Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison did not attend (some spoilery teases) - during the panel, Tom responds via text to Zach's fake British accented-reading of his message...

NYCC 2015 - Sleepy Hollow Panel, Part 1

NYCC 2015 - Sleepy Hollow Panel, Part 2

Edited by tv echo

Someone live tweeted the NYCC panel. Here are the tweets.

Okay, they explained why BR was without a dress. Makes sense TBH.

But having to explain outside the show itself is idiotic.  Either explain it right away or let it hang for a bit letting the audience (and Crane) think there was a more lacivious explanation. 

• Love 1

But having to explain outside the show itself is idiotic.  Either explain it right away or let it hang for a bit letting the audience (and Crane) think there was a more lacivious explanation. 

This kind of thing is what I was worried about when they said they were taking advice from the showrunners of Bones. It's show, don't tell, not neither show nor tell, explain on twitter. Thirteen year old fangirls writing Mary Sue fic know that if it's not onscreen, it's not canon.

• Love 1

Holy Moly - the sleepyhollowfox instagram is getting LIT UP by angry fans after they (stupidly) posted this: https://instagram.com/p/8wTom1FodB/?taken-by=sleepyhollowfox

I know they mean "soulmate" by their post, but it is still REALLY offensive to Nicole Beharie. Why? Why use "leading lady" in your question to mean "soulmate?" Don't use that and then pit Abbie against two other women. Both of whom are DEAD. No. NO!

Whoever created that instagram post is such an idiot.

Besides that - they BETTER follow it up with "Who should be Abbie's leading man?" if they don't delete that trash.

WTH? Seriously? The showrunners need to go throttle the Fox publicity goons. They are not helping their cause. Abbie (with Ichabod) is the lead. She's not his leading lady. She's a lead full stop, a lead in her own right regardless of her relationship with Ichabod. Crane's romantic entanglements have no effect on the fact that it's Mison and Beharie's show. And yes. I get what they mean too, but the phrasing and the connotation irritates me to no end, especially since the show is trying to rectify an entire season of sidelining Abbie.

On a side note, whoever posted that clearly hates Katrina. Regardless of my feelings about the character or the actress's skills, Winter is an attractive woman. The pic they used makes her look like she's just about to offer Snow White an apple or push some kids into an oven. Not gonna lie, I chuckled a bit.

• Love 4

I don't think the showrunners are trolling. The Fox promo monkeys probably just know that asking about Sleepy Hollow and romance = instant clickbait. They're not worried about word implications even if the showrunners are.

• Love 1

? I don't follow.

Are you saying SH PTB are trolling? Or what?

Yep, I really really am. After the last season, after actually firing the showrunner who gifted us with Katrina to stop the bleeding, and after the summer they had of social media explosions over SBR, the only reason to post that is if they believe negative internet discussion is good publicity.

• Love 2

Ah, I get it. I don't know though. I could believe that about Fox publicity monkeys, but a poster on another board said that she was told the social media accounts are run by an assistant of the writers. It seems like they should know better than to troll this way. Then again, it seems like they should know better than to foist another crap actress in a trope-filled role on us and yet they still seem pretty invested in Sexy Betsy so who knows.

• Love 4

It depends on who is creating the content for Fox's social media. I am inclined to agree with MissDee.  This feels like some media person's idea of what creates clickbait.  Also note it was posted on Instagram, not Twitter or Facebook.  That leads me to believe there is a distinct strategy between the three social media platforms for the show or at least different people posting to those platforms.   Also Fox publicity doesn't feel cohesive.  The social media for shows like Empire and Scream Queens, feels more plugged in to show and the audience than SH does.  It is possible that the Fox social media is outsourced, possibly to a media company that specializes in that & SH just may have gotten a less competent project leader.

• Love 4

Yeah though not a complete idiot, out of all the shots they could have chosen of Katrina they picked that one? That fugly thing? Katia is quite pretty in her barbie-world way, but they still managed to find a picture that was remarkably unflatterering; one in which she looks plain, is wearing a sack and appears to be a few bricks short of a load.

