Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

On 6/23/2021 at 2:18 AM, bannana said:

I met quite a few celebs through my job at the time, but a random celeb sighting was (and I have to google this right now cause I cannot remember his name but he was Carla's hubby on Cheers), wait for it, Dan Hedaya. We were in Venice Beach having breakfast.

I also not too long ago saw Eric McCormack on a flight from LA I was on (pre-covid) and he was greeted by a sign by his driver with his name. He looked good.

Quite a few years ago I was staying at a premium hotel in Winnipeg and Bill Murray was a guest. Hello, it was Winnipeg, everyone knew he was in the hotel. We often saw him in the cocktail lounge.

At the time he owned the baseball team there.

We both were standing outside the hotel one evening; he was probably waiting for a driver. I had a bus full of meeting delegates to take to the races. 

So we chatted a bit. He was way more congenial than one would have expected.

Yeah, my standing joke at one point ran like this, "So and so? I sold him his china..." Before this particular incarnation I ran marketing and managed TO's fanciest china store [grew up knowing the stuff and nobody wants multiple English degrees].

Best person I met, as a person, not as a celeb? Vincent Price! A complete gentleman with very good taste in china. We chatted a couple of times--I was usually dragged out to handle celebs, and he had the best watch. It was an old Timex on a silver/turquoise concho band--given to him by John Ford.

Worst? A tie between Lee Majors [tried to wrestle me into going out]--totally uncharming and I was quite happy when his MasterCard bounced; and, sorry to say this, Alex Trebek [RIP]--at that point, really pretentious and full of himself for a guy from Sudbury who just got off a third-rate Canadian quiz show.

• Love 7

Best person I met, as a person, not as a celeb? Vincent Price! A complete gentleman with very good taste in china. We chatted a couple of times--I was usually dragged out to handle celebs, and he had the best watch. It was an old Timex on a silver/turquoise concho band--given to him by John Ford.

I've heard that about Vincent Price. He was a national treasure. I was lucky enough to see him on stage when he was on tour with his one man show as Oscar Wilde. I still have the playbill (I framed it).

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Worst? A tie between Lee Majors [tried to wrestle me into going out]--totally uncharming and I was quite happy when his MasterCard bounced; and, sorry to say this, Alex Trebek [RIP]--at that point, really pretentious and full of himself for a guy from Sudbury who just got off a third-rate Canadian quiz show.

It's always surprising. Best celeb I met, kindest, most down to earth, genuinely nice and friendly: Hal Linden. Richard Dean Anderson was also pretty great.

I have some worsts: almost made cry was Joe DiMaggio; rude to little children who were his fans was William Shatner; just generally ornery was Tom Skerrit.

• Love 5

Kinda bummed to hear that about Alex.  Always loved him and he seemed to be so refined and gentlemanly.

The worst for me was a member of The Association (Never My Love, Wendy).  Shop was downtown then (I've had 3 locations) and they were in town in the late '80's doing our summer arts festival.  3-4 guys came in and looked around (can't remember if they bought anything) but this one guy was just really snotty and at one point he said:  "Don't you know who we are?  Ever hear of The Association?"   I replied 'yeah' and started listing their songs while *in my head*  Dude...your heyday was 20 yrs ago.  Get over it.....

Putz.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

just generally ornery was Tom Skerrit.

My parents hung out with James Woods in Europe at one point. They said he was rude to waitstaff, hotel workers and pretty much everybody. I don't know why Tom Skerrit reminded me of that.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

My celebrity interactions have been few and far between but I had one that for me was unforgettable.  20, maybe more, years ago, Ruth Warrick aka Phoebe Tyler from All My Children was doing the play Love Letters at this tiny church in San Francisco, really just a converted storefront off of Fillmore Street.  I doubt the place held more than 80 people.  Her co-star was a man active in local theater out here and she was doing it as a benefit to raise money for this church.  It was some sort of metaphysical, positive attitude, universal Christianity congregation, very welcoming to all people that was very dear to her heart.

I was really too old to be such a fan boy but that I was and the chance to see her in person was too good to pass up.  She was terrific, just terrific and there was a social hour afterwards.  She was a tiny woman physically - who knew? - her onscreen presence was always large - and eventually I got the chance to speak with her, one on one.  I kept it brief, telling her how much I loved her work and her character.  She laughed at that and used her Phoebe voice to say "You really shouldn't, Phoebe can be awful!". I told her what a fan I'd been of Kay Campbell ( who had also been on AMC) and asked after Mary Fickett, another longtime AMC actor who had retired because of ill health.  It was maybe only 5 minutes conversation in total but she was as kind and accessible as I could have wanted.

