Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Undiscovered Country

Wozniak grapples with his guilt over attempting to kill Saperstein as he is faced with the need to finish the job. Harlee desperately tries to protect Saperstein as she struggles to keep the unit from being torn apart by suspicion and grief.  Stahl gets closer to uncovering Harlee's relationship with Miguel.

My god Stahl and the FBI are hilariously incompetent. They had one guy guarding Saperstein? No one watching Woz. Stahl would have a better chance on getting info on Woz if he just blew Woz. Woz is ridiculously indiscrete with his hook ups.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4

There it is! Woz has murdered one of his own, and the man wasn't even guilty of being the rat. To say that Harlee has Sap's blood on her hands is an understatement. I'm very curious about what will become of all this. It seems plausible, at this point, that the road is being paved for Harlee to kill Woz in self-defense. But that would mean season two with no Woz whom I definitely consider to be a main character. It will be interesting to see how this moves forward this season and beyond.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 2

Help! I lost the power near the end of the episode and didn't see how the episode ended.  Can someone please tell me about the final couple minutes?  I saw when the nurse picked up the little shopping bag and looked in it to see the explosives.  What happened after that?  I was sitting in the dark screaming at the TV.  

LakeGal, after that, Harlee was sitting with Stahl in his car just outside the hospital when they saw the bomb squad moving everyone outside the hospital (as Woz had intended). She figured out he was using that opportunity to get past Sap's guard* and ran inside, hoping to get to the ICU in time. But by the time she got there, Woz had gotten in ahead of her, and Saperstein was flatlining -- dead.

(*Does the protocol for emptying a hospital in this situation really involve leaving patients behind?)

• Love 2

They weren't (I would bet unhesitatingly) real explosives. But just the sight of such a bag is a sure way to empty a building; these days staff are trained on procedure for any such case.

On another topic, I have to say that I think that montage early in the episode, between the arrival of the ambulance at the construction site and its departure for the hospital, was really beautifully done. It captured exactly that woozy, spaced-out, desperate-but-helpless feeling of being present at a disastrous event, unable to do anything about it yet required to stay, just wanting time to pass and everything somehow tp get better (but knowing it probably won't). A wrenching few seconds.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2
They weren't (I would bet unhesitatingly) real explosives.

Except Woz took them from a stash he had in a storage unit. I'm guessing real. He took the precaution of carrying the bag with a hanky, even though I wouldn't think prints would be on those string handles. But, DNA I guess. I didn't notice if he was wearing gloves when he put the explosive in the gift bag.

I want to know what that was Woz injected into Sap's IV to kill him. Why are deadly drugs sitting around an ICU room, plus how does/did Woz know what that drug was and how much would kill Sap? All he had to do was inject air. Or maybe that WAS air he injected? Geez, I don't know.

How did that FBI paperwork get under the carpet in Sap's room? Did he hide it there last week and I just missed it?

Can't say I liked this episode very much, although Ray Liotta can REALLY put on a black and dark expression. He scared me right through my tv screen. And I thought JLo's acting was spot on. I did like Miguel's smart talk to Stahl, too. Conjugal visit indeed. Take THAT, Stahl!

RIP Sap, my favorite character on this show. Wish I could write that in Portuguese.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Except Woz took them from a stash he had in a storage unit. I'm guessing real. ...

I want to know what that was Woz injected into Sap's IV to kill him. Why are deadly drugs sitting around an ICU room, plus how does/did Woz know what that drug was and how much would kill Sap? All he had to do was inject air. Or maybe that WAS air he injected? Geez, I don't know.

On consideration, you're probably right about the explosives. 

I think they meant us to see that air is what Woz injected. He heard an earlier comment from a doctor that they had to monitor Sap carefully because a clot or an air bubble could kill him.

• Love 4

How did that FBI paperwork get under the carpet in Sap's room? Did he hide it there last week and I just missed it?

I would guess that the FBI put it there (to clear Harlee from Woz suspicions ?) since Sap only got in contact with them the day before his death.

Edited by eliza
  • Love 2

I think the explosives were real, but I don't think they were rigged to explode. But still, their presence would definitely be enough to empty out a hospital.

Damn, Saperstein, I liked him (though I know the actor wasn't in the main cast so the likelihood of him sticking around was small). Woz is pure evil but Harlee's hands aren't clean of this either. I loved the scene between the two of them in the chapel. For a good bit there I was convinced that Woz was gonna let him live and explain himself. But I guess once Tufo found the immunity papers there was no chance.

The actor who plays Tufo was great again this episode too. For the most part he's just kind of been cracking jokes but he can really turn up the grief and terror when he needs to. I feared for the prostitute's life for a good second.

