Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

I agree Joe needs to be there or forget about it.  I don't want a show all about MIka. The things she asserts are too often fallacious and she sticks with them repeatedly no matter what. Willie is talented, but sort of milquetoast. I hate when Katty Kay is on. Mike Barnacle is the epitome of "holier than thou".  Donny Deutsch is lame and too often acts like a goof in a non-entertaining way.  The regular foreign policy folks are all old cold-warriors with the same view as to the US role in the world. The show needs to switch some of the regulars and find new ones.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Pike Ludwell said:

When Donny disagrees with Mika he apparently feels he has to do so in the meekest way possible and afterwards be apologetic as H and assure her "I love you". 

Donny used to buy Mika Louboutins when he came on the show. He let Morning Joe film a commercial for the show   During the commercial, Mika wakes up in Donny's bed. She looked horrified but Donny was smiling. I suspect that Donny had a crush on Mika but she ended up with Joe. Donny was excited when he dated Marla Maples while Trump was President.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I hate it when Joe is off and Mika flies solo.  It's all about her causes and Women Of Value.  And speaking of which, Joe was off on vacation all last week.  He comes back for 2 days and then takes today off?  WTF?  With the Republican Convention next week, is it too much to ask that he show up every day and do his damn job?! All four hours of it!

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

When Donny disagrees with Mika he apparently feels he has to do so in the meekest way possible and afterwards be apologetic as H and assure her "I love you". 

When you read it in print, it's kinda "ewww."

• Like 2

Joe started the show with a long scripted rant quoting the Bible & President Lincoln.

Joe said an Ipsos poll shows Biden tied with Trump.

Joe said Biden is upset at Obama for supporting Clinton in 2016 & not letting him run for President.

Biden doesn't like Clooney. Mika said she never liked Clooney's movies & he was overrated. Mika said Clooney played a doctor on ER but wasn't qualified to give medical advice.

Lemire said Biden will give a press conference later today.

Joe said Trump is too crazy to be President & will end democracy in the USA.

Katty Kay said the internal polls show the Democrats losing the House.

Barnicle said Biden can still beat Trump.

Clooney spoke to Obama before releasing his op ed in the NY Times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Chris Matthews was a guest. He said Biden deserves to be President.

Matthews is mad at Obama for choosing Clinton over him in 2016.

Matthews believes Biden will have a comeback.

Matthews was excited about his 1972 campaign for the Senate.

Matthews was puzzled about Biden's aides keeping him away from the press for the past 3 years.

Barnicle discussed Matthews working for the legendary Tip Oneill.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Senator c**** supports Matt Damon over George Clooney.

Mika said she did like one of Clooney's movies.

Mika coyly suggested that Obama is behind the plot to bring down Biden.

Mika said Biden had more legislative accomplishments than Obama.

Joe said he was stunned by Biden's debate performance.

• Mind Blown 2

Amy Cook was a guest. She said Nevada, Arizona & Georgia are leaning Republican. Other states are moving towards Trump.

Biden has to win all 3 mid-west states to squeak out an electoral college victory.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Senator c**** supports Matt Damon over George Clooney.

Mika said she did like one of Clooney's movies.

Mika coyly suggested that Obama is behind the plot to bring down Biden.

Mika said Biden had more legislative accomplishments than Obama.

Joe said he was stunned by Biden's debate performance.

Oakville, if I had not just read (on two websites) about Meeka going after George Clooney, I would be thinking you were making a funny. And apparently Joe knew she would be doing this.  Did it sound rehearsed?  Or was he afraid to speak out? 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Oakville, if I had not just read (on two websites) about Meeka going after George Clooney, I would be thinking you were making a funny. And apparently Joe knew she would be doing this.  Did it sound rehearsed?  Or was he afraid to speak out? 

Mika was trying to be serious. Mika & Joe are going after anyone who does not support Biden. Luckily, no one on the panel mentioned that Clooney said Biden was behaving the same at his fundraiser as he was at the debate. The debate occurred after the fundraiser, so Biden's behaviour is off more than once.

