Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I need my preverts *sighs*

This job is still annoying and I feel that it's affecting me negatively. 

Friday was stressful and I felt anxious all day which for me is a tightness in my chest. 

My manager notices and asks me what's up and then says she wants to ask me something because she's been observing me for awhile. 

Basically, what am I going to do when my grandfather dies because I seem very 'dependent.' I told her I'm going to get an apartment and live my life. 

She then asks how I worked at my other jobs. I told her it was a normal environment where the boss wasn't constantly yelling at you and belittling you. 

She said I need to learn how to cope with stress. And that when she worked at another clinic, the dentist would yell at the secretaries, too. Now, I don't know if this is normal but I don't want it to be my normal. 

Also, she lives with the crazy dentist and she chose him. I on the other hand do not need to put up with mental anguish or abuse. And I don't think I should have to, either. 

Basically it's 'I need more energy. I need to learn to multi-task better. I have to hook the patient. I have to sell implants, etc.' Oh, and I need to 'Get off anti-depressants' because all I need to get over depression and anxiety is to 'exercise and lose weight.'

Jewel,

Your boss is abusive and manager is manipulative. There's nothing normal about being berated and yelled at on a regular basis at work. 

Get out and find another job, or find another job and get out.

Then contact your provincial labor relations board and dental professional standards/licensing association and file a detailed complaint against your employer. I assume you could look at any day on the calendar you have worked, and have a horror story about your boss verbally abusing you.

Your employer isn't going to change, and there's no likelihood you will adapt to the emotional and verbal abuse, nor should you.

Life is too short to work in a toxic environment that is making you more physically and mentally debilitated. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

Thanks guys. I hate the fact that they are making me believe that it's me who can't 'function' or handle the job or stress, etc. When it's not the job that is the issue but rather them and the toxic environment they are creating. They're trying to make me believe that it is normal but I know it's not. Yet, over time I am starting to doubt myself and my abilities. I know the signs. My father was verbally and mentally and at times physically abusive (to my brothers and mother.) I stopped speaking to him 20 years ago because I knew I deserved better. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Ya know, Cupid, I'm still waiting for Blondie or Deborah Ann solo to appear on one of your playlists this month. How much longer I gotta wait???

And wondering if you'll include the Cramps' Ivy Rorschach? The "uncrowned queen of rock 'n' roll".

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

Ya know, Cupid, I'm still waiting for Blondie or Deborah Ann solo to appear on one of your playlists this month. How much longer I gotta wait???

And wondering if you'll include the Cramps' Ivy Rorschach? The "uncrowned queen of rock 'n' roll".

I do take requests, and your wish is my pleasure, SweePea.  Ladies of the Grammy's compilation tomorrow.

• Love 6

Ladies of the 2021 Grammy's -- Part 1

Record of the Year

Billie Eilish - everything i wanted -- Winner

Doja Cat - Say So -- Nomination

Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now -- Nomination

Beyoncé - Black Parade -- Nomination

Megan Thee Stallion Featuring Beyoncé - Savage -- Nomination

Album Of The Year

Taylor Swift - FOLKLORE - WINNER -- Cardigan

Dua Lipa - FUTURE NOSTALGIA -- Nomination -- Future Nostalgia

HAIM - WOMEN IN MUSIC PT. III -- Nomination -- Man From The Magazine

Song of the Year

Beyoncé - BLACK PARADE - Nomination

Taylor Swift, - CARDIGAN - Nomonation

Dua Lipa - DON'T START NOW - Nominatrion

H.E.R. - I CAN'T BREATHE  -- Winner

Julia Michaels & JP Saxe - If the World Was Ending  - Nomination

Best New Artist

INGRID ANDRESS - Nomination - Lady Like
PHOEBE BRIDGERS - Nomination - I Know the End
CHIKA - Nomination - High Rises
NOAH CYRUS - Nomination - July
DOJA CAT - Nomination 
MEGAN THEE STALLION - WINNER

