Type keyword(s) to search

Teen Mom / 2: Look Into The Future?

• Start Topic

Ok, so I've been watching the TM franchise since it first started, and as much as I hate to say it, I'm pretty sure these shows now have to end. It has to do with what made the show interesting. Basically, I think breaking the fourth wall was a giant mistake, but I understand why it happened: these kids got so over inflated that their regular lives, it is now impossible for them to have real 'friends' and relationships like regular people, so they could only really interact naturally with producers. Or maybe MTV got tired of going deep down the bench of people we've never seen before and giving them a $200 gift card to best Buy to appear for one of Ryan's soliloquies, I don't know. In any case, now that the kids are so aware (any time a six year old is talking about their mic pack, we've gone too far, in my view), and these idiots are so convinced they're the center of the universe, this show (and I'm afraid for TM2, the better product) is no longer viable. But that doesn't mean say goodbye. It means see you later.

See, when it first started out, this was in large part a study of being poor in America (Farrah notwithstanding). It was less about what it's like to be a parent at that age than it was about how expensive a responsibility kids are, how heavy eh every day bills get. Kailynn, for example, gamed the welfare system for housing and food assistance. Maci lived in a straight shack until this last year. That's baically the first phase of the Teen Mom...then it's obvious when MTV checks start coming in. Every one of these dopes leases a car that's too nice, or rents a house, or goes on ten vacations...it's drunk sailor time. Now, there's no stopping that train by the time we get to this latest season. Everyone's getting new butts, fake lips, starting ill fated businesses...but you can't not pay them, so there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. Essentially, this has become a study of F+ fame, people famous for nothing at all, just famous for fame, becoming separated from the lives they know at an age where they're no where near fully socially developed or capable of adapting appropriately. That's already gotten boring. But I have a fix. 

You turn this into a straight-faced documentary about how money gets fucked up, how young people who think they have the world by the balls because they make a couple hundred grand will immediately fuck that money up, and how they'll end up exactly where they started out. If I'm MTV, I would offer each of these folks what they think is real money today, even if it's $250K each. I'd tell them you can have $100K now, and the other $150K (or $250K or whatever the balance is), I will keep in a trust against which the talent cannot take any loan or whatever (not sure if this is even legal but whatever, it's not like anyone's going to do this really). You can't access the funds until five years from now, after production is complete. Production on what? 

For the money, you sign up for a two hour no holds barred look at your lives five years from now. It's a straight documentary, not led by Dr. Drew, no production crews (all of those people would be talking head sort of "I don't understand why Amber didn't see Matt's scheme coming" interviews). The kids would be 12, the parents nearing 30, That interval gives the current low level of fame time to fade entirely, which I think in cases like Tyler and Catelyn and Maci, it absolutely would. I think watching Farrah claw for the remnants of hers (she is convinced, as others have posted, that she's either a new Kardashian in the wings, or that she's a junior league real housewife) would be grotesque, even more so than now. I know Amber will be broke, that guy is basically a tick. The thing is none of them now have any skills at all, and their 'fame' has morphed into 'notoriety.' If you're the local UPS Store, for example, are you going to want to bother hiring Tyler from Teen Mom? If you're the Anderson IN Cracker Barrel, do you want Amber from Teen Mom as a waitress? I think the answer's no. And I don't think any of them will have the self awareness to take the money MTV gives them up front and invest it in an education. Think about the questions you could ask in five years, think of the potential...how incredibly capitvatingly sad it would be. Which kid is going to Scared Straight? Which kid is developing a reputation in sixth grade? Who's a bully? What happened to your $2M home? Why are you driving a Tercel, when last we saw you, you were in your third Denali? 

Sorry for the length. My other show is a show about their various attorneys, I'd be glad to cover that one, too :). 

• Love 9

(Phone ringing that office "boop boop...BEEE boop" ring). Receptionist answers, "Lovely Law, this is Brenda Jo, how may I direct your...oh, hey....mmhm...mmhm. okay...yep, please hold." (presses button) "Linda?"

(interior of  poorly appointed law office, many Precious Moments on the shelves, woman examining miscellaneous papers) "Yes?"

"Horry County on line three." (lawyer lady sighs heavily, removes reading glasses, pinches the bridge of her nose)

Receptionist: "Linda?"

