Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: May Old Acquaintance Be Forgot

A 20-year-old cover-up of a murder comes back to haunt Pritchard when the informant he tried to protect is now a powerful drug dealer. Meanwhile, Mary has survived her current health scare but she and Otto disagree on what to do about Pritchard; and Gracie is attracted to an older guy.

Promo:

Does anyone even watch this show anymore?

Does anyone even watch this show anymore?

This is one of my favorite shows. Believe it! When it comes on, I'm all, "Oh, yeay!" Other shows I watch just because nothing else is on and the room is too dark to read a book. Plus Rob is some fine eye candy, right Bruins?

• Love 2

This is true. I mean, the show is about a guy solving crimes and the twins' Not! Facebook business ventures while ignoring the fact that they managed to bring somebody back from the dead and make him functionally immortal. Not just resuscitate, he was a lump of cold formerly-human meat when they got their hands on him. That has huge implications regarding the nature of life, identity, and the human soul. And if it got out that someone had developed that technology it would literally reshape human civilization as massive resources get devoted to making the process applicable to everyone (or at least everyone rich enough to afford the treatment), potentially making death a thing of the past.

• Love 1

This is true. I mean, the show is about a guy solving crimes and the twins' Not! Facebook business ventures while ignoring the fact that they managed to bring somebody back from the dead and make him functionally immortal. Not just resuscitate, he was a lump of cold formerly-human meat when they got their hands on him. That has huge implications regarding the nature of life, identity, and the human soul. And if it got out that someone had developed that technology it would literally reshape human civilization as massive resources get devoted to making the process applicable to everyone (or at least everyone rich enough to afford the treatment), potentially making death a thing of the past.

It was supposed to be a futuristic spin on the Frankenstein story, but it barely even feels like it.

OK.  If I were a younger gent, and Dilshad came to me with crying eyes as she did at the end of this ep, I could refuse her nothing.

The two things which bugged (pun intended) me the most in this one were 1)  After Otto yanked the transmission of Lenny's "uncle" and a further schism was created with his sister, Mary didn;t then take the time, immediately, to go with him and have a bigtime heart-to-heart about everything.  She would know just how dangerous and resentful and petulant her brother could become, or had become.   Instead, she chose to just lounge around.  Yeah.  She had no LookinGlass biz to handle, either.

2)  Solly would have been extra, extra careful to pat down Duval.  She was fully satisfied he had no wires without strippimnghim?!  She missed a freaking guin?!!!!   It was also ridiculous that her hitmen were able to get so close to the scene without being detected by the wizbang LG doo-hicky.  

The one thing I really do want to see now is what Otto tries to pull.  He happens to be right about most everything, too.   

This show is really fun and sometimes proves it can go further... I'm really sticking with it but hope for a little bit less of procedurals (less one episode investigations more long term narrative !)

• Love 2

This show is sort of entertaining, but it's shallow.

They bring a guy back from the dead, dead, dead.  He's not only alive again, but young and strong and genetically the Best That He Can Be. And they're concentrating their marketing efforts on glitzy tech shit for people's tablets?  So, not interested in the commercial possibilities of immortality?

What is Otto's problem with Mary's attraction to Jimmy?  Does he want her all for himself?  He didn't seem too distressed when she was bonking Wossname of the Merger.  And as far as I can tell, Mary and Jimmy aren't even doing the deed!  Or did I miss something?

Wee Gracie, a young teenager, is all "You can't make me!"  Well, I suppose it's a perfect example of the aphorism "Spare the rod, make a rod for your own back."

And agent Peter Burke continues to be an insufferable rasshole.  Where does he keep all that self-righteous superiority when he's not using it?  Oh, right.  He's always using it!  Is he a single-note actor?  I can't remember him playing any other part.

• Love 1

What is Otto's problem with Mary's attraction to Jimmy?  Does he want her all for himself?  He didn't seem too distressed when she was bonking Wossname of the Merger.  And as far as I can tell, Mary and Jimmy aren't even doing the deed!  Or did I miss something?

You would think he would be more grateful to the one person keeping his sister alive.

• Love 1
(edited)

Netfoot, get out of my head. You said everything I wanted to, especially about that jerkface Agent Burke, who can't even stop being a petulant child while interviewing suspects in a major drug cartel. Hokey smokes. Someone fire that guy, or at least put him on unpaid leave.

I had to laugh at James' day-glo white shoes, which he wore again this week, even after a poster here pointed out they are traditional "old man" shoes. 

I still like this show. I just wish Burke would get gone. I like the daughter/sister though. She could take over as James' relative.

And now that Mary is cured, the literally born-again James is going to be chucked out of the house ... to run rampant around the neighborhood? Oh, my ...