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande - Rain on Me - WINNER

Taylor Swift Featuring Bon Iver - Exile - Nomination

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album

Renée Zellweger - JUDY - Nomination - Over The Rainbow

Best Pop Vocal Album

Dua Lipa - FUTURE NOSTALGIA - WINNER - Levitating, Featuring DaBaby
Lady Gaga - CHROMATICA - Nomination

Taylor Swift - FOLKLORE - Nomination

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

"Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there will be no vibrant, green parades, group celebrations, or religious coming-togethers for a second year in a row in Ireland today.

The country is confined to the strictest level 5 lockdown with a 5-kilometer (3.1-mile) travel limit. And while we will still be adorned in shamrocks, and landmarks across the world will turn green and fly the Irish flag, we have a little more time on our hands than usual, and there is something that we need to get off our chests" ... It's not Happy St. Patty's Day, but St. Paddy's Day. Here's why

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Today is Boychild's birthday!  There were 5 boys born that day and the others were named Sean/Shawn or Patrick....he's Jason.  The nurse told me when she was filling out the birth certificate.  🙂 

He's coming down for the weekend (lives an hour away) and I'm making all his favorites.  We'll spend the weekend playing games, eating and maybe a movie.  Got a box with all the games we like and we draw at random.

Good times......

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Today is Boychild's birthday!  There were 5 boys born that day and the others were named Sean/Shawn or Patrick....he's Jason.  The nurse told me when she was filling out the birth certificate.  🙂 

He's coming down for the weekend (lives an hour away) and I'm making all his favorites.  We'll spend the weekend playing games, eating and maybe a movie.  Got a box with all the games we like and we draw at random.

Good times......

That's fantastic! I haven't seen my son in about a year. Once we all get vaccinated, I'm going to do all those things. I hope you have a blast!

• Love 8

Ladies of the Grammys -- Part 2

Best Dance Recording

Jayda G - 'Both Of Us'  -- Nomination

Best Rock Performance

Fiona Apple - Shameika -- Winner

NOT - Big Thief -- Nomination

Phoebe Bridgers - Kyoto -- Nomination

Haim - The Steps  -- Nomination

STAY HIGH - Brittany Howard  -- Nomination

DAYLIGHT Grace Potter  -- Nomination

Best Metal Performance

UNDERNEATH - Code Orange  -- Nomination

THE IN-BETWEEN - In This Moment -- Nomination

BLOODMONEY - Poppy -- Nomination

Best Rock Song

KYOTO - Phoebe Bridgers, - Nomination

NOT - Adrianne Lenker, songwriter (Big Thief) -- Nomination

SHAMEIKA - Fiona Apple, songwriter (Fiona Apple) -- Nomonation

STAY HIGH - Brittany Howard, songwriter (Brittany Howard) - WINNER

Best Rock Album

DAYLIGHT - Grace Potter -- Nomination

Best Alternative Music Album

FETCH THE BOLT CUTTERS - Fiona Apple -- Winner

PUNISHER - Phoebe Bridgers -- Nomination

JAIME - Brittany Howard -- Nomination -- Georgia - Brittany Howard

Best R&B Performance

LIGHTNING & THUNDER - Jhené Aiko, Featuring John Legend -- Nomination

BLACK PARADE - Beyoncé -- Winner

GOAT HEAD - Brittany Howard -- Nomination

SEE ME - Emily King -- Nomination

Best Traditional R&B Performance

SIT ON DOWN - The Baylor Project, Featuring Jean Baylor & Marcus Baylor -- Nomination

