Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

I love ya, HD, but I have to agree with the others here -- give any CFD a rest for at least half a season.

Love ya too, but since I am a Mison fan and by extension, a Crane fan, I'll be all by my lonesome in the corner rooting for Mison. For the record, when the show started, I really was looking forward to the flashbacks for Crane, as a historical nut. So totally disappointed in yet another lost opportunity/mess on up that.

And since season 2 was bogged down by making everything all about Crane's past.

I really lean toward the fact that everything was about Crane's past with the K-wife. Nothing else but that. We never saw anything else about Crane - just the wife, him and wife, finance, him and wife, wife's former fiance, wife, wife, wife. The only stand-alone Crane past we knew about was the Purgatory/Dad vision, and Tempus Fugit, which was awesome.

Regarding the promos, honestly, knowing now that Bones also has little/no promo (David Boreanaz was slamming FOX on twitter for this), and knowing that the show was really renewed because of foreign market money-making success, this is the last year for SH. It's also the last year for Bones. The network knows for sure it won't renew SH for season 4, and Bones is done, so FOX is essentially saving some cash, or funneling it straight towards Empire and their other shows. Bones and SH can run one more year, make a little bit of money, and FOX will have a replacement next year, plus all of their other successful shows.

If people come back, great. If they don't, it doesn't matter to FOX, since they got the money they wanted out of the show. Maybe a back to 2.0 demo will happen (miracle), but otherwise, this is it for the show. Hence no promo's yet. FOX doesn't care/economics.

Another sign - for me - the Canadian network affiliate who used to show SH (CTV) dropped the show from it's regular showing. Instead, it's going to be airing on CTV 2, which is not on of the prominent channels on our Rogers Cable provider. So I was in a panic thinking I won't even GET the show now. After looking around, I think I will, but it's not listed with the other main shows. For the main cable feed of CTV, Heroes is listed instead. *cries* It's just another sign of the "end".

• Love 4

Love ya too, but since I am a Mison fan and by extension, a Crane fan, I'll be all by my lonesome in the corner rooting for Mison. For the record, when the show started, I really was looking forward to the flashbacks for Crane, as a historical nut. So totally disappointed in yet another lost opportunity/mess on up that.

You're not alone, Halcyon Days. I love Mison. He's great (and hot). It's not that I don't want to watch him. I just prefer to watch him in the present day. I also love Abbie but loving Abbie doesn't mean I don't like Crane. Most of all, I love watching them together. My favorite thing is watching Crane navigate through this new world with Abbie guiding him (and affectionately laughing at him). I hate that we're fast forwarding through so much of that.

As for historical stuff, I prefer getting that from Turn. It's a bit more accurate. Plus, Jamie Bell is awesome (and hot).

• Love 2

Since we're talking about Turn... Can JJ Feild guest star and show what sexy really is? *fans self* TPTB in Sleepy Hollow have the annoying habit of sexing up the historical women, but the men remain old and ugly. Watching Turn is such a palate cleanser in that regard!

• Love 2

Since we're talking about Turn... Can JJ Feild guest star and show what sexy really is? *fans self* TPTB in Sleepy Hollow have the annoying habit of sexing up the historical women, but the men remain old and ugly. Watching Turn is such a palate cleanser in that regard!

Respectfully, but SAY WUT? Crane is chronologically old (200 going on 35) in the show but he sure as hell isn't ugly.  Joe Corbin, John Cho pre decomposing status, Seamus, Hawley, Luke. NotHeadless!Headless, Victor Garber. Those are some sexy good looking men no matter what age!

Edited by catrox14

Respectfully, but SAY WUT? Crane is chronologically old (200 going on 35) in the show but he sure as hell isn't ugly.  Joe Corbin, John Cho pre decomposing status, Seamus, Hawley, Luke. NotHeadless!Headless, Victor Garber. Those are some sexy good looking men no matter what age!

