Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

Yes. If the heat doesn't kill you, the humidity will. 

And I'm a few hours north of Joe.

Indiana is in the middle of a humidity heat wave, I cannot imagine being in FL.  It was 78 at 6 am this morning, dew point 74%. Thank God it's cloudy.  You walk outside and feel dirty, the air is so stagnant. 

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe is happy that Biden isn't supporting looting in Minneapolis, Kenosha & Chicago.

Joe other than looters, who do you think supports looting?   What kind of idiot statement is that? 

Joe Biden: Against Crime 

JFC 

• Love 8

Heilemann said that Democratic strategists were worried about RNC conventions first three days trying to soften Trump's image.

However, Trump's speech was too long and boring last night, so the GOP lost any advantage they had.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Indiana is in the middle of a humidity heat wave, I cannot imagine being in FL.  It was 78 at 6 am this morning, dew point 74%. Thank God it's cloudy.  You walk outside and feel dirty, the air is so stagnant. 

When the colors in the backdrop look good and easy on the eye, he's in FL. When they change to the migraine-inducing technicolor blue, like today, he's somewhere else (wherever it is Mika has been for the past few weeks). I notice it instantly because it makes my eyes hurt. 

ETA: would literally be easier on all of us if they gave up the dumb-ass boxes and just zoomed together comfortably from their kitchen or something

Edited by neona
  • Love 4

Joe said this election will be the last competitive one due to demographic changes.

Joe said there are 9 Hispanic babies born in Texas for every white baby.

Does Joe think that it's a new thing to have a heavy Hispanic presence in Texas?  I grew up in Texas.  Even when I was growing up the population was more than 40 percent Hispanic. Where I grew up, half the radio stations are Spanish language and have been for 20 years.  But Joe just discovered it so it is a big trend.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

Does Joe think that it's a new thing to have a heavy Hispanic presence in Texas?  I grew up in Texas.  Even when I was growing up the population was more than 40 percent Hispanic. Where I grew up, half the radio stations are Spanish language and have been for 20 years.  But Joe just discovered it so it is a big trend.

Joe considers himself to be an expert in forecasting emerging political trends.

Joe always brags that he was one of the first kids in the deep south to attend desegregated schools. Joe said he knew as a young boy that desegregation would have an effect on the political trends in the southern states.

• LOL 5

Joe allowed Anand to appear on the show again.

Anand is worried about Trump winning the election. He called the current situation a cold civil war in the USA.

He thinks that voter suppression could help the Republicans.

Anand said the progressive wing of the Democratic party is not excited  about voting for Biden. They are tired of being lectured to by the DNC.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, neona said:

When the colors in the backdrop look good and easy on the eye, he's in FL. When they change to the migraine-inducing technicolor blue, like today, he's somewhere else (wherever it is Mika has been for the past few weeks). I notice it instantly because it makes my eyes hurt. 

ETA: would literally be easier on all of us if they gave up the dumb-ass boxes and just zoomed together comfortably from their kitchen or something

Yes, they are in Maine. You can tell when they are in Florida because their set backdrop has a red ‘Morning Joe’ sign. For the last few weeks, Joe has been bouncing back and forth between Florida and Maine (probably to spend time with his kids). For example, Joe had been in Florida all of this week, up until today. I think Mika has been in Maine for most of the summer. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, cased said:

Yes, they are in Maine. You can tell when they are in Florida because their set backdrop has a red ‘Morning Joe’ sign. For the last few weeks, Joe has been bouncing back and forth between Florida and Maine (probably to spend time with his kids). For example, Joe had been in Florida all of this week, up until today. I think Mika has been in Maine for most of the summer. 

Idk, I don't really care where they are, that's their business, they could broadcast from a coal quarry if they wanted, I just wish they would revert to relaxed and natural format with two anchors talking as humans rather than the hocus pocus fake screens.  It's like they're spending too much time overthinking it

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, neona said:

Idk, I don't really care where they are, that's their business, they could broadcast from a coal quarry if they wanted, I just wish they would revert to relaxed and natural format with two anchors talking as humans rather than the hocus pocus fake screens.  It's like they're spending too much time overthinking it

I agree. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, neona said:

Do you think Mika & Joe will ever agree to interview guests in person again ?

I think Joe loves having the option to go on several monologue rants during the show without any interruption.