WONDER WHAT SHE THINKS OF ME - Chloe X Halle -- Nomination

ANYTHING FOR YOU - Ledisi -- WINNER

DISTANCE - Yebba -- Nomination

Best R&B Song

BLACK PARADE - Beyoncé -- Nomination

COLLIDE - Tiana Major9 & EARTHGANG -- Nomination

DO IT - Chloe X Halle -- Nomination

Best Progressive R&B Album

CHILOMBO - Jhené Aiko -- Nomination 

UNGODLY HOUR - Chloe X Halle -- Nomination

Best Rap Performance

SAVAGE - Megan Thee Stallion, Featuring Beyoncé - Winner

Best Rap Song

SAVAGE - Megan Thee Stallion Featuring Beyoncé - Winner

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Ladies of the Grammys -- Part 3

Best Country Solo Performance

WHO YOU THOUGHT I WAS - Brandy Clark  -- Nomination

BLACK LIKE ME - Mickey Guyton - Nomination

BLUEBIRD - Miranda Lambert -- Nomination 

Best Country Song

BLUEBIRD- Miranda Lambert -- Nomination

THE BONES - Maren Morris -- Nomination

CROWDED TABLE - The Highwomen -- Winner

MORE HEARTS THAN MINE - Ingrid Andress,  - Nomination

Best Country Album

LADY LIKE - Ingrid Andress -- Nomination

YOUR LIFE IS A RECORD - Brandy Clark -- Nomination -- Who You Thought I Was

WILDCARD - Miranda Lambert -- Winner

NEVER WILL - Ashley McBryde -- Nomination -- Never Will

Best New Age Album

SONGS FROM THE BARDO - Laurie Anderson, Tenzin Choegyal & Jesse Paris Smith  - Nomination --  Lotus Born, No Need to Fear

PERIPHERY - Priya Darshini -- Nomination  -- Home

Best Improvised Jazz Solo

PACHAMAMA - Regina Carter -- Nomination

Best Jazz Vocal Album

ONA by Thana Alexa -- Nomination -- ONA 

MODERN ANCESTORS - Carmen Lundy -- Nomination -- A Time For Peace

Best Gospel Album

KIERRA - Kierra Sheard -- Nomination -- Don't Judge Me

Best Latin Pop or Urban Album

MESA PARA DOS - Kany García -- Nomination -- Titanic

3:33 - Debi Nova -- Nomination -- 3:33

Best Latin Rock or Alternative Album

MONSTRUO - Cami -- Nomination -- MONSTRUO (Cosquín Rock 2020)

MISS COLOMBIA - Lido Pimienta -- Nomination --  Miss Colombia: The Road Home (Short Film)

Best Regional Mexican Music Album (Including Tejano)

LA SERENATA - Lupita Infante -- Nomination -- Serenata

UN CANTO POR MÉXICO, VOL. 1 - Natalia Lafourcade -- Winner -- Mi Religión

Best American Roots Performance

DEEP IN LOVE - Bonny Light Horseman -- Nomination

SHORT AND SWEET - Brittany Howard -- Nomination

I'LL BE GONE - Norah Jones & Mavis Staples -- Nomination

Best American Roots Song

CABIN - The Secret Sisters -- Nomination

CEILING TO THE FLOOR - Sierra Hull  -- Nomination

HOMETOWN - Sarah Jarosz -- Nomination

MAN WITHOUT A SOUL - Lucinda Williams -- Nomination

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Ladies of the Grammys -- Part 4

Best Americana Album

OLD FLOWERS - Courtney Marie Andrews -- Nomination

WORLD ON THE GROUND - Sarah Jarosz -- Winner -- Johnny

GOOD SOULS BETTER ANGELS - Lucinda Williams -- Nomination -- Good Souls

Best Contemporary Blues Album

LIVE AT THE PARAMOUNT - Ruthie Foster Big Band -- Nomination -- "Stone Love" Live at The Paramount

