Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Seconded. Add to this the increasingly virulent paranoia about "fake news" and it's far too easy for people (at least ones I know who voted 45 in 2016) to disbelieve anything they don't agree with or threatens to question their assumptions. M.J. isn't hard core news, but it can be a kind of fun gossipy D.C. Mean Girls table (or those who want their seat back even though they dared wear a vest or sweatpants on Monday).  I catch it now and again just to be sure normalizing the current admin's "agenda" isn't happening on a regular basis. Kind of my bellwether. If the gossipy D.C. crowd goes all in, the beltway dam is done broke.

Meanwhile, I see Confessore and Peters are wearing matching polka dot ties. Cute. Confessore looks hella tired, which must be because he's used to rising at 9am or so (why, yes, I hate myself for knowing this). Is it me or was Peters doing a full-on shoulder shimmy the whole time he talked?  Also, did he get fresh veneers or something? He's bordering on Giada de Laurentis Jack-o-Lantern territory.

Joe...oh lord...never go without your glasses and at least one night's sleep before appearing on camera. It freaks me out when I can't even tell the color of someone's eyes under all the puffy face. 

I grew up watching the news & the Sunday Talk shows with my dad. I used to watch David Brinkley with Sam Donaldson, Cokie Roberts, & George Will. I used to watch CNBC in the morning for business news.

I think that the quality of cable news has deteriorated since the 1990's. CNN used to have good documentaries

Trump's obsession with twitter & watching cable news is ruining the quality of the shows. Trump tweets something obnoxious & shows like Morning Joe & CNN spend an hour discussing his latest tweet. It's circular, because Trump then attacks the coverage of his obnoxious tweet with an even more obnoxious tweet.

8 minutes ago, cased said:

Yesterday, I came across a photo on instagram of someone who ran into Joe and Mika this weekend. It looked like they were out jogging. The slits in Joe's eyes were so narrow, I was literally thinking this. If I can find a way to link to the photo here, I will try to do it this evening.

If Mika got Joe to start jogging, no wonder he looks so puffy & bloated. Were they jogging in Connecticut or New York?

• Love 2

Speaking of booking guests. CNN is doing a town hall with James Comey this week.

I'm very conflicted about him although I lean more sympathetic because of all the trump hate of him. I can't imagine any other president of any party do anything like this to anyone like James Comey.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

There are other venues to stay informed of the policy changes this Administration is undertaking.  Morning Joe is the last place I'd go for information, unless I want to see how not to apply eye liner and bronzer.

Bill Maher called out the media for paying attention to the craziness and not the underlying issues.  They are SO focused on the Mueller investigation, day in and day out, that the insanity goes unreported.  It gets mentioned briefly but then it's BREAKING NEWS : DONALD TRUMP SLEPT WITH WOMEN OTHER THAN HIS WIVES. or YET ANOTHER TRUMP CAMPAIGN MEMBER QUESTIONED. 

Why is it Sam Bee is the only show covering the ongoing crisis in Puerto Rico? Why isn't the media screaming to the heavens about this? Or Flint Michigan STILL not having clean water? 

Because Donald Trump's 9 millionth trip to a golf club are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT?   And of course Joe & Mika are on the cutting edge of this banality. Instead of having discussions on topics of relevance they're too busy stoking their ongoing feud with Trump.  Or torturing small animals and giving unwanted advice to women. 

Very good points, Teddysmom.  The crisis in Puerto Rico is very serious. Morning Joe focused on Trump tossing paper towels at Puerto Ricans after the hurricane.

Chuck Todd was excited about Puerto Ricans leaving the island and moving to Florida. Chuck believed that if enough Puerto Ricans left the island & settled in Florida, the Democrats could win the state & it's 29 electoral votes. Trump won Florida by 112k votes in 2016 & Obama won Florida in 2012 by 73K. According to Chuck Todd, most Puerto Ricans move to Orange County which includes Orlando. The Democrats improved their margin of victory by 50K in Orange County in 2016.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Meacham forgot to mention that George Sr ended up picking a highly respected Senator from Indiana who had issues with spelling, Dan Quayle.

Oh, how far we have fallen since the days when a misspelled "potatoe" can bring down a man's career forever (is Quayle still even alive? do we know?  has he been seen in public since being VP?), but a daily barrage of misspelled tweets and misplaced capital letters is now Presidential.

4 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe should pick a lane and stay in it. Either Trump is wrong to threaten North Korea with "Fire & Fury" or Trump is naive to believe Kim.

