Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The Sand Situation

Boy whomever said Michelle was mousey kind of got a direct response this week. She gave it to Brett. Deserved. I don't know if I will love HBO if it ends on a note that suggests Brett does something to get his family back easily.  But I would love it if they just broke up. They are a classic couple that shouldn't be together. Tina and Alex seem to be going to sperm donor route. Don't like that. Tina... just marry him. If you don't you are a fool.

HBO just can't wait to be rid of this series. Already making sure we all know it is the series finale.

• Love 1
(edited)

Man, just when it looked like Michele and Brett were getting back to a good place by being forced to work together on Dune, everything gets ripped apart.

I loved the silent conversation that Alex and Tina had before she opened the door for him. They are like siblings whose parents are getting divorced so they need each other now more than ever to get through what's going on because no one else will really understand their loss. It sucks that it takes something so catastrophic in their lives to apologize and be honest, but I'm glad that it made Alex realize that they were being petty with each other and apologize so that they can lean on each other.

Walker is a real friend. Everyone could use a guy like him who is willing to get arrested in order to make sure your mission is not jeopardized! Brett's complaint about the beach having too much sand was a great call back to the first episode of the series. It reminds me of "Give You Up for Lent" by Steve Poltz:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Boy whomever said Michelle was mousey kind of got a direct response this week. She gave it to Brett. Deserved. I don't know if I will love HBO if it ends on a note that suggests Brett does something to get his family back easily.  But I would love it if they just broke up. They are a classic couple that shouldn't be together. Tina and Alex seem to be going to sperm donor route. Don't like that. Tina... just marry him. If you don't you are a fool.

HBO just can't wait to be rid of this series. Already making sure we all know it is the series finale.

That was me! And yes, she was amazing. I loved everything she said to him. Loved it. 

Although it does bewilder me how anyone can think that this stupid puppet Dune show is a solution to anything. Because it's not. It's terrible and I'm embarrassed every time I see any of it. 

• Love 1

I really enjoy this show and I'm sad that it is ending.  

I would really love a show with just Tina and Michelle.  I loved Michelle last season and this season I'm loving Tina just as much.  I can watch these two endlessly and just want more of them.  I loved Michelle screaming at Brett, but equally loved the look on her face as she sees Brett with the Uber girl. I can't get enough of Melanie Lynskey, even if I don't agree with everything she does. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know if this is the place for a philosophical discussion, but I think what Michelle did was worse. She gave in to feelings for someone who was paying attention to her instead of going to Brett and being open about their marriage. The spanking stunt wasn't enough, they went to therapy obviously, but something wasn't working. She betrayed him. He got angry, separated himself from her and found someone else. Of course, two wrongs don't make a right, but I guess I'm saying that I understand Brett's mindset, whether it was right or wrong.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 7
(edited)

I was surprised that Michelle did not have deeper feelings for that guy she slept with (for some reason, I forgot his name).  I guess she thought she liked him, but felt differently after their moment of passion and Brett showed up to proactively fix their marriage?

I thought they really had a connection and the guy certainly was not conventionally good looking or smooth.  He seemed like a genuinely nice guy who totally fell for her (though sleeping with a married person is not right).

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3
(edited)

I was surprised that Michelle did not have deeper feelings for that guy she slept with (for some reason, I forgot his name).  I guess she thought she liked him, but felt differently after their moment of passion and Brett showing up to proactively fix their marriage?

I thought they really had a connection and the guy certainly was not conventionally good looking or smooth.  He seemed like a genuinely nice guy who totally fell for her (though sleeping with a married person is not right).

Yeah, it almost made me wonder if the actor wasn't available for Season 2, because that plotline seemed to change rather abruptly.

Man, the Great Sand Caper was stupid AF. And what are the odds that Melanie (?) would be there? Very contrived. It's almost like the Duplass Brothers are making a show that they would want to watch, not one that the masses would enjoy (the whole Dune plotline). I still think Michelle is a milquetoast and don't enjoy her character. I assume that next week's episode was in the can before they knew it would be there series finale, so I'm not really expecting anything to be wrapped up unless they did it "in case." 

