Type keyword(s) to search

Dalton Rapattoni

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Souldeep69- If TPTB did know oldies invoke more votes, why wouldn't they have just made it an 'all oldies' format years ago, and produce only oldies covers in the studio from the winner?

Because that would be ratings and sales suicide. It would lose almost all of the younger audience, who for the most part want to hear contemporary and new material. And even the older audience familiar with those oldies doesn't want to constantly hear kids attempting to do justice to songs already immortalized by their original artists. Worse, they don't want to hear kids trying to make those songs sound contemporary, which is usually systematically destroying every one of the original song's hooks thru a process I call "de-melodicizing".

I feel like you're probably right that there is a demographic like maybe my mother that might decide to back a contestant because they loved his Phantom song (or whatever oldie) but that contestant is going to be best served by also gaining other fans through singing some more current music. The granny vote can only get you so far on its own. And I think most viewers want an idol who can slay an oldie AND bring something new and current to the table.

You and I are in total agreement. I think the older audience also wants to hear new material - they don't want to be totally stuck in the past because that's boring. And plenty of younger people enjoy hearing some of the classic oldies — they're classics for good reason. There's a song from 1931 that's already had 18 new cover versions in the 21st century, including one from Chris Brown: "Try A Little Tenderness". A great song is a great song whenever.

As for Dalton, to quote myself:

Dalton has ridden the cute factor also, but he's shown himself to be a genuine and sincere artist more and more each week. He doesn't have a strong voice either, but he's learned how to make the very most of what he does have.

Go Dalton.

So, to Bogo and everyone who's made this point, I'm definitely with you. Edited by Souldeep69

The last time I was genuinely wowed by Dalton was him performing California Dreaming acoustically during Hollywood week. He doesn't have the strongest or most piercing voice, so I'm still surprised why he wants to do rock. He has the moves down but his natural voice is not a rock voice, imo. He has a very sweet and rather earnest voice which would suit him with an acoustic guitar or piano. I haven't seen his other videos but I enjoyed him a lot when he sings on Trent's periscopes.

He needs to do a song in which the band doesn't drown him out during the chorus. Like his God Only Knows.

Yeah, every week that goes by, I hope and pray that Dalton will grab his guitar and do something amazing like THIS. This reminds me a lot of El Paso by Marty Robbins. Not in style, of course...this isn't a country song, but it's that sort of narrative. It is one reason I love Dalton so much and hope he does more of after the show. I also love his rock style too, but this type of thing showcases that gorgeous , melodic tone.

• Love 1

The last time I was genuinely wowed by Dalton was him performing California Dreaming acoustically during Hollywood week. He doesn't have the strongest or most piercing voice, so I'm still surprised why he wants to do rock. He has the moves down but his natural voice is not a rock voice, imo. He has a very sweet and rather earnest voice which would suit him with an acoustic guitar or piano. I haven't seen his other videos but I enjoyed him a lot when he sings on Trent's periscopes.

He needs to do a song in which the band doesn't drown him out during the chorus. Like his God Only Knows.

I agree, his voice is very suited to acoustic stuff, yet he hasn't done it in ages on the show. Bandzilla keeps drowning him out which takes away from his performances. I'd really like him to get to do one of his originals on the show with just his guitar. I think he'd blow everyone away. Unfortunately I don't know if he'll get that opportunity. I wish he had done Calling You with just his guitar like he did at his homecoming concert, that was beautiful. I wonder if he, like a lot of contestants, feels pressure to use the band because it's there? It's freaking Ricky Minor, I think a lot of the contestants feel like it would be an insult to say "Nah thanks" and go solo, so they take advantage of the opportunity and use the band, even if it might not suit the song choice. 

(edited)

Judging by his songwriting, he may well be going in the singer/songwriter direction. I have heard rumors that he has wanted to do some acoustic stuff, but since Mac was their singer/songwriter, Dalton had to be their rocker, and he wasn't allowed those songs. (Remember that weird comment Harry made about how Dalton should stand his ground and do things his way?) *shrug* Hopefully he'll get a deal with a label that will let him do the album he wants to do, and then we'll see. I'm very interested to see which directions he takes in coming years, I'm sure it will never be boring!

ETA: Mind you, a rumor is just a rumor--but I know for a fact that the producers have done this sort of manipulation before, so I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Edited by rereader2

It IS interesting to note that in the early rounds Dalton had his guitar (Phantom, California Dreamin, Hopelessly Devoted) and his "thing" was to rearrange unexpected tunes like Its Gonna Be Me and Rebel Yell. Ever since the lives started I felt something changed and he wasn't quite the same artist as what he showed in the rounds before the lives. I do wonder now if they forced him into the emo rocker box. Once the show is over we just might find out in an interview. MacKenzie was quite candid that he did not really want to sing that Cheap Trick song and that it was like his 5th choice. Who knows what they make these kids do.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if he, like a lot of contestants, feels pressure to use the band because it's there? It's freaking Ricky Minor, I think a lot of the contestants feel like it would be an insult to say "Nah thanks" and go solo, so they take advantage of the opportunity and use the band, even if it might not suit the song choice.

