Type keyword(s) to search

Dalton Rapattoni

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Old enough to be his mother, but lawd I'm smitten with him. LOL Crazy. I just enjoy his personality and I hope he sings something slower this week to show off his chops. Been doing some YT-ing of IM5 and Fly Away Hero and he is a terrific singer/songwriter.

Plus, this cover of Poor Unfortunate Souls from The Little Mermaid...awesome.

• Love 3

Definitely it's the persobality. His eyes, his candidness, the way he performs. He may not have the strongest voice but whatever. He entertains me and keeps me intetested. He seems to have a little bit of humility and honesty to him.

He caught my attention during Hollywood week and has kept it. Glad Poh didn't sink him during group round.

• Love 4

I recommend anyone who likes Dalton to check out his original music on iTunes. He has 3 EPs with his band Fly Away Hero, 2 of them were recorded when he was much younger and he sounds like a baby (they're still good though) and his newest one Lost and Found is effing phenomenal. Then under his solo name he just has 1 song called Stop (sad but beautiful song). He has many more original tunes that exist just in live form for now- my personal recommendations are Ugly, The Rain, Superman, and Trust Nobody. I haven't gotten around to listening to them all yet, he has quite a lot of stuff out there and the quality of the videos usually isn't the best so it's hard to get a feel for the songs. In general he's a fabulous writer though.

This season would be so incredibly boring without Dalton. He's the first contestant or musical artist in general to come along in a long long time that has gotten my attention like this. He's incredibly compelling and has that intangible star quality that just draws you in, makes you want to enter his world and know more about him.

If anyone has any questions about Dalton or his music, I'll be happy to answer them. I've done quite a bit of research on him and read every little thing I can find about him and have watched lots of his interviews. Besides checking out his music, I also recommend seeking out any interviews you can find of him (the ones with IM5 are especially hilarious), he has the BEST sense of humor I've ever seen and he's just adorable in all of them. I swear it will make you fall even more in love with him.

Dalton is just the complete package IMO, especially out of this year's contestants. Talent, looks, charm, performing ability, charisma, humor, humility, versatility, creativity, kind... Just give him the fucking trophy already and get it the hell over with. If this boy doesn't become a star, then I don't know who can. 10 years ago when punk pop was more popular as a genre he would have been a star for sure.

• Love 2

He's pretty much operating in a space this show never had the guts to explore/cast for until its last season. I mean he can't be the first full-fledged disciple of Emo bands to audition, but he's the first I think to get to live shows. Adam Lambert, Daughtry, and even David Cook all had SOME of that (Lambert came very close, but was a bit more into Glam Rock).

So I expect if they can clear it, we'll be hearing My Chemical Romance, All-American Rejects, Fall Out Boy, Jimmy Eats World, etc. Stuff like that from him... which has only briefly impacted this show for the rare one-off performance when some contestant jumped to this kind of song for one week.

Honestly I hope he doesn't do any of those artists. It would be extremely predictable and cliche. I like that so far, maybe with the exception of Hey There Delilah (although he even changed that up in a new and unexpected way), he has been doing unexpected songs and flipping them to fit his style (Phantom of the Opera, California Dreamin, Hopelessly Devoted To You, Rebel Yell, It's Gonna Be Me). He is David Cook-ing it this season and that strategy obviously worked extremely well for David, so I'd like to see Dalton do the same thing. I want to see him have an Always Be My Baby, Billie Jean, Hello type moment. Those iconic performances that people still remember and are remembered as some of the greatest performances of the entire show. I don't want Dalton to ever get predictable, part of his appeal is that he is unpredictable yet still manages to be consistently good. He's interesting and you never know what he's going to do next. 

(edited)

(shrugs)

If he keeps to that pattern he'll just be Emo-izing those other songs I guess. I mean it's about a style of performance, not the actual songs of artists in that genre.

And it's not like bands like 5 Seconds of Summer and The Vamps don't still exist being successes in well.. not exactly Emo, but whatever the fuck that kind of song delivery is called these days. It's marketable and I've always wondered why the show always avoided it (and were shocked by David Cook and Adam Lambert, who got in the neighborhood, even if they weren't staying in the same house Dalton is trying to occupy now).

