Type keyword(s) to search

2016 Tryouts and Training Camp Spoilers and Spoiled Speculations

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

(edited)
9 minutes ago, MaryWebGirl said:

Maybe Judy goes more by skill, but there's a reason they group the finalists by hair color and skin tone during the field performances in finals. Their casting is far from colorblind.

Agree that Kelli (initially) goes for looks. But as I said before - and if you're only looking at the light/dark equation - the DCC has had more AA DCCs in the past, and Kelli was the Director then too; has been for more than 25 years. So either the AA girls auditioning now aren't as skilled as the gals in the past, or there just aren't as many AA dancers auditioning. Could be that with the explosion in music and music videos since the 1990's, many girls are choosing to audition and get dance jobs in other venues, and I wouldn't blame them. DCC is only one, narrow avenue of dancing. The music industry path is much broader and certainly pays better.

6 minutes ago, NicoleS9954 said:

Paula Tabares appears to be going on the Bachelor also judging by posts on her SM!

Really? Wow.

Edited by Kaedee
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Kaedee said:

Agree that Kelli (initially) goes for looks. But as I said before - and if you're only looking at the light/dark equation - the DCC has had more AA DCCs in the past, and Kelli was the Director then too; has been for more than 25 years. So either the AA girls auditioning now aren't as skilled as the gals in the past, or there just aren't as many AA dancers auditioning. Could be that with the explosion in music and music videos since the 1990's, many girls are choosing to audition and get dance jobs in other venues, and I wouldn't blame them. DCC is only one, narrow avenue of dancing. The music industry path is much broader and certainly pays better.

This is an excellent point. I agree that if you're a beautiful, talented dancer you have lots of options and the DCC really needs to be a passion for you to want to do it.

• Love 6

I don't think they are intentionally biased at all.  Some of Kelly and Judy's favorites have been Mia, Jacie, Jenna, Jackie.  We can even go back to Nicole Hamilton and Ally Traylor.  I think Jacie would have been the point in the triangle on the field had she stayed for one more year.  

• Love 4

Agree about Kat. On her last insta post, the other girls genuinely seem so upset ? I know most of us saw it coming, myself included, but I'm still so upset for her!! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I understand why Auto Amy has rubbed people wrong on this forum. I completely get it. 

Still, I really want her to make this team. Her crying at S10 finals to me looked like determination, instead of desperation. This girl is not the best dancer in the room But she is very pretty, articulate, has a great body and is a better dancer than last year and the year before that and the year before that. That is some perseverance.

It was smart of Amy to ask Jennifer to help her with her solo. It makes me like both girls even more. I also would LOVE to see Amy's final routine posted. What scares me is last year when Kelli said she doesn't like short little legs. Kick to the sky, Amy!!! 

Edited by TiaGrace
Spelling
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, TiaGrace said:

I understand why Auto Amy has rubbed people on this forum. I completely get it. 

Still, I really want her to make this team. Her crying at S10 finals to me looked like determination, instead of desperation. This girl is not the best dancer in the room But she is very pretty, articulate, has a great body and is a better dancer than last year and the year before that and the year before that. That is some perseverance.

It was smart of Amy to ask Jennifer to help her with her solo. It makes me like both girls even more. I also would LOVE to see Amy's final routine posted. What scares me is last year when Kelli said she doesn't like short little legs. Kick to the sky, Amy!!! 

I think Jen is a teacher. Amy probably paid her lol. I'd still love to see it though!! 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, TiaGrace said:

I understand why Auto Amy has rubbed people wrong on this forum. I completely get it. 

I'm on the fence with regards to Amy. When I first saw her in S9, she uttered that totally clueless, "I'm sure I want this more than anybody." That always rubs me the wrong way. I loved it when Rachel Buckmaster said when she was cut, "I worked really hard for this; but then, so has everyone else."

