Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
radishcake

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

When we have our post-Covid Bacchanalia, I'm giving all of my jukebox money to Cupid Stunt!

Any way I can contribute to the end of the Days of the Dead, I'm there.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She can be our DJ! It would be perfect. 

I got skills.

Getting my first jab on Tues. Hurray!

giphy.gif

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She can be our DJ! It would be perfect. Getting my first jab on Tues. Hurray!

I'm getting mine on Wednesday!  💪💉👍

• Like 6

Congrats to all the jabbers! Jabbees? I prefer doin’ shots!🤓

I got my first dose of Pfizer last week, hubby got AZ the next day. No issues but tender arms. 👏

• Like 7

Every time I hear that Gloria Estefan song, I think of Nikki.  I swear I remember a scene of her dancing to Conga, back when Show had a budget and could afford to play real pop songs once in a while.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

On 4/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, peacheslatour said:

Oh man, if you were our DJ, Cupid, I'd never leave the dance floor!

Don't forget to tip your waitstaff and bartenders.

0% auto-tune or ProTools

0% computer editing

90% natural vocals

10% overdub

20% drum machine/digital FX

80% real instruments and musicians

It's amazing how good 40 odd year old music sounds.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Hubby and I got our first jabs today. Woo Hoo!

Woo Hoo Shooby Dooby Doo!  

Any side effects?  I've heard the whole gamut, from "nothing at all" to "oh my god I feel like crap".   That's making me a teeny bit nervous.  Have Junior and his wife gotten theirs?  

Happy 4/20!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This is exciting! 

Virus Stay Home GIF by INTO ACTION

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Woo Hoo Shooby Dooby Doo!  

Any side effects?  I've heard the whole gamut, from "nothing at all" to "oh my god I feel like crap".   That's making me a teeny bit nervous.  Have Junior and his wife gotten theirs?  

Happy 4/20!

I had zero side effects when I was vaccinated. I read on twitter about all of the reactions, and it just didn't happen to me. My arm didn't even hurt as much as when I get the flu shot every year.

I have an auto immune disorder (not why I was able to get vaxxed), and I was fine.

I have heard that the second vax can have an impact. My niece had her second vax (she lives in southeast Asia), and she had more of a reaction.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

On 4/19/2021 at 8:57 AM, PatsyandEddie said:

Congrats to all the jabbers! Jabbees? I prefer doin’ shots!🤓

I got my first dose of Pfizer last week, hubby got AZ the next day. No issues but tender arms. 👏

11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

giphy.gif

Excellent news, Preverts!

My injection site was tender for the first hour, but no other reactions to the Pfizer jab..

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

4 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

giphy.gif

Excellent news, Preverts!

My injection site was tender for the first hour, but no other reactions to the Pfizer jab..

We got the Pfizer as well. Jab site semi owie. Feel kind of half asleep though.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

0000440641.jpg

Elvis liked it.

; )

I know the story of The Clash album cover, I just love the way the photographer caught Paul Simonon driving his bass into the stage. ;-)

• Like 3

Woke up to an April snowstorm, then went and got dose #1 of the Moderna vaccine!  Thank you, Dolly Parton!  🎼🎵I Will Always Love You🎶  So far, so good.  Although I did feel the microchip going in. 😉

Apparently, the US hit 200,000,000 shots today.  I like to think that I was #200,000,000!

• Like 8
  • Laugh 2

GettyImages_1271593615.jpg

Smoke from wildfires turned the sky above San Francisco orange on September 9, 2020 -- Jessica Christian/The San Francisco Chronicle via Getty Images

Happy Earth Day!

Vox’s Earth Month podcasts -- From climate change policy to clean energy technology, these episodes focus on ways to solve the environmental crisis.

10 things we learned about Earth since the last Earth Day

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

14 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Woke up to an April snowstorm, then went and got dose #1 of the Moderna vaccine!  Thank you, Dolly Parton!  🎼🎵I Will Always Love You🎶  So far, so good.  Although I did feel the microchip going in. 😉

Apparently, the US hit 200,000,000 shots today.  I like to think that I was #200,000,000!

We got our jabs at.....Microsoft..dun dun dun...

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

17 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Ah, snap, I'm glad for you!

