Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Pardon the repeat post....I don't know what happened.

I've had problems lately where images I've posted on whole other sites show up for no fucking reason here. I don't know what's going on.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Sadly, I had the opposite.

We had our 2nd shots on March 26 and both had mild symptoms at first.  He's pretty good...still working but he's tired a lot.  About 2 wks later I got really sick.  Still feel like warmed-over shit.  Walking around the house, showering, dishwasher, etc. just wears me out.  I do a little bit then go rest for a while.  Get out of breath really easily, which didn't happen when I was diagnosed in Nov.  Went to the Dr. last Tues and he said I am a long-hauler.  I asked if the vaccine could have stirred things up and he said probably in my case (emphasis...this will not happen to most folks so get your damn shots, people!)  I'm an old fart and not in the best of health to begin with.

This stuff is like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction....."I will not be ignored."

That's awful.  I'm so sorry you've ended up with all this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, pearlite said:

Second vaccine this afternoon--newsy notes from the expired Target store turned into vaccination centre: something on offer called a "Modesty Room"! Where exactly are you getting this vaccination, may I ask? Plus a selection of mid- to late-80s music for the requisite 15 minute sitdown--I guess that, a few off-duty firefighters marshalling people,  and the display of local artwork [using the term loosely] are supposed to be distracting or something.

In this case PLL [who, I might add, managed to lose her Ontario health card just in time] as yet unvaccinated--chicken; came up with a regime, source unknown: a day before, take Tylenol or similar, drink some of those fizzy Vitamin C things, and drink some Gatorade or similar. Who knows? I tried, but I hate Gatorade. We'll see.

Then I had a soft ice cream from our venue of choice :https://tomsdairyfreeze.ca

I hadn't been in for years, so that was nice. Here's hoping tomorrow's okay.

Good for you pearlite. And Tom's ice cream menu is making me hungry.

The Stunt's all got vaccinated at the same time and each of us had different post-vaccination reactions.

The first jab was (Mr.Stunt) painful, with a slight fever, (Thing1) itchy and no fever, (Thing2)  fine, with no appetite, (Cupid) achy, with strange dreams.

The second jab (Mr.Stunt) injection site sore for a short time with no other reactions, (Thing1) sore arm and achy body for a few days, (Thing2) sore arm for a day and had a slight metallic taste to food, (Cupid) tender injection site and exhaustion in the middle of the day.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Good for you pearlite. And Tom's ice cream menu is making me hungry.

The Stunt's all got vaccinated at the same time and each of us had different post-vaccination reactions.

The first jab was (Mr.Stunt) painful, with a slight fever, (Thing1) itchy and no fever, (Thing2)  fine, with no appetite, (Cupid) achy, with strange dreams.

The second jab (Mr.Stunt) injection site sore for a short time with no other reactions, (Thing1) sore arm and achy body for a few days, (Thing2) sore arm for a day and had a slight metallic taste to food, (Cupid) tender injection site and exhaustion in the middle of the day.

That sounds like everyone I know. Except my DH, he is never affected by anything. He has never even had a cold in the forty years we've been married. 😤

• Love 5

I had a mild headache after both shots, but I'm not sure the vaccine caused the headaches. It could have been the super-annoying people who crossed my path those days.  My arm was sore after shot #2. 

Congratulations, pearlite!  You'll feel even better once you're officially fully vaxxed in two weeks.  Do we need to come there and have an intervention for PLL?

Happy Canada Day, neighbors!  🍁   I hope you enjoyed the holiday!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I had a mild headache after both shots, but I'm not sure the vaccine caused the headaches. It could have been the super-annoying people who crossed my path those days.  My arm was sore after shot #2. 

Congratulations, pearlite!  You'll feel even better once you're officially fully vaxxed in two weeks.  Do we need to come there and have an intervention for PLL?

Happy Canada Day, neighbors!  🍁   I hope you enjoyed the holiday!

Thanks, snap!

Sore arm and a bit wonky on second day--it's bearable; I'm stuck marking online and swearing a lot...

PLL is super-ornery--never met a technique she couldn't beat.

