Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: When Tortoises Fly

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Chief Boden confronts Maddox, believing he is the hand behind Serena's accusations intended to skew Boden's credibility from the approaching trial. Severide reaches out to Jamie, Maddox's lawyer, in an effort to help out and Capt. Patterson questions Boden's ability to remain Chief. Meanwhile, Brett and Chili discover a man passed out in a garden that may have a connection to a call from a previous crash site and Otis looks to fill up his social calendar, but the situation hits a bump in the road.

No comments yet? The tortoise was the favorite part of the episode for me. I wanted to play with him, heh. That being said, I would have gone with Michelangelo or Raphael as names, rather than the Leonardo and Donatello route.

Also, I wonder what is up with Chilli?

• Love 1

I must have been in need of a good laugh because when Jimmy made the line about the "wrong Ninja Turtle" I dissolved into at least a good 5 minute laugh. Complete with tears. Best line of the episode.

• Love 3

Severide was so indignant when his lawyer ex wouldn't break client confidentiality for him.  Dude, you're not THAT good in bed that it would make up for her getting disbarred.

The tortoise was adorable!  And I was so happy that Pouch was in the episode too.

And this week, Casey is in the middle of a ceiling duct collapse.  Last week, he was hit by a car.  The week before, he got pelted with a projectile baby.  He really seems to be cursed.

• Love 5

Why is the Chicago Emergency Services trilogy so terrible at writing villains? Seriously, they're over the top gloaters who will do the most insane things. And of course, they cast HITVs (Hey, It's That Villain!) to pound it in even more.It's already bitten them on the ass on PD with Voight after his "introduction" on Fire. Somehow, we're supposed to forget he's batshit insane - it's like an entirely different character.

• Love 1

Chili?  My guess is that there is someone else in the picture.  Confrontation to follow!

Does anyone in this FD have a lick of common sense?  Boden needs a babysitter to keep him from himself.  Jeez, guy, you're smarter than that.  Maybe Cruz could have Freddy do a few favors one night.

So the detective walks into the bar (stop me if you've heard this one), confronts Boden, and says "Turn around, and place your hands on the bar."  Hey, dick, he'a already facing the bar.  You want him to turn around to face away from the bar?  Which is what he actually did.

Relative to my earlier comment, I guess Donatello at least had the common sense to go inside before Otis got back with the truck. 

Top flight work by the PD too.  Didn't search the vehicle before towing it?  Good one.  And now, if the firehouse tries to give the empty wallet back to the wife, any complaints about theft end up on their heads.  Good move, guys.

I liked Mrs. Boden's comment after the car sped away.  "There's someone else in the car!"  Really?  I thought it was a Google self-driving SUV.

If Casey didn't have enough brains not to stand underneath a suddenly unsupported aluminum duct with a 150+ pound weight on it, he deserved it.

• Love 3

Outbreak of Characters acting stupid for Plot. I can't take my Boden acting like a moron. He's in control, he rules! I did like his wife standing by her man, though.

If Riddle isn't behind the framing, does it mean that the political storyline with him will go on after Boden is exonerated? Noooo!

Show, if you want me to like new characters, don't make me hate them first (Voight is an exception, plus he was a good villain). So, two episodes and Patterson is kind of one of the guys? Yeah, no. And I was ready to support Severide and Jamie before you ruined her in my eyes, so please don't make them a thing now.

Gabby taking responsibility and not acting superior? That was a surprise, but it's good too when her shoulders are chip-free.

This nonsense, godawful (imo) Otis/Sylvie thing is going on? Stop it now.

Of course, Chili and Jimmy were my bright spot once more and of course, trouble in paradise is coming. I know, I know, it has to be, but they're so cute and hot and I like them separately as characters, too. I thought it was in character for Chili to repeat that everything was OK, smile, and deny.

I think it might be a family-related problem/blast from the past, with possibility of drowning in the bottle. We didn't have an alcoholic yet at 51, did we? (I honestly don't remember).

• Love 2

Does anyone in this FD have a lick of common sense?  Boden needs a babysitter to keep him from himself.  Jeez, guy, you're smarter than that. 

