Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Thanks, Boes. This was just part of my interactions today with my boss. 

Boss: Did you call this patient to confirm for Monday.
Me: I sent him an email two days ago, and left two voicemails.
Boss: He has to take 4 antibiotic 1 hour before his appointment!
Me: I know. I wrote it in the agenda and will tell him when he confirms. He's coming at 1 PM Monday.
Boss: Call his house number!
Me: He doesn't have one.
Boss: Call his wife!
Me (calls wife)
Wife: I don't know if he has antibiotics. Call the other number.
Me: I did. He didn't answer.
Wife: Well if I talk to him I'll tell him.
Me: Thank you.
Boss: HE HAS TO TAKE 4 PILLS I HOUR BEFORE. WRITE IT IN HIS FILE. CALL HIM AGAIN AND KEEP CALLING UNTIL HE ANSWERS. You have to call every number on file. This is common sense. You've been here a year. You need to wake up.

Boss: Have this patient come an hour before.
Me (calls the house number and leaves a message)
Boss: Call her cell! She has a cell, you should have it in her file! Ask her when she comes and put it in her file!
Me: I don't have a cell. I have her work number.
Boss: Call her at work! But I think she might be retired. 
Me (if she's working I don't think she'll come an hour earlier, plus you just told me you think she retired but whatever. )
Me (calls her work)
Receptionist: Sorry, she's working from home.
Boss: Call her at home again! Call her husband's cell. Leave a message! In English! Bring everyone up an hour!

Me (later): Patient wants to have wisdom teeth extracted. Can come Monday after two only.
Boss: Why not at 11?
Me: She didn't say. She said she's only available after 2 PM.
Boss: Call her parents! They have to bring in the consent form! Call them! Call the other number too!
Me (calls patient and tells her she was given a form in March to sign. Patient remembers and says she will bring it in.)
Boss: YOU DIDN'T SAY A CONSENT FORM. YOU JUST SAID FORM. HOW WILL SHE KNOW WHAT FORM IT IS? YOU NEED TO WAKE UP. YOU'VE BEEN HERE A YEAR. WRITE THIS DOWN. THEY HAVE TO SIGN AN CONSENT FORM 48 HOURS BEFORE AND UNDER 21 THE PARENTS HAVE TO SIGN OR ELSE THEY SUE US. I want you to learn, to have love in your heart for this job, blah blah blah blah

I'm so tired of this bullshit. I've worked jobs where I was treated well and appreciated for my work. I was told how patients liked me, I was efficient. All I hear from this ass is everything I do wrong. Like if you're not happy, fire me. I can go on unemployment and find a job where I'm appreciated. And you can become the dentist and the secretary since you can do no wrong. Even though you yell at patients, treat them like crap, screw over insurance companies, and constantly use the wrong pronouns for people. Do you know how confusing it is to hear 'she' or 'her' when he's referring to a man and vise versa? But if I make a mistake, I don't hear the end of it. 

I don't know if all dental offices are like this, but so far I'm not amused.

This is so not right, and I know you need this job, but if you ever get to that point, you should be a whistleblower. This is completely unacceptable treatment of an employee. I am so sorry that you are having to endure this.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

@Snaporaz he refuses to take any. He thinks he's fine. But he's always going on about how this patient or that patient isn't right in the head. Oh the irony.

Also, his wife has told me multiple times that the consent form can be signed the same day and that he's just being difficult. So when he tells me things like until 21 the parents have to sign I am inclined to disbelieve him since everything out of his mouth is a lie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Preakness Stakes finish order -- Official race results.

Order Horse  Win      Place   Show

1 Rombauer  $25.60  $10.00  $5.20

2 Midnight Bourbon  $4.60   $3.00

3 Medina Spirit                     $2.80

4 Keepmeinmind   

5 Crowded Trade   

6 Unbridled Honor   

7 France Go De Ina   

8 Risk Taking   

9 Concert Tour   

10 Ram

A Kentucky home for retired racehorses

• Love 4
On 5/14/2021 at 10:05 PM, Snaporaz said:

Oh my gods, jewel...the next call you need to make is to this guy's psychiatrist, because he seriously needs his meds adjusted!