Canada Day not so good this year--news will tell you why, and not supposed to post about politics. That said, try this: https://www.narcity.com/video-of-a-beaver-stealing-a-canadian-flag-is-kind-of-iconic#toggle-gdpr

• Love 7

Canada Day not so good this year--news will tell you why, and not supposed to post about politics. That said, try this: https://www.narcity.com/video-of-a-beaver-stealing-a-canadian-flag-is-kind-of-iconic#toggle-gdpr

"Hmmm...what is this flappy thing? Why, it seems to be held up with wood. 'sniff sniff' yes, that's the finest Northern pine. Well, I think I'll pull it up mnfmf ahh, got it...."

• LOL 7

Remembering Richard Donner:

There’s no denying that Richard Donner, who died Monday at 91, was one of the most influential architects of the blockbuster era. He directed “Superman,” the 1978 man-of-steel epic that invented the comic-book movie as we know it. He directed all four films in the “Lethal Weapon” series, which may be the quintessential incarnation of the joshingly abrasive, throwaway buddy-cop movie. He directed “The Omen,” the 1976 Satan-is-alive-and-he’s-a-scowling-schoolboy horror film that ruled the box office and spooked a generation of moviegoers’ imaginations.

Yet unlike those other formative directors of the blockbuster era, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg (or, for that matter, William Friedkin, whose 1973 landmark “The Exorcist” was arguably just about as influential on the culture as “Jaws” and “Star Wars”), Donner was a crowd-pleasing showman who never pretended to be a deep cinematic artist. At his best, he worked with a straight-down-the-middle craft and vitality, and with a human touch that made his movies play like escapist fairy tales.

A telling thing about him is that he didn’t just start off in television, the way directors like Sidney Lumet, Sam Peckinpah, or Robert Altman did. For the first 16 years of his career, Donner was submerged in television, directing episodes of “Wanted: Dead or Alive,” “Route 66,” “The Detectives,” “The Rifleman,” “Have Gun — Will Travel,” “Combat!,” “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.,” “Gilligan’s Island,” “Perry Mason,” “12 O’Clock High,” “Get Smart,” “The F.B.I.,” “The Fugitive,” “It’s About Time,” “Jericho,” “The Wild Wild West,” “Sarge,” “Banyon,” “Ironside,” “The Bold Ones,” “Cannon,” “The Streets of San Francisco,” and “Kojak.” He also directed six episodes of “The Twilight Zone,” notably “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,” the famous scary one with William Shatner as an airliner passenger who keeps spotting a gremlin on the wing of the plane (it was remade by George Miller in the Spielberg-produced 1983 big-screen “Twilight Zone”). Donner made three trifling feature films along the way (“X-15,” “Lola,” “Salt and Pepper”), but by the time he landed the plum assignment of directing “The Omen,” at the age of 45, he was more than a TV veteran. Series television was in his blood.

I think that’s important to consider, because unlike so many filmmakers of that period who crossed over from one medium to the next, Donner stuck to the essential elements of his TV roots. He kept his films friendly and digestible. He thought in neatly delineated episodes even when he was making an oversize superhero saga. And his most successful movies lent themselves to sequelization with an uncanny facility because Donner had a sixth sense, bred from his work on the small screen, for creating characters who were broadly outlined enough that they could just keep going.

The relationship between TV and movies is an ever-evolving story, dotted with ironic surprises — like the fact that the actor who played Vinnie Barbarino turned out to be a natural-born movie star; or that Michael Mann was the first showrunner who thought like a New Hollywood filmmaker; or that David Chase wanted so badly to be a filmmaker that he figured out a way to make television better than movies. But in the ’70s, when Donner graduated from television, it’s no insult to the TV medium to say that most of it had a certain overly well-lit, edges-sanded-down quality. Donner initially planned to make “The Omen” a more ambiguous film than it was (he wanted it to be unclear whether Damien was the Antichrist, and whether the deaths that happened around him were simply freak accidents). But the movie he wound up directing, which planted him on the map of Hollywood power players, had a reassuringly tidy and reductive chill factor. It could have been called “Devil Boy’s Greatest Murder Hits.”

That’s because “The Omen” was already, in effect, an extension/adaptation of something else. It was greenlit because of “The Exorcist,” but at heart it was “Rosemary’s Baby Grows Up” — and, in fact, when the film’s June 1976 release was followed, four months later, by the ABC TV-movie “Look What’s Happened to Rosemary’s Baby,” the two mediums truly seemed to be flowing into each other. Donner was all set to direct the “Omen” sequel, but instead he got hired to make “Superman,” and in March 1977 he began shooting that film and its sequel simultaneously. Between Marlon Brando’s hijinks and demands and the war that erupted between Donner and the producers over scheduling and budget, it was one of the most tormented productions since “Cleopatra” — which is why “Superman II” wound up being completed by Richard Lester. (Donner shot about 75 percent of it.)

