Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Man.....today was clean the fridge day.  Inventoried the freezer (I'm a make extra and freeze the rest for later kinda gal), took all the veggie trimmings from the fridge I've been saving and made a huge pot of veggie broth.  I must have close to 2 qts.  Will divvy up and freeze for soup, etc. 

Now just have to find room in my damn freezer.   🙃

Stay safe y'all and remember........

Six feet apart....not 6 feet under!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Man.....today was clean the fridge day.  Inventoried the freezer (I'm a make extra and freeze the rest for later kinda gal), took all the veggie trimmings from the fridge I've been saving and made a huge pot of veggie broth.  I must have close to 2 qts.  Will divvy up and freeze for soup, etc. 

Now just have to find room in my damn freezer.   🙃

Stay safe y'all and remember........

Six feet apart....not 6 feet under!

Oh, small freezers are the worst.  My local grocery will have a sale on whole chickens at like 69 cents a pound and I can only fit one, two in my freezer, tops.

I'm making gazpacho tomorrow. I'd love some home made veggie broth to use in it.

• Love 4

Zappa died in my hands earlier this evening and it was my fault and I can't stop crying. 

She's been doing really badly the past couple of months. She was old and after her allergic reaction, she ended up having infected eyes and a bum leg she would drag behind her. My cousin just kept saying she was old but didn't want to do anything about it medically speaking. 

Yesterday she looked terrible. She's had problems with her eyes the past month, they were watery and almost completely shut. And yesterday I saw that the fur that had started to come in, was falling out again. She had a white crust on her skin and some parts looked blackish. She was also having problems using her back legs and would drag herself by her front paws. 

I went to my vet today to pick up food for Steve and asked the girl working there was there was something I could do, but she said Zappa would need a consult, and then it was a matter of pain meds, or euthanasia. 

I went to change her cage today and give her fresh water. She was just huddled by her water bottle not moving and half asleep. I scooped her up and held her in my palm for about 20 minutes and she barely moved. I kept trying to get a look at her back but couldn't. It looked like there was a crack almost, and it looked painful but I couldn't be sure. And this is where I fucked up. I got a q-tip and gently tried to part her fur. Honestly, I barely touched her, just grazed the tip of her fur but she freaked out. Started running through my hair and slipped into the sink. I grabbed her and she ran across my arm and fell and I couldn't catch her in time and she fell on the floor and peed herself. And I scooped her up and held her and she just stopped breathing and god I feel so bad. I never should have touched her. Why did I try and see what was happening with her fur? I should have left her alone and I can't stop crying about it. If I hadn't tried to see what was wrong, she would still be alive. 

My cousin came over and insisted it wasn't my fault, that she was old, but it's killing me. We buried her in the flower garden on my grandpa's yard. 

(edited)

brooklyn-street-art-silence-equals-death

Brooklyn, NY -- SILENCE = DEATH. (PHOTO © JAIME ROJO) It was true then and it's true now. Speak up! Resist!

Florida now has more Covid-19 cases than any other state. Here’s what went wrong. -- Florida’s governor took a victory lap on the coronavirus. Now his state has the most cases in the US. -- Related: Coronavirus leaves Florida a state of confusion

Peter Tsai invented the N95 mask filter. Then the coronavirus pandemic hit and he was called to help once again

Utah public hearing on schools dismissed after angry parents pack room without masks -- Some parents objected to school kids wearing masks.

LIVE UPDATES The latest on the coronavirus pandemic -- July 17, 2020

Russia is hacking virus vaccine trials, US, UK, Canada say

A nightmare scenario for farmers is happening right now

India hits 1 million virus cases, nations battle flare-ups

Syria’s Idlib was already a humanitarian nightmare. Now the coronavirus has arrived. -- The outbreak threatens to exacerbate the ever-present humanitarian disaster in northwest Syria.

The pandemic has been great for Netflix -- The streaming service added another 10 million customers in the second quarter of the year.

Arizona ban on evictions set to end as heat, infections soar

Tokyo Olympic venues lined up, schedule remains the same -- Related: IOC president Thomas Bach warns against Olympic boycotts, seeks re-election

5965.jpg?width=460&quality=85&auto=forma

What comes after Zoom fatigue -- It looks like we’re stuck with video chat. Is that such a bad thing?

Lawmakers are very upset about this week’s massive Twitter breach -- A hacker took over countless accounts from celebrities and politicians this week. That’s a bad sign. 

Everything you need to know about Palantir, the secretive company coming for all your data -- How Palantir and Peter Thiel might lead the biggest tech IPO of the year.

The entire world’s carbon emissions will finally be trackable in real time -- The new Climate TRACE Coalition is assembling the data and running the AI.

Climate change makes freak Siberian heat 600 times likelier

1000.jpeg

In this June 10, 2020, file photo, driver Bubba Wallace waits for the start of a NASCAR Cup Series auto race in Martinsville, Va. Some Black NASCAR fans have felt uncomfortable at the track. They're worried about hearing racial slurs or feeling unwelcome from a predominantly white fan base. The catalyst for change has come. Bubba Wallace prodded NASCAR to ban the Confederate flag last month. There is hope the ban opens the doors to more fans. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File)

‘Yes we exist’ - Black fans eye NASCAR’s work to diversify

Protests for Black lives are still happening -- Though media reports of the protests have dwindled, organized demonstrations for racial justice are still underway. -- Related: Chaotic protests prompt soul-searching in Portland, Oregon

Rev. C.T. Vivian, key civil rights leader, has died at 95

Voters to get say in dropping ‘plantations’ from R.I.’s name

It’s Time to Stop Calling it ‘The Great Migration’ -- For people of color watching over their shoulder this Independence Day, the fear of police interference harkens back to a historical moment with a much-too-benign label.

Asheville city council approves reparations plan as Providence explores idea -- The city will make investments in areas where Black residents face disparities.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Where Is the Outrage Over Anti-Semitism in Sports and Hollywood

Bill would add taxpayers to list for juries in California

Person in custody in killing of tech CEO found dismembered

brooklyn-street-art-captain-eyeliner-jai

CAPTIAN EYELINER (PHOTO © JAIME ROJO)

Washington NFL Team Faces Sexual Harassment Claims from 15 Women, Hire Law Firm -- Related: NFL releases statement addressing allegations vs. Washington team: 'Contrary to the NFL’s values'

ASU, NCAA sued over death of linebacker found to have CTE

23 Attorney General's sue DeVos over student loan forgiveness policy

This site lets you peer out of other people's windows, and the views are stunning

1000.jpeg

A kangaroo captured by Fort Lauderdale Police peers out from a stall at the Mounted Police headquarters in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Thursday, July 16, 2020. (Joe Cavaretta/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP)

Police capture kangaroo hopping through Fort Lauderdale

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

I'm so sorry about Zappa, jewel.  I do agree with everyone that you shouldn't blame yourself.  What you describe sounds like she may have been near the end even before you picked her up.  But you never gave up on her, even when others had.  Take some comfort in knowing that you made Zappa happy and comfortable in the final months of her life.  💖🌹🌈

• Love 7
(edited)

BB16TiAN.img?h=518&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

As chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, Chairman, John Lewis speaks at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom on Aug. 28, 1963 -- © Bettmann/Bettmann Archive 

Rep. John Lewis, civil rights icon

At the 1963 March on Washington, civil rights leaders asked John Lewis to tone his speech down

John Lewis reflects on the March on Selma, 50 years later -- Rep. John Lewis, D-Georgia, was a young civil rights activist when demonstrators were brutalized by police in Selma, Alabama in 1965.

BB16SScF.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Mr. Lewis in 2017. “Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year,” he said, “it is the struggle of a lifetime.” -- © Al Drago/The New York Times

John Lewis, Towering Figure of Civil Rights Era, Dies at 80

How 'John Lewis: Good Trouble' serves as a warning

The US loses two icons of the civil rights movement in one day 

Civil rights icon Reverend C.T. Vivian dies at 95

C.T. Vivian, Civil Rights Leader And Champion Of Nonviolent Action, Dies At 95

This I believe – faith without works is dead.  We are called to work for good in the world, to partner with God to bend the arc, not to earn grace but in response to grace.

Defense secretary effectively bans Confederate flags from military bases while rejecting ‘divisive symbols’

Despite recent anti-Semitic comments, Jews and Black people have long been allies

The one word that Tree of Life's rabbi refuses to say

Not out of the woods -- Nick Cannon's planned daytime talk show is pushed back amid anti-Semitism controversy

In Smithsonian Race Guidelines, Rational Thinking and Hard Work Are White Values

Coronavirus oversight commission remains leaderless as top contender bows out -- Retired Gen. Joseph Dunford has withdrawn his name from consideration.