I bet all of the contestants face this issue. If they had go out on their own with a guitar or a piano and bombed, I'm sure they would face I Told You Sos from the producers. They are probably encouraged to use the house band as much as possible. The logic isn't wrong either because when will they ever have the chance to have a band and background singers like that ever again in their lives (for 99% of them). It's just that not everyone's voice is suited for it and I guess Mac already filled that singer songwriter role this season. It's a TV show afterall.

Edited by waving feather
(edited)

Dalton's coronation song, Strike a Match is #141 on iTunes!

UPDATE: #85 now, and Trent is #46. Glad he's selling well.

I just cannot wait for him to put out an album and tour! Bring it on, Dalton!!

Edited by bluwater
  • Love 1
(edited)

I believe I said that I didn't think rock was really Dalton's box, did I not?

Asked if his music will be in the vein of his coronation song, "Strike a Match," Rapattoni said he has a specific sound in mind: "alternative pop." Said the 20-year-old: "It’s funny, they pegged me on the show as a rocker. I don’t really play too much rock music. I really dig stuff like The 1975. It’s probably a tiny bit like that, my future music."

(From this interview on Billboard.)

To which...YES! 

Edited by rereader2

Yeah, they definitely put these folks in a box and do NOT want them out of it. Thank baby Jesus he won't be singing songs like Strike a Match! Ugh! That wasn't Dalton at all. He can write miles better than that crap. Hercules would have been an amazing coronation song. Uplifting and powerful.

Seeing Dalton so giddy makes me happy. I am on pins and needles for his new music!!

That is a great article by Billboard! Dalton has the best attitude about everything and is such a class act. I loved how he was genuinely happy for Trent when his name was called. His approach to all of this is what will take him far in the industry, not what place he finished.

I've always sensed since Rebel Yell that something changed with him as a performer. He didn't seem quite the same as what we saw in the early rounds. It kind of makes sense now.

I keep seeing rumors he was signed by Fueled by Ramen but it doesn't sound like that happened (honestly don't know where those rumors came from to begin with as there is nothing out there that indicates this), it just sounds like he plans to work with Blue October again, same guy who produced the Lost and Found EP. No mention of a label yet. I do hope he'll get signed but not counting on it. Regardless he seems to have plans set in place about doing an album which is great and I honestly didn't expect he would have something this soon.

I like Strike A Match but I do honestly think his own stuff is much better written. Wish he could have released Hercules.

(edited)

I keep seeing rumors he was signed by Fueled by Ramen but it doesn't sound like that happened (honestly don't know where those rumors came from to begin with as there is nothing out there that indicates this), it just sounds like he plans to work with Blue October again, same guy who produced the Lost and Found EP. No mention of a label yet. I do hope he'll get signed but not counting on it. Regardless he seems to have plans set in place about doing an album which is great and I honestly didn't expect he would have something this soon.

Apparently someone went to Fueled by Ramen's Wikipedia page and added Dalton to their list of artists--wishful thinking, perhaps? Fueled by Ramen tweeted 

@DRapattoniPH @DaltonRapattoni No, this is not true. Someone updated our Wikipedia page with false information.

And Dalton responded

..@FueledByRamen @DRapattoniPH yeah guys, sorry, it was me. (Just kidding just kidding just kidding)

So, no.  

(Also, he does not seem to be very upset at all. :) )

He may not be able to sign with a label immediately--I know that part of the deal of going on AI used to be that 19E had an option on the top however many it was--definitely the Top 4 and it might have been more, and they couldn't sign with another label until they were released--there was an expiration date on the option of a number of months, but I can't remember exactly how long. I don't know for sure if it's the same now (only with Borchetta's outfit), but I have to think it's likely.

Edited by rereader2

It was confirmed on Twitter that the rumour is false about Fueled by Ramen. Don't know who put that on their wiki page, but Dalton joked on Twitter that it was him. Hehe.

Blue October and Dalton work well together. So glad he is sticking with these guys. Lost and Found is a flawless EP.

• Love 2

Apparently someone went to Fueled by Ramen's Wikipedia page and added Dalton to their list of artists--wishful thinking, perhaps? Fueled by Ramen tweeted

And Dalton responded

So, no.  

(Also, he does not seem to be very upset at all. :) )

He may not be able to sign with a label immediately--I know that part of the deal of going on AI used to be that 19E had an option on the top however many it was--definitely the Top 4 and it might have been more, and they couldn't sign with another label until they were released--there was an expiration date on the option of a number of months, but I can't remember exactly how long. I don't know for sure if it's the same now (only with Borchetta's outfit), but I have to think it's likely.