Yet 43 years later, “Superman” remains a beloved movie. The reason is that even though it’s a rather ungainly origin story, with a top-heavy structure, too many amber waves of grain, and a trio of villains who (to me) are cartoonish enough to be cringe-worthy, there’s something great in the middle of it: the nimble magic of Christopher Reeve’s performance — his awkward, glasses-nudging, hunk-as-shrinking-violet comical nerd presence as Clark Kent, and his stylized dashing American majesty as Superman. It’s still the chewiest human center that a comic-book movie has ever had. And that’s because Donner approached the scenes between Reeve and Margot Kidder as if they were good television: relaxed and relatable, tweaking the very idea of super-ness. He used the small-screen spirit to make a large story life-size.

“The Goonies” was also, in effect, a glorified small-screen riff, even though it was a 1985 hit movie. Based on a story by Spielberg, it was “Raiders of the Lost Ark” with kids, and it remains a beloved touchstone of Gen-X nostalgia. But it was Donner’s next film that would prove to be possibly his most defining. Released in 1987, “Lethal Weapon” seemed, on the surface, like a rehash of many other buddy movies, all of which it stuffed into a compactor: “Freebie and the Bean,” “Thunderbolt and Lightfoot,” “48 HRS.” Yet Donner, by winnowing the form down to unabashed formula, made it seem at once scuzzier and purer. There was zero pretense to the prickly chemistry between Mel Gibson’s manic, just-how-nuts-am-I? Riggs and Danny Glover’s straitlaced Murtaugh. It was pure razzmatazz. It stripped the buddy movie to its scruffy chassis, implicitly saying to moviegoers, “From now on, this will be enough for you.” And it was. There were three subsequent “Lethal Weapon” films, but more than that the series kicked open the door to a new dimension of the blockbuster era: that it could now be built around scampish reruns on steroids.

Donner’s other big-ticket films were often comedies: “Scrooged,” the Bill Murray riff on “A Christmas Carol”; “The Toy,” a Richard Pryor dud that retrofitted a French movie for U.S. audiences; and “Maverick,” a gloss on the late-’50s television Western, and a movie so shticky and hammy it seemed more like TV than the TV show. But maybe one reason Donner wasn’t a great director of front-and-center comedy is that his movies, at their best, are naturally funny; they have a ticklish lift to them. Watching “Superman,” you believe a man can fly (that’s the visual effects), but you also believe he’s having the time of his life doing it. That’s the Donner effect.

-- Owen Gleiberman

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Hey...how was everyone's 4th?

Ours was very quiet, just M. Latour and I hanging out, listening to music and watching movies. Until around 10:30 then BOOM BOOM BOOM! This went on until three or four in the AM. Oh well, I can sleep when I'm dead. How was yours?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

It was quiet, too.  Boychild came down for the weekend Fri nite, I made a huge pot of chili and a salad for dinners (it's everyman for himself), made a big brunch around noon Sat & Sun , he brought dessert and we played games and watched movies.  Weather wasn't bad so we did get in a walk.  Good weekend.

Hubby usually works on Sat but he got the day off and they were closed on Sun so it worked out great.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

It was quiet, too.  Boychild came down for the weekend Fri nite, I made a huge pot of chili and a salad for dinners (it's everyman for himself), made a big brunch around noon Sat & Sun , he brought dessert and we played games and watched movies.  Weather wasn't bad so we did get in a walk.  Good weekend.

Hubby usually works on Sat but he got the day off and they were closed on Sun so it worked out great.

My DH too but he got Monday off instead so yesterday he tackled the yard, did a ton of weeding, pruning, watering and general fluffing and he made an appointment with our renter, who is a professional landscaper, to bring in and spread a ton of top soil. Our house is on top of a hill and we have a real problem with top soil loss. 

I'm so glad you got to see your boyo, ours called and we had a great chat. Funny, I made chili yesterday. The avocados are so nice right now.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Hey...how was everyone's 4th?

Great. Spent a a long weekend with the family. My father put on his 4th of July barbecue; lots of food, cold beer, cousins and explosive contraband from Nevada.