BLACKBIRDS - Bettye LaVette -- Nomination -- Save Your Love For Me

Best Folk Album

BONNY LIGHT HORSEMAN - Bonny Light Horseman -- Nomination -- The Roving

SONG FOR OUR DAUGHTER - Laura Marling -- Nomination -- Alexandra

SATURN RETURN - The Secret Sisters -- Nomination -- Tin Can Angel

ALL THE GOOD TIMES - Gillian Welch -- Winner -- All The Good Times Are Past And Gone

Best Regional Roots Music Album

A TRIBUTE TO AL BERARD - Sweet Cecilia -- Nomination -- Cecilia Waltz

Best Global Music Album

AGORA - Bebel Gilberto -- Nomination -- Tão Bom

LOVE LETTERS - Anoushka Shankar -- Nomination -- Those Words

Best Children's Music Album

ALL THE LADIES - Joanie Leeds -- Winner -- If Girls Ruled the World

Best Spoken Word Album 

BLOWOUT: CORRUPTED DEMOCRACY, ROGUE STATE RUSSIA, AND THE RICHEST, MOST DESTRUCTIVE INDUSTRY ON EARTH - Rachel Maddow -- Winner 

CHARLOTTE'S WEB (E.B. WHITE) - Meryl Streep (& Full cast) -- Nomination

Best Comedy Album

BLACK MITZVAH - Tiffany Haddish -- Winner -- When Tiffany Haddish Met Beyonce

Best Musical Theater Album

JAGGED LITTLE PILL - Alanis Morissette, composer & lyricist) Original Broadway Cast -- Winner -- All I Really Want

Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media

JOKER - Hildur Guðnadóttir, composer -- Winner -- Call Me Joker

Best Song Written For Visual Media

BEAUTIFUL GHOSTS [FROM CATS] - Andrew Lloyd Webber & Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift) -- Nomination

CARRIED ME WITH YOU [FROM ONWARD] - Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth & Tim Hanseroth, songwriters, (Brandi Carlile) -- Nomination 

INTO THE UNKNOWN  [FROM FROZEN 2] - Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez, songwriters (Idina Menzel & AURORA) -- Nomination

NO TIME TO DIE  [FROM NO TIME TO DIE] - Billie Eilish O'Connell & Finneas Baird O'Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish) -- Winner

STAND UP  [FROM HARRIET] - Joshuah Brian Campbell & Cynthia Erivo, songwriters (Cynthia Erivo) Nomination

Best Instrumental Composition

SPUTNIK - Maria Schneider, composer (Maria Schneider) -- Winner -- Hear a Clip

Best Arrangement, Instrumental or A Cappella

BATHROOM DANCE  - Hildur Guðnadóttir, arranger (Hildur Guðnadóttir) -- Nomination

Best Arrangement, Instruments and Vocals

DESERT SONG - Erin Bentlage, Sara Gazarek, Johnaye Kendrick & Amanda Taylor, arrangers (Säje) -- Nomination

SLOW BURN  - Talia Billig, Nic Hard & Becca Stevens, arrangers (Becca Stevens) -- Nomination

Best Recording Package

EVERYDAY LIFE - Pilar Zeta, art director (Coldplay) -- Nomination

HEALER - Julian Gross & Hannah Hooper, art directors (Grouplove) -- Nomination

Best Boxed Or Special Limited Edition Package

FLAMING PIE (COLLECTOR'S EDITION) - Linn Wie Andersen, Simon Earith, Paul McCartney & James Musgrave, art directors (Paul McCartney) -- Nomination

GIANTS STADIUM 1987, 1989, 1991 - Lisa Glines & Doran Tyson, art directors (Grateful Dead) -- Nomination

THE STORY OF GHOSTLY INTERNATIONAL - Michael Cina & Molly Smith, art directors (Various Artists) -- Nomination

Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical

25 TRIPS - Shani Gandhi & Gary Paczosa, engineers; Adam Grover, mastering engineer (Sierra Hull) -- Nomination --  Middle Of The Woods

