Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Brian will be the host of the Election Night coverage on MSNBC. 

Relegating Joe & Mika to Peacock is pretty much a slap in the face.  I would love to find out if Brian or Rachel told TPTB "No Scarborough on our broadcast". 

Brian has made comments about Mika reading Joe's WaPo columns on air, by complimenting Eugene on his column and saying that Eugene is too humble to read his column on air, unlike "some people" but I would like to ask you what you meant...", and I'm sure Joe wouldn't go within 20 feet of a studio where his arch nemesis "R" is sitting.  

MSNBC probably already had enough people booked. I'm wondering what kind of shape Mika is going to be in at 9 pm. Shouldn't she be in bed by then? The sugar rush would have worn off and the Vodka and Ambien will be kicking in. 

The good news is, if they're in FL, the control room can cut their feed whenever they have to. 

Peacock TV isn't available in Canada , so I won't be able to watch it. There are better options than Mika & Joe on election night.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2020 at 6:54 PM, teddysmom said:

I guess I missed that five minutes. 

Well I did use the word "relative". Grading on a curve here. But I think he cleans up well, for his age.

I don't really think Joe and Mika are engaged in any dramatic feuds with Brian or Rachel or anyone tbh. They seem pretty chill. And sort of isolated in their slot anyway, idk

On 10/20/2020 at 7:58 PM, teddysmom said:

MSNBC probably already had enough people booked. I'm wondering what kind of shape Mika is going to be in at 9 pm. Shouldn't she be in bed by then? The sugar rush would have worn off and the Vodka and Ambien will be kicking in. 

The good news is, if they're in FL, the control room can cut their feed whenever they have to. 

If Mika's gonna be on Vodka and Ambien, I hope they invite Peggy Noonan. It'll be freakin epic.  

I'm sorta-ish excited about this but I hope they find some way to make it energetic and interesting, like hopefully they won't be in the Florida basement for something like this? 

ETA: Well obviously I TAKE BACK the Peggy Noonan thing after her DUMBASS article saying Kamala shouldn't be "dancing", etc, wtf, Peggy...please go back on Ambien or whatever and regain your sense of joy and humanity  

Edited by neona
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, neona said:

don't really think Joe and Mika are engaged in any dramatic feuds with Brian or Rachel or anyone tbh

I'm not implying they have active "feuds" going on, it's more "yeah we tolerate him but if we had our druthers, hard pass".  We know the little hissy fit Joe threw when Rachel shut him down on MTP years ago.

And we've all talked about how they use the show to promote their personal projects at the expense of the quality of the show. 

There have been stories of people at MSNBC being upset about Joe & Mika and their attempt to rehabilitate Halperin, and seeing how they both fly off the handle any time someone disagrees with them, I'm gonna guess they aren't going to win any popularity contests.  

I also think the constant baiting of Trump is an attempt to get him to attack them, and then they get everyone feeling sorry for them.  Yes I believe Joe is that devious.  Because he loves the attention. And so does Mika. 

YMMV. 🙂 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika was instrumental in getting Joe properly dressed for the show over the past few years. However, since the summer, Joe looks unkempt.

As does she.

Putting them on Peacock is just throwing them a bone but I don't know why. I'm no fan of NBC personalities but I would imagine that people who do follow the NBC/MSNBC crowd only watch MJ because that's what's on when they click on the tv in the morning. They wait patiently through MJ for the real heavy hitters to come on. I just can't believe anyone would go to Peacock for JoMeeka when the all-stars are on the other venues. Frankly, I'd think Peacock would just run regular NBC programming on such a big night. Weird.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

As does she.

Putting them on Peacock is just throwing them a bone but I don't know why. I'm no fan of NBC personalities but I would imagine that people who do follow the NBC/MSNBC crowd only watch MJ because that's what's on when they click on the tv in the morning. They wait patiently through MJ for the real heavy hitters to come on. I just can't believe anyone would go to Peacock for JoMeeka when the all-stars are on the other venues. Frankly, I'd think Peacock would just run regular NBC programming on such a big night. Weird.

Is it possible that MSNBC is testing Mika & Joe's star power and ratings against other MSNBC personalities as a way to decide whether or not

to renegotiate their contract in 2021?

Mika & Joe will be much less relevant in a Biden administration with a Democratic controlled Senate & House.

Morning Joe thrived during the first two years of the Obama administration & then when the Tea Party wing took over Congress in 2010.

Joe's friends in Congress were in the Tea Party , so they liked to come on the show and debate the Obama administration.

