Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Jessica Walter, the award-winning actress whose career spanned five decades, passed away in her sleep at home in New York City on Wednesday, March 24. She was 80.

Walter’s career included everything from a standout turn in Clint Eastwood’s directorial debut, Play Misty for Me, to The Flamingo Kid and her Emmy-nominated turns on Trapper John M..D. and Streets of San Francisco. For her performance as Lucille Bluth in Arrested Development, Walter earned yet another Emmy nomination (Outstanding Supporting Actress) and two SAG nominations.

Walter won an Emmy starring in Amy Prentiss, an Ironside spinoff in the mid-1970s about a young San Francisco police detective. She also voiced Malory Archer on FXX’s animated series Archer.

First saw her in Play Misty For Me at the drive in with my mom. Damn.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Jessica Walter, the award-winning actress whose career spanned five decades, passed away in her sleep at home in New York City on Wednesday, March 24. She was 80.

Walter’s career included everything from a standout turn in Clint Eastwood’s directorial debut, Play Misty for Me, to The Flamingo Kid and her Emmy-nominated turns on Trapper John M..D. and Streets of San Francisco. For her performance as Lucille Bluth in Arrested Development, Walter earned yet another Emmy nomination (Outstanding Supporting Actress) and two SAG nominations.

Walter won an Emmy starring in Amy Prentiss, an Ironside spinoff in the mid-1970s about a young San Francisco police detective. She also voiced Malory Archer on FXX’s animated series Archer.

First saw her in Play Misty For Me at the drive in with my mom. Damn.

32 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Sad.  She was a wonderful actress.  Hell of a career.

I loved her.  Play Misty for Me to Arrested Development, she could do anything.  That voice of hers was magic.

• Love 8
On 3/24/2021 at 11:32 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

* They are loud, offensive, dissonant and angry ... Put on a helmet.

Yeah, now you're playin' my music.

I was surprised to see you go Lydia Lunch. I was betting you wouldn't. Good thing I didn't wager with myself.

And Le Tigre! haha, I thought I was the only one who listened to them.

Happy Birthday, @OhioSongbird!

Today is my, & Y&R's, bday.

I need to watch Where's Poppa again. George Segal, Jessica Walter, with actors of that caliber I'm afraid to ask who's next. You know how celebrities tend to go in threes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

* They are loud, offensive, dissonant and angry ... Put on a helmet.

6 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

Yeah, now you're playin' my music.

HTB1_JGSayzxK1Rjy1zkq6yHrVXal.jpg

I was surprised to see you go Lydia Lunch. I was betting you wouldn't. Good thing I didn't wager with myself.

And Le Tigre! haha, I thought I was the only one who listened to them.

You are not alone.

I programmed music for snarling insomniacs in the olden daze.

I need to watch Where's Poppa again. George Segal, 

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is stellar, and King Rat is excellent.

Jessica Walter, with actors of that caliber 

She was excellent in The Slums of Beverly Hills.

I'm afraid to ask who's next. You know how celebrities tend to go in threes.

I'm staying far away from the Celebrity Death Pool.

• Love 5

I finally got glasses yesterday! I have never needed them before but it's gotten to point where I really shouldn't have been driving. I don't need them for the computer or reading books, newspapers, etc. Anyway I can read Faith's texts now. Just in time for her to get screwed over again. 

• Love 8

Larry McMurtry, a prolific, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and Oscar-winning screenwriter, has died at age 84. He was beloved for riveting and yet unsentimental depictions of the American West in books such as Lonesome Dove as well as for tales of family drama including Terms of Endearment.

In a statement, his representative Amanda Lundberg said McMurtry "passed away last night, on March 25 of heart failure at 84 years old surrounded by his loved ones who he lived with including long time writing partner Diana Ossana, his wife Norma Faye and their three dogs."

In all, McMurtry wrote more than 30 novels as well as over a dozen nonfiction works that spanned memoir, history and essays. He wrote over 20 screenplays and television scripts as well.

God, I feel like the Angel of Death today:

NEW YORK (AP) — Beverly Cleary, the celebrated children’s author whose memories of her Oregon childhood were shared with millions through the likes of Ramona and Beezus Quimby and Henry Huggins, has died. She was 104.

Cleary’s publisher HarperCollins announced Friday that the author died Thursday in Northern California, where she had lived since the 1960s. No cause of death was given.

Trained as a librarian, Cleary didn’t start writing books until her early 30s when she wrote “Henry Huggins,” published in 1950. Children worldwide came to love the adventures of Huggins and neighbors Ellen Tebbits, Otis Spofford, Beatrice “Beezus” Quimby and her younger sister, Ramona. They inhabit a down-home, wholesome setting on Klickitat Street — a real street in Portland, Oregon, the city where Cleary spent much of her youth.

Among the “Henry” titles were “Henry and Ribsy,” “Henry and the Paper Route” and “Henry and Beezus.”

• Love 2

104!  That's quite a life.  

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I finally got glasses yesterday! I have never needed them before but it's gotten to point where I really shouldn't have been driving. I don't need them for the computer or reading books, newspapers, etc. Anyway I can read Faith's texts now. Just in time for her to get screwed over again. 

cd11912-cat-driving-car-birthday-card.jpg

Edited by Snaporaz
  • LOL 8
On 3/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

You are not alone.