W00T!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

beaver-building-Robert-McGouey-570x375.a

California habitat restoration used beavers to restore Placer  -- Beavers are unusual among animals in their ability to radically alter their habitat. They build dams to turn small streams and flood plains into ponds that they use to store food and hide from predators.

It turns out that this is useful for other species who like to radically alter their habitats, like humans. Let’s say you’ve got a dried out flood plain in California you want to restore in order to mitigate the effects of a drought, or even to help stop wildfires. Why not hire some beavers?

Humans have been drafting off of beavers literally as long as there have been humans and beavers, especially in North America. Humans come along, find these beautiful ponds and water sources that are perfect for commerce and agriculture, then proceed to trap and kill off the beavers that made it, either directly for their pelts or because the beavers become a nuisance for crops. (Harold Innis, who later became famous for his theories of media and communication, wrote a terrific book about this called The Fur Trade In Canada back in 1930.)

The idea that beavers might be a low-cost, low-impact way to mitigate the destruction of the environment by climate change (and other forms of human meddling) is an attractive one. But we have to be careful not to introduce beavers (or any other species) anyplace where they are unlikely to thrive, or where they’re just going to come into conflict with humans or other species, starting a cycle of destruction all over again.

Father John Misty - Bored In The USA

The Clash - I'm so Bored with the U.S.A.

Kosher - Bored in America

Corpse Carter - I'm So Bored I̸n̶ ̵A̸m̴e̷r̴i̸c̴a̵

Sex Pistols - Holidays In The Sun

MorMor - Whatever Comes to Mind

PRINCESS NOKIA - YOUR EYES ARE BLEEDING

Benjamin Lazar Davis - Choosing Sides

Bobby Sessions - Cog In The Machine

Garbage feat. Brody Dalle - Girl Talk

The Distillers - The Hunger Live @ Reading

Buckaroo Banzai end titles

Settle Your Scores - 1999

BREAKOUT - Nothing In Sight

Anti-Flag - Unbreakable

raindrop_as56349902-1152x630.jpeg

Website allows users to track the mesmerizing journey of a raindrop

• Love 6

Robert Downey Sr., Filmmaker Known for His Countercultural Satires, Dead at 85

Robert Downey Sr., the counterculture filmmaker best known for his satire Putney Swope, died Wednesday, July 7th. He was 85.

Downey Sr.’s son, the actor Robert Downey Jr., confirmed his death with a post on Instagram, saying, “Last night, dad passed peacefully in his sleep after years of enduring the ravages of Parkinson’s… he was a true maverick filmmaker, and remained remarkably optimistic throughout… According to my stepmom’s calculations, they were happily married for just over 2,000 years.”

Downey Sr. rose to prominence in the Sixties when he began making 16mm underground films that garnered a cult audience. Not just a director, Downey Sr. worked as a writer, producer, cinematographer, and editor, and acted in films like Magnolia, Boogie Nights, and To Live and Die in L.A.

Downey Sr. was born Robert John Elias, Jr. on June 24th, 1936, later taking the surname of his stepfather, James Downey, when he enlisted in the Army. Prior to his film career, he played minor league baseball and was even a Golden Gloves boxing champion. He wrote a few off-off-Broadway plays as well, and in 1953, he scored his first film credit as the cinematographer on the documentary short, The American Road.

The first film Downey Sr. helmed was the 1961 short, Ball’s Bluff, about a Civil War soldier who suddenly finds himself in present-day New York City. His early works, like Babo 73 and Chafed Elbows, were made on minuscule budgets and steeped in absurdist humor.

“It was just fun,” Downey Sr. said of his early filmmaking days in a 2016 interview with the Village Voice. “We had no money. My wife would get a check from doing a commercial, and I’d grab it before she even saw it. Later, I’d pay it back. Nobody ever made a dime on these things. We didn’t have sync sound, just a spring wind. So you could only get 18 seconds, and that was the end of the take, whatever it was. And we put the words in later.”

Downey Sr.’s breakthrough came in 1969 with Putney Swope, a satire of the advertising world centered around a black man who’s suddenly put in charge of a company after its founder dies. The film was added to the Library of Congress’ National Film Registry in 2016.