Having guests in a live studio would detract from Joe's emotional speeches which have captivated viewers for 13 years.

• LOL 6

I agree about having some new guests (translation: new blood) on the show.  We are not hearing "Joe, you are so right" quite as often.  I like Jonathan Lemire but he almost always said this...and I don't need to see him every morning; lately he has been at the conventions so I don't mind so much when he is on.  I would hate to have him turn into another Barnicle.  And this week I have been really enjoying Willy; he runs things when Joe isn't there so there is more balance.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Ha!. I am re watching the West Wing & laughed at Governor Ritchie's line.

For the un-initiated, this is what we're talking about: 

Bartlett smoking his cigar and going WTF at 1.24 is all of us.

34 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I agree about having some new guests (translation: new blood) on the show.  We are not hearing "Joe, you are so right" quite as often.  I like Jonathan Lemire but he almost always said this...and I don't need to see him every morning; lately he has been at the conventions so I don't mind so much when he is on.  I would hate to have him turn into another Barnicle.  And this week I have been really enjoying Willy; he runs things when Joe isn't there so there is more balance.  

I like Lemire. He's calm and cute and relaxed and smart. His background plant has its own twitter account LMAO: https://twitter.com/LemirePlant

• Love 3
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Having guests in a live studio would detract from Joe's emotional speeches which have captivated viewers for 13 years.

Having guests in a live studio would detract from Joe's emotional speeches which have nauseated viewers for 13 years.

Fixed it for ya, Oakville

😘

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I'm a bit late catching up on things, but Joy Reid, Nicolle Wallace and Rachel Maddow yesterday AGAIN offered a masterclass on how to deal with the same (IMO) shitshow that Morning Joe was also trying to cover. They were upbeat, awake, razor-sharp, funny as hell, and serious when they needed to be. Rachel opened the show with a cute joke about social distancing and the wingspan of American Bald Eagles, which for good measure, SHE HAD RESEARCHED. 

The laughter was geniune, the transitions between humor and seriousness were flawless, as they need to be right now so we can all stay informed without wanting to kill ourselves. They were sitting six feet apart, but only the fact that they were in the same room permitted spontanous insights, natural give-and-takes. They took cues from each other as human beings and built on each others' arguments. 

There's no reason Joe and Mika can't put in the time and effort to do something similar. They're literally married, there's no reason they can't be in the same room and conduct a spontaneous, interesting conversation, rather than a format where one person is talking and the other is checking their phone. And they're smart, there's no reason they can't do research. Just take some goddamn pride in your work and step it up, FFS.

ETA: And they individually welcomed, thanked, acknowledged and appreciated their guests. Kindness matters, folks

Edited by neona
  • Love 8

Monday recap. Mika & Joe are back in Florida. You can see the red panel on the background. Joe is wearing a dark blue sweater & Mika is wearing a black striped top with a black cardigan.

Mika was happy that she could read numerous polls showing Trump's approval rating down to 31%. The Morning Consult poll showed Biden leading by 6% down from 10% on August 23.

Mika had trouble reading the words USC Dornsife. Biden was leading 53-41.

Joe was joking with Lemire about the Red Sox being in the World Series.

Joe's focus today is the approval ratings of Joe Biden. Joe is not happy with the media narrative of the "polls tightening".

Lemire said that Democrats should stop freaking out about polls.

• Love 4

Lemire said that Biden is winning, but has agreed to start campaigning outside his home. Lemire said that Biden may make a gaffe if he campaigns.

Al Sharpton discussed his march on Washington in Friday. There were several hundred thousand people there with no incidents.

Joe talked about Trump's twitter meltdown on Sunday.

Joe said that Trump had lower tv ratings than Joe Biden.

• Love 4

Joe showed several minutes of Biden clips of him condemning violence.

Joe made fun of Latte Liberals .

Joe said there are many lazy & dumb people that don't realize that Biden condemned the violence.

Joe said that Democrats are opposed to defunding the police. The Latte Liberals are wrong according to Joe.

• Love 3

Joe was upset at Senator Ron Johnson for not condemning a 17 year old who killed people in Kenosha. He kept calling it a tragedy which isn't good enough for Joe.

Joe said that 17 year olds should not be patrolling the streets with an AR 15. Mika said it was bad parenting.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Joe blamed Trump for the violence in America.