You have a point with John Cho and Luke, but the rest... Oof! Abraham could have been hot, but he insisted on wearing that wig and ruined everything. Anyway, I'm talking about historical characters, not fictional. Abigail Adams and Betsy Ross were historical figures, who have been sexed up in the show, while the historical men remained old and ugly. 

• Love 1

To be fair, it's kind of difficult to sex up Benjamin Franklin :D 

From everything I've read, it was actually pretty easy...

I guess the reason I have way less of a problem with Crane's dad than I did with his wife is that I really enjoy watching Abby challenge Ichabod's essentially conservative assumptions about the world - not that he's not remarkably progressive for 250, but still - while his dad was the actual conservative he was rebelling against. I think that's why Katrina didn't work for me. She was essentially there to get him to turn back and be that guy again.

• Love 3

Change of subject....

Sleepy Hollowers has a trailer showing the flag but, instead of stars, it shows a pentagram being stitched. Um, er, ah, the pentagram is upside down. If this is deliberate, ol' Bets isn't on the, um, good side.

You're not alone, Halcyon Days. I love Mison. He's great (and hot). It's not that I don't want to watch him. I just prefer to watch him in the present day. I also love Abbie but loving Abbie doesn't mean I don't like Crane. Most of all, I love watching them together. My favorite thing is watching Crane navigate through this new world with Abbie guiding him (and affectionately laughing at him). I hate that we're fast forwarding through so much of that.

As for historical stuff, I prefer getting that from Turn. It's a bit more accurate. Plus, Jamie Bell is awesome (and hot).

Thank you for this, cynic, and the bolded especially. I love both actors, but hey, but think the Brit is hot (and has a great personality), so there's that edge to him. Are you on the TURN threads here? I forget if I've seen you over there.

Have you read the book that the show is based on. If not, then no, it's not historical accurate, but does depict the time well. Lots of it is very different from the book and lots of historical liberaties are taken. It's a good read, if you haven't.

I agree about JJ Feild, but what about Seth Numrich?? Hello??

Sleepy Hollowers has a trailer showing the flag but, instead of stars, it shows a pentagram being stitched. Um, er, ah, the pentagram is upside down. If this is deliberate, ol' Bets isn't on the, um, good side.

The goofy thing is that to me, pentagrams indicate magic, which then makes me think witch, so that worries me. In any other cases, this would be okay. But now any witch is tainted - like I fully assume that the show will drop all characters and mentions of witches, because of S2.

• Love 1

The goofy thing is that to me, pentagrams indicate magic, which then makes me think witch, so that worries me. In any other cases, this would be okay. But now any witch is tainted - like I fully assume that the show will drop all characters and mentions of witches, because of S2.

Pentagrams do indicate magic. Right side up is a person, (head, arms and legs like Vitruvian Man) and is white magic. Upside down is a horned goat (or demon) head and black magic.

Witches are alleged to use both kinds. Also, Satanists are reported to use black. In this case, since we are still sort of dealing with Revelations and the Apocalypse, I'd guess Satanism or demon worship. I could be wrong, but I don't think CC & Company are stupid enough to bring witches back into the mix.

Edited by DJG1122

Yeah, I'm gonna guess that the pentagram is more to allude to demons and other supernatural evil, rather than being a direct reference to witches. At least I hope so. I could really do without witches for a while oh this show.

Thank you for this, cynic, and the bolded especially. I love both actors, but hey, but think the Brit is hot (and has a great personality), so there's that edge to him. Are you on the TURN threads here? I forget if I've seen you over there.

Have you read the book that the show is based on. If not, then no, it's not historical accurate, but does depict the time well. Lots of it is very different from the book and lots of historical liberaties are taken. It's a good read, if you haven't.

I agree about JJ Feild, but what about Seth Numrich?? Hello??