Also, everything seems so melodramatic with Amy. Her whole entire life needs to be put on hold because of this dream, her weepiness ... it just all seems so over the top. I'm not rooting against her. But don't know that I'll root for her either.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Beana8 said:

I could totally see her..  Well I can see many of these girls end up on the Bachelor franchise.  The DCC type and the Bachelor type are very similar.  Just look at Melissa Rycroft and the Twins.

hahhaha that would be so great if Kat went on the Bachelor...she LOVES that show and at one point last season had a comment on her FB about wanting to go on it and her friends were like, girl, NO. LOL

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Kaedee said:

I'm on the fence with regards to Amy. When I first saw her in S9, she uttered that totally clueless, "I'm sure I want this more than anybody." That always rubs me the wrong way. I loved it when Rachel Buckmaster said when she was cut, "I worked really hard for this; but then, so has everyone else."

Also, everything seems so melodramatic with Amy. Her whole entire life needs to be put on hold because of this dream, her weepiness ... it just all seems so over the top. I'm not rooting against her. But don't know that I'll root for her either.

This sums up how I feel about her in a nutshell. On top of the fact that her kicks aren't DCC worthy and I haven't been impressed by any dance videos I've seen of her. I just hope that she's not crying all the time because I just can't handle that.

• Love 6

Speaking of Amy, she is close friends with DCC Stephanie, as are Kelli Quinn and Kelsey.  Maybe it's not how it works, but dang, if I were those girls I would be begging Stephanie to teach me the first dance they'll learn at camp (isn't it always the same one they learn the first night? maybe not...) I can't imagine how helpful that would be to have some confidence going in like, I already know the basic moves, so I can spend tonight perfecting performance.  I wonder if Cersten has had Erica help her at all? 

• Love 4

No offense against Stephanie, but if I wanted help with the dance routines and kicks, I would go to Jenna, Jennifer, Erica, Melissa or Lacey for help. To me, Stephanie is a blender and is a okay DCC.

Agreed LaurenBrook.  I'd have any ddc friends help me learn Thunderstruck or the entrance.  I always wondered why they wait so long to learn the field entrance too.  It really kills some girls in the end.  

• Love 1

Maybe the girls aren't allowed to teach DCC dances before training camp actually starts.

12 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

No offense against Stephanie, but if I wanted help with the dance routines and kicks, I would go to Jenna, Jennifer, Erica, Melissa or Lacey for help. To me, Stephanie is a blender and is a okay DCC.

Haha oh I agree, I just meant if they didn't feel comfortable yet going to some of the super star DCC.  Stephanie may blend but she is still a great dancer and every clip I've seen she does well with the DCC choreography and style.  At least they'd feel more at ease going to her than maybe Erica or Jennifer.  Who knows though! The dance world there is small in the sense I swear they are all besties lol 

5 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Maybe the girls aren't allowed to teach DCC dances before training camp actually starts.

Maybe...that would be so weird though! I'd think K&J would love to see the girls having that kind of initiative? Maybe they are afraid someone would learn it totally wrong lol 

3 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

Maybe...that would be so weird though! I'd think K&J would love to see the girls having that kind of initiative? Maybe they are afraid someone would learn it totally wrong lol 

I'm thinking maybe they're afraid of telling the secrets haha I mean you could probably learn from watching some videos of the dances, but I have a feeling they're not allowed to officially teach unless they're at training camp.

9 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I think you may be right. I mean part of tc is seeing how quickly girls can pick up a new routine

• Love 1

To me, it almost seems unfair to bring Amy into TC with her kicks the way they are. I thought it was rather unfair to bring Taylor in last year too. Both these girls have/had serious issues with their kicks, and we know DCC isn't going to take them when their kicks don't match the rest of the squad.  We know low kicks are a deal-breaker despite being a powerhouse like Taylor.

I know Mackenzie was able to get her kicks somewhat higher with serious stretching, bar method and reflexology. But those sessions cost a lot of money, and her kicks still weren't really in line with the rest of the squad.  Taylor had everything but the kicks, and she was devastated about getting cut. I guess most would say it was worth it to get even a chance at TC.  

