Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Hostile Makeover

Looks like JJ created the Ventureverse's version of the iPod (and Siri). And if Hank's room was formerly Ned's, he's also responsible for taking over Dr. Impossible's company, putting the building back into Venture's hands. And after all the years of Rusty leeching off of Jonas's tech and money, now he's leeching off JJ's.

It's awfully convenient that the guild had a NY chapter that's pretty big, and an Avengers-like team to fight them. We're going Full Marvel this season: Not only is Brown Spider back (Nathan Fillion!), we also have pastiches of Captain America (Stars & Garters), Thor/WonderWoman (Warriana), Hawkeye (called Fallen Archer), Punisher (Night Dick!) and now Kingpin. Wide Wale was awesomely disgusting and creepy. I also can't wait for their MODOK, Think Tank.

This episode was over too soon. I want more. I want more Ventures acting like assholes, more Monarch, more, well everything. I want to know what Hatred is gonna do now that he's no longer bodyguarding.

Oh, my God, that was fantastic!

Brock's back!  Hatred's been reduced!  Venture Bot killed his vastly superior version!  Captain America in garters and stockings!  Fallen Archer!  The Venture Bros version of Spider-Man returns!  Oh, I'm so full of happy!

I doubt that The Monarch will understand what his wife had to do to get all those New York based villains to join the Guild, but better a love session with a half whale-half human hybrid than having a bunch of super-villains running around unregulated and uncontrolled.

Hank seems to have regressed even more while Dean is moving more forward in growing up.  I'm glad that they kept that bit of character development. 

Loved Brock and The Truth Lasso and Hunter Gathers comment toward Hatred about the kid superhero.  I also loved the giraffe.  Too bad he had to go.

Also, did anyone notice how the Italian guy looked like Stan Lee?  For a moment, I thought he'd be ripping off Dr. Venture.

• Love 2

I don't think I like Dr. Girlfriend selling her principles for the future of the Guild. I know her husband's a schmuck, but he shouldn't be a cuckold as well.

Good episode. Nice Avengers/JLA stand-ins, though I kinda want Captain Sunshine back. I actually care about where Sgt. Hatred will wind up; of course, Gathers isn't keen on setting him up with a nine-year old. And the Captain (Cap'n?) still has the tranq monkey on his back.

Why no teaser for next week's episode, [as]? From what I read on my cable's schedule, it'll spotlight

Billy and Pete. And maybe St. Cloud.

ETA: Wait . .. so Dr. Girlfriend (or whatever she goes by) isn't going cheat on her husband? That's good . . .  but handing Rusty's arching to Wide Wale might kill the Monarch.

• Love 2
Also, did anyone notice how the Italian guy looked like Stan Lee?  For a moment, I thought he'd be ripping off Dr. Venture.

I was thinking the same thing! That couldn't have been a coincidence!

I doubt that The Monarch will understand what his wife had to do to get all those New York based villains to join the Guild, but better a love session with a half whale-half human hybrid than having a bunch of super-villains running around unregulated and uncontrolled.

And that Wide Whale is Rusty's new arch is sure to piss him right off.

• Love 1

They were so blatant about hinting (and not revealing outright) that Wide Whale wanted to sleep with Mrs.The Monarch that I can't help but suspect that he really asked for something else.

Nice to know that Gary can get a job filling in for the Naked Cowboy if he ever needs to.

• Love 3

They were so blatant about hinting (and not revealing outright) that Wide Whale wanted to sleep with Mrs.The Monarch that I can't help but suspect that he really asked for something else.

Nice to know that Gary can get a job filling in for the Naked Cowboy if he ever needs to.

I think what he actually asked for was to arch Dr. Venture.

ETA: According to the AV Club review they were under the impression it was asking to arch Dr Venture with Dr Mrs The Monarch.

I'm not sure The Monarch would have been all that upset about the sex, but arching he takes very seriously.

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 3

I'm not sure The Monarch would have been all that upset about the sex, but arching he takes very seriously.

Right, wasn't there a scene where Dr. Girlfriend and Gary made out over the Monarch's unconscious body and The Monarch didn't care and thought it was funny that Gary thought it was a big deal?

The Monarch would only care about her having sex with another guy if it was someone he hated, like Venture or Phantom Limb, but losing the right to arch Rusty hits him where he lives.

• Love 3

Right, wasn't there a scene where Dr. Girlfriend and Gary made out over the Monarch's unconscious body and The Monarch didn't care and thought it was funny that Gary thought it was a big deal?

The Monarch would only care about her having sex with another guy if it was someone he hated, like Venture or Phantom Limb, but losing the right to arch Rusty hits him where he lives.

They're swingers, and it's been hinted that fooling around is cool if the other person is around. Word on him minding if it's someone he hates.

• Love 1

I thought the Hawkeye analogue was named Fallen ARCHES, hence the flat-footed "arrowheads".

I laughed at Brown Recluse's inner dialogue taking so long that he got hit by the can that guy threw at him. Apparently it happens often.

According to the AV Club review they were under the impression it was asking to arch Dr Venture with Dr Mrs The Monarch.

It never occurred to me that Wide Whale wanted to arch Rusty -- I like!

I think what he actually asked for was to arch Dr. Venture.

ETA: According to the AV Club review they were under the impression it was asking to arch Dr Venture with Dr Mrs The Monarch.

I don't think the A.V. Club reviewer got that quite right. Wide Whale appears to have wanted to arch Dr. Venture, but I didn't get the impression that he wanted her to be his partner in it.

I don't think the A.V. Club reviewer got that quite right. Wide Whale appears to have wanted to arch Dr. Venture, but I didn't get the impression that he wanted her to be his partner in it.

Having rewatched it, I think you're right.  

And that was Stars and Garters bullying not-Spiderman.  

• Love 1