Task force report says 18 states in coronavirus 'red zone' should roll back reopening

How Dr. Deborah Birx's political skills made her the most powerful person on the coronavirus task force

Millions of kids told full return to school in fall unlikely -- Related: Iowa governor overrides schools, requires in-person classes

85 infants under age 1 tested positive for coronavirus in one Texas county

I can't shake Covid-19: Warnings from young survivors still suffering

It’s not only coronavirus cases that are rising. Now covid deaths are, too. -- Related: Health experts urge Americans to wear masks and take other precautions as coronavirus cases continue to climb

photo-1572444070903-d3cb90c457b8?ixlib=r

Shoreditch, London, UK/Zabou

Los Angeles Man Stole Over $8.5 Million in Coronavirus Relief Money, Feds Say

'Alarming outbreak' of Covid-19 spreads through DHS training facility

Rouhani says 35 million Iranians face virus infection

street-art-by-Damon-Belanger-he-paint-fu

Redwood City, California/Damon Belanger (photo by artist)

18 police officers injured in Chicago protest

1000.jpeg

Police stand as protesters gather during a demonstration, Thursday, July 16, 2020 in Portland, Ore. Federal officers deployed tear gas and fired less-lethal rounds into a crowd of protesters late Thursday. The actions came just hours after the head of the Department of Homeland Security called the protesters “violent anarchists.” (Beth Nakamura/The Oregonian via AP)

US attorney requests DHS investigation after video shows masked, camouflaged federal authorities arresting protesters in Portland -- Related: Get your troops out of the city

Head of NYPD union gives Fox News interview with QAnon mug in background

No, NASA didn't create a 13th zodiac sign

BB16TN6D.img?h=512&w=768&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Protesters carried banners reading "Freedom for Furgal!" -- © Aleksandr Yanyshev 

Tens of thousands stage anti-Kremlin protests in Russia's Far East

'Black Forest Rambo' arrested after five-day manhunt in Germany

Australia announces $186 billion in defense spending amid rising tensions in the Indo-Pacific

Opinion: How Justin Trudeau's latest ethics scandal could spell the end of his career

10201382-4a17e33b54fbe1dc4a705486e373860

Ruth Bader Ginsburg announces cancer recurrence, will remain on the Supreme Court -- Related: Justice Ginsburg says cancer has returned, but won’t retire

How the massive Twitter hack may have happened -- Related: Australia says it has been targeted by a 'sophisticated' state-based cyber attack

Why Older People Really Eschew Technology

Drone footage shows former copper mine turning river orange -- Water from a former copper mine runs into a river in the Russian Ural mountains.

Residents of a Kenyan village awarded $12 million in a lawsuit over lead poisoning

Time running out to prevent oil spill from 'ticking time bomb' tanker in Yemen, UN warns

The Protector of Mexico’s Hidden Hives of Stingless Bees -- Construction worker Efrain Cab comes from a long line of beekeepers.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4

Did something change on this site?  Whenever I click into a forum, it takes me to the top of the page I was previously on, instead of taking me to the newest post in the thread.  What am I doing wrong?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

"Don't give up. Don't give in. Keep the faith." -- John Lewis

grafitti.jpg

Rain/Williamsburg, VA/artists Icy and Sot

John Lewis harnessed his history to become a moral compass for Republicans and Democrats

Religious faith was a lifelong constant for Rep. John Lewis

John Lewis and the beginning of an era -- The civil rights icon was told to cut a too-radical line from a famous speech. It says a lot about who he is.

1000.jpeg

In this March 7, 1965, file photo, a state trooper swings a billy club at John Lewis, right foreground, chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, to break up a civil rights voting march in Selma, Ala. Lewis sustained a fractured skull. Lewis, who carried the struggle against racial discrimination from Southern battlegrounds of the 1960s to the halls of Congress, died Friday, July 17, 2020. (AP Photo/File)

John Lewis’ legacy shaped in 1965 on ‘Bloody Sunday’

What happens to John Lewis' vacant US House seat in Georgia

Breonna Taylor was alive after police shot her. But no one tried to treat her.

Country Music Can No Longer Hide Its Problems -- A genre famously resistant to change and controversy has been jolted by the pandemic and protests.

The Authoritarian Operation in Portland Is Only a Dress Rehearsal -- Portland, Oregon is being softly Pinochet’ed in broad daylight. -- Related: Oregon officials decry federal agents after protest clashes

After Reparations Study Suggests $151 Million for Each African American, Experts Say Money Alone Isn't Enough

One quest for justice helps fuel Black rights fight in France

Bari Weiss, Andrew Sullivan and the Harper's letter: the case for open debate

add-fuel-paint-red-save-lives-street-art

PAINT (RED) SAVE LIVES (photo Snapchat Lens)/artist ADD FUEL 

Tracking the novel coronavirus in the U.S. -- At least 3,727,928 cases of the highly contagious novel coronavirus have been reported in the United States and its territories, according to a Reuters tally of state and local government sources. The U.S. diagnosed its first COVID-19 case in Washington state on Jan. 20. At least 139,995 have died of the illness across the United States, with the largest numbers so far in New York state. COVID-19 CASES AS OF JULY 19, 2020, 9:20 A.M. (ET)

An Indian drug mogul says Americans will pay too much for the Covid vaccine—and wants to change that -- Adar Poonawalla is seizing on the Covid-19 fight to try to break down the policies protecting Big Pharma.

Breathtaking virus numbers show normal life still far away

New studies clarify what drugs help, hurt for COVID-19 -- Related: Why do we have different blood types and do they make us more vulnerable to Covid-19?

Why School Reopening is Absurd and Dangerous -- Related: How does COVID-19 affect kids? Science has answers and gaps

There are two ways for a country to go in a crisis like this one. Everybody can pull in the same direction or it can sink. -- Related: Georgia governor sues to end cities’ defiance on mask rules

Pandemic becomes politically fraught for Florida governor

New California rules mean most schools will start online -- Related: Texas lets schools stick to online learning well into fall

1000.jpeg

A street artist spray paints a protective face mask over an old mural featuring a Venezuelan Indigenous man, in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, July 18, 2020, amid the new coronavirus pandemic. (AP Photo/Matias Delacroix)

The Food-Processing Industry Is the Typhoid Mary of This Pandemic -- Related: New Yorker article

Rewarding Failure -- On eve of bankruptcy, U.S. firms shower execs with bonuses -- Related: Oil And Gas Coronavirus Bankruptcies Work Like This -- Pay out bonuses to executives and leave behind wells that leak methane. You're welcome.

No end in sight, Congress confronts new virus crisis rescue

Days grow long at nursing homes as virus lockdowns drag on

Forsooth: COVID-19 brings Shakespeare to Vermont backyards

WBTnOVC7qqta06gXHeKsQ28CGxLEsXiYSVPu83yx

Reuters Photography by Kim Kyung-Hoon

"It'll take all of our body and soul" -- geisha struggle to survive in the shadow of coronavirus

Israel to shut down on weekends in response to virus surge

Asia Yesterday: China battles new outbreak in far west Xinjiang

1000.jpeg

People hold posters reading "Freedom for Khabarovsk region's governor Sergei Furgal, I'm, we are Sergei Furgal, Call Furgal home" during an unsanctioned protest in support of Sergei Furgal, the governor of the Khabarovsk region, in Khabarovsk, 6100 kilometers (3800 miles) east of Moscow, Russia, Saturday, July 18, 2020. Tens of thousands of people in the Russian Far East city of Khabarovsk took to the streets on Saturday, protesting the arrest of the region's governor on charges of involvement in multiple murders. Local media estimated the rally in the city attracted from 15,000 to 50,000 people. (AP Photo/Igor Volkov)

Mass protests rock Russian Far East city, challenge Kremlin

The hidden hand that uses money to reform troubled police departments -- Across the nation, insurers have had surprising success “policing the police," ending risky behavior, ousting chiefs, even closing troubled departments.

We're living in a perfect storm for extremist recruitment. Here's what we can do to stop it

Arise Sir Tom Moore: Queen Elizabeth knights 100-year-old fundraising captain

Fire at French cathedral in Nantes destroys famed organ

1000.jpeg

This 2019 photo provided by researcher Fernanda G. Duque shows a male Hillstar hummingbird singing a high frequency song perched on a Chuquiraga jussieui flower in Ecuador. A study released on Friday, July 17, 2020 finds that the species of hummingbirds can sing and hear frequencies beyond the range of other birds. The unusually high-pitched songs may help the birds woo above background noises in their windy, mountain environment. (Fernanda G. Duque/Georgia State University via AP)

Ecuadorian hummingbirds chirp ultrasonic songs of seduction

Chipmunks, fattened up on acorns, are driving people nuts

Derek Ho, Hawaii’s first world surfing champion, dies at 55

This edit from Mason Ho, filmed on the North Shore of Oahu, contains all the great elements that make his other quick hits so entertaining to watch: stylish tube-riding, uniquely drawn lines, a few airs punted onto dry sand and, of course, hazardously close encounters with rocks protruding from the ocean floor. But “Pohaku Division" includes guest appearances from fellow Hawaiian ripper Sheldon Paishon and the legendary 1993 World Champ Derek Ho. Unlike his boulder-dodging nephew, Derek keeps a safe distance from the ocean floor and is seen ripping the bag out of a few waves at V-land.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Did something change on this site?  Whenever I click into a forum, it takes me to the top of the page I was previously on, instead of taking me to the newest post in the thread.  What am I doing wrong?  

I’ve noticed that too. Most annoying!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Thanks!  Glad it’s not just me (aka operator error).  Lots of scrolling to get here. 😉😔

It doesn't happen to me every time, but I've experienced that recently, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

MIL Stunt is improving; temperature nearly normal, riding her stationary bike twice a day (almost a mile total), regular walks around the yard, and antsy to get out of quarantine. She still has continued joint aches, with occasional headaches. She's off all blood thinners and is using analgesics for pain; her blood is tested for viral load and viscosity 3x a week. Her appetite is better and is making meal and snack requests. 

Work in a Red Zone is exhausting. Nine more employees have tested positive and under quarantine, along with their families/significant others. Health Department updates are a nightmare. 

Thing2 moved back to Alkytraz (what I call the campus house) last week. He's very busy with the 3D printers; there's a desperate need for masks and equipment. Since he received FDA approval, they can't keep up with demand.  

