Type keyword(s) to search

People in charge (supposedly)

For the life of me I still can't figure out why FoX gave Glee a two year renewal guarantee after Season 4.

I have a hunch it was just to stay in business with Ryan Murphy.  He may have said or even hinted that he would have another show ready by to go by then,and they wanted it. I saw that a lot of Glee's crew has transitioned to Scream Queens.

Then Season Three (Coven) came along and it was a mess. A million characters (it was like everyone who wanted to guest star he gave a role), messy storylines, a million pointless things added when he should have been wrapping things up, things that made no sense or were completely pointless... it pissed me off so much because the theme was witches and it was almost an all female cast, so that should have been my favorite season, but it was the opposite.

I enjoyed it mostly because I thought it was the campiest of the seasons.  Sure, the narrative wasn't the strongest, but Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, and Angela Basset chewing every piece of scenery in sight.  I just didn't take it very seriously.  Plus I just loved the whole Stevie Nicks "gag"/theme.  I really thought that was clever and worked.

But to the larger point, I would say in general each season is probably ready to be over by the 13th or whatever episode.   Even with just that many per season, you still get that sense that Ryan starts throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks by the end.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

I thought Blam was alright in the beginning of season 4, but that's because I thought they were going to actually make the characters into something.

When Sam got dumbed down, I started to hate him a lot.

Then Blam started getting mostly really, really stupid, unbearably stupid plots. And singing way more than I cared to hear them. They didn't balance the heart with the goofiness, and it was all goofiness. It was meaningless.

I think my main disappointment about NYC Glee was they had led me to expect it to me Kurt/Rachel/Santana led. I assumed Blam would come in, and if they were gonna be supporting, I could've dealt with that, but when they were the focus of Movin' Out, I might as well have been back in Lima (also there was that gross Samchel moment THREE FUCKING EPISODES after the Quarterback). So yeah, if there was one moment most people knew it wouldn't get better, it was probably then.

(edited)

Then Blam started getting mostly really, really stupid, unbearably stupid plots. And singing way more than I cared to hear them. They didn't balance the heart with the goofiness, and it was all goofiness. It was meaningless.

This. 

Sam had a sweetness prior to S4 that I liked, and he was a bit  dim but good hearted.  S4 made him both much dumber and a bit of a dick.

The combination of BLAM and BRAM, where Sam fed Brittany cereal on the floor and Tina basically licking Blaine's ass 24/7 just was an epic fail in elevating these supporting characters as "leads".

I suppose tweeners loved it so there's that.

Edited by caracas1914

Tina basically licking Blaine's ass 24/7

Can I ask something about this, because I don't know if its because I'm a Tina stan or if other people saw this. But the way Blaine, and to an extent Sam and Artie treated Tina really bothered me. It felt like they treated her like a pet to be patted on the head and sit in the corner like"good little Tina". But I don't know if that just me?

Can I ask something about this, because I don't know if its because I'm a Tina stan or if other people saw this. But the way Blaine, and to an extent Sam and Artie treated Tina really bothered me. It felt like they treated her like a pet to be patted on the head and sit in the corner like"good little Tina". But I don't know if that just me?

I never really noticed with Artie, but I think there was a lot of time that Blaine and Sam were shitty to Tina. But the main thing that sticks out was when Sam kept talking about her boobs and Tina felt complimented instead of smacking him across the face, as I would've. But that's because the writers just use her as their punching bag. I mean, even in the quarterback, we had a "look at Tina being terrible!" Scene, although I didn't find her terrible. If anything, I left thinking Emma was a shitty school counselor.

• Love 1
(edited)

It wasn't just you.

Blaine's "appropriate, non predatory gay" crush on Sam was contrasted with Tina's WTF inappropriate vapor rub of Blaine.    At first RIB tried to say it was a touching story of an unrequited crush but just gave up and had Sam,Mike, Kurt, and Blaine himself joke about  it making her an object of ridicule.

And it just continued  in early Season 5; Blaine saying he fell asleep when Tina was talking to him about Prom and Sam saying he was taking Tina but wished he was taking someone he was attracted to, etc.   The boys being "heroes" when she was still heading  the bitter old maids club at school and being such awesome boosters of her for her to gush appreciatively..

