Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2017 at 1:02 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I'd move to Orlando in a heartbeat. I couldn't do the Midwest. I can handle a hurricane, but tornadoes scare the bejesus out of me. 

The hubby wants to stay on the east coast. He likes Virginia because we're 3 hours to D.C., 6 hours to Pennsylvania and 12 hours to both Florida and New England. If we were to move, I'd love to either go to Williamsburg or somewhere on the Pennsylvania/Delaware border. Delaware has no sales tax and we'd be close enough to Lancaster to visit regularly. 

A lot to consider. We are thinking about Pennsylvania.  Can't take heat.

My Houston friend was very worried yesterday because the water was about a foot from his house.  Fortunately, the water has subsided today.  His neighborhood got 48" of rain.  I can't even imagine.

He was bedridden last week with an infection for 8 days with a 102 temperature so wasn't able to go out to stock up on supplies.  (Don't ask why his wife didn't go - she's a piece of work.)  Anywho, today a small convoy of big, tall pickup trucks went through the neighborhood handling out food, water and TP.  He was getting low on food.  He waded out and asked them which organization they were with.  They were just nice folks who banded together to help out in neighborhoods where the streets are impassable.  He got a bag of food and offered to pay.  They refused his money.  He was misty eyed by their kindness.

56 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

Cricket, I'm sorry to hear of your upsetting news. Sending you prayers. 

You haven't seen Beat Bobby Flay? Since he wasn't doing the Iron Chef America anymore (unless they bring it back) they gave him Beat Bobby Flay. It's different than Throw Down. It's where 2 chefs come to his turf. The 2 cheftestants first have to outcook each other with a secret ingredient of Bobby's choice. Which ever chef wins the first round gets a chance to beat Bobby with their signature dish. Lots of smack talk against Bobby poking fun at him, some lovingly some not. Three judges do a blind taste test to decide the winner at the end. He doesn't always win. Bobby has a gentler, more approachable attitude on this show. I like him on these. 

About his private life, I never liked Stephanie. She seemed like her character on Law & Order. All business, stiff, haughty, unable to admit to being human. I've seen her on interviews. 

There has been speculation that Bobby and Giada had an affair which precipitated the demise of both of their marriages. 

I think it came out that Bobby was with his assistant on and off for a while.  I heard of him and Giada, probably a quickie.  Heard about Giada and John Mayer too.  Giada's marriage was strange.  

I saw an ad for BBF but I tend to not like contest shows.  I really liked the chemistry between him and his assistants.  They kept him in check.

Stephanie does seem haughty but I liked her when she was on his shows before they got married.  She spoke of her home State of Texas often.  But she acted like a jerk when he was getting his Walk of Fame Star and she hired a plane to fly over him with a banner that read "CHEATER".  They use to have an instagram for their cat "Tacocat".  It was really cute and funny.  Bobby lost him in the divorce.  He gets a lot of coverage in our NY news.

Thank you, TexasTiffany and HissyFit.

Can't put it in words the terror, but also the appreciation for the good thoughts from all of you.

CarpDiem54 - good news for your friend. Much relief there, I am sure.

5 hours ago, Cricket said:

This butterfly spent a long time visiting my Butterfly bush yesterday

Today we got some upsetting news that more "concerning" spots were detected on his liver on last Friday's CTScan

I am shattered.  Prayers appreciated. Waiting on a call from the oncologist to let us know when they can start Chemo. It had to be interrupted in late June to do his liver tumor surgery on July 13th. Then the blood clots... It never seems to end unfortunately.

butterfly.jpg

Damn Cricket.  Sorry to hear it.  

1 hour ago, Booney said:

Cricket - not much that I can add that other posters haven't said already, but you and Joe are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you. All. Just had a "mini breakdown" by myself upstairs. Can't do it in front of Joe. Now my asthma kicked in, I am dizzy and I have a headache.

I'm not in a mood to see a wheel cover right now tell me, "life if good". Sorry. :(

37 minutes ago, Denver Hoosier said:

I hope this doen't upset anyone, but I haven"t shared a pic of my littles in quite some time and I got the cutest one today, so I am sharing.  They are gettng too big too quickly.

@Denver Hoosier, your littles are adorable! Take LOTS of pictures and look at them often! 