That's a very sunny memory for me.

Edited by boes
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, boes said:

My celebrity interactions have been few and far between but I had one that for me was unforgettable.  20, maybe more, years ago, Ruth Warrick aka Phoebe Tyler from All My Children was doing the play Love Letters at this tiny church in San Francisco, really just a converted storefront off of Fillmore Street.  I doubt the place held more than 80 people.  Her co-star was a man active in local theater out here and she was doing it as a benefit to raise money for this church.  It was some sort of metaphysical, positive attitude, universal Christianity congregation, very welcoming to all people that was very dear to her heart.

I was really too old to be such a fan boy but that I was and the chance to see her in person was too good to pass up.  She was terrific, just terrific and there was a social hour afterwards.  She was a tiny woman physically - who knew? - her onscreen presence was always large - and eventually I got the chance to speak with her, one on one.  I kept it brief, telling her how much I loved her work and her character.  She laughed at that and used her Phoebe voice to say "You really shouldn't, Phoebe can be awful!". I told her what a fan I'd been of Kay Campbell ( who had also been on AMC) and asked after Mary Fickett, another longtime AMC actor who had retired because of ill health.  It was maybe only 5 minutes conversation in total but she was as kind and accessible as I could have wanted.

That's a very sunny memory for me.

That's lovely.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, pearlite said:

You just reminded me that the only celeb I've met and talked to was Vincent Price in ~1972.  I was taking a short course on silent films at the George Eastman House, and he must have been in Rochester for something else, but happened to know the ~80 yr old piano player who had been playing live at silent movie showings since ~1910.  VP dropped by unannounced, not as a celeb.  Vincent was there because he loved silent films, especially with live piano. Though he only appeared in talkies, I'm sure VP got a lot of his ideas for facial expressions from watching silent films. We were a bunch of teenagers and Vincent was just there talking to us like equals studying films. He wasn't introduced to us by name, though some of us noticed the resemblance and assumed he was just a local, classy patron of the arts with a diamond pinky ring.  One of the kids told him he looked a lot like VP; he responded "I do".  Then the teacher & piano player explained that he was the actual VP & how they knew each other.  It was cool; all we talked about were the films we had just watched and the choices of music.  If we had known who he was beforehand we would have talked about HIS films instead of the silent classics.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

You just reminded me that the only celeb I've met and talked to was Vincent Price in ~1972.  I was taking a short course on silent films at the George Eastman House, and he must have been in Rochester for something else, but happened to know the ~80 yr old piano player who had been playing live at silent movie showings since ~1910.  VP dropped by unannounced, not as a celeb.  Vincent was there because he loved silent films, especially with live piano. Though he only appeared in talkies, I'm sure VP got a lot of his ideas for facial expressions from watching silent films. We were a bunch of teenagers and Vincent was just there talking to us like equals studying films. He wasn't introduced to us by name, though some of us noticed the resemblance and assumed he was just a local, classy patron of the arts with a diamond pinky ring.  One of the kids told him he looked a lot like VP; he responded "I do".  Then the teacher & piano player explained that he was the actual VP & how they knew each other.  It was cool; all we talked about were the films we had just watched and the choices of music.  If we had known who he was beforehand we would have talked about HIS films instead of the silent classics.

How exciting for all of you!  I would have been in awe.

I just have seen him in Dragonwyck a hundred times when I was a kid, him and Gene Tierney and Anne Revere and Jessica Tandy, on the late show.  VP was so much more than just his horror movies, though I liked them too.  Then when I found out later that he was married to Coral Browne.....

What a treat you had!

• Love 7

When I worked for a company that sold antique rugs, around '92, one day I was in the show room and on my way back to the office when I saw Rick Moranis. I was so surprised to see him and so surprised at how tiny he was that I tripped over a big rolled up rug. He turned and saw me. Then I hightailed it out of the showroom. Hahaha.