I have to disagree with you on this - both of those things are correct.  Trump IS wrong to threaten and provoke Kim on Twitter, and he is naive to believe Kim.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Oh, how far we have fallen since the days when a misspelled "potatoe" can bring down a man's career forever (is Quayle still even alive? do we know?  has he been seen in public since being VP?), but a daily barrage of misspelled tweets and misplaced capital letters is now Presidential.

I have to disagree with you on this - both of those things are correct.  Trump IS wrong to threaten and provoke Kim on Twitter, and he is naive to believe Kim.

The coverage of politics has changed since the 1980's. Texting has created a generation of people that can't spell . I agree with you that Trump is wrong to provoke Kim & everyone else he deals with. It's not Presidential or even what a normal adult would do.

Today would have been a good day for Morning Joe to have an expert on North Korea on the set. I still haven't seen the rest of the show.

I agree that Kim should not be trusted, however it is better to be talking about a summit location rather than discussing bombing targets in North Korea.

Meanwhile, I just turned on the TV to see that there has been an apparent terrorist attack in the city I work in about 15 minutes away from my office.

There are multiple casualties. This is horrible.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, oakville said:

If Mika got Joe to start jogging, no wonder he looks so puffy & bloated. Were they jogging in Connecticut or New York?

It's not definite that they were jogging, but they appeared to be wearing workout clothes. I don't know where they were, but the woman taking the photo appeared to be in Georgetown/DC area, so I assume they were there.

12 minutes ago, oakville said:

Meanwhile, I just turned on the TV to see that there has been an apparent terrorist attack in the city I work in about 15 minutes away from my office.

I'm so sorry about this. I did not see this until after I had posted my previous post. It makes the antics of Joe and Mika seem trivial.

Edited by cased
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, oakville said:

The coverage of politics has changed since the 1980's. Texting has created a generation of people that can't spell . I agree with you that Trump is wrong to provoke Kim & everyone else he deals with. It's not Presidential or even what a normal adult would do.

Today would have been a good day for Morning Joe to have an expert on North Korea on the set. I still haven't seen the rest of the show.

I agree that Kim should not be trusted, however it is better to be talking about a summit location rather than discussing bombing targets in North Korea.

Oakville I saw this and immediately thought of you.  I am so sorry.  Prayers for the great people of Canada.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Oakville I'm so sorry! I saw it happened, didn't realize that's where you are. 

Thanks. It's pretty scary since I occasionally attend training sessions at Yonge/ Sheppard  street at an office on the block where the van was stopped. Many people were walking outside today, since it's its a nice sunny day here  with temperatures  above 60 degrees F . I am so sad. I didn't go to work today because I wanted to look after my garden & take advantage of the nice weather. I came inside this afternoon to watch the news. I work near the NY equivalent of Grand Central Station & have always been afraid of someone using a vehicle to crash into pedestrians .

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Oakville I saw this and immediately thought of you.  I am so sorry.  Prayers for the great people of Canada.

Thanks. It's horrible because everyone is happy the past 2 days with nice weather. We have indoor underground PATH system in the downtown area so we don't have to walk outside in the cold weather. The weather has been good for the past 2 days, so more people choose to walk outside. It's been a very long winter. I am a bit freaked out now since I have walked on the very part of Yonge street where the rental car driver plowed through people. I have worried about this type of incident happening in Toronto for the past few years.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, stormy said:

Why should Joe and panel be surprised and disgusted that man baby acted like the only one not invited to his classmates party? And why should he stop tweeting vile garbage for any reason?

Why wasn't the fact that Romney now has to face a primary not mentioned? Who cares if he's not ready to support trump for 2020?

And what about Michael Bloomberg paying the USA's share of the Paris Accord dues?

And Carrie Underwood's scar!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, oakville said:

Trump's obsession with twitter & watching cable news is ruining the quality of the shows.

In part because the shows have become too self-aware.   The hosts flatter themselves that Trump is watching them at any given moment and try to play to that audience of one.  I have heard Chris Cuomo make that claim, Joe Scarborough, Mika, Donnie Deustch, etc.   They say, "It's well-known that President Trump closely follows morning cable news, so if you are listening, sir, I hope you will [insert talking point of the day]" or they take credit for inspiring his tweets.   I recall one day when both Cuomo/Camerota and Scarborough/Mika BOTH claimed that something said on their show triggered a tweet.  

I remember thinking, "My God, where is your dignity?"