Terrible choice of words, soulmate, partner, even goopy tripe like lady love would have been better. I agree with the clickbait idea others have mentioned.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 1

Holy Moly - the sleepyhollowfox instagram is getting LIT UP by angry fans after they (stupidly) posted this: https://instagram.com/p/8wTom1FodB/?taken-by=sleepyhollowfox

I know they mean "soulmate" by their post, but it is still REALLY offensive to Nicole Beharie. Why? Why use "leading lady" in your question to mean "soulmate?" Don't use that and then pit Abbie against two other women. Both of whom are DEAD. No. NO!

Besides that - they BETTER follow it up with "Who should be Abbie's leading man?" if they don't delete that trash.

Do they? That's the same logic as translating 'years' and 'tribulations' as the same word. Come on. At  least say meant to be or something. Is everyone whose job revolves around writing astoundingly bad at vocabulary and writing? I don't get it. How do you go from soulmate to leading lady when there is already a leading lady regardless of how Ichabod feels about her? Does that person watch the show? Gosh, it makes me want to facepalm.

Yeah, their tone-deafness makes me believe they don't realise how bad this comes across.

On a side note, whoever posted that clearly hates Katrina. Regardless of my feelings about the character or the actress's skills, Winter is an attractive woman. The pic they used makes her look like she's just about to offer Snow White an apple or push some kids into an oven. Not gonna lie, I chuckled a bit.

Oh my god, that was my first thought!

• Love 2

Deep sigh, I've come to the conclusion that TPTB for this show are tone deaf idiots. It's a safety mechanism. It's the only way for me not to lose my shit everytime they post, tweet, instagram or have interview that is tone deaf. IMO, they are constantly out of step with a large contingent of the audience.

This show could be used as an example of what not to do with a show and how PR can work against you.

If they haven't learned by now, then it's a lost cause.

Huh, so apparently it was announced at NYCC that John Noble and Orlando Jones would be in attendance. Don't know what the snafu was, but JN and OJ were not there and weren't asked to attend. That must of been very disappointing to the fans that waited in line, especially considering Mison's last minute drop out and the fact that they spent 45 minutes of the one hour panel showing an episode that aired the previous week instead of showing a sizzle reel or bloopers or giving more time for questions. Lame. Sometimes it feels like the powers that be aren't  even trying to champion the show.

https://twitter.com/thejohnnoble/status/653331558544330752

In other NYCC news, here are a couple of interviews from the weekend. The first is with Raven Metzner by himself. The second is with Metzner, Lyndie, Nikki, and Zach. Interestingly enough, Betsy was a character that was thought up last season as a one-off and they decided to save her for this season so they could give her more time and really delve into her character. RME And Nikki again calls her the ultimate woman. I'm just not as enamored with this character as they seem to be. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/13/sleepy-hollow-bones-crossover-nycc

And lastly, CarterMatt asks if Season 3 is the year for Ichabbie (short article with a poll).

http://cartermatt.com/182716/shiptober-is-sleepy-hollow-season-3-the-year-for-ichabod-and-abbie/

Edited by cynic

RME And Nikki again calls her the ultimate woman. 

I don't even know what they mean by "ultimate woman." Her heaving bosoms? Her mad spy skillz? Her "sassy" talk? What is it about this character that makes her "ultimate"? What makes her "ultimate" as opposed to Abbie or Jenny or Katrina (or me, for that matter)? I'm honestly confused. There's nothing in her characterization that makes her stand out as a woman - or human being, generally - to me. 

I feel like it's the same issue they had last year with Katrina and all of the "She's a 'powerful' witch" talk. They said it and said it and said it, but it didn't show up on screen until the last couple of episodes. 

Show, don't tell, writers!

• Love 3

Interestingly enough, Betsy was a character that was thought up last season as a one-off and they decided to save her for this season so they could give her more time and really delve into her character.

