Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

I don't know if anyone's posted this, but S4 is coming to netflix on 8/28.

https://twitter.com/oncestorybrooke/status/630799836611223552

Oh, the irony! I just tweeted Adam about Wonderland getting on netflix or dvd yesterday. I want my Wonderland!!

Didn't see these posted yet, so here:

https://twitter.com/onceabc/status/630421536550330369

https://twitter.com/onceabc/status/630828360252420096

It looks like they're making slightly (very slightly) more effort than usual.

i actually like the Merida one. I like the warm colors.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

I can't blame Adam--the DVDs have not even been released yet! Looks like what alerted him was an Evil Regal asking him why they cut the scene with Regina and Rumple. Every time a deleted scene with Regina is released, this happens. lol

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

List of eps with commentary tracks:

a tale of two sisters - edward kitsis, adam horowitz, and jennifer morrison
family business - kalinda vazquez and andrew chambliss
poor unfortunate soul - steve pearlman and colin o donoghue
sympathy for the de vil - david h goodman and jerome schwartz
mother - jane espenson and lana parrilla

I find the choice of eps kind of odd. Why nothing for the finale? Seems like that should be the one with commentary by JMo, Adam & Eddy. (I fear A&E will talk mostly about how Emma screwed up by saving Marian/Zelena and she owes Regina her happy ending, blech.) Family Business was meh. Sympathy for the De Vil was focused on a guest star. And I think I would rather stick a knitting needle through my eardrum than listen to Lana and Jane squee over Regina. So Colin's is the only one I'm interested in, TBH.

"A Tale of Two Sisters" was hardly about Emma.  If Jennifer Morrison had to get a commentary with A&E, "The Snow Queen" would have made more sense (Jennifer/Ginny/A&E would have been interesting if they had chosen that one...).  Weird they don't have actors for Belle or Rumple for "Family Business".  I guess no surprise, but none of the episodes chosen focused on Snowing, so no Josh and Ginny either.  I'm guessing Goodman and Schwartz chose "De Vil" since it would be fun to talk about the "twist" and how they adapted the Cruella story for the show.  The "Mother" commentary would need to be watched with a few dozen stress balls.

This is one of the few shows where I avoid the audio commentaries like the plague.  The only reason to watch them would be if you wanted to achieve an extreme level of rage.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

It just seems like the extras on the Once DVDs are always afterthoughts. Last year, the blooper reel was less than two minutes and the commentaries are few and far between. So I'm not totally surprised that there's no commentary on the finale -- that would be two hours of commentary instead of just one. And there's lots of writers in there. I have a feeling this is something they record in LA so if Colin or Lana or JMo is there for a few days, they throw them in a booth with the writer and be done with it. I guess Robert or Josh and Ginny like to stay in Vancouver so no commentary for them! That being said, it still doesn't explain why JMo did commentary for that particular episode. Maybe because it was the premiere? I don't know. I would've preferred if she did one for one of the Emma flashback episodes. I guess the only saving grace in all of it is that they only have two people for most of them. I hate when they do DVD commentaries with eight different people. They did that on a few Office episodes, which were only a half hour long to begin with, and it just gets to be alot of people talking over each other without saying anything.

At least JMo wasn't doing commentary for the dreadful episode 5, Breaking Glass. Otherwise, she may have had to agree with the writers that Emma deserved to be verbally eviscerated by Regina because she saved one of her former victim's life. :-p

• Love 7

Yeah, it could certainly have been worse, if they had chosen "Breaking Glass".  On most shows (not this one), I prefer commentaries from writers because they just have more to say since they made the story up.  Actors can sometimes provide some interesting tidbits about filming, but often, they can run out of significant things to say other than praising the other actors and/or the writers.  So in theory, I do think it's a good idea to pair the writers with an actor. 

Commentaries can always be done in parts as well  A&E can do theirs in LA and then send the tape to Jennifer who can record hers.  Though nowadays, it would be simple to watch together even if they're in two different cities and record audio together like in a conference call.  

Edited by Camera One

I have a feeling this is something they record in LA so if Colin or Lana or JMo is there for a few days, they throw them in a booth with the writer and be done with it. I guess Robert or Josh and Ginny like to stay in Vancouver so no commentary for them! ... I hate when they do DVD commentaries with eight different people. They did that on a few Office episodes, which were only a half hour long to begin with, and it just gets to be alot of people talking over each other without saying anything.