The garden is full to brimming with vegetables. I canned my first batch of pickles, and donated tomatoes, zucchinis, avocados and cucumbers to the students that receive free school lunches. I took over Thing2's Wednesday delivery. The students are taking informal online classes with their teachers to help with matriculation to their next grade level. At the rate of The Corona infection in California most schools won't open this fall.

<sigh>

• Love 8
(edited)

984799-01-02-1593050888.jpg

Wall outside the hospital São João in Porto Alegre, Brazil/Vhils (photo by artist)

Tracking the novel coronavirus in the U.S. -- At least 3,789,711 cases of the highly contagious novel coronavirus have been reported in the United States and its territories, according to a Reuters tally of state and local government sources. The U.S. diagnosed its first COVID-19 case in Washington state on Jan. 20. At least 140,398 have died of the illness across the United States, with the largest numbers so far in New York state. COVID-19 CASES AS OF JULY 19, 2020, 10:00 P.M. (ET)

The crisis that shocked the world: America’s response to the coronavirus

When the U.S. sneezes, the world catches a cold. What happens when it has severe COVID-19?

I Was a Military COVID Planner. Trust Me: Texas Is in Deep, Deep Trouble -- Things are pretty bad right now in the Lone Star State. But the real pain is likely to come during hurricane season, when as many as 19 named storms are projected to h

There are no ICU beds available at 49 Florida hospitals

'We're fighting our own state': Southern mayors push back on state coronavirus response -- “The idea that every mayor, every governor, every local official, should figure out their own pandemic response and what to do and not to do is crazy,” one expert said. -- Related: Georgia mask feud exposes America's fault lines

How an Alabama factory is helping to prepare America for a COVID-19 vaccine -- Related: Brazil's coronavirus chaos provides a global laboratory for the vaccine race

Why Tribes Should Have the Power to Enforce Strict Coronavirus Policies -- Nonmembers who flout tribal stay-at-home orders could pose an existential threat to tribal communities. -- Related: Longtime Indigenous leader Raoni hospitalized in Brazil

What the Coronavirus Proved About Homelessness -- Britain’s efforts to house thousands of people amid the pandemic prove that even the most intractable problems are solvable—with enough political will. -- Related: Who Will Run the Soup Kitchens? -- Is it better to put volunteers and the needy at risk by keeping important services open, or to stay home, knowing people will go hungry as a result?

Rethinking the post-pandemic workplace

Top health officials have changed their minds about face mask guidance but for good reason

Players plead with NFL to address health, safety concerns

The New Must-Have Museum Souvenir: Face Masks -- As cultural institutions across Europe reopen, many are selling face coverings featuring their artworks or logos as a way of making some much-needed income.

Black-cloud2-367x550.jpg

Black Cloud installation, part of "Carlos Amorales: The Factory" exhibition at Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam (photo Peter Tujhius)

Stedelijk Museum store offers limited edition face masks by Carlos Amorales

How Native American Team Names Distort Your Psychology -- What’s at stake with team names like the Redskins? For Native teens, it means lower self-esteem. For whites, it’s the opposite. Looking at the research into mascots with Stephanie Fryberg.

Its $11M makeover complete, the Mayflower II is sailing home

406818c17eec969bf7c327a03f96a63f.png

NYC/artist Daflemingo (photo NYTimes)

Thousands to walk off job to protest racial inequality

David Shor’s Unified Theory of American Politics

Here are seven things you probably didn't know were connected to slavery -- Related: 'My Nigerian great-grandfather sold slaves'

John Lewis Was an American Founder -- Without activists like Lewis and Reverend C. T. Vivian, America would remain a white republic, not a nation for all its citizens.

Why Washington, DC, isn’t a state -- The US is closer than ever to getting a 51st state. Could it actually happen?

No-Knock Warrants Are a Beloved Tool of Our Failed 'War' on Drugs -- In South Carolina, one judge is taking them on. -- Related: Police contracts can stand in the way of accountability

Coming to a city near you -- Federal officials dismiss Portland leaders’ calls to leave city as clashes with protesters continue

In Britain, a Black Lives Matter Statue Sparks an Important Debate Around Representation

Corporate ads said Black Lives Matter. But the industry creating them is nearly all white.-- The stunning lack of diversity in the advertising industry goes back decades and those in power have done little to change it. It's time for action. -- Not so stunning.

Emoji reveal more about you than you think -- These tiny cartoon characters can be powerful tools for advertisers.

Why Israel hasn’t annexed the West Bank -- This week’s Worldly episode explores why Israel backed down and what that means for the two-state solution.

Mysterious explosions keep happening in Iran. Israel is likely behind it. -- Experts say the suspected sabotage is part of Israel’s long-term efforts to delay any and all of Iran’s nuclear development. -- Related: Could War With Iran Be an October Surprise?

Hamilton wins 8th Hungarian GP to equal Schumacher F1 record -- Related: Can anyone stop Hamilton? Only Bottas, say Ferrari drivers

Busch disqualified after NASCAR Xfinity win, Cindric 3rd win in row

a3b51bdc120a4d8c8b783a99bc3e1485.png

No One Has to Get Their Period Anymore -- Menstruating is painful, expensive, and … unnecessary? -- Ban the Pink Tax!

A proposed anti-trans rule would let homeless shelters judge who’s a woman -- The Housing and Urban Development proposal instructs shelters to try to spot trans women by height, facial hair, and Adam’s apples.

Floods kill scores in India's tea-growing Assam; nine rhinos drown

Malaysia finds 1,800 tons of illegal toxic waste dumped at port

Have TikTok Witches Actually ‘Hexed the Moon’? -- Soon to be hexing the Sun. -- More TikTok: Contraband cellphones have given us prison TicTok -- Cellphone videos filmed inside prisons are giving TikTok users a glimpse into incarceration in the US.

One woman, four men and weeks in Norway's Arctic ice

The Song of the Summer Is in Chaos -- America’s biggest hits right now aren’t particularly sunny, but what does popularity even mean during a pandemic? -- This will all disappear, right?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, boes said:

Good news on your mother in law, that's been a long and hard haul for you all.

keep the faith, I know you will persevere.

It's hard.....

(((boes)))

Thank you.

I stopped by to see MIL before work, and she gave me tennis rackets to be restrung. Her plan is to walk to the tennis court and volley a few balls. She wants to be ready.

<chuckles> She's a caution.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

(((boes)))

Thank you.

I stopped by to see MIL before work, and she gave me tennis rackets to be restrung. Her plan is to walk to the tennis court and volley a few balls. She wants to be ready.

<chuckles> She's a caution.

Awwwhhhh.  I hope she doesn’t wear herself out!  I also pray her wishes come true!   

• Love 6

Oh jewel, I'm so sorry for your loss. It does not sound like you caused her passing. It sounds like you kept her alive much longer than she would have lived without you. Try to remember all the good times because no one, animals included, wants to be remembered any other way.

• Love 6
(edited)

hypatia-h_26735e00963edcdfec8cbd681789d7

Dozens of women form 'wall of moms' to shield protesters from federal officers in Portland (Alex Milan Tracy/Credit: Sipa USA via AP)

White House Document Shows 18 States in Coronavirus "Red Zone" -- Unpublicized recommendations say states should return to stringent control measures

Why Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp stands alone on masks

Why North Korea says it's joining the coronavirus vaccine race, even though it has no cases

Brain fog, fatigue, breathlessness. Rehab centers set up across Europe to treat long-term effects of coronavirus

alphabet-evolution.2.png?v=1533064248

Evolution of the Alphabet

Can essential child care during Covid-19 offer a model to schools this fall? -- Related: Covid-19 has parents frantically searching for school alternatives, even if they can't afford them

What Is Distance Learning For?

How the coronavirus spread through one immigration facility

Where did $380B in PPP money go? -- The Paycheck Protection Program has doled out billions in forgivable pandemic relief loans to businesses. Use this database to see where the money went.

How NASA Launched a Revolution in Biology -- The space agency was conceived as an answer to Sputnik, but it quickly became much more.

E.U. Adopts Groundbreaking Stimulus to Fight Coronavirus Recession

‘A very dark feeling’: Hundreds camp out in Oklahoma unemployment lines

A Lot of Americans Are About to Lose Their Homes -- The current housing crisis could get messy quickly, but fixing it shouldn’t be complicated, if Congress intervenes.

We are sleepwalking toward economic catastrophe -- “The cliff is totally visible in front of us”: The future is grim if Congress doesn’t act on the economy.

Ben-Eine-street-art-typograohy-billboard

London/Ben Eine

3 pieces of pop culture that explain John Lewis’s legacy -- A pop culture primer on a lifetime of activism. -- Related: 6 John Lewis speeches key to understanding his work and legacy

John Lewis’s graphic memoir trilogy, March, tells the story of a lifetime of results and actions

Rep. John Lewis’s voting rights legacy is in danger -- Lewis was unable to see the Voting Rights Act restored before his death.

Florida's Voting Law Is a Poll Tax in Sheep's Clothing -- One that the Supreme Court has allowed to stand.

The history and future of Confederate monuments -- As debate over the takedown of Confederate monuments continues, 60 Minutes examines why and when the statues went up in the first place

Is the Anti-Racism Training Industry Just Peddling White Supremacy?