When I cashiered in a soap store at the South Street Seaport, around '82, Fred Gywnne and his wife came in and bought some soap so I had a chance to talk with him while they were at the register. He was lovely, charming and gracious, he gave me a couple of autographs, and he had such crystal blue eyes. One autograph was for me and one was for one of my roommates. My roommate Valters (Lithuanian) used to sing the Munsters theme to me when he'd see me in the morning and I told FG this and asked him for an autograph for Valters. He laughed and signed it, To Valters,  from "Verman", then his name. He was delightful.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, boes said:

How exciting for all of you!  I would have been in awe.

I just have seen him in Dragonwyck a hundred times when I was a kid, him and Gene Tierney and Anne Revere and Jessica Tandy, on the late show.  VP was so much more than just his horror movies, though I liked them too.  Then when I found out later that he was married to Coral Browne.....

What a treat you had!

VP had such a great range [before Hammer]! His Kind of Woman is one of my big faves.

He was buying the china [demitasses, I think] for Coral Browne, who must have had a yen for Crown Derby.

Speaking of Ms Browne, have you ever seen The Ruling Class with Ms Browne, Peter O'Toole, and so on? Another fave.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, pearlite said:

VP had such a great range [before Hammer]! His Kind of Woman is one of my big faves.

He was buying the china [demitasses, I think] for Coral Browne, who must have had a yen for Crown Derby.

Speaking of Ms Browne, have you ever seen The Ruling Class with Ms Browne, Peter O'Toole, and so on? Another fave.

It's one of my favorites!  Coral Browne entranced me from the first time I saw her in Auntie Mame.  I read her bio a few years back.  There were so many laugh out loud quotes from her - this one - 

‘Nobody we know, dear.’ Coral Browne on seeing the giant phallus used on the set of Peter Brook‘s production of Oedipus for the National in 1968.

• LOL 8

Marla Adams won best supporting actress! Yay! I didn't know until I saw a commercial for it today during Y&R that it was on tonite. I'm so surprised at how glamorous Sheryl Underwood looks. Whoever did her make-up should get an award.

• Love 13

I have a huge love for VP from my high school days.  Our local drive-ins (we had 2 about 3-4 miles apart) used to run dusk till dawn movies on Sat nites.  Roger Corman directing Edgar Allen Poe stories.  My Dad had a huge station wagon and I would pick up all the friends and go to the all-nighters for $1.00 a carload!

Those were the days....good times.

• Love 4

Steps to make crème caramel:

1. buy a cabin in an undisclosed location
  2. get four chickens
  3. build a chicken coop
  4. hope for eggs
  5. get a blue egg + others
  6. make the dessert

Why are ketchup bottles so hard to use?

Ginger Root - Loretta

Logan Bowden - Last Man On Earth

Jeff Beck feat Imogen Heap - Blanket

Charo - Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Nancy Wilson - Party at the Angel Ballroom

Gang Of Youths - Heroes

The Freedom Singers - Woke Up This Morning

Natti Natasha x Becky G - Ram Pam Pam

1501191294248-Bone-Disc-4.jpeg?resize=80

X-Ray Audio: The Documentary - During the Cold War, the Soviet Union controlled the music recording industry and even restricted the types of music that were allowed to be played & listened to. Or they tried to anyway. Enterprising Soviet bootleggers took used x-ray films, many of them still containing images of bones and skulls, and recorded forbidden music on them, including jazz and rock & roll from the West. They called it ribs, bones, bone music, or jazz on ribs. X-rays proved to be an suitable medium. They were cheaply and easily (albeit illegally) acquired from local hospitals that were required to throw out the flammable sheets. They took the groove relatively well, though nowhere near as well as vinyl — some X-ray discs apparently sound like listening to music through sand — and they were easy to fold into a shirt sleeve of pocket for a quick transaction. The X-rays were also stunningly beautiful.

How Soviet Kitchens Became Hotbeds Of Dissent And Culture

iLe - No Es Importante

Logan and Isabel - Lead On, Lead On

The Go! Team - A Bee Without Its Sting

Rachel Baiman - Wyoming Wildflowers

Kashena Sampson - Whole Lot Better

Rosalia - Di Mi Nombre

GettyImages-1325139188.jpg?resize=1800,1

#FreeBritney activists protest at Los Angeles Grand Park during a conservatorship hearing for Britney Spears on June 23, 2021 in Los Angeles, California/Getty Images

Britney Spears’ Full Statement at Conservatorship Hearing

1265213742.0.jpg

Star trails captured in Tsavo National Park, Kenya/Alberto Ghizzi Panizza/REDA&CO/Universal Images Group via Getty Images