Edited by Kromm

Dalton is just the complete package IMO, especially out of this year's contestants. Talent, looks, charm, performing ability, charisma, humor, humility, versatility, creativity, kind... Just give him the fucking trophy already and get it the hell over with. If this boy doesn't become a star, then I don't know who can. 10 years ago when punk pop was more popular as a genre he would have been a star for sure.

Except for the fact that his voice is only about middle of the pack among this Top 10 and he has a tendency to over-emote on many of his performances.  In a way he's like the polar opposite of Sonika, who has great vocal dynamics but has tended to be too wooden in most of her performances.  Sonika took a step in the right direction last week, so lets see if Dalton can do the same by reigning it in a bit when appropriate. The fact that he can write music and has his own artistic vision speaks well for his future, but he still has areas in which he can improve.

Wouldn't doing something by one of the Emo bands represent a real change of pace at this point?  I'd like to see what he can do with a song that is supposedly right down his alley, even if its just once.

• Love 1

Plus, this cover of Poor Unfortunate Souls from The Little Mermaid...awesome.

I give him points for trying, but... Even the Jonas Bros. did a better job, and I hate them. The song is way too situation-specific to work as a cover anyway.

Except for the fact that his voice is only about middle of the pack among this Top 10 and he has a tendency to over-emote on many of his performances. In a way he's like the polar opposite of Sonika, who has great vocal dynamics but has tended to be too wooden in most of her performances. Sonika took a step in the right direction last week, so lets see if Dalton can do the same by reigning it in a bit when appropriate. The fact that he can write music and has his own artistic vision speaks well for his future, but he still has areas in which he can improve.

Wouldn't doing something by one of the Emo bands represent a real change of pace at this point? I'd like to see what he can do with a song that is supposedly right down his alley, even if its just once.

His voice is generic yes but I don't think that matters all that much, at least outside of the show. He can sing well enough for the type of music that he does and has proven he can at least sing competently live without the use of autotune or lip syncing. I'd rather have somebody with an average voice plus looks, charisma, personality, etc. than a contestant with the perfect voice but nothing else. I do agree sometimes he tends to be overdramatic in his performances, like how he always has to give the camera that "look." I think either someone told him to do that or he knows the audience will go crazy because everyone loves his eyes.

Dalton Rapattoni's Vocal Coach Dishes on the American Idol Contender.

Interesting that auditioning with "Phantom" was his idea--smart, too.

(I'd love to know which "AI alums" she's coached.)

Love the article! Thanks for posting! I love to read any and all things I can find about him. :)

• Love 1

I'd rather have somebody with an average voice plus looks, charisma, personality, etc. than a contestant with the perfect voice but nothing else.

Well, whether or not Dalton has those qualities and other contestants don't is debatable. But I can see why he'd be catnip to viewers who like pretty white guys and a faux rock sound.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, whether or not Dalton has those qualities and other contestants don't is debatable. But I can see why he'd be catnip to viewers who like pretty white guys and a faux rock sound.

I can't speak for anyone else but this definitely isn't why I personally like him at all.... I like him because I think his voice is pleasant, he's a generally good singer (he has never gone off pitch like the majority of contestants this year have, might I point out), he's an exciting and engaging performer, lots of charisma, funny sense of humor, very humble and self deprecating, he's a fabulous songwriter, and I genuinely like and enjoy all his music and performances and I find him interesting to watch. His looks are just a bonus, but even if he looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame I'd still like his musical abilities. And I find his "faux rock" sound to be genuine and authentic.

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 3

No, Dalton doesn't have the "best" voice in the competition--but a successful singer is never just about the pipes. He does have a very good voice indeed, and, even more important to me, he's very creative.

I've seen people say that it's not that big a deal to just "flip" a song, but that's understating things. It's no small thing to recognize a song that's robust enough to work when taken out of it's intended genre/dynamic/mood; to figure out which direction to flip it (it's not so much about speed as about what mood do you get, how far do you go, which way do you go); to pick the part of the lyrics that will still make sense in a changed arrangement. It's particularly hard to do without actually changing the melody. And Harry, with his jazz background, is the last person who'd mistake random change-for-the-sake-of-change for genuine creative choices, even if it's just a question of recognizing when someone else has done an arrangement that works, and that works for him and his style. Me, I see Dalton as someone who is already a very good songwriter with enough creativity to make me interested in seeing what he produces in the future, however far he gets in this competition. I suspect it will never be quite what anyone else expects.

