Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, boes said:

Petunia13, how is George?  What does the vet say?

Ninja, that's still how I look at baked goods.   That's about the only thing from those days that are the same as now.

Peaches, that couch was scratchy!  I found those draperies when I was getting the contents of the house ready for auction back in 2000.  My mother had packed them away carefully.  They looked good even after 40 years.

My gran's draperies were destroyed by birds while my grandparents were vacationing in Puerto Rico. The birds got in some how (the chimney?) and just went nuts in the house. And yes, that sofa was scratchy as shit. IIRC it was either green or a pinkish brown.

14 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Poor George. Much love and good thoughts for him.

Boes, I know that look. I've undressed many a cake with my eyes. 

And you know, now that I think about it, a lot of the furniture I remember from childhood was scratchy...

And tasted weird. ;)

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

And you know, now that I think about it, a lot of the furniture I remember from childhood was scratchy...

I remember plastic being a big thing that everyone put on couches in the 80s/early 90s when I would visit my dad's side of the family. Scratchy would've been an improvement. ;)

And many hugs and good vibes for George as well *hugs*

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Get well soon, George!

He's pretty much back to normal. I wonder if my ridiculous schedule is wrecking havoc on him emotionally and health wise ...I had been working 70 hrs or so a week since October. 

also when I am working he stays  at my moms place (she is coo coo. She was in a manic phase last week so all the money and time I spent on Christmas was basically wasted)

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

He's pretty much back to normal. I wonder if my ridiculous schedule is wrecking havoc on him emotionally and health wise ...I had been working 70 hrs or so a week since October. 

also when I am working he stays  at my moms place (she is coo coo. She was in a manic phase last week so all the money and time I spent on Christmas was basically wasted)

Jewel will probably back me up on this as we both have experience working with animals. Animals can pick up on human neurosis. They are sensitive to our moods and emotions. If your mom is being all twirly and chaotic, George is being influenced by that. It could make him anxious, frightened and confused. I hope the new year brings you a less stressful work schedule and you can spend some time keeping him in safety and comfort, I bet he will be feeling better.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Jewel will probably back me up on this as we both have experience working with animals. Animals can pick up on human neurosis. They are sensitive to our moods and emotions. If your mom is being all twirly and chaotic, George is being influenced by that. It could make him anxious, frightened and confused. I hope the new year brings you a less stressful work schedule and you can spend some time keeping him in safety and comfort, I bet he will be feeling better.

Yup, animals are super sensitive to energy around them. Especially birds. If I'm stressed or angry, Steve seems to sense it and starts being super annoying and screechy. Vets will ask if there is anything stressful going on at home when an animal starts acting out. I remember once asking the vet if he was referring to me or Steve. He said both, heh.

• Love 9

Okay, so now Debbie Fisher has been admitted to hospital. No word on the reason at my end. ?

In absolute agreement about animals. My mastiff has been glued to my side since my mother passed away. When I get teary , he comes and leans on me in a hug. Then he stays right beside me. Now he swears I actually gave birth to him which makes him a clingon at the best of times but Mr. Patsy can tell by the dog's behaviour that I've had a "moment" when he walks in the door. Don't listen to anyone who says animals can't feel. 

Edited by PatsyandEddie
  • Love 12
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why can't the 2016 reaper take out some bad people?

13 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Well, it got rid of Jack Chick and Castro, so this wasn't a complete trash year.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And Phyllis Schlafly and Scalia.

See Ya'. Wouldn't Want To Be Ya'.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Day 3 Boes Birthdayfest!

9d184528ea63122e8b7fd115e7ea513c.jpg

3 hours ago, pearlite said:

Hey, that's Toronto's own Percy Saltzman--Canada's first TV weather-person!

This is why you're all the best Trivia team evah!

Day 4 Boes-stavaganza Birthday Week gallops on!

carlton-happy-birthdayca9e0.gif

Carlton stopped by with cake and recited quotations from The Red Book.