Mika was excited when Clooney & Roberts co-hosted the fundraiser for Biden . She had no concerns about his acting ability at the time.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, millennium said:

I don't understand, who is Senator c***

Chris Coones (minus the e) from Delaware.  This site has auto censors that hide words that can be used as slurs.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

No show today.   This sucks.   I like having the option of turning it off myself rather than the network doing it for me.   Instead we get another MSNBC Not-So-Special-Report about you-know-what.

• Applause 5
1 minute ago, oakville said:

The network was worried about Joe, Mika or one of the panellists making an inappropriate remark about the assassination attempt.

https://x.com/ByronYork/status/1812813381599895615/photo/1

Thanks for that.   I wouldn't have considered searching for that information.   But what a cop-out.   "Inappropriate" probably means anything that doesn't sound like "kumbaya."

Some days I really wish I could say more.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
14 minutes ago, oakville said:

The network was worried about Joe, Mika or one of the panellists making an inappropriate remark about the assassination attempt.

I have to wonder if there is something else. I mean, no familiar faces here today.  By the way, who are these people who are hosting? Granted, I only turned it on around 8:30 so maybe I missed the "official" explanation.  What is odd to me is that I have never seen these anchors before on the network. Then again, I don't watch all that much anymore.

Perhaps The Twins had a scheduled vacation and the network didn't want to actually say that. Especially in lieu of the importance of this story. 

• Like 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, oakville said:

I read that earlier today and really MSNBC?

That's so absurd. Cowardly. There's no breaking news. Mr Trump was golfing yesterday and there was not even a bandage on his face per press accounts 

28 minutes ago, oakville said:

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

That explanation from Byron York just seems fishy. The idea that the producers had this concern about them saying something inappropriate sounds like right wing thinking. And, also, Joe and Mika would be quite offended.

And the shooting happened Saturday and there's not really a whole lot of new "breaking news" requiring special coverage. It's the same stuff over and over.

Seems to me more likely Joe and Mika were given an option of going on or having the "breaking" coverage instead, and they eagerly grasped a chance to have a day off.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, Pike Ludwell said:

Seems to me more likely Joe and Mika were given an option of going on or having the "breaking" coverage instead, and they eagerly grasped a chance to have a day off.

I am surprised that Joe would not want to comment on the situation.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, oakville said:

I am surprised that Joe would not want to comment on the situation.

Maybe. I'm just not sure how much there is to comment on, except speaking out that it was horrible. I guess the conspiracy theories and the SS problems. But I think they'd mainly have been relegated to hosting the various reports and reporters chiming in with man on the street stuff and rehashes. Plus I think they'd love more rest after all their troubles the past week with the Biden situation.

Edited by Pike Ludwell

I was hoping to get some political perspective on the incident.  I can see why they'd steer away from conspiracy theories, like Ketchup vs Blood, but my goodness, these are supposedly professional commentators who can give opinions and talk about the convention, Nikki Haley now speaking, Biden's decision to fly back to the White House . . . I could go on, but you can fill in the rest.  Something IS fishy.  Jonathan Lemire, Eugene Robinson, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Claire McCaskill, Jonathan Capehart, Elise Jordan, Eugene  Daniels, my boyfriend Jon Meacham, even the pompous duo of Richard Haas and David Ignatius can all safely appear.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
20 minutes ago, Pike Ludwell said:

That explanation from Byron York just seems fishy. The idea that the producers had this concern about them saying something inappropriate sounds like right wing thinking. And, also, Joe and Mika would be quite offended.

York writes for the Washington Examiner, which is — well, it is what it is. That explanation comes from a link he shared to a CNN piece by Oliver Darcy, though. I think the key point in it is this:

A person familiar with the matter told CNN that the decision was made to avoid a scenario in which one of the show’s stable of two dozen-plus guests might make an inappropriate comment on live television that could be used to assail the program and network as a whole. link

That makes sense to me. They have too many guests, it would be too many variables to control.