I have yet to see any delving.  That's one of the problems with the character, IMO--she pops up for a couple of minutes in each episode with some inexplicable action and dialogue, and I still don't know why the hell she's even there at all.

• Love 3

I think they are trying to attract the male 18-49 demo, and apparently, market research shows that demo shows up for sassy females, scantily clad, whose boobs are up to their neck.  Also, apparently, the definition of ultimate in this case is the demo's definition, which is usually determined by the lowest common denominator. 

Said definition is, apparently: a woman who can "fight" while wearing only her tight, colonial underwear and who speaks in double meaning with the male lead (usually filled with sexual innuendo).

I don't particularly like the character, and I haven't seen the actress in anything else before, but she's doing a horrible job in this role.  Better than Winters, but still very bad.  Sadly, though, I think the fact that the 18-49 male demo shows up for shows with characters like SH's Betsy Ross, Fox is only attempting to do something that has worked for others before.

I don't think she'll be a serious obstacle for Ichabbie's partnership or potential love relationship, but I do think the network is betting on this character to bring the coveted demo, and if she doesn't, we may not get another season.

• Love 2

It does seem unlikely, but maybe people figured since both actors were at the event anyway, they would make a special appearance. Stranger things have happened at cons. 

I personally would be more irritated that I gave up much of my day to get into that panel and they wasted most of it showing a rerun and then gave out hardly any new info, especially since Mison, Beharie, and the new showrunner weren't in attendance. They could've at least showed some video extras.

And short NYCC interviews with Lyndie and Nikki (and a frankly terrible interviewer).

Edited by cynic

Why on earth would anybody believe 2 people not on a show be on the panel for the show?

I am glad I am not the only one mystified by that. I know it happens sometimes, but unless NYCC themselves announced them as guest for SH, it's a weird thing to bank on. If NYCC did make it seem like they were coming for SH though, then screw them.

It was! Crazy as it sounds, they announced Orlando Jones and John Noble as part of the panel *at the panel* before showing the episode. The NYCC app had even been updated listing them as part of the panel.

Clearly an error on NYCC's part.

• Love 1

Check out Abbie looking super cute and super sexy in the Halloween episode of Sleepy Hollow.

Abbie Mills Like You've Never Seen Her Before - Brown Sista

I haven't watched the whole episode yet, I may post a real review later.

I love the way this episode started out and then that dumb girl who's supposed to be Crane's love interest came into the scene and that killed it for me. Anything having to do with Crane's love life where Abbie is egging him on is something I don't wanna see and the show doesn't need.

Fuckin' stop already.

I was way off. I thought Abbie was Pepa from the 80's rap group Salt n' Pepa, turns out she's dressed as Beyonce from her "Flawless" video.

The only one I recognized was Jenny. Still don't know who or what Joe is suppose to be.

Here is a comparison pic of Abbie and Beyonce. You see Abbie standing up.

http://brownsista.com/abbie-mills-like-youve-never-seen-her-before/abbie-mills-channels-beyonce-flawless-video/#main

Still don't know who or what Joe is suppose to be.

Joe is dressed in scrubs that are covered in blood. He's either a Zombie doctor (can't tell from the face, if he's wearing zombie makeup), or just a surgeon who performed some bloody surgery. I like it, because he's supposed to be an EMT, so easy costume for that character.

I'm very curious to what Crane shows up in. I have a feeling he'd just be in his full Rev War uniform, but I'd love to see him as a 1930's gangster, but I would get a kick out of a costume spin for him. Everyone wears "normal" clothing and dresses up for Halloween. His "costume" could be wearing simply jeans, T-shirt and regular shoes/boots.

I'd love to know if the actors got to choose their costumes.

ETA: ScreenSpy: Six Things to Know about Bones/SH X-over - The Resurrection in the Remains

Interesting.... :')

HalcyonDays, is that a happy crying face or a wink? :)

It's a happy face, but not crying (in joy, or tears), or winking. Just a  - yeah, it sounds like the episode will be decent.

