they are trying to find someone else who will air additional episodes of the show.

Hmmm, so maybe no proper closure once these six episodes are done.  Thanks for the response! 

I would be happy to have another season, but if they try to get a few more seasons they really need to come up with some new ideas. I still love the characters and would be happy to see more of them, but it needs to up its story planning if it was to be mostly serialized. 

Poor Jeremy, what a messy situation. Robyn got his damn face torn off? That's grizzly, I am totally alright with missing all of that in the time skip. I sort of forgot about the mist keeping everyone stuck in Purgatory, this actually sounds pretty interesting. Unfortunately when this show comes up with cool high concept ideas it has a tendency to fall apart at the end, but I hope that wont happen. The whole thing is a bit confusing, especially now with people apparently losing their memories (but only kinds of?) I might have to try and find a recap for the last few episodes before break, I forget what all is going on in Black Badge and the mists and everything. 

So is the sleazy demon guy gone for good? Good riddance, was not a fan. Glad to see Wynonna's part demon chili pal again though, and the evil pumpkin was a cool monster of the week. Its been awhile since we got a plot focused on Waverley and Wynonna so that was nice to see. Waverley is certainly the best sister she has, their other sister tried to kill them. Actually, its kind of weird how long its been since anyone mentioned Willa, you would think this would have been a good episode to bring her up as Wynonna and Waverley talked about their messed up childhood. 

• Love 2

I took my sweet time before watching episode 4.08 and honestly it wasn't very good. Some fun moments but the worldbuilding is so terrible and the town so empty that the whole thing often devolved into a farce. I wasn't a fan of Jeremy literally threatening to murder his co-worker either. The monster of the weak was so hyped up and then defeated in a few seconds with great ease. I didn't remember if Doc was still a vampire but I guess he still is. I thought demons and vampires couldn't touch Peacemaker?

It always bugs me when Waverly starts talking about her memories of her (not really) father. I am pretty sure he died when she only six, yet she often talks about him as if he remained alive until she was in her teens (or in the case of the story she told at the end of the episode, in second grade). Similar thing happened with her memories of Willa because the writers obviously care very little about timeline consistency.

Good riddance, Amon, I literally don't remember why Wynonna wasn't even supposed to kill him herself but good thing someone else did because he was boring.

• Love 1

This episode was better than last week, the town felt less sad and empty and we had some interesting character moments, but everything with the backstory is just so confusing. I went back to see recaps of the last season just to make sure that I'm not just forgetting things, but no everything with the mists and the angels and the time skip is just still super confusing. Wynonna killing Jeannie and the Genie was pretty cold, why kill her and not all of the other demons running around who she knows for a fact are up to no good? 

Damn Wynonna Toby McGuire Spiderman? That's like three Spidermen ago, the time skip wasn't that big. 

Much better episode. Ginny was an interesting villain of the week and Wynonna's exasperation with her saying "Master" was pretty funny. And they actually killed her off before she overstayed her welcome, something many shows could learn from.

I am not really buying Wynonna's "I wish Doc would do something bad, so we can have sex", he has done plenty of bad things, far more than she has but at least they have something of a reason for their will they or won't they antics.

The average Purgatory resident isn't too bright - first they vote that Clanton idiot for a sheriff, then instead of enjoying the always priceless but harmless comedy of drunk Nicole they regard chicken-kicking as super embarrassing. What an embarrassing lack of taste, folks. At least she got the job and the hug she desperately needed at the end.

Nedley is such a great supporting character, while everyone getting so serious about trivia night was hilarious.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

So the writers have been binging the My Favorite Murder podcast huh? That's two references in a row. 

Did not expect to see Joline again, Zoie Palmer was absolutely devouring that scenery. So Waverly gets some feathers picked out Black Swan style and has now gone all fallen angel. No Waverley, you have a wedding to plan! No time to ascend/descend! 

Sucks that lovable demon Kimchee died, he made it through several almost deaths just to die in the creepy fog of doom. They had better not kill Mercedes, but I think she'll be fine. She's harder to keep down than any demon. 

• Love 2

Intense episode, even though I am completely lost about the plot mechanics at this point and I am pretty sure that the writers are lost too (or probably don't care). The characters did shine, though. Maybe Waverly can devamp Mercedes too because you know Wynonna wouldn't want to kill her if she starts killing people ("No more diets!" Good one, Mercedes).

I wonder if Waverly's angelic form was supposed to look so sickly pale or the makeup wasn't so great. She looked more emo than majestic or scary.