• Love 6

Apropos of nothing, just had to share, Laughing with tears running down my face:

tell you kids, back in my day, we had it so rough... or so much better, i can't tell anymore. anyway, every day, we would wake up at 2 in the morning and go to the table for breakfast. we all lived in a closet, you see, so it was one room. and we would ask, me and my 64 brothers and 27 sisters, "what's for breakfast mum?". she would smack us all with a shoe and say "cold beans". and if we complained and said "but we had cold beans yesterday" - because we had cold beans every day - she would smack us all five times with a shoe and say "tough its all we can afford. i'm trying to feed a family of 93 with just half a silver buckington", a silver buckington was about the same as half a penny back in the day. then we would head to school. we met up with the johnson kids from down the road, and walked the 1674 miles to school. on the way to school, we had to walk up a mountain so tall it extended to outer space. when we got to the top of the mountain, we would see the peterson boys on their fancy bikes - which they dont make like they used to, and we would race them down the mountain. then, when we got to school at 4 in the morning, the headmaster would come up to us and say "you bloody kids are late", then he would smack us all with the cane 10 times and tell us we had 7 years of detention. then, we went to class, and mr stevenson would say "ok line up kids", then he would spank us each 60 times, then hit us each with the cane 40 times each. then it was 7 at night and we had to walk home. then, when we got home, we'd ask "whats for dinner mum?", and she'd smack us each 50 times with a pan and say "rotten cabage". and if we complained, she would smack us each 100 times with a broom and say "im trying to feed a family of 154 on just one islet sliver, just you wait until your dad gets home" - now an islet silver was worth about as much as a grain of sand. then, when our dad got home from his job at the soot factory, he would hit us all 180 times with his belt. if we had been naughty, we would hit us all another 600 times. then, at 1:58, mum would say "ok time for bed". then, we got into our potato sacks, and she would hit us each with a shoe 8 times before we went to sleep. on saturdays, we went down to uncle bob's farm to work. we would have to walk 345 miles to the bus stop, then catch the route 4 bus for 56 stops. we would get on the bus and pay our fare of 3 teddy roses - now a teddy rose is worth about the same as a flake of skin. then, if the ticket inspector came to us, he would hit us all 4 times with his baton. if any of us had lost our ticket, we would hit us all 10 times again and throw us off the bus and we had to walk the rest of the way. when we got to the farm, uncle bob would drive to the gate in his tractor, hit us all 780 times with his crowbar, and tell us to get in his trailer so he could drive us to the farm house. then, we had to plow the fields with a toothbrush in the blazing summer heat - now, they dont make summers like they used to, so it was about 1345.4 degrees spencer, or 67 degrees centigrade using your new-fangled metric system. then, we would have to milk the cows - now, they dont make cows like they used to, so each cow weighed about 459 hog's heads, or 3.2 tonnes in your new-fangled metric system. if you touched a cows udder, it would kick you and you would die, so you had to be really careful when you milked the cows. then, when we were done, uncle bob would say "ok kids time for your pocket money". he would give us each 9 copper jemimahs - which are worth about one political promise each - and beat us each 6 times with his tractor before we left. on sundays, we would meet the johnson boys and go down to the river - now, they don't make rivers like they used to, so this river was about as wide as the whole of america, and as deep as the marianas trench, and it was filled with liquid tungsten. we would play by the old oak tree near the river, climbing on it and building tree houses and such. now - they don't make trees like they used to, so this tree had a trunk as thick as a city, and was tall enough that the branches on the top could scrape the moon. one day, little jimmy fell from the top of the tree. when he hit the ground, the only bit of his body we could recognise was his left eyeball. we picked up all his bits and rushed him to the doctors surgery. dr james said "oh its just a scratch little jimmy dont worry pop a plaster on it and you'll be right" and he gave little jimmy a plaster and a lollipop and he was ok. after we finished playing by the river, we would go into town and get some candy. now, back in the day, you could give the shopkeeper one bronze winglet - which is worth about as much as a ciggarette butt - and he would give you the entire stock of the store. so we would go and get our candy, and we'd go into the town square and eat it. now, we didn't have any of your fancy food laws back in the day, so there was all kinds of stuff in our candy. bleach, lsd, ecstasy, you name it. so we would always get a little hyper after our candy. one day, when we were hyper, we went up the mr boris's car, the only car in the town, and touched it. as we touched it, we saw dad storming down the street holding his belt. "you kids, having fun while i work all day in the soot factory just so you can have grilled water for tea every night, i oughta smack you all". we were sure he was going to smack us, but then he said "no, i got a better idea, ill take you to see mr henderson, he'll set ya right". now, dad had told us about mr henderson. mr henderson was a veteran from the great war, where he got a really bad injury, but we never knew what it was. dad walked us all down to the pub, and we saw a left testicle propped up on a pegleg. "mr henderson," said dad, "i have some kids here who need a good whooping". then, mr henderson picked up the entire pub, and hit us each 4006 times with it. then, dad said "right, i gotta go back to the soot factory, you kids run on home now". now, by now it was 1pm, which meant it was curfew. while we were walking out of the town square, we heard a man shout "oi you bloody kids, its curfew". we turned around and saw the constable holding his baton. he hit us each 160265 times with his baton, then put us in gaol for 60123865 years. now - they don't make gaols like they used to - this one had 5 mile thick steel walls, and a single hole in the top let in some light. we were in there for about 13526 years, until mum baked the constable some cardboard pie so he would let us out. then, she hit us all 1292 times with a washboard, and grounded us for the rest of our lives. so don't you come complaining to me about nonsense like not playing in dirt or broken glass, pathetic

Credit: Redditer PulpyCola

• Love 8

Blow off the Crowning ... er, Inauguration of Hair Gropenführer ...