@pearlite, have you had any luck on the vaccine front?

Hi SNAPORAZ!

Yes, in fact--just over a week ago, the day I stopped teaching for a few days. Convoluted story about how I hit a provincial/city link just in time--because at this point, people registering have to wait til July for first shot.

Still a mess here but there's more Pfizer available all the time, so that's good. Had a day or so's reaction to it, but that's all. Second jab at the end of August.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Hi SNAPORAZ!

Yes, in fact--just over a week ago, the day I stopped teaching for a few days. Convoluted story about how I hit a provincial/city link just in time--because at this point, people registering have to wait til July for first shot.

Still a mess here but there's more Pfizer available all the time, so that's good. Had a day or so's reaction to it, but that's all. Second jab at the end of August.

We got our second jab last week. I have to say I reacted more strongly to the second one than the first. Chills, body aches, nausea and headache, fatigue. The day after that, however I felt great! Hubby had no issues at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

That's great news, pearlite!  From what I hear, Pfizer is the vaccine of choice for hot people.  No, I'm not kidding!  Alas, dweeby me gets my second dose of Moderna on Wednesday.  

I probably will continue to mask up even after I'm fully vaccinated, no matter what the guidelines are.  The same wackos who are anti-maskers are also anti-vaxxers, so who can trust them with the honor system?

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Okay, this is beyond what I know as satire...

Does an NYC copy pull over with a sympathetic look just before ticketing you?

E1nyp2kXsAEw7Ze.jpg

E1nyp2JXEAIymzN.jpg

Better than having cops show up in riot gear in a fraught situation where a person may be having an emotional break down. Those situations call for de-escalation not confrontation

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/16/2021 at 4:02 PM, Snaporaz said:

I probably will continue to mask up even after I'm fully vaccinated, no matter what the guidelines are.  The same wackos who are anti-maskers are also anti-vaxxers, so who can trust them with the honor system?

I felt this way until today when I had to run up to the grocery store and it’s like 100% humidity and I was like fuck it.   (I am fully vax). On the other hand I haven’t told kiddo that he doesn’t have to wear a mask to school anymore and he’s none the wiser.  Yet. 😂🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by geauxaway
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Charles Grodin, Star of 'Heaven Can Wait,' 'Midnight Run,' Dies at 86

Charles Grodin, best known for the neurotic comic wit he demonstrated in such films as "The Heartbreak Kid," "Heaven Can Wait" and "Midnight Run" and for his role in the "Beethoven" movies, died Tuesday at his home in Connecticut. He was 86.

The New York Times reported that his son said he died of bone marrow cancer.

After getting his start in television, Grodin graduated to both leading and character roles in motion pictures, usually portraying the exasperated urban neurotic. His dry, understated sense of humor also made him a perfect talkshow guest, and later, host of his own cable show. Grodin also wrote plays and books.

The wry 1972 comedy "The Heartbreak Kid," written by Neil Simon and directed by Elaine May, highlighted Grodin's trademark neurotic befuddlement, and won him a Golden Globe nomination. But it was one of the few successful films in his career in which he was center stage.

Another one of his better comic assignments was Warren Beatty's 1978 "Heaven Can Wait," in which Grodin, playing the scheming, larcenous lawyer, was paired humorously with Dyan Cannon's character in adultery and homicide. But he was definitely a supporting player in the film, which starred Beatty and Julie Christie.

The film in which Grodin's talents were perhaps best utilized was Martin Brest's 1988 adventure comedy "Midnight Run," in which he starred opposite Robert De Niro. Roger Ebert said: "De Niro is often said to be the best movie actor of his generation. Grodin has been in the movies just about as long, has appeared in more different titles and is of more or less the same generation, but has never received the recognition he deserves -- maybe because he often plays a quiet, self-effacing everyman. In 'Midnight Run,' where he is literally handcuffed to De Niro at times, he is every bit the master's equal, and in the crucial final scene it is Grodin who finds the emotional truth that defines their relationship."