Ignatius said Biden has to do more to speak out about condemning the violence. Joe was upset because he showed clips of Biden condemning violence.

Mika said Trump made the virus worse.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Donny Deutshe said the Democrats should brand the riots as rump riots.

The key question for 2020 is are you safer now than you were 40 years ago.

Jeremy Peters said the RNC convention was trying to show that Trump isn't as bad as he is portrayed.

• Love 4

Shannon Pettypiece came on the show to discuss her Qanon question to President Trump.

The followers were excited that Trump opposes Satanic Cannibals.

There was a Quanon rally in Germany.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Dr Dave Campbell was a special guest. He said that people that don't wear masks are more likely to get the virus.

The show also had the Palm County DA who said that the 17 year old who killed 2 people can't claim self defense since he was the original aggressor.

• Love 3

Mika was excited that Nancy Pelosi will release Trump's tax returns if he loses the election.

Donny said the Trump organization will be Rico'd after he leaves office. Trump has revenue from money laundering.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Loved the Rev today. And Mika has also been good, more fluent insights today. Buuut she has two congresswomen on and her first words are "Rep Slotkin... *sigh*...I guess I'll start with you...". Oh man, it's so cringe. They used to be so welcoming and friendly, what happened. I don't think it's intentional, where are her producers

39 minutes ago, oakville said:

Shannon Pettypiece came on the show to discuss her Qanon question to President Trump.

The followers were excited that Trump opposes Satanic Cannibals.

There was a Quanon rally in Germany.

That shit was so terrifying. What on earth. 

• Love 3

I about fell over when Mika read copy her producers wrote about Chadwick Boseman. I had been wondering if they would even talk about him, I didn't watch much of the show but I turned it on when I was getting ready to leave for work. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say she had no idea who he was, which is fine. At least she didn't act all holier than thou about Black Panther being a Marvel movie.  

I saw the report on his death when I woke up Saturday morning and it just killed me.  I felt awful all day. 

• Love 3

Joe reappeared at 8 30 am. I thought he would comment on the death of Chadwick. I doubt Mika would watch a Marvel movie.

Mika doesn't think President Trump should go to Kenosha. He may make things worse. The Governor doesn't want him there.

Joe said people ask him if the military will keep Trump in power if he loses the election.

Mikie Sherrill served in the navy & said that she didn't think the military would not keep Trump in power.

• Love 2

Joe said all the Democratic party leaders he spoke with are opposed to looting & vandalism.

Joe said the overwhelming majority of the 25 million people marching for BLM did not loot or vandalize property.

Joe is upset that Trump is not happy with Biden's comments on violence.

Joe is obsessed with vandalism & looting today.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, oakville said:

I doubt Mika would watch a Marvel movie.

You'd think she would at least watch Capt America First Avenger. That's about the least Marvel like movie of all of them.  Plus Chris Evans. 

Joe sounded like he was wanting the two Congresswomen to take some pledge that they were against violence.  I imagine he thinks he's getting people on the record so he can show that Dems are against violence during peaceful protests (duh) but the way he interrogates them is ridiculous. Joe I hate to break it to you but you're preaching to the choir. This would be better served on Fox, so that people who believe Dems want to burn the country to the ground might get the word out that it's not true. You just come off like an asshole. 

You're denouncing violence right?? SAY IT!!!

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Jon Meacham came on the show to discus the passing of Julia Reed. She was a writer who was  friends with Meacham's wife & planned book launching parties for him. She went to Madera high school. Mika & her daughter went there. Meacham said that he was afraid of women who went to Madera & Mika started laughing.  Joe compared Mika to Barbara Bush.

They showed clips from her appearance on Morning Joe in 2013. Mika was wearing a sleeveless dress & Joe was wearing a navy blue blazer.

Harold Ford Jr was also on the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I about fell over when Mika read copy her producers wrote about Chadwick Boseman. I had been wondering if they would even talk about him, I didn't watch much of the show but I turned it on when I was getting ready to leave for work. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say she had no idea who he was, which is fine. At least she didn't act all holier than thou about Black Panther being a Marvel movie.  

I saw the report on his death when I woke up Saturday morning and it just killed me.  I felt awful all day. 

And she pronounced MAR ville and Mar velle.  Oh, Mika, never change.