We have a phenomenal Boes-gasm Birthday party planned on the Lido Deck TONIGHT!!!!

As always, it's formal dress

tumblr_inline_n2lptvLF7I1re1pez.gif

There's an open bar and non-stop catering, graciously sponsored by the Boes family ... Who knew skimming credit cards was so easy?

We have the New and Improved Hip Thrusting Contest ... The ruler has been recalibrated for vertical and horizontal measuring, so let your Spanx and Manx do the work! A separate Twerking category has been added, due to popular demand.

tumblr_m8ko2xDmzR1qdg6eqo1_500_large.gif  tumblr_mtfrmgjf1q1rlcyhyo1_250.gif

Appetizers and drinks at 7:30 PM and Dinner served at 8:30.

Dress to the nines and celebrate Boes 21st Birthday ... again.

I'll be wearing stripes ... so we don't clash.

party.gif

Be there, or be octagonal!

Dagnabbit! Who guessed Boes age!

143316.jpg

When you light that hot mess, keep it away from the crepe paper decorations or we'll blow up like Deepwater Horizon!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 14

Ugh, CS. My head fell off, rolled away and now I can't find it.

25 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Happy 2017, Preverts!!!

It damn well better be, because 2016 sssuuuuuuuucked.

I'm not holding a lot of hope. We are going to have a thin skinned, pig ignorant seventy year old toddler in the white house. It's going to hurt a lot of people. 

But mustn't grumble. All the best to my darling Preverts, we will keep each other strong! Now I'm off to make chili, pico de gallo and of course onion dip for tonight. Think if I'm feeling ambitious later, I will make cream puffs. Love and ((((hugs)))) everybody!

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

IMG_1343.PNG

On a related note:

http://www.theonion.com/infographic/how-talk-your-child-about-election-results-54671

Here’s some advice for talking to your child about the shocking outcome of the 2016 presidential election:

Children often understand more than we think, so start off by asking them if they have any idea what the fuck is happening.

Put their mind at ease by confirming that the results of this election aren’t the end of the world in any strictly literal sense.

Don’t be afraid to openly share your wine with them.

Avoid touching on any topic that might be distressing to a young child, such as the electoral college.

Reassure them that no matter what, the adults in their life will always feel obligated to tell them everything’s going to be all right.

Explain that testosterone is a naturally occurring steroid hormone that makes a person more aggressive and reactive.

Remind them that one day when they’re older, they’ll understand all of this a lot better and will get to decide for themselves whether or not they should forgive us.

Acquaint your daughter with the word “motherfucker” to equip her for what lies ahead.

If they have additional questions, direct them to your Twitter feed.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 8

I can only hope that 2017 will not be as bad as I think it could be.  Canadian Preverts, I envy you.

I do wish for all things bright and beautiful for everyone here in 2017!  Happy New Year!

• Love 10

Well I fucked up my mini cream puffs. Put twice as much butter as you are supposed to. So I tossed 'em in a bag of powdered sugar and I'm calling them cookies. They actually aren't bad. Happy New Year, you crazy kids! Imma go drink champagne with DH.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, CS. My head fell off, rolled away and now I can't find it.

Do you know how many times you've misplaced your head after a lively night of Rob Roy's, whiffle ball and thong snapping? Lucky for you I can't count that high ...

Your head is next to the wig stand on your dresser ... Now, your Ava Gabor wig was last seen with your garter belt and rhinestone earrings at the craps table; crosby777 was crazy lucky and broke the bank last night. I was on a roll, winning back my Night of a Thousand Stevie's chiffon skirt and lucky chicken cutlets, when the fire department showed up ... Mmmm, firemen ... They're so strong!

10 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Happy 2017, Preverts!!!

It damn well better be, because 2016 sssuuuuuuuucked.

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm not holding a lot of hope. We are going to have a thin skinned, pig ignorant seventy year old toddler in the white house. It's going to hurt a lot of people. 

