Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, deirdra said:

We do get the occasional car ad in Canada, but drug ads (TV, radio & print) are prohibited. Now that you mention it, ambulance-chaser lawyer ads may be prohibited too because I only recall seeing them on US channels.

I wish it was like that here.

• Love 7
On 2/20/2021 at 11:58 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

Thanks for that advice @Capricasix. Since he is a Mama's boy that thinks he is my favorite (lol) he will probably answer my questions.  I had decided that I would probably try to find a "what you need to know" synopsis on "the internet" and see if that helped. Because I am not watching all those movies!

I had posted in small talk last night about pretty much this exact same topic without seeing these comments.  We are in the same boat, Lucinda - my son is into all those Marvel movies but I’m not.  I got hooked on Wanda, tho!  I loved it and I can get back story easily from wiki if needed (although I do know who Tony Stark is, so those parts didn’t go over my head like some of the other stuff).  It was some nice bonding time with the kiddo, too.  🥰

• Love 5
On 2/21/2021 at 12:58 AM, LucindaWalsh said:

Thanks for that advice @Capricasix. Since he is a Mama's boy that thinks he is my favorite (lol) he will probably answer my questions.  I had decided that I would probably try to find a "what you need to know" synopsis on "the internet" and see if that helped. Because I am not watching all those movies!

There are many nerdlings ion Utube happy to fill you in  with thumb nails of all the movies and many, many easter eggs

plus Chris Hemsworth takes off his shirt

a lot

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

Whoa @ Steve Burton!

Good for Sasha Calle! She really is good, they just need to do more with her character.

LucindaWalsh: WandaVision is still good even if you're a virgin to the backstory. If your SO can do a little of the backfill? Probably okay. That's how it worked with me and my hubby. Fair enough since I got him hooked on Y&R when he was recovering from surgery--back in the GC Buzz days!

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 5

_117340490_banksy2.jpg

Is Banksy behind this prison-escape mural on the wall of a notorious British jail?

An artwork depicting a prisoner's daring escape has appeared on the wall of a British jail, prompting excited speculation that it was painted by elusive street artist Banksy. The mural shows a prison inmate making an escape from Reading Prison, a disused institution in southern England that once held the Irish poet Oscar Wilde.

Its style matches the work of street art's most enigmatic star, but there has been no confirmation yet that it's Banksy painting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Cupid Stunt said:

_117340490_banksy2.jpg

Is Banksy behind this prison-escape mural on the wall of a notorious British jail?

An artwork depicting a prisoner's daring escape has appeared on the wall of a British jail, prompting excited speculation that it was painted by elusive street artist Banksy. The mural shows a prison inmate making an escape from Reading Prison, a disused institution in southern England that once held the Irish poet Oscar Wilde.

Its style matches the work of street art's most enigmatic star, but there has been no confirmation yet that it's Banksy painting.

There was an episode of Last Tango In Halifax where they thought the mural of a giraffe on their barn had been done by Banksy and they thought their finances were saved. Turns out it wasn't.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I hate that Hush hush baby commecail - the girl sings Howsh howsh Baby. cant stand it when people deliberately mispronounce words

Good news - got my first shot. So happy I came home and made my low cal egg-nog. I love egg nog but it is so fattening...and hard to find after Christmas. I came up with one cup liquid eggs (eggbeaters) -- 2 cups (or more to taste) 30 calorie vanilla almond milk -- one box Vanilla sugar free pudding mix

mix hard - thats it - i like nutmeg a lot so I add a tsp of that. LIke 80 calories and better than most - 

I may have added a drop of Horchata Rum

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Vernon Jordan, civil rights leader, dies aged 85

-- Jordan worked for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and campaigned for voting rights before becoming president of the National Urban League.

“Today, the world lost an influential figure in the fight for civil rights and American politics,” said Derrick Johnson, president of the NAACP, in a statement.