• Love 2

I recommend anyone who likes Dalton to check out his original music on iTunes. He has 3 EPs with his band Fly Away Hero, 2 of them were recorded when he was much younger and he sounds like a baby (they're still good though) and his newest one Lost and Found is effing phenomenal. Then under his solo name he just has 1 song called Stop (sad but beautiful song). He has many more original tunes that exist just in live form for now- my personal recommendations are Ugly, The Rain, Superman, and Trust Nobody. I haven't gotten around to listening to them all yet, he has quite a lot of stuff out there and the quality of the videos usually isn't the best so it's hard to get a feel for the songs. In general he's a fabulous writer though.

This season would be so incredibly boring without Dalton. He's the first contestant or musical artist in general to come along in a long long time that has gotten my attention like this. He's incredibly compelling and has that intangible star quality that just draws you in, makes you want to enter his world and know more about him.

If anyone has any questions about Dalton or his music, I'll be happy to answer them. I've done quite a bit of research on him and read every little thing I can find about him and have watched lots of his interviews. Besides checking out his music, I also recommend seeking out any interviews you can find of him (the ones with IM5 are especially hilarious), he has the BEST sense of humor I've ever seen and he's just adorable in all of them. I swear it will make you fall even more in love with him.

Yeah, I wondered if he was for-sure "the primary writer", because he's the real deal - and i speak as someone who tried to write songs. There is an art to melody, I don't have it, everything I tried sounded like a nursery rhyme; but to take a melody in unexpected directions that are yet eminently satisfying to the ears when they unfold - he's also not "just" taking things in unexpected directions, I can clearly hear other musical influences and genres my ears aren't smart enough to pin down. 

Also glad you pointed that out about his LPs available on iTunes; it was striking because I thought his vocals improved appreciably already between albums #1 and #2, and the songwriting appreciably between #2 and #3.  He may not have the best vocals in the competition, but he's lucky enough to have "that marketable sound/tone" the labels go for.

• Love 1

Yeah, I wondered if he was for-sure "the primary writer", because he's the real deal - and i speak as someone who tried to write songs. There is an art to melody, I don't have it, everything I tried sounded like a nursery rhyme; but to take a melody in unexpected directions that are yet eminently satisfying to the ears when they unfold - he's also not "just" taking things in unexpected directions, I can clearly hear other musical influences and genres my ears aren't smart enough to pin down.

Also glad you pointed that out about his LPs available on iTunes; it was striking because I thought his vocals improved appreciably already between albums #1 and #2, and the songwriting appreciably between #2 and #3. He may not have the best vocals in the competition, but he's lucky enough to have "that marketable sound/tone" the labels go for.

TBH I don't know the writing credits of the songs, but I know for sure that Hercules and Superman were both written with his friend and former IM5 band mate Will (who has sat in the audience for all his performances on Idol so far by the way). And Misunderstood I think is originally from the movie Grace Unplugged but he changed it around a bit so I guess it's kind of like he wrote it? Or at least made his own version. The others I think he's the primary writer but TBH I'm not sure.

I agree his very first EP done when he was like 14, the songwriting sounds understandably juvenile. I still like it though, very good pop punk teen angsty songs. The second EP was done only a year later and the songwriting got a bit darker and more metaphorical. Lost and Found was done I think 4 years after that, after his experience being around industry professionals, and wow what a difference in the quality of the lyrics. Dalton is an incredible lyricist IMO. Even this completely silly song he wrote about maaturbation called Loaded Gun has artfully written lyrics lol

He's definitely very marketable, not just in appearance, but his sound and songs. It's a shame because 10 years ago when this sound was more popular he would have been undoubtedly been a star. The genre is still somewhat popular like 5 Seconds of Summer, The Vamps, etc. but I don't know how much people are into pop punk anymore or if record labels know how to market them anymore. I'm scared that if he wins Borchetta will have no idea what to do with him. They only seem to know how to market country artists and even then, only a few are really doing well. As far as reality winners go, they did zilch for Danielle Bradbery's last single and the new single they've released for Nick Fradiani doesn't even sound like him.