Animals can navigate by starlight. Here’s how we know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

BTS - (방탄소년단) Butter

Counting Crows - Elevator Boots

The Avalanches - Because I'm Me

BUTTER 08 - BUTTER OF 69

Kurt Vile - I Wanted Everything

Puscifer - Bullet Train to Iowa

Jonathan Roy - Keeping Me Alive

Amythyst Kiah - Black Myself

Gary Clark Jr. & Junkie XL - Come Together

Pokey LaFarge - I Hear You Knockin'

Christina Aguilera - Keep On Singin' My Song

Thundercat with Jon Batiste & Stay Human - Them Changes

Elizabeth Cotten - Oh Babe It Ain’t No Lie/Old Woman Keeps Tellin' Her Lies On Me

Sounds Like "Gimme' My Money, Sucker!"...

Justin Bieber - Anyone (On The Road) - Written by Justin Bieber and a production  committee.  Released January 2021

Toto - Goin' Home - Written by David Paich, Joseph Williams, Jeff Porcaro. Recorded in 1989

Chris Stapleton - Maggie's Song - Written by Chris Stapleton.  Released November 2020

The Band - The Weight - Written by Robbie Robertson. Released August 1968

Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey - Written by Dean Dillon and Linda Hargrove. Originally recorded by David Allen Cole 1981

Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind - Written by Ellington Jordan, co-credited to Billy Foster and Etta James 1967

Electric Vehicles Won’t Save Us - "This isn’t a story about Elon Musk, or Tesla, or a contrarian take about how “oil is good, actually.” I unconditionally support electric vehicles in their quest to take over the primacy of gasoline-powered vehicles in the market. But I don’t save that enthusiasm for their prospects on society broadly. From the perspective of the built environment, there is nothing functionally different between an electric vehicle and a gasoline propelled one. The relationship is the same, and it’s unequivocally destructive. Cars, however they’re powered, are environmentally cataclysmic, break the tethers of community, and force an infrastructure of dependency that is as financially ruinous to our country as it is dangerous to us as people. In order to build a more sustainable future and a better world for humanity, we need to address the root problems that have brought us to where we so perilously lie today."

• Love 5

Johnny Solinger, former Skid Row singer, dies at 55

Former Skid Row singer Johnny Solinger has died a month after revealing he was suffering from liver failure. He was 55.

Solinger’s wife, actress Paula Marcenaro Solinger, confirmed the musician’s death. “He passed yesterday while I was holding his hand,” she told USA TODAY on Sunday morning.

“He went in peace,” Marcenaro wrote Saturday night on Facebook, two hours after telling fans, “I have made the decision to transition to comfort care. It is time to let him go … I wish I could have done more. I wish I could have saved him. I’m so sorry, Johnny Solinger. I’m so sorry.”

Skid Row shared the news Saturday night on social media, posting a photo of Solinger with his birth and death dates.

“We are saddened to hear the news of our brother Johnny Solinger. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and fans,” a statement on Skid Row’s verified Instagram account read. “Godspeed Singo. Say hello to Scrappy for us.”

The statement was signed “much love” from current members Rachel Bolan, ZP Theart, Snake Sabo, Rob Hammersmith and Scotti Hill.

Solinger was the hard rock band’s longest-running vocalist (1999 to 2015), replacing Sebastian Bach, who left the group in 1996. Solinger fronted the group when it opened for Kiss’ Farewell Tour in 2000 and embarked on a solo career after parting ways with the group. He sang on two of the group's albums, 2003's "Thickskin" and 2006's "Revolutions Per Minute."

Solinger shared his health struggles with fans last month on Facebook.

"It is with a heavy heart I must let everyone know what’s going on with me and my health," he wrote on May 8. "I have been hospitalized for over the last month. I have been diagnosed with liver failure. And prognosis is not so good. As with most musicians I do not have health insurance and it’s very difficult to get proper care without it.

“I am currently under at least seven different medications and I need to have my abdomen drained off fluid that gets accumulated every couple of days,” he wrote. "I have lost a lot of strength and will require physical therapy as well."

Solinger asked fans to “send me all the healing vibes you can” and donations to help with his medical bills. A GoFundMe page organized by his friend Brian Lawrence has raised $16,000 toward a $100,000 goal.