When someone on Voight's team is telling you to calm the hell down and quit being a reckless idiot, you know you've gone over the deep end.

• Love 7

I predict Chilli will get the active alcoholic storyline what with the bottle in her living room--always the women, such as the late great Shay (tapping chest in respect) and one of the older firefighters (probably St Christopher) will be a recovering alcoholic and sponsor her. Show will get her through all 12 steps in the next episode or two.

Nice finesse Boden of confronting the bad guy and telling him exactly what you suspect. He'll never be able to cover his tracks now! Boden is becoming such an idiot.

• Love 3

Boden's storyline was doomed for the start, even more so when Voight OFFERS up his services as head of Intelligence and you turn him down...Like...Seriously, guy?  Love him or hate him, you want Voight on your side.  At the very least he'd have had pressed ass detective chilling out a little bit.

Can cops walk up to you and tell you you're under arrest and not say what for?  Actually, I'd bet they can.

Does anyone in this FD have a lick of common sense?  Boden needs a babysitter to keep him from himself.  Jeez, guy, you're smarter than that.

<snip>

Relative to my earlier comment, I guess Donatello at least had the common sense to go inside before Otis got back with the truck. 

Seconded. WALLACE. GAWD. Use your head! Put down that shovel and stop digging your own grave!

I would have found the Otis/Tortoise incident  funnier if at any time since Otis took over the driving we'd heard about his inability to back up.

So do we think Kelly "officially" lives at Casey's? I mean, yes, i realize he does, but didn't it start out that he "needed a place to stay" because he couldn't stay in the Shay apt?

While I am ok with Sophia Bush and Detective Halsted, I am still a Lindseride (Elly? Erly? Kerin? Seversay?) 'shipper. I feel like she's the only one who ever challenged him to be a better person (or, rather, not challenged, but encouraged. Kelly wanted  to be a better person when with Erin.)

Given that Dick Wolf doesn't like stories that aren't quickly resolved, I expect the Maddox thing will be resolved in another episode or so. I really wanted Voight to come in and stomp all over the investigation just to get sour puss IA guy off screen. I guess he got his IA tips from the long running NYPD IA dude from the Law & Order family.

Not sure what Severide thought Jaime would do. Didn't she use Gabby's inside tips (and files) to land her "whale" of a client?

Boden deserved to be arrested just for being stupid. But the state's attorney shows up to tell Boden that he is the most important witness to their case against a well-connected individual but he needs to clean up this out-of-nowhere extremely OOC assault claim first or it jeopardizes the case? First, what was Boden supposed to do to speed up the investigation? Second, seriously? You can't put two and two together? Stupid was contagious this episode.

My favorite part of the episode was Hermann only giving the guy $3 as a bribe and then taking it back. But why didn't the police have the wallet? Do they really just take abandoned cars to a corrupt impound lot?

Edited because Boden and Biden are two different people.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 1

Severide was so indignant when his lawyer ex wouldn't break client confidentiality for him.  Dude, you're not THAT good in bed that it would make up for her getting disbarred.

No kidding! He got super huffy on a high horse when she refused and I was like, so after she helps you out and then gets disbarred, how is she supposed to earn a living? Your dick isn't THAT good.

No kidding! He got super huffy on a high horse when she refused and I was like, so after she helps you out and then gets disbarred, how is she supposed to earn a living? Your dick isn't THAT good.

I think his point was that she would do ethically dubious things like have someone steal the arson investigation files to get someone off, but not do shady things for him for Right and The American Way. 

• Love 2

This season continues to be awful. Casey is devoid of any personality. Severide has the same storylines on repeat. The potential Otis/Sylvie romance is just a redo of Cruz/Sylvie.

Boden going nuts at Chilli for being 25 minutes late for shift bugged. We've seen him pull a blind eye over a lot worse from his "family" over the last four seasons.

Patterson is such a wimpy, ladder climbing tool. I can't wait to see the back of him.

Chilli seems to be having some sort of bipolar episode that came out of nowhere.

What's happened to this show.