I largely stopped watching Morning Joe a long time back. Since the dawn of the pandemic, it feels like half the time when I turn it on though, neither Joe nor Mika are there. Willie Geist or Jonathan Lemire are manning the desk. 

It seems to me that for conventions past, Joe & Mike have traveled to the convention city, and hosted the show from a pub, or something similar. It may be that there are security concerns right now, and they balked at their planned coverage. 

Can anyone remember if in previous convention years, the first day has been a travel day (or at least a Joe & Mike free day)? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oakville said:

But what about tomorrow or the next day? It's more than likely to come up when they return, and I'm sure the panel will have some thoughts, and it will still be a (somewhat) live show.

Rather than getting knee-capped by an errant on-air comment management seems to have made this a much bigger story, now about its opinion of their top-rated show.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, General Days said:

It seems to me that for conventions past, Joe & Mike have traveled to the convention city, and hosted the show from a pub, or something similar. It may be that there are security concerns right now, and they balked at their planned coverage. 

Can anyone remember if in previous convention years, the first day has been a travel day (or at least a Joe & Mike free day)? 

Mika & Joe last travelled to the 2016 RNC & DNC conventions. They were in a pub in Bob Costa & Chris Matthews.

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/this-is-a-different-convention-2016-impressions-727026755664

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe must be livid at being taken off the air. No one on the network puts Joe in a corner.

From the story on CNN's website the decision to not air today's show was made in conjunction with Mika and Joe

• Wink 1
3 minutes ago, tres bien said:

From the story on CNN's website the decision to not air today's show was made in conjunction with Mika and Joe

Perhaps, but I doubt MSNBC would state that Mika & Joe opposed having a show today. The network trusted Joe in 2020 to declare that Biden was elected President. Joe came in on a Saturday to make the announcement. He even wore a suit and a tie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

I don't doubt it.  It is another Day Off! Joe can wait for the dust to settle and then come in as the wise sage.  When I think about this, it's kind of disrespectful to the hosts (maybe) and regular reporters to think they cannot politically correctly navigate this story.  And shows they are not thinking of regular viewers.  Honestly? The whole thing sounds fishy to me.   

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Honestly? The whole thing sounds fishy to me.   

At the very least, knee-jerk self-censorship by a major media outlet at a time when most of its audience is terrified by the prospect of authoritarianism does not inspire confidence.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I remember when MSNBC gave Greta Van Susteren & Hugh Hewitt after Trump was elected in 2016. Joe applauded the move to bring more centrists to the network. Mika & Joe supported a purge of MSNBC hosts who were very progressive in 2016. Mika gave an interview to Vanity Fair, stating that she was happy that the network kept their people like Chuck Todd & Andrea Mitchell.

• LOL 1

They're back, but I just shut them off at 6:27 because I couldn't take another moment of Scarborough screeching about the Secret Service failing in the face of EXISTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES!  

The morning after the debate, Scarborough insisted that Biden has to step down.   The next day, Scarborough was "off."   The day after that, he came back waving major pom-poms for Biden's reelection and attacking anyone who said otherwise.

This week, MSNBC intercedes and gives the show a time-out on the first weekday following the Butler incident for fear that the hosts or guests might say something "inappropriate."   Once again, after being off-air for a day, Scarborough returns to the airwaves repetitively promoting a single theme, this time on behalf of Donald Trump's safety,

I used to think Scarborough's opinions were off the cuff and probably authentic.  But these two incidents, though slightly different, make me wonder if he is given direction from the top prior to the show.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Joe said he was lied to by MSNBC. There was supposed to be a continuous news feed all day. it didn't happen & now Joe says he will quit if the network ever does that to him again. Mika seemed to be nervous about quitting the show.

Joe is outraged at the SS. The SS should not leave Trump exposed on the stage.

They should have known about the shooter on the roof.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Joe said the SS didn't let Trump go to the Capitol on Jan 6, nor let Bush fly back to the White House on 9/11.

Joe won't stop yelling at the SS.

• Mind Blown 1