• Love 2

Listening to his music and watching tons of videos has given me a good idea of what Dalton is all about. He has a darkness in him that I am drawn to. The song, Madison's Favourite Toys reminds me of the vitriol that Lindsey Buckingham wrote on Fleetwood Mac's album, Tusk.

I think even Dalton would say he is not the greatest singer in the world, but, he can work with coaches on making his voice stronger, but personally, I like his melodic voice. I find myself humming the tunes he has done on the show, in the melodies that he did. His pronunciation of words intrigues me.

He has had some rough times, being bi-polar and all, so he definitely uses music to work through all that. I can tell he had issues when he was in IM5. He wears his feelings on his face. I love some of those IM5 songs though!

Madonna is not that great of a singer, but man, does she have everything else! Dalton should have a long, amazing career after Idol. I sure hope so, anyway.

• Love 3

I think Dalton''s confidence took a hit with this week. I loved his performance but I also think it was shaky at times and I think it's due to confidence. His took a hit and even with the experience he has under his belt he seems to be suffering from it.

I hope he survives into next week and it helps with the confidence. He knows he has major competition and hopefully he'll be able to get past it and not psyche himself out of this.

Once again I liked his intro too. He really is hitting all the right notes with me.

Also I love his eyes and tonight's performance showed that the camera does too.

• Love 1

Last night was easily his weakest showing yet. I think most of it was actually due to his having the flu (mentioned on Twitter he was at the doctor again the other day) and a sinus infection. He really didn't sound his best at all and was drowned out by the band, he sounded weak at the ends of his phrases. And one of the background singer's mics was turned up incredibly loud at one point, which I assume was a sound error. Given that he was first I wonder if there was a sound mixing issue. His performance was entertaining and I give him major kudos for doing what he could with being so sick, even going for the high notes. But I'm disappointed he didn't do anything different with the song and the arrangement just kind of sat there. Looking back on the performances, I think with the exception of maybe Trent. Tristan, and Avalon, almost everyone had an off night or subpar performance. The night in general was underwhelming for me. At least Dalton has an excuse. But I agree his confidence also seems to be wavering. He's way too hard on himself. It's one thing to be humble and self deprecating, it's another to start to be competitive with others and think you have to do what they do or get inside your own head too much and think you have to be someone else. I think he knows that wasn't his best performance and hopefully what the judges said will help him. He should know he deserves to be there and that people like what he does because he is DIFFERENT, that's what's gotten him this far. I think his illness is frustrating him and hopefully when he's 100% healthy again that he returns to that performer we all know and love. He should listen to that Demi Lovato song, there's nothing wrong with being confident. 

I hope that he is OK. Was hoping for an acoustic performance last night. I know many of them have been sick, so that might be why his performance was just OK.

He did not seem his usual smiling self after singing. Something seemed wrong. Hoping it is nothing serious and he blows it out of the water next week.

• Love 1

I hope that he is OK. Was hoping for an acoustic performance last night. I know many of them have been sick, so that might be why his performance was just OK.

He did not seem his usual smiling self after singing. Something seemed wrong. Hoping it is nothing serious and he blows it out of the water next week.

I think he was mad at himself afterwards knowing it wasn't his best. He seemed kind of pissed and upset for the rest of the night. He even told Ryan he's hard on himself. I think he's probably being a bit too hard on himself, it definitely wasn't his best performance but he also had the flu and still did an admirable job considering.

On the plus side he looked adorable during the Demi performance! I found it strange though that they didn't let any of the guys sing during that? Weird.

• Love 1

He said in an interview after the show that he felt the same way the judges felt all week... I'm confused. If he thought it wasn't the best song for him, then why didn't he change it? He must have done an ok job with it in rehearsals if Scott didn't tell him he should change it. I hope next time he listens to his instincts more and that if something doesn't feel right, he should change it. 