Scarborough openly and unabashedly tries to goad him, "Obviously Ty Cobb wants to keep Donald Trump from testifying before Robert Mueller because he knows his client isn't smart enough for Robert Mueller.  Don't you think so, Mika?  Donald Trump, with his five Vietnam deferments, just isn't smart enough to face Robert Mueller, a decorated veteran and stalwart patriot.  Not.  Smart.  Enough." 

They're like a bunch of boys at the fishing hole, each with a line in the water, hoping Old Lunker bites.  In the meantime, we, the viewers, are being forgotten.    

• Love 2
11 hours ago, oakville said:

I grew up watching the news & the Sunday Talk shows with my dad. I used to watch David Brinkley with Sam Donaldson, Cokie Roberts, & George Will. I used to watch CNBC in the morning for business news.

I think that the quality of cable news has deteriorated since the 1990's. CNN used to have good documentaries

Trump's obsession with twitter & watching cable news is ruining the quality of the shows. Trump tweets something obnoxious & shows like Morning Joe & CNN spend an hour discussing his latest tweet. It's circular, because Trump then attacks the coverage of his obnoxious tweet with an even more obnoxious tweet.

The last photo here has Joe, with the squintiest eyes ever, that made me wonder how he can even see (maybe the sun was in his eyes?), and both Joe and Mika with crazy hair.

Edited by cased
  • Love 2

There are some hilarious pictures from Mika's event especially the group shot where Meeks is sporting that plastic Value purse and Halle Berry needs to have a few sitting properly in a short skirt lesson.  That is one bored looking honoree.

Tuesday's drinking game will be the words "welfare queen" as that is what Bret Stephens called Hannity earlier today.  Joe is gonna be lovin' on that, he may even show up for work.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, izabella said:

Oh, how far we have fallen since the days when a misspelled "potatoe" can bring down a man's career forever (is Quayle still even alive? do we know?  has he been seen in public since being VP?), 

Timely question!  He was at the funeral of Mrs. Bush.

I have to give Joe a pass on squinting into the sun. ☀️ But I saw him at the start of Monday's show, and he was having trouble keeping his eyes open.  ? (my iPod provided the graphics without asking) 

• Love 2

Tuesday Recap. They started with a clip making fun of Trump's Doctor who was nominated to be VA Secretary. Joe is in a bunker. Mika is wearing an orange scarf with a red top. Barnicle, & sleeveless Elise Jordan are on the set. President Bush Sr is in hospital. I have a feeling that they will mock President Trump.

Due to the Van Attack in Toronto, I am switching to Canadian news. Stay Snarky my Friends!

• Love 6

I flipped back to Morning Joe. Mika said Joe's article in the Washington Post was good. Joe thanked Mika. The new topic is Trump won't run again in 2020. He is worried about the Southern District of New York. Joe said his sources are close to Trump!. Joe used to be a Trump insider, & now he has to rely on sources!. Joe is in an important person. Trump is doomed!. Ivana said that Trump wants to play golf & enjoy his fortune.

Trump likes Mar A Largo.

I do think that Trump could quietly decide that for health reasons, he won't run in 2020. This makes sense to me. a 2020 GOP nomination fight would be awesome.

Joe said Trump's PR stunt of running for President went spectacularly wrong & he ended up in the White House. Wow Joe!

Joe said Obama wanted to avoid being a one term student . It would be a stain. Sort of like being a 3 term Florida Congressman who quits his job to spend more time with his family :)

Joe is talking up Mark Cuban challenging Trump for the GOP nomination. Sigh!

• Love 3

Holy Cow--not only is Mika wearing her Unitarian Scarf (tm oakville), She's also wearing some sort of Ecclesiastical robe or garment!!

Oakville, just saw that the Canada tragedy was near you.  Sorry that the USA-style shenanigans have come your way.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Holy Cow--not only is Mika wearing her Unitarian Scarf (tm oakville), She's also wearing some sort of Ecclesiastical robe or garment!!

Oakville, just saw that the Canada tragedy was near you.  Sorry that the USA-style shenanigans have come your way.

Thanks. It turns out that the van driver was a fan of the Involuntary Celibate movement. He copied  Eliot Rodger who was the murderer in Isla vista.

Mikas scarf looks like Neapolitan ice cream colors.

Jonah Goldberg is on to share his wisdom from the mountaintop and I actually started to listen.  Then he came out with it's a problem with the left and the right, both sides do it, a pox on both of their houses, and I was done.  False equivalence is one of the classic ways that conservowhackadoodles try to pretend that the hell we're in is not all on them. 