“An icon to the world and a lifelong friend to the NAACP, his contribution to moving our society toward justice is unparalleled. In 2001, Jordan received the NAACP’s Spingarn Medal for a lifetime of social justice activism. His exemplary life will shine as a guiding light for all that seek truth and justice for all people.”

• Love 1

Bunny Wailer, reggae icon and founding member of The Wailers has died. A cause of death has not been given, but the LA Times says that he did have a stroke “about a year ago.” Wailer was 73.

Blessed Father, please embrace your son.

• Love 1

So CBS All Access has switched to Paramount Plus as of today.  I’m still trying to figure it out, but it looks like we can watch the new SpongeBob movie (yay, not.  But yay for my pocketbook and for my kiddo who still loves that weird square sponge 😂🤷🏻‍♀️).  As for me, I’m going to sleep to The Love Boat.  One of my all time ride or die #1 top favorite ever.  Sorry not sorry.  ❤️🛳

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What were we thinking, dancing in those four inch platforms and stilettos?

And they weren't even my shoes.....or my size.....

• LOL 8
(edited)

This dorky dude wishes you Preverted Goddesses an early Happy International Women's Day!  I'm always cheering you on as you continue to shatter all those glass ceilings!

mimosa.jpg

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 11

https://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=1506

Woman power.....love this.  That line just popped into my head when I read snap's post and I had to google it.

I remember the oddest stuff from my childhood.  Dad used to say "You always got your nose stuck in a book".  True.  The bookmobile (remember those) used to come every Friday to the local shopping center and I couldn't wait.

Happy International Women's Day my fellow wimmins!

• Love 8

I used to open my flower shop every morning at 9:00 am. There was a deli across the lobby from my shop and there I'd be, unlocking my doors, wheeling out my card carousel and setting out buckets of flowers on the pedestals I had against the front of the shop and every morning Sunny Came Home would be playing on the deli's speakers. I love that song.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SweePea59 said:

Anyone notice the blackboard in that annoying cadbury eggs commercial? It says 2020 tryouts. Buy this candy - it will keep you thinking of the pandemic.

Or stale candy for Easter 2021.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Love Peeps....and they are better stale.  More texture......

😋

That reminds me of Kevin on the office lamenting that Andy was coming back after being gone for three months and he's been drinking Andy's milk the whole time. "No more chunky lemon milk..."

• LOL 5

Roger Mudd, longtime network TV newsman, dies at 93

Roger Mudd, the longtime political correspondent and anchor for NBC and CBS who once stumped Sen. Edward Kennedy by simply asking why he wanted to be president, has died. He was 93. CBS News says Mudd died Tuesday of complications of kidney failure at his home in McLean, Virginia.

During more than 30 years on network television, starting with CBS in 1961, Mudd covered Congress, elections and political conventions and was a frequent anchor and contributor to various specials. His career coincided with the flowering of television news, the pre-cable, pre-Internet days when the big three networks and their powerhouse ranks of reporters were the main source of news for millions of Americans. Besides work at CBS and NBC, he did stints on PBS’s “MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour” and the History Channel.

When he joined Robert MacNeil and Jim Lehrer’s show in 1987, Mudd told The Associated Press: “I think they regard news and information and fact and opinion with a reverence and respect that really is admirable.” He wrote a memoir, “The Place To Be,” which came out in early 2008, and described the challenges and clashing egos he encountered working in Washington, where among other things he covered Congress for CBS for 15 years.

In an April 2008 interview on the “NewsHour,” he said he “absolutely loved” keeping tabs on the nation’s 100 senators and 435 representatives, “all of them wanting to talk, great access, politics morning, noon and night, as opposed to the White House, where everything is zipped up and tightly held.”

Mudd received a George Foster Peabody Award for his November 1979 special “CBS Reports: Teddy,” which aired just days before Kennedy officially announced his attempt to challenge then-President Carter for the 1980 Democratic presidential nomination. In the report, Mudd asked the Massachusetts senator a simple question: “Why do you want to be president?” Kennedy was unable to give a focused answer or specify what he personally wanted to do.