Linda: "Yeah, I'm here....just...(another sigh)...is she in holding? Am I going to see another mug shot?"

(phone rings again while Linda steels herself to pick up the first line...Brenda Jo back on the line, inaudible, then pops back up on Linda's office)

Receptionist: "Line 5, it's her, I'm pretty sure she's drunk, or outside, or driving in a car, maybe I couldn't understand everything, lots of cursing."

Linda: (groans) "This bullshit wasn't in any of those Grisham novels. Put her through."

• Love 2

I thought I read somewhere that the next "Teen Mom" series wouldn't feature any girls from "16 and Pregnant" but rather actual teen moms.  They would be cast specifically for the show.  That would be more interesting.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just want to watch a show where eeeeverything is revealed. It would consist of the producers showing us all the dirt and truth including edited scenes and commentary about what was not captured on camera. I want the dirty grime just like what that one camera person revealed in Reddit.

I want to hear how Catelynn is constantly smoking (pot and cigarettes) when she is not gnawing on her nails. How MTV had to edit out their smoking scenes. The camera lady mentions the filth that is C&T's house including animal shit and cigarette ashtrays overflowing with cigarette butts. How Carly 2.0 ate some of those cigarette butts.

We would hear about the fights at Amber's rental love shack and all the holes in the wall that production had to fix before filming.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 7

I thought I read somewhere that the next "Teen Mom" series wouldn't feature any girls from "16 and Pregnant" but rather actual teen moms.  They would be cast specifically for the show.  That would be more interesting.

Yeah, I believe the are casting for girls in their early 20s who WERE teen moms- so basically, what Teen Mom would have been if these girls hadn't gotten paid. So this cast actually has to be employed outside of MTV and can't afford an endless parade of nannies or fancy vacations.

• Love 3

Yeah, I believe the are casting for girls in their early 20s who WERE teen moms- so basically, what Teen Mom would have been if these girls hadn't gotten paid. So this cast actually has to be employed outside of MTV and can't afford an endless parade of nannies or fancy vacations.

...yet.

I hope it stays that way.

• Love 2

...yet.

I hope it stays that way.

Well, it won't stay that way, exactly. Either this show will be a hit, and they will have means for a major lifestyle change, or, what I think is more likely, the powers that be at MTV/11th Street Productions will ultimately decide that focusing on hard working, educated, goal oriented young moms is "boring" and will revert back to the trashtastic antics of TM and TM2. In that case, this new cast might get a couple thousand bucks and a free trip to NY before fading into oblivion.

• Love 2

Well, it won't stay that way, exactly. Either this show will be a hit, and they will have means for a major lifestyle change, or, what I think is more likely, the powers that be at MTV/11th Street Productions will ultimately decide that focusing on hard working, educated, goal oriented young moms is "boring" and will revert back to the trashtastic antics of TM and TM2.

But isn't that what happened with TM3?  didn't they (for the most part) behave themselves, go to school & their jobs, etc, and no one really tuned in?

But isn't that what happened with TM3?  didn't they (for the most part) behave themselves, go to school & their jobs, etc, and no one really tuned in?

Yes, which is why I think this new show won't last long.

What I remember about TM3 is that none of the girls were interesting in general.  They didn't really have it any more together than the current set of teen moms.  They were just really boring.

• Love 4
(edited)

(Phone ringing that office "boop boop...BEEE boop" ring). Receptionist answers, "Lovely Law, this is Brenda Jo, how may I direct your...oh, hey....mmhm...mmhm. okay...yep, please hold." (presses button) "Linda?"

(interior of poorly appointed law office, many Precious Moments on the shelves, woman examining miscellaneous papers) "Yes?"

"Horry County on line three." (lawyer lady sighs heavily, removes reading glasses, pinches the bridge of her nose)

Receptionist: "Linda?"

Linda: "Yeah, I'm here....just...(another sigh)...is she in holding? Am I going to see another mug shot?"

(phone rings again while Linda steels herself to pick up the first line...Brenda Jo back on the line, inaudible, then pops back up on Linda's office)

Receptionist: "Line 5, it's her, I'm pretty sure she's drunk, or outside, or driving in a car, maybe I couldn't understand everything, lots of cursing."

Linda: (groans) "This bullshit wasn't in any of those Grisham novels. Put her through."

What does any of this mean? Who are these people?

