Type keyword(s) to search

Dalton Rapattoni

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Yes he is singing Eleanor Rigby. I'm a bit nervous he'll get comparisons to David Cook since that was one of his most iconic performances but I'm interested to see what Dalton does with it.

He confirmed in an interview that he went in with a different song choice last week, saying it didn't go anywhere vocally (Fast Car is definitely not a vocally challenging song), a producer suggested Radioactive, D had a different arrangement planned out, but something didn't work out and it was too late to choose anything else so they went with the original arrangement. You can hear him discuss it here

around the 1:20 mark.

Guys... Dalton not only followed me on Twitter last night but he sassed me as well (the tweet about muting people) I had the honor of being sassed personally by Salty Dalty LOL It was amazing. I love him so much.

• Love 2

Avalon's face was super twitchy in that video, especially the last half.  Poor girl.  I wonder if it's just a nerves thing or a tired thing.  

Avalon's face was super twitchy in that video, especially the last half.  Poor girl.  I wonder if it's just a nerves thing or a tired thing.  

I assumed it was a facial tic. Or maybe she is allergic to the makeup she's wearing? I've never noticed if she does it when she doesn't have the makeup on.

Ha! That is awesome, Bogo!

I do not tweet. Could you share what he said?

Ha! (I mean, who can tell with guys?)

Bluwater--I think it's this: https://twitter.com/DaltonRapattoni/status/707433444905717761

Yes what rereader posted is what he wrote. The typo just makes it even funnier. SO. SASSY. I love it.

• Love 1

I have to say I was in the kind of mood where just about nothing was going to please me tonight, and Dalton kind of blew me away. Eleanor Rigby IS a dark song, and way to highlight that. I knew he was going to go for the sadness--Dalton said in a Facebook chat that he was singing it for a friend who died whose greatest fear was dying without being remembered--but I didn't expect it to sound like THAT. I think having something specific like that in mind really added power. (Note: I thought at first he was hitting a bunch of off notes, but then I realized, nope, that was deliberate. I am not a huge fan of changing melodies generally, but I think this worked with the darkness he was going for.)

Listening to it again (and again and again. LOL) right now and have chills. His version came together perfectly and so proud of him for going for that growl at the end too! Plus, I notice that Dalton (being a huge Doctor Who/Brit fan apparently) pronounces words with an English flair, (been/dream)...and I love that.

I think it sounded less like a fake Brit accent than the way vocal coaches teach people to sing vowels--as open as possible.

(In the days of the Great American Songbook, songwriters took special care to position words with open vowels on the big notes so that such accommodations to proper singing technique didn't show so much, but that was when all these professional craftsmen were writing songs for others to sing. No one seems to even think about that sort of thing any more.)

• Love 1

I really loved how he went for the scream at the end and he actually nailed it, despite still being sick (no Danny Gokey Scream On level tragedy there lol). It was definitely better than Radioactive and he seemed much more into it. But I think at this point he needs to show a softer side and go for a ballad. The emo rock stuff is great but he can't get by just on that. It's time for him to be vulnerable and he hinted on a FB chat today he might be doing just that next week, saying his song is "a tearjerker" and "emotional." OMG I HOPE HE'S DOING STOP I WILL DIE IF HE'S DOING STOP But I imagine he isn't, unless the theme is really really broad. But I really hope he is finally doing a ballad or something acoustic. 

The judges' comments about the duet were plain stupid. THEY DID NOT PICK THE SONG NOR PROBABLY ARRANGED IT YOU IDIOTS. Ugh. Dalton looked really sad and scared when they said that. That look he gave Mac when Harry asked what the lyrics meant was hilarious. Thank God they loved Dalton's solo at least. I cracked up when Keith compared him to a waffle iron. Best comment of the night lol. 

Well, one of the songs Dalton is doing tonight has leaked. I cannot seem to post the spoiler bar from my phone though. I also read that everyone but Dalton, Mac and Sonika have the flu. Should be an interesting night!I am excited to see Adam again too!