I'd watch a show about Tina & Alex, but don't care about Brett and Michelle.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 3

I felt so bad for Michelle.  I loved the confrontation with Brett.  I think he realized how much he f*d up.  What he did was so much worse, even if she cheated first.

Admittedly, what he did was wrong and he should have been honest with Michelle either way- but especially since he continued contact with Natalie. Also, he should have notified Michelle if he perceived them as officially "separated" and not working on things. But- I still think what Michelle did was worse. 

Michelle emotionally cheated for (what seemed like, not sure of the actual chronology) months before actually cheating. I understand she wasn't happy happy- but she had thought about it, encouraged it, almost premeditated it. It was a mistake, but it was a choice that she made by default of not taking initiative to end things directly.

Brett made an impulsive decision, and is now floundering and handled it stupidly and immorally (in my opinion), however- he's trying to figure out his life. I think she pulled the high horse on him with that out burst.

I do feel bad for her, but I don't think what he did was worse. It was worse in that she was making an effort at the time he cheated, but, too me- her emotionally cheating and playing into it for months outweighed his impulsiveness. (Neither of them handled the afterwards part very well, but I guess it's not easy to handle.

• Love 5

I agree that Brett's sin wasn't worse than Michelle's. I understand her reaction, but it seemed pretty self-righteous to me. 

I practically cheered when Michelle had the brainstorm to make the school about arts and the humanities, and to use Brett & Alex's Dune play to gain support for the school. I think that's a great idea. It's not that the Dune play is going to be a huge hit; it's that kids will love the creativity, the puppets, the theatricality. It's perfect for such a school.

The whole sequence about stealing the sand was great. I was worried about Dudley on lookout, but he was good and reliable. Taking one for the team. Alex and the others improvising an exercise group was hilarious. I loved that they actually utilized the barrels in their exercise routine. And then learning that the truck had no ramp and trying to find a way to get the barrels onto it was great. Brett and Michelle checking out the lifeguard station ramp, the bathroom doors, and then finally the swing set. I loved it all.

I hope Michelle sleeps on it and sees that Brett did no worse than she. I want them to be together.

I agree that Brett's sin wasn't worse than Michelle's. I understand her reaction, but it seemed pretty self-righteous to me.

Well since we are talking here, I kind of side with Michelle. For me what bothers me is that she was really trying in the marriage even trying to have sex with someone she didn't find attractive and was pushing her away but finally succumbed to someone who was clearly interested and had feelings for her. I also don't really enjoy the way they wrote her affair off the show.  But she immediately stopped and told Brett and apologized. From my point of view Brett used this as an opportunity to do all the things he wanted to do but couldn't do when married and the real kicker is that he tried to have his cake and eat it too, act all torn up about Michelle sleeping around and then going ahead doing that himself but trying to keep Michelle and the family on the side. Who knows how long that would have gone on if they didn't run into each other.

Basically Brett and Michelle from what I have seen.. don't love each other. Frankly not even sure they are attracted to each other. Brett's last minute (I had a revelation) in the finale last year was all talk. His actions this year show that would not have lasted long.

The whole sequence about stealing the sand was great.

Am I the only one that bothered? Disturbing the environment for your stupid little play?  I did like Brett and Michelle working together but all I could think is that they weren't exactly sparking. More like two platonic friends.

I will really miss Tina and Alex but if one day I could grab Tina and ask her something I would to know why she is so resistant to Alex?

I will really miss Tina and Alex but if one day I could grab Tina and ask her something I would to know why she is so resistant to Alex?

I know right! She's a hot mess and the fact he knows this and is still interested in her says a lot. I'm honestly at a loss for what he sees in her though. She's fun, but the crazy outweighs the fun- for me. Still, I'm curious.

I practically cheered when Michelle had the brainstorm to make the school about arts and the humanities, and to use Brett & Alex's Dune play to gain support for the school. I think that's a great idea. It's not that the Dune play is going to be a huge hit; it's that kids will love the creativity, the puppets, the theatricality. It's perfect for such a school.