The jokes on Tina's pathetic state  throughout Season 4/5 I suppose were meant to be "funny"

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

It wasn't just you.

Blaine's "appropriate, non predatory gay" crush on Sam was contrasted with Tina's WTF inappropriate vapor rub of Blaine. At first RIB tried to say it was a touching story of an unrequited crush but just gave up and had Sam,Mike, Kurt, and Blaine himself joke about it making her an object of ridicule.

And it just continued in early Season 5; Blaine saying he fell asleep when Tina was talking to him about Prom and Sam saying he was taking Tina but wished he was taking someone he was attracted to, etc. The boys being "heroes" when she was still heading the bitter old maids club at school and being such awesome boosters of her for her to gush appreciatively..

The jokes on Tina's pathetic state throughout Season 4/5 I suppose were mean to be "funny"

Yes, how hilarious it is to see privileged white guys pick on a woc (am I talking about Blam or the writers? You decide). Actually, no. She was one of your few underdogs left, and the whole point of your show is supposed to be underdogs.

It's part of why Rachel getting all the attention bugs me. When you put her next to Kurt, Mercedes, Tina, and even Artie, she seems less like an underdog and more like unrootable. Same with Blam. There's nothing amusing about the privileged trotting all over the underprivileged. That's just an unfortunate reality that reflects how shitty anyone not a white straight guy is treated.

When did Mike ridicule Tina's crush? Was that during Wonder-ful. I both love and hate that episode. I love Stevie Wonder, Jake and Kitty have solos, but Mercedes is a bitch to Kitty and Kurt's a bitch to Tina.

I remember Sam doing it and wondered why Tina didn't slap him.

I actually wish they'd done in season 4 what they did this season and have off screen friendship written on screen, because I seriously would've loved Jake, Tina and Kitty teaming up to run glee club, and putting Blam in their place!

Yes, how hilarious it is to see privileged white guys pick on a woc (am I talking about Blam or the writers? You decide). Actually, no. She was one of your few underdogs left, and the whole point of your show is supposed to be underdogs.

It's part of why Rachel getting all the attention bugs me. When you put her next to Kurt, Mercedes, Tina, and even Artie, she seems less like an underdog and more like unrootable. Same with Blam. There's nothing amusing about the privileged trotting all over the underprivileged. That's just an unfortunate reality that reflects how shitty anyone not a white straight guy is treated.

The writers, definitely. The people who write this show have absolutely no concept of the privilege white men, especially straight white men have.

• Love 1

That whole fake marriage to Brittany didn't help matters at all.  That's when i started to realize that they apparently did hate (at least segments) of the audience.

• Love 1

From the tumblr  of someone who went to the Glee convention in Paris this weekend, a Q and A with Alexis Woodall, one of the Glee producers...

http://vampireisabitstrong.tumblr.com/page/3

Blaine and Karofsky happened because narrative drama. It was humbling for kurt to experience blaine moving on with someone who had hurt him in lasting and painful ways.
If it shocked/surprised, though? They did their job.

And that in a nutshell, explains how shitty these writers all.  All shock and effect and no follow through. 

• Love 4

Per some Paris Con tweets, Chris and Darren created the elevator game and improvised a lot, and also came up with creating the tension with Karofsky in that scene. 

Since I think this is one of the rare scenes of Kurt-Blaine chemistry this season, it's one more indicator the actors know better how to write the show than the actual writers. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 3

Horrible idea all the way around.  It shouldn't have been humbling.  More "Thank God I dumped him and know now what type of person he turned out to be."  And nobody calling Blaine out on it (exception Sue post-fact) will always be complete BS.

• Love 5

From the tumblr  of someone who went to the Glee convention in Paris this weekend, a Q and A with Alexis Woodall, one of the Glee

It was humbling for kurt to experience blaine moving on with someone who had hurt him in lasting and painful ways."

Wow. Wonder what was it for Blaine? Sweet revenge?

• Love 1

Why would they even think Kurt needed to be humbled? Their thought processes make no sense. It baffles me that the people running this show are paid professional producers and writers. There is more thought put into high school lit essays than this show.