• Love 1

That song was too big for him imo. ANd bandzilla was drowning him out anyway.

I agree, the band was drowning him out. There was something seriously weird going on with the sound- at one point a male backup vocalist could clearly be heard and was singing way louder than Dalton was. It was weird. I think maybe because he was first it was like the sound person was having a difficult time getting the mix right.

He gives me the willies

He's seriously so slimy. Apparently what he said about Tristan in his interview earlier in the day yesterday was that he made it seem like the song change was Tristan's idea. Then he also threw La'Porsha under the bus and gave her the Clark Beckham treatment. He praised Jax to high heaven last year yet never signed her. He's slimy. Seriously if it weren't for Taylor Swift I don't think this guy would have any leg to stand on. He has no other success stories besides her and Taylor probably would have been famous anyway. None of the other acts on Big Machine are all that successful. He's been talking about how great Danielle Bradbery's new music is yet did zero promotion for her last single or the one previous to it. His newest offering for Nick Fradiani doesn't even sound remotely like anything Nick would do. Slime ball all around, IMO. Says one thing and does another. Ick.

• Love 1
(edited)

If Dalton wins, the problem is going to be Scott Borchetta.  He's never launched a successful Pop act.  Taylor Swift doesn't count, since her initial success was really Country music.

Borchetta has proven to be a snake. By the time Nick Fradiani's CD comes out, it would have been a year since he won.  Wasted momentum. 

Dalton would have been better off with Jimmy Iovine and Interscope.  Look at what they did with Phillip Phillips.  Interscope is a much bigger and more successful label than BMLG.

Edited by ifoundit
  • Love 4
(edited)

If Dalton wins, the problem is going to be Scott Borchetta.  He's never launched a successful Pop act.  Taylor Swift doesn't count, since her initial success was really Country music.

Borchetta has proven to be a snake. By the time Nick Fradiani's CD comes out, it would have been a year since he won.  Wasted momentum. 

Dalton would have been better off with Jimmy Iovine and Interscope.  Look at what they did with Phillip Phillips.  Interscope is a much bigger and more successful label than BMLG.

THIS ^^^^

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Fourth ain't bad. Of course, second or third can be good, too! I'm sure he'd prefer to win, but really, being any of the the last several standing can be a good launching spot for a career. It's about the exposure and what the artist does with it--and if they attract the right kind of attention, like from a manager or label that would be a good fit.

Thing is, AI is sort of a mixed blessing. It can be a boost because of the exposure, which is why it attracts talent--but it can also be a negative with music critics and producers, because quite a lot of them look at an AI credit and think "TV" instead of "music." You pays your money and you takes your chances.

• Love 2

Billboard didn't love the song choice for Dalton, but added "...Rapattoni is still one of the more interesting artists this season."

Yep.

There's some suspicion that Dalton might have been influenced by TPTB to pick that song. Olivia mentioned she wanted to sing Killing Me Softily this week but the producers told her to do something upbeat and of course she got panned by Harry for not being vulnerable enough. There was something about Dalton's performance that seemed like he wasn't feeling it/into it. It makes me wonder if TPTB stuck their hands into the sauce. We'll probably find out for sure when Slezak interviews him once the season ends.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with all of you about Scott and Big Machine, regarding if Dalton wins. I'm really torn because of course I would love for Dalton to win, I think he'd be very deserving, but I also don't want him to win because I agree with all you guys have said about Scott and BM. He doesn't know how to market anyone besides country artists. Nick is their first testing with a pop act (not counting Swift because of reasons already mentioned) and so far I do not like how they are handling him.

On the one hand I like how they are allowing Nick to take his time to make sure he gets a really good album instead of rushing something mediocre, but it has been months since the release of Beautiful Life and just now they are getting a second single out, one which sounds nothing like him at all and is pretty generic, very pop, very Top 40. They've autotuned his voice to the point he sounds like a different person. I don't follow Nick much so I don't know exactly everything he's been up to, but I've seen him make some press appearances here and there so I guess he's at least in the limelight unlike Candice and Caleb were. So that's a plus. But I don't like how his album is being funded through PledgeMusic and I think Dalton would deserve better than that if he won. 

