Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Maveth

• Start Topic

Only his attack on ATCU Agent Banks, where an experienced soldier didn't break for cover suggest he was being controlled directly.

I can see this, but I can also see- though handwaving involved- from Bank's struggle with his gun that, before Bank's turned around, MD aimed and pulled the trigger- he didn't cause Banks to pull the trigger.

Banks tried to move the gun and not allow the trigger to be squeezed but failed. Then, once he turned to face Leo and Jemma, he let go of the gun and MD moved it to face him. Banks didn't flee was a fear response rather than being directly controlled. That, and handwaving.

I thought Banks was familiar with MD's power due to the prior exchange with Bobbi at the ATCU. Then again, if MD is Malick's personal Inhuman and his gig was kept on the DL with regular ATCU personnel, then maybe Banks' reaction isn't so OOC.

Edited by Tarasme
I am just amazed that of all the times the portal was opened, so many of them have been in walking distance of the characters. I mean how small is this planet? 

This actually makes sense to me - the portal supposedly opens in the same spot every time, just the planet is rotating.  So it opens up, they go through, and it'll open again in 12 hours.  They just have to find the new location based on the rotation of the planet.  I'm guessing the planet just doesn't rotate very fast, hence why the portal is within walking distance (and why they only see the sun every 18 years or whatever).  It also probably doesn't open on the planet's equator, and might open closer to one of the poles, so maybe there's only a small area of possibility for it to open on.

• Love 2

Thinking about the episode some more - is there any particular reason "Will" chose to blow his cover with seconds to go before he was home free on Earth? I know it was a little contrived that Coulson just happened to provide another corpse for it to jump into, but the only reason that was necessary was because It decided to just spill the beans to Fitz in the first place. 

Only his attack on ATCU Agent Banks, where an experienced soldier didn't break for cover suggest he was being controlled directly.

Whenever "agent" is used in front of his name my mind automatically pulls up an image of Frankie Muniz as Agent Cody Banks.

• Love 1
Thinking about the episode some more - is there any particular reason "Will" chose to blow his cover with seconds to go before he was home free on Earth? I know it was a little contrived that Coulson just happened to provide another corpse for it to jump into, but the only reason that was necessary was because It decided to just spill the beans to Fitz in the first place.

I honestly think Maveth just got a little excited. He was this close to getting off his prison and he started saying whatever he could think of to keep the human busy and distracted until they were through the portal. It just happened to be too much. He misjudged Fitz's intelligence and awareness. 

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

In addition to KirkB's explanation above, Fitz started examining Maveth!Will's leg and saw the exposed bone and rotting flesh. I don't know if Fitz would have completely challenged Will's statements about the planet's previous civilization prior to getting him through the portal w/o realizing he was looking at a zombie version of Jemma's crush.

Edited by Tarasme
  • Love 1

I think Maveth does have some kind of ability to induce hallucinations.  Will's description of how is team broke down suggest a psychic influence of some kind, and while what Jemma saw had the shape of an astronaut, the colors were all gray, similar to the hooded figure.  Perhaps the creature can only do that if it isn't in a body.  It did seem to be holding onto Will and staying in Will's place in case Jemma or SHIELD managed to return.

I caught the bit of dialogue where Fitz was telling 'Will' about Hydra, and 'Will' said 'that's a very old name,' and brushed it off as Will being a WWII history buff.  Must be more suspicious about people stranded on alien planets.

• Love 1

I keep hearing it in Butt-Head's voice. "Settle down, Maveth."

Well, since Hydra probably didn't gather the cuddly Inhumans to be the big daddy Inhuman's army, Andrew actually ended up helping the good guys. I thought it was a bit of shame that none of them realized that.

I thought Coulson was breaking his heart because, you know. And I am happy I called the Will reveal all the way back in the 4,722 Hours thread. See you at the lotto terminal!

I'm gonna call it now: Season finale will be Lash vs IT/ZombieWard. AND Lash's whole compulsion to kill Inhumans is motivated by a desire to avoid accumulating an army for IT.

That's what I was wondering. There were so many skeletons on the blue planet (there were a bunch around Coulson when he woke up), that I wondered if It could only inhabit a dead body until it was pretty much skeletonized and then had to find a new host. If so, Zombie Ward is going to look grosser and grosser as time goes by.

Good news for the makeup crew! Emmy nomination!!

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 2

I'm gonna call it now: Season finale will be Lash vs IT/ZombieWard. AND Lash's whole compulsion to kill Inhumans is motivated by a desire to avoid accumulating an army for IT.

I agreed, but the rest of the team will be involved somehow as well. Down with SquidWard!

• Love 2

If the portal was closing with seconds to go as Coulson/Fitz went through it, how did the worm/Goa'uld/whatever crawl from "IT"s body to Ward's body and then manage to re-animate it -- AND -- make it to the portal -- AND -- survive the collapse of the castle -- AND -- race far down the road so that he could block the road in front of Malick's car. What ..... is "IT" part the Flash too ?

Dude, it's a comic book show, just go with it. LOL

• Love 5

I'm still trying to rack my brain for where I've seen that, "You need to get up RIGHT NOW!" dream sequence before (it could be many places, I guess, but I'm sure there's one that rang bells). At least Constance Zimmer got one last appearance (and paycheck!) despite being dead, because I'd liked her character.

Kel Varnsen I swear on TV there has to be some rule where the better your powers are the worse ways you will use them. I mean that guy could have given anyone instant concussion or direct heart punch, but instead he picks up automatic weapons and holds them far away from his eyes.

I know! Every time I saw him do that "Steal your gun & shoot you with it" shtick, I thought - Cool & all, but you could just have your own gun and shoot them with that!

foreverevolving Mack did an awesome job as the director

I totally agree. He wasn't unreasonable, but he did the most important job: he made the big decisions ( "We're bringing in Team Inhuman" "I'm 'Hoding the line' - you're getting out of here!") and stuck to it.

missbonnie I thought Coulson had the best line of the night myself when he saw where he was

...except other than being a desert planet, it wasn't a lot like Tatooine - it was two suns down for a start! A closer Star Wars analogue would be Endor, which did have the large moon in the sky (actually that WAS Endor - the Ewoks were on the moon OF Endor) [/starWarsNerdery]

sinkwriter Did they want this to be an intense "Hurry up! The portal's closing in seconds!!" run-for-your-life moment for Fitz and Coulson, or did they want this to be a big dramatic slow-down of a moment where someone finally kills Ward and we say goodbye to that character and who he was and all that he did?

Yeah, that was a real problem. OK, realistically, we know Coulson isn't getting trapped on an alien planet (just like we know that James Bond WILL escape from the death trap and Luke WILL blow up the Death Star, even before it happens) but you have to TRY and sell it like it MIGHT not happen. Having Coulson stoically staring at Ward's corpse doesn't exactly build up the tension!

• Love 1