Grodin made his Broadway debut in 1962's "Tchin Tchin"; he was in a supporting role but was singled out for praise. It was followed by another comedy in 1964, "Absence of a Cello."

Two years later he co-wrote and directed an Off Broadway musical spoof, "Hooray! It's a Glorious Day....And All That." He then directed Joe Bologna and Renee Taylor's successful "Lovers and Other Strangers."

He was hired and fired from Bruce Jay Friedman's "Steambath," as were several other actors. For television he directed a special for Simon and Garfunkel in 1969 and "The Paul Simon Special" in 1977; for the latter he won a shared Emmy for writing.

Grodin made his film debut in the little-seen "Sex and the College Girl" in 1964, after which he turned down the lead role in "The Graduate," which made Dustin Hoffman a star. His real film debut was a supporting role as a doctor in 1968's "Rosemary's Baby." The next time "Graduate" director Mike Nichols asked him to appear in a movie, Grodin said yes, though the film was the less-than-successful "Catch-22."

Grodin began to emphasize writing and directing more than acting but, in 1972, Elaine May convinced him to take the lead in "The Heartbreak Kid," to which he particularly well suited.

His 1974 effort "11 Harrowhouse," a caper-film spoof, was a failure, and Grodin fell back into directing Bologna and Taylor's Emmy-winning "Acts of Love and Other Comedies," starring Marlo Thomas, whom he directed the following year in the Broadway comedy "Thieves." He later starred in the film version along with Thomas.

In 1975 he starred on Broadway opposite Ellen Burstyn in "Same Time, Next Year," though he was passed over for the film, which starred Burstyn and Alan Alda. He next produced and directed the Broadway comedy "Unexpected Guests" and appeared to comic effect in the big-budget remake of "King Kong" and in 1978's "Heaven Can Wait."

Over the next decade he starred in a number of successful films, often in support, playing a variation on his comic persona. He toplined in 1979's "Sunburn" and Albert Brooks' 1979 mockumentary "Real Life." He starred in the comedies "It's My Turn" and "Seems Like Old Times" as well as with Lily Tomlin in "The Incredible Shrinking Woman." He co-starred in two Steve Martin vehicles, "The Lonely Guy" and "All of Me" (which also starred Tomlin) and in Gene Wilder comedy "The Woman in Red." He wrote the Hollywood spoof "Movers and Shakers," in which he co-starred with Walter Matthau in 1985. Later in the decade he appeared in "The Last Resort," the disastrous "Ishtar" and "The Couch Trip."

During this period his biggest hit by far both commercially and critically was "Midnight Run," in which he starred with Robert De Niro.

Grodin's return to the stage in 1990 in "The Price of Fame," which he penned and starred in Off Broadway, did not succeed, and he went on to pen one-act play "One of the All-Time Greats," which was produced in 1992.

He had a memorable supporting role as Kevin Kline's sidekick in 1993 hit film comedy "Dave." Other films from the '90s included "Heart and Souls," "Taking Care of Business" and the sleeper family comedy "Beethoven" and its first sequel. He also appeared in "The Great Muppet Caper" and "Clifford" opposite Martin Short.

As an author, Grodin had a number of healthy performers including his 1989 autobiography "It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here," his 1992 comic observation "How to Get Through Life" and his behind-the-scenes "We're Ready for You, Mr. Grodin," published in 1994.

Because of his numerous talkshow appearances over the years, in which he often launched into mock arguments with his hosts, King World Syndicate offered Grodin his own show, which debuted in 1994. He moved over to CNBC in 1995 and hosted his own primetime show for a few years. Many of the guests were personal friends, and the show received good reviews.

The actor returned to the bigscreen in 2006 after a 12-year absence for the comedy "Fast Track," and his play "The Right Kind of People" was staged Off Broadway the same year.

More recently he appeared on the smallscreen in a 2012 episode of "Law & Order: SVU," in 2013 in a guest role on "The Michael J. Fox Show" and in a recurring role on FX's Louis C.K. comedy "Louie" in 2014-15.

