Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E00: 5 Years Forward (Special)

Overview of what happened to the characters, in Rosewood and outside, in the five years between 6A and 6B. This special episode features exclusive scenes, a view of the brand new set, and interviews with the cast and crew about the highly anticipated changes in season 6B.

Promo:

• Love 1

Damn. Everybody is at their hottest, and listening to Ash Benzo and Troian speak is pretty tempting - especially Ashley's voice is different from Hanna's. But then I clicked on the sneak peak and changed my mind: spending that much time listening to them talk bullshit like the show is still thinking things through and being deep and what not is just not very appealing. I'll probably check gifs on tumblr though.

• Love 1

So, none of the relationships survived, but somehow they all end up back in Rosewood, and somebody else starts sending them threatening texts? They really couldn't come up with a different plot? And of course, they won't tell anyone (like the police) & we'll have the same exact story, just 5 years later.

• Love 1

In the clip of Alison and Mona in the classroom, Mona says she was back in town for her 21st birthday.  That would make her 16 at the end of Season 6A.  Something doesn't compute.

I think that might be a flashback. When they introduce the clip they say it's from the middle of the season so maybe it's supposed to have happened sometime during those 5 years before the liars return to Rosewood because Alison is talking like she hasn't seen them in a while and we know they all get together to discuss them testifying at Charlotte's trial 5 years after graduation. But if Mona is 21 and still in college then Alison should also be 21 and wouldn't be old enough to be teaching. Unless she's student teaching or Mona is a couple years younger than the other girls? This show really struggles to maintain time continuity. 

• Love 1

Maybe they are going to retcon that Mona skipped a bunch of grades because she was such a genius? Although that wouldn't make any sense since we saw her driving in S1. I have stopped trying to apply earth logic to this show because it just makes my head hurt. To be honest, I'm just glad they did this time jump so that we don't have to wonder why the girls are watching movies from the future (Frozen), singing songs from the future (Bang Bang), and using phones from the future anymore.

• Love 2

Okay, I rewatched that scene with Mona and Alison and Alison says that Charlotte has been working hard to recover for four years, which means that if Mona was 17 when she finished high school (which isn't unusual) than it's totally believable that she had her 21st birthday four years after high school (also of note: this scene takes place between 6A and 6B). I guess I'm supposed to believe that Alison is student teaching because there's no way she could already be a full time teacher only four years after high school. Thanks to the internet, I learned that Penn State offers a BEd degree so I guess that's what we're going with? I remember there was a lot of debate over the years about how old Ezra was and how long it would take to become a high school teacher in Pennsylvania.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I stopped applying earth logic to this show only a few years ago, nowadays I just nod, let my eyes glaze over and willingly follow wherever this addiction of a show leads me. I just watched to see if any teaser scenes would be shown and if any SLs for the upcoming season would be discussed.

LOVED that the Pretty Little Moms were interviewed! Could have watched them discuss pretty much anything for that entire hour. :-)

• Love 3

Okay, I rewatched that scene with Mona and Alison and Alison says that Charlotte has been working hard to recover for four years, which means that if Mona was 17 when she finished high school (which isn't unusual) than it's totally believable that she had her 21st birthday four years after high school (also of note: this scene takes place between 6A and 6B). I guess I'm supposed to believe that Alison is student teaching because there's no way she could already be a full time teacher only four years after high school. Thanks to the internet, I learned that Penn State offers a BEd degree so I guess that's what we're going with? I remember there was a lot of debate over the years about how old Ezra was and how long it would take to become a high school teacher in Pennsylvania.

The only way Alison could be teaching at the same time Mona is celebrating her 21st birthday is if it’s the scenes takes place in the Fall following the girls’ college graduation (2016), which makes sense because Ali says she's spent every day with Charlotte over the past 4 years. So Mona would have to have a late birthday and Alison would have had to be hired for a full-time teaching job immediately after graduating. But the dialogues also makes it seem like Mona is still in school while Alison is not. Mona says she's back in town for her birthday and Alison asks why she's not celebrating with her college friends, to which Mona responds that they threw her a party at Duke so she's still there. Of course Mona could be in grad school. Whatever it is I'm sure we're putting more thought into it than the writers did but deciphering the PLL time vortex is always fun/infuriating. 