Edited by TexasTiffany
38 minutes ago, Denver Hoosier said:

I hope this doen't upset anyone, but I haven"t shared a pic of my littles in quite some time and I got the cutest one today, so I am sharing.  They are gettng too big too quickly.

FB_IMG_1504132338432.jpg

So cute! Love the little guy's red hair!

56 minutes ago, Denver Hoosier said:

FB_IMG_1504132338432.jpg

How could anyone possibly be upset while seeing these precious babies? I think they are precious gems. TY for sharing with us.

@Cricket praying for healing, peace and strength. 

2 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

FB_IMG_1504132338432.jpg

Oh, thank you for sharing this!  They are getting big!  So stinking cute, the both of them!

4 hours ago, Day2Day said:

Excedrin migraine... My headache drug-of-choice

It is good stuff - a little tip though......I use Excedrin Extra Strength.  Exact same thing as Excedrin Migraine, but everywhere I go, that Migraine version is $1.50 more.  It's the exact same pill as Extra Strength! 

Marketeers are geniuses!

4 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

FB_IMG_1504132338432.jpg

How cute! And they have a neat little playhouse.

Hoping to give y'all a laugh --

I'm thinking about clothes, now that fall is coming. Did you know that BIWOS is just about the most popular clothing in the country? With BIWOS, you can get great styles and great fit without spending much.

Of course, things don't always turn out right with BIWOS. The styles can be a little outdated, the colors can be peculiar, and the fit can be a bit off.

For example, suppose you see your frugal husband walking out the door in pants so loose and floppy they look like parachutes, or a shirt so baggy he could be wearing a flotation vest under it and nobody could tell. You ask him, "Why in the world are you wearing that thing?"

He looks at you like you're crazy, and says "BIWOS!"

Because It Was On Sale!

Edited by Coffeecup
10 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

FB_IMG_1504132338432.jpg

Little Man and Baby Girl!  Cute as bugs' ears!

Thanks, everyone!  Those two little people are the reason I get up every morning. I am so glad I live close to them and can see them weekly as they grow and change.

The pic was taken at a place called Tiny Town. It's a family attraction in Colorado that is a "town" full of child-sized buildings that the little ones can go inside of and explore.  It is very popular with families and makes a nice summer day outing.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:46 PM, Cricket said:

This butterfly spent a long time visiting my Butterfly bush yesterday

Today we got some upsetting news that more "concerning" spots were detected on his liver on last Friday's CTScan

I am shattered.  Prayers appreciated. Waiting on a call from the oncologist to let us know when they can start Chemo. It had to be interrupted in late June to do his liver tumor surgery on July 13th. Then the blood clots... It never seems to end unfortunately.

butterfly.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear this about Joe, @Cricket.  Prayers being sent.

@Cricket - the important thing is that Joe is still with you.  Each new day is a little victory.  I know from experience how tough it is to have to just sit by and watch a loved one battle cancer, knowing there is nothing you can actually do but wait and stsy supportive.  But you are succeeding, and your strength goves your hubby strength.

Just take everything one day at a time.  It is all more manageable in small bites.

5 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

@Cricket - the important thing is that Joe is still with you.  Each new day is a little victory.  I know from experience how tough it is to have to just sit by and watch a loved one battle cancer, knowing there is nothing you can actually do but wait and stsy supportive.  But you are succeeding, and your strength goves your hubby strength.

Just take everything one day at a time.  It is all more manageable in small bites.

Thank you DH. I am having a particularly hard time of it this week.

I am under 50 but this seemed like fairly good advice. BTW this woman is beautiful.

5 Makeup Tips For Older Women By 64 Year Old Makeup Artist Turned Super Model Cindy Joseph!

Cindy Joseph’s makeup tips for Boomers

1. Use cream-based, not powder-based cosmetics on your face. Powder adds texture to skin that already has developed texture.

2. A good rule of thumb for lipstick is to find a tone that matches the inner lip or gums.

3. Women older than 50 tend to lose definition in their eyebrows. Just go with that. Don’t recreate the brows you had in your 20s.

4. This is a hard one, but do not wear any eye shadow at all (and especially no contour eye shadow in the crease because it gives the appearance of deepening the crease). A little bit of mascara is OK.