Edited by bluwater

You can't access the style buttons from the Mobile interface (until the new forums get here), but you can manually type in the spoiler tags like so:

[ spoiler ] ... [ /spoiler ].

(You have to take out the spaces between the brackets and tag name.)  On my Android phone, the square brackets are on the second page of symbols; on the soft keyboard, hit the "123" button at lower left to get the digits, etc., then the "1/2" button next to it to get to the extra symbois.

His second song was also spoiled

Numb by Linkin Park

I'm ridiculously excited for both his performances tonight, he's supposed to be playing guitar and also piano. And one of his outfits.... Ugh it SLAYED me. I'm embarrassing and need help, I know. Lol

• Love 1

Watching the show last night, I thought Numb was ok and loved SOS, but going back and just listening to both, I think Numb was really good! SOS was ok, but he was a bit flat at the beginning. It got better and darker, which I love, as it went along.

I feel like Dalton is being pushed aside for La'P and Trent though. People are turning on him and that hurts, knowing how amazing he is, but I feel like this show is not letting him break free enough. What I wouldn't give to hear Hope Morrison or Trust Nobody. Sigh...

• Love 2

Numb was the better vocal, but SOS was the more emotionally powerful--these are both good things. And his voice was a lot stronger last night than it's been with the sinus infection--not as strong as he's been before the infection, but getting there.

Clearly, he's not TCO, but then I don't know that working with Borchetta is really a "win"!

• Love 1

As I've mentioned on other threads, I actually like(d) Dalton ... but he was just awful last night. I was kind of shellshocked. Flat, without nuance. I don't know if he's sick, tired, or just not very good when he doesn't have all the bells and whistles going on. It's a good thing he's purty.

• Love 4

Personally I think Fox should cast him in their live musicals. He showed with SOS that he's incredibly theatrical and IMO while he's far from being the best singer, he is a great performer and storyteller. I really felt that he connected with that song more than any other and meant every word. He's the best when it comes to connecting to lyrics IMO. I think live theater would suit him so well, especially since lyrics are so important in that type of production.

His story broke my heart, as did the stories of the others. I already knew about his disorder but hearing him tell it and saying even that he wanted to die just got to me. I actually cried over the episode because of the stories, JLo crying, Trent crying... Everybody was just crying man!

• Love 1

I know, it was very emotional! It really hit my heart hearing his mom say he was crying and saying he wanted to die. I pray he's in a much better place now. It's funny, I am SO sick of hearing sob stories on The Voice, but this ep of AI really got me.

Was watching a short concert that Fly Away Hero did at Bravefest back in 2014 and he was PHENOMENAL. There is one recording of it, in particular that sounds great, since the person was sitting further from the stage. Dalton was on FIRE that night, vocally. His energy level should be bottled and sold. I need it. LOL

Have to say, I hope he doesn't win AI (I know how much he WANTS it though, so I'm torn), because I don't like how little control they have over their music. Coming in runner-up or 3rd would be great.

Edited by bluwater
  • Love 3

It makes me frustrated to see people here and on other forums/places on the Internet saying he can't sing. I can see why they think that as basically since the lives I don't think he's been living up to the potential he showed from audition to HW to showcase to Top 24, plus what I know he can do in live performances from before Idol. But it's like because he doesn't have a big, "obvious" voice like Trent or La'Porsha with a big range and doing a bunch of runs, it's like people think he can't sing. Ugh it irks me so much. He has a beautiful voice IMO and uses it well with the style of music he sings. But I've also seen people say they think LP is not a great singer or they're annoyed by Trent, so I guess YMMV. It's amazing how different people's opinions really are.

I'm also torn about him winning. I want him to but at the same time, if we think he's getting beaten down by haters NOW, he's really gonna get it bad if he wins, especially over the vocal prowesses like LP and Trent. Not to mention the whole label thing, I do think Borchetta likes Dalton so maybe he would let him do what he wants, but I would just be concerned about the level of creative freedom he would have. I think Big Machine is a bit better than some of the other labels when it comes to that, like they are letting Nick co-write most of the material on his album and really take his time with it, same as Danielle Bradbery from The Voice. So I would hope they'd let Dalton do that too.