• Love 1
On 5/22/2016 at 1:27 PM, Dopeydwarf said:

Oh girl. This solo was a joke.

9 hours ago, JC123 said:

I can't see Kat making Mavs. She's not powerful enough for DCC, let alone DMD! Maybe something like ice Angels. 

No way they'd want her prancing around showing how high she can extend her leg. She has no power or projection IMO.

12 minutes ago, Kaedee said:

To me, it almost seems unfair to bring Amy into TC with her kicks the way they are. I thought it was rather unfair to bring Taylor in last year too. Both these girls have/had serious issues with their kicks, and we know DCC isn't going to take them when their kicks don't match the rest of the squad.  We know low kicks are a deal-breaker despite being a powerhouse like Taylor.

I know Mackenzie was able to get her kicks somewhat higher with serious stretching, bar method and reflexology. But those sessions cost a lot of money, and her kicks still weren't really in line with the rest of the squad.  Taylor had everything but the kicks, and she was devastated about getting cut. I guess most would say it was worth it to get even a chance at TC.  

I really hope she's been stretching like CRAZY for those kicks; she'll definitely be towards the end of the line so they'd have to be pretty darn good. Also, I think Mackenzie..if she were anyone else..wouldn't have made it. It was so clear everyone loved her, and I do think she was a favorite. The fact that they were passable was okay for her. Anyone else..nope.

• Love 4
On 5/22/2016 at 1:10 PM, Kaedee said:

Man, the S9 Rookie squad has taken a beating.

10 made the squad; Courtney retired and Ashley P and Breelan were cut after 1 season. That left 7. Then Mary, Loren and Veronica retire after 2 years and Caila gets cut! Man, the world was not kind to the Rookies of 2014.

Who's name is missing from this 10, or am I mis-counting? 

1 minute ago, DCCFAN71 said:

Who's name is missing from this 10, or am I mis-counting? 

No one. She meant 'Victoria.'

Erica, Lacey and Melissa are the only three that are left.

The other seven (Courtney, Ashley P, Breelan, Mary, Loren, Victoria, and Caila) are gone.

• Love 2

Diversity vs skill - my 2cents are:

1) I don't think they have a particular set quota on how many blondes, brunettes, redheads, white girls, Asians, Latinas, short girls, tall girls, curly haired, etc., but they definitely factor in appearance in groups, etc. They group girls by blondes, etc during camp to see if they like anyone in particular or 'need' any of a certain look. They always create a redhead or two. Etc

2) I most definitely think some questionable girls are chosen bc of their 'look' - like redheaded breelan and Morgan - who looked like she could be Latina, Native American, etc. Same for girls like Kat who had a 'special skill' so Kelli could say they had a former Olympian on the team. 

3) now that they're going toward far more technical and classically trained dancers, they're going to have more upper middle class girls and girls who are from cultures that gear toward ballet vs gymnastics or cheerleading. This meaning they have more white girls lately auditioning, and fewer black girls or Asian girls - who from my experience in dance usually go more toward cheer or gymnastics than ballet. I hope Misty Copeland's influence changes some of that, but at least in my area, that's how it is. No idea how to factor in Latinas, because we have far fewer Latinas in PA than Texas. Also the shorter girls of all races and hair color are being 'weeded out', IMO, because taller girls shift toward dance, where long legs are appreciated, vs gymnastics, where being shorter is better. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kaedee said:

Really? Wow.

I thought Paula Tabares was engaged!!! I know I saw a post about it last year...

Does anyone know how I can access the early seasons? I'm in the UK, the only seasons I can access are 7 onwards on YouTube and iTunes. Anyone got any ideas? I'm sure I saw someone on this thread talking about accessing them? 