• Love 3

Why would they even think Kurt needed to be humbled? Their thought processes make no sense. It baffles me that the people running this show are paid professional producers and writers. There is more thought put into high school lit essays than this show.

A lot of Blaine fans hate that he was the one "always in the wrong and always having to apologise and Kurt never apologising for anything", so I suppose it was the RIB way of "writing to the fans' wishes for a humbling". Which makes no sense either because it just made Blaine look like a bigger ass, but I'm giving it my best guess. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Yet they ruined by because they never addressed the Karofsky bullying issue and Kurt never really pined past the third episode, so it was a half assed SL that just petered out they couldn't figure out how to resolve so they ignored it.

I guess the humbling was supposed to be Kurt's breakdown in the Scandals washroom and him crying at Rachel's. As always, the follow-through if any is extremely short-range. 

Edited by fakeempress

Maybe RiB met with Colfer before the start of the season and explained the reason Blaine and Karofsky were together and they told Colfer to be sure to show how humbled Kurt was and Colfer said, "Okay!!!1!!"

At least they didn't give in to a certain section of fans and make Kurt date his former bully.

Should have had a  Blaine/Dave and Kurt/Sebastien double date.  

Maybe it was meant to be an echo of Blaine's 'humbling' after he cheated, when he was moping around feeling like he was a terrible person and Sam came along to tell him no, he wasn't so bad. Of course Kurt's great crime wasn't cheating but dumping the apparently wonderful Blaine in the first place so, for me, the two aren't really equivalent but maybe for the Glee writers they are and this was their attempt at a full circle moment.

Yeah, they aren't equivalent. Kurt was being practical. He saw they couldn't live together and were always fighting.

But I think what it all comes down to is...why does Kurt want Blaine back so badly? Stay in New York, hang out with Adam Lambert, realize that he's the better boyfriend/future husband, and it's all happily ever after. Neither of them would've been miserable if they had just moved on. They would've moved on, met other people, and probably lived in more functional relationships.

• Love 6

Wow, there is so much wrong with all of that.

- Just creating drama for drama's sake, but not following up on it at all.

- Kurt needing to be humbled for some weird reason.

- The writers not thinking through what dating his ex's former bully did to Blaine as a character.

- Noone even considering the fandom's negative reaction to Blainofsky.

And in the end it amounted to absolutely nothing, as (except for Kurt's reaction and voice-over at Scandals) they never even talked about it on the show!

• Love 3

For the life of me I still can't figure out why FoX gave Glee a two year renewal guarantee after Season 4.

Well until s4 glee had still a season average of 6 mio viewers and the average demo was somewhere at 2.4. Those numbers aren't good but they are also not that bad. Especially when rating are down across the board and Fox didn't have many other "hits" on their hands.

Had they been able to keep those ratings I don't see why they wouldn't have wanted to go for 2 more years.

I'm sure they thought putting an end to the newbies and telling RIB to move the story to NY full time would do the trick. And I'm sure the pitch they worked out for s5 sounded great on paper:

• Start off with with a 2 hour Beatles tribute
  • Klaine get engaged to get buzz (lol)
  • Demi Lovato and Adam Lambert as guest starts for the NY side
  • new love interests for Santana and Finn
  • NY crew forming a band
  • Rachel getting a role on Broadway
  • And of course finally get rid of Lima and move Finn, Blaine, Sam, Brittany and maybe Artie to NY.

It would have sounded good to me, too. Bummer they either didn't deliver at all or executed it so poorly it fell flat anyway.

I'm sure many fans thought the school year had to end at some point and surely the writers knew how much s4 sucked and would make some changes at that point. But then they tuned in for the season premier, it was mostly Klaine, HS drama and only very little Rachel. Between 501 and 502 the demo went from 2.0 to 1.6.

Then the final nail in the coffin was after 506 which was the episode that gave us a first taste of what the show would look like if they switched to NY full time. Blam front and center with Hummelberry as props and no Santana.

The demo fell from 1.4 to 0.9 and never recovered.

