Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

Thanx! I had to watch! I have a love/hate relationship with squirrels. I hate when they destroy my flowers! Other than that, they're adorbs.

Same here. I must have planted at least ten thousand tulip bulbs in the forty some years I've lived in this house and the damn squirrels get them every time.

• Love 5

Yup. And they break the heads off my tulips, my one precious little peony plant which had 5 buds this year, the most ever. Anything that gets one flower or is special... And they don't even eat them!!!!

Oh jeez, one year I watched a squirrel pick a jalapeno and then half bury it in the backyard, the top half was sticking up above ground. Idiot!!!

• LOL 6

Well the news on Steve is there is no news on Steve. 

I haven't heard back from the vet regarding his cultures. I also had sent an email over a week ago with a photo of his toys and which were safe to give. Again, nothing but radio silence. The techs suggested removing all the toys until I heard back from the vet. 

Birds without toys can get bored and develop behavior issues including screaming and plucking. Steve was bored and starting to scream so I gave him back 4 toys, none with any cotton threads or ropes or fibers. He was still bored and mostly attacking the toys out of anger. 

So two days ago I gave him back his favourite toy. It's a stuffed tube filled with crinkly coloured paper. As soon as he saw it he started letting out little chirps. He then climbed out of his cage and stood on top of it where I had attached his toy. He started to hop along the top of the cage and bob his head. Then the wings started to move away from his body to form a heart shape from behind. And then he started to whistle and eventually sing to it with his forehead resting against it. It was really cute. I just hope it's safe to give to him. 

Steve finishes his antibiotics on Friday. I was supposed to go to my mom's last weekend to celebrate my birthday but that has been pushed back until this upcoming weekend. 

Steve starting being a bit more active around day 6 of his antibiotic treatment and has flown a couple of times since then. His weight is fluctuating around the 79-81 gram range. 

• Love 8

Steve starting being a bit more active around day 6 of his antibiotic treatment and has flown a couple of times since then. His weight is fluctuating around the 79-81 gram range. 

Such good news but nerve wracking not hearing from the vet.

• Love 7
On 5/28/2021 at 8:37 AM, SweePea59 said:

Yup. And they break the heads off my tulips, my one precious little peony plant which had 5 buds this year, the most ever. Anything that gets one flower or is special... And they don't even eat them!!!!

Oh jeez, one year I watched a squirrel pick a jalapeno and then half bury it in the backyard, the top half was sticking up above ground. Idiot!!!

At our house it's the sunflowers. So we thought we would be smart and plant them away from the fence or the deck. Doesn't matter they still get them!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Did it get away? 

Yes! It flew off! And he could tell for smell it wasn't a mouse (he has this instinct chip in his brain like he hatesssss nice and rats, it's bred into Yorkies for a century. If he smells one, sees one he goes bonkers & he's caught and shook the shit out of one before outside). This one he didn't want to rip in half or even bite 

It looked just like a mouse & hunched up still and breathing hard. My dumbass went to the dollar tree and bought a towel and oil. (George was in car at this point) The way it was hunched up and not running away it looked like it physically couldn't then I wondered if he had something on its paws like glue pinning it by the wall. I grabbed it w towel and i was  nervous I didn't get it. The second time he slipped to edge ans rubbery wings came out and he laid there like "gah dammit" then he flew off big ass wings out 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Yes! It flew off! And he could tell for smell it wasn't a mouse (he has this instinct chip in his brain like he hatesssss nice and rats, it's bred into Yorkies for a century. If he smells one, sees one he goes bonkers & he's caught and shook the shit out of one before outside). This one he didn't want to rip in half or even bite 

It looked just like a mouse & hunched up still and breathing hard. My dumbass went to the dollar tree and bought a towel and oil. (George was in car at this point) The way it was hunched up and not running away it looked like it physically couldn't then I wondered if he had something on its paws like glue pinning it by the wall. I grabbed it w towel and i was  nervous I didn't get it. The second time he slipped to edge ans rubbery wings came out and he laid there like "gah dammit" then he flew off big ass wings out 

Jebus. Did I ever tell the story of the night there was a bat in our house?