Who do you all think is most likely of the kids to become a teen parent? I'd go with Aleeeeeah Simms for a bunch of obvious (to me) reasons. But if it's just the OG, I'm going with Bentley. Ryan and especially Maci seem obsessed with...I don't want to say sexualizing because that's not the right word but she keeps bringing up girlfriends and Ryan was already talking about Bentley getting with Jayde's friends (still so wtf to me!) Plus, he's seen Ryan's endless gf parade, Maci's endless bf parade and unplanned 2nd and 3rd pregnancies and Jen and Larry are the people who raised Ryan and seem to kiss his ass still. Plus, I feel like everyone overindulges Bentley. It probably isn't the majority opinion but I can easily see him knocking a chick up in 8-10 years even though on paper he shouldn't be the most obvious choice.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 4

What I remember about TM3 is that none of the girls were interesting in general.  They didn't really have it any more together than the current set of teen moms.  They were just really boring.

I agree. I always thought maybe MTV reached their limit of girls we could stand watching, because I really didn't think the TM3 girls were that different.

It probably isn't the majority opinion but I can easily see him knocking a chick up in 8-10 years even though on paper he shouldn't be the most obvious choice.

10?  The way Maci and Ryan are talking they're looking for a kid in 7 years when Bentley's 17, if not earlier. It bothers me a lot.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sorry, that's the pre-title sequence to my show about the team of attorneys who assist all Teen Moms. Jenelle's lawyer is Linda Lovely, of Lovely Law. And that's not something I made up, it's real, the law firm. :) Horry County, SC, is Jenelle's current municipality.

ETA: THis show could also feature Farrah's agent. I'm not sure if he'd be super sleazy ("Endorse this chin lift strap on your twitter feed, they'll give you $3K, and no one will EVER remember the picture of your face in traction!") or some earnest young intern who has her as his only client at a really low-rent talent agency, where he's trying hard to get her work but she won't take a role on a soap opera (think that episode of 30 rock where Lemon had an agent for her Dealbreaker series, Farrah would torture the guy with  "Would Merle Streak (because she doesn't know who Meryl Streep is, just heard the name) do Days of Our Lives, asshole????") and his dickhead much richer and more successful coworkers do stuff like give him her fake pussy when it's secret Santa time around the office. 

Edited by Uncle JUICE

I wish they'd end the show now and check-in in a few seasons too. I feel like we would really get a true picture of these girls lives if they no longer had the safety net of a reality show paycheck.

• Love 2

Well, it won't stay that way, exactly. Either this show will be a hit, and they will have means for a major lifestyle change, or, what I think is more likely, the powers that be at MTV/11th Street Productions will ultimately decide that focusing on hard working, educated, goal oriented young moms is "boring" and will revert back to the trashtastic antics of TM and TM2. In that case, this new cast might get a couple thousand bucks and a free trip to NY before fading into oblivion.

Just because they aren't currently on Teen Mom doesn't mean they are hard working, focused and goal oriented.

I know! I was reading it and thinking "what the hell?!" I had to check to make sure I was in the right thread.

• Love 1

Just because they aren't currently on Teen Mom doesn't mean they are hard working, focused and goal oriented.

What I was getting at was that the article that talked about casting specifically said they were looking for women in their early 20s who had been teen moms who had also finished school, or some kind of post secondary training, so I think they are trying to cast women for this show who are hard working and goal oriented. That said, given the popularity of TM and TM2, and production's decision to focus more on showing relationship drama, if this show is cast the way they say it will be, I have my doubts it will last longer than one season. I'd be happy to be wrong though. I would enjoy a show about smart women who overcame obstacles at a young age.

(edited)
I wish they'd end the show now and check-in in a few seasons too. I feel like we would really get a true picture of these girls lives if they no longer had the safety net of a reality show paycheck.

When they first started doing 16 and P, they wanted it to be a cautionary tale on not getting pregnant at a young age. They even take credit for helping reduce national teen pregnancy rates.

Now, Teen Mom is self congratulatory promotion on how making bad decision can set you up for life on a reality show.  These girls are making small fortunes and patting themselves for all their " accomplishments".

Getting pregnant as a teenager gets you new houses, cars, and forces your parents to be at you beck and call, if they want to see their grandchildren.  Most millennials these girls' age are making salaries in the twenty thousand dollar range, if department of labor stats are correct.