Mika & Joe can't criticize an incoming Biden administration , so what will they discuss in the spring of 2021?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, teddysmom said:

We can look forward to the political insights of Barnicle and Donny and the other misfit toys from MJ Island.

Edited by SG429
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Joe said that most of the people he knows are voting for Trump.  He cannot believe it because he thinks Trump is an autocrat who wants to arrest his rivals 

Willie said the president makes outrageous statements.  Willie thinks that the election is about coronavirus.

Joe continued to insist that people who care more about their 401k will vote for Trump.

Joe said that the press is liberal and people go against the press.  According to Joe people vote against Don Lemon and the NY Times.  He said people will vote for Trump despite him being an autocrat.  This includes his friends and family members.

Mika looks squinty, pissed and disgusted that Joe knows Trump supporters.  Do these people not talk when they are at home?  She seems not to know about some of Joe's friends and family.  Maybe they are not allowed at the JoeMika mansion.

Joe quoted a line from "A River Runs Through It" when Tom Skerrit said that you sometimes love what you don't understand.  Mika was pissed because she hasn't seen A River Runs Through It."

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1

Wow Joe is having a long-ass one-sided conversation with people WHO AREN'T WATCHING THIS SHOW. Dude, who's "you"? It's not uuuuuus

2 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

Mika looks squinty, pissed, and disgusted that Joe knows Trump supporters.

The woman is a freakin saint. Please Mika just punch him! Make it stoooop LOL

• Love 1

Joe should bring his friends on the show and debate with them rather than a one sided rant.

Joe should realize that some people don't take Trump's tweets & outrageous statements seriously.

Joe is repeating his 2016 rants about what Trump said about Hillary Clinton.

That didn't stop Mika & Joe from flying down to Mar A Largo at NYE.

• Love 2

I was kind of shocked by Joe this morning.  It's like he is using other voters as a proxy for what he really thinks.

I felt like he was one moment away from saying that there are voters who don't care about what MSNBC anchors think, but he stopped himself and just mentioned Don Lemon and the New York Times.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1

Mika said that Star Trek & Star Wars are the same thing. Kaie threw up her hands in disgust.

image.png.4adbc4c02c304528b81b485130f0b77b.png

BTW, This is me. I am Liz Lemon.   

I guess we're supposed to like Mika's brother but I happened to turn it on just when he said "Mika Americans living in Europe LOOVE your show".

So now I have to tell another Brzezinski to F off??!! Seriously??!!  My own sister wouldn't stoop to kissing my ass like that. 

Kasie didn't like the Trump campaign using the Death Star from Star Wars as a Gif because the Death Star blew up at the end of the movie.

Why are they talking about this?  It happened months ago, and using bad metaphors to describe the campaign are the least of Brad Parscale's problems. 

3 hours ago, neona said:

The woman is a freakin saint. Please Mika just punch him! Make it stoooop LOL

Apparently no one told Mika, be very careful what you wish for.  Saint?   

3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Joe quoted a line from "A River Runs Through It" when Tom Skerrit said that you sometimes love what you don't understand.  Mika was pissed because she hasn't seen A River Runs Through It."

I would think Mika would relate to that line.  It should have been part of their wedding vows. 

Or they could have just used that Death Star stuff 

"It blows up in the end. "

Or "IT'S A TRAP!!!!!" 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

guess we're supposed to like Mika's brother but I happened to turn it on just when he said "Mika Americans living in Europe LOOVE your show".

So now I have to tell another Brzezinski to F off??!! Seriously??!!  My own sister wouldn't stoop to kissing my ass like that. 

Seriously? He was on again? Here they are days away from the election and that's the best they can do for a guest? There is a stable's worth of pundits chomping at the bit to get facetime, yet all they can get is the host's bro-in-law? Guess they've either burned bridges or legit politicos are holding out for legit shows. This doesn't bode well for the Peacock endeavor...perhaps Bomba and her chainsaw will join the duo, Donnie and Barnicle on election night. Riveting stuff.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Seriously? He was on again?

They were talking about Americans overseas voting and he said "you and Joe need to tell them to vote for America, to bring it back to its glory". 

Yes make these two egomaniacs think they're going to save America. Jesus F Christ. I'm going to throw up. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

I was kind of shocked by Joe this morning.  It's like he is using other voters as a proxy for what he really thinks.

I felt like he was one moment away from saying that there are voters who don't care about what MSNBC anchors think, but he stopped himself and just mentioned Don Lemon and the New York Times.

This is an interesting comment.

I find it hard to believe that Joe has become so reluctant to defend the political positions that he held through most of his adult life. Joe was a radical right winger when he was in Congress.