Jon Meacham came on the show to discus the passing of Julia Reed. She was a writer who was  friends with Meacham's wife & planned book launching parties for him. She went to Madera high school. Mika & her daughter went there. Meacham said that he was afraid of women who went to Madera & Mika started laughing.  Joe compared Mika to Barbara Bush.

They showed clips from her appearance on Morning Joe in 2013. Mika was wearing a sleeveless dress & Joe was wearing a navy blue blazer.

Harold Ford Jr was also on the show.

The dress Mika wore in the clip was nice.  Appropriate for morning television.  Did she sell all those pretty clothes and replace them with black items?  Mika, I watch Rachel Maddow.  You are NO Rachel Maddow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Mika, I watch Rachel Maddow.  You are NO Rachel Maddow.

Let's be honest Mika makes Ron Burgundy look like Edward R Murrow. 

Stay Classy Juniper!! 

(it's a joke, Mika know diversity isn't an old wooden ship used in the Civil War) 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I have heard stories about the way Barbara Bush treated her staff, I would say Joe is not far off. 

I doubt they treat their staff badly. There have literally never been any rumors about that, and they generally seem very supportive and grateful of them. Usually when media people treat staff badly it comes out somehow

1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

I did not see the show today because I'm traveling and don't have cable.

I found a clip of Al and Joe on Twitter.  Joe is wearing the same sweater that he was wearing on Friday.  Is he pre-taping his segments or just wearing the same clothes from Friday?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/status/1300397266352693250

Nobody knows, Nittanycougar, WE'RE ALL STUCK IN A TIMELOOP, IN AN EDWARDIAN FUNERAL PARLOR. Aaaaaahhhh!

I'm guessing the return of Joe's dreadful sweater is like, I'm a genius so I'm intentionally not gonna brush my hair before the job interview, and I'll still get the job, because I'm a genius. I mean technically, yeah, that's probably true, but also, you could just brush your hair? Because that would generally be more pleasant for the people around you (ie  the millions of depressed humans who have just dragged themselves out of bed)? It's like those high class restaurants with excellent food where the waiters have decided to be intentionally rude because they think it's chic. Man, famous people confuse me.

Edited by neona
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

I did not see the show today because I'm traveling and don't have cable.

I found a clip of Al and Joe on Twitter.  Joe is wearing the same sweater that he was wearing on Friday.  Is he pre-taping his segments or just wearing the same clothes from Friday?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/status/1300397266352693250

Joe is wearing the same sweater that he wore on Friday. The Florida bunker's temperature needs to be adjusted. You shouldn't be wearing a sweater at the end of August in Jupiter Florida.

41 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

And she pronounced MAR ville and Mar velle.  Oh, Mika, never change.

The dress Mika wore in the clip was nice.  Appropriate for morning television.  Did she sell all those pretty clothes and replace them with black items?  Mika, I watch Rachel Maddow.  You are NO Rachel Maddow.

Andrea Mitchell & Stephanie Ruhle wear those dresses.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe is wearing the same sweater that he wore on Friday. The Florida bunker's temperature needs to be adjusted. You shouldn't be wearing a sweater at the end of August in Jupiter Florida.

Andrea Mitchell & Stephanie Ruhle wear those dresses.

Yeah but I don't think women in television should be required to wear those dresses, unless of course that is what they like and feel comfortable in. Both men and women should be allowed to dress comfortably at work, in accordance with how they feel and what they actually like. Buuut, as above, Edwardian funeral parlor timeloop is...a little exaggerated on mornings that are already depressing enough, and causes confusions on a visual medium, like Nittanycougar not being able to figure out what day a clip is from. That most definitely goes for BOTH men and women

• Love 1

I am done with this show. Joe Scarborough is a pompous, repetitive, blowhard. My husband and I often fast forward when Scarborough is on the screen (we are on Pacific Time and record the show), but today we listened to the endless introduction of Rev. Al, while Rev. Al listened patiently until Joe stopped. Then Rev. Al gave a concise, great explanation about looting and violence and how it hurts the cause, and Joe INTERRUPTED him, to repeat back what the Rev Al said, only in Joe's drawn out, repetitive, bombastic way. I yelled at the TV, Shut Up! Shut Up! Shut Up!, alarming my husband. How can anyone stand Joe Scarborough? I actually despise him, and I don't need any more tension in my life. I'll be back when Joe and Mika are gone. (Sorry for the rant.)