Producer Of The Year, Classical

ELAINE MARTONE -- Nomination

Best Choral Performance

DANIELPOUR: THE PASSION OF YESHUAH - JoAnn Falletta, conductor; James K. Bass & Adam Luebke, chorus masters (James K. Bass, J'Nai Bridges, Timothy Fallon, Kenneth Overton, Hila Plitmann & Matthew Worth; Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra; Buffalo Philharmonic Chorus & UCLA Chamber Singers -- Winner -- The Passion of Yeshua: I. Prologue

Best Classical Solo Vocal Album

FARINELLI - Cecilia Bartoli; Giovanni Antonini, conductor (Il Giardino Armonico) -- Nomination - Porpora: La festa d'Imeneo - Vaghi amori, grazie amate

SMYTH: THE PRISON- Sarah Brailey & Dashon Burton; James Blachly, conductor (Experiential Chorus; Experiential Orchestra) -- Winner -- The Prison: No. 15, Death Calls Him. Gloring, He Obeys the Summons

Best Music Video

BROWN SKIN GIRL  - Beyoncé, Blue Ivy & WizKid - Winner

Best Music Film

BLACK IS KING - Beyoncé -- Nomination

LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE - Linda Ronstadt -- Winner

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Nawal el-Saadawii, Arab author and women's rights icon, dies in Cairo

Famed Egyptian author Nawal el-Saadawi, a champion of women's rights who revolutionised discussions on gender in the Arab world, died Sunday at the age of 89, Al-Ahram newspaper said. Saadawi died in a Cairo hospital after suffering a long illness, her family said.

A prolific author who shot to fame with widely translated novel "Women at Point Zero" (1975), Saadawi was a fierce advocate for women's empowerment in Egypt's deeply conservative and patriarchal society. She is founder and president of the Arab Women's Solidarity Association[3][4] and co-founder of the Arab Association for Human Rights. She has been awarded honorary degrees on three continents. In 2004, she won the North–South Prize from the Council of Europe. In 2005, she won the Inana International Prize in Belgium, and in 2012, the International Peace Bureau awarded her the 2012 Seán MacBride Peace Prize.  With more than 55 books to her name including the taboo-breaking work "Women and Sex", paying particular attention to the practice of female genital mutilation in her society. She was briefly jailed by late president Anwar Sadat and also condemned by Al-Azhar, the highest Sunni Muslim authority in Egypt.

Saadawi's outspoken brand of feminism -- including campaigning against women wearing the veil, inequality in Muslim inheritance rights between men and women, polygamy and female circumcision -- gained her as many critics as admirers in the Middle East. In 1993, after constant deaths threats from firebrand Islamist preachers, Saadawi moved to Duke University in the US state of North Carolina, where she was a writer-in-residence at the Asian and African languages department for three years. She returned to Egypt and in 2005 ran for president but abandoned her bid after accusing security forces of not allowing her to hold rallies. She fell out of favour with many secular progressives later in life for her wholehearted embrace of general-turned-president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi's military overthrow of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

Her path-breaking, critical books published in dozens of languages also took aim at Western feminists including her friend Gloria Steinem and policies espoused by heads of state such as former US president George W. Bush's invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Saadawi's death coincides with Mother's Day celebrations in Egypt and across the Arab world. She divorced three times and survived by two children.

I have a new recipe. I just tried it last night but it turned out pretty well. I make cream puffs and eclairs so I'm an old hand at pate choux but I wanted something savory. I've heard about crab puffs all my life so I assumed they were made like cream puffs but I couldn't find a single recipe that looked right so I winged it. I took some cooked crab that I had and squeezed all the liquid out with paper towels. To make the puffs I added the water and butter to the pan but I also added finely minced green onion. When the pastry was almost done, before the adding of the second egg, I chopped up the crab and added it with the egg. I placed the puffs on a parchment lined cookie sheet using and medium/small ice cram scoop, baked as usual. They came out great! They can be made in advance and frozen for your next soiree. 🥂

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Saw Laverne on CBS This Morning and the woman is fierce!  What style....and the hats are to die for.  Ya gotta check out Crowns sometime....a doc about church hats.

