Type keyword(s) to search

Hear them sing! Songs and voices on Glee

I think the only character that have a duet with all the main characters is Rachel. 

I thought Brittana had but couldn't think of any. The closest I could think of was Landslide.

I believe they had one in the Whitney Houston tribute episode and I consider Landslide to be a duet since they sang it together.

I think Brittana have at least two, and Samcedes had one. 

Brittana had 2 duets in the 4 years of them as an established romantic pairing, and both those came in S5 and S6. Which is significantly less than any of the other major ships. For whatever reason, RIB just didn't like giving Brittana duets. Or storylines, but I digress.

Maybe Naya and Kevin will record something together for fun one day in the future since they're good friends. I think their voices would match together really well.

Brittana had 2 duets in the 4 years of them as an established romantic pairing, and both those came in S5 and S6. Which is significantly less than any of the other major ships. For whatever reason, RIB just didn't like giving Brittana duets. Or storylines, but I digress.

Which is surprising since according to some the writers show which couple they intend to end-game by giving them several duets. 

Which is surprising since according to some the writers show which couple they intend to end-game by giving them several duets. 

I don't actually think Brittana were originally going to be endgame.

If it were up to me, Brittana would have no duets, but that's because I would never let Heather sing.

I really would have liked to hear some of the combinations here, especially Kevin/Naya. Was the subway song of Season 5 the only time Artie and Rachel were paired? What a waste.

• Love 1

I don't actually think Brittana were originally going to be endgame.

I don't know, because the writers didn't seem to be in hurry or really care to write another credible love interest for Santana and because of the type of story Santana had, they couldn't send Santana off with no one, without a backlash. Also, Santana became a main character, mostly because of her relationship with Brittany. The fans saw glimpses of that relationship and wanted more. So I can't imagine the writers even thinking about not end-gaming them since Brittany and Santana became main characters because of their relationship and mostly built their stories around it. 

With that said, the only couple I 100% believe were always end-game are Finchel, Klaine and Will/Emma. 

They  seem to be winding down  the recording session.   Chris just tweeted about his last song.  Amber did the other day.   Darren tweeted about being in the recording studio but they alluded he may have more.  I think they will be done in the next 2/3 days.

Edited by tom87

I suspect they may have one more group number to record, but its beeing kept under wraps.

Yes, I think so too. Also, they may be keeping the door open for some last minute additions, depending on various people's schedules. It will be interesting to see how much is kept a secret. Maybe I should start avoiding the spoiler thread since I do want to be surprised by the end.

I woud think they would be finished by next Friday, Feb. 20. They had one day of 6.12 left to film this week and the rest was all 6.13. If an episode takes 8 workdays to complete I can't see going beyond next Friday or perhaps Saturday.

Edited by caracas1914

Prayer circle that they don't revise Don't Stop Believing for the umpteenth time during the finale.

I would think that's a given.

Unlike most people I like that. I like that they redid it, except season 4, that was awful. Mind you I hate the pilot version too.

• Love 1

The "Unpretty/I feel pretty" duet by Rachel/Quinn is one of the loveliest numbers Glee ever did, surprisingly so.

"Unpretty" was great because of Anders' genius arrangement. There should be nothing surprising about the fact that Lea, toned down to accommodate [fill in the blank], could do this five times a day. It's only a shame it didn't happen more often.

Unless they do an acoustic version [of DSB], how could they make it different?

Lea could sing it as a quiet ballad a cappella, or (gods forgive me) with Sam on guitar. Edited by Higgs

So I've bought quite a few songs from this season, not as many as usual, but still a fair few. But on top of that I usually get the performances on video one way or another. But I haven't done that once this season. Is it just me being a grouch or is the staging not as good this season? Even the invitational was just walking about the stage, or not even that. The closest I've come to downloading a performance was The Warblers doing My Sharona.

