Type keyword(s) to search

S03: Africa

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I've always been in the minority with being a fan of this season.  I actually enjoyed the location, even if they were extremely limited in what they could do with their surroundings.  One episode showed some mountain lions getting close to camp and yes, because this was before I started following message boards or spoilers, and didn't know that this show wasn't as survival oriented as they made it seem, I thought there was a chance someone was going to get mauled.  Or at least scratched pretty bad.  As a cast, I really enjoyed them.  I thought it had some really good challenges (the first one, the quest for fire, was one of the more brutal ones that I can remember).  And the really unpopular opinion, but I loved the youngin's on Samburu.  I was absolutely crushed when the tribe swap happened and it led to their downfall.  It was known that Jeff didn't like the Sambrats (as they were called) and given the issue the show had in previous seasons with older contestants being targeted for elimination, you'll never convince me that tribe swap was supposed to happen.  I don't know if they expected that Silas would be the first sacrifice, but at least one of them would have gone to Boran, and been the boot if not Silas.  I've always wanted to see him get a second shot as a result, though I don't know if he would ever consider it.  Out of the Samburu elders, I liked Carl way more than Frank and wish he had been the one to stick around.  Brandon might have been willing to work with him post-merge instead of Frank.  They had a chance to turn this game around, and Brandon wouldn't do it.  That said, I really liked Brandon.  Clarence, I loved, but for a big buff guy he was a bit of a buffoon.  This was back when I actually liked Tom and Lex (until his 'smoking out the rat'-which was incorrect and got Kelly voted off) but I loved Tom vs Clarence vs Diane in bean-gate.  I'll never forget how chapped Jessie's lips were after only 6 days, but I think that was due to dehydration.  Also, what is it going to take to finally get Kelly Goldsmith back?

This was the last season to feature Bryan Gumbel as host of the reunion show.  I remember that they had everyone dressed exactly as they were out on the final TC (Ethan even had scruff grown back) and Jeff revealed the vote; I actually didn't realize it was live until he got to that last name.  Also, was this the first season not to feature a family visit?  I remember one of the RC was videos sent from home, and it involved some Q&A where they had to match answers.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

The switch was definitely planned. They'd actually planned it in Outback to stop it from feeling the same as Borneo, but then both tribes turned out to be incredibly dynamic so they held it off for a season.

I think this was one of those cases, like the Outcast twist, if it had worked out differently I wouldn't be ready to put my tinfoil hat on.  Especially since Jeff openly said he didn't care for the younger half of the tribe, and if I remember right, they weren't too popular with the viewers, either.  So it worked out for the more popular elders (well, I guess Teresa, because I don't remember Frank being too well liked, either).  Now that I type this out I guess that wasn't really a well liked tribe to begin with.  I never knew that they planned a swap for Outback (I might have enjoyed that season more if they had) but I did hear they had one planned for Palau and then pulled it because of how the season was playing out.  Like I said, it effected the ones I liked most on this season, so maybe that's why I've always been skeptical.  In reality I think the younger Samburus would have gotten picked off at the merge anyway.  Whoever was left, if anyone was left, from the other side of their tribe, they would have flipped, and the youngin's would have still been outnumbered. 

I've always wanted Silas to come back.  I can't help it.  I have a soft spot for him because I really do think he got a bum rap.   I always thought T-Bird and Frank were insanely stupid to throw that challenge to get rid of him.  That may have felt good at the time, but it was more or less cutting off their noses to spite their faces. It did nothing to helpo advance their games.

Brandon too.  Brandon was kinda like a new school player back when it was an old school game.  He was way ahead of his time IMO.

I'm sure Probst is firmly against either coming back.

True story.  When Wentworth was announced for Second Chances, I honestly thought it was Kelly Goldsmith at first.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I just started watching this season over the weekend - I watched the first episode twice. I like it so far. I like the African location. It must be cool to look out and see giraffes running along.  The only person I recognize is Ethan - is he the Ethan of Ethan and Jenna? and weren't they on The Amazing Race? But from reading the above comments, I see that Theresa must be T-Bird but so far I don't remember her. There's also a Kim that I'm wondering is a Kim that you guys have mentioned in the forums.