Joe's animosity towards President Trump is real, but it's difficult to understand why he would be so reluctant to criticize the parts of the Democratic party platform that he disagrees with.

Joe used to freak out over any attempt by Democrats to propose tax increases on high income earners. He hasn't said a peep about Biden's plan to increase taxes on those earning over $400K per year.

He has barely said anything about ACB's nomination.

I think one reason he is staying quiet is that he doesn't want to lose his $7m a year job at MSNBC & have Mika yell at him if the show gets cancelled.

• Love 3

Mika started cry reading at 6 45 am over the story about 545 children being separated from their parents.

In this case it's kinda warranted tho. I wish the media would go all out and call this what it is: state-sanctioned kidnapping. You don't just "lose" kids' family details. It's fucking atrocious. Soboroff and Ainsley deserve every award there is for their work on this 

4 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Do these people not talk when they are at home?  She seems not to know about some of Joe's friends and family.  Maybe they are not allowed at the JoeMika mansion.

I think it's just the way he talks, like hes' the lord of the manor. It's kinda disrespectful, he should really make an effort to include her, at least when she's sitting right there 

I like Dr B Mini Me...he was only there for like 3 secs though...come baaack Little B and explain this Nagorno-Karabakh shit

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, neona said:
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika started cry reading at 6 45 am over the story about 545 children being separated from their parents.

In this case it's kinda warranted tho. I wish the media would go all out and call this what it is: state-sanctioned kidnapping. You don't just "lose" kids' family details. It's fucking atrocious. Soboroff and Ainsley deserve every award there is for their work on this 

I think it's just something about Mika that grates on people.  I've seen Katy and others get angry about this, but it's not this whiny "cry reading", because it's so over the top.  If she's so worried about this issue, why doesn't she ever do any "journalism", like she likes to call herself? 

She sits on her ass cry reading about stuff. Go cover the story on the ground.  She does her job from her home. She used to do her job from a studio or a bar stool in a pub.  Or hungover on the WH lawn. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

If she's so worried about this issue, why doesn't she ever do any "journalism", like she likes to call herself? 

Because she's busy hanging plants on her mother's patio, according to her instagram. 

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe's animosity towards President Trump is real, but it's difficult to understand why he would be so reluctant to criticize the parts of the Democratic party platform that he disagrees with.

Because he's officially tied to the Brzezinski's now and he has to toe the family line. Along with being forced to follow the MSNBC dogma in order to keep that big salary. Principles fly out the window. Such a milquetoast.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Because she's busy hanging plants on her mother's patio, according to her instagram. 

Because he's officially tied to the Brzezinski's now and he has to toe the family line. Along with being forced to follow the MSNBC dogma in order to keep that big salary. Principles fly out the window. Such a milquetoast.

Mika's self imposed exile to Jupiter Florida has inhibited her work ethic. 

One of Mika's brothers is a Republican & the other one is a Democrat that was Ambassador to Sweden during the Obama administration.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, oakville said:

I don't think it's difficult to understand at all, tbh. He's been pretty clear about it: he's putting that shit aside to Save Democracy. As is Michael Steele, etc, etc. This is not my opinion - it's literally what they've all explicitly said on the tee-vee. Sometimes ad nauseam. Over and over and over. To the extent that it's an insult to intelligent viewers because, good for you, gold star for being a decent human, etc etc, but we geddit, LOL

ETA: not to say I don't appreciate it, I do. Bless their pontificating hearts

Edited by neona
  • Love 3
On 10/20/2020 at 3:16 PM, oakville said:

Peacock TV isn't available in Canada , so I won't be able to watch it. There are better options than Mika & Joe on election night.

Wherever Nicolle Wallace goes, I will follow.

• Love 11

James Carville was on the show talking about the last 12 days of the election.  He has on a sweatshirt with a huge LSU logo and a baseball cap. I can hardly understand a darn thing the guy says.  They need subtitles for his interviews.   I have spent a fair amount of time in Louisiana and I can hardly understand one word that Carville says.

Joe asked why 47 percent of Americans want Trump as president.  Joe is upset that Trump did not tweet about Barack Obama's car rally in Philadelphia.  He theorized that someone took Trump's phone.