So, I dropped in to say that I love Roderick and his singing. I wasn't expecting to like any of the new newbies, but I do like all of them (even if they are a little generic, like the old newbies before them, except-ish Unique). But I do enjoy Roderick, find his voice interesting and lovely to listen to. I feel like I finally understand why people like Cory and Naya's singing - he doesn't have a pure tone, it's rough. But sexy. 

re: singing wishes

I think that will never happen, but I'd love to have Will and Jesse sing

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 1

I think the guy that plays Roderick has the worst voice I've ever heard on Glee. I'd rather hear a Sue/Brittany/Sugar trio, at least they know they're bad.

He can hit notes but has no emotional content whatsoever, it's just plain. He was okay on All About That Bass because it has no emotional content.

Also his voice is completely sexless, and that matters when you're singing songs like Mustang Sally and Father Figure. I mean there's a reason, as George Michael says, that he may never have had children but is responsible for a lot of conceptions.

It bugs the shits out of me such a bad singer has gotten two of the best songs the show has ever used.

I'll say this and run away. I went to the Glee tour. Chris was awful and mostly spent his time shaking hands with cute kids. Darren was also awful. I spent most of his time near me praying the gel mix would not drip on me. I escaped unscathed, but it was a close call. Neither of them showed any sort of skill worth writing home about. 

If I had to pick one from the tour it would be Amber. 

Amber is a fantastic live singer. I've never seen the tour or her solo shows really, but judging from UT videos, she's amazing. I'm not sure how often the rest (Lea maybe excluded for her solos) lip synched on the tour. I can believe that the best recordings on UT are from performances when they did. 

Regarding Noah's voice, I like it. I don't think though that the songs he's done on Glee so far are best fit for him. I haven't checked out his own music (if there is such) on UT but I'll say he can be a good alt-folk type performer. Depends what sound he wants to go for after Glee. 

Edited by fakeempress

Roderick is far from the worst singer on Glee, but to me he doesn't seem to "perform" well.  He doesn't seem to have much stage presence at all, and I find his voice lacks any kind of grit or gravitas.  It's like this boom box coming out of him but it just doesn't seem to come out of a personality.  Hard to explain.

Someone like, say,  Mark Salling, with a "weaker voice" comes across better as a performer.

• Love 1

I'll say this and run away. I went to the Glee tour. Chris was awful and mostly spent his time shaking hands with cute kids. Darren was also awful. I spent most of his time near me praying the gel mix would not drip on me. I escaped unscathed, but it was a close call. Neither of them showed any sort of skill worth writing home about. 

If I had to pick one from the tour it would be Amber. 

I just looked up "I want to hold your hand" live. There's some rough bits, and some nice bits. I've heard Darren live and I feel similarly. 

Amber is amazing live, based on this random video I found of her. Also, Amber and Naya are both awesome doing River Deep Mountain High live.

• Love 2

I think the guy that plays Roderick has the worst voice I've ever heard on Glee. I'd rather hear a Sue/Brittany/Sugar trio, at least they know they're bad.

He can hit notes but has no emotional content whatsoever, it's just plain. He was okay on All About That Bass because it has no emotional content.

I don't hate Roderick's voice half as much as you do, but I completely agree about his lack of emotional content.  His singing has this really unfortunate automaton quality in that he hits all the right notes without conveying any emotion whatsoever.  I still love AATB, although I contribute that mostly to Amber. Throughout the show, she's been a fantastic duet partner.  She always seems to elevate her singing partners.

• Love 3

I don't hate Roderick's voice half as much as you do, but I completely agree about his lack of emotional content. His singing has this really unfortunate automaton quality in that he hits all the right notes without conveying any emotion whatsoever. I still love AATB, although I contribute that mostly to Amber. Throughout the show, she's been a fantastic duet partner. She always seems to elevate her singing partners.

I think it just annoys me he's had so many great songs and he replaced singers who were so much better.

Edited by jtrattray

Also his voice is completely sexless, and that matters when you're singing songs like Mustang Sally and Father Figure. I mean there's a reason, as George Michael says, that he may never have had children but is responsible for a lot of conceptions.