Scott is very slimy IMO, as I stated above. He has shown his true colors with the way he treats certain people, depending on whether he likes them or not. I wasn't even a Clark fan last year but his treatment of him and the way he spoke about Clark publicly was the most disgusting treatment of a contestant I've seen since Haley Reinhart. And he is doing the same thing to poor La'Porsha this year. I hope LP wins just so Scott has to get saddled with her. Hahahahahah

Honestly, while I would love for Dalton to be able to have that title of the American Idol, especially being the last one, and think he's one of the most deserving this year, when we consider everything else that comes after it and his career, I think he'd be best going out somewhere in 4th, 3rd, or runner up. Many amazing contestants have placed in 3rd like Haley, Joshua Ledet, Alex Preston, Angie Miller, Elliot Yamin, Melinda Doolittle, so he'd be in great company. It is not so much winning that matters, even though most of the non-winners haven't got signed in recent seasons, but it's what you do with your platform after the show/elimination that matters. Dalton has independently released music before with Fly Away Hero, so he is not new to doing that and I think he could easily fund something through something like Kickstarter or PledgeMusic. He has enough fans that he could put together at least a small EP. Get himself a good management team and set up a regional tour. He has done it and can do it again. Let TCO Tristan win and she can deal with Scott. Dalton will be fine, no matter what, because he has the experience dealing with releasing music and touring and doing everything on his own that the others don't have.

I think if Dalton by chance does sign with any label in the event he doesn't win, I think he'd be a great fit for Wind Up Records. I'm pretty sure that's where Evanescence is or was and James Durbin too. He needs to be with a label that understands alternative rock artists. I have the feeling Scott would have no clue how to market a pop punk/alternative rock artist like Dalton. It's probably going to be Tristan, La'Porsha, or MacKenzie that ends up winning. 

ETA: Just looked at Wind Up's Wiki page to see who's on their roster. Formerly they had Emily Osment (co-starred in Hannah Montana, younger sister of Haley Joel Osment) who is a little more similar to Dalton's genre as she was pop/rock so they have experience marketing someone in that genre/style and of course like I mentioned they had James Durbin, so they have experience marketing a former Idol contestant as well. 

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 2

Borchetta only back Nick, because he didn't want Clark and threw him under the bus on national TV.  Jax was really his favorite.  Of course, then after the show, Borchetta betrayed her.

I think Dalton is way more marketable as a Pop artist than Nick.  Dalton is actually at a good age to win.  Kelly, Fantasia won when they were 20.  Phillip 21, Carrie 22.  At 30, Nick is to old to launch as a Pop act.  Most of those guys broke out in their early 20's.

I don't know where Dalton ranks with Borchetta.  If Radioactive wasn't a good song choice, where was his mentor, Borchetta?  Too busy pimping his favorites?

Borchetta only back Nick, because he didn't want Clark and threw him under the bus on national TV.  Jax was really his favorite.  Of course, then after the show, Borchetta betrayed her.

I think Dalton is way more marketable as a Pop artist than Nick.  Dalton is actually at a good age to win.  Kelly, Fantasia won when they were 20.  Phillip 21, Carrie 22.  At 30, Nick is to old to launch as a Pop act.  Most of those guys broke out in their early 20's.

I don't know where Dalton ranks with Borchetta.  If Radioactive wasn't a good song choice, where was his mentor, Borchetta?  Too busy pimping his favorites?

I believe Scott does like Dalton and listed him as a front runner. But I agree why he didn't tell Dalton to change his song choice this week. There's a bit of a conspiracy theory that perhaps they Olivia'd Dalton bc someone told me Fast Car by Tracy Chapman would have fit into last week's Grammy theme and he tweeted the lyrics, making everyone think that's what he was singing, I wonder if producers told him to change it, like they did with Olivia, and told him to do something upbeat. So maybe if that was his second or third choice, it was probably too late to really change it.

It's also possible that it was Borchetta who chose "Radioactive." Who knows? 

If indeed the song was more or less pushed on him, then this was a good time for that to happen--it's clear that he got the message to go back to rearranging songs instead of just finding songs already in his genre, or at least to go with his gut.  I hope!