So, Joe is now wishcasting what the president might say on Twitter.  As much as Joe acts like he loathes the president, this shows how much he and other media use his Twitter feed as a programming crutch.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 6

I liked Joe's lengthy discussion with Meacham. It was basically the same subject as Joe's rant yesterday, except there was an actual exchange of ideas and sharing of experiences...and no yelling, heh

Caaaarville! is! here! Being awesome, and showing Joe, if your gonna do the grandpa sweater thing, it CAN be a fun badass sweater, not a hunchback of notre dame sweater

Barnicle is sitting in front of a scary-ass picture that makes it look like a goblin is trying to climb onto his head. It's very on-brand 

• Love 3

Joe said that Trump has to win Florida or the election is over.

Kornacki said that Pennsylvania is the state that Trump is focusing on the mid west.

Florida will report the elections early on election night.

• Love 3

Meacham said he got interested in politics because of Ronald Reagan . He is proud of being George H.W. Bush's biographer.

Joe said he lives in a very red part of Florida. His friends & family members will vote for Trump.

Joe gave the justifications why people would vote for Trump. They read conspiracies of Facebook & don't like regulations.

Joe is mad at Trump trying to get Barr to arrest his opponents.

• Love 3

Kasie was allowed to apeak at 6 30 am. Kasie said that if the Democrats win a landslide, the Trump supporting Republicans will have difficulty reconciling with those like Jeff Flake & Ben Sasse. The Trumpers will have to answer questions about why  they supported him.

Joe brought up Mark Sanford. He survived a personal controversy ( affair in Argentina) & was re elected after apologizing . He was voted out because he didn't support Trump enough.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Maybe they'll move Morning Joe to Peacock and put a decent program on MSNBC.  Joshua and Yasmin!! 

In terms Joe can understand, they're being shipped from the Double-A squad down to the Single-A farm team, where NBC currently has its up-and-coming rookies.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Carville said that Americans are tired of living with Trump's tweets and noise.

Carville said Trump has to be defeated by more than 5 points in order to agree to transfer the power peacefully.

Joe used his cellphone to read random polls.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, SG429 said:

In terms Joe can understand, they're being shipped from the Double-A squad down to the Single-A farm team, where NBC currently has its up-and-coming rookies.

On the other hand Joe and Mika haven’t done any debate or election coverage in recent years, so in a way this is a step up. Plus, With streaming platforms being the future for TV, NBC is looking to promote Peacock, and get as many viewers as possible. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, SG429 said:

Yep they're being sent down. It's almost worse than being traded. 

When I turned it on this morning Meacham was speaking, for what seemed like quite a while (considering the show he was on). I figured Joe was off. 

Then Kasie spoke about Republicans digging themselves into a hole they're never going to get out of, as far as their allegiance to Trump,  and when Joe finally chimed in, he directed his comment to Mika. "But Mika, don't you think......" 

Joe saw Obama baiting Trump last night and couldn't stand it. That's why he kept saying Trump had his phone taken away from him.  

• Love 3

Mika is retweeting a bunch of stuff this morning with One Word comments in all caps with exclamation marks. 

READ!  CLOSE! AMEN!!!  FUN!!!   

https://twitter.com/morningmika

Oh and they are getting Heileman and one of the historians, I think Beschloss, and Michael Schmidt. So Nicole lent them her bf.  Willie is on too. And Mara. 

Their coverage starts at 8:45 which I assume is 15 minutes before the debate, and then I guess they'll be doing critiques afterward. 

I almost want to watch just to see what shape Mika is in.  I don't know how long the debate is supposed to last, if it starts at 9, then maybe an hour?  

image.png

• LOL 2
29 minutes ago, cased said:

With streaming platforms being the future for TV

But then there's Quibi. Or, then there WAS Quibi.

5 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Mika is retweeting a bunch of stuff this morning with One Word comments in all caps with exclamation marks.

I imagine she's trying out her "commentary" for tonight.🙁  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
Just now, plumbago blues said:

But then there's Quibi. Or, then there WAS Quibi.

Yeah I heard that this morning. I don't watch stuff on my phone. That's what I have tvs for. 

1 minute ago, plumbago blues said:

I imagine she's trying out her "commentary" for tonight.🙁  

UMMM.  OOOH.

This is a conversation that we need to have.  

👀 (Eye roll) 

😰cry reading 

😵 confused

• LOL 4

Joe and Mika are doing the debate coverage on Peacock tonight. 

I know Peacock (gag) is a NBC product, but it seems like such an overt product placement (like KYV)

Carville said that Americans are tired of living with Trump's tweets and noise.

42%, or about 1/2 of America isn't however, and that baffles me to no motherlovin' end.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I know Peacock (gag) is a NBC product, but it seems like such an overt product placement (like KYV)

The name is dumb but it is their logo since the beginning of time. I don't know what the point of the streaming service is. 