“Well, I’m, uh, were I to make the announcement to run, the reasons that I would run is because I have a great belief in this country. ... We’re facing complex issues and problems in this nation at this time but we have faced similar challenges at other times. ... And I would basically feel that it’s imperative for this country to move forward, that it can’t stand still, for otherwise it moves backward.” It was enough to prompt New York Times columnist Tom Wicker to give Kennedy the “Safire Prize for Nattering Nabob of the Year.” Carter went on to win the nomination for a second term, only to fall to Ronald Reagan in the general election.

As Mudd told viewers: “On the stump Kennedy can be dominating, imposing and masterful, but off the stump, in personal interviews, he can become stilted, elliptical and at times appear as if he really doesn’t want America to get to know him.”

Mudd spent a fair amount of time in the “CBS Evening News” anchor chair, substituting for Walter Cronkite when he was off and anchoring the Saturday evening news broadcasts from 1966 to 1973. But he lost out to Dan Rather in the competition to succeed Cronkite as the news anchor at CBS when the latter retired in 1981. Cronkite, for one, had backed Rather because he didn’t think Mudd had enough foreign experience.

It was then that Mudd jumped to NBC as its chief Washington correspondent. In addition, he co-anchored NBC’s “Nightly News” with Tom Brokaw for a year before Brokaw went solo in 1983, and for a time co-hosted “Meet the Press,” the Sunday morning interview show. But when he left NBC, he said management viewed news as “a promotable commodity” rather than a public service. His departure had been rumored since he sharply criticized NBC News for canceling the newsmagazine show “1986,” which he co-anchored with Connie Chung.

In five years on “NewsHour,” Mudd served as a senior correspondent, essayist and occasional anchor. He hosted a number of reports on American history and education, including “Learning in America: Schools That Work” and “The Wizard: Thomas Alva Edison.” Mudd left the “NewsHour” in 1992 to teach journalism at Princeton University, describing the offer to teach at the Ivy League school as simply too appealing to turn down. He also was a host and correspondent for The History Channel from 1995 to 2004.

Among his other awards over the years, Mudd shared in a Peabody for the 1970 CBS documentary “The Selling of the Pentagon,” which looked at the military’s public relations efforts. Mudd was the narrator of the program, which the Peabody judges said was “electronic journalism at its best.”

Early in his career at CBS, Mudd was teamed with Robert Trout to anchor coverage of the 1964 Democratic convention after CBS — using Walter Cronkite as anchor — trailed NBC’s Chet Huntley and David Brinkley in the ratings at the Republican convention. The memorably named Mudd-Trout team did not conquer NBC’s duo, and Cronkite was back as anchor on election night that November. In 1990, he received the Joan Shorenstein Barone award for distinguished Washington reporting.

Before joining CBS News, Mudd worked at radio station WTOP in Washington. Before that, he was news director at WRNL Radio in Richmond, Virginia, a reporter for the Richmond News Leader and a research assistant with the House Committee on Tax-Exempt Foundation. He was also an English and history teacher and football coach at Darlington School in Rome, Georgia.

In 1977, Mudd received an honorary doctorate from Washington and Lee University, his alma mater. He donated his 1,500 volume collection of 20th-century Southern writers to the university in 2006. He earned a master’s degree in American History from the University of North Carolina in 1951.

Mudd, who was born in Washington, was a distant relative of Dr. Samuel Mudd, the doctor who was arrested for treating an injured John Wilkes Booth shortly after Booth assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. The doctor, who was eventually pardoned, said he hadn’t been aware of the killing when he aided Booth.

Mudd and his wife, the former E.J. Spears, had four children.

• LOL 1

My mom and dad got their second doses of the Pfizer vaccine on Thursday.  They are 85 and 90 years old respectively, and neither of them had any side effects at all!

Ugghhh...I don't mind Falling Back, but Springing Forward sssuuuuuucks...

• Love 8