They can do the commentary by phone. Colin did his commentary for The Jolly Roger by phone from Ireland on a conference call with David Goodman.

And it depends on the group whether it's fun or not. There was an Alias commentary with the whole cast and it was a hoot! And I seem to remember the Ocean's 11 commentary with a bunch of the guys was a blast, as well. (If I'm remembering the movie correctly. It may have been another cast of thousands one.)

New promo poster (SQ shippers are going to LOVE it)

Oh, yeah. Dark Swan tasting Regina's "forbidden fruit"! Clearly they've decided the apple is their through-line image for each season, but it hasn't made sense or been pertinent since the first season.

• Love 2

Oh look, another uncreative poster that's totally irrelevant. Unlike S4's moldy one, this apple should have looked rotten like Regina's nightmare in 1x21 at least. This looks like they just sprayed on some black paint. Pitiful.

I think people are already tired of Dark Swan.

The Season 6 poster is out already. ;)

Given the color scheme, I'm pretty sure SQ shippers would be happy with this one as well...

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

Ok, well no.  Frozen also had an apple.  So one has nothing to do with the other.

My spin?  Camelot, Avalon means apple?  

Just me? Oh well!  Can't blame a girl for trying...

• Love 1

That apple gets more face time than Snow White.

Maybe they should work it into the show more... like Ingrid shooting frozen apples with a cannon at the heroes in 4A, and everyone getting food poisoning from rotten apples courtesy of the Queens of Misunderstood Apples at the Diner.

Edited by Camera One

Oh look, another uncreative poster that's totally irrelevant. Unlike S4's moldy one, this apple should have looked rotten like Regina's nightmare in 1x21 at least. This looks like they just sprayed on some black paint. Pitiful.

It was one of my greatest wishes that we would have gotten the Elsa silhouette on the cover rather than the frozen apple. Alas, my hopes and dreams were shattered.

I had also really hoped for a neverland/wicked cover for season 3, like the Jolly silhouette or something.

...Now that I think of it, they probably would have stuck a green apple on the cover for Wicked.

Nevermind.

Someone with photoshop skills should go back and create apple covers for all the seasons/half seasons.

Season 1 and 2: the red apple, 3a: apple with awesome eyebrows, 3b:green apple, 4a: frozen apple, 4b: either 3 apples for the QoD or an apple that's just starting to rot ('cause Emma was turning dark y'all!!) 5a: switch the black apple with a rotten one (not that that would help much though)

In the meantime, looks like the "many,many millions" of voters have crashed the Radiotimes site/or at least caused voting problems.

https://twitter.com/radiotimes/status/631188245750091776

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

Yesterday, Adam tweeted this sneak peek at what I'm guessing is the "Frozen" featurette on the DVD. 

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1092251/exclusive-video-once-upon-a-time-cast-talks-frozens-elsa-and-overcoming-fear

Reminds me of how good the actress who played Elsa was.  I like the idea that the villain was fear.  Maybe that helped to make 4A slightly more subtle, since many characters were struggling with self doubt.

Both Buzzfeed and E!Online have written articles about about an art project a Captain Swan fan did. Some really fun photos. Here is the Buzzfeed article and here is the E! Online tweet (with link to their article; I can't do it directly).

I wasn't sure if this belonged her or in the "Fan and Fandom" thread, but since it's being reported by the media, maybe here?

• Love 4

That's awesome both of those big sites wrote articles about her project! I posted a link to her photos in the fan creativity thread a few days ago, but the links you posted belong here I think.

I actually think the first photo listed on Buzzfeed is my favorite. The one of Hook by the cannery has a cool perspective also.

Once's Director of Photography Stephen Jackson also tweeted about the photos. His Twitter is private but it's here. Must be amazing for a photographer to get an acknoledgement like that! I really want Adam and Jen and Colin to see it. Jen is particular seems to really enjoy fan art, she uses it often as a profile pic.

• Love 1

Josh and Ginny at D23 yesterday. She looks absolutely adorable. I love her dress and shoes! And her hair looks good IMO. Apparently she "took over" E! Online's Instagram (you can look through some of their recent posts). And since Josh is there, is it too much to hope that he'll make an appearence at the panel? 