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Jebus. Did I ever tell the story of the night there was a bat in our house?

You have to tell me. 

also why was this damn thing out at like 8am and kicking it on the ground? Then even let us close (me grab him w towel) then flew off fast AF like Dracula's nephew? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

You have to tell me. 

also why was this damn thing out at like 8am and kicking it on the ground? Then even let us close (me grab him w towel) then flew off fast AF like Dracula's nephew? 

I was worried about that. They don't usually come out in the day time unless they're sick. I didn't want George to catch anything!

Bat story:

Setting the stage:

One fine summer night, I was sitting in my bedroom comforting a dear friend who was having trouble with his crazy mom (we were both in high school). My dad was out of town and my mom was upstairs, asleep

Now to lay the land:

My parents house was U shaped with a courtyard in the middle. My room on the first floor, on the east side and my parents room was upstairs on the west side. I could see the upstairs windows from my room. 

The story:

So, my buddy and I are sitting there talking, smoking pot and being quiet, when I see the upstairs lights go on. "Hmm" I say to my friend "I better go check this out". So I go out through the house, across the entry, into the living room and say loudly "Mom! You OK?" and she says "I think there's something in the house." Alright, I go up the stairs and into her room, She 's stand there looking freaked out and I said I'd go take a look around. As I'm walking around, something flutters by my face. "Wow, the moths are really big this year" I go back up to my mom's room and tell her there's nothing down there. As I turn to go back downstairs, I see it. The bat is hanging from the paneled wall of the stairwell. "Eek!" I squeal and slam the door. We're wondering what the hell to do and I get the  bright idea to call the cops. I mean, I reason, they're up anyway, aren't they? 

In the meantime my friend has gotten curious. For some reason he decides to get on the roof of the detached garage. I guess he figured he could see into the upstairs from there. I saw him and frantically waved at him to get away but thought I was kidding or something so he stays put.

Mom calls the cops and pretty soon they show up. As they pull into the driveway, my pal, seeing them is horrified to think we called them on him so he leaps off the garage into the gully next to the house.

The cop, unfazed, comes to the front door and knocks. I lean out the upstairs window and inform him that there is no way in hell we're coming down to let him in and I throw him a towel. I explain to him my long, treasured, secret way to break into the French doors in the courtyard and off he goes, gun drawn.

He came in in, opened all the doors and windows, waved the towel around and said he was pretty sure the thing had flown away. He leaves and mom and I go down and close the doors and windows.

And that is the bat story.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

@Jewel -- It sounds like Steve needed stimulation from a favorite toy to cheer him up -- You both have had a tough couple of days.

3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Perhaps it flew into a window/building and was stunned from the impact.

• Love 6

Menopause Rhapsody - Bohemian Rhapsody Parody Song for every Queen

The Beatles - Rooftop Concert (1969)

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - Blue On Black

Mazzy Star - Bells Ring (MTV Live 1994)

The Sexican - Cuarto de la Banda

Bee Gees - Massachusetts

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son

Fanny - Ain't That Peculiar

Massive Attack ~ Bela Lugosi's Dead

Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Friends of A Smile

Stevie Ray Vaughan ,rare Gibson L1, maybe 1929, acoustic guitar solo, . 1983

Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike

Hamish Anderson - Morning Light

The Heavy - How You Like Me Now?

Rosi Golan - Been A Long Day

The Box Tops - The Letter

Johnny Dynamite & The Bloodsuckers - Bats In The Woods

Buddy Holly & The Crickets "Peggy Sue" on The Ed Sullivan Show

The Hollies - Look Through Any Window

Cream - Tales of Brave Ulysses

Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World

Them - Baby Please Don't Go

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues - Live at San Quentin

Macy Gray - Real

Badfinger - Baby Blue

Steve Earle & The Dukes - I Ain't Ever Satisfied

Longest-exposure-image-edit2.jpg

Longest known exposure photograph ever captured using a beer can

This pinhole solargraph, taken using a beer can pinhole camera over a period of eight years and one month, is thought to be the longest exposure image ever made. The photo shows the path of the Sun across the sky over that time period, almost 3000 trails in all. Regina Valkenborgh set the camera up in 2012 and then forgot about it; it was found by someone else December 2020. Said Valkenborgh of the project:

“It was a stroke of luck that the picture was left untouched, to be saved by David after all these years. I had tried this technique a couple of times at the Observatory before, but the photographs were often ruined by moisture and the photographic paper curled up. I hadn’t intended to capture an exposure for this length of time and to my surprise, it had survived. It could be one of, if not the, longest exposures in existence.”

How to Make a DIY Solargraphy Pinhole Camera for 6-Month Exposures

• Love 6

That's smart. You're right the bat probably flew into the window or wall. He was lying there folded up tense super still a good 20 mins and me grab him before flapping off me the flying like banshee. He was probably stunned or knocked.

a s long as the basterd doesn't have rabies or some disease. George smelled his ass 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

That's smart. You're right the bat probably flew into the window or wall. He was lying there folded up tense super still a good 20 mins and me grab him before flapping off me the flying like banshee. He was probably stunned or knocked.

a s long as the basterd doesn't have rabies or some disease. George smelled his ass 

As long as George's vaccinations are up-to-date and no skin was broken, he should be fine. But if you're concerned, it can't hurt to visit the vet.

• Love 3

My bat story....have two but this is the creepiest.  Years ago at the shop (old building, built in 1870's and leaked like a sieve draft-wise in the winter) I was cleaning up in front where the hats were.  Had this really cool old wood slat Shaker-like baby bassinet/carrier (no legs) that I kept hats in.  Went to pick up the basket (which I hadn't moved in over a year) and there was a bat splayed out under it!  It let out a screech/scream that still chills me to the bone when I think of it.  It was sick or stunned or something so I grabbed a hat and scooped him up, took him outside.  Put him on the ground out back and threw the hat in the dumpster.  How that thing got under the basket still mystifies me.  It was pretty heavy and had a large wood base.  Hadn't noticed any bats around either.

• Love 3

I swear, if I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all. 

So for almost two weeks I've been obsessively checking my email/phone for news from the vet.

Yesterday I saw a missed call from a private caller and a voicemail. 

I go to check the voicemail but my phone has been acting up lately and won't dial out. It won't connect. It keeps hanging up on me. Finally, I access my VM only to hear a beep and then the old 'press 9 to save the message, press 7 to delete.' THERE WAS NO MESSAGE. 

So I delete, and finally around 8:30 PM I call my vet because I'm getting annoyed and it's been 12 days since my visit. 

Turns out they did get the cultures and he did call me and leave me a voicemail. But, as I explained to the receptionist, I didn't get any message. So the vet isn't there, the receptionist doesn't understand his findings, and the techs say it's better for him to call me. So I should hear back either today or tomorrow. 

However, I was going to go to my mom's after work tomorrow to celebrate my birthday which was last week. But now, depending on the news and if Steve needs more meds, different meds, or to continue the current meds, I might not be able to go since no one can give him said meds. 

Grrr. I hope nothing is too serious but I'm also completely frustrated. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

Oh jewel21, that's so rough. Hang in there. Hope for the best. Take deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth, 2 counts longer out than in.

Happy Birthday?

Oh yeah, BTW, mercury is retrograde. So expect delays and communication problems. Sorry.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

Oh jewel21, that's so rough. Hang in there. Hope for the best. Take deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth, 2 counts longer out than in.

Happy Birthday?

Oh yeah, BTW, mercury is retrograde. So expect delays and communication problems. Sorry.

Well that explains a lot. Why is mercury always in retrograde?

Thanks for the birthday wishes *hugs*

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Who is George's little friend?