Must see for all you fashionistas....

Dr. Wimberly is fabulous! I've got a book, 'Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats', that is full of beautiful portraiture and historical insight. At a local church I saw a play that was an adaptation of the book; very enjoyable and the actors wore their own hats with matching outfits.

33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have a new recipe. I just tried it last night but it turned out pretty well. I make cream puffs and eclairs so I'm an old hand at pate choux but I wanted something savory. I've heard about crab puffs all my life so I assumed they were made like cream puffs but I couldn't find a single recipe that looked right so I winged it. I took some cooked crab that I had and squeezed all the liquid out with paper towels. To make the puffs I added the water and butter to the pan but I also added finely minced green onion. When the pastry was almost done, before the adding of the second egg, I chopped up the crab and added it with the egg. I placed the puffs on a parchment lined cookie sheet using and medium/small ice cram scoop, baked as usual. They came out great! They can be made in advance and frozen for your next soiree. 🥂

Sounds tasty and easy.

The crab puffs I've had are the baked and cooled pâte à choux cut in half, filled with a crab filling. The other appetizer is puff pastry dough filled with cab filling -- fold and paint with egg wash, then bake.

After months of earthquakes, a long-dormant volcano in the southwest of Iceland erupted on Friday night, leading to dramatic videos and splendid red skies near the country’s capital city.

According to the Icelandic Meteorological Office, the eruption near Mount Fagradalsfjall, about 20 miles southwest of Reykjavik,. Though considered small, the eruption created a fissure about 1,640 feet long, and spewed more than 10 million square feet of lava, sometimes in fountains reaching heights of more than 300 feet.

It was the first volcanic eruption in this part of Iceland — the Reykjanes Peninsula, home to Reykjavik, where most of the country’s residents live — in 781 years. And it was the first time this particular volcano had gone off in about 6,000 years.

Iceland’s location along a series of tectonic plates — known as the Mid-Atlantic Ridge — has made it uniquely susceptible to activity. The country straddles two tectonic plates, which are themselves divided by an undersea mountain chain that oozes molten hot rock, or magma. Quakes occur when the magma pushes through the plates. 

Iceland is no stranger to volcanic activity. There is usually an eruption every four or five years because the island is in a region that is particularly susceptible to seismic activity. The most recent one, in 2014, was at Holuhraun, a lava field in the Icelandic Highlands. Earthquakes are a familiar experience, too; since 2014, the country registered between 1,000 and 3,000 earthquakes per year. But since December 2019, that number has dramatically increased, according to the New York Times; scientists are still working to understand why.

In the last week alone, Iceland experienced more than 18,000 earthquakes, with more than 3,000 on Sunday. At least 400 had taken place in the area of the volcano the day before the eruption — and that was a relatively calm day, according to Icelandic state meteorologists. Many of those earthquakes were undetectable to ordinary people, but some were of magnitude 3 and greater, so that they could be felt. The largest was a 5.7-magnitude quake on the morning of February 24, followed by a magnitude 5 tremor 30 minutes later.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

The crab puffs I've had are the baked and cooled pâte à choux cut in half, filled with a crab filling. The other appetizer is puff pastry dough filled with cab filling -- fold and paint with egg wash, then bake.

Yep, that sounds like all the recipes I saw when I was looking. I was concerned the crab might be too wet but I really squeezed all the water out. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

It was the first volcanic eruption in this part of Iceland — the Reykjanes Peninsula, home to Reykjavik, where most of the country’s residents live — in 781 years. And it was the first time this particular volcano had gone off in about 6,000 years.