• Love 1

I really wish these people would STOP listening to the friggin' PTB. Listen to your gut! I think Fast Car by Dalton would have been amazing and I'm so ready to hear him do something acoustic. I've been listening to his acoustic performances a ton lately and he sounds fantastic. One of his original songs, Hope Morrison....I'm pretty much in love with right now.

I'm with you all, want him to win because not only does he want it BAD, but he is the only one that has the whole package. On the other hand, don't want him to win (perhaps runner-up or 3rd) because I don't trust Scott B at all to do right by him.

Personally, I think Sonika is their winner. She needs to work on stage presence, but her voice is perfect for their "Moment Like This" crap they make them sing. LOL I'm a huge Justin Guarini fan and it really peeved me off when they wrote MLT because I felt like they purposefully wrote that for Kelly only. Justin's voice is completely different from Kelly, he is a crooner type and that song was horrible for him. It just wasn't fair to me. They also threw him under the bus (speaking of!) back then, watching the finale of Season 1, especially Randy Jackson was a HUGE jerk to Justin. Two very different vocalists and they acted like Justin was a POS. Still hurts me to this day, for him.

Anyway, back to Dalton....can't wait to hear what he's got in store for this week and I pray he listens to his gut over those idiots.

If indeed the song was more or less pushed on him, then this was a good time for that to happen--it's clear that he got the message to go back to rearranging songs instead of just finding songs already in his genre, or at least to go with his gut.  I hope!

I agree. I'm glad if this had to happen it happened early and not close to the finale, where he'd have really screwed his chances. I think after what happened to himself but also Olivia he knows to never listen to TPTB ever again and to go back to doing what he does best. STAY IN YO LANE DALTON

I really wish these people would STOP listening to the friggin' PTB. Listen to your gut! I think Fast Car by Dalton would have been amazing and I'm so ready to hear him do something acoustic. I've been listening to his acoustic performances a ton lately and he sounds fantastic. One of his original songs, Hope Morrison....I'm pretty much in love with right now.

I'm with you all, want him to win because not only does he want it BAD, but he is the only one that has the whole package. On the other hand, don't want him to win (perhaps runner-up or 3rd) because I don't trust Scott B at all to do right by him.

Personally, I think Sonika is their winner. She needs to work on stage presence, but her voice is perfect for their "Moment Like This" crap they make them sing. LOL I'm a huge Justin Guarini fan and it really peeved me off when they wrote MLT because I felt like they purposefully wrote that for Kelly only. Justin's voice is completely different from Kelly, he is a crooner type and that song was horrible for him. It just wasn't fair to me. They also threw him under the bus (speaking of!) back then, watching the finale of Season 1, especially Randy Jackson was a HUGE jerk to Justin. Two very different vocalists and they acted like Justin was a POS. Still hurts me to this day, for him.

Anyway, back to Dalton....can't wait to hear what he's got in store for this week and I pray he listens to his gut over those idiots.

I agree about the contestants listening to their gut but I can understand why they listen to TPTB. They probably get scared and paranoid and think either they better listen or else they might throw them under the bus/manipulate something to get them eliminated (like changing the key of the song or not clearing certain songs, giving them the Haley/Clark bussing treatment, etc.) or because they figure they know what they are talking about/what gets votes so they listen. I imagine when you're sucked into that Idol bubble it's very easy to lose your sense of self and not fall victim to that every once in awhile, if not completely.

I seem to remember people saying Justin and Tamyra were the chosen ones that year and that Kelly had to fight to be noticed.

• Love 1

I seem to remember people saying Justin and Tamyra were the chosen ones that year and that Kelly had to fight to be noticed.

That is true, Justin and Tamyra were the frontrunners at first, but once Kelly did "Stuff Like That There", she, IMO, won the show. It showed versatility...she could sing ANYthing. I like Kelly, but unfortunately, Randy and Simon decided to put her on a pedestal and throw Justin under the bus from then on. She definitely wasn't TCO from the get-go....Simon couldn't seem to remember her at first.