5. Tinted moisturizers don’t work. If you’re going to use a foundation to even out skin tone, find one that gives coverage but doesn’t add texture. Be willing to spend money on a foundation and take your time to experiment and find the exact right shade. Matching your skin tone exactly is critical.

Joe is at the hospital for chemo today. They had him every other Monday before the tumor in his liver was found. Now it will be every Monday for 7 weeks. They said he has an aggressive form of cancer. Duh. I have been questioning them for months. They are testing him to see if he has this B-Rath Mutation. I looked it up and I am sickened. I have never been so terrified in my life. I am at work now and I can not even function.

"Some 5% to 10% of patients with colorectal cancer harbor the BRAF mutation, placing them at risk for poor treatment response and worse outcomes. The ASCO Post interviewed S. Gail Eckhardt, MD, an expert in this area who is Professor and Head of the Division of Medical Oncology at the University of Colorado Cancer Center and holds the Stapp-Harlow Endowed Chair in Cancer Research. Dr. Eckhardt also directs the Program for the Evaluation of Targeted Therapy, a multidisciplinary effort focused on finding alternative treatments for colorectal cancer and melanoma"

Cricket, I am coming out of lurking mode (1st time in years of reading these boards) to let you know that you and Joe are in my thoughts and prayers.  I can't imagine what you are going through.

3 hours ago, lalady said:

love and my prayers to you.....

Thank you. I appreciate this, truly

59 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

{{Cricket and Joe}}  You're both in my prayers.

Thank you so much. 

48 minutes ago, Kudzu said:

Cricket, I am coming out of lurking mode (1st time in years of reading these boards) to let you know that you and Joe are in my thoughts and prayers.  I can't imagine what you are going through.

Thank you so much. I appreciate it, really. In my wildest dreams I never thought I would be going through this. My dad died of colon cancer so this is a nightmare to end all.

15 minutes ago, PearlClutcher said:

My cousin just called.  His eldest son is missing in Galveston .  Apparently his truck was abandoned in a flooded street.  He's an engineer who was sent there to help with water safety.  That is tragically unfunny.  He hasn't turned up for work or called anyone.  He told his father a few days ago he saw some stranded animals, got out and took them in his truck to safety where animal rescue teams were caging them and sending them off to safety.  My cousin, as well as the rest of us, are in panic mode.  I'm praying this turns out well. 

Prayers just offered on your behalf. Seems I am pretty good at praying especially of late. I hope they will be successful and your cousin gets good news soon.

1 hour ago, PearlClutcher said:

My cousin just called.  His eldest son is missing in Galveston .  Apparently his truck was abandoned in a flooded street.  He's an engineer who was sent there to help with water safety.  That is tragically unfunny.  He hasn't turned up for work or called anyone.  He told his father a few days ago he saw some stranded animals, got out and took them in his truck to safety where animal rescue teams were caging them and sending them off to safety.  My cousin, as well as the rest of us, are in panic mode.  I'm praying this turns out well. 

{{PearlClutcher}}  Prayers that he'll be found safe and sound.

4 hours ago, PearlClutcher said:

I hope they find him safe and sound. Maybe his phone battery ran out and he hasn't been able to recharge it. I hope.

@Cricket and Joe and @PearlClutcher so sorry for what you are both going through.

My prayers are with you.  Sending hugs and love.  xo

Edited by imisspuddy
it is so hard to have faith at times like this, hope your friends here can help you carry these burdens

Cricket, sending prayers for you and Joe. Praying hard for his chemo treatment to be successful, and for the tests to show he doesn't have the BRAF mutation.

Pearlclutcher, I hope your cousin's son will turn up safe. I can see how he might be out of touch if he couldn't charge his phone, or couldn't get a signal. However, it's certainly cause for concern that he hasn't shown up for work for a few days and his truck was found abandoned.

6 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Cricket, sending prayers for you and Joe. Praying hard for his chemo treatment to be successful, and for the tests to show he doesn't have the BRAF mutation.

Pearlclutcher, I hope your cousin's son will turn up safe. I can see how he might be out of touch if he couldn't charge his phone, or couldn't get a signal. However, it's certainly cause for concern that he hasn't shown up for work for a few days and his truck was found abandoned.