(Not that it matered at that point but after the demo stabalized around 0.9, it fell to 0.6 in the finale after it was reported that Naya was off the show and not in the finale. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I'd like to think that wasn't a coincident.)

• Love 1

Another, and longer, account of what the producer said in Paris (tumblr source):

There is no scheme behind who is in the episode and who is not. They write the episodes based on the pretty crazy schedule of every actor. Example “We wrote Dianna in this episode but she’s not in the States we have to write her off”. That’s why sometimes characters seem to disappear for some episodes.

They chose David Karofsky in s6 because they knew he would have affected Kurt the most and fuel his realization that he was still in love with Blaine. Also, seeing the love of his life with his ex bully would have humbled Kurt and made him realize faster his feelings.

Guest Stars casting: it’s all Ryan Murphy. He thinks “it would be great to have ___ for this role”, makes calls, takes people to lunch and that’s it. “The worst thing they can say to you is no”.

They knew Demi Lovato wanted to be on the show. They paired her with Naya because it was a happy moment for Santana and their voices sound great together

They were all super excited about working with Britney Spears and Olivia Newton-John. Matt Bomer is handsome and “a real Disney prince”.

Probably there will be bloopers, at some point. Maybe in the series boxset. It’s hard because some actors curse a lot when they mess up so they would have blip them a lot 

About a Glee spin-off: Ryan Murphy is a visionary so never say never

About a second Glee tour: never say never (again). They would love to do it in a couple of years if all the cast is available

What she will miss the most about Glee was the cameradie among cast and crew. No other show is like Glee when it comes to this, to be a family 

Edited by fakeempress

Probably there will be bloopers, at some point. Maybe in the series boxset. It’s hard because some actors curse a lot when they mess up so they would have blip them a lot 

Who the [bleep] cares? Slap a warning before it and give the people what they want for once.

It would affect the rating of the DVD set, which would affect sales.  

I'm hoping that the Glee cast will eventually get together for a non-Glee (or non-only-Glee) concert, like the cast of Smash recently did.  Something where they won't be confined to just the songs on Glee, and where they don't have to be in character again.

(OT but, god that is one hard to read Tumblr layout!)

I thought Dianna was only available for that one day of filming I Lived.  I could be wrong about that.

I'm referring to Jagged Little Tapestry more (although we should've at least gotten an update from another character about what she was up to now). Because she was obviously able to film more then, but all she did was help Becky get a boyfriend (like who cares).

And did Mark do...anything at all this season? Aside from wear the uniform all the time and get weird with Blaine's mom?

I'm just really bitter neither of them got any kind of ending this season. Even if it's not glee's fault, for once, it's disappointing.

I'm referring to Jagged Little Tapestry more (although we should've at least gotten an update from another character about what she was up to now). Because she was obviously able to film more then, but all she did was help Becky get a boyfriend (like who cares).

And did Mark do...anything at all this season? Aside from wear the uniform all the time and get weird with Blaine's mom?

I'm just really bitter neither of them got any kind of ending this season. Even if it's not glee's fault, for once, it's disappointing.

So much this.  REALLY, you have Dianna back and she is secondary to BECKY?  News flash, Glee writers:  NO ONE CARES ABOUT BECKY.  Ugh.  So frustrating. On the other hand, with the Glee writers it was often better to have them keep their hands off your favorites, because good lord they made a mess of most of the storylines and characters.  (See Quinn Season 3)

• Love 2

I completely forgot about that episode!  But at least Quinn's last real episode showed that she's matured without completely losing her ice queen edge.  And considering all the crap that she's been through, that's a good ending for her.  

It wasn't just you.

Blaine's "appropriate, non predatory gay" crush on Sam was contrasted with Tina's WTF inappropriate vapor rub of Blaine.    At first RIB tried to say it was a touching story of an unrequited crush but just gave up and had Sam,Mike, Kurt, and Blaine himself joke about  it making her an object of ridicule.

At the bolded, Tina deserved all the ridicule and more. She basically molested Blaine. If a guy character did that to a girl while she was sleeping there would have been hell to pay. I hated that the characters just made a joke of it instead of really hurting her feelings because man did she deserve to be told off. This show was so weird when it came to what it picked and chose to use as PSAs.