No, I haven't been on the Turn forum. I watch far too much tv, so I try to limit the boards I visit, otherwise I'd be on my computer all day! I do have the book in my kindle waiting to be read. It's disappointing to hear that the show differs so much from the historical record. I don't know enough about that time period to spot the errors in it though. Heck, I don't know enough to spot the discrepancies in Sleepy Hollow! Edited by cynic
No, I haven't been on the Turn forum. I watch far too much tv, so I try to limit the boards I visit, otherwise I'd be on my computer all day! I do have the book in my kindle waiting to be read. It's disappointing to hear that the show differs so much from the historical record. I don't know enough about that time period to spot the errors in it though. Heck, I don't know enough to spot the discrepancies in Sleepy Hollow!

Hee. I here ya - these forums here do allow one to waste lots of time reading and analyzing and commenting. Read the book though - it's quite interesting and enjoyable.

I scrolled through the last few pages of the thread to see if anyone posted, but didn't see it, so....

Episode 3.02 - Whispers in the Dark - Press Release.

Episode 3.03 - Blood and Fear Press Release.

I'm dying for the full episode synopses though, which give some real detail....

WARNING

There may be some things some of you consider spoilers, for that reason, you may not want to read my review. I believe I have posted nothing that hasn't been told to us already, but you never know.

http://brownsista.com/i-witness-a-sleepy-hollow-season-3-review/

Hmm...Well, I'm gonna still watch live (yes!) wine in hand (yes!), hoping the episode grabs me and makes me smile, or at least entertains me.

When Gotham ended last season I think I remember my post in the Gotham episode thread being something like "What the hell was that??"

But I watched the season 2 opener this past Monday and it was really good. Some things had changed, the motivations of characters changed or the character themselves were slightly different, but it was really good - so I'll adopt the same attitude for SH. *crossesfingers*

• Love 1

Someone on Twitter I believe called my review "not reliable." When I asked them if they were talking about mine, they didn't respond. There is another reviewer that gave glowing remarks, but did not touch on "the moment" that I know is bothering fans. I made an audio review to fans being upset that you can listen to here on Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/brownsista/response-to-my-sleepy-hollow-review

Here also is the other review which is very glowing: http://rheartnetwork.blogspot.com/2015/09/sneak-peek-sleepy-hollow-i-witnessfans.html

Interesting deleted scene where Ichabod and Abbie discuss "shipping".

http://tvinsider.tumblr.com/post/128792923291/abbie-icabod-have-an-interesting-conversation

And I just saw the gag reel - really good stuff! There is one scene from the succubus episode I think, where Ichabod, Abbie and Jenny are all driving in a car and Jenny laughs. Abbie asks what's funny and Crane says nothing or something like that... and then looks over at Abbie and says, "Now kiss me..." in a really sexy bedroom voice.

Tom is such an Ichabbie shipper, lol.

• Love 1

Someone on Twitter I believe called my review "not reliable." When I asked them if they were talking about mine, they didn't respond. There is another reviewer that gave glowing remarks, but did not touch on "the moment" that I know is bothering fans. I made an audio review to fans being upset that you can listen to here on Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/brownsista/response-to-my-sleepy-hollow-review

Here also is the other review which is very glowing: http://rheartnetwork.blogspot.com/2015/09/sneak-peek-sleepy-hollow-i-witnessfans.html

I skimmed the "glowing" review and honestly I thought she downplayed the SBR stuff too much. I'm going to look at her previous posts to look for any biases - because she seemed to accept the SBR story without much thought.

This SAME reviewer also had a glowing review for Deliverance. http://www.examiner.com/article/tv-preview-sleepy-hollow-s-deliverance-a-turning-point-and-test

I'll just go drink some tea now and wait for the other reviewers - right now, I trust brownsista's take (even if I might have a slightly more positive spin - but she was right all last season).

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1

Yeah, lol. It's the same one we've been discussing - and btw, this reviewer (as I said above) also gave glowing reviews of Deliverance.

That hurts her credibility to me.

