Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: WCIA: The Cod Squad

The remaining recruits must use exotic proteins to grind out some unforgettable burgers. After serving their original sliders to Chef Anne Burrell and Chef Tyler Florence, the recruits learn they must each fillet a whole cod to make homemade fish and chips.

Why is there always one meat grinder that doesn't work on these challenges?  I'd blame the contestants, but when they get to use a different machine it seems to magically work. I can't remember if it's been on this show before but I know I've seen it on Chopped. Are those things just particularly tricky to use?

I was pretty impressed with most of their fish filet skills. I cook quite a bit and I think I'm fairly good at cooking (unless lots of people are lying to me), but I don't know that I'd tackle a fish like that. I think I'd be pretty intimidated. The fish and chips all looked pretty good, and I liked the tips they shared. I don't fry often so  I always forget that about not overcrowding the oil and bringing the temp down.

I thought it was strange that Tyler had them all make sauce but then didn't even taste it, while Anne kind of last minute threw the tartar sauce element at her contestants, and she tasted the ones she got. Some of the sauces sounded pretty interesting.

It did seem like the right people went home. I hope next week they get back to more of the cooking and less of the flirting.

• Love 2

One thing I noticed about Ginny - in every episode she is wearing the same black sweater and necklace in her talking heads. You see her in different tops when she's cooking, but it's always the black sweater in her talking heads. I wonder why. She's become a frontrunner so I'm glad for her, but I think I like Lawrence a little better. At least this year there are real worst cooks.

One thing I noticed about Ginny - in every episode she is wearing the same black sweater and necklace in her talking heads. You see her in different tops when she's cooking, but it's always the black sweater in her talking heads. I wonder why. She's become a frontrunner so I'm glad for her, but I think I like Lawrence a little better. At least this year there are real worst cooks.

Are the other contestants always wearing the same clothes in their THs? I thought I read they do all the THs at the same time, especially in a show that's shot over such a short time period.

Edited by chessiegal

I liked the burger challenge... I felt like moreso than the last few seasons most of the contestants left at this point are actually human beings vs. actors/characters. Yeah, they're kooky, but in the THs they seem genuine, and like they actually can name real things they've learned.

I hope they got some off-screen guidance on cooking times needed for the specific proteins though. I love ostrich, but it took a few tries to figure out the time to cook it - and I have zero idea about what the proper doneness would be for alligator, I've only had it fried - can you eat it rare?. I thought it was cool that whatshisface was able to recognize it was very muscular, and the young kid with the "I would have done bbq sauce a few weeks ago but I've learned!" was nice. 

• Love 6

I liked Holgie a lot but I knew all along that she'd never be able to handle the big dinner at the end if she somehow made it that far so it was just as well she was eliminated when she was.  I was glad to see Chandra go too because watching her handle food with all those rings on made me cringe.  At the beginning of the first episode, Anne told her "no heels in the kitchen" so I kept waiting for the same advice wrt multiple rings with stones.  

I won't be surprised if it comes down to two men, Taylor and Lawrence, but I suspect that Tyler may be partial to Ginny.

• Love 1

Chandra and Hogie.

Thanks. I had a feeling Holgie would be going. She appeared to have a tough time with the sliders and the massacre of her fish. Can't remember anything about Chandra except her not knowing what pheasant was.

• Love 1

I saw Taylor taste his tartar sauce, then shake the spoon back into the little bowl with the rest of the tartar sauce that he served.  Either Anne didn't see it or she didn't care. Or she wants him to win so she's not going to point out any more faults of his than necessary.

• Love 3

Interesting episode and yes, refreshing to see real people and not actors or accomplished cooks in novice's clothing.

I consider myself a fairly decent cook, but I am certain that I would have struggled through the challenges both last week and last night. I've never butchered a fish. I thought it was interesting to hear Anne and Tyler talk about "Cinderella fish." It's nice to know there is more out there than salmon, tilapia, swai, halibut, and the usual cast of characters.

I'm fairly confident that Taylor will represent Anne's team, but it could be a very tight race on Team Blue. I'm kind of rooting for Ginny; especially as she has a local connection in this group! Her from-out-of-nowhere "crush" on Tyler this week was kinda cheesy, but it seems like that every year that a female cheftestant on the blue team must be required to be "hot for the teacher."  It just seemed kind of silly for her. I hope they cut that out next week and get down to business.