Eli! And they love to wrestle. He loves when George pins him or tosses him around then they roll around like those old school comics when it's just a cloud and weird symbols like a hashtag or exclamation point would be shooting out. Ans then Eli signature move is to grab one of George's arms and pretend to bite up & down it like a corn on the cob. 

his other good friend Macaroni moved away because that family had financial crisis from pandemic : (  he was so so sad they were crazy about each other. But then met Eli at the park and they play a lot. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Eli! And they love to wrestle. He loves when George pins him or tosses him around then they roll around like those old school comics when it's just a cloud and weird symbols like a hashtag or exclamation point would be shooting out. Ans then Eli signature move is to grab one of George's arms and pretend to bite up & down it like a corn on the cob. 

his other good friend Macaroni moved away because that family had financial crisis from pandemic : (  he was so so sad they were crazy about each other. But then met Eli at the park and they play a lot. 

That sounds like so much fun. I miss having two cats because they would play all the time.

• Love 8

Donkey on the run in same town that dealt with runaway steer

Today would be Prince's 63rd Birthday

Prince & The Revolution, with Sheila E -- Romance 1600, 1985 -- Oakland, California

WEJNHQ2C7BHPZMXH4H42Y777YI.jpeg

Photo Courtesy Matthew Raifman

Father swan on Boston’s Esplanade spotted caring for cygnets following death of mother swan

Clarence Williams III, ‘The Mod Squad’s’ Linc, dies at 81

Clarence Williams III, who played the cool undercover cop Linc Hayes on the counterculture series “The Mod Squad” and Prince’s father in “Purple Rain,” has died. He was 81.

Williams died Friday at his home in Los Angeles after a battle with colon cancer, his manager Allan Mindel said Sunday. Tributes came quickly on social media from both those who worked with Williams and those who admired him for his trailblazing roles and impactful performances.

“Tales from the Hood” director Rusty Cundieff tweeted that his sadness over Williams’ passing, “cannot be overstated. His artistry and sheer coolness was extraordinary. I will forever be in his debt for his brilliant performance in Tales From the Hood. Loved working with him! Blessed travels good sir!”

Lenny Kravitz wrote on Twitter, “When I was a kid growing up in NYC Clarence Williams III was a face on TV that I identified with and that inspired me. From the Mod Squad, to Purple Rain and Sugar Hill, he always performed with dynamic energy. Rest in power, king.”

Director Peyton Reed tweeted that he worked with Williams on the TV movie “The Love Bug” in 1995.

“I had grown up watching him as Linc in ‘The Mod Squad’ and thought he was the epitome of cool. Turns out he was. Rest In Peace, Clarence,” Reed wrote.

A native of New York, Williams career spanned over five decades in theater, television and film. He was born into a creative family in 1939 and raised by his musical grandparents. His grandfather was a jazz composer and pianist, his father a musician and his mother, Eva Taylor, a singer and actress. He got his acting start on Broadway after a stint as a paratrooper and received a Tony nomination for his role in William Hanley’s “Slow Dance on the Killing Ground” in 1964.

His breakout role would come with “The Mod Squad,” which he led with Peggy Lipton and Michael Cole. Bill Cosby had seen Williams perform and told Aaron Spelling he should consider him for the role of Linc. The show ran from on ABC from 1968 through 1973. A trailblazing show for attempting to portray the hippie generation of the time, “The Mod Squad” was a star-maker for all three. But roles were not quick to follow for Williams.

He appeared on Broadway opposite Maggie Smith in Tom Stoppard’s “Night and Day” in 1979 before getting cast as the troubled father in “Purple Rain,” which came out in 1984.

Director John Frankenheimer would become a frequent collaborator. They first teamed up for his adaptation of Elmore Leonard’s “52 Pick-Up” at a time when Williams was not having much luck in Hollywood and crashing on Cosby’s couch to keep a roof over his head.

“He asked me to read for the part of one of the blackmailers, but after only four lines, he told me to stop,” Williams recalled in a 1999 interview. “I thought it was all over, but he said, ‘Have your agent call me. It will be a 10-week shoot. Thank you for coming in.’ That was it.”

Williams also appeared in Frankenheimer’s “Against the Wall,” “Reindeer Games” and some episodes of “Tales from the Crypt.”