Really? *shudders* Okay, credibility lost. Damn you!! *shakesangryfist*

Really? *shudders* Okay, credibility lost. Damn you!! *shakesangryfist*

LOL!

I am going to just wait and see what happens. If they don't marginalize Abbie and I get enough goodness with her and Ichabod without drowning us in Crane drama or even Abbie drama, then cool.

I'm trying to adjust my expectations about Ichabbie. It just chaps my hide that it feels like they won't even consider it.

My fear is that the only thing they learned is that the fans love kick ass women characters on this show. So it feels like they are trying to do Katrina 2.0 mixed with Abbie/Jenny kick-ass-ness in order to do what they tried to do last year. The whole Mr. and Mrs. Smith thing really bothers me.

One positive thing is that SBR is only in one scene in the premiere: https://twitter.com/SleepyAddicts/status/646969544670507008

Edited by phoenics

Ten minutes into the episode there is a death, the introduction of new bad person, Abbie hitting a guy in the face with a garbage can top and maybe eventually going to get Ichabod.

I skimmed the "glowing" review and honestly I thought she downplayed the SBR stuff too much. I'm going to look at her previous posts to look for any biases - because she seemed to accept the SBR story without much thought.

This SAME reviewer also had a glowing review for Deliverance. http://www.examiner.com/article/tv-preview-sleepy-hollow-s-deliverance-a-turning-point-and-test

I'll just go drink some tea now and wait for the other reviewers - right now, I trust brownsista's take (even if I might have a slightly more positive spin - but she was right all last season).

Let me just add again that this is not a terrible episode. To me it was just blah. It didn’t blow me away like This is War. It had great moments, mostly Ichabod’s jokes. He is on the money this episode and I honestly think that is what people are reacting to.

But the gist of this episode is this: Ichabod finds something and needs Abbie’s help figuring it out. Betsy’s clues help them along the way. There is an evil demon that has been conjured up by the new big bad and Abbie shows up at the end to save Ichabod.

By the way, I think the episode is going to leak. There are screenshots of the entire episode and Betsy and Ichabod having their moment is already made its way to Twitter. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPr4R3kWsAA_waC.jpg

Edited by OnceSane
added spoiler tags

Okay...c'mon, you can't say this isn't a brilliant promo!! The music, the *ahem* shot of Crane in Abbie's laundry room, etc etc...

First Promo

I'm coming off HTGAWM and it's awesomeness - I'm jazzed, man.

But honestly, this promo was FUN. This is what I expect. This is the fun crazy show I want to see. I have good feelings on this...

I should add this - Kim Roots (TVLine) was another person quite critical of season 2. Here is her quick tweet on viewing S03:E01.

I'm just saying man, give it a shot....

• Love 4

Sleepy Hollow - Season 3 - Cast Promotional Photos

Abbie looks cute and pissed off for some reason.

Joe looks... okay, I guess.

Daniel looks like "What did you just say? "

Pandora looks intriguing, but all that black doesn't bode well for my wish for a villain without a Tragic Past .

Sexy!Smart!Betsy! The good: she shows more life and personality in one photo that Katrina in 2 seasons. The bad: everything else. It shows what kind of audience they really want.

Ichy looks deranged and not in a cute way.

Jenny looks disdainful.

Edited by Indi
  • Love 1

Yeah, I see what they mean about the chemistry being off.

Really?! I thought it was the most blatantly shippy promo I've seen for this show yet. Ichabod holding Abbie's undies? Him saying she's his partner and Jenny going "mmmm hmmm" and Abbie smirking at him?

Flirtation all around you guys!

Man - chemistry is totally subjective.

What I found different was the music - it clearly seems like they are trying to sex the show up a bit....

That promo made me happy? I don't understand the "chemistry is off" comments, and I always thought I was an excellent judge of chemistry.