I thought the bean-gate episode had racist undertones. I can see why people got mad, but once the comments about shooting Clarence were made it sounded really ugly to me. Someone piped up "If you were in the military you would be shot" (which I severely doubt), then Tommy says, "If I had a gun I would shoot you" or something like that. Since the editing didn't show what actually happened back at camp with Diane and Clarence, it's hard to say who lied, but I'm learning toward Clarence's version.

Anyhow, episode 2 tonight!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I just started watching this season over the weekend - I watched the first episode twice. I like it so far. I like the African location. It must be cool to look out and see giraffes running along.  The only person I recognize is Ethan - is he the Ethan of Ethan and Jenna? and weren't they on The Amazing Race? But from reading the above comments, I see that Theresa must be T-Bird but so far I don't remember her. There's also a Kim that I'm wondering is a Kim that you guys have mentioned in the forums.

I thought the bean-gate episode had racist undertones. I can see why people got mad, but once the comments about shooting Clarence were made it sounded really ugly to me. Someone piped up "If you were in the military you would be shot" (which I severely doubt), then Tommy says, "If I had a gun I would shoot you" or something like that. Since the editing didn't show what actually happened back at camp with Diane and Clarence, it's hard to say who lied, but I'm learning toward Clarence's version.

Anyhow, episode 2 tonight!

I'm in the vast minority, but I absolutely love this season.  I hope you do, too.  This season gave me my first ever Survivor crush in Silas (not a man bun, but still had great hair and a beautiful smile).  I've always liked the break from the island locations, and while I get the argument about this locations being dreary and the contestants not really being able to go off and explore because of wild life dangers, I enjoyed the backdrop for the animals alone.  And, it's always nice to see what challenges locations like this can present.

Yes, that is the same Ethan, and Teresa is T-Bird (who has been rumored to return many, many, many times, but I seriously doubt it'll ever happen at this point).  The Kim I often see referenced here is Kim from One World.  The two Kim's on this season didn't seem overly popular or memorable, although it's been so long.  

The thing you mentioned about Clarence and Tom makes me wonder how a situation like that would play out today.  Similar to re-watching Borneo and seeing the comments and jabs about Rich being gay, and then when I watched Thailand and the controversy surrounding Ted/Ghandia with her accusing him of getting fresh during the night (that was way worse than I remember).  If that aired today, I'm not saying they would necessarily present it any differently, but I do think viewer perception and reaction would be.

• Love 1

I watched the second episode the other night. I'm enjoying the season so far. I don't know for sure who won, although I think I know who it is, so it's like watching a brand new season for me. I realized that seasons 1 and 2 did not have immunity idols and I really like that! People have to rely more on their interpersonal skills instead of having idols as crutches to rely on. (Although it takes some skill to know when to play your idol.) I figured Jessie would be the one voted out when she was not drinking water - the plan is to vote out the weak ones until the merge. Tommy is a blowhard - it takes it for granted that Ethan would feel honored to be a part of their alliance, sort of like King Arthur giving a knight a spot at the round table.

Now I know who Theresa (T-Bird) is - I like her, too. I can see the generational divide on her team. Although the impression I got is not that the younger ones are lazy, but they're used to older people making decisions and getting things done, and they're not in that dynamic anymore. LadyChatts, we saw more of Silas this episode. I can see why you like him!

I am almost done watching this season for the first time, and I actually like it quite a bit. One big reason is the wildlife is really a major part of the story, moreso than in any other season I can remember (I have not seen them all yet). Watching the contestants awake at night listening to lions right outside the bramble, talking about how every instinct makes them want to run but there is nowhere to go - I can’t imagine anything like that. Walking along and encountering a water buffalo much too close for comfort. Every episode has incredible shots of the animals. I understand why they are not changing locations often any more, but honestly after  watching this season and Australia, it makes me sad because the location and environment can become as much a part of the show as the game and contestants.