Bassist Tony Franklin (Whitesnake, Jimmy Page) remembered Solinger as “a sweet guy, a bundle of laughs, and some vocal pipes. Rest peacefully Johnny!"

"He was a big, bold flash of life. He will be dearly missed,” bassist Todd Kerns (Slash, The Age of Electric) wrote. “Keep the mic warm for me when I get up there so we can rock together once more."

"Get yourself a piece of pie with Scrappy," wrote Bolan, Skid Row’s bassist, on his own Instagram account.

Scrappy was Solinger’s late grandfather, World War II veteran Willard J. “Scrappy” Smith, who died in 2019 at age 103 in Russellville, Arkansas. Solinger’s company, Scrappy Smith LLC, was named for him, and Solinger released a solo EP of the same name in 2014.

I hope all of you Left Coast Preverts are doing ok.  It's "only" a muggy 93° here, and my lunch was a small watermelon and four popsicles.  Heat makes me a cranky, so I can't even imagine what you're dealing with.

• Love 6

SoCal is in the mid-80s, with a cool down at night -- Not as hot as it was in May/early June. My sister in northern Cal says they've been struggling with no rain since April and constant 90s in the heat wave. Reliable water sources are drying up. She has crews removing stressed trees, and cutting grass to remove fuel in case of wildfires.

The further up the coast you go, the worse the heat and drought conditions get.

13 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I hope all of you Left Coast Preverts are doing ok.  It's "only" a muggy 93° here, and my lunch was a small watermelon and four popsicles.  Heat makes me a cranky, so I can't even imagine what you're dealing with.

Its's been a nightmare. I haven't cooked in at least a week. We're living on cold sandwiches. Deli turkey and cheeses, egg salad, tuna, chicken and cold salmon. My house is dark and there are bowls of water all around in case the cat (please Bast) happens to want a drink. We were afraid we were going to lose him last night. Have you ever seen a cat just lie on his side, with his tongue fully extended, twitching? We finally put him in the tub with about three inches of cool water an wiped him with a wet washcloth. i thought he would freak out but he just loved it. My poor husband hadn't slept in days but he doesn't have what I have. Xanax.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hope your cat is doing better now, @peacheslatour. I used to have a cat who loved to have an ice cube in his water. And when he would ask for it he'd say these long complicated meows. It took quite a while for us to figure put what he was asking for. When we finally did, we told him, it's ice, one tiny word and we laughed at him for giving it such a long description.

Edited by SweePea59
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

I hope your cat is doing better now, @peacheslatour. I used to have a cat who loved to have an ice cube in his water. And when he would ask for it he'd say these long complicated meows. It took quite a while for us to figure put what he was asking for. When we finally did, we told him, it's ice, one tiny word and we laughed at him for giving it such a long description.

Aww. he was doing the best he could. My poor husband tried to give Nathan water from an eye dropper last night and got a little bloody ("Ouch, ouch, ouch!) so we went nuclear by putting him in the tub, thinking he would totally freak out. But he just lay down and closed his eyes. Cats, right?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

For any other former viewers of All My Children, Ray MacDonnell, who played Joe Martin from AMC"s beginning until the end, and then reprised the role for the short-lived online reboot, died at the age of 93.  

Besides loving him for the character he played, by all accounts he was also a genuinely nice human being.  After Mary Fickett, the original Ruth Martin in the show had to retire due to ill health, he stayed in touch with her to the very end, even as Alzheimer's ravaged her mind and body.  Lots of stories like that about him.

A good man who entertained countless people for close to a half century.

Edited by boes
Speeling
  • Love 3

Wow...that's sad.  I watched AMC from practically the beginning. Cliff (our PB) and Nina, anybody?

I was working in an office in '71/'72 with about 20 other women and I had to quit because I was pregnant with boychild (and really sick for the first 3 months).  My best friend would call me at home after the show every day to find out what happened as all the gals were fans.  The old days before VCRs.   🙂

Memories.....

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Like @peacheslatour, we are under the dome, the heat dome, that is.

We live in a 110 year old home, so the only AC we have is one of those Costco ones in our bedroom upstairs. Keeping all the doors shut (which is very unusual for us) to try to keep cool.

It is really fricking hot here. Yesterday I stupidly attended an outdoor meeting. Even though we were in the shade I thought I might pass out from the heat so I cut out early.

