Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Departures

Christmas is a time for coming together, but for the Lefevers, it’s a time of difficult choices. Billy faces an ultimatum to either save his marriage by leaving Rock Springs forever or to stay in the oil game alone while Cody experiences temptation in the form of another man. With the Black Elks land deal slipping away, Annie and Hap consider doing the unthinkable – joining forces to help secure this once-in-a-lifetime oil acquisition. Fearing the fate of his son, AJ enlists Tip to help bring the child to safety. And finally, another father-and-son relationship is pushed to its limits when Hap and Wick finally lay it all out on the table at the Briggs Christmas Eve gathering.

Well, I guess they did have time to re-write and wrap up storylines. They did a pretty decent job.

Poor Carla, having to squinch to rest her head on Hap's shoulder.... :)

And i thought you couldn't do a paternity test until the baby is born?

I've seen them do paternity tests before the baby's born on other TV shows. I was actually expecting the doctor to tell Jules she was pregnant with twins and one was Haps and one was Wicks. Cause soaps need complicated family trees.

That Alex guy sure was creepy with Cody. I don't get why she was trusting him.  She met him about two days ago and he was a total dick to her when he thought she was a nurse. Then suddenly she called him a friend?

• Love 4

Well, I guess they did have time to re-write and wrap up storylines. They did a pretty decent job.

Definitely, given the circumstances.  I guess they had enough time when production was stopped.

• Love 1

Billy is lucky that Cody rolled over for him.  Since he signed on as partner, any divorce settlement next season would have hammered him.  At least Hap's lawyers would have something to do, besides getting Hap out from under all the contracts once the oil boom died.

Well that was a whirlwind of happy endings. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It's a rushed wrap up, their episode count was cut, so they probably had enough time to do so.

Most of you seem to be pleased with the ending for one reason or another, but not me, NO WAY JOSE!  Of course, I'm probably biased since I avidly supported this show even when it wasn't at its best.  Not only did they have enough material to make it work for another season, but they totally disregarded all of the hatred, venom, and conflict that existed between the characters in the previous episodes to fabricate an ending that just didn't jibe in my opinion.  Were Hap and Wick really so ready to embrace after the betrayals involving Jules and Wick being the mole?  I think not!  Jules pretty much attempted suicide because of both of them, and she clearly stated that she no longer wanted anything to do with them ever again.  They played games with her pregnancy by saying it's Hap's and then later saying it's Wick's.  Then Jules is ready to run off with Wick with the news of the pregnancy despite how badly Wick had treated her in the previous episode.  Really?  Hap oddly offers Billy to be part of a lucrative deal by allowing him to move back to his hometown with Cody.  Really Hap?  Speaking of Cody, did she forget that she caught her husband with his tongue down Emma's throat?  No questions Cody?  Really?  I'm going to miss the dynamic between Don Johnson and Lolita Davidovich the most.  I thought they alone could've carried this show for several seasons.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 3

I agree they had material for another season, and the happily ever after were too easy. No way Cody wouldn't have still had issues with Billy, and no way would Hap and everyone else easily agree to work together. But I also hate when shows end on cliffhangers.

• Love 2

Most of you seem to be pleased with the ending for one reason or another, but not me, NO WAY JOSE!  Of course, I'm probably biased since I avidly supported this show even when it wasn't at its best.  Not only did they have enough material to make it work for another season, but they totally disregarded all of the hatred, venom, and conflict that existed between the characters in the previous episodes to fabricate an ending that just didn't jive in my opinion.

Not pleased, just relieved that they didn't try to do cliffhangers since the writers probably knew this most likely wasn't going to come back from the looks of things.

It is contrived and you can tell they rushed a wrap up.

• Love 1

Not pleased, just relieved that they didn't try to do cliffhangers since the writers probably knew this most likely wasn't going to come back from the looks of things.

It is contrived and you can tell they rushed a wrap up.

Then you're pleased!  LOL!  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm not because there were elements in place for so much more and they chose not to capitalize on them.

Then you're pleased!  LOL!  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm not because there were elements in place for so much more and they chose not to capitalize on them.

No, that's more of a relief on the wrap up itself instead of trying to end it on a cliffhanger.