St. Louis couple who waved guns at protesters face charges

Suspect in fatal shooting at home of Judge Esther Salas described himself as an 'anti-feminist' lawyer, once argued a case before the judge

920x920.jpg

Federal law enforcement agents disperse crowds in Portland, Ore., July 18, 2020. Protesters have been in the streets for more than 50 consecutive days and federal agents deployed to Portland have hardened their resolve to stay there. (Mason Trinca/The New York Times)

Coming to a city near you -- Federal Arrests: 'Law and order' is starting to look like martial law -- Related: The unmarked federal agents arresting people in Portland, explained -- “At this point, we’re already in a constitutional crisis,” an Oregon attorney told Vox.

Women in Portland form "Wall of Moms" to protect protesters from federal officers

Federal officials dismiss Portland leaders’ calls to leave city as clashes with protesters continue -- Related: Thousands of Portland Protesters Surround Police Bureau After Crackdown

A Teenager Didn’t Do Her Online Schoolwork. So a Judge Sent Her to Juvenile Detention. --  A 15-year-old in Michigan was incarcerated during the coronavirus pandemic after a judge ruled that not completing her schoolwork violated her probation. “It just doesn’t make any sense,” said the girl’s mother.

Insight021220-1586649897.jpg

(artwork/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

America’s Innovation Engine Is Slowing -- Universities are in trouble and the influx of brainpower from overseas is shrinking. The long-term consequences could be disastrous.

Spain's monarchy shaken by Juan Carlos's hidden Swiss fortune

A taste of India at a Wyoming truck stop

'Violence and abuse are too often a part of the child athlete's experience' in Japan -- report

The long pursuit of justice for victims of MH17, the passenger jet shot down over Ukraine -- In 2014, 298 people on a passenger jet were killed when an anti-aircraft missile targeted them as they passed over Ukraine. Scott Pelley reports on the details of the flight and the investigation that's followed. -- Related: Iran plane crash: Tor-M1 missiles fired at Ukraine jet -- Related: Iran to send black boxes from downed Ukrainian airliner to France

San Diego beach areas use secret weapon to limit parking with illegally painted red curbs

Denise-Mueller-Korenek-7_tcm25-541734.jp

Matt Ben Stone/Action Plus Sports Images/Alamy Stock Photo

184 MPH on a Bicycle: How Denise Mueller-Korenek Set the World Record

Bye, Felicia -- ABC News Executive Barbara Fedida Will Leave After Investigation -- Related: Lawsuit Against Fox News Alleges Harassment From Anchors, Sexual Assault From Ed Henry

Gap shares fall after Kanye West threatens to walk away from Yeezy deal -- At the same news conference: Kanye West Breaks Down, Makes Dubious Claim About Harriet Tubman at South Carolina Rally

Tracy Reese On How The Fashion Industry Can Become Truly Anti-Racist -- "We have walked down this road of sameness for so long, and it’s boring.”

Planned Parenthood's Alexis McGill Johnson Is Sometimes Weary, Never Wary

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
(edited)

?m=02&d=20200721&t=2&i=1526590055&w=780&

Federal law enforcement officers face off with protesters in Portland, July 21. REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs

Reuters PICTURES - TUE JUL 21, 2020 -- Federal law enforcement officers confront Portland protesters

How about a little martial law, Scarecrow? -- Facing unrest on American streets, Homeland Security powers are turned inward ... 'an agency formed to prevent another Sept. 11, 2001, attack — to spearhead the federal response.' -- Related: Federal agents, local streets: A ‘red flag’ in Oregon

How these unfortunate things get started:

Chaotic Scenes in Portland as Backlash to Federal Deployment Grows -- Related: Facing federal agents, Portland protests find new momentum

Neither side is backing down as federal agents and protesters clash in Portland

1000.jpeg

Hundreds of Black Lives Matter protesters hold their phones aloft on Monday, July 20, 2020, in Portland, Ore. Federal officers’ actions at protests in Oregon’s largest city, hailed by President Donald Trump but done without local consent, are raising the prospect of a constitutional crisis — one that could escalate as weeks of demonstrations find renewed focus in clashes with camouflaged, unidentified agents outside Portland’s U.S. courthouse. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

'I wanted to take action': behind the 'Wall of Moms' protecting Portland's protesters -- The use of federal agents against the will of local officials has also set up the potential for a constitutional crisis, which could escalate if Trump sends federal agents elsewhere.

43 federal arrests in Portland since July 4, federal officials say -- Not an impressive showing for the road show of Homeland Security Theatre. How many are they holding without charges? -- Related: How feds used a YouTube livestream to arrest a Portland protester -- Trump-deployed federal officers are using whatever they can to find evidence against activists.

Militarized Agents Seen in Portland Are Deploying to Chicago and Perhaps Further -- Related: Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice officials are making plans to deploy units to protect federal facilities

US attorney: Feds will be identifiable in Kansas City action -- That will help.

Minnesota lawmakers pass police accountability package -- Related: Minnesota judge lifts gag order in George Floyd case

Poor diets threaten US national security, and it's serious

The Overlooked Role of Guns in the Police-Reform Debate -- Something is weirdly absent from the general discussion about police violence in America: the weapon most commonly used to inflict it.

Senate votes to limit some military equipment transfers to police departments

Bryan Stevenson on how America can heal -- A conversation about truth and reconciliation in the US.

I am Native American and a former football player. Our history is much darker than racist mascots. -- An NFL team changing its name does nothing to address the role of Indigenous people in the game’s legacy. 

brooklyn-street-art-alex-senna-jaime-roj

Brooklyn, NY/Alex Senna (PHOTO © JAIME ROJO)

Covid-19 Risk Chart

Three simple acts can stop Covid-19 outbreaks, study finds

People are using honest obituaries to blame governors for coronavirus deaths and invite them to their loved ones' funerals -- Related: She marched on Washington, got her law degree at 62 and beat cancer twice. Then coronavirus took her

5 key takeaways from Tuesday's big coronavirus vaccine hearing -- The hearing was an opportunity for officials to polish their image as altruistic innovators amid a global pandemic.

Lawmakers perplexed by billions in unspent Covid-19 testing money

CDC: Antibody tests show virus rates 10x higher -- Related: Virus antibodies fade fast but not necessarily protection

New Treatment for Covid-19 Shows Promise, but Scientists Urge Caution -- Related: Oxford coronavirus vaccine trial results "extremely encouraging," U.K. government says

Silent spread of virus keeps scientists grasping for clues

Aid from top donors drops even as need soars

Transgender official takes abuse while leading virus efforts

“The jobs aren’t there”: Why cutting off enhanced unemployment benefits would leave workers in the lurch -- Related: Poll: Pandemic hurting Americans’ finances in disparate ways

How Remote Work Divides America -- With government benefits set to expire at the end of July, new studies show that workers who were struggling financially before the pandemic face returning to jobs that require close personal contact.

Strip-club stimulus reveals lingering uncertainties over U.S. small-business aid

Chicago restaurateur joins mission to feed America’s hungry

While most retailers struggle, Aldi plans to open 70 new US stores

Ohio House speaker, 4 others arrested in $60M bribery case

Preliminary magnitude 7.8 earthquake strikes off coast of Alaska

Soak or drip? Watering advice for the hot season

Oh no! We won't glow! -- Nuclear power has been top-down and hierarchical. These women want to change that. -- A new women-led, progressive energy group will devote itself to nuclear policy.

Teens need easy access to condoms and long-acting reversible contraception, say pediatricians

Scientists are one step closer to delaying aging

This week in TikTok: When “fashionable” really means “skinny” -- Don't forget the influence TV, movies, magazines, YouTube, Instagram, millions of personal fashion/beauty/health/exercise blogs have on fashionable = skinny.

Happy Birthday, Helen! -- You can help a Georgia woman celebrate turning 105. All it takes is a birthday card

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
(edited)

?m=02&d=20200723&t=2&i=1526793984&w=780&

A federal law enforcement officer pushes a mother back during a demonstration against the presence of federal law enforcement officers and racial inequality in Portland, July 21. REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs

Reuters PICTURES - WED JUL 22, 2020 -- 'Wall of Moms' face down federal officers in Portland

Nothing Can Justify the Attack on Portland -- The question of whether these arrests are appropriate has a clear answer, at least in a nation that purports to live under the rule of law. 

Portland mayor is tear-gassed in another night of unrest in U.S. city

Portland protests: federal agents' actions draws city into a national debate -- Civil rights leaders in Oregon say the Trump administration’s involvement have upped the stakes on what was a localized conflict

Federal Officers Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab People In Portland, DHS Confirms 

Federal agents, Portland protesters in standoff as chaos envelops parts of city -- "What really crossed the line for me was when the feds started picking people off the street," a Portland woman said. "I don't want it in my city, and I want them gone."

dhs_agents.jpg?itok=R5Hmx-tZ

Federal officers walk through tear gas while dispersing a crowd of about a thousand people during a protest on July 21, 2020 in Portland, Oregon. (Photo: Nathan Howard/Getty Images)

America Gets an Interior Ministry ... a national police force, used to quell protests.

Acting Department of Homeland Security Theater secretary: I don't need 'invitation' from Portland to deploy officers -- States Rights are inconvenient. -- Related: Homeland Security Theater chief says feds are ‘not the Gestapo’ amid outrage over Portland response -- Not the Gestapo. Check.

The Department of Homeland Security Theater's Border Patrol Is the Last Thing We Need in American Cities Right Now -- You've seen them in action on the US/Mexican border. You want that in your downtown?

9/11 comes to roost -- Defund Homeland Security Theater: Creating a massive federal police apparatus was always a mistake -- We built and funded a federal secret-police agency, and now it's being used against us. Why are we surprised?

