Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

@DakotaJustice Oh. My. God. That is absolutely unbelievable. And completely unforgivable since this is supposed to be a business. What the hell? They obviously don't care if they look professional or not. And they clearly know nothing about how to phrase things to create a call to action, either. "With Janelle and her coaches.." Ummm, yeah. That doesn't exactly incite anyone to sign up; there's no excitement or FOMO there. If I were there in person and read that for the first time - not knowing anything else about this venture - all that those three bullet points would do is make me think "Hmmm. I thought about it (in the 7 seconds it took me to read the sign) and I think I'll pass. Being completely dependent upon Janelle and her coaches to do things doesn't really interest me."

And for that matter, why are there only three bullet points? Could they really not come up with more to say about the program than that? Extol some benefits! Tap into my desire to get fit! At least tap into my desire to be able to say something other than "Round is a shape" when someone says, "You should get in shape." Also, "Accountability!" is not really a selling point - at least, not in those words. People aren't running around wishing for someone to hold them accountable; rather, they're wishing for someone to do it with. All I'm going to get for "accountability" from online strangers is a damned guilt trip. I'd rather have someone positively encouraging me to do it because they're doing it with me and they depend on me to do it just like I depend on them. (I suppose I'm now getting into the territory of "Why Janelle's online weight loss snake oil will fail.")

I think they should have had much bigger panels about the "experts" and they should be hung from that back panel. They certainly shouldn't be hung from the table like they're an afterthought. Get a larger picture of the trainers so I can see what they look like. And with a bigger panel for each of them, you could put some text on there that discusses their qualifications and specialty (if any). Of course, if they don't have qualifications, then having bigger panels for them wouldn't really be a net benefit, either.

And what is the deal with that wheel? Do I get to spin it and win something? Or is it just a "wheel of fatness"? I think it might be talking about the benefits of her program; I can't be sure because I can't read it. (I don't think any general picture of her booth would accommodate that, either.) If it does, I can see where she thinks this is a good idea. However, it's really not. I want to be able to learn about the program quickly and from a little bit of a distance (these things are usually quite crowded, based on my experience at state fairs). Having to learn about it by using that wheel means that I have to completely dominate the wheel until I'm satisfied with the information I've collected, which in turn means that everyone else has to read the stuff I'm reading at the pace I'm reading it. That wheel is very poorly thought out.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

And what is the deal with that wheel? Do I get to spin it and win something? Or is it just a "wheel of fatness"? 

Wheel of Fatness... Hahaaaaaa 

That semicolon in the second bullet point set me off too!!!

• Love 7

It was a poor set up. If you anticipate people, wouldn't you put those coach posters higher? They wouldn't be seen by anyone. I can't enlarge it to see the bullets, oh well.

Logan and Michelle were there. No Charlie's Angels poses at this one.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

DID ANYONE ELSE ZOOM IN ON THE SIGN?!? 

It's as if Janelle or whoever intentionally tried to make as many grammatical errors as she possibly could. 

All those old "Schoolhouse Rock" songs are going through my brain right now. 

@MrSmith you must look and comment here once you stop laughing. 

All I know is you can get "community", "accountability" and "resources" for fucking FREE via a blog or support group. 

• Love 6

@Kohola3 Thanks. Other people have replied to her post now and one of them said "Look at you! You are a natural in business." LOL. I wanted to reply to that tweet, but there are too many problems with that booth for 140 characters, which would mean I'd have to use about 10 tweets to really educate them as to why Janelle is definitely not a "natural" when it comes to business (more if I really started getting into the whole "10 meals in 10 days" challenge and other stuff not directly related to the booth).

• Love 3

LMAO! Well, that didn't take long....

You are blocked from following @JanelleBrown117 and viewing @JanelleBrown117's Tweets.