Heat Wave Cat GIF

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, bannana said:

We live in a 110 year old home, so the only AC we have is one of those Costco ones in our bedroom upstairs. Keeping all the doors shut (which is very unusual for us) to try to keep cool.

It is really fricking hot here. Yesterday I stupidly attended an outdoor meeting. Even though we were in the shade I thought I might pass out from the heat so I cut out early.

Heat Wave Cat GIF

Well, today is much better it's only 80 right now but is supposed to reach 93 by 4pm. Yay, us.

• Love 4

Concord CA. here, so we're supposed to be used to the heat.  I had to be dragged out of naturally air-conditioned San Francisco kicking and screaming when we had to leave and I still hate the heat.

Anyway, the Weather Channel says we're going to be a balmy 92 today so why does the thermometer out back, under the shade, say it's already 101?  

Stay cool preverts!  Just remind yourself things could be worse.  

It could be hot as hell and sweaty and you could be stuck in an elevator with Nick or ButtBiscuit and I can guarantee you neither of those bros wear deodorant.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, bannana said:

Someone on Twitter reminded us that we could be in a deep freeze in just 10 weeks!

At least when it's cold, we can bundle up. There is no relief from the heat. But it is better today, only 93 by four. I cannot express in words the way I felt at three am last night. We'd been sleeping with just a sheet (when poor hubby could sleep at all) with the window open and a fan in front of it. I woke up and was cold! I pulled up the quilt and comforter. It was heaven.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bannana said:

Heat Wave Cat GIF

A balmy 24C/75+F in TO today, but despite occasional thunderstorms, you can chew the air and it's dark. Charming.

Bannana, our houses are the same age--I do have central AC though. That said, the third floors of these houses are foul in hot weather, so we have to have a window unit up there.

BC was supposed to have hit 40-oddC yesterday. Just no.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, pearlite said:

BC was supposed to have hit 40-oddC yesterday. Just no.

That's the temp here and I think it is going to continue for days. It is the heat dome thing that is the probably--it actually feels like we are trapped by the heat!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, bannana said:

That's the temp here and I think it is going to continue for days. It is the heat dome thing that is the probably--it actually feels like we are trapped by the heat!

Where is our damned marine layer?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, bannana said:

And my fingers stick to the keyboard, as I sit attempting to mark 2nd & 3rd-language content from the other side of the globe. Ah online education...

Mind you, students from various parts of India have noted that 40+C is pretty standard, and that 17--18C makes them feel chilly. Just wait til they get here, come January when universities may open again 🙏...

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

cat-getting-hypnotized

How to Stay Cool Without Air-Conditioning

Feist - 1234

Hayley Kiyoko - Demons

Jacob Banks - Unknown (To You)

REI AMI feat. Lolo Zouaï - CHERRY CHAPSTICK

Celeste - Hear My Voice

Mereba - Rider

This short documentary takes a look at the Black surfing community in the Rockaways. These surfers are members of the Black Surfing Association (East Coast branch), which Surfer magazine profiled last summer:

“When you talk to kids here at Rockaway, they think of a surfer as John John Florence — blonde,” says Harris. “When I say, ‘Hey, I’m a surfer,’ they’re shocked. We’re trying to reach every kid, but we’re really trying to reach the kids that wouldn’t otherwise get the opportunity.

We just want to keep kids busy and active, and spread the message and spread the stoke of surfing, and go into schools and talk to kids about water safety.”

“There’s no racism out there”, says Harris of the ocean. “When you come out of that water, of course you go back to your life. But you lose yourself when you get into the waves.”

Joji ft. Omar Apollo - High Hopes

Joëlle Buyckx - Just a Fool

Vance Joy - Missing Piece

Rodrigo y Gabriela: Tiny Desk (Home) Concert

Paco de Lucia - Entre dos Aguas

LACES - moved

Penzillathegreat - Too Late

Fearless Soul ft. Rachael Schroeder - Fix You

The Lighthouse and The Whaler - We Are Infinite

Labrinth - No Ordinary

Skylar Astin - Anyone

Cosmic gulp: Astronomers see black hole swallow neutron star

• Love 6
20 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

We're at 89 but it feels like 100+ with the pea soup humidity out there.  I feel for all you west coasters.  We're used to this stuff.

