Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight in the Media

Media!

To start us off;

The Wrap had an article in March on the show.

Something more recent from The USD Vista.

Seriously? The Hollywood Reporter has Chris Hardwick on their shortlist (well, 17, but he IS #3) for David Letterman's replacement? What would happen to Talking Midnight Dead Nerdist Bad???

For a 12:30 slot, maybe. For an 11:30 slot, IMO Hardwick would never get the job in a million years.

Is there any way that list is in order? They have Chelsea, Kathy Griffin and Russell Brand really high on that list. There's no way they'd be okay for CBS at 10/11 pm. Not up against the Jimmys.

I know for the Nerdist Podcast and from reactions to him during the first Season of Talking Dead, that there's something that turns people off about Chris. Kind of like that thing Anne Hathaway has (Chris's words, not mine). I think Chris is masterful at wrangling and hosting (Singled Out prepared him well), but I'm just not sure he's well-known enough for the gig. I'd put him behind Colbert and Seinfeld and slightly ahead of Craig Ferguson and Neil Patrick Harris. Kimmel and Stewart would be ahead of Chris, but they'd have to quit their current gigs, which seems unlikely.

Is there any way that list is in order? They have Chelsea, Kathy Griffin and Russell Brand really high on that list. There's no way they'd be okay for CBS at 10/11 pm. Not up against the Jimmys.

I know for the Nerdist Podcast and from reactions to him during the first Season of Talking Dead, that there's something that turns people off about Chris. Kind of like that thing Anne Hathaway has (Chris's words, not mine). I think Chris is masterful at wrangling and hosting (Singled Out prepared him well), but I'm just not sure he's well-known enough for the gig. I'd put him behind Colbert and Seinfeld and slightly ahead of Craig Ferguson and Neil Patrick Harris. Kimmel and Stewart would be ahead of Chris, but they'd have to quit their current gigs, which seems unlikely.

I like certain things about Hardwick, but his weaknesses include him being a bit of a "try too hard" at times, and also his voice at times goes to a range that isn't exactly soothing.   That second thing actually worked to Conan O'Brian's advantage, because he had a similar problem at one point and made it work in a way, and Jimmy Fallon has an even WORSE version of try-too-hard-itus than Hardwick, but people seem to forgive him it, so... you never know.

• Love 1

Chris Hardwick seems a little too geek/internet centric to have the generic appeal needed for a network hosting gig... but who knows what networks are thinking sometimes? His quirks may be his greatest strengths.

It's a shame they can't just move @midnight to 11:30, but this is what they get for naming the show after its time slot.

Theoretically the name could refer to the time the show ends, right?

Or they could simply rename it:  The Chris Hardwick Comedy Gameshow Jamboree.

• Love 3

It's a shame they can't just move @midnight to 11:30, but this is what they get for naming the show after its time slot.

Good point. I The show doesn't air at midnight where I'm from or for the middle part of the country, so I don't think it's a big deal. It could be a running joke.

The Chris Hardwick Comedy Gameshow Jamboree

That would be the name of the TV show that Hardwick would host that would talk about "@Midnight", and air right after @Midnight ended, wouldn't it?

• Love 6

Theoretically the name could refer to the time the show ends, right?

Or they could simply rename it:  The Chris Hardwick Comedy Gameshow Jamboree.

Hardwick's Bad Ass Comedy Gameshow!

Guys? @Midnight just got nominated for an Emmy...

Outstanding Interactive Program

Comedy Central’s @midnight • Comedy Central • Comedy Central, Funny or Die, Serious Business, Aloha Productions, Nerdist Industries
Comedy Central Funny or Die Serious Business Aloha Productions Nerdist Industries
Game of Thrones Premiere – Facebook Live and Instagram • HBO • Facebook and Instagram
Sabrina Caluori, VP Digital and Social Media, HBO
Paul Beddoe-Stephens, Strategic Partnerships TV, Facebook + Instagram
Jim Marsh, Digital and Social Media, HBO
Michael McMorrow, VP Event Planning and Production, HBO
Michael McMillian, Host

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon Digital Experience • NBC • NBC Entertainment NBC Entertainment Digital

The Voice • NBC.com • NBC Entertainment Digital, One Three Media, Talpa Media USA, Warner Horizon
NBC Entertainment One Three Media Talpa Media USA Warner Horizon

• Love 2

I had to look up what the hell that Emmy is: "The honorees in this category reflect the Television Academy's commitment to recognizing, fostering and celebrating not only traditionally formatted content, but second screen experiences and cutting edge "next generation" content produced by the major studios as well as independent creators."

I'm happy the show is being recognized, but aside from the Hashtag Wars, I'm not seeing a lot of cutting edge interactivity. Maybe they counted Chris' jutting Adams apple.

Um... I guess there's the Thursday thing where each of the contestants "plays" for a Twitter follower? Though that seems kind of pointless. I think they gave away a prize one week, but the rest of the time, I suppose it's just for the glory of having your Twitter user name mentioned on national TV.

TBH, though, Hardwick has a mastery of social media, and uses it across the board with his Nerdist world. So I also look at how they integrate youtube and other social media, and I think @Midnight has figured out how to make stuff work better then anything else I've seen at this point.

That said, 1) Interactive Program IS odd, and 2) I really not sure if I want to see 'Emmy-winning @Midnight' in the near future...

I think they gave away a prize one week, but the rest of the time, I suppose it's just for the glory of having your Twitter user name mentioned on national TV.

Every week they send the winner a prize pack, it's similar to the goodie bags the guests gets but with an autographed photo of the panel and Chris.

The Creative Emmys will be held this weekend. I'd love to be able to watch them to see if Chris and @midnight win, but can't find news on whether they'll eventually show up on TV or stream live or what.

Edited by ABay

Catching up with the renewal news -- I was surprised to see in the story linked to by @biakbiak that almost 70% of AM's viewership is male. I'm a female who never misses an episode, and I really like the fact that they have a lot of women panelists. I recognize the whole nerdy-Internet-guy stereotype AM sometimes plays to, but I think it's one of the funniest shows around. It never fails to cheer me up after the often serious news dealt with on "The Daily Show" (and, to a lesser extent, "Colbert").

• Love 5

Comedy Central press release:

NEW YORK, August 19, 2015 - It's a time warp! On Tuesday, September 8, Comedy Central's Emmy®-nominated "@midnight with Chris Hardwick" moves to 11:00 p.m. ET/PT, followed by all-new episodes of "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore." The series returns to its regular slot of Midnight ET/PT on Monday, September 21, following "The Nightly Show."

(edited)

Thanks, fastiller. My first thought on seeing the link title was, "Oh, jeeze," but the article was interesting. My only contact with Chris is through this show, but I still think he needs to calm the hell down. There's keeping busy, there's being a workaholic, and then there's "how huge of an emotional hole are you trying to fill?".

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

So it would be better for him to return to alcoholism?

Oh, not at all.  I wasn't meaning that one bit.  (This is where typing falls short - doesn't allow for tone.  Also - not sure if you were addressing me.)

What's strange is that Hardwick talked about Lydia being good for him because she calmed him down and taught him to take vacations and not throw himself into work, but then it seems like he's working even harder now than he was. Though Nerdist has taken on a life of it's own independent of him and the podcasts he does are limited to once a week now. And TD is once a week, so really it's only @Midnight that is time consuming. But still, for a guy who claims he takes more vacations, he sure seems to work a lot..