But Scott seems very specific about what kinds of songs he wants, like Nick said he'd present Scott with a lot of songs and Scott would say it was "almost" there, make him go back to the drawing board, then we end up with "Get You Home," which is rather generic sounding if you ask me. Scott really only knows what to do with country acts. I'd be concerned that he wouldn't know what to do with a pop punk artist like Dalton. At this point Mackenzie might be the best choice for a winner because I feel like he's what Idol viewers typically go for (think Kris Allen) and he might be the best fit for Big Machine. I see Dalton more on some kind of small rock or alternative label like Wind Up or even just releasing music independently like he always has. What he really needs to do is get himself a good management team IMO. Set up lots of gigs and interviews. 

• Love 3

I wouldn't say Dalton can't sing, but I have been disappointed with his singing. He was one of my favorites during the early stages of the competition--looks and charisma combined with (what I remember as) a "good enough" voice to make an enjoyable performer. I looked forward to seeing what he'd do with a song and thought he could go far.

I'm not sure what happened, but I think he should have gone home over Tristan, and also over Sonika who is probably leaving next week. It's not that his voice isn't big and powerful. It's not that he doesn't do runs (which I hate anyway.)  It s because to me, he's always sounding flat.  I don't know why--nerves? wrong song? wrong key? the band? he's ill or can't hear well now? Is he worn out by the exhausting process?  I have no idea, but for me he's a very different singer than he was in the beginning.  It's just as well he's not TCO. Hopefully doors will open after AI and he'll get back whatever it is he's lost.

I wouldn't say Dalton can't sing, but I have been disappointed with his singing. He was one of my favorites during the early stages of the competition--looks and charisma combined with (what I remember as) a "good enough" voice to make an enjoyable performer. I looked forward to seeing what he'd do with a song and thought he could go far.

I'm not sure what happened, but I think he should have gone home over Tristan, and also over Sonika who is probably leaving next week. It's not that his voice isn't big and powerful. It's not that he doesn't do runs (which I hate anyway.)  It s because to me, he's always sounding flat.  I don't know why--nerves? wrong song? wrong key? the band? he's ill or can't hear well now? Is he worn out by the exhausting process?  I have no idea, but for me he's a very different singer than he was in the beginning.  It's just as well he's not TCO. Hopefully doors will open after AI and he'll get back whatever it is he's lost.

I agree. I think it's a combo of things: band being too loud plus for the last few weeks he's had the flu and a sinus infection. Think he also just needs to pick better songs.

• Love 1

It makes me frustrated to see people here and on other forums/places on the Internet saying he can't sing. I can see why they think that as basically since the lives I don't think he's been living up to the potential he showed from audition to HW to showcase to Top 24, plus what I know he can do in live performances from before Idol. But it's like because he doesn't have a big, "obvious" voice like Trent or La'Porsha with a big range and doing a bunch of runs, it's like people think he can't sing. Ugh it irks me so much. He has a beautiful voice IMO and uses it well with the style of music he sings. But I've also seen people say they think LP is not a great singer or they're annoyed by Trent, so I guess YMMV. It's amazing how different people's opinions really are.

I think the fact that he's been sick has affected his voice lately and caused some of the flat notes. It's incredibly frustrating to see posts that say he can't sing. That's ludicrous. He has a beautiful, pleasant voice to my ears and I FEEL it when he sings. That's the great thing about AI and The Voice, they have people who sing various styles and have different voices....something for everyone.

With Dalton, I not only get acoustic Dalton, I get rock Dalton and boy band Dalton....and because I love all types of music, I love pretty much every single thing he's put out there. Plus, as a bonus...I found Will Jay (was in IM5 with Dalton), whose voice I love too.