And whoaaaaaaaa Shelbis boyfriend is on a rampage on charlottes insta pic! Kat Dunn absolutely shut him down though, well played Fun Dunn, well played! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LaurenBrook said:

Speaking of Amy, she is close friends with DCC Stephanie, as are Kelli Quinn and Kelsey.  Maybe it's not how it works, but dang, if I were those girls I would be begging Stephanie to teach me the first dance they'll learn at camp (isn't it always the same one they learn the first night? maybe not...) I can't imagine how helpful that would be to have some confidence going in like, I already know the basic moves, so I can spend tonight perfecting performance.  I wonder if Cersten has had Erica help her at all? 

Where/what team is Cersten from. She is a very pretty girl!!

50 minutes ago, Shan18 said:

I think you may be right. I mean part of tc is seeing how quickly girls can pick up a new routine

If they are good enough dancers to deserve being DCC they should be able to pick up the choreography when it is taught.   I know 12 year olds that can pick up new dances at conventions in like 10 minutes and perform them as though they've known them for years - they wouldn't even stress about trying to learn the choreo ahead of time even if they could cause they are so confident in their ability to pick up quickly that they wouldn't waste their time.  That's how they girls should be if they want to be pro dancers.

Dancers who can't pick up choreo quickly are also usually always the ones that seem to mess up when under pressure.   I see it time and time again on dance teams when they let that occasional "take home girl" on the team.  Someone forgets and does the wrong choreo at a competition?  It's that girl that can't pick up/remember choreography - even when she always does it right in practice.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, JC123 said:

Does anyone know how I can access the early seasons? I'm in the UK, the only seasons I can access are 7 onwards on YouTube and iTunes. Anyone got any ideas? I'm sure I saw someone on this thread talking about accessing them? 

And whoaaaaaaaa Shelbis boyfriend is on a rampage on charlottes insta pic! Kat Dunn absolutely shut him down though, well played Fun Dunn, well played! 

If that really is Shelbi's BF doing that, she needs to get a hold of him ASAP.  I mean for real, that would blacklist her from DCC though I'd hope at this point she'd give up on that dream.  

(edited)
3 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

If that really is Shelbi's BF doing that, she needs to get a hold of him ASAP.  I mean for real, that would blacklist her from DCC though I'd hope at this point she'd give up on that dream.  

It is. Look through both their Instagram accounts they're constantly tagging each other. I tagged her in it earlier but my comments disappeared. I wonder if she's actually aware of what he's doing. 

I hope he realises that his little mouthing off session might make him feel better - at the expense of his girlfriends dignity!

Edited by JC123
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Diversity vs skill - my 2cents are:

1) I don't think they have a particular set quota on how many blondes, brunettes, redheads, white girls, Asians, Latinas, short girls, tall girls, curly haired, etc., but they definitely factor in appearance in groups, etc. They group girls by blondes, etc during camp to see if they like anyone in particular or 'need' any of a certain look. They always create a redhead or two. Etc

2) I most definitely think some questionable girls are chosen bc of their 'look' - like redheaded breelan and Morgan - who looked like she could be Latina, Native American, etc. Same for girls like Kat who had a 'special skill' so Kelli could say they had a former Olympian on the team. 

3) now that they're going toward far more technical and classically trained dancers, they're going to have more upper middle class girls and girls who are from cultures that gear toward ballet vs gymnastics or cheerleading. This meaning they have more white girls lately auditioning, and fewer black girls or Asian girls - who from my experience in dance usually go more toward cheer or gymnastics than ballet. I hope Misty Copeland's influence changes some of that, but at least in my area, that's how it is. No idea how to factor in Latinas, because we have far fewer Latinas in PA than Texas. Also the shorter girls of all races and hair color are being 'weeded out', IMO, because taller girls shift toward dance, where long legs are appreciated, vs gymnastics, where being shorter is better. 

There are a lot of short girls in competition dance too cause that "system" tends to favor kids who look younger than they are up until about age 12/13.   So that means all these tiny petite prepubescent girls who look like they are 5 (when they are really 10) doing sassy facials w/ impressive tricks and turns usually are very successful and stick with it.   And then usually by the point when all the novelty for looking younger than they are wears off its too late for them to do anything else so they stick w/ dance.   