Williams could command a variety of genres, including comedy. He played a drug lord opposite Dave Chappelle in “Half Baked” and stole scenes in Keenen Ivory Wayans’ blaxploitation parody film “I’m Gonna Git You Sucka.” He also had a recurring role as the FBI agent in David Lynch’s “Twin Peaks” who tells Agent Cooper he’s been suspended.

Other film roles included “Tales from the Hood,” “Deep Cover,” “Sugar Hill, “The General’s Daughter,” Lee Daniels’ “The Butler” and an uncredited role in “American Gangster.” And he had many, many television appearances on everything from “Miami Vice” and “Hill Street Blues” to “Everybody Hates Chris” and “Justified.”

He was married to the actress Gloria Foster from 1967 to 1984.

Williams never fretted over his longtime association with “The Mod Squad,” though.

“All most people know about me is the two hours they’ve invested in a movie theater or the time spent in front of their TV,” he said in an interview in 1999. “There’s so much entertainment out there right now, it’s difficult to break through and become part of the national consciousness. It’s nice to be recognized, and I have no problem with it at all.”

-- Lindsey Bahr

• Love 4

I loved him on The Mod Squad. He was the level headed one, while Peggy Lipton was the cool one and Michael Cole was the hot head. I hope in his honor Decades TV does one the their weekend long marathons. They used to have it on every night after Dark Shadows and I never missed it.

• Love 7

d5459d24533f5e3fe2fe68704f01bfad.jpg

Photo: Emily Studd

Hungry Kitty ... Hear the Table Manners of Canada Lynx in Gruesome Detail

Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven

Bernie Worrell - Let Me Ride (Mothership Connection) / Cosmic Slop

Santana ft. Everlast - Put Your Lights On

Dreaming Bull - No Use

Dan Auerbach - I Want Some More

Lionel Richie - Running With The Night

Cardinal Black - Tell Me How It Feels

Icebird - Going and Going. And Going

Big Black Delta - Money Rain Down

Badfinger - Day After Day

Scorpio Loon - Addicted To You

Isidore - Oh My Sky

1000.jpeg

In this photo taken June 4, 2021, and released by the Yunnan Forest Fire Brigade, a migrating herd of elephants graze near Shuanghe Township, Jinning District of Kunming city in southwestern China's Yunnan Province. Already famous at home, China's wandering elephants are now becoming international stars. Major global media, including satellite news stations, news papers and wire services are chronicling the herd's more-than year-long, 500 kilometer (300 mile) trek from their home in a wildlife reserve in mountainous southwest Yunnan province to the outskirts of the provincial capital of Kunming. (Yunnan Forest Fire Brigade via AP)

China’s wandering elephants becoming international stars

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Almost Home

Cutty Gold - What I Did

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sacrilege

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Cities In Dust

Caught A Ghost - Sleeping At Night

• Love 7

The Lovin Spoonful - Summer In The City

Hot Town Summer in the City ... Fentanyl, Guns, and Murder: Get Ready for a Bloody Summer

Emerson, Lake & Palmer‎ - Trilogy, 1972

Charo - Granada

The Record Company - Ain't Love Warm

The James Hunter Six - Look Out

Al Green - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

Abba - SOS

Little Richard - Get Down With It

1000.jpeg

This computer generated image shows a Gucci virtual garden on Roblox. Anyone whose avatar is traipsing around the Roblox online game platform these days might run into other avatars sporting Gucci handbags, sunglasses or hats. The digital-only items are part of the Gucci’s time-limited collection for Roblox, as the Italian fashion house that prides itself on hand-craftsmanship is dipping its toes into an expanding virtual space where many of its youngest fans already are at home. (Roblox via AP)

It sounds like gobbledygook, but Gucci digitally outfits Gen-Z in metaverse foray with Roblox 

Los Bitchos - Pista (Great Start)