Yeah, at the risk of committing blasphemy, I am very unlikely to have the same taste as someone who finds George Michael's voice sexy, so I guess this makes sense.

He doesn't seem to have much stage presence at all, and I find his voice lacks any kind of grit or gravitas.  

I think that the lack of stage presence might be part of his character actually, and I do like the rough sound of his voice. I've also lived through Katherine McPhee on Smash and most of the Glee singers are on a sliding scale* for me anyway when it comes to putting the feeling in your singing, so to speak, so he doesn't really blip on my radar that way. 

*Some decent examples of good phrasing: 

(and I can't even post the best ones because they aren't subtitled)

Edited by romantic idiot

Yeah, at the risk of committing blasphemy, I am very unlikely to have the same taste as someone who finds George Michael's voice sexy, so I guess this makes sense.

It's your opinion, unfortunately it appears those in charge agree.

Mind you, I think those in charge of music at Glee would know decent soul music if it jumped up and bit them on the arse.  

I actually like Roderick's voice, though I agree he does lack emotion for some of the songs they gave him. But at least his voice is pleasant enough to listen to without having to cringe half the time.

The twin's voices are nice too imo, and we really should hear more of Jane. I agree Spencer is bad.

Btw, I wasn't referring to the newbies in my previous post.

The last 3 seasons have been full of "Wtf?! Why did they let him/her sing that song when *insert name* would have been so much better" moments.

• Love 3

Btw, I wasn't referring to the newbies in my previous post.

The last 3 seasons have been full of "Wtf?! Why did they let him/her sing that song when *insert name* would have been so much better" moments.

I'd say all six seasons have been full of those.

As you posted that I'm watching/listening to Darren sing Wanna Be Starting Something

• Love 2

Just listened to Hey Ya. As usual, I think Kevin does a credible job.   My problem with his singing R&B songs (besides the nasal quality of his voice) has always been that, because he's not an R&B singer, he never brings anything new or different to the song.  He just parrots someone else's style.  It's typical karaoke.

Thank you for pinpointing my problem with Kevin's voice. Most of the time I think he's fine but occasionally, like on Hey Ya it's not good. 

For all the R&B songs glee have done have they ever had a proper R&B singer? 

The songs are out for 6x08:

http://kevinmchalenews.com/post/111245728082/at-last-glee-cast-version = it's beautiful, I love it. 

http://daxterdd.tumblr.com/post/111245661056/our-day-will-come-glee-cast-version  = I don't know what they were going for here but whatever it was, they fail. I don't like it.

http://naya-rivera.com/post/111246889040/im-so-excited-glee-cast = It's good for the type of song it is. I love Amber and Naya on it. 

• Love 2

Wow... they really cranked the autotune to the max on Darren's segment on Our Day Will Come. And no solo lines for Chris? Of course... this is Glee...

Have to say that the music this season has been... let's just say underwhelming.

• Love 3

I didn't think Our Day Will Come was horrible and I totally get what they're doing with this song. Darren does sound a bit odd but no odder than some other songs I have heard him on. I think this song is far better suited for Chris and his range and I think he sounds great on what little of he song I can hear him on.

This season's music has been all over the place with, I think, maybe I or 2 current songs having been performed. You would think that for such a big episode such as this, there would be some epic songs but alas, not so much.

And although I am not the biggest fan of Chris' voice, it is odd that he hasn't had one solo song.

I can't begin to understand calling At Last horrible. Really. It doesn't have to sound like Etta James.

No but it does have to sound like a grown up.

Etta James hated Beyoncé's version, probably just as well she'll never hear this.

This season's music has been all over the place with, I think, maybe I or 2 current songs having been performed. You would think that for such a big episode such as this, there would be some epic songs but alas, not so much.

So much of the music this season feels like the singer and song have been drawn from a hat. And I think the choreographer has given up and gone home!

• Love 1