Miguel's a shithead but I loved him ribbing Stahl about his "crush" (it's much more than that) on Harlee.

Am I seeing things, or was freaking Jackie Aprile, Jr. the FBI dude stationed outside Sap's room? He should have taken a second to say hello to his cousin. ;)

• Love 2

Forty-five minutes or so of hemming, hawing, and pleading, and it ends the only way it probably was going to: Woz kills Saperstein.  Poor Sap.

I do wonder how this is going to effect Woz and Harlee themselves, and their relationship.  Woz clearly has gone past the point of no return, even though he at least convinced himself that he had no choice and feels guilty for it.  And while all of it is on him, I'm sure Harlee is going to feel like shit for accidentally causing a lot of this to happen due to her actions.  But Woz promised her (in the chapel no less!) he wouldn't kill him, so I doubt she'll ever trust him again.  Nor should she.  Everyone is in danger when it comes to Woz.

A lot of Tufo in this one and the actor did a good job with more dramatic material.

Miguel might not be a nice guy at all, but I did enjoy watching him get under Stahl's skin.  Then again, I think I just like anyone who mocks Stahl.  Worst FBI agent ever, almost.  But he still isn't quite incompetent like the agents on The Following, so he has that going for him.

Harlee is already beginning to push this James guy away.  Too bad since Christina seems to like him.  Speaking of which, after their scene in the chapel, I'm really starting to think the theories that Woz is her father, might end up being true.

• Love 2

I just mainlined all 7 episodes yesterday, and I must say I'm hooked.

I don't remember disliking so many characters, yet being completely sucked into a show since "Breaking Bad".  Can y'all imagine what Vince Gilligan would do with this show?

I really like James and hope Harlee doesn't push him away completely.  He's one of the few "normal" people (that we know of!) in her life.  Plus I think he's too cute for words.  I would like him to trim down that beard though.  

Ray Liotta is just amazing me with his non-verbal acting. Woz is just so OTT without actually acting OTT.  I love that. 

• Love 5

Speaking of which, after their scene in the chapel, I'm really starting to think the theories that Woz is her father, might end up being true.

I still don't think so. As far as we know, she was already 6 years old when Harlee and Woz first met. I think she's more of a surrogate daughter to replace the one he lost.

• Love 1

Ray Liotta is performing some fine acting.

I think that Woz's luva has plans for making Woz the patsy in this criminal enterprise and debacle.

Jennifer Lopez's 'acting' has smoothed out a bit and she's doin' okay.

Is Harlee going to be accused of deliberately injecting an air bubble into Sap's tube? Attempting to shoot him?

She stupidly raced through hospital corridors with her weapon unholstered. And, Harlee will be 'discovered' there--in an area where she should not be without permission(Sap's room) during a time wherein all others left/evacuated induced by a nurse upon discovering a threat of a bombing based on obviously abandoned real explosives as she, Harlee, brandishes a gun while standing over a recently killed police officer/FBI informant. Whew! Okay, riiiight, yeah, yeah. I can see how ALL of that will not pose problems for Harlee.

Miguel was great in his accurate jabs at creepy obsessed Stahl.

I would assume that Sap, himself, hid his contract with the FBI underneath the carpeting. I doubt that he held suspicion of his room being ransacked. His partner had to tear apart the room before locating it. ( Who is going to clean up that mess and what will Mum think.)

Nuthin to say about the rest of 'em..

EXCEPT, man(!), these officers(police/FBI) are contemptible and detestable thus far.

Edited by BookElitist

I think the explosives were real, but I don't think they were rigged to explode. But still, their presence would definitely be enough to empty out a hospital.

Damn, Saperstein, I liked him (though I know the actor wasn't in the main cast so the likelihood of him sticking around was small). Woz is pure evil but Harlee's hands aren't clean of this either. I loved the scene between the two of them in the chapel. For a good bit there I was convinced that Woz was gonna let him live and explain himself. But I guess once Tufo found the immunity papers there was no chance.

The actor who plays Tufo was great again this episode too. For the most part he's just kind of been cracking jokes but he can really turn up the grief and terror when he needs to. I feared for the prostitute's life for a good second.

Miguel's a shithead but I loved him ribbing Stahl about his "crush" (it's much more than that) on Harlee.

Am I seeing things, or was freaking Jackie Aprile, Jr. the FBI dude stationed outside Sap's room? He should have taken a second to say hello to his cousin. ;)

Yes, that was Jackie Jr. Who are you referring to as his cousin?