In other words, Mtv, has created a bizarro world, where these teenagers (I include boys in this as well, because the girls did not get pregnant by themselves) who had babies are living the high life in their early twenties...while, in the real world the responsible ones who are working hard are barely scraping by.

They need to stop pretending that this is the way most people who are Teen Moms live.

Also, these horrible sycophant producers need to stop coddling these people.  These girls need this show...I mean who else is going to pay for the mooching boyfriends who do not do housework or childcare, unless they are a con artist trying to steal your money?

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6

When they first started doing 16 and P, they wanted it to be a cautionary tale on not getting pregnant at a young age. They even take credit for helping reduce national teen pregnancy rates.

Now, Teen Mom is self congratulatory promotion on how making bad decision can set you up for life on a reality show.  These girls are making small fortunes and patting themselves for all their " accomplishments".

Getting pregnant as a teenager gets you new houses, cars, and forces your parents to be at you beck and call, if they want to see their grandchildren.  Most millennials these girls' age are making salaries in the twenty thousand dollar range, if department of labor stats are correct.

In other words, Mtv, has created a bizarro world, where these teenagers (I include boys in this as well, because the girls did not get pregnant by themselves) who had babies are living the high life in their early twenties...while, in the real world the responsible ones who are working hard are barely scraping by.

They need to stop pretending that this is the way most people who are Teen Moms live.

Also, these horrible sycophant producers need to stop coddling these people.  These girls need this show...I mean who else is going to pay for the mooching boyfriends who do not do housework or childcare, unless they are a con artist trying to steal your money?

I've thought this too, but then I remember, the race is long. These girls are outearning their 24 year old non parent college graduate employed counterparts, by far, but what about in 20 years? Teen Mom has no retirement benefits. No career training. These girls are going to eventually end up broke with no job prospects, while the $20,000 annual income girls of 2016 are going to keep developing their skills, climbing the corporate ladder, and won't have embarrassing things they did or said on national TV following them for the rest of their lives.

I think Teen Mom IS a cautionary tale of giving girls who already haven't shown the best judgment hundreds of thousands of dollars while they're in their teens, and seeing, with few exceptions, how they waste money, and how the money keeps them from suffering any consequences so they continue to make the same mistakes over and over and don't learn a damn thing. We just have to wait a long time to see the fallout.

• Love 2

Does anyone know if MTV pays for health insurance for the "Teen" Moms? I am just curious if the cost of having more babies has been covered by the show. That would be kind of bizarre if you think about it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Love 2

I think Teen Mom IS a cautionary tale of giving girls who already haven't shown the best judgment hundreds of thousands of dollars while they're in their teens, and seeing, with few exceptions, how they waste money, and how the money keeps them from suffering any consequences so they continue to make the same mistakes over and over and don't learn a damn thing. We just have to wait a long time to see the fallout.

That's exactly the point of my show :). I want to see the hard downfall.

Does anyone know if MTV pays for health insurance for the "Teen" Moms? I am just curious if the cost of having more babies has been covered by the show. That would be kind of bizarre if you think about it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

They're independent contractors and not MTV employees.
  • Love 2
CofCinci, on 04 Mar 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

They're independent contractors and not MTV employees.

I figured it was unlikely but some reality shows pay these perks for their contracted "talent", no? One example is the Honey Boo Boo family, who was covered under health insurance by TLC until well after the show was canceled.

MTV could put money in a trust, but  these girls are still bringing in lots of money through speaking engagements, hosting parties and endorsing various products on Twitter.  I used to follow Jenelle and Kailyn on Instagram, but finally stopped because every post was about some “wonderful” product that they “just couldn’t live without.”  Unfortunately, even with a trust fund, these girls aren’t hurting for money.  They’re famous for essentially doing nothing, like the Kardashians.

• Love 2

10? The way Maci and Ryan are talking they're looking for a kid in 7 years when Bentley's 17, if not earlier. It bothers me a lot.

He just turned 7...so I was saying by the time he's 15-17, which would be in 8-10 years. You thought he was 10?

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 1

He just turned 7...so I was saying by the time he's 15-17, which would be in 8-10 years. You thought he was 10?

Gah, typo, sorry. I meant by the time he's 14... I knew he wasn't 10 yet. Thanks for mentioning it because I even had myself confused there for a minute.