Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Sleep No More

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Thanks for the link. I'm really excited about ep 11 now. (the spoiler links were in blue on the bottom for me) lol Might have to skip the Christmas special though. Wish I'd skipped this ep.

I read that article and hadn't even realized this episode ended on a loss. Wow, I really, REALLY wasn't paying attention. Yikes! I can, however, confirm that I was NOT shocked when the credits rolled. Well, maybe shocked that I sat through the whole thing. but haha, if they were trying to make me fear sleeping the way Blink made me fear statues, or Psycho made me fear showers, well, epic fail!

Not sure what site you are talking about? From the link from Rhetorica, there is just the info about a possible part two to this episode.    

If you scroll down to the bottom of the article there are "read more" articles listed (in blue, not red).  There is one for the Christmas special that is could be considered spoiler-ish.

I saw the episode at Long Island Who on Saturday. Wound up rewatching it on DVR today. I don't think this was an episode made for the big screen. Not the worst episode, but it wasn't something you'd hoot and holler for. Or maybe I'm allergic to space stations and siege stories.

I did like the sandmen . . . they looked like Swamp Thing or Man-Thing without faces. I'd like to know what Sandman writer Neil Gaiman thinks of this episode, since dreams and sleep were under his purview.

Jeez, that sucked. Just bad in every way. A 10-minute skit stretched to 42 minutes with a lot of noise and jumpy cameras. And that good ol' Dr. Who standby, corridors. Lots and lots of corridors.

Nonsensical, annoying rather than scary, and unless the Boogerman was an ironic homage to Grade Z moviemaker Larry Buchanan's Eye Creatures, a pathetically stupid monster.

I swear I like Capaldi the actor, but I loathe his Dr. Who. There's no charm to him at all, he's just frantic, mumbly and mean. And tiresome. I never wanted to yell, "Will you shut the hell up for one goddamn minute!" at a Dr. Who before.

And the character of Clara continues to be a big cipher. One dimensional, flat as a pancake, no personality at all except whatever fits the plot needs of the moment. That's a shadow, not a companion.

New Who has given us 3 amazing doctors; but I'm really starting to think the shark has been jumped.

• Love 5

Not only am I underwhelmed by Capaldi's Doctor, I am impatient for the departure of Clara.  She is just annoying.  The writing for her has gotten worse with Capaldi's Doctor.  The Doctor is supposed to be the smartest guy in the room, but Clara is constantly second guessing him and contradicting him and interrupting. For quite some time now, it has seemed like instead of being the Doctor's companion, the Doctor is Clara's companion.  It is time for a new showrunner.

• Love 5

Well I mostly liked it. Yes, the plot runs on Nonsensium but it kept me watching. And Yes, the plot was a rip off of Aliens - with the added bonus that any errors in what they showed could be deliberate, because it was a reconstruction by an alien being. While I won't comment on stuff other people have mentioned, I did like the little touch of having our doomed crewmen saying "By the Gods" (given they're implied to be descended from Indians who would likely be Hindu) instead of "Oh my God" (or more likely "WTF!" but we are pre Watershed). But it did kind of go nowhere in the end, so... I don't know. Certainly not as memorable as Blink, but it had me rubbing my eyes and didn't send me to sleep.

benteen the thing I found most unsettling was actually the idea of Morpheus itself

Absolutely. I really liked the fact that in this future we haven't "moved past scarcity" but corporations still exist and are still basically faceless entities that do their best to work their employees as hard as possible. Not evil, necessarily, just... uncaring. And I loved the "terms & conditions apply" bit they included.

Anisky  I was like, "If he sings the song, will he get cake?"

The cake is a lie!

Edited by John Potts

Like others above, I found this episode quite boring. In fact, I didn't even finish it. I just turned it off and read a recap of it. It sounds like maybe it got a little more interesting at the end, but still. I've come around to Capaldi as the Doctor. I like his acting this season. (Not so much in the last season.) But I just don't think the stories they're giving us live up to the quality of stories during Matt Smith's run. (And I don't say that because Smith's my favorite Doctor--I actually prefer Tennant. I just think the Smith had really good storylines.)

• Love 1

WTF???  Color me confused. I'm not even going to try to figure that mess out. I just want the "cats take over the earth and have to orbit if forever" storylines. Or the Girl in the Fireplace. Or any story that does not involve weird thinghys becoming monsters. 

I caught the first half day after it aired and didnt watch rest til last night, guess that sums up my thoughts on it which appear similar to most folks here. One thing that really annoyed me which hasnt been pointed out was when the lead soldier (Asian woman) finally shot the bad guy as he was basically attempting to destroy all of humanity or whatever nonsense he was up to...and both the Doctor and Clara scolded her! WTF was she supposed to do right at that moment? Pull out her sonic lipstick maybe and turn off the computer? For all the death and destruction and occasional genocide the Doctor as caused, it really is annoying how the writers insist on scolding anyone else for violence. So arbitrary too, I mean just in the last episode the Doctor not only forgives the baddie who had ruthlessly murdered who knows how many hundreds of people, but he in fact BEFRIENDS her as if they are old chums and entrusts her to protect all of humanity. This woman shoots someone who is actively trying to destroy them and all other humans...and she doesnt meet the standards of the Doctor and Clara. Ridiculous.

• Love 4

"This doesn't make sense." Hey, you're tellin' me. We had this space-rescue squad with a bunch of guns but I don't remember them using those guns until the end of the episode. Once I saw one of those gunk monsters fall to pieces when injured I'd have gone around with guns blazing.

They probably could have just clubbed the monsters with those huge guns and they would have disintegrated.  They're made of sand, after all.  Yeah, they might reassemble, if they're that good at being sand monsters, but it would give you a chance to get away while they're doing it.

The level of stupid this season has reached unheard-of levels for this show.  There are McCoy stories that make more sense than a lot of these.