He appeared in director Barry Levinson's film "The Humbling," with Buck Henry having co-scripted an adaptation of Philip Roth's novel. It was released in January 2015 and starred Al Pacino as an aging actor named Simon; Variety described Grodin's performance as "deliciously sardonic," as he looks "like the cat who ate the canary -- along with the entire birdcage -- as Simon's long-suffering agent."

Grodin also had a supporting role as a documentary filmmaker in director Noah Baumbach's "While We're Young," released in 2015.

He also apppeared in ABC's 2016 "Madoff" miniseries, playing Carl Shapiro, a Boston philanthropist who was one of Madoff's earliest investors and eventually had to return $625 million.

Charles Grodinsky was born in Pittsburgh and was valedictorian of his class at Peabody High School. He decided to pursue a career in the theater, he once told a reporter, after seeing "A Place in the Sun." He studied acting at the University of Miami for half a year and then received a scholarship to the Pittsburgh Playhouse School of the Theater. By the mid-'50s he was appearing in summer stock in his home state. He tried Hollywood briefly, then moved to New York with the intention of studying at the Actors Studio. He failed his initial audition but went on to study under Uta Hagen for three years, supporting himself with odd jobs. Through a introduction to Lee Strasberg he was admitted to the Actors Studio in 1959.

Grodin is survived by his wife, author Elissa Durwood Grodin, their son Nicholas, and his daughter Marion.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:12 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

So, I have a story about this.

When hubs and I were in uni in TO we used to see LJB and he was amazing.

Then we moved to our current city. As a young PR person I had a job that involved getting celebs to do PSAs (that is a whole other story for another day).

We went to a sort of club, not a night club, but a venue, where John and Kathy were performing. Through some contacts they agreed to sit with us after the performance and talk about it. We had drinks.

Kathy was awesome! John agreed to do the PSA and we set it up that I would drive him to my guy who had a recording studio in his house. What I didn't know was that John (Long John) had been in a serious car accident before this, and was terrified to be in a car. I had a tiny Toyota Tercel that he barely fit into. Luckily, it was a Sunday and no traffic, but it was clear he was petrified to be in my car, and I was equally terrified that I was creating his terror.

We got to my producer's house and thankfully he just took over and put everyone at ease. John also had a very serious cold, so I wondered what we could accomplish.

Of course, he was a pro, and then we recorded amazing audio for our PSAs. I still cannot believe that he agreed to do this, let alone let me drive him to the studio.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, bannana said:

So, I have a story about this.

When hubs and I were in uni in TO we used to see LJB and he was amazing.

Then we moved to our current city. As a young PR person I had a job that involved getting celebs to do PSAs (that is a whole other story for another day).

We went to a sort of club, not a night club, but a venue, where John and Kathy were performing. Through some contacts they agreed to sit with us after the performance and talk about it. We had drinks.

Kathy was awesome! John agreed to do the PSA and we set it up that I would drive him to my guy who had a recording studio in his house. What I didn't know was that John (Long John) had been in a serious car accident before this, and was terrified to be in a car. I had a tiny Toyota Tercel that he barely fit into. Luckily, it was a Sunday and no traffic, but it was clear he was petrified to be in my car, and I was equally terrified that I was creating his terror.

We got to my producer's house and thankfully he just took over and put everyone at ease. John also had a very serious cold, so I wondered what we could accomplish.

Of course, he was a pro, and then we recorded amazing audio for our PSAs. I still cannot believe that he agreed to do this, let alone let me drive him to the studio.

Wonderful Day In The Life story about one of my favorite British singers, bannana. How long were you in PR?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Wonderful Day In The Life story about one of my favorite British singers, bannana. How long were you in PR?

For about five years but then I eventually got promoted to running the nonprofit I worked for.

LJB was so amazing, we saw him perform quite a few times and it was like he was on the B or C list at that time, so the venues were all quite intimate. Sigh, those were the days.

• Love 8

LJB was so amazing, we saw him perform quite a few times and it was like he was on the B or C list at that time, so the venues were all quite intimate. Sigh, those were the days.