Edited by Kenz
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Kenz said:

I am done with this show. Joe Scarborough is a pompous, repetitive, blowhard. My husband and I often fast forward when Scarborough is on the screen (we are on Pacific Time and record the show), but today we listened to the endless introduction of Rev. Al, while Rev. Al listened patiently until Joe stopped. Then Rev. Al gave a concise, great explanation about looting and violence and how it hurts the cause, and Joe INTERRUPTED him, to repeat back what the Rev Al said, only in Joe's drawn out, repetitive bombastic way. I yelled at the TV, Shut Up! Shut Up! Shut Up!, alarming my husband. How can anyone stand Joe Scarborough? I actually despise him, and I don't need any more tension in my life. I'll be back when Joe and Mika are gone. (Sorry for the rant.)

I keep waiting for a guest to say, "Oh, is it my turn now?"  Who interrupts John Freakin' Meacham?  Who?  These two entitled bozos.  I may also be done.

• Love 4

My daughter,(who just started watch MJ a few weeks ago,) texted me out of thin air and said "I think Joe Scarborough is a very nice looking man."  "She followed it up with, " I think he's handsome, especially when he wears sweaters."

My daughter has vision that has been corrected to 20/20, and no discernable mental issues. She doesn't think his eyes are beedy and his hair too high. I told her I would post her comments here, and  that there are many fine posters on BOTH sides....

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kenz said:

I'll be back when Joe and Mika are gone. (Sorry for the rant.)

Amen.  

I'll watch for a few minutes and turn it off. Unless Willie is hosting by himself. Then I watch the whole show.  And at some point my sister texts me "OMG this show is so much better without them!!!". 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

My daughter,(who just started watch MJ a few weeks ago,) texted me out of thin air and said "I think Joe Scarborough is a very nice looking man."  "She followed it up with, " I think he's handsome, especially when he wears sweaters."

My daughter has vision that has been corrected to 20/20, and no discernable mental issues. She doesn't think his eyes are beedy and his hair too high. I told her I would post her comments here, and  that there are many fine posters on BOTH sides....

Maybe your daughter has not been exposed to Joe's douchebaggery as long as the rest of us. TBS, As Elle Wood said in "Legally Blonde" " he's not completely unfortunate looking". 

I think those of us who don't care for Joe's personality and his arrogant behavior translate that dislike onto his looks.   He's not going to be named People Magazine's  "Sexiest Man Alive" any time soon.   Former winners include Clooney, Brad, BCoop and Idris "I am aware of the effect I have on women" Elba. 

Talk about Freudian Slip:   I had to correct that next to last sentence, I had typed "sexist man".  Which is a contest I believe Joe would win! 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2020 at 8:56 PM, Kemper said:

Get outta here!  Remember his very public affair, the Walking The Trail - and then his wife trashing him all over the press and tv?  And a ...hush...Conservative!  What is there not for Joe to like?  Seriously...did he really say he thought Sanford would be a credible candidate?  Actually, this sounds just like something Joe would spout off about.  Birds of a feather.    

Sanford DID challenge Trump for the nomination for one hot second. His "campaign" fizzled when he admitted that if he didn't win the nomination he'd still vote for Trump. Not exactly rock-solid in his "conservative" convictions I guess.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Sanford DID challenge Trump for the nomination for one hot second. His "campaign" fizzled when he admitted that if he didn't win the nomination he'd still vote for Trump. Not exactly rock-solid in his "conservative" convictions I guess.

Aah hypocrites.  

• Love 2

In response to our discussions on Meeka's clothing choices.  Yes, she should be comfortable; but also professional.  There is no way she looks like a professional news/anchor in those depressing, ill-fitting tops.  The show used to have a coffee-group feel with everyone sitting around the desk; then it regressed into the Brady Bunch squares...maybe around the time they moved to Florida.  I think CNN now has both morning anchors in the studio; not sure.  I know we are in the middle of a pandemic but this show has been insulated longer than we have had the pandemic, I think.

But between Joe's frat-boy behavior and rants, Meeka's in-over-her-head personna and everyone being Zoomed in, the show is sometimes a disaster, albeit an interesting one - like gawking at a car accident. 

• Love 4