NJ here. This is our second heat wave this year. Yeah, we're used to this miserable misery, too. I have an older house. AC's upstairs in two bedrooms and one in the kitchen. I turn on the one upstairs in my room, the newest AC, and let the cool air fall downstairs. There's a ceiling fan in the living room. That helps. Ceiling fans are great.

Holding some ice in a bag/towel/bandana against your pulse points - wrists and neck - helps you cool off. 

20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

At least when it's cold, we can bundle up. There is no relief from the heat. 

Agreed. Also, I can't breathe well in this heat and humidity. The older I get, the less I can tolerate the heat.

• Love 5

Agreed. Also, I can't breathe well in this heat and humidity. The older I get, the less I can tolerate the heat.

That's awful. My husband came to bed Monday night and had a full blown panic attack because it was so hot in our bedroom he couldn't get his breath.

Second vaccine this afternoon--newsy notes from the expired Target store turned into vaccination centre: something on offer called a "Modesty Room"! Where exactly are you getting this vaccination, may I ask? Plus a selection of mid- to late-80s music for the requisite 15 minute sitdown--I guess that, a few off-duty firefighters marshalling people,  and the display of local artwork [using the term loosely] are supposed to be distracting or something.

In this case PLL [who, I might add, managed to lose her Ontario health card just in time] as yet unvaccinated--chicken; came up with a regime, source unknown: a day before, take Tylenol or similar, drink some of those fizzy Vitamin C things, and drink some Gatorade or similar. Who knows? I tried, but I hate Gatorade. We'll see.

Then I had a soft ice cream from our venue of choice :https://tomsdairyfreeze.ca

I hadn't been in for years, so that was nice. Here's hoping tomorrow's okay.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Second vaccine this afternoon--newsy notes from the expired Target store turned into vaccination centre: something on offer called a "Modesty Room"! Where exactly are you getting this vaccination, may I ask? Plus a selection of mid- to late-80s music for the requisite 15 minute sitdown--I guess that, a few off-duty firefighters marshalling people,  and the display of local artwork [using the term loosely] are supposed to be distracting or something.

In this case PLL [who, I might add, managed to lose her Ontario health card just in time] as yet unvaccinated--chicken; came up with a regime, source unknown: a day before, take Tylenol or similar, drink some of those fizzy Vitamin C things, and drink some Gatorade or similar. Who knows? I tried, but I hate Gatorade. We'll see.

Then I had a soft ice cream from our venue of choice :https://tomsdairyfreeze.ca

I just had some chills, body aches and an owie where the needle went in. The day after that I was as right as rain.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, pearlite said:

Like Peacheslatour, I only had mild flu symptoms the next day, very mild.  Night after the 2nd one.  I hope you do okay.

I enjoyed the people watching for that 15 minute waiting period, imagining their back stories.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, boes said:

Like Peacheslatour, I only had mild flu symptoms the next day, very mild.  Night after the 2nd one.  I hope you do okay.

I enjoyed the people watching for that 15 minute waiting period, imagining their back stories.

So far, so good. Hoping it stays that way and thanks❤️

• Love 8

Sadly, I had the opposite.

We had our 2nd shots on March 26 and both had mild symptoms at first.  He's pretty good...still working but he's tired a lot.  About 2 wks later I got really sick.  Still feel like warmed-over shit.  Walking around the house, showering, dishwasher, etc. just wears me out.  I do a little bit then go rest for a while.  Get out of breath really easily, which didn't happen when I was diagnosed in Nov.  Went to the Dr. last Tues and he said I am a long-hauler.  I asked if the vaccine could have stirred things up and he said probably in my case (emphasis...this will not happen to most folks so get your damn shots, people!)  I'm an old fart and not in the best of health to begin with.

This stuff is like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction....."I will not be ignored."

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Sadly, I had the opposite.

We had our 2nd shots on March 26 and both had mild symptoms at first.  He's pretty good...still working but he's tired a lot.  About 2 wks later I got really sick.  Still feel like warmed-over shit.  Walking around the house, showering, dishwasher, etc. just wears me out.  I do a little bit then go rest for a while.  Get out of breath really easily, which didn't happen when I was diagnosed in Nov.  Went to the Dr. last Tues and he said I am a long-hauler.  I asked if the vaccine could have stirred things up and he said probably in my case (emphasis...this will not happen to most folks so get your damn shots, people!)  I'm an old fart and not in the best of health to begin with.

This stuff is like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction....."I will not be ignored."