Don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

LJB was at the nexus of the 1960s British blues scene. The man played with or for everyone we consider classic British Rock. An amazing talent and generous spirit, whose influence lives on in present day UK Soul and R&B.

Eric Burdon, Stevie Winwood, Long John Baldry, Julie Driscoll and Rod Stewart - I Feel Alright  -- The Fifth National Jazz and Blues Festival, Richmond, August 8th 1965

Cyril Davies R&B All-Stars with Long John Baldry - Night Time Is The Right Time (1963)

-- Long John Baldry Appreciation Page -- YouTube

Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated ft. Long John Baldrey video list

Long John Baldry Wikipedia Page

Yeah, you know I'm a hoochie coochie man
Everybody knows I'm here

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

So great, thanks @Cupid Stunt.

Baldry, when performing, always told the story of how he discovered Rod Stewart who was busking at a train station. And I believe Rod Stewart also confirmed that story.

When I went to meet him after we met the first time (and before I drove him to the studio) it was in a bar on a Sunday, and the bar was closed. The doors were open and I saw the poster that Eartha Kitt would be performing that week(!). There was no one on the main floor so I went up the stairs. LJB and several men were seated around a board room table. 

A couple of the men took great delight in trying to razz me (young, blonde, they thought I was stupid). Baldry would have none of that. He said to meet downstairs.

I waited downstairs and then we sat around a table in the bar. One of the men was very vulgar, and I am sure I looked like a baby deer caught in the headlights. I was there to do a job, but I was also a hug fan of LJB. I did not expect to hear the things I heard that day. Baldry shut him down eventually.  He was lovely, as was everyone else, but that one guy, he really wanted to shock me and he did.

• Love 8
(edited)
16 hours ago, bannana said:

You have sent me down a LJB rabbit hole @Cupid Stunt. I had never heard/seen his early stuff from the sixties.

Just climbed out of that chasm with a full folder of video goodies. I'm the same way about KPop.

My mother has been a big fan of British Blues and R&B since she worked her first job at 16 in the record department of Wagner's Hardware Store (small town one-stop shopping). She has a huge collection of early 60's vinyl albums and 45s.

When my radio station was transitioning to digital, a ragtag group of pirate engineers 'appropriated' 4 analog record libraries, keeping them out of landfills; there was no market for 2nd hand vinyl in the 80s. 

Our LJB collection is very nearly complete.  His last record label, Stony Plain Records, is a quirky organization and not very good about promoting their older catalog, so we're missing several of LJBs early 90s original issues.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Have you guys checked out The Linda Lindas? They have a great new song out. Who says punk is dead?

Not me.

Excellent deployment of parochial schoolgirl uniform skirts and tube socks. Money well spent.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Not me.

Excellent deployment of parochial schoolgirl uniform skirts and tube socks. Money well spent.

If that's their school library, I'm doubly thrilled with these girls.

Young?  Check

Angry? Check

Don't really give a shit how they sound?  Check.

Nice to see punk rock is still alive and well.

• Love 5

Well Steve and I are both exhausted. 

His vet visit took over 3 hours yesterday and cost me over $500 and that's not counting last week's visit. At one point, I had to wait for a barium x-ray and they told me to walk around for an hour. I just walked the residential streets until 6 PM while talking to my mom, came back and was told they still weren't ready, waited outside another 15 minutes before finally being led back in, and then had to sit in a closed room for another 15 minutes. 

Steve is... not dying, but not great. 

Basically his stools aren't normal. Too small, too narrow, and drying too quickly. A gram stain revealed he only has one type of bacteria in the stools which is also not normal. When asked what that meant exactly, the vet said that bacteria is eating all of the other bacteria and taking over, so a 14 day antibiotic regime begins. I also paid more to have them send off a culture of the stools to ensure we're using the proper antibiotic to treat the issue. 