Edited by SadieT

Ha, I loved the moms' theories about how they got out of the basement and how long they were stuck down there before anyone noticed they were gone.

It was nice to see the cast members chatting together. I thought this episode would be fast forward city, but I ended up enjoying the actors hanging out together. We rarely get to see the PLL moms all in one room so that was a treat.

My biggest disappointment was learning that Emily's dad died. Nooooooo! That was followed very closely by learning that Hanna and Caleb are no longer together. Damn it, Hanna! I really don't care what Ezra's emotional baggage is. When he said that building houses for the poor was what he was meant to do, I just thought but how do you support yourself while you're doing that? Then I remembered his family is loaded and he has that dresser drawer full of money.

I love behind the scenes stuff so I really liked seeing the new and old sets. When they talked about the heart shaped bed and then they showed a picture of that Moulin Rouge looking bed, it reminded me of the swan bed in Flowers in the Attic so now I'm expecting some freaky pairing to happen on that bed.

I also liked hearing the PLLs talk about what they remembered about filming the very first barn scene. That was so long ago and it was interesting to see what they remembered. Troian remembered how cold she was and being told to hold her breath so that it wouldn't show on camera, but Shay was the one who remembered that they had her putting ice cubes in her mouth. And I am totally not surprised that Ashley was the one who found the perfect theme song for the show.

One thing I didn't like or possibly misunderstood was Keegan saying that Toby inherited money from his house exploding. Does that mean his parents are dead? Maybe I am mistaken but I thought an inheritance was something you received from someone who died. If his parents are still alive, wouldn't they get the insurance money from the house being blown up? If they're still alive and they just gave Toby the insurance money, that's not an inheritance.

The only way Alison could be teaching at the same time Mona is celebrating her 21st birthday is if it’s the scenes takes place in the Fall following the girls’ college graduation (2016), which makes sense because Ali says she's spent every day with Charlotte over the past 4 years. So Mona would have to have a late birthday, like you mentioned, and Alison would have had to be hired for a full-time teaching job immediately after graduating. But the dialogues also makes it seem like Mona is still in school while Alison is not. Mona says she's back in town for her birthday and Alison asks why she's not celebrating with her college friends, to which Mona responds that they threw her a party at Duke so she's still there. Of course Mona could be in grad school. Whatever it is I'm sure we're putting more thought into it than the writers did but deciphering the PLL time vortex is always fun/infuriating.

Alison could be student teaching as part of her credential/certification program (some schools like Iowa State require their undergraduates majoring in education to student teach for a minimum of 14 consecutive weeks).

As for Mona celebrating her birthday with her college friends, I think it's likely that both she and Alison are still in school (whether it's undergrad or grad school) at the time of this flashback. When Alison asked about Mona celebrating with her college friends, I found that to be a common way that parents or high school friends refer to a person's college friends. For someone like Alison, it's mostly because Mona has friends that Ali hasn't met. It's not that Ali is jealous of them, just that she doesn't know who they are or probably even know their names, so it's just a generic term for people she's assuming are Mona's friends in her new life. Similarly, I could imagine Hanna saying something to Emily about "your California friends." But in Mona's case, the designation just refers to where she met her friends (I know someone who still refers to her almost 30 year old daughter's college friends, as in, "She went to visit her college friends") but it doesn't necessarily mean that Mona is still in school even though I think she probably is.

But yes, I think we just put more thought into this than any of the writers did!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Well, it seems that everything Charlotte did was forgivable. No biggie on all the terrorizing, kidnapping, violating, threatening, murdering, etc! I loved how they wrote it all off by claiming that this new threat is serious, where as it used to be just threatening to reveal someone's secrets but now actual lives are at stake! Fun retcon, A was never that bad apparently. 

• Love 4

^ Zero surprises on my part. How is it different from what the show did with Mona? It's just on a different scale, both the actions and the justifications. The same can be said about Ezra, TobAy... pretty much everyone. Was there someone on the show that was unforgivable and stayed on the show for long enough?