This was confusing me. I heard in one newscast the volcano hadn't erupted in 6000 years. Then in a diff newscast 800 years. And I was like, wow that's quite a difference.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

According to the Icelandic Meteorological Office, the eruption near Mount Fagradalsfjall, about 20 miles southwest of Reykjavik,. Though considered small, the eruption created a fissure about 1,640 feet long, and spewed more than 10 million square feet of lava, sometimes in fountains reaching heights of more than 300 feet.

It was the first volcanic eruption in this part of Iceland — the Reykjanes Peninsula, home to Reykjavik, where most of the country’s residents live — in 781 years. And it was the first time this particular volcano - Mount Fagradalsfjall - had gone off in about 6,000 years..

The Reykjanes Peninsula has many dormant volcanos, and hadn't had a volcanic eruption in 781 years. The recent earthquakes and volcano eruption near Mount Fagradalsfjall (featured in the video), is the first volcanic activity in that location in 6,000 years. The Reykjanes Peninsula experiences regular tectonic activity, as charted in the link.

My apologies.

• Love 4

Actor George Segal dies at 87

George Segal, the banjo player turned actor who was nominated for an Oscar for 1966′s “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” and worked into his late 80s on the ABC sitcom “The Goldbergs,” died Tuesday in Santa Rosa, California, his wife said. “The family is devastated to announce that this morning George Segal passed away due to complications from bypass surgery,” Sonia Segal said in a statement. He was 87.

George Segal was always best known as a comic actor, becoming one of the screen’s biggest stars in the 1970s when lighthearted adult comedies thrived. But his most famous role was in a harrowing drama, “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”, based on Edward Albee’s acclaimed play. He was the last surviving credited member of the tiny cast, all four of whom were nominated for Academy Awards: Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton for starring roles, Sandy Dennis and Segal for supporting performances. The women won Oscars, the men did not.

To younger audiences, he was better known for playing magazine publisher Jack Gallo on the long-running NBC series “Just Shoot Me” from 1997 to 2003, and as grandfather Albert “Pops” Solomon on the “The Goldbergs” since 2013.

“Today we lost a legend. It was a true honor being a small part of George Segal’s amazing legacy,” said “Goldbergs” creator Adam Goldberg, who based the show on his 1980s childhood. “By pure fate, I ended up casting the perfect person to play Pops. Just like my grandfather, George was a kid at heart with a magical spark.”

In his Hollywood prime, he played a stuffy intellectual opposite Barbra Streisand’s freewheeling prostitute in 1970′s “The Owl and the Pussycat;” a cheating husband opposite Glenda Jackson in 1973′s “A Touch of Class;” a hopeless gambler opposite Elliot Gould in director Robert Altman’s 1974 “California Split;” and a bank-robbing suburbanite opposite Jane Fonda in 1977′s “Fun with Dick and Jane.” Groomed to be a handsome leading man, Segal’s profile had been rising steadily since his first movie, 1961′s “The Young Doctors” in which he had ninth billing. His first starring performance came in “King Rat” as a nefarious inmate at a Japanese prison camp during World War II.

In “Virginia Woolf,” he played Nick, one half of a young couple invited over for drinks and to witness the bitterness and frustration of a middle-aged couple. Director Mike Nichols needed someone who would get the approval of star Elizabeth Taylor, and turned to Segal when Robert Redford turned him down. According to Nichols’ biographer Mark Harris, the director said Segal was “close enough to the young god he needed to be for Elizabeth, and witty enough and funny enough to deal with all that humiliation.” Segal died 10 years to the day after Taylor.

He rode the film to a long run of stardom. Then in the late 1970s, “Jaws” and other action films changed the nature of Hollywood movies, and the light comedies that Segal excelled in became passe. “Then I got a little older,” he said in a 1998 interview. “I started playing urban father roles. And that guy sort of turned into Chevy Chase, and after that there was really no place to go.” Except for the 1989 hit “Look Who’s Talking,” Segal’s films in the 1980s and 1990s were lackluster. He turned to television and starred in two failed series, “Take Five” and “Murphy’s Law.”