I would assume that Sap, himself, hid his contract with the FBI underneath the carpeting. I doubt that he held suspicion of his room being ransacked. His partner had to tear apart the room before locating it. ( Who is going to clean up that mess and what will Mum think.)

I don't think Sap hid it there.  I think the FBI did.  Early in the episode Stahl (or the woman he was talking to) talked about backdating an immunity agreement.  I think they created it to be found so the cops would be convinced Sap was the mole.

I know Santino Fontana's first responsiblity was to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and it allows him to use his talents more...but dammit, I liked Sap and found him sexier here.  Part of me hopes this is some elaborate scheme by the FBI to protect him.  A girl can dream, can't she?

• Love 1
I don't think Sap hid it there.  I think the FBI did.  Early in the episode Stahl (or the woman he was talking to) talked about backdating an immunity agreement.  I think they created it to be found so the cops would be convinced Sap was the mole.

That's the only way I can rationalize it being there, since Sap was not alone while "checking on his mom" long enough to stash paperwork ... or was he? I'd think the FBI/Stahl would have hidden it in plainer sight, though, so maybe Stahl did give Sap the papers (and I don't remember that part) and he ditched them under the closet carpet just to get rid of them when I wasn't looking.

Yes, that was Jackie Jr. Who are you referring to as his cousin?

Jackie, Jr. and Adriana (Drea de Matteo) were first cousins on The Sopranos.

It bums me out that Tufo is complicit in Sap's murder as well. He had to know what Woz was going to do when he showed him the immunity papers. But I think it showed exactly what the crew was about. They're tighter than family until someone even thinks of snitching. Then all bets are off. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) his guilt plays out next week.

• Love 1
It bums me out that Tufo is complicit in Sap's murder as well. He had to know what Woz was going to do when he showed him the immunity papers. But I think it showed exactly what the crew was about. They're tighter than family until someone even thinks of snitching. Then all bets are off. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) his guilt plays out next week.

I don't think Tufo knew what Woz would do.  Harlee was surprised and she already knew that Woz tried to kill her and Sap.  She still trusted him, which was stupid.  I don't think Tufo expected Woz to kill Sap. That isn't what they do.

• Love 1

Jackie, Jr. and Adriana (Drea de Matteo) were first cousins on The Sopranos.

Didn't even think of Drea. Her role is so limited on Shades. Was she even in the last episode?

I don't think Tufo knew what Woz would do.  Harlee was surprised and she already knew that Woz tried to kill her and Sap.  She still trusted him, which was stupid.  I don't think Tufo expected Woz to kill Sap. That isn't what they do.

That's a good point. I guess my question is though...why show the papers to Woz at all, then? What did Tufo think was going to happen? He was in serious denial about Sap being the informant so I wouldn't have been surprised if he had instead hid them or burned them or something. But he didn't, he gave them to Woz. Why?

Sometimes I think Harlee might be the only person who's in denial about their little crew is about. I feel like the rest of them would expect to be taken out back and shot if they flipped. Because if those weren't the stakes, what would stop them from doing it? Sure, they're loyal to each other, but only because that loyalty has borne personal rewards. If their options were "jail" or "no jail" in exchange for the others, what would stop them from picking "no jail" except a bullet in the back of the head? I think killing someone for ratting is something they do. They just never had a need to do it before.

Didn't even think of Drea. Her role is so limited on Shades. Was she even in the last episode?

She was, but not much.

• Love 1

My god Stahl and the FBI are hilariously incompetent. They had one guy guarding Saperstein? No one watching Woz. Stahl would have a better chance on getting info on Woz if he just blew Woz. Woz is ridiculously indiscrete with his hook ups.

At least there was some acknowledgement in this episode that Woz had ceased the very activities that supposedly built this case.  You'd think they would have provided some misdirection early on once it was apparent that Wozniak knew about the informant.  But this is Stahl we're talking about.  Still hoping Chen gets somehow promoted into lead agent. Not really sure what the writers are going for with Stahl. I feel like they're trying to get viewers to sympathize with Woz and his team, but nah.  Not happening.   

I got my Pesi fix, which I appreciated.  He and the daughter were cute in their interactions, though I don't understand why he was there.   

As for the immunity paperwork, there was a scene between Baker and Stahl discussing how to pin Saperstein as the informant by back-dating some paperwork, which is presumably what Tufo conveniently found at the house. I don't think Tufo knew Saperstein would kill him.  Confront him, shame him, fire him, maybe.  But then, I don't find Harlee any more responsible for Saperstein's murder than Tufo.  Culpable for implicating him as the rat? Sure.  But murder? That's all on Wozniak.