A 'very dark history': Oregon's racist past fuels ongoing protests against injustice in Portland

How we talk about racism in America is wrong -- Why Republicans took so long to call out Steve King’s racism -- After more than 15 years of espousing racist views in Congress, the representative from Iowa is finally seeing consequences. -- I find her point about how racism has become an insult to be wielded or avoided (depending on your perspective) rather than a useful descriptive term of behavior or views really interesting. She quotes historian Ibram X. Kendi (who was a frequent guest on the excellent Seeing White podcast series) about this unhelpful shift.

UMYBKVQ67NCDHKEH77BGT2VQLM.JPG

Behold: White People

I’m a Jew of color. I won’t be quiet about anti-Semitism. -- Nick Cannon’s comments and Diddy’s public support for him brought a familiar pang of betrayal, disappointment and anger

1*beU3r-UcM07Fx_k2GB3xjw.jpeg

Ericka Huggins in the Black Panther’s art exhibit at Impact Hub in Oakland, CA in 2016. Photo: San Francisco Chronicle/Hearst Newspapers/Getty Images

A Former Black Panther Party Leader Reflects on Her Revolutionary Work -- Ericka Huggins, the longest-serving female leader of the organization, talks about the Party’s legacy and Black Lives Matter

Madeline Swegle makes history as U.S. Navy’s first Black female tactical jet pilot

L.A.’s independent bookstores reckon with diversity (or the lack of it)

African American Museum Removes, Apologizes for 'Whiteness' Chart on Its Website After Barrage of Conservative Tears

Gun violence is surging in cities, and hitting communities of color hardest -- Communities of color have endured the weight of COVID-19, the recession and social unrest. They’re also bearing the brunt of a surge in gun violence. 

Shepard-Fairey.jpg

Hackney, UK/Shepard Fairey Mural

Twitter bans 7,000 QAnon accounts, limits 150,000 others as part of broad crackdown -- The company will classify QAnon as coordinated harmful activity in part because of a rise in harassment targeting high-profile critics of the president.

alive1-1024x681.jpg

Dublin. Ireland/street artist Maser

Indianapolis bar owner says feds have "failed small businesses across America"

End of $600 Unemployment Bonus Could Push Millions Past the Brink -- Related: 'What in the hell are we doing?' Senate Republicans clash over coronavirus relief

"Our hospitals look like war zones": Texas battling influx of COVID-19 cases

Coronavirus live updates: In the U.S., more than 143,000 people have died of COVID-19. -- Related: Virus antibodies fade fast but not necessarily protection

COVID-19 outbreak reported at Texas federal medical prison

Convent outside Detroit lost 13 nuns to Covid-19 with 12 dying in one month

This Hospital Cost $52 Million. It Treated 79 Virus Patients.

Many more likely sought jobless aid as virus surges back

After the Pandemic, We’ll Finally Have to Address the Impossible State of Motherhood -- Quarantine living has forced many moms to accept a bumpy ride in a time machine toward a cramped past. Along the way, we've found that the generations-old issues our mothers faced never actually went away. -- Dream on, honey.

Rise of pandemic pods and 'Zutors': parents turn to private schooling amid coronavirus

5b0b67d7a31001b8b9b8c6e4.jpeg

Comic-Con is usually a crowded mess. That's all the more reason to miss it

MIT engineers designed an affordable, reusable face mask that’s as effective as an N95

How to Disinfect Without Harming Your Stuff (or Yourself)

Why masks are (still) politicized in America -- “This isn’t even a debate in other places,” one expert says.

Woman uses mother's obituary to condemn 'carelessness' by politicians over coronavirus

The Surprising Convergence Between Neo-Nazis and Jihadis -- A new terrorism case shows how the two extremist movements attract the same people

No, a reporter didn't call Kayleigh McEnany a 'lying b**ch,' but Fox ran with it anyway

Chinese consulate in Houston was hot spot for spying, say U.S. officials -- U.S. officials say the Houston consulate has long been used by China's government to steal medical research and to try to infiltrate the oil industry. -- Related: China harboring military-linked fugitive scientist at San Francisco consulate, FBI says

US orders closure of Chinese consulate in Houston -- Related: China vows to retaliate after U.S. orders closure of its consulate in Houston

North Korea 'ghost ships' washed up in Japan because of China's 'dark' fishing fleet, NGO says

1000.jpeg

This undated photo provided by the Hawaii Wildlife Fund shows microplastics at the beach at Kamilo Point in Naalehu, Hawaii. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has designated the waters of two remote beaches in Hawaii as being contaminated by trash, forcing the state to address the persistent problem of plastic deposited on its coastlines by swirling Pacific Ocean currents. (Megan Lamson, Hawaii Wildlife Fund via AP)

EPA finds plastic trash contaminates 2 remote Hawaii beaches

U.S. EPA proposing first-ever airplane emissions standards

Nazi concentration camp guard convicted over 5,232 murders -- Bruno Dey, 93, found guilty of accessory to murders in final months of second world war

Former deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein advised there was no age limits on child separations -- 2018 conference call with US prosecutors in border states shocked some participants, Guardian learns

The New Jane Crow: Women’s Mass Incarceration

Rachel Maddow and Mary Trump make formidable TV combination

200721113926-01-india-yellow-turtle-larg

Rare yellow turtle discovered in India

Fact check: Yes, there's a national coin shortage.

france-window-view.png

Screen grab above from Window Swap

Window Swap

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 2

Wow on that recent episode with Katy Perry....Fenmore's? What an ugly store. Why those record-as-decorations and music theme? So loud and tacky. It's definitely NOT how I pictured Fenmore's all these years (as a classic department store).

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

Portland+protests+AP.jpeg

Militarized federal agents deployed by the president to Portland, fired tear gas against protesters again overnight as the city’s mayor demanded that the agents be removed and as the state’s attorney general vowed to seek a restraining order against them. (Photo Associated Press)

Federal agents fire tear gas again at Portland protesters

Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf on federal agents surge, criticism of Portland response

Philly DA warns of charges if federal agents commit crimes

Violence, protests, arrival of agents put Chicago on edge

Police in riot gear clear NYC’s ‘Occupy City Hall’ camp

Oregon urges judge to rein in US agents deployed in Portland

1000.jpeg

Smoke fills the sky as federal officers try to disperse Black Lives Matter protesters on Wednesday, July 22, 2020, in Portland, Ore. A federal judge is hearing arguments on Oregon's request for a restraining order against federal agents who have been sent to the state's largest city to quell protests that have spiraled into nightly clashes between authorities and demonstrators. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

House votes to remove Confederate statues from Capitol -- Related: Louisiana city council votes to remove Confederate monument

Push to remove Confederate statues stalls in rural America

Sierra Club apologizes for founder John Muir’s racist views

image.jpg

'Fight Club' by Conor Harrington based on 'Massacre of the Innocents' by Charles Le Brun in Dulwich Picture Gallery/London

Constitutional law experts see federal officers’ actions in Portland as a ‘red flag’

Federal government under scrutiny for crackdown on Portland protesters

Oregon officials decry arrests by federal agents in Portland

A Constitutional Crisis in Portland

On the House floor, Democratic women call out abusive treatment by men -- Related: House Democrats rally around AOC after argument with Yoho outside Congress over crime and poverty -- House Democrats rallied around New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez after an encounter outside Congress, where she says Republican Ted Yoho called her “disgusting” for suggesting the rise in crime in New York was tied to poverty and unemployment. She claims he called her a misogynistic slur (fucking bitch). He denies it.

1000.jpeg

The casket containing the remains Rev. C.T. Vivian are carried from Providence Missionary Baptist Church after a funeral service Thursday, July 23, 2020, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

Reverend C.T. Vivian seemed to muster courage in the face of violence -- He was a master strategist in the movement, and one of Martin Luther King Jr.’s most trusted deputies -- Related: Reverend Vivian remembered as courageous, humble Civil Rights warrior

Holocaust survivor says NFL star DeSean Jackson accepted invitation to Auschwitz after anti-Semitic post 

ABC News cuts ties with exec, cites racial insensitivity -- One step forward, two steps back -- Santa Fe school counselor accused of racism back at work

To NBA coaches, racial equality is a priority of the restart

Sen. Kelly Loeffler intends on staying in WNBA, co-owning Atlanta Dream: 'They can't push me out'

Ex-cop charged in George Floyd’s death faces 9 tax evasion counts

The “free speech debate” isn’t really about free speech -- The debate over “cancel culture” is about something real. But it’s not about free speech.

Cultural Appropriation Was Always Inexcusable -- In the midst of the global reckoning on race, it's time to end appropriation in the fashion and beauty worlds.

Column: A judge says Cohen was jailed to punish him for writing about Trump. That's what dictatorships do

?m=02&d=20200724&t=2&i=1526942935&r=LYNX

Sunset is seen behind the skyline of Manhattan on the 4th of July in New York City, U.S., July 4, 2020 REUTERS/Andrew Kelly

U.S. admits making false statements in New York' Trusted Traveler' suit

Facebook is taking a hard look at racial bias in its algorithms -- Following a rocky civil rights audit, Facebook is creating teams to make its platforms work better for everyone.

How voice actors are fighting to change an industry that renders them invisible -- “People think I’m a white guy on the internet.” From Big Mouth to Apu, animation reckons with racism in voice acting.