Now, what about James' many scars? Wouldn't Sully have recognized those? Especially if she were such a long-term sidepiece, as the show suggested. I somehow can't imagine the 70-year-old Jimmy sleeping with the youthful Sully. My mind doesn't want to go to there!

Or: Are those autopsy scars? If so, oh, my ...

Edited by saber5055
(edited)

And now that Mary is cured, the literally born-again James is going to be chucked out of the house ... to run rampant around the neighborhood?

Not for long.  Without a tank to nap in once a day or so, he'll be dead again in no time at all!

I somehow can't imagine the 70-year-old Jimmy sleeping with the youthful Sully. My mind doesn't want to go to there!

Well I ain't 70, but as I get older.....   :-)

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Ratings cancer not cured.  .5 in the demo, 2.2 million total viewers.

Happily, the entire Fox line-up is a wreck.  They are pretty much going to be forced to pick up some real Nielsen losers.  LIke James, the show ain't dead until it is most sincerely dead.

2) Solly would have been extra, extra careful to pat down Duval. She was fully satisfied he had no wires without strippimnghim?! She missed a freaking guin?!!!! It was also ridiculous that her hitmen were able to get so close to the scene without being detected by the wizbang LG doo-hicky.

Gun *and* handcuffs. Worst.Drug.Kingpin.Ever.

• Love 1

What is Otto's problem with Mary's attraction to Jimmy?  Does he want her all for himself?  He didn't seem too distressed when she was bonking Wossname of the Merger.  And as far as I can tell, Mary and Jimmy aren't even doing the deed!  Or did I miss something?

It's probably the intimacy that's bothering him. Only he (Otto) and Mary have ever been that close. Jimmy is a threat to that. 

I'm confused about the timeline. Jimmy "died" at most a year ago, right? He was still about 70. And he looked about 70 when he sexed up Solly. Duval said something about how that case took Jimmy away from his family. Then he said he was 25. I must have misheard something because Duval is clearly mid-40s.

The other thing I found odd was when James was strip searched and looking around. He's about to look down at his feet and Mary exclaims "the contact lenses in your eye let us see everything you see!" Which I took to mean, "we don't want to see your junk". And yet Mary has stared at a naked goop floating James presumably every day.

I remember Madchen Amick from "Twin Peaks". She has aged of course but I thought she still looks good.

Otto is a jealous POS.

• Love 2
(edited)
And yet Mary has stared at a naked goop floating James presumably every day.

Since we've never seen a full-body floating goop James, he might be wearing a pair of tidy whities in the tank. It was Duvall who said "Don't look in the mirror." This while I was rooting for James to do just that. *shallow*

I'm confused about the timeline. Jimmy "died" at most a year ago, right? He was still about 70. And he looked about 70 when he sexed up Solly. Duval said something about how that case took Jimmy away from his family. Then he said he was 25. I must have misheard something because Duval is clearly mid-40s.

Yes. Thinking about that timeline made my head hurt, so I gave up on it and just pretended everything fit.

Have we ever been told what happened to Mrs. Sheriff Jimmy?

Edited by saber5055

Wee Gracie, a young teenager, is all "You can't make me!"  Well, I suppose it's a perfect example of the aphorism "Spare the rod, make a rod for your own back."

The second worst thing you can do with a rebellious teen is use violence against them.

The worst thing you can do, as Duval did, was to make the boy forbidden fruit.  Better to make him "part of the family".  He'd be gone in 20 seconds, and Gracie would be glad.

Happily, the entire Fox line-up is a wreck.  They are pretty much going to be forced to pick up some real Nielsen losers. 

Sorry, but I'm hoping for Sleepy Hollow over this.

I'm confused about the timeline. Jimmy "died" at most a year ago, right? He was still about 70. And he looked about 70 when he sexed up Solly.

No, she said no one had called her "Solly" for a very long time.  I don't recall them meeting in the present.

• Love 1

The second worst thing you can do with a rebellious teen is use violence against them.

Of course.  Because it's way too late by then.  It's much better to use violence against them when they're little, when they break house/family rules.  (But where I come from we don't call it using violence, we call it administering a spanking.)

I picture myself at 20, sitting on the floor of someone's house, canoodling with their young, teen daughter.  Someone who I'd not met before and who wasn't aware of my existence.  Someone who never invited me into their house.  Someone who comes in, and is surprised to see me there, with more hair around my mouth than around a goats asshole, and two big ear-rings like a Gypsy.  And instead of jumping to my feet and introducing myself, I remain seated on the floor, with a dismissive attitude? What I'd expect wouldn't be a spanking.