It could be he couldn't start his vehicle because of the high water or he ran out of gas. 

On 8/31/2017 at 8:40 PM, Byteme said:

I am under 50 but this seemed like fairly good advice. BTW this woman is beautiful.

5 Makeup Tips For Older Women By 64 Year Old Makeup Artist Turned Super Model Cindy Joseph!

1. Use cream-based, not powder-based cosmetics on your face. Powder adds texture to skin that already has developed texture.

2. A good rule of thumb for lipstick is to find a tone that matches the inner lip or gums.

3. Women older than 50 tend to lose definition in their eyebrows. Just go with that. Don’t recreate the brows you had in your 20s.

4. This is a hard one, but do not wear any eye shadow at all (and especially no contour eye shadow in the crease because it gives the appearance of deepening the crease). A little bit of mascara is OK.

5. Tinted moisturizers don’t work. If you’re going to use a foundation to even out skin tone, find one that gives coverage but doesn’t add texture. Be willing to spend money on a foundation and take your time to experiment and find the exact right shade. Matching your skin tone exactly is critical.

#4 is complete bs. So is the one about the eyebrows. I refuse to be relegated to old crow status before my time. I'm over 50. I can make my own damned rules. F**k her. 

14 minutes ago, Girlydiva53 said:

#4 is complete bs. So is the one about the eyebrows. I refuse to be relegated to old crow status before my time. I'm over 50. I can make my own damned rules. F**k her. 

I agree with you on this. You can enhance without coming off like a clown. It doesn't have to be black or white. 

Hi Fellow Snarkers!  I need you advice/help.  My husband and I are wanting to cut the cord and get rid of cable.  Do any of you watch TV using Hulu, Roku, Firestick, Spirit, or any other similar device?  If so, which one is better?  How does it work?  Do you have to have a newer TV?  Do you need fast speed internet?  Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, my3sons said:

Hi Fellow Snarkers!  I need you advice/help.  My husband and I are wanting to cut the cord and get rid of cable.  Do any of you watch TV using Hulu, Roku, Firestick, Spirit, or any other similar device?  If so, which one is better?  How does it work?  Do you have to have a newer TV?  Do you need fast speed internet?  Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I would be interested in the info as well. We hate Spectrum, but they carry MSG so we can watch our hockey games. Otherwise, I would ditch it

1 hour ago, my3sons said:

I have two Mohu Leaf 50 Mile Antennas.  One for the living room and one for my bedroom.  With those I can get all of my local channels, 3 PBS channels (including Create) and a bunch of other over the air channels like Decades, ION, Cozy, QVC and HSN for free.

I also have two Rokus that I use to stream Amazon Videos (I have Prime so I get a bunch of free stuff) and I buy "season passes" to for the few cable shows I like - The Americans,  Better Call Saul, etc.  They're less than $30 per season.  With Amazon you can also subscribe separately to HBO, Showtime and some other cable channels for about $15 month.  You can cancel those at any time, which is handy if you only want to watch, say Game of Thrones, and then cancel when the season is finished.

With Roku you can also get pay services like Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, etc.  I don't have any of those, but I gather they work well.  You can  get many free channels on Roku like Q2, Beauty Q (or whatever it's called), JTV, etc.

You have to have a TV with an HDMI port.  I have older TVs and they both have several of those ports.  You do need a fast internet connection for wi-fi.

You need to check with your internet provider to see if they have a data cap.  Some providers either charge you more or throttle your bandwidth if you exceed their cap.  I have CenturyLink and have never had that problem.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:40 PM, Byteme said:

I'm 68 and I don't pay much attention to these What Older Women Should/Should Not Do lists. (The advice I especially ignore and curse loudly at are the articles on what length hair older women should have. (Screw short hair!) The only thing I would agree with on this list is that lighter colored lipstick looks better on older women -- but not matching your gums. What a weird idea! Why would we want our lips to look like they're blending into our gums?

1. Nope. I always wear powder because my skin is still oily and shiny in the T-zone. Powder also sets your eye makeup and helps keep it from wearing off.

2. Maybe lighter colors of lipstick, but forget matching your gums and inner lips. That tip made me think of Lisa Robertson and her gummy smile, lol.

