Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Intervention

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Choi disagree over the final decision made by a patient suffering from a life-threatening heart condition. The pending lawsuit against Dr. Halstead continues to move forward, and Sarah Reese and Dr. Zanetti scramble to save a patient with a misdiagnosed flesh-eating bacterial disease. Elsewhere, Dr. Manning treats a young girl diagnosed with a contagious bacteria, prompting her and Dr. Halstead to take action to avoid a major outbreak.

For once Halstead won't be the most obnoxious thing in one of his storylines.

And yet! Halstead rises to the occasion! His relentlessly abrasive and narcissistic self-righteousness somehow overpowers the offensive stupidity of the anti-vaccination parents who put their children and community at risk.

Please, S. Epatha, fire him already, spare yourself future headaches and get him off our screens. No doctor, especially not a resident, would be kept on after openly flouting a DNR — Risk Management and the insurance carrier wouldn't allow it, even if the supervising medical staff were somehow willing to overlook it (not to mention he then violated the confidentiality protocols of a clinical trial! which could get the hospital disqualified from continuing or conducting any future trials — not that a drug company rep could get access to participant records — but still).

Also — does anyone see even the slightest hint of a spark between him and Dr. Manning? I thought their kiss was just — icky.

• Love 10

I kind of laughed that they actually did a parallel with Dr. McDouche's actions, and of course it was with Rhodes/Choi! Sure, the circumstances were different, but essentially both patients had asked their doctors to let them die. Choi and Rhodes' patient just asked them to do it more directly. Rhodes asked his mentor Hotshot what to do, he told him to take it out, and he did. Simple, and effective. It proved to be a powerful moment with Rhodes and Choi, at least, with Choi having to accept that they have to abide by their patient's wishes, even if they disagree with their choice. 

And then Dr. McDouche, who is still STUNNED that he keeps getting yelled at by Goodwin. Sitting in that chair, accepting that he got yelled at, and still doesn't get it. At least he pointed out that he's still hoping that they'll drop the lawsuit once she gets better, because there's a new reason to call him an idiot. 

And yet....I 100% fear that the patient WILL thank him for saving her life and drop the lawsuit. These two things are not what I want. I truly think it will happen, because it's the only way to resolve the storyline and make McDouche come out looking good. 

Less Dr. Charles, which was sad. Reese was really good in this episode, and she can handle patients better. I think she'll change her mind about Pathology, mostly because of show reasons. 

Manning...girl, you are letting yourself like a guy who puts himself first above his patients. He has a God complex, and that is not a good thing. 

• Love 5

I'm Glad Rhodes took the device out of that guy. It was his choice. Leaving it in would have been playing God with his life.

I wanted to slap those smug anti-vaxxers. It was the teacher's fault since her immune system wasn't strong enough? Please STFU! BTW, what was the disease the unvaccinated kid had? "E" something?

• Love 3

I'll miss Dr. Lulu, though I wish she could have been written more consistently.

I'll miss her, too.  She could have been written as a more fullly-developed character than just as support for Rhodes.   Oh well, the actress does have a regular gig on another show. 

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 2

Maybe it's my hormones getting the best of me but every episode I want to bitch slap Dr. Arrogant ass Halstead.

You are not alone, he needs a swift kick to his groin.

But then, I also wanted to kick the anti-vac parents, too. I spent my childhood in the pre-vac days.  The only vac I had was the small pox one. I still have the scar from it.  I am pro-vac because I remember how sick I got when I had measles, how itchy I got from chicken pox and how my jaw ached from mumps. I also remember at least two of my grammar school classmatee getting polio and being stuck in wheel chairs.

• Love 12

I thought Halstead actually made some small progress towards actually behaving like an adult human being in this episode, at least partly because he was able to use his words with Manning. I was glad that somebody told off the stupid, arrogant, self-deluding anti-vaxxers, but at the same time it felt like the writers needed to find someone even more appalling than Red Halstead, quick!, and picked an easy target.

If the writers truly are going to stick with "He's abrasive because he feels too much" as the through-line for Red Halstead, they need to let him grow up right quick. Apologizing to Goodwin was a good start. (Don't make S. Epatha Awesomepants your enemy, Red. That doesn't end well for you.)

Zanettie was barely there for me, so I won't really miss her.  Too bad she didn't really have much of a storyline to begin with.  What was the point?

I was with Halstead on every word he said to the anti-vaccination parents.  They deserved everything they got; unfortunately, they aren't the ones who will get the whooping cough, measles, and mumps their unvaccinated children might have to suffer through.  Those parents ARE vaccinated, so they can sit down and shut up while their kid goes through umpteen hospital treatments the rest of their lives.

Me too on board agreeing with Halstead this week.  Manning was wrong (she's sweet but not too bright and why didn't she put a cloth between her mouth and the teacher's when doing mouth-to-mouth?) when she said that after that speech the parents will never let their kids be vaccinated. The only way they will agree is if they are shamed enough by the idea that they are relying on other people vaccinating their kids (herd immunity) so they have the option of not.  For a couple of engineers, they seem to have done zero research on immunization.

Also, I really like how they're not letting ignoring the DNR just go away (as they did on Code Black).

Bye, Dr. Lulu. I'm going to miss you.  Zanetti was realistic (jealous of Rhodes and then saying that her cheap shot "wasn't fair") and so was their ending.  Nice to not have to live through a ton of dramatics.

My favourite story was the LVAD man and Downie.   It's also good timing because in Canada, the recommendations for Physician Assisted Death just came down today.    I liked that Rhodes and Choi both said no to taking the LVAD; Downie, looking at his mortality staring him in the face, said it's the patient's decision, and Rhodes did as the patient asked, and Rhodes and Choi letting him die with dignity but not alone.  I liked the way it was handled because there was a time during my own chemotherapy when I thought I'd rather die than live with these side effects.

I liked the parallels of the old doctor (Unger) and the new one (April's brother) screwing up and looking at Unger is what makes April decide to file an incident report on her brother.

• Love 2

I had a rough encounter with an anti-vax parent last week.  Believe me, I had zero problems with what Halstead said to them, given that I had a really hard time biting something similar back.

I would have felt more about the plotline with April's brother, except that we've seen him twice and we already know he's a lousy student.  I think it would (again) be more dramatically interesting to see that he really loves medicine but keeps screwing up.  But no, he's chatting up nurses about making a still.  Dude, just leave school and go make small-batch artisanal microbrews or some nonsense.  And April is a better person than me, because I'd have slugged him over that "doctor/nurse" comment.

• Love 8

Dude, just leave school and go make small-batch artisanal microbrews or some nonsense.  And April is a better person than me, because I'd have slugged him over that "doctor/nurse" comment.

Yeah, yikes! I found myself wondering if he was too old for his big sister to spank.

There is no way those kids could be enrolled in Chicago schools without being vaccinated. Medical records are required and if shots aren't up to date then they can't come to school.

• Love 2

Biggest unpopular opinion ever but I still really like Halsted especially when it comes to his crush on Manning. The incident is still under investigation but I thought he showed progress in apologising to S Epatha and not acting like a tool to Manning.

i continue to not care about Rhodes or his super special partnership with whatshisface. I do think Lulu is a jealous tool though and I'm glad she's gone.

i liked the parallel between Reese and Aprils doctor issues. My heart kind of broke for the older doctor though he was a bad practitioner. Aprils brother would be a good long term character I think. He could be a good sidekick for Reese.