• Love 1

When Jimmy is telling Duval the story about Ray Carson and Solly, he says it happened in 1990. So Duval was 25 in 1990 when he had to move back home because his mother was so despondent over Jimmy's affair and Jimmy would have been 44-45.

• Love 1

When Jimmy is telling Duval the story about Ray Carson and Solly, he says it happened in 1990. So Duval was 25 in 1990 when he had to move back home because his mother was so despondent over Jimmy's affair and Jimmy would have been 44-45.

No, she said no one had called her "Solly" for a very long time.  I don't recall them meeting in the present.

Hmm, I guess I missed him saying it was 1990.  But some things about the timeline are still off... he definitely met her in the present, or at least the near present.  70 year old Jimmy is sitting in a car at her dealership.  She comes over and says it's been 2 years.  I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be 2 years since the affair or 2 years since she last saw him.  If it was 1992ish, then 50 year old Jimmy looked really old for his age.  So I assumed he was meeting her in the near present.  And I'm assuming the scenes of the naked Solly rolling around on the bed wearing his sheriff's hat were the affair, which is 1990.  And she looks the exact same age in those flashbacks as she does when Rob Kazinsky James meets her.  She has different hair of course, but the face is the exact same.

Since we've never seen a full-body floating goop James, he might be wearing a pair of tidy whities in the tank. It was Duvall who said "Don't look in the mirror." This while I was rooting for James to do just that. *shallow*

I'm pretty sure there are people here who could post screenshots, haha.  We've seen the full body shot a few times, the crotch is always CGI shadowed of course but it's pretty evident he is naked, and I recall Duval staring at him too in the goop when Mary confirmed that James is his father.

I missed the end. did Duvall go "Full Sheriff" on Gracie's boyfriend?

No, we never saw the boyfriend again.  We saw Duval telling Gracie that she can't see him again, and she got up, said that he couldn't tell her what to do, and slammed the door.

Now, what about James' many scars? Wouldn't Sully have recognized those? Especially if she were such a long-term sidepiece, as the show suggested. I somehow can't imagine the 70-year-old Jimmy sleeping with the youthful Sully. My mind doesn't want to go to there!

They made a point in an earlier episode that all of Jimmy's old scars (and apparently any new injuries he picks up) are healed by time in the tank. All that's left are scars from the actual tank procedure itself: that big-ass Y-incision in his chest and whatever tubes they have him connected to.

• Love 1

Otto might want Jimmy out but I think Mary won't let him go as 1. he saved her life. 2. she loves him???

the third twin/merger guy what is his name and the assistant of Mary, they still have to deal with them..

Solly would have been extra, extra careful to pat down Duval. She was fully satisfied he had no wires without stripping him?! She missed a freaking gun?

Maybe she just thought he was glad to see her?

• Love 1

Speaking of "the assistant of Mary,"  didn't they imply an episode or two back, that she had been through the tank and been youngified?  How come she doesn't need continued tank-time like Jimmy?  And why is there no follow-up on TAOM's aging partner's need to be youngified as well?

Otto might want Jimmy out but I think Mary won't let him go as 1. he saved her life. 2. she loves him???

the third twin/merger guy what is his name and the assistant of Mary, they still have to deal with them..

He did save her life and he's far more useful to them especially when they have people after them.

Hmm, I guess I missed him saying it was 1990.  But some things about the timeline are still off... he definitely met her in the present, or at least the near present.  70 year old Jimmy is sitting in a car at her dealership.  She comes over and says it's been 2 years.  I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be 2 years since the affair or 2 years since she last saw him.  If it was 1992ish, then 50 year old Jimmy looked really old for his age.  So I assumed he was meeting her in the near present.  And I'm assuming the scenes of the naked Solly rolling around on the bed wearing his sheriff's hat were the affair, which is 1990.  And she looks the exact same age in those flashbacks as she does when Rob Kazinsky James meets her.  She has different hair of course, but the face is the exact same.

That flashback was circa 2010. He told Duval, "For 20 years, I believed her" and when Duval asked what happened, he tells him the story about Cory, the accountant guy with the gambling problem. After hearing from Cory that Solly was the one behind the heroin, he went to go confront her. She said "Has it been two years already?" because he used to buy cars from her every two years with his poker winnings ("I had a good night at poker, Solly. Thought I'd pick up my new car early.") So basically, they had an affair for 5 months in 1990 when he was 45 and she was 20-something and that affair presumably ended when she killed Ray. He covered up the murder, erroneously believing it was self-defense, and watched as she built herself up as a pillar of the community. For an undetermined amount of time, he bought cars from her every two years with his poker winnings, until he found out she was still running drugs in 2010. He would have been in his 60's and Solly in her 40's.

• Love 1