• Love 1
(edited)
At the bolded, Tina deserved all the ridicule and more. She basically molested Blaine.

Agreed.

The point is they made Tina the object of scorn and derision.   The BLAM crush was pure and so appropriate, fuck, Blaine even sang a song to Sam in front of ND, who realized (at least Kitty,SAm and Tina did) what he was talking about, and of course nobody ever called him about it and for all we know Kurt was oblivious.

The way they treated the Tina crush on Blaine  in comparison to Blaine's for Sam spoke volumes.  What was stupid was that they had already painted themselves in the corner by having Blaine fuck a random facebook so why go there yet again in the same season...

With Blam, Glee wanted it both ways, with homo erotic double entrendres/overtones  and yet awesome and ideal, pure   "bro-mance".  It's the women who can't handle things.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Oh ok I see. For me, the difference is Blaine was never shown doing anything suspect to Sam (at least that I remember). I didn't think there was anything wrong with either crushes as long as both respected physical boundaries. Blaine did, Tina didn't.

Blaine did, Tina didn't.

Which is exactly what people are criticizing. That once again glee did the same storyline with two different characters and depicted the female character as ridiculous and insane while the male character was nothing but pure and innocent. Tina was a feminist, independant girl in s1-3 and suddenly turned into a creature of neediness and ridicule. Meanwhile Blaine, the guy who actually had had boundary issues before, suddenly knew how to behave.

Yes, on a storyline level Tina deserved flag for being innapropriate with Blaine. No, on a meta level, Tina as a character did not deserve to be treated like that by the writers.

It might have been okay had that not been the 10000th time glee did that.

• Marley, the girl with a diagnosed eating disorder is uncomfortable wearing skimpy glee costumes and she gets suspended. Artie, the sometimes slightly sexist guy doesn't want to pose for the glee calender and he is praised for his bravery of speaking up and defending his comfort zone.
  • Santana, the lesbian WOC is outed to the whole state resulting in her being harassed in the hallway and loosing a family member and Finn is praised for outing her. Karofsky a white, football playing gay guy is outed and it is treated as the serious issue it can be.
  • Puck and Brittany are both failing HS. Puck gets a storyline about all his friends rallying around him until he succeeds. Brittany gets a throwaway joke in the last episode about how she's not graduating.
  • Mr. Shue finds out Rachel has a crush on him and gently lets her down like the good guy he is. Shelby has an affair with Puck, the HS kid who's kid she adopted.

I could keep going but that would take forever. Baseline is: Glee loved to shit all over its female characters in situations where male characters were treated with much more respect.

• Love 14

Also in season 4/5 Blaine is shown to cheat on his boyfriend, he's then shown to be emotionally devastated about about works all season to win him back, while crushing on his straight best friend, which is never suppose to get inappropriate, because Blaine's such a frickin hero. This culminates in a huge public proposal and engagement.

At the same time you have Tina be shown to be inappropriate and humiliated by her crush on Blaine. Also you have Jake cheating on Marley and getting his sorry ass dumped, and he get ripped a new one by his best friend and the girl he cheated on.

I don't want to say one rule for white people and another for people of colour, but that's the way they wrote things.

Plus everything knaxx says about how Glee wrote women.

Which is exactly what people are criticizing. That once again glee did the same storyline with two different characters and depicted the female character as ridiculous and insane while the male character was nothing but pure and innocent. Tina was a feminist, independant girl in s1-3 and suddenly turned into a creature of neediness and ridicule. Meanwhile Blaine, the guy who actually had had boundary issues before, suddenly knew how to behave.

Yes, on a storyline level Tina deserved flag for being innapropriate with Blaine. No, on a meta level, Tina as a character did not deserve to be treated like that by the writers.

It might have been okay had that not been the 10000th time glee did that.