Then he found success in 1997 with the David Spade sitcom “Just Shoot Me” in which he played Gallo, who despite his gruff manner hires his daughter (Laura San Giacomo) and keeps Spade’s worthless office boy character on his payroll simply out of a sense of affection for both. Series co-star Brian Posehn was one of many paying Segal tribute Tuesday night. “I grew up watching him, total old school charm, effortless comedic timing,” Segal’s “Just Shoot Me” Posehn said. “Doing scenes with him was one of the highlights of my life, but getting to know him a little and making the legend laugh was even cooler.”

Throughout his long acting career, Segal played the banjo for fun, becoming quite accomplished on the instrument he had first picked up as a boy. He performed with his own Beverly Hills Unlisted Jazz Band.

Born in 1934 in Great Neck, New York, the third son of a malt and hops dealer, Segal began entertaining at the age of 8, performing magic tricks for neighborhood children.

He attended a Quaker boarding school in Pennsylvania and as an undergraduate at Columbia University organized “Bruno Linch and His Imperial Band,” for which he also played banjo. After graduating Segal worked non-salary at the New York theater Circle in the Square, doing everything from ticket taking to understudy acting. He studied drama with Lee Strasberg and Uta Hagen, and made his first professional acting appearance off-Broadway in Moliere’s “Don Juan.” It lasted one night. After a stint on Broadway in Eugene O’Neill’s “The Iceman Cometh,” he was drafted into the Army. Discharged in 1957, he returned to the stage and would begin getting small film roles.

In 1956 Segal married television story editor Marion Sobel and they had two daughters, Elizabeth and Polly, before divorcing in 1981. He married his second wife, Linda Rogoff, in London in 1982 and was devastated when she died of a stomach disease 14 years later. “It was a time when I said, `It’s not adding up; I don’t get it anymore,” he recalled to an interviewer in 1999. “With Linda dying, I lost interest in everything. I worked just to make a living. Acting, like life, became a joyless job.”

Eventually he reconnected with Sonia Schultz Greenbaum, who had been his girlfriend in high school some 45 years earlier. They talked on the telephone, sometimes as long as six hours, and were married just a few months after reuniting. “She helped me through the worst days of my life just listening to me unload,” Segal said in 1999. “It was magic.”

-- Andrew Dalton, Associated Press

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

I turn 70 years old tomorrow (yikes) and have heard it all.

Takes a lot to offend me.......music-wise.

🙂

There are delicate sensibilities amongst us.

Women crunching four letter words and snarling guitars about personal disenfranchisement, sexual freedom, and patriarchal corruption tend to set people off.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Would love to try these.  Could I use canned crab (I know...it's sacrilege)?  Have a small tin in the pantry and puff pastry on hand..

Sure! But you have to use cream puff paste:

Pre-heat oven to 425f

1/2 cup water

1/2 stick butter

1/2 cup flour

Two green onions

1/2 cup crab

In your smallest pan, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 stick butter and finely minced green onion. Medium heat, stir until the butter is melted. All at once add 1/2 cup flour. Stir until the flour is well incorporated. Take pan off the heat and let stand for 5 min. Add one egg and stir until the egg is well mixed in. Let stand another 5 min. Add crab and second egg. Stir well. Using a table spoon or small/medium ice cream scoop place the puffs on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes if small. For larger puffs, reduce heat to 375f and give them another 15 minutes. 

This should yield about 9 -12 puffs. I've been think about doing this with cheese as well.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Hells yeah!  Everything is better with cheese.....

Haha! I didn't mean crab with cheese because I've got an irrational dislike of mixing fish with dairy. I was thinking of just cheese. Probably a combination of provolone and gouda.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

I turn 70 years old tomorrow (yikes) and have heard it all.

Takes a lot to offend me.......music-wise.

🙂

Happy (pre) Birthday!  

• Love 5