• Love 1

They sure never tire of hitting us with the anvils of Saint Alison: 'I have spent every day with her [Charlotte] for the last four years". Seriously?!  "She is changed". I am getting horrible flashbacks of Buffy's season seven speeches - "He has a sooooooul now". What's so wrong with not redeeming every villain of any importance?

So, none of the relationships survived, but somehow they all end up back in Rosewood, and somebody else starts sending them threatening texts? They really couldn't come up with a different plot? And of course, they won't tell anyone (like the police) & we'll have the same exact story, just 5 years later.

Yes, only it's almost certainly going to be so much worse and not just because it's a rehash. But hey, maybe this Big Bad will actually have a semblance of a motive for targeting the Liars? I mean, third time is a charm, right?

But really, talking as if the new story being a life or death situation as if that's some new things is just so pathetic. I can just picture Troian's eye roll once the cameras stopped.

And killing Wayne Fields? The accusations that they are far more willing to kill off minority characters are starting to ring disturbingly true. Plus, can't there be one decent father in this show? Plus, they took swimming away from Emily, they took Maya, they took Paige, now her dad and apparently she dropped out too - while the other three girls are (apparently) confidently chasing their dreams and their main love interests are still in the picture. Mind you, Emily has been boring me to tears for like two seasons now but why does she have it worse than the others?

ETA: Wait, now I noticed Alison told Mona that Emily went to visit Paige... but Marlene also said on twitter recently that Lindsey Shaw is unavailable, so I guess they just threw a bone to the shippers and don't intend this to go anywhere.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

Totally possible for Ali to be teaching if she got hired out of college. (4 years bachelors in education and English - as apparently that's the class she's teaching.) It always strikes me as funny for what people find unrealistic about these shows. 

It's nice to see the behind the scenes, but I would have preferred an actual episode. (And a different ending to last season..) Also..is it just me..or are they setting up Toby to be big bad? 

I mean, I miss this show, this has probably been the longest break without a new episode since season one, we didn't get a special holiday episode that first season either, we had to wait until January for new episodes like now but I don't know how I feel about this upcoming season, seriously Charlotte is "totally fine" now? I'm sorry show, I won't ever get behind that storyline. It was awful. I know, it happened MONTHS ago and I'm still not over it. 

I think I'm excited to see the four main girls. I don't really wanna see anything that has to do with Charlotte, honestly because I think that will just make me mad, I never understood Marlene's logic on that whole thing.

As for "Throwing a bone to the shippers" re Paige and Emily, I'm sure they will be hinting at Paige/Emily and Alison and Emily, even though the last five second scene we saw in part a of this season Alison had a different last name. The poor Emison shippers on Tumblr were LOSING their minds over that. 

So why is Emily coming back the most damaged? Besides her Dad dying. I mean, obviously that sucks, but what's the secret? Emily was always the most annoying to me, so I'm surprised that I care enough to wonder what her secret is.

Ashley looks great.

• Love 1

I mean, I miss this show, this has probably been the longest break without a new episode since season one, we didn't get a special holiday episode that first season either, we had to wait until January for new episodes like now but I don't know how I feel about this upcoming season, seriously Charlotte is "totally fine" now? I'm sorry show, I won't ever get behind that storyline. It was awful. I know, it happened MONTHS ago and I'm still not over it.

I think I'm excited to see the four main girls. I don't really wanna see anything that has to do with Charlotte, honestly because I think that will just make me mad, I never understood Marlene's logic on that whole thing.

As for "Throwing a bone to the shippers" re Paige and Emily, I'm sure they will be hinting at Paige/Emily and Alison and Emily, even though the last five second scene we saw in part a of this season Alison had a different last name. The poor Emison shippers on Tumblr were LOSING their minds over that.

This really bugs me because apparently the scene we saw in the finale is not where we'll be starting off at 6B. So why bait the shippers to something that is obviously not happening?

Alison could be student teaching as part of her credential/certification program (some schools like Iowa State require their undergraduates majoring in education to student teach for a minimum of 14 consecutive weeks).

Isn't Rosewood Day a private school?  Private schools don't require teacher certification, so it's entirely possible that she did an online degree and then went right into the classroom of a private school that is also her alma mater.