I just get very nervous because I really believe that it's easy for the judges (and voters) to turn on the frontrunners, especially if they do something out of left field or take a huge chance. Since the beginning, Simon (and many of the judges) talked out of both sides of his mouth regarding quite a few people. It's frustrating. Stay in your lane, but show versatility. Sit at the piano and play quietly, but show us how much energy you have. I mean...seriously. LOL

Most of us in Dalton's thread are big fans of his. We've listened to his music outside of Idol, so obviously, we like him regardless of what he sings on AI, but most people watching the show are only seeing what he is singing weekly. Just want good representation for him and I think him singing something acoustic soon will help people hear how amazingly he can interpret a song.

• Love 1

I'm afraid that maybe Borchetta is controlling the arrangements too, and that's why Dalton didn't look happy.   Maybe it wasn't so much the song choice as that.  Especially since it was the first week he was mentoring.   

I know last year some contestants felt they had to do what Borchetta suggested if they wanted to do well in the competition, especially since he was in charge of the label.  Which I think is a problem having the record exec as a mentor every week. 

That is true, Justin and Tamyra were the frontrunners at first, but once Kelly did "Stuff Like That There", she, IMO, won the show. It showed versatility...she could sing ANYthing. I like Kelly, but unfortunately, Randy and Simon decided to put her on a pedestal and throw Justin under the bus from then on. She definitely wasn't TCO from the get-go....Simon couldn't seem to remember her at first.

I just get very nervous because I really believe that it's easy for the judges (and voters) to turn on the frontrunners, especially if they do something out of left field or take a huge chance. Since the beginning, Simon (and many of the judges) talked out of both sides of his mouth regarding quite a few people. It's frustrating. Stay in your lane, but show versatility. Sit at the piano and play quietly, but show us how much energy you have. I mean...seriously. LOL

Most of us in Dalton's thread are big fans of his. We've listened to his music outside of Idol, so obviously, we like him regardless of what he sings on AI, but most people watching the show are only seeing what he is singing weekly. Just want good representation for him and I think him singing something acoustic soon will help people hear how amazingly he can interpret a song.

I know, I'm scared that if he starts advancing too far (aka being a threat to Tristan) that they'll start throwing him under the bus. :( And yeah the constant contradictions with the judges has always irked me. I think it just comes down to who they like. One contestant can do the same thing every single week and always get praised for "knowing who they are" and "being an artist," yet another that they don't like will get panned for it (especially if they're female). I think Dalton just needs to stay in his lane of reworking unexpected songs and doing what works for him and his style. The Radioactive performance didn't work well for him, it felt like he was fighting against it (maybe partially due to being sick) and the band was drowning him out. It worked against him, whereas his voice shines the best on acoustic stuff. Speaking of which, you guys NEED to check out this demo recording of one of his originals called Mr. Grey if you haven't already: http://hope-per-dalton.tumblr.com/post/120552908377Stellar, absolutely stunning. This boy is such a WRITER. UGH they need to have an original songs theme. I think Dalton could really blow everyone away with any of his songs. He's just that goddamn good. 

From Daltons tweets as of late, it appears he MIGHT be singing "That's Life"...

I thought this too but I'm not sure how well it fits into this week's theme which is "The American Idol Songbook" (aka the most performed songs on Idol). To my knowledge That's Life was only performed once ever, by Lee DeWyze in season 9 on Frank Sinatra Night. 

That tweet might be a hint that he's singing that...or it might be a callout to the next few lines of the lyrics: 

I've been up and down and over and out and I know one thing

Each time I find myself flat on my face

I pick myself up and get back in the race…

• Love 1

I thought this too but I'm not sure how well it fits into this week's theme which is "The American Idol Songbook" (aka the most performed songs on Idol). To my knowledge That's Life was only performed once ever, by Lee DeWyze in season 9 on Frank Sinatra Night. 

I wouldn't put too much faith in the theme title. It actually translates to "Songs that someone sometime sang on the show before that we already have paid up rights to."

• Love 2
(edited)

*high fives Foghorn*

Bogo, thank you for the heads up on that demo. Have not heard it yet!!

Sinatra is awesome, so hooray if true. He has done it acoustically before, so he is familiar. It will be interesting to see if he does it straight or Daltonizes (thanks Keith!) it.

Edited by bluwater
  • Love 2