Elise is in sleeveless again, but the dress is black and she's not being shot from the sides and her upper arms look good today. 

• Love 9

It  was great to see/hear Jonah Goldberg just now if for no other reason than to see Joe's face as he was trying to keep up with what Jonah was saying.  He gave Tucker Carlson a run for his money in the dumb look department.

Then they had to go ruin it by having Rand Paul on . . . blech.  It was so touching to hear Sen. Coon's explanation of why he voted present iso No and Corker's reaction to it and then they have this lying sack of crap on.

• Love 3

I turned it on and was blinded by the platinum hair of Mika and that author.  For a minute I thought I had on an episode of Game of Thrones and they were White Walkers. 

Then she starts talking about "I was sleeping upstairs and Joe had to get coffee. You don't expect me to do that", and I was blind and nauseous. 

For God's sake Mika, shut the fuck up.  

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I turned it on and was blinded by the platinum hair of Mika and that author.  For a minute I thought I had on an episode of Game of Thrones and they were White Walkers. 

Then she starts talking about "I was sleeping upstairs and Joe had to get coffee. You don't expect me to do that", and I was blind and nauseous. 

She shouldn't be expected to get her own coffee?

Lol, the first time I read that I read it as "I was sleeping under the stairs."

• Love 1

She shouldn't be expected to get her own coffee?

Lol, the first time I read that I read it as "I was sleeping under the stairs."

Remember Joe's birthday when she ordered two staffers to bring over forks and plates?  God forbid she get off her boney ass and help them. 

• Love 4

Jonah Greenberg was great.  He made a self deprecating joke about being intimidated by all the wonky heavy hitters at the desk, and that put Joe on edge.  Joe had like a, "Hey, you makin' fun of me?" look on his face.
I bought the book off my Amazon app while at the gym.  I'll do that repeatedly if they have thoughtful guests on.  I love how he claimed part of the issue with polarization and populism and nationalism had to do with viewing politics as entertainment (something I've been saying for years), delicately laying partial blame at all their feet.  I'm fairly certain nobody there thought that pertained to them - they've blocked out Trump as a daily guest from early summer 2016 to winter of 2016.
Perfect example of Greenberg's point:  Shania Twain said 2 days ago that if she were American she'd have voted for Trump.  Because it's refreshing that a politician will say what's on his mind and it's time for more of that, and she was tired of politicians being careful with their words.  FWIW, her gay fan based revolted and now her career is in jeopardy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

It  was great to see/hear Jonah Goldberg just now if for no other reason than to see Joe's face as he was trying to keep up with what Jonah was saying.  He gave Tucker Carlson a run for his money in the dumb look department.

Then they had to go ruin it by having Rand Paul on . . . blech.  It was so touching to hear Sen. Coon's explanation of why he voted present iso No and Corker's reaction to it and then they have this lying sack of crap on.

Was Elise Jordan on the panel when her former boss was being interviewed? She is usually called a staffer for GW Bush.

52 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Jonah Greenberg was great.  He made a self deprecating joke about being intimidated by all the wonky heavy hitters at the desk, and that put Joe on edge.  Joe had like a, "Hey, you makin' fun of me?" look on his face.
I bought the book off my Amazon app while at the gym.  I'll do that repeatedly if they have thoughtful guests on.  I love how he claimed part of the issue with polarization and populism and nationalism had to do with viewing politics as entertainment (something I've been saying for years), delicately laying partial blame at all their feet.  I'm fairly certain nobody there thought that pertained to them - they've blocked out Trump as a daily guest from early summer 2016 to winter of 2016.
Perfect example of Greenberg's point:  Shania Twain said 2 days ago that if she were American she'd have voted for Trump.  Because it's refreshing that a politician will say what's on his mind and it's time for more of that, and she was tired of politicians being careful with their words.  FWIW, her gay fan based revolted and now her career is in jeopardy.

Shania is Canadian & a bit weird. Her mentor husband left Shania for a lady . Shania retaliated by going after that lady’s husband.

its like Susan Scarborough hooking up with Jim Hoffer.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I agree. Chuck Todd & Joe specialize in horse race politics. They are supposed to be experts on polls. It’s dumb because 2016 shows polls don’t work in this day & age. 

I think Kornacki was on today but I missed it 

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Steve Ratner! Charts! Complaints about the deficit! I can't even get this at 6 am. 

All I hear is creepy Dick Cheney's constant "deficits don't matter" BS.