• Marley, the girl with a diagnosed eating disorder is uncomfortable wearing skimpy glee costumes and she gets suspended. Artie, the sometimes slightly sexist guy doesn't want to pose for the glee calender and he is praised for his bravery of speaking up and defending his comfort zone.
  • Santana, the lesbian WOC is outed to the whole state resulting in her being harassed in the hallway and loosing a family member and Finn is praised for outing her. Karofsky a white, football playing gay guy is outed and it is treated as the serious issue it can be.
  • Puck and Brittany are both failing HS. Puck gets a storyline about all his friends rallying around him until he succeeds. Brittany gets a throwaway joke in the last episode about how she's not graduating.
  • Mr. Shue finds out Rachel has a crush on him and gently lets her down like the good guy he is. Shelby has an affair with Puck, the HS kid who's kid she adopted.

I could keep going but that would take forever. Baseline is: Glee loved to shit all over its female characters in situations where male characters were treated with much more respect.

Oh I definitely agree that Glee sucked at writing the women. Rachel in particular. I like to joke that Amber is the best female writer of Glee, because the Mercedes virginity storyline that she helped with was better than pretty much almost anything these hacks came up with. See the Rachel losing her virginity to Finn storyline for comparison on exactly how to NOT handle that subject.

I just wanted to point out the writers could be shitty writing for the guys as well. If they were taken advantage of physically, it was treated as a joke (see Blaine and Ryder), and pretty much everything about the characters of Finn and Blaine was handled badly IMO.

Edited by Danielle87
  • Love 1

I just wanted to point out the writers could be shitty writing for the guys as well. If they were taken advantage of physically, it was treated as a joke (see Blaine and Ryder), and pretty much everything about the characters of Finn and Blaine was handled badly IMO.

Ryder's sexual assault was handled badly, but it wasn't handled like a joke. Also Ryder says the women who assaulted him is in jail for doing it to someone else. When Kitty tells him she was sexually assaulted, the guy got away with it and she had to change school. She's the one getting punished.

The Blaine thing wasn't treated as a joke, Blaine wasn't made to feel he did anything wrong. Tina is the one who gets humiliated.

The show did treat sexual assault as a joke, Brittany implies her first time was rape in The First Time, which is apparently megalols for the glee writers.

Edited by jaytee1812

The show did treat sexual assault as a joke, Brittany implies her first time was rape in The First Time, which is apparently megalols for the glee writers.

While we're at it, I still feel super uncomfortable about Beth's conception. I know mileage varies a lot when it comes to that Quick flashback but for me the line betwen consent and coercion was crossed. Quinn hesitated and Puck's response was to try and get her more drunk.

Obvioulsy we don't know how drunk Quinn was, if she ever had another wine cooler, how that make out started in the first place and whether Quinn used being drunk as a reason for sleeping with Puck because she needed to justify it in front of herself or if she really was drunk. I can understand people arguing that we cannot draw definite conclusions from that scene.

And I like Puck. I think he had one of the most organic character developments in the show and I don't believe post s3 Puck would do any of the stupid things he did in HS.

But it remains that the way Puck acted was far, far from okay and the fact that that scene was never adressed, commented on and left as if it was 100% okay still bugs the hell out of me.

ETA:

I also remember how Artie and Brittany had consentual sex and then Brittany got still shamed for "using Artie".

And let's not forget the lovely scene where Kurt had to yell "Stop" and "You're hurting me" around 5 times and the literally push Blaine off of him and he still was the one to apologize later.

In the course of glee girls got shamed for having sex, for not having sex, for not being upfront about having sex but guys could literally cross the line of consent without a single comment about it.

Edited by knaxx
  • Love 4

I agree with you knaxx on Beth's conception, we were left with the impression Quinn could be drunk and the consent dubious. 

The writers attitude to sex overall was disturbing. One of the reasons I like the Quinntana one night stand is they have fun, they have sex, and there are no negative consequences. Tike were the only other couple who really seemed to enjoy sex. 

• Love 1

The scissoring jokes are definitely stupid. The first one in Duets was funny because it was out of nowhere. But, like everything else on this show, they love beating a dead horse.

• Love 2

The scissoring jokes are definitely stupid. The first one in Duets was funny because it was out of nowhere. But, like everything else on this show, they love beating a dead horse.

That and has any actual lesbian anywhere ever uttered the phrase "sweet lady kisses"?