The second, more concerning problem, is that he said even with the barium, the vet couldn't get a good view of Steve's gullet and that is unusual. Normally the gullet lights up super white on an x-ray. Steve's did not, and had some broken white spots but was mostly gray. What he thinks is going on, and he can only hypothesize, is that there is something in Steve's gullet that is not showing up on film. He thinks it might be fibers or plastics, but he suspect it's most likely fibers. I have a blanket I put over his cage at night and I think that *may* be the culprit. The fibers can't be removed, and because he's so small, they can't be viewed with an endoscopy. 

These fibers take up room in the stomach and as a result, Steve doesn't eat as much because he feels full. And even when he feels hungry, if he eats too much, he regurgitates. This results in a skinny bird. The suggestion was to take away any fibers, change his food to high potency (higher calorie content) and weigh him regularly.

I haven't weighed him yet today because he hasn't eaten much. I might start tomorrow. I also mixed in some high potency food pellets with his regular one but so far he's only picked at his treats. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Yppah - Never Mess With Sunday

Clip - Tumbler

Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You

Hit Back - Afternoon

Pearl Jam - Black - MTV Unplugged

Mudvayne - Forget to Remember

Gardens & Villa - Spacetime

Nash - Armageddon Dance

Heartless Bastards - Marathon

MUTEMATH - ODD SOUL

LITTLE FEAT - Trouble

Ruby Velle & The Soulphonics - It's About Time

The Heavy - Can't Play Dead

Terraplane Sun - Ya Never Know

Six Def - I'm The King

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Closer and Closer Apart

KENNY BURRELL - Midnight Blue (1963)

Italy wins 2021 Eurovision Song Contest following tight race -- "We just want to say, to the whole of Europe, to the whole world, rock 'n' roll never dies," Maneskin's frontman Damiano David has said after winning.

Sure, if it's GlamMetal, circa Marilyn Manson 1997. There will be platforms, pleather and PYRO!

-- Fan Video of Final

Måneskin - Zitti E Buoni - Second Rehearsal - Italy 🇮🇹 - Eurovision 2021 

CNN Report: Italy wins Eurovision Song Contest as the world's biggest music event returns in Rotterdam

Måneskin - Zitti E Buoni - Italy 🇮🇹 - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2021

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

Italy wins 2021 Eurovision Song Contest following tight race -- "We just want to say, to the whole of Europe, to the whole world, rock 'n' roll never dies," Maneskin's frontman Damiano David has said after winning.

Sure, if it's GlamMetal, circa Marilyn Manson 1997. There will be platforms, pleather and PYRO!

Cupid Stunt thanks for posting the videos from the 2021 Eurovision Song Contest which I watched LIVE thanks to Peacock 😃!

I was absolutely shocked when it started and the auditorium was completely full of screaming fans with no masks, except for a few scenes backstage and definitely no six feet apart seating rules. 😮  I see lots of Covid 19 cases in the future for anyone that was there and unvaccinated.

I enjoyed hearing all 26 of the songs from countries competing.  Voting took forever when the countries' jury panels gave out their votes to their favorite country for 12 points. They couldn't vote for their own country.  The three countries which led  at the end of the first round of voting were 1) Switzerland 😃

2) France and 3) Malta.  Italy wasn't even in contention to win at this point.  I had a feeling that France might win especially when I heard last year's winner from the Netherlands sing what was a really moving and beautiful song.  France's song this year was very similar and I loved it!.

My favorite was Malta in third who was the favorite to win singing "Je le Casse" by Destiny, a female 4 persons of color group. 😍

Fans across Europe were voting and when all the votes from them were added into the first round the totals changed dramatically.  Countries that were not very good or way down in the competition jumped big time.  Malta didn't get as many votes from the fans and fell out of the Top 10 😧.  Switzerland had won most of the jury voting and they fell to 3rd.  France moved up to 2nd and Italy jumped from way at the bottom to be the winner🤢.  I had a bad feeling after they sang and the response from the crowd which was loud and crazy that they might win, but I absolutely HATED them.  

Cupid Stunt's comment:

was spot on! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, dbklmt said:

Cupid Stunt thanks for posting the videos from the 2021 Eurovision Song Contest which I watched LIVE thanks to Peacock 😃!