• Love 9

I saw the vast majority of this season but I never saw the entire season (Same goes for seasons 4 and 5.  Season 6 was my first season and I bought seasons 1 and two on DVD).  From what I saw of this season (until YouTube took it down) I really enjoyed it.  Tom's reaction to remembering Ethan is Jewish and therefore cannot eat ham is still hilarious to me.

• Love 2

I just rewatched this.  I remembered some people, and I had kind of remembered who won, but I really did not remember any details, so it was fun to watch it again.  I thought some of the reward challenges were so interesting.  I think the castaways, on this season, really had a unique experience, compared to all the tropical Island locales.  

I remember I used to pay attention to where they were, but I don't anymore.  

The games changes and evolves and so does how I view it.  

I do miss how they used to talk a lot more about the culture of the area.  

I am glad they no longer do a recap show.  I had forgotten they used to do that too.  I always hated recap week.  Ugh!  Well, I skipped that episode.  

I was amused how they wanted to make it look like they were still in Africa when they read the votes for the winner.  lol  Cute.  

I am not a fan of the family visits, but this video thing they did in Africa was fun.  

I know this is not a favorite season for a lot of people.  But I thoroughly enjoyed binge watching it, over the past few days.  

It is funny to watch the challenges and not have Jeff's color commentary.  lol  I enjoyed watching them and  not having to hear the play by play.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, mishap said:

I am glad they no longer do a recap show.  I had forgotten they used to do that too.  I always hated recap week. 

That was a function of the show originally airing on Thursdays.  And there's that one Thursday at the end of November which is always problematic for TV ratings, except for NBC in the morning.  So they scheduled the mid-season recap episode specifically for that day.  That way, nothing important got aired when the ratings were absolutely going to be reduced.  But for the die-hards that did watch, at least there was often new footage that hadn't been shown before, so it wasn't a waste of their time.  (Those kinds of clips are now the Secret Scenes that get put on YouTube or All Access.)

Since Survivor now airs on Wednesdays, that's no longer a concern.  Nor is the NCAA college basketball tournament, which also takes precedence on Thursdays and Fridays in March. 

• Love 1

This season originally aired during my sophomore year of college, and we always had a huge crowd to reserve our floor’s TV lounge to watch it.

Kelly Goldsmith has always been near the very top of my list of players I’d like to see return; knowing that she’s been in the mix a couple of times, I still hold out hope that she’d at least make the final ballot for another fan-voted Second Chances season.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, omophagia said:

This season originally aired during my sophomore year of college, and we always had a huge crowd to reserve our floor’s TV lounge to watch it.

Kelly Goldsmith has always been near the very top of my list of players I’d like to see return; knowing that she’s been in the mix a couple of times, I still hold out hope that she’d at least make the final ballot for another fan-voted Second Chances season.

Kelly to this day remains one of my all time favorite Survivor players.  And it's frustrating that she's nearly returned 3 times, only to be an alternative to someone who quit (no offense to Jenna but I never thought she should have played AS in the first place with her mom being that sick), being replaced for HvsV (after she gave up a job I believe), and then not finding anyone to play with her for BvsW.  I don't know if she was in consideration for SC or not.  Last I heard she was working at a university and was married with young kids, so maybe SC wasn't in the cards for her.  I'd love nothing more than to see her return.   

Casting Kelly G. for a return might be problematic as she worked for CBS for a time after her season.  She was a casting associate and helped to cast several Survivors.

For CBS to re-cast a former member of their casting department might be a conflict of interest or something.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, UncleChuck said:

Casting Kelly G. for a return might be problematic as she worked for CBS for a time after her season. 

For the same reason, I don't think we'll ever see Tammy Leitner from Marquesas again. She's an NBC News correspondent now, but she worked for CBS News for several years. Not that it matters, probably; she hasn't expressed an interest in returning and no one is clamoring for a Tammy return anyway.