The whole sequence about stealing the sand was great. I was worried about Dudley on lookout, but he was good and reliable. Taking one for the team. Alex and the others improvising an exercise group was hilarious. I loved that they actually utilized the barrels in their exercise routine. And then learning that the truck had no ramp and trying to find a way to get the barrels onto it was great. Brett and Michelle checking out the lifeguard station ramp, the bathroom doors, and then finally the swing set. I loved it all.

I hope Michelle sleeps on it and sees that Brett did no worse than she. I want them to be together.

I want them to be together, but only if they're happy- wonder what that looks like! 

I, too, LOVED the sand sequence and the fact Dudley really took one for the team.

Cheering, too! I reeeally want them to have a good school for the children! Another private school defeats their original motivation behind the charter school project and would be a bit of a let down for the way the plot line ended. Although, I do like how this show is realistic in that not everyone gets what they want so there's a lot of problem solving going on.

Oh yeah! The stealing the sand- I'm not bothered because it's LA. Not a wilderness preserve. It's not as gross as most people say, but it's not exactly 'disturbing the environment' as much as mildly irritating city management.

(edited)

I practically cheered when Michelle had the brainstorm to make the school about arts and the humanities, and to use Brett & Alex's Dune play to gain support for the school. I think that's a great idea.

It was a fun moment, and I like the idea of an arts school, but I was more astonished that so far into the charter school process they had no idea what their curriculum would be. Surely that's something that would be required prior to getting approval.

Am I the only one that bothered? Disturbing the environment for your stupid little play?

I was more bothered by the idiotic way they did it. Split up and go to multiple beaches, getting a little from each.

What I think the show does well, as frustrating as it is, is showing that when it comes to a breakup, both parties generally share the blame. Things start going to shit well before someone makes an active move that ultimately leads to the end of the marriage. I think Brett and Michelle both have their fair share of blame. I did like Michelle's final straw moment. I've had that moment.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Tina and Dudley should get together. I hate Tina. The way she laughed at Alex in the car really set my teeth on edge. Who does she think she is? 

She's a grating kind of crazy to me. 

• Love 1

Just don't get the whole chartered school focus. Guess it's Michelle's version of the dumb Dune puppet play.

The parents are suppose to be impressed by some puppet play instead of an actual curriculum? Is Dune even appropriate material for elementary school kids?

• Love 4

Tina and Dudley should get together. I hate Tina. The way she laughed at Alex in the car really set my teeth on edge. Who does she think she is? 

She's a grating kind of crazy to me. 

I feel like I should hate Tina more, but the actress really sells her.  She is a spoiled entitled party girl who is past her prime, however Amanda Peet really gives her depth.

I was happy that they had a thirty five plus single woman who was not marriage and baby crazy.  Sigh...they of course had to ruin that this year.

The reason she does not want to give Alex a shot, is that she is shallow.  Until the baby fever, she was happy to play house with a wealthy and powerful man that she had no real feelings for.  In her mind, Alex is not good enough for her as a life partner.  Even though he has gotten fit, he is still unconventionally good looking at best and she has no idea about the big money he is going to make on his new gig.  So for her, he can not offer the stability she craves.

I hope they do not go the route with her all of sudden wanting to be with him when she finds out how much money he is making.  Of course, with only one episode left, these characters are probably not going to be fully explored.

Just don't get the whole chartered school focus. Guess it's Michelle's version of the dumb Dune puppet play.

The parents are suppose to be impressed by some puppet play instead of an actual curriculum? Is Dune even appropriate material for elementary school kids?

The charter school, rightly or wrongly, fulfills Michele and gives her sense of community.  I think she actually probably had an affair, because she confused her excitement for the project for an all consuming passion with that guy. Being Michelle (and not Brett) she also needs something that at least on the surface seems selfless.  The charter school will help the children, this is what she tells herself, in order to believe it is not all about her needs.

Brett understands that he is needy.  He sometimes can retreat into his own world and frankly not care about those around him.  It was awful that Michelle cheated on him and I understood his initial devastation.  However, he has been using her bad behavior as "free pass card" to do whatever he wants with only a part time responsibility for his family.