COVID-19 CASES AS OF JULY 24, 2020, 1:45 A.M. (ET) -- Tracking the novel coronavirus in the U.S. -- At least 4,054,199 cases of the highly contagious novel coronavirus have been reported in the United States and its territories, according to a Reuters tally of state and local government sources. The U.S. diagnosed its first COVID-19 case in Washington state on Jan. 20. At least 144,315 have died of the illness across the United States, with the largest numbers so far in New York state.

Teaching People How to Spot Bad Science Is a Public Health Tool -- People had questions about COVID-19, so scientist Laurel Bristow took to Instagram to answer them.

California overtakes New York in number of reported coronavirus cases

Travelers from nearly two-thirds of U.S. states will now have to self-quarantine when entering New York -- Related: Social distancing Canadians eye new sight at Niagara Falls: crowds of Americans

Why COVID-19 is killing U.S. diabetes patients at alarming rates

New CDC guidelines say people with mild to moderate COVID-19 only need to isolate 10 days

A Texas county's only hospital forced to choose "who is sent home to die" as ICU beds near capacity

1595177318026.gif

We blew it

US labs buckle amid testing surge; world virus cases top 15M

What scientists are learning about how long Covid-19 immunity lasts -- Covid-19 antibody testing, long-term immunity, vaccines, herd immunity (and more!), explained. -- Related: What is pooled testing for COVID-19 and how can it help fight the virus?

How McKinsey Is Making $100 Million (and Counting) Advising on the Government’s Bumbling Coronavirus Response -- For the world’s best-known corporate-management consultants, helping tackle the pandemic has been a bonanza.

The Department of Health and Human Services buys $2 billion worth of Pfizer's vaccine candidate

U.S. to pay Pfizer, BioNTech $1.95 billion for COVID-19 vaccine -- Related: Exclusive: Novavax executives could get big payday even if vaccine fails

Torino tests out anti-virus gate for stadium access

U.S. economic outlook darkens, job recovery risks reversing: Reuters poll

The enduring appeal of The Office in a crumbling world -- How a nation engulfed by economic precarity turned a TV show about workplace drudgery into an aspirational fantasy.

GettyImages_543708382.jpg

Lifeguard Esteban Ospina at work at New York’s Astoria Pool in 2016. Jobs for teenagers such as lifeguarding have become scarce in recent years, a fact worsened by the pandemic -- Spencer Platt/Getty Images

Whatever happened to the summer job? -- How seasonal gigs became a nostalgic relic of the past for many of today’s young people.

Meet the 2020 grads entering the bleakest economy in decades -- “I think about it every day, maybe even every hour.” -- Related: Private proms during pandemic: ‘Footloose’ or loose cannons?

Shirking from home -- For remote employees, meetings and deep work are now coupled with online shopping, soothing puzzles and video games, and an array of other distractions.

1000.jpeg

San Francisco Giants players and coaches kneel with others during the national anthem before an exhibition baseball game against the Oakland Athletics in San Francisco, Tuesday, July 21, 2020. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)

Opening day amid virus: Masks, empty parks, social justice -- Related: Major League Baseball teams kneel to back Black Lives Matter; Fauci’s toss off

7c508d16-6c22-4da2-a97e-a3de7b7ff066_rw_

'Something to Fight For'/Stockwell, London/Sr. X

Ohio governor supports nuclear bailout law despite scandal -- Related: An FBI investigation shows Ohio’s abysmal energy law was fueled by corruption -- Electric utilities’ corruption problem is much bigger than FirstEnergy’s alleged bribery of Larry Householder.

667104_web1_Sharks-Declining.jpg

Whitetip shark (Photo University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marian and Atmospheric Science)

Study finds sharks are vanishing, and that's a "crisis" for humans

Kim Kardashian West urges compassion for Kanye over mental health disorder -- Psychiatrist Dr. Sue Varma discusses bipolar disorder and mental health after Kim Kardashian West asks for compassion and empathy surrounding Kanye's bipolar diagnosis. -- Related from AP: Kim K asks public to show compassion, empathy to Kanye West

Billionaires in New York could pay $5.5 billion a year under new tax -- A new tax is being proposed by progressive lawmakers and activists that would impose a new form of capital gains tax on New Yorkers with $1 billion or more in assets. Sponsors of the plan say it would raise $5.5 billion a year, which would be used for a new unemployment insurance fund for those impacted by Covid-19.

She’s a veteran who killed seven other veterans at a West Virginia hospital. Their families want to know why.

US Senate passes $740.5 bn defense bill that would rename bases -- Plenty for me, but none for the.

US confirms fighter jet flew close to Iranian jetliner above Syria, leading to passenger injuries -- Several on board were injured after Iranian pilots executed a rapid descent.

Shut Chengdu Consulate, China Tells U.S., in Retaliation for Houston

Swiss attorney general lied to investigators, hid meeting with FIFA chief - court

Goldman Sachs to pay $3.9 billion to Malaysia to settle 1MDB dispute

?m=02&d=20200724&t=2&i=1526977723&r=LYNX

(Photo Reuters)

Erdogan joins thousands to pray for first time at Istanbul's Hagia Sophia

Stone tools suggest earlier human presence in North America

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JasonCC said:

Wow on that recent episode with Katy Perry....Fenmore's? What an ugly store. Why those record-as-decorations and music theme? So loud and tacky. It's definitely NOT how I pictured Fenmore's all these years (as a classic department store).

I pictured it like Nordstrom here. They would have a guy in a tux playing softly on a grand piano between women's shoes and the escalator.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Welp, I did it. I just signed all the paperwork to sell my dad's house. I feel relieved and at the same time very, very sad.

I don't know if it will be the same for you, but I felt the same way when our folks house and possessions were finally all wrapped up.  There were more than a few wrenching moments at the auction as I saw some heirlooms that nobody either wanted or wanted enough to move were sold.

But I found that within a relatively short time, those feelings went away and I didn't find myself thinking much about what was lost but more about what had been.  

You have been a total trooper with your Dad and your parent's belongings and in every way, from what you've told us about this process.  Those have been the actions of a loving and supportive daughter and all around good human being.  I hope that's the feeling you're left with, eventually.

You done good, Peacheslatour!

• Love 7
(edited)

That was a Fenmore's Boutique, not the main store. The decor was likely an attempt to seem less staid and mainstream and to appeal to a younger crowd.

I pictured it like Nordstrom here. They would have a guy in a tux playing softly on a grand piano between women's shoes and the escalator.

Huh, that must be a Nordstrom thing because I've been in Nordstrom stores in three different states and they all had a guy playing the piano. As far as Fenmore's is concerned, I've never considered it as being at the Nordstrom's level. I think it's more like Dillards. (And yeah, I know Dillards also considers itself a luxury department store but I don't. For reasons. Come at me. 🙄)

Re Nordstrom, I went to one in Northern CA once and as the group of us were leaving the store around 4:00 these ladies were showing up dressed to the nines with gloves and everything. (Similar to the way Jill was dressed at Dru and Neil's wedding reception shown earlier this week.) A local in our group said they were coming for afternoon tea. I don't know why but that really made an impression on me. This was back in the 90s so I bet they don't do it anymore.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, boes said:

I don't know if it will be the same for you, but I felt the same way when our folks house and possessions were finally all wrapped up.  There were more than a few wrenching moments at the auction as I saw some heirlooms that nobody either wanted or wanted enough to move were sold.

But I found that within a relatively short time, those feelings went away and I didn't find myself thinking much about what was lost but more about what had been.  

You have been a total trooper with your Dad and your parent's belongings and in every way, from what you've told us about this process.  Those have been the actions of a loving and supportive daughter and all around good human being.  I hope that's the feeling you're left with, eventually.

You done good, Peacheslatour!

Thank you, that brought tears to my eyes. I wasn't allowed anywhere near the estate sale or the auction so I didn't experience that awfulness, thank god. I did read the lists of what things went for and I noticed some things missing from the list. My mother's fine china for one. Oh, well. I had to do it, my dad's care is very expensive but I can't help feeling guilty. Like what if he wakes up one day and he's fine? And I sold all his earthly possessions. Ugh.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

That was a Fenmore's Boutique, not the main store. The decor was likely an attempt to seem less staid and mainstream and to appeal to a younger crowd.

Huh, that must be a Nordstrom thing because I've been in Nordstrom stores in three different states and they all had a guy playing the piano. As far as Fenmore's is concerned, I've never considered it as being at the Nordstrom's level. I think it's more like Dillards. (And yeah, I know Dillards also considers itself a luxury department store but I don't. For reasons. Come at me. 🙄)

Re Nordstrom, I went to one in Northern CA once and as the group of us were leaving the store around 4:00 these ladies were showing up dressed to the nines with gloves and everything. (Similar to the way Jill was dressed at Dru and Neil's wedding reception shown earlier this week.) A local in our group said they were coming for afternoon tea. I don't know why but that really made an impression me. This was back in the 90s so I bet they don't do it anymore.

We used to have a chain of department store here called Frederick and Nelson's. They were the one with the fabulous Christmas displays and where everyone went to get their picture taken with Santa. The had a very high end tea room with weekly fashion shows. Doesn't B&B have something similar? I wish the soaps would bring back some of the elegance of the past. One of the reason's I and I'm sure many other people watch soaps is to see people living leisurely, glamorous lives. Far from the rat race that is modern life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Thanks for the clarification Joimiaroxeu that tacky place Lauren and Gloria were working in wasn't the real Fenmore's of all these years but a pop up boutique. Although that seems weird now how opposed Lauren was to Billy's Jabotique idea a couple years ago.....she was adamant it would hasten the decline of the traditional department store.