But mustn't grumble. All the best to my darling Preverts, we will keep each other strong! Now I'm off to make chili, pico de gallo and of course onion dip for tonight. Think if I'm feeling ambitious later, I will make cream puffs. Love and ((((hugs)))) everybody!

790067.jpg

“Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them.”
– Jean-Paul Sartre

Keep yourself informed and do not capitulate. Defend the Republic from Neo-Fascist extremism and racist populism. Create a phone tree with likeminded friends and neighbors, then call your Congressional representatives and Senators and don't stop; phone calls from constituents scare them and they act accordingly.

A toast to all the Preverts ... A better 2017, with a long life of inappropriate commentary, krazy speculation and utterly mad conversation. I need friends like you around in case Hell grades on a curve.

Happy New Year!

drink-champagne-toast-animated-gif.gif

Edited by Cupid Stunt
Can't spell with drink in both hands.
  • Love 10

happy new year preverts..<3

so, last night dh and i were going to have crab and wild rice and herbs (pkg mix)..i ended up burning the rice cause i forgot i turned the burner up..anyway, this morning i was trying to clean the burned bottom of pot and i got a lot by using a scrubbing pad but there was still burned stuff that wouldn't come off..last time it happened i had some langostina stainless steel cleaner and that worked not to bad but this time i was out of it.. so, good ole google came in handy.  

you put some water in the bottom of the pot, add 1 cup of vinegar and bring to a boil.  then, you add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to it and let it sit and cool off...  when cooled, dump water and scrub again and it comes off...it is sparkling clean now.  oh i also used an sos pad to scrub with..

also, as i found out, you need to have the hot pot over the sink when you add the soda cause it bubbles up over the top of the pot...

tonight, it's baked ham and scalloped potatoes...

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

happy new year preverts..<3

so, last night dh and i were going to have crab and wild rice and herbs (pkg mix)..i ended up burning the rice cause i forgot i turned the burner up..anyway, this morning i was trying to clean the burned bottom of pot and i got a lot by using a scrubbing pad but there was still burned stuff that wouldn't come off..last time it happened i had some langostina stainless steel cleaner and that worked not to bad but this time i was out of it.. so, good ole google came in handy.  

you put some water in the bottom of the pot, add 1 cup of vinegar and bring to a boil.  then, you add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to it and let it sit and cool off...  when cooled, dump water and scrub again and it comes off...it is sparkling clean now.  oh i also used an sos pad to scrub with..

also, as i found out, you need to have the hot pot over the sink when you add the soda cause it bubbles up over the top of the pot...

tonight, it's baked ham and scalloped potatoes...

I've done that too. I ended up soaking the pan in bleach and that worked. We're having nachos and guac with home made pico de gallo. Tomorrow it's back to healthy eating. Happy New Year!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
On 2016-12-27 at 2:46 PM, boes said:

Rotten, rotten news about Carrie Fisher.  The last I'd heard was that she was stablized and improving.  Fuck it is right.

Thanks for the birthday week wishes!!  I should be ready to "eschew" (love those word-a-day calendars!) any more dessert, but I got started early on the road to sugar overload....

Ronnie%20and%20his%20birthday%20cake.jpg

(oh so long ago)

But this year I'm going for a deep dish apple pie from this German bakery out here.  It's been ordered to pick up on Thursday morning.

Wish I could share it with all of you!

OMG @boes!!!!!!! I want to bite those chubby cheeks. ❤❤❤ 

I am going to picture this beautiful baby boy penning your magnificent posts from now on!!!!! Happy belated birthday!!!

Happy holidays to all!!!!! Sorry I haven't been posting. Show is stupid af to me lately - I think under Pratt it was bad on so many levels I didn't focus on the shitty script writing. Now the conversations are glaringly bad. I hope Sally hires a new crew of writers fast. Until then I'm watching Netflix.

Cheers to 2017!!!!

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

My mom and some of my coworkers are really testing me right now. It's a challenge being a considerate and sane person surrounded by irrational assholes. 

I know the feeling. 

There's a reason I left the Navy..I can deal with assholes, and I can deal with having every aspect of my life controlled by work, but I cannot do both at once.

I hope it gets better, soon.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

good gravy, just watching the view and i really can not stand that jedediah bela...

going to have to invest in a nerf brick to throw at my tv when she's on..

I haven't watched the View since Baba Wawa left. Who or what is a Jedediah Bela?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I haven't watched the View since Baba Wawa left. Who or what is a Jedediah Bela?

she's one of the "conservative co-hosts" on the show..

they were talking about planned parenthood being defunded and she thought that was great cause she still believes those DEBUNKED FALSE VIDEOS are true....most of her "'views" i find eye rolling.

• Love 7