I programmed music for snarling insomniacs in the olden daze.

I know you sometimes use Cramps album cover for your avatar. 🎶 (I wanted to use a heart emoji but there's a very limited choice here.)

On 3/26/2021 at 1:09 PM, OhioSongbird said:

Happy Birthday back SweetPea59!

Aries rule!!!

Thanx!

On 3/26/2021 at 1:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

Right on Sister. I'm one too. April 4th.

Thanx!

On 3/26/2021 at 2:03 PM, OhioSongbird said:

No wonder I like you guys so much.....

Great minds think alike ya know.

😉

Only an Aries understands another Aries. I don't know what's wrong with those other signs.

6 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

🥳 HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEEPEA !!!

((( hugs and smooches )))

Thanx!

• Love 6

As promised.....

This is boychild's favorite cake hands-down.  Just plain , no icing.

Ultimate Pound Cake

1 c butter (at room temp)

3 c sugar

3 c all-purpose flour

6 eggs

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 c sour cream

2 tsp vanilla

Get out your mixer, you're gonna need it!  Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each.

In another bowl mix flour, salt and soda.  Add alternately with sour cream (some flour, some s cream, more flour...you get the gist) mixing well between each.  Mix well and add vanilla.  Bake in a bundt pan at 325 for 1 hr 15-20 min.  Check with long skewer.  Butter the pan and use sugar to coat....this works well on any cake.  No ugly flour residue and it makes a wonderful crust.

Got this recipe from the food editor at the local newspaper years ago.  It's great on its own but it's a perfect starter for strawberry shortcake, a trifle, sundaes, with fruit.

Just damn fine cake.

Enjoy!

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

As promised.....

Ultimate Pound Cake

3 c sugar

3 c all-purpose flour

6 eggs

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 c sour cream

2 tsp vanilla

Get out your mixer, you're gonna need it!  Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each.

In another bowl mix flour, salt and soda.  Add alternately with sour cream (some flour, some s cream, more flour...you get the gist) mixing well between each.  Mix well and add vanilla.  Bake in a bundt pan at 325 for 1 hr 15-20 min.  Check with long skewer.  Butter the pan and use sugar to coat....this works well on any cake.  No ugly flour residue and it makes a wonderful crust.

Got this recipe from the food editor at the local newspaper years ago.  It's great on its own but it's a perfect starter for strawberry shortcake, a trifle, sundaes, with fruit.

Just damn fine cake.

Enjoy!

I've been looking for a really great pound cake recipe. Looks like I just found it!

Aries The Ramimage.png.8ef47bfc433f25609f76170a7f37ed09.png

• Love 5
2 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

As promised.....

Ultimate Pound Cake

3 c sugar

3 c all-purpose flour

6 eggs

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 c sour cream

2 tsp vanilla

Just damn fine cake.

Enjoy!

Immediately in my recipe folder. Fat is key to the perfect pound cake.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

What is this 'margarine' of which you speak?

Never heard of such a thing....

Perhaps you know if as the dreaded Oleo - which was also the chant used by the soldiers at the castle of the Wicked Witch of the West.

Coincidence?  I think....Not...

Edited by boes
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 3/28/2021 at 7:26 PM, peacheslatour said:

What kind of cake? Mmmm, cake.....

Well, I'm gluten intolerant, so no good food for me. And I have food allergies...sigh. So I made myself a strawberry cake. I use coconut flour so I always have to use fruit or vegetables for body. Usually I use grated zucchini. You don't taste it. And if you use enough vanilla anything will taste like birthday cake, haha. I also like to use canned crushed pineapple. So  I got fresh out of season strawbs and used the stick blender. My recipe only makes a single layer cake. I made a buttercream icing and iced half vanilla and then added cocoa powder and iced the other half chocolate. All in all it was kind of like neopolitan ice cream. It was good and I enjoyed it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

Well, I'm gluten intolerant, so no good food for me. And I have food allergies...sigh. So I made myself a strawberry cake. I use coconut flour so I always have to use fruit or vegetables for body. Usually I use grated zucchini. You don't taste it. And if you use enough vanilla anything will taste like birthday cake, haha. I also like to use canned crushed pineapple. So  I got fresh out of season strawbs and used the stick blender. My recipe only makes a single layer cake. I made a buttercream icing and iced half vanilla and then added cocoa powder and iced the other half chocolate. All in all it was kind of like neopolitan ice cream. It was good and I enjoyed it.

OMG, that sounds great!

• Love 6

Oh my gods...I just saw that Jeopardy has replaced the late great Alex Trebek with that cheesy charlatan huckster Dr. Oz.  Let me phrase this as a question.  What is The Actual Fuck?  Is this just an interim thing, or is he the new host?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Not to worry Snap.  He's only one of the guest hosts.  His stint is up Fri.  They've had Ken Jennings, Katie Couric, and now Oz (I'm not a fan either).  Ken Jennings should get the gig IMHO.  Very respectful of the legacy of Jeopardy & Alex and he's funny.

• Love 6