If the show were safe, then they could capitalize on that, otherwise there was no point in doing so.

Keep in mind their episode order was cut and production ended after episode 10.

No, that's more of a relief on the wrap up itself instead of trying to end it on a cliffhanger.

If the show were safe, then they could capitalize on that, otherwise there was no point in doing so.

Keep in mind their episode order was cut and production ended after episode 10.

With all due respect, I never got the impression that you even liked Blood and Oil.  You were quite negative from week to week.  I guess that's OK but..............................................well?

Edited by Syndicate

WOW!  Nevermind!  LOL!  With all due respect, I never got the impression that you liked Blood and Oil.  You were quite negative from week to week.  I guess that's OK but..............................................

If you want to see negative, you should check out my Quantico posts.

I've actually haven't cared much about the show after the dull, mediocre start it had, it sort of just petered off.

• Love 1
Were Hap and Wick really so ready to embrace after the betrayals involving Jules and Wick being the mole?  I think not!

Ahhh, but it's Christmas and all.  Just wait until the next Monday when the work bell rings and Hap and Wick both are sharpening their fangs.

I am just happy Wick got his happy ending and Tip was the hero.  Everyone else, I could care less about.  I liked Billy better with the girl he kissed last week.  Delroy Lindo and Scott Michael Foster deserve better.

Edited by dirtydi

I watched this series hoping it would be good.  Sadly, it wasn't.  Billy and Cody buy a house and the next week, it is furnished like they've lived there for years. And, she goes from being a clerk at a drug store one week, gets shot and the next week she is a pharmacist?  I think I watched the episodes after they announced the series was being cut at 10 just to see how outrageous it would get.  Shame, it could have  been a decent show.

I watched this series hoping it would be good.  Sadly, it wasn't.  Billy and Cody buy a house and the next week, it is furnished like they've lived there for years. And, she goes from being a clerk at a drug store one week, gets shot and the next week she is a pharmacist?  I think I watched the episodes after they announced the series was being cut at 10 just to see how outrageous it would get.  Shame, it could have  been a decent show.

She was never a clerk at the drug store, she was always a pharmacist. In the episode where she got hired Billy said something about how she never finished pharmacy school, and she told him they didn't care because they really needed one.

But I agree about there beautifully decorated house.  Also, when Cody wanted to leave town, was she planning on just leaving the house sitting there full of their stuff? I think they put $250 million into it (with no mortgage) because then Billy didn't have enough money for his other deal with Hap.  

Billy and Cody annoyed me from the start and it was just wrong to focus so much on them, especially at the start of the series.

• Love 2

I hated the ending.  I'm glad they didn't try to do a big cliffhanger, but the happy endings were so ridiculous and over the top. This show had so much potential, and it went nowhere. It wasted far too much time on Gary, on the couple with the restaurant, and the guy with his son, and on Emma I think. If they had cut those out, it would have gone smoother.

The whole setup from like Episode 2 was that Hap was a bad guy and people wanted to get back at him. But suddenly, no! He's this nice caring guy. He forgives his son for the mole (and why not since there ended up being no legal consequences for the crime), and his son forgives him for sleeping with his girlfriend. It was all because his dad didn't show him enough love.  His ex-wife forgave him and they are now a successful family business. And of course, his loving wife by his side getting along with his ex-wife. Everyone is happy and loves each other. Even the shady cop didn't get caught. And now they're all richer than before. 

It wasted far too much time on Gary, on the couple with the restaurant, and the guy with his son, and on Emma I think. If they had cut those out, it would have gone smoother.

Definitely, too much time was wasted on those pointless fillers.

• Love 1

Still picking jaw up from floor. This was the most slapdash, contrived, out-of-left field and wholly unconvincing "and they lived happily ever after" ending I've seen to a TV series. (My wife's opinion, I must admit, was 180 degrees the other way.) For an example of how to close out a show on short notice, try to find the final episode of "Third Watch": showrunner Ed Berneiro had two weeks to come up with a finale and the fans -- at least those on Television Without Pity -- gave the result a solid thumbs-up. Well, B&O is gone and will, I suspect, be forgotten with alacrity.

• Love 1