Loving this department store look talk. Living in Seattle the Nordstrom flagship store does indeed have live piano music (ironically, as peacheslatour knows, Nordstrom flagship downtown Seattle is in the old Frederick and Nelson's space). I didn't live here when F&N was a thing.

Not to be too Pacific Northwest centric, but in my head Fenmore's was more akin to The Bon Marche (before it got gobbled up by Macy's). 

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

Thanks for the clarification Joimiaroxeu that tacky place Lauren and Gloria were working in wasn't the real Fenmore's of all these years but a pop up boutique. Although that seems weird now how opposed Lauren was to Billy's Jabotique idea a couple years ago.....she was adamant it would hasten the decline of the traditional department store.

Loving this department store look talk. Living in Seattle the Nordstrom flagship store does indeed have live piano music (ironically, as peacheslatour knows, Nordstrom flagship downtown Seattle is in the old Frederick and Nelson's space). I didn't live here when F&N was a thing.

Not to be too Pacific Northwest centric, but in my head Fenmore's was more akin to The Bon Marche (before it got gobbled up by Macy's). 

Ah, the Bon.

• Love 4
(edited)

Peaches, I'm reading that the We Swear We're Not The Gestapo forces are on their way to Seattle this weekend.  Please be careful if you're out and about.

And can I say that Dr. Birx is working my last nerve.  Will someone please take one of her stupid scarves and shove it in her dissembling mouth?  Sorry, I'm salty.  It's been a long week.  But I bought some cherries and white peaches today that were delicious, and I just treated myself to an ice cream waffle.  Let the weekend commence! 

P.S. -pearlite, I know you hate them, but that raccoon is too cute and made me smile!  

Edited by Snaporaz
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Pittsburgh has no department stores left.  We had three when I was a kid.  Kaufmann's (once owned by the family that commissioned FLW to build Fallingwater as their weekend home) was the last one and it became a Macy's about 15 years ago.  Macy's closed a few years back.  Now a Target will be going in the ground floor.  I'm not sure about the rest of the building.

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

P.S. -pearlite, I know you hate them, but that raccoon is too cute and made me smile!  

I don't hate them as such, snap. I just prefer that they keep to their own turf. They did chew massive holes in part of my roof and fascia, and then went through one wall on my third floor. Ending up with little black paws reaching through that portal into my bedroom. Upshot? 25K worth of complete roof rebuild and so on.

So, yes, they're cute--at a distance. And you take any chance you get for a smile, sweetie!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

We lost pretty much all our Canadian department stores [sniff]. We had Eatons, where my father worked and where the mother would take me on Fridays when she felt like it. And Simpsons, and Holt Renfrew, which is now foreign owned.

Hudsons Bay, the old fur trading empire is also in foreign ownership, and they're in the same group as Saks, Nordstrom, and so on. So instead of our own stores, we have Saks and Nordstrom, and the non-Canadian The Bay.

As a kid who grew up part of the time in a department store, I came to really love them. Now we've got pretty much nothing [sniff].

• Love 5
(edited)

500.jpg?quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s

Federal agents shoot teargas and pepper balls at protesters near the federal courthouse in Portland, Oregon, on 23 July. Photograph: Mike Logdson/RMV/REX/Shutterstock

America 'staring down the barrel of martial law', Oregon senator warns -- Ron Wyden says Portland tactics threaten democracy. Senator Jeff Merkley deplores ‘military-style assault’ -- Made-for-TV Fascism

Portland is exactly how not to police protests -- An expert explains how local and federal law enforcement can best police protests.

U.S. charges 18 Portland protesters as it sends tactical police to Seattle

The Coming Constitutional Crisis?

Chad Wolf: who is the Trump official leading the crackdown in Portland? -- The fifth homeland security secretary has denied there’s a systemic problem in US law enforcement and overseen extreme immigration restrictions -- We Swear We're Not The Gestapo™

Portland standoff with US agents ongoing after mayor gassed

Surge of federal agents leaves many questions unanswered

Chicago groups sue to bar federal agents from protest duties

200724-portland-protest-se-507p_1e187684

Black Lives Matter organizer Teal Lindseth, 21, leads protesters Thursday in Portland, Ore -- Noah Berger / Aassociated Press

From Black lives to 'white spectacle,' Portland protests have lost focus, civil rights leaders say -- “The focus has been moved from where it is supposed to be and made to be a spectacle, a debacle," said the president of the Portland NAACP.

Oregon asks for restraining order against federal agents in Portland -- The state's lawsuit is part of a growing pushback against the Trump administration's use of federal agents against protesters.

Representation is deeper than putting Black icons on magazine covers -- Critics say recent Vanity Fair and Vogue covers missed the mark, drawing attention to the shortcomings of media representation.

Department of Housing and Urban Development revokes Obama-era rule designed to diversify the suburbs

Former Redskins become Washington Football Team for 2020 season

Minnesota governor signs police accountability bill into law

It’s “white supremacy normalized”: A historian on why Stone Mountain should come down  -- The largest Confederate monument in the nation was once the site of Ku Klux Klan gatherings. -- Related: Chicago takes down statues of Columbus, plans review of all monuments

6-day celebration of life for Rep. John Lewis begins Saturday -- Lewis, 80, died last Friday, after a months-long battle with pancreatic cancer. -- Related: Activists working in John Lewis's shadow warn about voter suppression ahead of November vote

All new DACA applications put in 'pending' bucket, government lawyer says -- The Supreme Court ruled last month that the Trump administration didn’t properly end the program. The Trump administration can still end it, but has to go about it differently.

An Explicit Guide to Being Anti-Racist -- Showing empathy is not enough. Here's how white and non-Black POC can proactively work toward change.

How the child care crisis is magnifying racial disparities -- Ninety-three percent of child care workers are women, and 45 percent are Black, Asian or Latino, while half of child care businesses are minority-owned. -- Related: Why It Took So Long For Politicians To Treat The Child Care Crisis As A Crisis

The global march of face masks: A mirror on humanity

?m=02&d=20200707&t=2&i=1524954783&w=780&

People drink and socialize in an outdoor area at St Villa bar and restaurant in St. Albans, Britain, July 4. REUTERS/Paul Childs

Reuters PICTURES - TUE JUL 7, 2020 - Our world re-engineered for social distancing

These are some of the 91,000 people who've died since the US reopened

More people in the US are hospitalized with Covid-19 than at almost any other time -- With daily cases, hospitalizations, and deaths still on the rise, the coronavirus pandemic is not slowing down in the US.

Four mayors reflect on their evolving response to the coronavirus pandemic

Texas Battling One Another After Mask Order -- Related: How politics, inequity, and complacency undermined Texas’s fight against Covid-19 -- Texas has become another cautionary tale amid the pandemic.

COVID-19 tests: There's an insurmountable backlog of virus tests. -- A rapid test could help. Rapid tests could alleviate delays in diagnosing the coronavirus — but they're not without flaws.

CDC director concedes schools in ‘hot spots’ face tougher call on reopening-- Related: Health officials are trying to speed up testing. Here’s why their plan won’t work. -- The approach, called pooled testing, combines samples from multiple people and then screens the individual samples only if the batch comes back positive.

What Camus’s The Plague can teach us about the Covid-19 pandemic -- A conversation about solidarity and revolt in Camus’s famous novel.

What Arizona’s Tenuous Virus Plateau Could Teach Us

2020_04_15_erd_graffiti_TGD_9694.jpg

Budapest, Hungary/Hungarian Live Street Art Initiative/graffiti artist IDAR

How laid-off Americans may ‘fall through the cracks’ of the health care system during COVID-19

End-of-life planning during the coronavirus pandemic, in 8 steps -- How to make crucial financial and health care decisions for you and your loved ones.

McConnell says stimulus deal could take ‘a few weeks,’ putting millions with expiring jobless aid in limbo -- Related: Economists Think Congress Should Keep Paying Unemployed Workers $600 A Week Or Even More

Silicon Valley’s richest are getting richer just as the pandemic is getting worse -- The net worth of Jeff Bezos grew by a record $13 billion on Monday. -- Related: Life Without the Everything Store

America’s hidden economic crisis: Widespread wage cuts -- Employers are using pay cuts to stay afloat during the recession, an unusual move that could signal deep damage to the labor market.

Is Harvard worth $50,000 if it's only online? That depends on who you ask

hqdefault.jpg

Tailgate (photo by Ana Kasparian)

The end of the American dream -- Small businesses were once pillars of communities, but economic and systemic forces left many fighting for survival. Then came the pandemic

The economy is in deep trouble again. Coronavirus is to blame

Clint Eastwood sues CBD sellers over use of his name, image

blackbackground.png

Facebook’s sad summer continues with a $650 million settlement -- The company will pay Illinois users between $200 and $400 over claims that it violated the state’s facial recognition law. -- Related: NY lawmakers vote to pause facial recognition in schools

A world in isolation, a surge of new users for Twitter

Journalist held for 6 years gains New Zealand refugee status

Americans tune in to ‘cancel culture’ and don't like what they see -- In this day and age, turn about is fair play.

BFH_Logo-01%5B1%5D.jpg

Bikes For Humanity Event -- July 25th, 2020 --  A Fun Virtual Bike Ride to Benefit Others

China tells US to close Chengdu consulate in growing spat -- Related: Chinese consulate in Houston closed following US State Department order

Chinese researcher who took refuge in San Francisco consulate in U.S. custody, officials say

Israel’s anti-Netanyahu protests, explained -- Between the prime minister’s corruption trial and coronavirus failure, Israelis are calling on him to resign.

