Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: 9 Seasons and 3 Really Bad Movies

Saw for the first time the episode where Adam wins an award & he & Mary travel via stagecoach somewhere to accept it.  In the stagecoach, they meet the future Ms Plum.  A wheel breaks and the stagecoach rolls down the hill. Mary is the only one not hurt so blindly finds her way to the road. Along the way, her glasses fall from her pocket and they start a, fire, alerting Pa as to where they were.

1.  Mary & Adam's trip was funded by Laura and Albert selling a bee hive to Mrs Oleson & Nellie, who came to pick it up. Albert told them that the bees napped during the day & the buzzing was their snoring or something. While driving, Mrs Oleson, Nellie & their  horses were attacked by hundreds of bees, while Albert & Laura stood there laughing. All I could think of was one of them dying from the number of bee stings.

2. Why did Mary have her glasses. I saw when they were getting on the stagecoach, Ma made sure to give them to Mary, but why?

3 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

2. Why did Mary have her glasses. I saw when they were getting on the stagecoach, Ma made sure to give them to Mary, but why?

I remember this. Adam or Mary was going to give a talk and he was going to tell some story about Mary when she first got her glasses. So he was bringing the glasses to use as a prop. This somehow metaphorically tied into the glasses being the thing that saved them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I remember this. Adam or Mary was going to give a talk and he was going to tell some story about Mary when she first got her glasses. So he was bringing the glasses to use as a prop. This somehow metaphorically tied into the glasses being the thing that saved them.

Thank you Sistermagpie! It makes no sense at all, but that's LHOTP!  Good thing she shoved them in her pocket rather then Adam putting in his. 

I was also amazed at how she was able to maneuver her way out of that overturned stagecoach with out stepping on the future Miss Plum or falling on top of Adam when she jumped to the ground.

Mary always sounded so angry, no matter what the setting or what she was saying...when she was calling for the driver, if he had not died, I would not blame him for ignoring her.  

On 9/13/2018 at 4:34 PM, penguinnj said:

Just googled and found this article from last July:
Crocs, bum bags and prairie dresses: how anti-fashion went mainstream

shower-shoes-prairie-dress-clunky-sneake

*shrug* I mean these past couple of years I've seen hipster guys trying to pull off 19th century bushy mustaches and beards and clothes like suspenders, top hats, frock coats, vests, and pocket watches!

Edited by VCRTracking

Last I checked (though it’s been a little while) all of the adult men (with the exception of the young men such as Adam and Almanzo) were gone, but all of the adult women (Minus Harriet now) were still with us. I just checked on Hersha Parody (Mrs Garvey) and she’s still alive.

Sorry to hear that we lost Mrs Oleson. I’ve been watching through the episodes again, and have been thinking about her, since I knew that she must be getting on in years, having been middle aged at the time the show started.

• Love 1

Katherine McGreggor did an amazing job with Harriet Oleson.  She was a first class Prairie Bitch, but fiercely loved her kids...and in her own way, Nels. I was watching the episode the other day with the little person whose wife died in child birth & she refused to hire him at the mercantile & stopped him from getting a job at the bank. I was furious with her. I then thought that it takes a very talented artist to evoke these type of emotions on a TV character.

RIP, Mrs. Oleson?  

• Love 4
On 11/14/2018 at 7:54 PM, alegtostandon said:

Katherine McGreggor did an amazing job with Harriet Oleson.  She was a first class Prairie Bitch, but fiercely loved her kids...and in her own way, Nels. I was watching the episode the other day with the little person whose wife died in child birth & she refused to hire him at the mercantile & stopped him from getting a job at the bank. I was furious with her. I then thought that it takes a very talented artist to evoke these type of emotions on a TV character.

RIP, Mrs. Oleson?  

Yeah, but let's not forget by the episode's end, she does a big mea culpa and apologizes. Yes, of course she was completely in the wrong for her earlier behavior and NEEDED to apologize but I have to admit it was fun watching her try to sabotage things yet Mrs. Oleson getting her just desserts. 