~\_O_/~

• Love 8

Either that promo is off or I'm more delusional than I thought. That didn't excite, move or entice me. If i werent already invested, that promo wouldn't makeep me want to watch. Season one promo made me think, I got to see what is going on.

Sexy swashbuckling BR...I have no words.

They won't us to be patient and I'm almost ready to oblige by recording the first couple of eps and seeing how things shake out before I watch anything. I'm tired of show runners and their fuckery.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 3

Goodness, those colonial ladies sure did like to wear their foundation garments as their only garments, didn't they? Plus, I guess Ichabod's 250 years being buried made him forget that he knew women who wore trousers given how non-plussed (if that's the right word) he was about Abby's pants when he first arrived in the 21st century. But maybe it was acceptable attire for sexy, pirate, spy flag-makers of the time.

• Love 7

The promo seemed a bit off to me too, but like Catrox14, I disliked the music choice so maybe I would like it better with a different piece. I just think back to how perfectly Sympathy for the Devil fit with the feel of the pilot and this just feels more like music from a show on the CW.

• Love 3

Betsy looks fucking ridiculous. They really need the original costumer back, I'm sure she could have come up with something that referenced the period and looked sexy without also producing snickers. Why does kick-ass always have to mean tight pants? 

• Love 3

eally?! I thought it was the most blatantly shippy promo I've seen for this show yet. Ichabod holding Abbie's undies? Him saying she's his partner and Jenny going "mmmm hmmm" and Abbie smirking at him?

I didn't think those were Abbie's panties at all. I took it that Abbie and Jenny discover that Betsy is the partner Ichabod was referring to which is why they were sideeying him playfully. But to be fair I watched the promo once so I could be wrong.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

The promo seemed a bit off to me too, but like Catrox14, I disliked the music choice so maybe I would like it better with a different piece. I just think back to how perfectly Sympathy for the Devil fit with the feel of the pilot and this just feels more like music from a show on the CW.

Hey now! Don't put this on the CW! (Sorry, two of my favorite shows are the CW so I get a little defensive). 

At least with the CW shows 95% of the time the music cues fit with the shows. In the case of Supernatural they use classic rock 99.9% of the time and their own score. Arrow uses it's own score most of the time. And it works. The promo monkeys at the CW is a whole other kettle of dumb fish. Those never mesh. And the promos are mostly useless and over spoilery. But I digress..

IMO Fox's music choice here was just totally generic and just doesn't mesh with SH at all. Why not use something spooky or creepy? How hard would it have been for them to use a snippet of their own wonderful score for the promo and would have pinged our fond nostalgia for s1.  They better not drop the opening score, or that may be the last straw for me!  

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Heh, Sorry, Catrox! I watch the CW too and I think it's had quite a few great shows that it doesn't get enough credit for. I just think that sometimes it has a tendency to go for trendy new music to draw in the youngsters and allow them to crossmarket with ads at the end of the episodes promoting various bands.

You're right though, Supernatural has fantastic music as do many other shows they have. Some of them though....

I just saw the Bones/SH combined teaser and it uses the same song. I guess that's why it sounds so generic, because it is. It's not specific to SH, it'll be used for many other promos. I wish SH had gotten its own music, but at least this alleviates some of my fear that the music choice was indicative of a change in the show's tone.

• Love 4

Really?! I thought it was the most blatantly shippy promo I've seen for this show yet. Ichabod holding Abbie's undies? Him saying she's his partner and Jenny going "mmmm hmmm" and Abbie smirking at him?

Completely forced, sorry. I understand that shippers want to see that, but the show is trying too hard. It doesn't feel natural with the history they shared and it's definitely not earned. Just because they want to handwave a season and a half, instead of fixing and moving on, it doesn't mean it works.

To be fair, I think it's the DELUXE sexy pirate costume. It's better quality fabric and comes with the boots.

Deluxe? Sleepy Hollow doesn't have the budget. She looks like a dollar store Elizabeth Swann.

• Love 1