I would prefer for them to keep the panel as it is, even if Josh Dallas is there too. Not because I don't like them, but because of how I imagine the questions will change when it's both of them there. I'd prefer some focus on Snow as an individual character, we haven't had that in ages. There's this tendency to see her and Charming as one person that's even "worse" when both actors attend publicity events and obviously get paired up for interviews.

• Love 2

Periscope of the D23 panel if you want to watch. They show the continuation of the dagger scene at the end. IMO, you don't want to watch without a copious amount of booze. Lana & Eddy throw Jen under the bus by saying that Emma sacrificed herself for Regina. There's a LOT of Regina/Lana.

They didn't throw anyone under the bus. They were just stating their opinions. There was no bashing going on, not even a hint of it. Jennifer Morrison s interpretation of scenes and story lines is just her opinion. Obviously, other people on the show have different opinions. There is nothing wrong with that. With such a small panel and Lana being asked a lot of questions, of course she did a lot of talking.

• Love 1

They didn't throw anyone under the bus. They were just stating their opinions.

Jennifer has been insulted and mocked for saying that Emma sacrificed herself for the town and not for Regina. Those comments and insults were not just a fandom thing but expressly directed to her via twitter. So, yes, Eddy and Lana publicly contradicting her was throwing her under the bus. And it's not the first time.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 4
It looks like Emma is striking a Spiderman pose. hehe

Did Ginny bleach her hair and wear that bright magenta eyeshadow at Comic-con to make herself look more like Dark Emma?  Because from far away, there is a bit of resemblance. 

Kind of mini Dark Swan promo: http://onceabc.tumblr.com/post/126843065137/the-sun-has-set-in-storybrooke-darkswan

It looks like Emma is striking a Spiderman pose. hehe

It looks like something from a video game. Maybe the Once fandom should create a kickstarter campaign solely for better graphics in the media and special effects in the show.

Anyways, I've got a question concerning tumblr. Some of you may have heard of the Just About Write tumblr OTP poll tumblr thing and how there was definite cheating taking place (even the site recognized it based on their tweets). So I guess, is it possible to use a macro on tumblr? I disn't really think that was possible. Or how do they cheat when it comes to reblogging (besides making a zillion sideblogs solely used for voting)? because the numbers they got are ridiculous. I just feel like that's pretty low.

And on a shallower note, does that mean these "reblogs" count towards the whole "most reblogged ___" for the year that tumblr has decided to keep track of? I know, I know, i'm shallow, but I'd like the CS fandom to keep their prime spot for at least another year.

And sorry if the tumblr question is in the wrong thread. I don't know if this would fit better in the media thread (because of the poll) or the fandom thread (although the issue concerns other show's fandoms, and not really ours).

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

Another Season 5 promo they aired at D23 Expo - "Turning Dark".  It does have some shots of Dark Emma (looks like the same from the Comic-con sneak peeks) if you're avoiding those, but no spoilers, mostly past scenes (eg. David and Isaac is from "Sympathy for the De Vil")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ygcEWVio

They really glossed over a lot in that explanation, didn't they?  Pretty much someone could jump in after skipping all of Season 4.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Anyways, I've got a question concerning tumblr. Some of you may have heard of the Just About Write tumblr OTP poll tumblr thing and how there was definite cheating taking place (even the site recognized it based on their tweets). So I guess, is it possible to use a macro on tumblr? I disn't really think that was possible. Or how do they cheat when it comes to reblogging (besides making a zillion sideblogs solely used for voting)? because the numbers they got are ridiculous. I just feel like that's pretty low.

And on a shallower note, does that mean these "reblogs" count towards the whole "most reblogged ___" for the year that tumblr has decided to keep track of? I know, I know, i'm shallow, but I'd like the CS fandom to keep their prime spot for at least another year.

And sorry if the tumblr question is in the wrong thread. I don't know if this would fit better in the media thread (because of the poll) or the fandom thread (although the issue concerns other show's fandoms, and not really ours).

My number one questions about that OTP poll is... why is the CS fandom so invested in a poll for a site no one's ever heard of? Honestly.

About the "cheating". I'm assuming you mean from Olicity shippers? They were already involved - and won - a similar "reblog this as many times as you can" kind of poll from MTV this summer. So I assume they already had a system and several sideblogs created and already knew how to run things. That gave them an advantage. Just my opinion, but I hate those "reblog" polls even more than the normal ones. They spam my dashboard SO much.