Speaking of Miss MacGregor, she'd been a theater performer for many decades before the show (and it reflected in her yelling to the back balcony delivery) and had a small cameo in On the Waterfront among other things. Oh, and she loved fans giving her their support to the extent that she actually had her personal phone number listed in the LA directory and often talked to hithero strangers who called her up about Mrs. Oleson for hours. Lastly, she had been briefly married but preferred spending most of her free time teaching acting and on spiritual quests (she was a Hindu most of her adult life) . What I'm trying to say is that it's too bad she didn't write her bio because it sounds as though she had an interesting life. 

• Love 4
On 11/14/2018 at 3:14 PM, wanton87 said:

Last I checked (though it’s been a little while) all of the adult men (with the exception of the young men such as Adam and Almanzo) were gone, but all of the adult women (Minus Harriet now) were still with us. I just checked on Hersha Parody (Mrs Garvey) and she’s still alive.

Sorry to hear that we lost Mrs Oleson. I’ve been watching through the episodes again, and have been thinking about her, since I knew that she must be getting on in years, having been middle aged at the time the show started.

I think you are right.  I just looked up Charlotte Stewart (Miss Beadle), Lucy Lee Flippin (Eliza Jane), Bonnie Bartlete (Grace Snider), and Ketty Lester (Hester-Sue).  They are all still around.  But I think all of the men are gone. 

• Love 1
On 11/29/2018 at 10:12 PM, maggiemae said:

I don't understand how Mr Edwards went from a nice house to a shack. Can anyone fill me in?

The only time I remember him living in a nice house was when he & Grace were married.  The episode where Charles and Laura visited after a tree fell on Mr Edwards, they lived in a nice house,  it was a completely different place when Fake Grace kicked him out for his drinking.  Otherwise, he always lived in shacks. 

On 11/16/2018 at 11:37 AM, Blergh said:

Oh, and she loved fans giving her their support to the extent that she actually had her personal phone number listed in the LA directory and often talked to hithero strangers who called her up about Mrs. Oleson for hours.

That is fucking awesome.   Especially given what some of those opinions of Mrs. Oleson must have been.   

Mrs. Oleson is mentioned just once in the books, and is very nice.   From that Ms. McGregor had to build a whole freaking character.   Absolutely amazing lady.

She was very protective of her family and their place in society.    My favorite line of hers "Nels, make her a widow."

• Love 5

This is off topic but I had to post this. 80s All Over is a movie discussion podcast that reviews every movie that was released theatrically in the 1980s, month by month. The recent episode focused on August 1984 and among the films that came out that month was Sam's Son Michael Landon's semi-autobiography he wrote and directed. For anyone who hasn't seen it's on YouTube and you could tell five minutes in ML directed it. It has all the trademark over-the-top melodrama and cheesiness of his Little House episodes. It's looks and feels like such a TV movie that I can't believe this was on the big screen. What's really funny is the two hosts after watching it realizing what Little House fans have known for years, that the Michael Landon was INSANE!  They talk Sam's Son at the 25 minute mark at this link.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I saw the episode recently where The Ingalls were heading home from Sleepy Eye or wherever & encountered some Indian Hunter, who warned Pa of an upcoming storm, which Pa dismissed.  They, of course,  ran right into a storm, which they were completely unprepared for.

Pa braved the elements to hunt for food for his family. As they showed him in the windy, freezing snow storm,  the wind fan blew snow right into his mouth, which Pa spit out, in full snowflake pieces!

I was raised in Chicago and lived through many, heavy snow storms.  I do not remember ever having snow blow into my mouth that did not melt the second it hit my tongue. 

I'm sure ML left that in to show how dangerous the storm was...instead, it looked like a wind fan blowing fake plastic snow into his mouth

Edited by alegtostandon