Calling Space Force! -- US and Russia to hold talks on regulating militarization of space -- US claims Russia tested satellite-launched weapon this month. Negotiators to meet in Vienna on Monday July 27. -- Related: US accuses Russia of testing anti-satellite weapon in space

Top counterintelligence official warns of foreign interference

?m=02&d=20140725&t=2&i=945555360&w=640&f

Camilla the rubber chicken is seen at 124,800 feet (38,039 m) above California in this NASA handout image dated March 3, 2012. During last month's solar storm a group of students called "Earth to Sky" from Bishop, California, launched a helium balloon which lifted the chicken into space to study solar radiation. Camilla, which is the mascot of NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, reached the stratosphere along with a payload carrying radiation sensors, cameras, GPS trackers, a thermometer, insects and sunflower seeds. REUTERS/NASA/Earth to Sky/Bishop Union High School/Handout

Time to be afraid: Preparing for the next big solar storm

Rare leopard frog found beyond its known range in Southwest

The Best Farms in Every State -- Including our favorite farm stands, CSAs, dairies, pick-your-own fruit orchards, and ranches.

Taco Bell is removing some vegetarian menu items. Here’s why you shouldn’t panic. -- The favorite fast food joint of herbivores is making some changes, but they’re not necessarily bad.

‘It's insane’: Millions of kids could lose access to free meals if this program expires

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Peaches, I'm reading that the We Swear We're Not The Gestapo forces are on their way to Seattle this weekend.  Please be careful if you're out and about.

And can I say that Dr. Birx is working my last nerve.  Will someone please take one of her stupid scarves and shove it in her dissembling mouth?  Sorry, I'm salty.  It's been a long week.  But I bought some cherries and white peaches today that were delicious, and I just treated myself to an ice cream waffle.  Let the weekend commence! 

You do it too? Ice cream waffle sandwiches have been a staple treat at our house ever since Monsieur LaTour and I got married. And don't worry, I'm a hermit. I do, however worry about JasonCC. He is up on Capitol Hill. But thanks, you old lovey bug!

• Love 4
19 hours ago, JasonCC said:

It had my favorite restroom!  It was huge with  an elegant lounge area.  Reminded me of The Women (last scene in the ladies room).  Waah, now I miss Seattle.  

• Love 3
(edited)
34 minutes ago, MollyB said:

It had my favorite restroom!  It was huge with  an elegant lounge area.  Reminded me of The Women (last scene in the ladies room).  Waah, now I miss Seattle.  

Nordstom in Bellevue had a lovely Ladies Lounge. Did The Collonade have something like that? I seem to remember Drinki and Sharon squabbling somewhere like that.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
(edited)

bfe09cbe7ea7cd83053250976d8dffa0.jpg

‘Riot’/Zabou and Blouh/Secret location, Belgium 

We Swear We're Not The Gestapo™ -- Justice Department inspector general investigating agency's responses in Portland and D.C. -- Federal law enforcement officers have faced heavy criticism over their treatment of protesters.

Judge Orders Newsrooms to Give Unpublished Seattle Protest Images to the Police

Portland, and polarization -- “We are witnessing a crisis of democracy that is perfectly acceptable to a significant portion of the population, as long as it hurts their enemies.”

Why Portland? The city's history of protest takes an exceptional turn -- Related: What the heck is going on in Portland?

Portland protesters accuse federal officers of indiscriminate tear gas attacks -- "I couldn't see," said a protester, who had been hit with tear gas while napping. "I ran with my eyes closed, tears and snot running down my face."

U.S. charges 18 Portland protesters as it sends tactical police to Seattle

Seattle police declare riot at renewed Black Lives Matter protests -- Related: At least 45 arrested after protesters throw explosives and rocks at police in Seattle, authorities say

One man killed and a suspect is arrested after shots fired during protests in Austin

American carnage: Whether you believe the country is in the grip of an explosion of violence significantly depends on what media you listen to

Statues Of Christopher Columbus And Robert E. Lee Were Removed From Chicago And Richmond -- A Robert E. Lee High School in Virginia was also renamed for civil rights icon John Lewis. -- Related: Robert E. Lee high school in Virginia to be renamed for late Rep. John Lewis -- Fairfax School Board Chair Ricardy Anderson said the board "strongly believes this is an appropriate tribute to an individual who is a true American hero."

200725-john-lewis-edmund-pettus-bridge-2

Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., stands on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Ala., on Feb. 14, 2015. Rep. Lewis was beaten by police on the bridge on "Bloody Sunday" on March 7, 1965, during an attempted march for voting rights from Selma to Montgomery -- Bill Clark/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images file

Body of Rep. John Lewis will cross bridge where, at 25, he thought he would be killed -- The casket carrying the activist and congressman will cross the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, one final time. -- Related: John Lewis' great-nephew: My uncle was 'my hero' and 'it's up to us to keep his legacy alive'

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

A municipal worker walks past a graffitti of a youth wearing a facemak during a government-imposed nationwide lockdown as a preventive measure against the COVID-19 coronavirus, in Mumbai on May 4, 2020. (Photo by INDRANIL MUKHERJEE / AFP)

There is no Plan B -- What's the backup plan if there's no COVID-19 vaccine? -- Analysis: Recent news from vaccine trials has been promising, but some experts worry that the U.S. needs a Plan B.

Women are on the frontlines in the fight against COVID-19

FEMA Sends Faulty Protective Gear to Nursing Homes Battling Virus

U.S. Supreme Court turns down church challenge to Nevada pandemic rules

American unemployment claims are on the rise again for the first time in 4 months

Corporate America was here for you on coronavirus until about June -- Big employers are quietly rolling back pandemic-related perks and benefits.

Employers are having trouble hiring. They blame the federal $600 unemployment bump -- Related: Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin: Virus aid package soon, $1,200 checks by August -- Really?

Fed hoped to skirt a second virus wave. Small businesses may sink in it

?m=02&d=20200724&t=2&i=1527019981&w=780&

Students stand on social distancing marks before entering a classroom at a primary school during its reopening in Jumet, Belgium, May 18. REUTERS/Yves Herman

Reuters PICTURES - FRI JUL 24, 2020 - Back to school: Learning to keep apart as classes reopen

Guardian Update -- White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said, “It is our firm belief that our schools are essential places of business, if you will, that our teachers are essential personnel.” -- Our children are 'economic assets' and need to be deployed for fall semester.

‘Clear as mud’ housing refund plans irk college students -- Related: 40 million Americans face student loan cliff -- Unless Congress or the administration intervenes, monthly loan payments paused due to the pandemic will come due for tens of millions of borrowers.

Renters brace for evictions as moratorium ends -- Cities across the country are bracing for a surge of evictions as a four-month federal moratorium that has protected millions expires Friday.

Big chains filed for bankruptcy and closed stores every week in July. Here are 9 of them

Coronavirus ravaged Florida, as Ron DeSantis sidelined scientists

US tops 1,000 coronavirus deaths 4 days in a row as experts urge the country to shut down

200529013028-05-coronavirus-documenting-

Museums and historians are navigating how to write the history of Covid-19 when the end isn't in sight

Two Shoppers Banned From Walmart After Wearing Nazi Flag Face Masks Inside Store

Thousands of families evicted in Sao Paulo amid pandemic -- Related: In struggle against pandemic, populist leaders fare poorly

South Korea to train hundreds of doctors to battle future epidemics

FDA tells doctors to discuss overdose antidote with patients

"Fear will not fill our bellies": Why Indian scavengers risk their lives amid coronavirus debris

Clean up 'inhumane' migrant fruit-picker camps, UN official tells Spain after fires

Storm Hanna lashes Texas as state struggles with coronavirus -- Hanna was the first hurricane of the 2020 Atlantic season, according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center.

Rembrandt and Picasso entice life back to auctions after lockdown

200725110837-01-balenciaga-tra-my-nguyen

Photo: Tra My Nguyen

'I am not your moodboard': Graduate fashion designer accuses Balenciaga of appropriation

This one letter in a textbook could change how millions of kids learn about race

A new DNA study offers insight into the horrific story of the trans-Atlantic slave trade

Federal judge blocks part of Tennessee 'heartbeat' abortion law

BB17bMWH.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

The plane crashed into the backyards of two homes and damaged three houses in West Jordan, Utah, on Saturday. © Emilee Bond

Plane With Six Aboard Crashes Into Backyard in Utah City

Houston consulate one of worst offenders in Chinese espionage, say U.S. officials

Bomb kills eight in Turkish-held Syria town: monitor

US again accuses Russia of sending arms and mercenaries to Libya

Is Hollywood Too Soft on Conservative Women? -- Phyllis Schlafly in Mrs. America, Megyn Kelly in Bombshell, even Margaret Thatcher back in the days of The Iron Lady. Time for a reality check on the damage they did.

How slow motion changed movies -- Slow-mo is inescapable. Here’s how it happened.

hagia-sophia-cat-gli-photo-hagiasophiaca

Gli the cat can stay even as Istanbul's Hagia Sophia changes -- Related: Gli's Instagram

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Delivers a Lesson in Decency on the House Floor -- Related: Rep. Ted Yoho resigns from board of Christian organization following AOC incident

Women reflect on sexist slur that often goes unpunished

Regis Philbin, television personality, has died at 88

Fleetwood Mac blues guitarist Peter Green dies at 73

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4