Nicole's inclusive town tirade was weird, considering she has never had any problem with Wynonna killing demons but whatever, the show is ending anyway (probably).

• Love 1

I really have no idea what is actually going on, and I don't think the show does either, so I am just going to go with the flow. The overarching plots were always this shows weakest point, made up for by its fun atmosphere and characters, so I am just going to focus on having fun with these characters before the show ends. I am glad that Doc was cured of being a vampire and is now back to being...whatever exactly Doc was before he became a vampire. Mercedes really is made to be a vampire. 

There were so many scenes where I was utterly confused by the mechanics of what was happening, but the actors were really going hard on the emotions, and that kept me invested. They even made the budget constraints work, like with Waverley's angel get up, which looked more like a cheap Halloween costume then something magnificent, but Dominique Provost-Chalkley was absolutely selling it. 

I am guessing that the finale will mostly be built around Nicole and Waverly getting married, but I hope we at least get one more big fight or some closure for the town and the rest of the cast. It would be cool to see some returning characters, but with filming restrictions and the shows not so high budget, its probably unlikely. 

I loved the finale. All the actors did an amazing job, the plot was little more than an excuse to force Wynonna to make a decision about Doc and the focus was on what the show does best - characterisation and sparkling dialogue. A beautiful WayHaught wedding, Waverly literally dragging Wynonna by her ear in an attempt to force her to try to enjoy her life and last but not least, the surprising return of Wynonna's bike. I grinned like a maniac when I saw it. No idea of Wynonna/Doc is going to work but they deserve to give it a try outside the madness of Purgatory. A hopeful ending, I am sure that in theory it could have been better but under the circumstances - the pandemic forcing yet another delay, I can't really ask for more. I am gonna miss this quaint little show.

• Love 5

It was a good finale. This show was always at its best when it focused on the characters and didn't attempt to pull off some big complicated plot. The haunted wedding dress was fun, and the wedding was lovely. I'm glad everyone got a happy/hopeful ending.

• Love 2

That was a great finale, I am so glad that they focused on their strengths, the characters and the fun snarky dialogue, and that they gave everyone a happy hopeful ending. Loved the WayHaught wedding, loved the memorials to all of the deceased characters, loved the return of Wynonna's motorcycles, it was just a sweet fun way to end the show. The haunted wedding dress was a nice little case of the week that basically existed to get Wynonna to face up to her feelings about Doc, it added some drama but didn't distract from the happy ending sweetness. 

Doc and Wynonna leaving Purgatory is a nice ending for the, they have been there for a long time. I don't know how they will do together long term, but they're going to give it a shot, and that's the best ending that they can hope for. Wynonna has felt so trapped there so long, by her heritage and her role as heir, so her getting to see the world is a great way for her story to end here. Loved Waverly literally dragging her off by the ear while cussing everyone out. SyFy is really letting them get all those F Bombs out. The wedding itself was so sweet, their vows were adorable and I love that Wynonna was her bestie Nicole's maid of honor while Doc was Waverley's best man, the thing this show has always done best at were the lovable characters and their relationships, so I am glad to see them front and center for the finale. 

Even when the show was uneven in its plotting, it was always a ton of fun, and I am going to miss it a lot. This was a great ending, but I will miss my trips to Purgatory. 

• Love 2

I've watched nine episodes of season 1, and can't figure out of this show is parody or drama. This is so weird, with the plot writing being so horrible that any character development just falls short. That's why I'm always confused about the characters' interpersonal relationships: those have like, no build-up whatsoever. It's like that episode where Waverly says Doc is a good guy, and the very next episode she says he's shady, and she spoke to him for five seconds before that. Or Wynonna and Doc being all over each other one scene, confrontational and nasty the next and outrageously flirting the scene after that. Same stuff with Waverly/Nicole. Nicole creeping all over Waverly is supposed to be romantic or something? IDK! The show doesn't show me anything! What is happening!

get-weird.gif

Oh god, now the show just has to create some soap opera BS baby daddy drama! That nonsense "love" triangle between Doc, Dolls and Wynonna is just unbearable. Especially that it seems like Doc is the only one who truly cares for other two in this relationship. Also, we now just have to explore Wynonna being a messed up person who sleeps around, lies to her friends and has no idea about the paternity of her child. I never particularly liked Wynonna's coping mechanisms, and the supposedly "feminist" episode about Wynonna killing the potential Revenant baby daddy to proclaim sisterhood is the most pointless piece of writing the show ever done. And that saying something, considering that in the very same episode some ghost marshal wants to hang Doc for sleeping around with a judge's wife (twice).