Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Advanced Pretend

I'm not sure being on a plane hungover is good or bad. I guess you can keep drinking but still I don't think I'd want to be on a plane in Brett's condition. Hungover and finding out you wife cheated on you.

I did aw at the Tina and Michelle sister moment in bed. It kind of made me think of me and my sister.

Also okay so Christy I guess passed out when Alex went chasing after Tina and she her car and was still asleep when Brett ran out of the house after Michelle's cheating confession? She had to have been passed out to not I don't know not know that Alex went to Detroit and she obviously seemed to have missed all of the nights action.

I kind of love that obviously Alex's and Brett's shopping trip was basically Mackalomores thrift shop song. And a time travel machine.

I don't really know who I'm supposed to like Christy or Tina. Both of them annoy the hell out of me. And at times I agree with both of them.

I'm glad Brett didn't cheat. Also Brett and Alex's time capsule was fun.

Honestly I'm surprised that we are only on episode three and a lot has happened. Michelle telling Brett about cheating already and the stuff with Alex and Brett.

• Love 2

It is amazing how the characters in this show can do such nasty things and yet still be likable.

My heart broke for Brett.  If my spouse had just told me what Michelle told him, I too would be horribly devastated.  He is lucky to have a friend like Alex.

In the same vein, I wanted to smack him when he had the nerve to complain about Alex talking on the phone.  Yes, Brett, people have professional responsibilities and the world does not stop because you are in a crisis.

Even more then Tina, I think Brett does not want Alex to have something of his own, because Brett needs Alex to be about Brett.  I am beginning to think the kind gestures, like having Alex crash on the couch when he got kicked out of his apartment, were actually subtle sabotages.

In some ways, Brett does not need to be married, because Alex is his emotional spouse and he is much needier with him then the average bromance.  As devastated as Brett will be if he loses Michelle...he probably would be close to suicidal if he loses Alex.

I know Christy is probably a better more mature person then Tina, despite her youth.  However, I feel no need to know her, because she feels like nothing but a plot point.  She is the catalyst that is going to make Tina realize she is in love with Alex and will probably be gone in a hot minute.  I do think Alex is still in love with Tina.  The actress is doing a great job with the sexy cool girl role.

• Love 2

Although I'm not happy about the state of Michelle and Brett's marriage, I like that it gave Alex the opportunity to be a good friend to Brett.

Even though I'm glad that Brett and Alex had it out (very briefly) about their friendship over the last few months, it was annoying that their fight only started because Brett accused Alex of being on his phone all night. Alex was such a great friend the entire trip, totally supportive in every way.

I loved everything about their road trip, from Alex racing through the airport with Brett in a wheelchair and then presenting him with the white shoes at the thrift store (complete with Uncle Eddie voice) to the way Alex kept an eye on him at the party and then drove them to Brett's parents' house to dig up their time capsule. Alex was the very definition of a best friend.

I loved when Brett's dad (Steven Keaton!) came out at 5am and caught them digging up the front yard. I haven't done exactly that, but I totally understand what it's like to be an adult and have your parents look at you like you're a dumb 13 year old. Hee and I also loved that once Brett explained why they were there, his dad just told him to get better tools out of the shed.

Brett and Alex's sheer joy when they finally found their time capsule was adorable. I think I was that excited when I found some of my old childhood stuff too.

Tina was also great because she was obviously a lot more out of her comfort zone. She knows how to be the fun aunt with the kids but all the nitty gritty stuff is not her forte (which is fine because she doesn't have kids). And instead of complaining to Michelle about it, she complimented Michelle and acknowledged how difficult it is to take care of two kids.

• Love 2
(edited)

Nitpick! I'm sure Brett did not have his wallet with him, so there's no way he would have gotten a ticket or gotten on a plane. But... I was willing to overlook that for a fun trip to Detroit.

I really liked Kennedy. I don't know who the actress was, but she was cute, fun, and charismatic. Great little character. The nighttime bike ride was great. Even though I did not want Brett to have sex with her, I enjoyed the bathroom scenes and the ping pong game.

I also loved the thrift shop shopping scenes. I loved the airplane scene where Brett sobbed on Alex's shoulder.

Boy, the show didn't hold anything back when Tina was changing the baby's diaper. So funny how she did it. Peeling it off like that just made it worse. Anyway, I don't know when I've seen so much baby poop in a TV show or movie.

I don't have any problems with Christy. Even if she has it wrong that Alex dumped Tina, I loved that she told Tina they could put aside the politeness and have a real, honest interaction. 

Michelle with the baby was very sweet.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
(edited)

Brett and Alex walking into the bar--greatest moment on TV this year!

It was awesome, particularly when they realized how the crowd was not what they expected.

Hey, it's manic pixie dream girl to the rescue - how original! Not that Brett didn't deserve a distracting getaway, but damn, I could die happy if I never run into that overused trope again.

Last season he got older version of manic pixie dream girl in that rich hippie lady who invited him to her house.  It's were he drank that tea that made him freak out.  Now, we have second version closer to his age.  I guess Brett is the type of repressed guy these type of ladies can not resist.