• Love 2

Dalton puts feeling into everything he sings and that IMO is more important than having the best voice. For example, Sonika easily has a better voice than him but she struggles to really connect or emote and her performances usually come off pretty flat because of that. Man if Dalton had a voice like Adam Lambert or somebody though he'd be unstoppable.

This vid is over 30 minutes long of Trent, Avalon and Dalton along with Ameet singing various songs. He doesn't sing a lot throughout, but you can hear Dalton sing off and on. You probably should listen with headphones, especially when they sing Get Lucky (Dalton offers some quick background vocals). The last few of minutes of the video are awesomesauce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPiSjL9HbfA

• Love 1

My favorite part was when he had on the trucker hat and was doing a Texas accent lol And Simple Man at the end was beautiful too. That song holds a really special meaning for him because the dog tags that he wears have lyrics from that song and the tags were given to him by his mom.

• Love 1

Heh. I think they desperately want a La'P and Trent finale though.

My prediction: Sonika out, then Mac, with Salty Dalty coming in 3rd. I am sort of ready for it to be over with now...I want fresh Dalton music!!

That's some serious LaPorsha love.  If I was a better I would bet against her winning.    

Me, too, especially if you look at their social media numbers--which matters because 4 of the 5 methods of voting are internet or text-based. 

I think it's possible La'Porsha could win if she's in the finale. It's worth pointing out that every black contestant that's managed to make it to the finale has won. And La'Porsha is definitely up there in talent level with Fantasia, Jordin, Ruben, and Candice. There's also the fact that it'll be a three-person finale, so the two white guys will probably divide the vote. I can't say she doesn't deserve it more than the others.

Tbh, I think Dalton is the least likely to win at this point (besides Sonika). MacKenzie and Trent definitely have a lead on him to me, partly because they skew older than Dalton and the young vote is pretty small for this show now. I don't put much stock in social media numbers, because several contestants in the past stronger there have not even made the finale.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

La'Porsha actually has been getting a lot of media coverage - not just within the Idol bubble.  It's been to her advantage that she has been riding her own lane (music genre).  I think the fan base for Dalton can be skewed.  The unknown is that how many of his fans from IM days are still engaged and active for Idol.  It's not like the ratings have really changed that much from last season.

Edited by ifoundit

I am no teen, turning 40 in 6 weeks, so Dalton definitely has older fans as well.

No idea who the voting base is anymore. I have read that most AI viewers these days are older, but people keep saying the teenies are voting. I am confused. Anyone know facts about viewership?

Edited by bluwater

If you look at Twitter the majority of people voting for Dalton are like 16-25. But his fanbase reaches across all ages. The tweebs and teens are definitely putting in votes for Dalton, some of them even using multiple accounts/devices to get hundreds of votes in.

Gah! I am at work and do not have Itunes on my phone. I cannot wait to hear it later!! Could you spoiler tag what song it is?

Are they only putting out one song by each person in ITunes? Edited to add: Yes, they chose 1 song to record.

UPDATED: OK, I found the spoilers for tonite. Sooo excited about both, and especially the Sia song, after reading the lyrics. WOW.

Edited by bluwater

I'm waiting to buy Dalton's song until after the show since I think that's when people are going to be more likely to download and therefore it might help it get a higher chart position if everyone buys it at relatively the same time. I've already heard it on YouTube though (someone posted the full song with lyrics). His voice sounds so sweet and dreamy. I love it! I hate the part where the band drowns him out in the middle though. But overall I like his song the best of any of the top 5. I believe his is also charting the highest (it's not anywhere close to the top 200 on iTunes though).

Good point, Bogo. Plus, for some odd reason, iTunes isn't working for me at the moment. I'll go try again after the show is over. I listened to the 30 second snippet and it does sound very dreamy. It will be interesting to hear it live in a bit.

I plan on going to Dalton's homecoming on Saturday in Sunnyvale. I am so excited! Will come here to post my experience. They will be having a parade and he will give a concert in the park near his old high school. I hope to get plenty of pics and video!

• Love 3