Houses - Big Light

Generationals - I Never Know

Angus Stone - Broken Brights

Silver Apples - Lovefingers

Big Black Delta - Side Of The Road

Divine Fits - Would That Not Be Nice

210607111914-03-index-awards-2021-womens

These innovative designs are tackling taboo health issues for women

• Love 8

9yCgnfCyUJbbuPiEbPVyXf-1200-80.jpg

'Ring of fire' solar eclipse: How to watch, what time is it, livestream

Valerie June - The Moon And Stars: Prescriptions For Dreamers

Depeche Mode - Lie to Me (Dominatrix Remix 2009)

Wreckless Eric - Whole Wide World

NO - Stay With Me

Madi Diaz - Heavy Heart

Jamie N Commons - Rumble and Sway

Explosions in the Sky - Human Qualities

Beans & Fatback - Use Me

Estella - Cruella

Evelyne Datl - Sedona Breeze

The Bamboos feat. Ella Thompson "Medicine Man" live at The Metro, Sydney 22/06/12

The xx - Stars

Martha White dies, sparked ’53 Louisiana capital bus boycott

Martha White, a Black woman whose actions helped launch the 1953 bus boycotts in Louisiana’s capital city, has died. She was 99.

White died Saturday, her family and others confirmed.

White, then 23, was working as a housekeeper in the capital city of Baton Rouge in 1953 when she took action. After a long day of walking to and from work while seeking to reach her bus stop, she decided to sit in one of the only bus seats available — one designated for white passengers.

When the driver ordered her to get up, White refused and another Black woman sat beside her in solidarity. The bus driver threatened to have the women arrested. Ultimately police, the bus company manager and a civil rights activist, the Rev. T.J. Jemison, showed up. Jemison informed the driver of a recently passed ordinance to desegregate buses in the city, meaning White wasn’t violating any rules.

In response to the ordinance, bus drivers began a strike and the ordinance was later overturned. That prompted a boycott by the Black community in Baton Rouge.

Baton Rouge Mayor Sharon Weston Broome issued a statement Monday recognizing White’s contribution to the city’s civil rights movement.

“Martha White undoubtedly shaped our community in Baton Rouge, and communities across our nation,” Broome said. “We honor her legacy today and every day.”

That boycott later helped provide the framework for the famous effort sparked by Rosa Parks that led to a bus boycott in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1955.

Ted Jemison, the son of the Rev. T.J. Jemison, remembered White as being outspoken and unafraid to share her opinion. He told The Advocate of a conversation he had with her years ago about that day. He recalled her telling him she just wanted to sit in that bus seat because she was tired from being on her feet constantly that day.

”‘Can you imagine working on your feet all day and just wanting to sit down?’” Jemison recalled White as saying. “She was the same way from when she was young to when she was 90 years old. She knew that what she did was for the good of everyone in Baton Rouge.”

“We really lost a true pioneer for civil rights,” said Jason Roberts, co-owner of the Baton Rouge African American Museum, speaking of White’s death, the newspaper reported.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

So I brought Steve back to the vet earlier this evening for a re-evaluation. The vet says he put on a bit of weight. he's now 79.8 grams. His stool is looking more normal but still not 100% so he has to undergo two more weeks of antibiotics (a different one this time.) But, he said after the two weeks, if all appears fine, I don't have to bring Steve back for another re-evaluation which I am happy about because I'm tired of lugging him to the vet. So fingers crossed and all that. 

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

So I brought Steve back to the vet earlier this evening for a re-evaluation. The vet says he put on a bit of weight. he's now 79.8 grams. His stool is looking more normal but still not 100% so he has to undergo two more weeks of antibiotics (a different one this time.) But, he said after the two weeks, if all appears fine, I don't have to bring Steve back for another re-evaluation which I am happy about because I'm tired of lugging him to the vet. So fingers crossed and all that. 

Hopeful (((hugs))) to both you and Steve. That's actually really good news.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

"Who's a pretty bird?" 

*spoken in my best bird voice*

My grandparents budgie could say pretty bird and wolf whistle. He used to sit on grandpa's shoulder and fish smokes out of his shirt pocket for him on command.

• LOL 7