We share the untimely snow. We do not share [in southern Ontario] your enviable vaccination rates. It's a mess here and systems for enrolling [?] are totally screwed up inside the city--to top that off, cases here are the highest they've been since the start of this thing; hospitals have hit capacity, and no level of government bought enough of any of the vaccines.

I return to my grousing in solitude.

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

Add me to the vaxx’d list!  Our gen pop opened 4/9 and I got me an appt  4/12 easy breezy.  It was the JJ 1 shot the day before they put it on pause.  Not gonna lie....I got a little freaked.  My arm still kinda hurts in that spot, it’s been 12 days.  Day of, I was fine my jab was at 9 AM, was a little sleepy and foggy all day but worked as expected (my work did allow up to 4 hours time off per jab / as needed and travel time, which I had no travel time).  Come 4 PM, my clock out time I seriously go soooo shaky and shivery.  Chills but no sweats just super cold and achy.  Ordered Noodles for supper on delivery for me and kiddo because I just could not move.  Was laid out by 7, took a couple Aleve and went nigh nigh.  Woke up alright, got kiddo on the bus at 7:30, laid back down until 10 (TPIR, yo) and after that was pretty good to go. Got up and logged on to work and made it a day  I NEVER get sick.  Like never.  So  this knocked me on my boots like a big baby.   TL/DR GET YO SHOT!

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

On 4/21/2021 at 8:41 PM, Snaporaz said:

Woke up to an April snowstorm

Ay yi yi!  Tuesday was a mess.  More snow than all winter here, I about cut the Christmas music back on.  My poor babies had to get put up into the garage, all tucked in, will hopefully be able to set them back out tomorrow.  It was only a few, thankfully, I am waiting to do my full gardens planting for when Mimi comes here next week. 

• Like 7

Shock G: Digital Underground's The Humpty Dance rapper dies, aged 57

Born Gregory Jacobs, he was known for his witty lyrics and comical alter-egos, but also played a crucial role in introducing 1970s funk to 90s hip-hop.

His biggest hit was The Humpty Dance, a feel-good party anthem based on his goofy character, Humpty Hump.

Chuck D, Snoop Dogg and Busta Rhymes have all paid tribute to the star.

"What a tough loss at such a precarious time," wrote Public Enemy's Chuck D on Twitter. "Brilliant beyond... such a beautiful free mind, Brother. #RestinBeats my man."

"Rest, King, rest," added Busta Rhymes on Instagram.

Snoop Dogg, whose early hits were inspired by Digital Underground, simply posted a photo of Humpty Hump's jewel-encrusted Groucho Marx glasses.

The news of Jacobs' death was confirmed by Chopmaster J, who co-founded Digital Underground with Shock G in 1987.

He wrote: "34 years ago almost to the day we had a wild idea we can be a hip-hop band and take on the world.

"Through it all, the dream became a reality and the reality became a nightmare for some. And now he's awaken from the fame. Long live shock G Aka Humpty Hump and Rest In Peace my Brotha Greg Jacobs!!!"

Digital Underground's security manager, Nzazi Malonga, told the Associated Press that Jacobs, who had struggled with drug addiction, had been found unresponsive in a hotel room in Tampa, Florida.

The star's family later issued a statement saying the musician "suddenly passed away" on Thursday.

"The cause of death is currently unknown," they added. "We truly, truly appreciate all the out-pouring of love and concern. Please keep us in your prayers at this very difficult time."

Born in Brooklyn, New York, Jacobs dropped out of high school in the late 1970s and had a brief career as a radio DJ, before finishing his degree and going to college to study music.

After relocating to San Francisco's Bay Area in the 1980s, he started working in a local music shop - which was where he met Chopmaster J and formed Digital Underground.

Influenced by free-thinking musicians like George Clinton, Jimi Hendrix and Herbie Hancock, the band's approach was playful and experimental - making them something of an anomaly during the ascendance of groups like Public Enemy and NWA.

"Sometimes we'll combine any two, three or more styles and sometimes we'll stick to just one," Jacobs said in 1989. "It depends on whoever is getting involved in the track.