I wish this show had a third season.  I do not need it to go on forever, but one more season would have been perfect, to more deeply explore these lives.

• Love 3

I'm going to miss this show a lot. The character portraits are masterful, especially Tina's over-the-hill party girl, and the absurd moments like Dudley distracting the cops by dropping his pants and whizzing in the street have me hooked. I agree it could really use one more season to wrap up.

• Love 1

Am I the only one that bothered? Disturbing the environment for your stupid little play?

Oh, heck no. My anger and irritation grew and grew the longer that escapade went on. Not only are they stealing sand (which takes an immensely long time to form naturally, and costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to restore), but then they go on an attempted destruction-of-property spree to load the truck. The impromptu workout camp was clever, but I guess I'm too much of a rule-follower to find theft and destruction cute.*

*I'm super-lame and rule-oriented, though, as I also hated the pissy-fit Michele threw at the park last season when she confronted the birthday party group. If a park can be reserved through the appropriate route, them's the breaks. Yeah, the 20-something hippie group could have been cooler about it, but that was 100% asshole on Michelle's part to act as though the rules should be broken for her pathetic, self-involved "crisis" of my-husband-enjoys-reading-a-book-in-quiet.

• Love 3
My anger and irritation grew and grew the longer that escapade went on. Not only are they stealing sand (which takes an immensely long time to form naturally, and costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to restore), but then they go on an attempted destruction-of-property spree to load the truck. The impromptu workout camp was clever, but I guess I'm too much of a rule-follower to find theft and destruction cute.*

I grew up in southern California and we were raised to respect the beach. There are signs everywhere saying not to remove anything (sand, sea life, etc). We also have problems with erosion at some of our beaches to the point where we have to have sand trucked in to certain beaches every few years and there are others where rocks have been brought in to slow the erosion. So for someone who grew up like this, seeing people load barrels of sand from a public beach and then break playground equipment is almost rage inducing. We used to spend our summers at the beach and we could always spot the tourists because they were the ones lifting starfish out of the tidepools and waving them around or leaving their garbage behind on the sand.

• Love 5

I grew up in southern California and we were raised to respect the beach. There are signs everywhere saying not to remove anything (sand, sea life, etc). We also have problems with erosion at some of our beaches to the point where we have to have sand trucked in to certain beaches every few years and there are others where rocks have been brought in to slow the erosion. So for someone who grew up like this, seeing people load barrels of sand from a public beach and then break playground equipment is almost rage inducing. We used to spend our summers at the beach and we could always spot the tourists because they were the ones lifting starfish out of the tidepools and waving them around or leaving their garbage behind on the sand.

Hey now!! Anything for Michelle's precious charter school!! **** the beach, **** the swing, and **** Dudley's future.  Didn't you see she had an evil rival ???   

:P

One thing I do not understand though, if the permission (hard to get per last season) was to build a charter school, could the rival really change it to French speaking private school ???

• Love 1

I really enjoy this show and I'm sad that it is ending.  

I would really love a show with just Tina and Michelle.  I loved Michelle last season and this season I'm loving Tina just as much.  I can watch these two endlessly and just want more of them.  I loved Michelle screaming at Brett, but equally loved the look on her face as she sees Brett with the Uber girl. I can't get enough of Melanie Lynskey, even if I don't agree with everything she does.

For my part, I keep saying to myself, "I remember hating Amanda Peet, long, long ago. What was my reasoning about that?"

Always loved Melanie, but really enjoy having my mind changed about Amanda. And yeah, I would watch the hell out of their show.

On 4/8/2016 at 11:18 PM, bunnywithanaxe said:

For my part, I keep saying to myself, "I remember hating Amanda Peet, long, long ago. What was my reasoning about that?"

She was presented as the next "it" girl for a while.  She was supposed to be the next Julia Roberts for the Gen X set.  The problem was that she, at that time, had not really done anything to earn that praise besides being pretty and having a toothy grin.  It was not her fault, she was just badly over marketed.

• Love 1