• Love 2

Are the other contestants always wearing the same clothes in their THs? I thought I read they do all the THs at the same time, especially in a show that's shot over such a short time period.

From what I've read, all the shows with THs, they film them all after the series wraps.  So they spend essentially a few hours being asked questions by the producers for each episode.

Anyone know who the person was that got an In Memorium at the end of the episode?

I saw Taylor taste his tartar sauce, then shake the spoon back into the little bowl with the rest of the tartar sauce that he served.  Either Anne didn't see it or she didn't care. Or she wants him to win so she's not going to point out any more faults of his than necessary.

I noticed that too, and was thinking "yuck!" I was surprised she didn't say anything.

Anyone know who the person was that got an In Memorium at the end of the episode?

According to IMDB, he was a production assistant and producer, mostly for Real Housewives. Don't know his connection to Worst Cooks.

I googled and also found a FB page.  He worked on Worst Cooks.  From scanning comments, I gathered that he was well-liked.  One of the first comments on the page when I looked was by Ginny who said he was great on the set.  Nowhere did I see a clue to what happened to him, just that his death was sudden.

I liked this episode and the way this season is going in general.  I too appreciate the fact that they seem to be real people and not just characters.  I also thought the challenges were challenging even for more accomplished home cooks let alone novices.  I don't think I'd fare too well making burgers out of ostrich or filleting such big-ass fish.  Pollock is actually familiar to me as it's often used to make fish and chips here in New England.  It's not bad as long as it's fried.

Ginny Meerman is an avid gun rights activist and 2007 winner of the "Mrs. Maryland" pageant.  Not surprisingly to me, her age is conveniently scrubbed out of any online profiles.

Here she is advocating gun rights in a video.  The comments below aren't too nice, especially the snark about the "nice facelift":

I was sorry to see Hoagie go.  She was a little flakey but fun.

• Love 2

I agree, this bunch seems like "real people."  So I think it would be great if they were taught to make more home cook/real people food.  So far, I see "Four Ways to Prepare an Egg" as the lesson they're all likely to use most.

But--like the guy who was newly comfortable creating a sauce--maybe once you've experienced choosing the fat most suitable to grind into your alligator meat, you're simply no longer daunted by a nice pot roast or a butternut squash casserole.

They still have their fun moments, though:  Hmm, I know tartar sauce is red. . . .

• Love 3

I saw that, too. Gross.

I'm not overly convinced Anne was even there for the whole filming. Tyler popped down to help his team, but Anne never did. Tyler and Anne had a few shots of them talking, but that would be easy enough to edit in later. Why was Tyler's team making fish, chips, onion rings, and a sauce and Anne's only did fish and chips? 

• Love 2

I agree, this bunch seems like "real people."  So I think it would be great if they were taught to make more home cook/real people food.  So far, I see "Four Ways to Prepare an Egg" as the lesson they're all likely to use most.

I always feel like the show is missing an opportunity for that. The first half is always "Wacky Kitchen Goofups" and the last half is My Fair Lady with food. I think it would be nice to have a show where they teach basic skills to people who sorely need them. Especially since so much of the Food Network is either elevated oddities like Chopped or non-cooking shows like Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.  

I don't know, maybe that would lose the more sophisticated audience. But I doubt any of these contestants are going to go buy meat grinders or ice cream makers after the show, so I prefer lessons they might directly apply.

• Love 2

I always feel like the show is missing an opportunity for that. The first half is always "Wacky Kitchen Goofups" and the last half is My Fair Lady with food. I think it would be nice to have a show where they teach basic skills to people who sorely need them. Especially since so much of the Food Network is either elevated oddities like Chopped or non-cooking shows like Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.  

I don't know, maybe that would lose the more sophisticated audience. But I doubt any of these contestants are going to go buy meat grinders or ice cream makers after the show, so I prefer lessons they might directly apply.

I think the earlier seasons were more basic, because I remember thinking the final showdown meal for the judges required some complicated steps.  I don't know what they have left to wow us with for the last competition except fresh baguettes and soufflé.