I was absolutely shocked when it started and the auditorium was completely full of screaming fans with no masks, except for a few scenes backstage and definitely no six feet apart seating rules. 😮  I see lots of Covid 19 cases in the future for anyone that was there and unvaccinated.

I enjoyed hearing all 26 of the songs from countries competing.  Voting took forever when the countries' jury panels gave out their votes to their favorite country for 12 points. They couldn't vote for their own country.  The three countries which led  at the end of the first round of voting were 1) Switzerland 😃

2) France and 3) Malta.  Italy wasn't even in contention to win at this point.  I had a feeling that France might win especially when I heard last year's winner from the Netherlands sing what was a really moving and beautiful song.  France's song this year was very similar and I loved it!.

My favorite was Malta in third who was the favorite to win singing "Je le Casse" by Destiny, a female 4 persons of color group. 😍

Fans across Europe were voting and when all the votes from them were added into the first round the totals changed dramatically.  Countries that were not very good or way down in the competition jumped big time.  Malta didn't get as many votes from the fans and fell out of the Top 10 😧.  Switzerland had won most of the jury voting and they fell to 3rd.  France moved up to 2nd and Italy jumped from way at the bottom to be the winner🤢.  I had a bad feeling after they sang and the response from the crowd which was loud and crazy that they might win, but I absolutely HATED them.  

Cupid Stunt's comment:

was spot on! 

Eurovision is impenetrable, untranslatable mayhem from this Left Coaster's couch. I love every minute of it. And since I don't entirely understand what I'm seeing and hearing, but I'm clicking my cha cha heels together and saying There's no place like Rome for the crazy St. Vitus gyrations in hair choreography snaking across the screen in smudged kohl guyliner and Russian Matryoshka doll costumes as the pyrotechnics singe the eyebrows off the first 10 rows of spectators. 

I actually expect the ceiling of the theatre to catch fire, as dayglo Spandex jumpsuits melt like hot fudge and the singers yodel that their national anthem will not go on without youuuuuuuuudle oooodle ooooooo! 

Seriously there's a lot of good talent under questionable production and fantastic production propping questionable talent. The criteria for talent nominations and competition voting escapes me, but I'm okay with that. It's all part of the Show.

Thanks for your take on the finals. I was partial to Malta too, but between winged Tix and Måneskin, they seemed to be media consensus favorites through out the contest.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, bannana said:

Love MCC. Saw her in concert a few times and her music actually brought me to tears. This did it again.

Isn't she wonderful! MCC was smart to back away from Nashville and sign with a smaller label when she did. She didn't fit with songwriting committees and narrowcasting genres into Country Pop. She stayed true to her talent and skill, saved her voice and sanity. She still writes and records superior music, with touring forays into the wilderness for those that love her.

• Love 3
(edited)

I love the Linda Lindas. In fact, just before I came here to read posts I thought, as soon as I'm done I'm going to go to youtube and hear them do Linda Linda.

Edited by SweePea59
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/23/2021 at 10:19 PM, dbklmt said:

I enjoyed hearing all 26 of the songs from countries competing.  Voting took forever when the countries' jury panels gave out their votes to their favorite country for 12 points. They couldn't vote for their own country.  

The Rotterdam Ahoy Arena (which was being used as a Covid field hospital this time last year) did look completely full, but it was actually only at 20% of capacity.  There were also very strict Covid measures in place.  The fans were allowed to remove their masks and forego social distancing once at their seats, but they went through a lot of screening before they got to that point.  

I thought they breezed through the voting in record time this year, because they only awarded the 12 points live.  In years past, every country awarded all of their points live (e.g., Spain's 3 points go to Cyprus, 4 points go to Denmark....8 points go to Serbia, etc.)  It used to take more than an hour tally all the votes!

I thought they did a great job with it all around.  And, yay Italy!

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I can't wait to show it to my husband! Do you remember KillDozer? My husband likes to joke that Marvin Heemyer is his hero. Not because he tried to basically take out the city of Granby CO. but because of the sheer engineering genius that went into creating that monster bulldozer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1