3. Nope. Your eyebrows frame your face. You'll look too different if you let them disappear.

4. Hell no. Eye shadow 4evah! And always IN THE CREASE! I like the deep-set eye look. I use medium dark brown eye shadow because it makes any above-eye puffiness in the crease area much less obvious. Hell no also to the "little bit" of mascara. Two coats of L'Oreal Voluminous for me.

5. Nope. I quit using foundation years ago. There is no foundation I've ever tried that "gives coverage and doesn't add texture." No matter how much the brand promises the foundation is so light and moist that it won't settle in your fine wrinkles, it always does. Your face looks all right as long as you stay still and have no expression. But as soon as you speak or smile, a whole bunch of little roadmaps appear. I would rather spend my money on a good sunscreen than keep wasting $$$ experimenting with unsatisfactory foundations.

Facial features, skin types, amount of sun damage to the skin, and personal preferences are all too different for these Older Women lists to be very useful. I'd only put one thing on my list: Fix your face and hair to please yourself, not some random "beauty expert" who's never even met you.

Edited by Coffeecup

That author would NOT like me at all.  I do pretty much the opposite of everything she says.  

I switched from cream foundation after meno struck because it gathered in all of my ever-deepening wrinkles.  Powder works great for me, as long as I underlay it with a light layer of moisturizer undeer a layer of primer before applying the powder foundation.  I also have an oily t-zone, even though I am 61.

Matching my lips to my gums? Nooooo.  My always thinnish lips have disappeared into my mouth.  That would just complete the process.  I have (sob) thrown out all of my dark lipstick, which I used to love.  Now I use rose or soft pink shades only.

No. 3 is a nonevent for me as I still have thick brows.

You will have to pry my eyeshadow and liner from my cold dead hands.  My eyes disappear into a sea of beige unless I put a little color there.  Nothing extreme, but definitely something.

I use the powder foundations asdo because they are adjustable, depending on how much you apply.  You are not stuck with one wrong color like you can with cream foundations.

On 8/31/2017 at 11:40 PM, Byteme said:

I'll add my two cents too.

1. I agree with this one for my skin. I've tried the powder based foundations - Bare Minerals, IT Celebration Foundation - and they settled too much in the crinkles around my eyes. Right now I'm using one of the cushion compact foundations. I dab a Kabuki brush into the cushion and it gives a nice, air-brushed look when applied.

2. Ix-nay on this tip. I like some color on my lips. I use one of those 24-hour lipsticks in Blush which is a perfect shade of pink - not too light and not too dark.

3. Ix-nay on this one too. I have decent brows in terms of volume, but their natural color is so light that I look like I don't have brows. So I definitely use brow color.

4. Agree with @Coffeecup and @Denver Hoosier on this one. I'm not giving up my eye shadow. I use an eyelid primer (Urban Decay's is the best), then dust lightly with a neutral color, either a silvery gray or a beige. And I always contour  the crease! Darker gray if I'm using the silvery gray base, or darker brown if I'm using a beige. I also highlight a tiny bit under my brow with a lighter shade. I also use eyeliner and mascara - of course!

5. See my comments about the foundation I use in #1. I use a translucent powder to finish it off because I also still have an oily t-zone at 64.

Some more traumatizing news... a little more than an hour ago, I had to unhook Joe up from the chemo machine. That means I have to inject his port twice with saline solution then an injection of heparin, clip off the iv line remove the bandage and pull the needle out of his port. Now this is stressful under the best of circumstances, but I had a hard time to remove the needle. Come to find out, the idiot nurse at the hospital used a 1 inch needle instead of the 3/4" needle. I was a wreck and had Joe call his oncologist. He has to go in on Tuesday now for a chest xray to be sure the needle did not damage the freaking port! And should he not feel well before that, to go to the ER! I hope his doctor reams a new asshole for this nurse and I told Joe he is never to have her touch him again! My God, even when I worked as a vet tech, we always had to double check the size needles we were using or giving to the doctors! I am so upset.

It has poured all day, I managed to be constructive cleaning most of the day, only had a little while this afternoon when it came to overcome me again. Then this fiasco with the nurse.

On a positive note, made cheese ravioli tonight with the homemade tomato sauce from yesterday and it came out well.