"There's often plenty of different things happening in our songs, but that doesn't mean we're not into the idea of doing a simple rap over a basic beat. We like doing real straight stuff, real hardcore stuff too."

After several false starts, the band made waves with the independently-released Underwater Rimes - which became a surprise hit in the Netherlands and landed Digital Underground a deal with Tommy Boy Records, the iconic hip-hop label that was home to De La Soul, Afrika Bambaataa and Naughty By Nature.

Their debut album, Sex Packets, was released in 1990 and quickly went platinum thanks to singles such as Doowutchyalike and The Humpty Dance.

"The Humpty Dance spoke to all the people that were like him," said Malonga. "The fat people, the unattractive people. If you moved like him, you could be whatever you want."

The song, which earned Digital Underground a Grammy nomination, was actually a last-minute addition to the album after another track, Underground System, was pulled over sample clearance issues.

The Humpty Dance became an MTV staple thanks, in part, to the character of Humpty - voiced by Jacobs as a flamboyant, pimp-like character with a blubbery, stuttering voice. He was often played on stage by Kent Racker, leaving many fans unaware that Shock and Humpty were the same person.

While the song marked the band's commercial peak, they remained a powerful force in hip-hop, releasing six albums before winding down in 2008.

Their 1991 single Same Song boasts one of 2Pac's first appearances on a commercial recording. Jacobs had mentored the rapper at the start of his career, giving him work as a roadie while shopping his demo tape to record labels.

He later produced and rapped on 2Pac's first top 10 single I Get Around, as well as 1995's So Many Tears - but he never took credit for the star's success.

"It's a lucky thing in the other direction," he told Rolling Stone in 2017. "Pac discovered us, man, we didn't discover his ass. No way."

Among his other credits, Jacob co-wrote LL Cool J's 1991 hit Mama Said Knock You Out, mixed Prince's single Love Sign, and appeared on a remix of Luniz's I Got 5 On It.

He also toured and performed with George Clinton and P-Funk, including a set at Woodstock 1999.

"Oh no, not Shock G," tweeted Parliament-Funkadelic bassist Bootsy Collins. "He helped keep P Funk Alive! Prayers to family & friends. Dang."

And 2Pac's official page shared a 1995 quote from the rapper, which read: "I look back [on my times with Shock G] with the greatest fondness. Those were like some of the best times of my life."

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Back in the day, I may or may not have stripped to Personal Jesus.

Were those your fire baton dayz?

• Laugh 6

This site has been lousy again for me. And a crappy new feature is - if I'm reading posts and someone "likes" one of mine then their avatar pops up on my screen and fills the whole window and then some, all big and blurry, and I can't get rid of it and just have to wait for it to go away. What an oddly craptastic feature to add.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

This site has been lousy again for me. And a crappy new feature is - if I'm reading posts and someone "likes" one of mine then their avatar pops up on my screen and fills the whole window and then some, all big and blurry, and I can't get rid of it and just have to wait for it to go away. What an oddly craptastic feature to add.

Yep. I was just talking about that upthread. It's rather alarming.

• Like 4

At the start of every disaster movie is a scientist being ignored … In 1988, U.S. scientist James Hansen went before Congress and testified about his research into the warming of the planet. More than 30 years later, Hansen’s prediction that the average global temperature could rise by about 1 degree Celsius (almost 2 degrees Fahrenheit) by 2019 has come to pass. His warning, and appeals for action from Hansen and others, went largely ignored by policymakers, despite an avalanche of confirmatory research from ensuing generations of climate scientists.

This is the Reuters list of the world’s top climate scientists. To build it, we created a system of identifying and ranking 1,000 climate academics according to how influential they are.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

OMG you guys. I had a dream about Victor last night. Not a sex dream, thank heavens but a romantic dream where we were going to run away together. Yikes! No more cake and ice cream before bed for me!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Laugh 6
  • Surprise 1

First Saturday in May is Kentucky Derby Day!

Our wedding anniversary. We got married on May 3rd, 1980 and it was the first time a filly had won the Kentucky Derby in something like a hundred years. We stopped by a bar in between receptions (we had three) and watched it with some of the wedding party.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Happy Anniversary!!

Thank you! Forty one years and most of our friends didn't give it six months. Heh.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2