Prepro ballet does favor taller girls though.   

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, JC123 said:

It is. Look through both their Instagram accounts they're constantly tagging each other. I tagged her in it earlier but my comments disappeared. I wonder if she's actually aware of what he's doing. 

I hope he realises that his little mouthing off session might make him feel better - at the expense of his girlfriends dignity!

Oh geez...and just realized that one of the others slamming the DCC near the top of the comments on that pic is a company that constantly tags his 'shop'.  So that may even be him or one of their friends too. GEEZ.  I think DCC dodged a bullet for sure not letting her into camp again!! At least Charlotte finally deleted his rude comments.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Shan18 said:

(The shelbi boyfriend stuff)

charlotte's second picture on instagram.

I looked back at my vote list and I had 15 girls picked. My bottom 5 are 3 that didn't make it. Jacy Rae and Emma are 2 I liked that didn't make it. I really like Jamie. Her personality through social media(I know it's not life but still) seems sweet.

i have some to root for in training camp. Kelsey, Madeline, Kelli, and I like Tess.

Tasha will be interesting. 

Ill miss Kat and Caila. 

• Love 3

I liked most of the girls that made it in, Allie and Heather Hamilton are two of my faves. Mia wrote on Heather's instagram that she can't wait to watch her this summer so I assume Mia's going to be helping in training camp.

10 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Damn all his comments are deleted already. What an idiot! Does he realize he just screwed any chance of Shelbi ever making it in the future. And if she plans on trying again her only chance is to break up with him now and claim it was a crazy ex boyfriend moment haha

• Love 3
(edited)

I had a feeling it was going to be good when she posted her practice pics a couple weeks back: 

I hope she will post some clips!!

ETA: I also see on another one of Kelsey's pics that Jojo Fletcher (the new bachelorette, season starting tonight) commented on it, like as a legit person she KNOWS.  Everything is bigger in TX except the friend circles apparently!! LOL 

Edited by LaurenBrook
  • Love 3

I want Simone to post some clips too, she said the judges all loved her solo which was Hawaiian with a hip hop flare. 

1 hour ago, JC123 said:

That was me talking about watching earlier seasons and I'd be happy to let you know via PM.

• Love 1
On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 11:53 PM, sleepyjean said:

I'm fairly certain Shelbi's aware of her boyfriends latest drama on Charlotte's Instagram.  They post on each others acc'ts non-stop all day long.

I've seen some rather passive-aggressive remarks made by her own Mother regarding other TC

49 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

last season.  Apparently her Mom believes local Texas dancers should get priority over others traveling to Dallas. 

She must be particularly po'd at this year's crop of "out of state/country 'ers" taking a slot destined for her daughter.  Hey, I'm kind of excited to watch my home state being represented by 2 women.   Utah; Madeline  & Tasha.  

1 hour ago, DCCFAN71 said:

Where/what team is Cersten from. She is a very pretty girl!!

She just graduated from LSU where she was a Tigerette. They are a top competitive team.

• Love 1

Shelbi definitely knows about it(if not actually behind the screen with him) I wrote a comment on charlottes pic to her boyfriend and now I'm now im blocked from shelbis Instagram. Lol. The dcc drama! ?

• Love 3
(edited)
33 minutes ago, JC123 said:

just found this on Twitter.. This is probably as close as well get to solo clips lol! 

Wow - cool find!

Jenn K. didn't look so hot in her clip - she looked thick and her dancing labored.  Not sure about her for point anymore. 

Hunter looked good - although her transition into her trick wasn't the best, it's still a cool trick and you could see that the crowd reacted w/ a "wow" when she did it.  So curious why she didn't make TC.

Jenna and Jinelle looked really good.

How old is that Kelli girl? - she looks older to me.

Vet Megan's turning skills are great, but that costume was ugly.  Looks like she trying to cover her midsection w/ it or something.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 2