Downey Sr. remained busy throughout the Seventies, kicking the decade off with 1970’s Pound, about animals in a pound, with all the animals played by human actors; it was based on an old play Downey Sr. wrote and it notably marked the first acting role for his son, Robert Downey Jr., who played a puppy. Downey Sr. also earned high praise for 1972’s Greaser’s Palace, about a Christ-like figure roaming around the old West. And as Variety notes, his 1973 television adaptation of the Tony-winning play Sticks and Bones was so fervently anti-war, the advertisers pulled their support and CBS ended up broadcasting it without commercials.

Into the Eighties and Nineties, Downey Sr.,’s filmmaking pace slowed, although he stayed busy with scattered acting roles. He would direct his son in 1997’s Hugo Pool, while the final film he made was 2005’s Rittenhouse Square, a documentary about the titular park in Philadelphia.

-- Jon Blistein

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love what Eternal Boy did with that check! How very sweet.

I met them at their Stuck Here Forever industry release party. A lot of fun; excellent sets. Very sincere and genuinely nice guys.

• Love 3

1000.jpeg

Seen from Truckee, Calif., about 50 miles away, a smoke plume rises from the Sugar Fire, part of the Beckwourth Complex Fire, burning in Plumas National Forest on Friday, July 9, 2021. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

California wildfire advances as heat wave blankets US West

Why won't anyone ask why?

Ruthcrest - I Don't Belong Here

Those Without - Good Thyme

Big Smile - Fuck Off (But Take Me With You)

Action/Adventure - Poser

Dear Youth - Fix Yourself

KONGOS - Come with Me Now

Nine Inch Nails: March Of The Pigs (1994)

This is a filmstrip version of Margaret Wise Brown’s Goodnight Moon produced in 1984. Not sure what a filmstrip is? From the 1940s until the low-cost videocassette boom of the 1980s, audio filmstrips were commonly used in classrooms as an alternative to 16mm film projectors that were more expensive and fiddly to keep working.

There’s more on filmstrips from the Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences. While the show was a welcome diversion from parsing, long division and dictation, what we didn’t realise was the filmstrips were an educational revolution in Australia akin to smart boards today. They were stored in neat little canisters which could be easily dispatched to schools. Accompanying them was a script read by the teacher describing the 25 or so images depicted in the films, which were manually advanced in the projector.

Until watching this Goodnight Moon video, I had totally forgotten about the beep used in filmstrip audio used to signal someone to switch to the next frame.

Waxflower - Food For Your Garden

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll

Sneaker Pimps - Spin Spin Sugar

Misplaced - ffs

Garbage - Why Do You Love Me

bc4c5c8719f4f7dda2855749c30c5d97.jpg

How to make the perfect cup of British tea

• Love 7

Esther Bejarano, a survivor of the Auschwitz death camp who used the power of music to fight antisemitism and racism in post-war Germany, has died at 96.

Bejarano died peacefully in the early Saturday at the Jewish Hospital in Hamburg, the German news agency dpa quoted Helga Obens, a board member of the Auschwitz Committee in Germany, as saying. A cause of death was not given.

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas paid tribute to Bejarano, calling her “an important voice in the fight against racism and antisemitism.”

Born in 1924 as the daughter of Jewish cantor Rudolf Loewy in French-occupied Saarlouis, the family later moved to Saarbruecken, where Bejarano enjoyed a musical and sheltered upbringing until the Nazis came to power and the city was returned to Germany in 1935.

Her parents and sister Ruth eventually were deported and killed, while Bejarano had to perform forced labor before being sent to Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1943. There, she volunteered to become a member of the girls’ orchestra, playing the accordion every time trains full of Jews from across Europe arrived.

Bejarano would say later that music helped keep her alive in the notorious German Nazi death camp in occupied Poland and during the years after the Holocaust.

“We played with tears in our eyes,” she recalled in a 2010 interview with The Associated Press. “The new arrivals came in waving and applauding us, but we knew they would be taken directly to the gas chambers.”

Because her grandmother had been a Christian, Bejarano was later transferred to the Ravensbrueck concentration camp and survived a death march at the end of the war.

In a memoir, Bejarano recalled her rescue by U.S. troops who gave her an accordion, which she played the day American soldiers and concentration camp survivors danced around a burning portrait of Adolf Hitler to celebrate the Allied victory over the Nazis.

Bejarano emigrated to Israel after the war and married Nissim Bejarano. The couple had two children, Edna and Joram, before returning to Germany in 1960. After once again encountering open antisemitism, Bejarano decided to become politically active, co-founding the Auschwitz Committee in 1986 to give survivors a platform for their stories.