I get the feeling they all got to chose their costumes.

Not sure Mison would pick that, but Crane would. Too bad - I had hopes for something else...different. But keeps in character.

By the way, if you are into spoilers, and really wanna see what Crane is wearing, my shipper review of the episode shows him, though he is bending over. Still, if you're interested, here is the HQ image: http://brownsista.co...loads/ICHOE.png

Thanks for the photo, Blackhoney!  Is that Historical Society lady with him, dressed as a sexy Little Bo Peep?  And if so, WTH?  Did they get a 2-for-1 at Party City when they picked up Busty's wardrobe? *smh*

Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 1

ScreenSpy: Six Things to Know About Sleepy Hollow's Bones X-Over episode: Dead Men Tell no Tales.

No, not a double or repeat post - this link referres to the actual SH episode itself.

Hmm...Very interesting.... *grin*

ETA: Very Interesting and long Salon Article about SH - Very focused on Nicole Beharie.

Ichabod and Abbie still haven’t kissed: The best work marriage since Mulder and Scully is back on “Sleepy Hollow”

• Love 1

Oh, ack, ptui. Nikki Reed on her unique view of historical accuracy and how SBR is way cooler and more feminist than the lame real live woman she's based on was.

It's cool. It's cool to be a part of something that actually educates and incorporates true, historical facts. The accuracy is just... I mean, the writers really care about this. Their research, their ability to kind of combine the supernatural world with the present with this huge chunk of history is... It's something that I love being a part of. I love the message behind that. And also, clearly, we did not stick with the Betsy Ross, who is, like, sitting in a rocking chair, sewing an American flag, sad to say. But, she's a lot of fun to play, and I try to play characters that I hope I can contribute something to, but, also, that I can take something from. So I go to sleep at night, feeling like I've taken a little bit of Betsy home with me, and I think that is kind of a great thing. Betsy sort of feels like the ultimate woman sometimes. I mean, maybe not necessarily in what's aired so far... But for that time period, to be that kind of woman and to have that kind of confidence and that fearlessness and that kind of ability to be independent in that way, I think that's really cool.

Which, hey, sure, she ran a business and raised seven children, and her own family doubts that she sewed the flag, but did she wear skinny jeans and have breasts sprouting out of her collar bones? I don't think so. 

It appears that Ms. Reed is still firmly planted in the denial stage of Playing Katrina syndrome. Hopefully someone who was around last season will explain all the reasons anger isn't going to go well and she'll hop straight to bargaining.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7

Oh, wow that was in bad taste, Nikki Reed. Really, dismissing the real life inspiration for your character? And what research is she talking about!? She can't even not use modern turns of phrase...She needs to stop.

The shade towards Zoe in that article is hilarious! 

And I am disappointed for Nicole that she didn't get a mermaid costume, lol. I think if it was the cast's choice, that would've been her go to.

• Love 1

Oh, ack, ptui. Nikki Reed on her unique view of historical accuracy and how SBR is way cooler and more feminist than the lame real live woman she's based on was.

Which, hey, sure, she ran a business and raised seven children, and her own family doubts that she sewed the flag, but did she wear skinny jeans and have breasts sprouting out of her collar bones? I don't think so. 

It appears that Ms. Reed is still firmly planted in the denial stage of Playing Katrina syndrome. Hopefully someone who was around last season will explain all the reasons anger isn't going to go well and she'll hop straight to bargaining.

Good grief, she is displaying her ignorance in spades.  Someone needs to clue Nikki Reed into the fact that history does not consist of factoids in isolation, disconnected from events.  This show loves their factoids, and that makes it fun, but "educational" and "history", it is most definitely Not.  "'[A]ctually educates..."  Gag.

I do hope she skips the Anger phase.  I'd rather they just quietly remove her from the game board, and she moves quickly into acceptance.

• Love 5