I feel bad for Brett, but I can not help but feel that if Brett were woman and manic pixie Kennedy was a guy, everyone would be calling her a cock tease.  It felt romantic and she probably feels Brett lead her on.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

Nitpick! I'm sure Brett did not have his wallet with him, so there's no way he would have gotten a ticket or gotten on a plane. But... I was willing to overlook that for a fun trip to Detroit.

Boy, the show didn't hold anything back when Tina was changing the baby's diaper. So funny how she did it. Peeling it off like that just made it worse. Anyway, I don't know when I've seen so much baby poop in a TV show or movie.

I obsessed about the wallet too, but had to handwave it to enjoy the episode. The baby poop gave me flashbacks. Boy am I glad I don't have to deal with that anymore!

So obvious the girl was going to come on to him the moment she appeared on screen and he wasn't going to go through with it.

Their old high school classmates still hang out with each other?

And then Brett and Alex were these precious teen boys who left a message to themselves in a time capsule? That's believable. Teen wisdom for the ages.

• Love 1

Their old high school classmates still hang out with each other?Their old high school classmates still hang out with each other?

It was only two classmates, and Hamtramck is like a small town in the middle of large underpopulated American city. Sadly I'm pretty sure the thrift store they were at recently announced it's closure due to hipster gentrification in the neighborhood.

(edited)

I obsessed about the wallet too, but had to handwave it to enjoy the episode. 

YES!  That really bothered me too!  And his cell phone.  He had run out in the middle of the night in his pajamas.  Did he have his wallet and cell phone in the pocket?  Cause he could not have gotten on a plane without ID.  That really really bugged me.  And it showed him with his cell phone later.

Edited by Momof2boyz

I feel bad for Brett, but I can not help but feel that if Brett were woman and manic pixie Kennedy was a guy, everyone would be calling her a cock tease.  It felt romantic and she probably feels Brett lead her on.

I was most frustrated with this episode because it felt a little sexist with the way Brett and Alex just got to drop everything and have fun and the girls had to stay home and deal with their responsibilities. It doesn't make me like Brett. That was something that bothered me about the first year, he seemed to think he had this right to have fun all the time and then whine about the fact that he couldn't have what he wanted when he wanted. It also bugged the way Brett unloaded on Alex.  I think Brett has some growing up to do and I think his marriage will never heal until he does.

• Love 5

It was only two classmates, and Hamtramck is like a small town in the middle of large underpopulated American city. Sadly I'm pretty sure the thrift store they were at recently announced it's closure due to hipster gentrification in the neighborhood.

So, you seem to be in the know where Detroit is concerned...is Slow Rolling a real thing (I've only heard of it in terms of poker)?

Biking is definitely huge right now in the city with the Yuppie Hipster Scum. Heh. No really it's a good thing, and yes I think they do co-ordinate large group rides, if only because large swaths of downtown (even Midtown where most of them "live, work, play") isn't well lit/populated enough to be riding solo dolo. Detroit is still hurting quite badly in all the big services ways that matter: water, lights, roads, and worst of all schools.

Actually, you can board a plane with no ID whatsoever. It's not easy, and would most definitely take some time, but it happens all the time. Having Alex with his credit card and ID to vouch for him would help somewhat. I travel a lot, and have asked the TSA agents about this, as I couldn't find my ID for about five minutes one trip. I've got a backup, but it still panicked me.

Remember that Alex paid for the tickets and pretty much everything else in Detroit.

The great Mike Rowe posted just a couple of weeks ago on getting to the airport with no wallet or ID. Fortunately for him, he had two magazines with him on the cover in his carry-on bag.

I really liked Kennedy. I don't know who the actress was, but she was cute, fun, and charismatic. Great little character. 

That was Hilarie Burton, best known as Peyton on One Tree Hill.

So, you seem to be in the know where Detroit is concerned...is Slow Rolling a real thing (I've only heard of it in terms of poker)?

At the end of most episodes, after the credits roll, the Duplass brothers do a little behind the scenes about the episode. In this one they explained that slow rolling is a real thing, and the participants chat during the ride about ways to improve their city. The actors were permitted to join a real slow roll to film this scene.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1
On 3/7/2016 at 9:46 AM, peeayebee said:

I really liked Kennedy. I don't know who the actress was, but she was cute, fun, and charismatic. Great little character. The nighttime bike ride was great. Even though I did not want Brett to have sex with her, I enjoyed the bathroom scenes and the ping pong game.

I really liked her too, except that I did want him to have sex with her.  However, I did think it was a bit of a cheat that despite the fact that the actors playing the two guys and Brett's wife are all the same age (born '76 or '77), they used an actor five or six years younger to play Kennedy, to sort of stack the deck in terms of her hotness/hipness.  That's a big age gap when it's between 17 year olds and an 11/12 year old, so I think they kind of put the fix in there.  Also...

On 3/8/2016 at 6:47 PM, scrb said:

So obvious the girl was going to come on to him the moment she appeared on screen and he wasn't going to go through with it.

Yes!  I read a recap which said something like "they avoid the cliche of him actually having revenge sex with her" and I was like "huh?"  To me, the cliche is just what they showed: almost having sex and then thinking better of it.

Otherwise, though, I really enjoyed this episode.  It's a great show overall, and this was possibly my favorite ep thus far.

• Love 1