She teamed up with her children to play Yiddish melodies and Jewish resistance songs in a Hamburg-based band they named Coincidence, and also with hip-hop group Microphone Mafia to spread an anti-racism message to German youth.

“We all love music and share a common goal: We’re fighting against racism and discrimination,” she told the AP of her collaborations across cultures and generations.

Bejarano received numerous awards, including Germany’s Order of Merit, for her activism against what she called the “old and new Nazis,” quoting fellow Holocaust survivor Primo Levi’s warning that “it happened, therefore it can happen again.”

While addressing young people in Germany and beyond, Bejarano would say, “You are not guilty of what happened back then. But you become guilty if you refuse to listen to what happened.”

She also didn’t shy away from criticizing present-day German officials, such as when tax authorities canceled the charitable status of the country’s biggest anti-fascist organization. The decision was later reversed.

In a letter of condolence to her children, German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier wrote that Bejarano had “experienced first-hand what it means to be discriminated against, persecuted and tortured,” and lauded her educational work.

“We have suffered a great loss in her death,” he added. “She will always have a place in our hearts. ”

• Love 7

That filmstrip made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  I'd totally forgotten about filmstrips, and now I'm making a list of other long-gone things from my childhood, like pay phones and penny candy and car windows that you have to roll down...

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

That filmstrip made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  I'd totally forgotten about filmstrips, and now I'm making a list of other long-gone things from my childhood, like pay phones and penny candy and car windows that you have to roll down...

...drive in movies. I remember my dad coming home from work on Friday nights and he'd come in and ask "what are we going to see tonight?" My mom would pop a bunch of popcorn and we'd bring it in a paper bag. I was allowed to run down to the concession stand for Fudgesicles (pronounced "fudge-ickle) and I'd always fall asleep by the second feature.

• Love 6

We still have one, and it's just a few miles from my home!  The Dependable Drive-In only showed porn (no joke) when I was growing up, but now it has four screens and is family friendly.   

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

We still have one, and it's just a few miles from my home!  The Dependable Drive-In only showed porn (no joke) when I was growing up, but now it has four screens and is family friendly.   

Nice!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/11/2021 at 2:11 PM, peacheslatour said:

...drive in movies. I remember my dad coming home from work on Friday nights and he'd come in and ask "what are we going to see tonight?" My mom would pop a bunch of popcorn and we'd bring it in a paper bag. I was allowed to run down to the concession stand for Fudgesicles (pronounced "fudge-ickle) and I'd always fall asleep by the second feature.

It was a rare treat for us but a memorable one.  With so many relatives, babysitters were usually easy to come by but once, for some reason, the folks piled three of us - the oldest one was too old to have to come and the youngest was yet to arrive - in the backseat, in our pajamas and off we went to the drive-in.  Mom must really have wanted to see the movie.  I remember it was "A Summer Place", and my brothers fell asleep long before it ended.  The second feature was "The Young Philadelphians", with Paul Newman.  I managed to stay awake long enough for the first scene and then, finally, the folks had the rest of that time to themselves.

Later, as teenagers, when we went to the drive-in, the movie was the last thing on our minds.

Edited by boes
  • Love 7
On 6/26/2021 at 7:37 AM, OhioSongbird said:

I have a huge love for VP from my high school days.  Our local drive-ins (we had 2 about 3-4 miles apart) used to run dusk till dawn movies on Sat nites.  Roger Corman directing Edgar Allen Poe stories.  My Dad had a huge station wagon and I would pick up all the friends and go to the all-nighters for $1.00 a carload!

Those were the days....good times.

Ah...yes.  I miss them, too.  When I was 3-4 (only kid at the time...I'm the oldest) we went to the drive-in.  One time it must have been the 4th.  I had never seen fireworks before and I remember being terrified. Mom said I thought the stars were exploding.

As to that 'back-seat thing'.....I have no idea what you are talking about.

🙄

• LOL 5
16 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Hell, yeah! 

Throw in a mattress, blanket and cooler....you're golden.

When we were first married my husband, owing to being in a band, had a van. We would back it up to the speaker, kick the back doors open and set up lawn chairs with a cooler between us. It was so much fun. Believe it or not, they had the best pizza there. We have been trying to replicate it for lo, these may years.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4