It’s true that the rising deficit will lead to higher interest rates.

Trumps economic policy of cutting taxes now is wrong.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, oakville said:

Was Elise Jordan on the panel when her former boss was being interviewed? She is usually called a staffer for GW Bush.

Oakville, I honestly don't know as I changed the channel the minute I saw Paul.  I am in new laptop hell right now so he was the last thing I needed to see this morning.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

The thought of "Joe the bully", having to get up to get coffee for Mika before she wakes up makes me laugh. I also find it sort of endearing, in a strange kind of way.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, cased said:

The thought of "Joe the bully", having to get up to get coffee for Mika before she wakes up makes me laugh. I also find it sort of endearing, in a strange kind of way.

Recent article about them referred to it as "PW", She got him to stop being a Republican, how much more PW could he be? 

https://crooksandliars.com/2018/04/morning-joe-presents-history-re-written

C&L pointing out that Joe & Barnicle's rewriting of history today, "ideology over Country", was alive and well when Joey was a freshman Congressman.  

Also, points for Nick Fury reference. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, cased said:

I also find it sort of endearing, in a strange kind of way.

Yeah, except for those times when he spills it accidentally (not accidentally), or brings up an empty mug then pretends to throw it on her.  And when she comes downstairs and he's sitting sprawled out in the kitchen listening to sports radio in his gym shorts and t shirt, eating a doughnut with his mouth open and a fresh doughnut in his hand.  She says you shouldn't eat doughnuts and he laughs spitting crumbs everywhere and says something unintelligible and puts the whole next doughnut into his mouth.

• Love 4

Is it possible that Joe could be ill?  That is why he never appears present on his own show?  Would that explain the Beady Eyes?  Could he be retaining water?  Don't mean to make light of him possibly being ill.  Well, maybe a bit.  But what else could explain his hardly ever being in the studio?  Geez, he gets on my very very last nerve. (Very Very courtesy of D Trump...ever notice how often he doubles it?)

• Love 2

When JoMika were talking about Ronnie Jackson, I guess they hadn't read any of the online news yet this morning? 

Apparently he has a drinking problem, and creates a toxic work environment and his nomination will get pulled. 

Maybe the drinking explains his crazy press briefing and talk of Trump's perfect physique and eternal health and good looks.

"Whaddaya want? I was bombed outta my mind!" 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Oakville, I honestly don't know as I changed the channel the minute I saw Paul.  I am in new laptop hell right now so he was the last thing I needed to see this morning.

Morning usually does a good job of hiding peoples jobs on the show. Harold Ford Jr was called a Professor from Michigan yet he worked in Investment Banking. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, stormy said:

But Joe's saying esteemed leader over and over was annoying.

Agree.  Trump doesn't even watch MJ anymore does he? Why do they bother with the constant digs. It's not like the staff is going to report what they say. And the viewers, what's left of them, are getting tired of it. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Is it possible that Joe could be ill?  That is why he never appears present on his own show?  Would that explain the Beady Eyes?  Could he be retaining water?  Don't mean to make light of him possibly being ill.  Well, maybe a bit.  But what else could explain his hardly ever being in the studio?  Geez, he gets on my very very last nerve. (Very Very courtesy of D Trump...ever notice how often he doubles it?)

Kemper, I was a bit concerned but Cased posted photos from an Instagram account of the two of them over the weekend and they both looked just fine.  Maybe he is having issues in his personal life but to be honest who hasn't and we all still manage to make it into work every day and show up prepared and not like something the cat just dragged in.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Kemper, I was a bit concerned but Cased posted photos from an Instagram account of the two of them over the weekend and they both looked just fine.  Maybe he is having issues in his personal life but to be honest who hasn't and we all still manage to make it into work every day and show up prepared and not like something the cat just dragged in.

I still think Mika makes him sleep outside in the barnyard and he goes after the salt lick. It would explain all the puffiness. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Shania is Canadian & a bit weird. Her mentor husband left Shania for a lady . Shania retaliated by going after that lady’s husband.

To be fair: the so-called lady was Shania's best friend and then personal assistant for many, many years. During the divorces, Shania and her former friend's husband grew close during WTF-was-that-about conversations. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cased said:

Joe needs to know his value, grow his value.

• Love 1

Just curious, did they bring up Sean "Welfare Queen" Hannity at all today as that story is rolling along and now may have ensnared Carson in its ooze.  I would think Joe would love to screw with Hannity over this.

• Love 2