Other than they saw CBS doing it and figured it's a way to make more $. 

1 minute ago, plumbago blues said:

My juvenile mind made me think that Peacock is the perfect name for a platform for these two: Pea-brained Mika and Cocky Joe.

Right now they have a morning news show with two people I have never heard of, so maybe they are thinking of moving Lady McCake & Douche to that platform to get more viewers. 

• Love 2

I feel disloyal because I really like MJ (most of the time, except for the angry ranting) buuuuut it's on at the same time as Joy, Rachel and Nicolle, and that's such a special treat tbh, it's like having cocktails with your friends. it's so free flowing and fun and smart. And they're all in studio together. And it only happens on special occasions, so...

It's a bit odd the network is sort of...competing against itself, idk?  

Edited by neona
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

The name is dumb but it is their logo since the beginning of time.

If I was their marketing chief, I'd have named it Peak. I see Peak as meaning the top or ultimate...Still playing off the logo but no-one needs a Cock in their name today; plenty will show up on the platform. 

15 minutes ago, neona said:

It's a bit odd the network is sort of...competing against itself, idk?  

Yeah. Let the cannibalism begin.

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Yeah. Let the cannibalism begin.

Well that's depressing...I honestly like them all in different ways... I don't know why it has to be a competition...

But tbh I just read the program description, and it says on Peacock it starts at 8.45 p.m. then the debate is 9 - 10.30 p.m. and then there's...30 min of post-debate analysis. So 15 min plus 30 min is a total of 45 min... and if the broadcast follows the new Joe-centric Morning Joe format, 10 min before and 20 min after will be Joe ranting and yelling and only a few minutes left allotted for Mika and the guests... so it all seems a bit futile, and I feel less guilty for choosing the girls (and dad-waiting-in-the-car-BW).

I have higher hopes for the MJ election night coverage, tbh, which will probably drag on and all participants will have time to breathe and participate equally 

Edited by neona
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

The name is dumb but it is their logo since the beginning of time. I don't know what the point of the streaming service is. 

Other than they saw CBS doing it and figured it's a way to make more $. 

Right now they have a morning news show with two people I have never heard of, so maybe they are thinking of moving Lady McCake & Douche to that platform to get more viewers. 

Cable and satellite are losing subscribers like crazy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/biz/news/cable-satellite-tv-2019-cord-cutting-6-million-1203507695/amp/

Some people (like me) are going with cable-like services such as YouTube TV, but others are just going with services such as Netflix or Disney Plus, and antenna, and free services such as Pluto TV or Tubi. Networks are starting to realize this, and trying to position themselves for the future with their own streaming services.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, cased said:

Some people (like me) are going with cable-like services such as YouTube TV, but others are just going with services such as Netflix or Disney Plus, and antenna, and free services such as Pluto TV or Tubi. Networks are starting to realize this, and trying to position themselves for the future with their own streaming services.

I've been thinking about switching to Hulu Live. 

Re Peacock I don't see anything on it that interests me, as far as shows. I watched coverage of the Barrett hearings because my BF Joshua Johnson hosted and had Pete Williams on to explain.  SOOO much better than Chuck the Toad Todd. 

1 hour ago, neona said:

I have higher hopes for the MJ election night coverage, tbh, which will probably drag on and all participants will have time to breathe and participate equally 

I don't know if I can take that night, even with BriWi and the Ladies, let alone  if I had to listen to Joestradamus bellowing at everyone about how he knew what would happen because Congress and lawyer. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I don't know if I can take that night, even with BriWi and the Ladies, let alone  if I had to listen to Joestradamus bellowing at everyone about how he knew what would happen because Congress and lawyer. 

No, I agree. The best solution is to drink a bottle of vodka, straight, at 6 p.m. and then wake up to the Future, twelve hours later. Whatever it may fucking be.

Edited by neona
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, neona said:

Well that's depressing...I honestly like them all in different ways... I don't know why it has to be a competition...

But tbh I just read the program description, and it says on Peacock it starts at 8.45 p.m. then the debate is 9 - 10.30 p.m. and then there's...30 min of post-debate analysis. So 15 min plus 30 min is a total of 45 min... and if the broadcast follows the new Joe-centric Morning Joe format, 10 min before and 20 min after will be Joe ranting and yelling and only a few minutes left allotted for Mika and the guests... so it all seems a bit futile, and I feel less guilty for choosing the girls (and dad-waiting-in-the-car-BW).

I am surprised that they won't have Joe telling Biden & Trump how to answer the questions during the debate.

• LOL 3