I read somewhere the release day is 90 days after the end of the show but I could be wrong of course. It used to be after the tour was over but there's no tour this year so hopefully Freedom Day comes soon! Avalon is hopping on tour with someone so maybe the contestants have a bit of freedom already with what they can do in the meantime.

Glad the rumor has been cleared up. I knew that sounded way too good to be true at all. I think Dalton will be fine, with or without a label. He just needs some endorsement deals with Maybelline, Monster, and Doc Marten and he'll be good to go. ;)

It was confirmed on Twitter that the rumour is false about Fueled by Ramen. Don't know who put that on their wiki page, but Dalton joked on Twitter that it was him. Hehe.

Blue October and Dalton work well together. So glad he is sticking with these guys. Lost and Found is a flawless EP.

Yes! Lost and Found is a fantastic record and I'm very excited Dalton is working with the same people again on his next project. I have very high hopes about it. :)

Was thinking about AI yesterday, and a thought popped into my head.....too bad Glee isn't on anymore. Dalton would've been perfect for that show. He would've arrived with a fan base and built a new one around Glee. He would've been adorable!! Oh well........

Dalton will be on Good Day Dallas (channel 4 for DFW locals) sometime between 7 and 9 this morning.

Also, he will be on 103.7 KVIL from 4-5pm today with Leigh Ann and Courtney. You can listen online at KVIL.com.

Then, he will be at the School of Rock in Plano from 6-8pm for a meet and greet.

Also, this Sunday, he will be the headliner at Trees in Dallas from 3-4pm for the School of Rock Rockstravaganza.

Whew! Lots of Mr. Rapattoni this weekend! I wish I could go to these events. Hoping he does a concert after his album comes out in a few months. Lawd, PLEASE let someone put all these events online today!!

Good Day Dallas already online!

http://www.fox4news.com/good-day/123121266-story

Edited by bluwater
  • Love 1

I think this dude was the fan fav (imo) The voting didnt' allow people to mass vote and some folks just don't vote (me)  I was kind of shocked that he went out at 3. He would have been popular on the tour as well, imo but they all got screwed on that. *sigh*

• Love 1

Sure thing, rereader2!

I feel like Dalton will have the most robust career. I have no idea if Trent or LaP write songs, but Dalton does and so does Mac. Plus, Dalton has had so much exposure to the biz already with IM5 and Fly Away Hero. I watched some Ustream vids he did back in 2014 with FAH and he oozes personality and charisma. They were taking fan calls for over an hour and he was so great at it, even when it was squeely teens just wanting to say hi and I love you. LOL

People are bringing up theatre and I think that is another possibility as he is a pro at making faces and being silly. Channeling that into acting would be cool. Although, me being selfish, I want music, music, music. Another fave of mine, Justin Guarini has done lots of theater (I saw him in Moonshine: That Hee Haw Musical in Dallas and he was phenomenal!), but is recording a new album now in Sweden. As much as he is great at theater, I am happy he is getting back to music.

I am hoping Dalton does not go with 19, but chooses some other company to rep him.

• Love 1

I suspect both 19E and Borchetta have options on at least the top ten--they used to option all the Idols--and if so, and they decide to pick up those options, Dalton's best choice is to make the best of it and work off the contracts as quickly as he can without compromising on quality. Going by what we've heard from other Idols, I hope he instead gets GOOD management and a deal with a label that understands him.

Dalton's three part interview with Michael Slezak is up, and despite the way Slezak talked about Dalton in Reality Check, it's a good interview, and Dalton presents himself articulately and intelligently.

Slezak. Oy. I was NOT happy with things he said and wrote about Dalton, but it was a terrific interview. I love to hear what the contestants REALLY feel and go through backstage, instead of a sanitized version usually presented. I mean, I know there are some screwy goings-on (hence the Knoll here!) with the show, but it's nice to hear it from the singers. Salty Dalty - He really lives up to that name by telling us about his argument for Seven Nation Army vs. God Only Knows. Hee! Hey, we got both (SNA from his Homecoming), so I'm good.

The KVIL interview wasn't that great. He had three short segments and most of the time they discussed how young he was and he put eyeliner on one of the co-hosts and another guy. LOL He did mention recording with Blue October guys and that he wants to get an album out before the end of the year and a few singles out by the end of summer (I think that was his timeframe).

I love the Rapattoni/Castro pics!

Well, Kiva did not get the concert videotaped, but there are plenty on YouTube. I hope someone posts a setlist, but I think he did about 7-8 songs. Rebel Yell, Eleanor Rugby, Sound of Silence, Seven Nation Army, Brain Stew, She and Suffragette City are the ones I have seen.

Edited by bluwater
  • Love 1