Edited to add: It's amazing how thin-skinned these people are. That booth has serious problems and they absolutely refuse to even hear any criticism. I wasn't even impolite about it. Of course, based on CJ's write-up, it seems like the biggest problem that booth has is Janelle herself. I can't imagine not getting up off my ass and talking to someone who's clearly taking an interest in your booth and, presumably, your business, which is the explicit reason you're subjecting yourself to being at an Expo Center in a city in which you don't live for 10 or 12 hours on each of multiple days. Complete and utter fuckwits.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 11
37 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Edited to add: It's amazing how thin-skinned these people are. That booth has serious problems and they absolutely refuse to even hear any criticism. I wasn't even impolite about it. Of course, based on CJ's write-up, it seems like the biggest problem that booth has is Janelle herself. I can't imagine not getting up off my ass and talking to someone who's clearly taking an interest in your booth and, presumably, your business, which is the explicit reason you're subjecting yourself to being at an Expo Center in a city in which you don't live for 10 or 12 hours on each of multiple days. Complete and utter fuckwits.

Mr. AZC used to have to "man" their insurance company's trade booth at exhibitions like this.  Number One Rule:  Those who are manning the booth NEVER sit down.  His company wouldn't even provide chairs.  

And I once helped re-design their company's booth.  Janelle's booth broke every rule, as you pointed out above, MRSMITH.  But you can't fix stupid, so I guess we should quit trying to "help" the Browns.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

You may be blocked but she must not know how to delete your tweet!

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/855816990098808832?p=v

• Love 8

The Browns never learn.  Janelle is so not the person to be the face of STRIVE.  If she wants to work in the backround, fine.  I guess.  

This whole STRIVE thing is so ill-conceived.  Why would you rent booth space (which is not cheap) and just sit there like a lump?  Didn't you come to sell something besides $10 pedometers? It's the same thing that happened with the "investors".  They asked Janelle questions and she referred them back to the brochure.  Want to know what STRIVE is?  Check the brochure.  Buy or not.  Whatever.  Just. So. Stupid. 

CJ didn't say anything about the wheel of fatness.  I wonder what that is about.  

• Love 6

The LEAST Janelle could have done was say, to every person who took a glance at her table, was "Thank you for taking an interest in Strive!" And do it from a standing position. This is so typical of Brown Family Businesses. Put it out there and expect the masses to throw money at them, without them having to lift a finger or speak a word. Hell, she brought along her family to do all the work for her!

I wonder how many people actually signed up for a membership.

• Love 5

Ok so I took a closer look at the Wheel of Fatness (I still laugh every time I type that) and it's basically spin the wheel and win some item - such as a pedometer, a crappy outdated sports watch, a shirt, etc. The only thing you CANT win is a free trial membership to the paid site. Which tells me it's crap. 

• Love 5

Community is defined as a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common. The STRIVE team and I often talk about what this means for the STRIVE members community as we recognize our wellness journeys.

Janelle's wellness journey.  I'm not exactly sure what that means, but good one, Janelle.  Wellness journey.  Too funny.

1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

Ok so I took a closer look at the Wheel of Fatness (I still laugh every time I type that) and it's basically spin the wheel and win some item - such as a pedometer, a crappy outdated sports watch, a shirt, etc. The only thing you CANT win is a free trial membership to the paid site. Which tells me it's crap. 

Meri missed her chance to get rid of some of her LLR duds.  Spin the wheel of fatness and win vagina dog leggings.  Holes included.

• Love 12

I have to give Janelle a little credit on her website, though. Whoever she had create it at least knew enough to put alt text for images. I figured they'd have skipped that, which would have made the Community page particularly funny/confusing for a blind person because they wouldn't have gotten "What is a community?" like everyone else; instead, their page would have started with "Discovering its many sides". Sadly, whoever wrote that page up put "Discovering its many sides" in all capital letters. So, a screen reader is going to yell that at blind people (probably not literally, but it will say it louder and preface it with some verbiage that notes the extra emphasis).

Edited to add: That page still has a lot of problems. Ugh. I would hate to be blind or sight-impaired and rely on a screen reader. This sentence is just horrible:

My family is one community, but so are my friends, and, of course all of the members of STRIVE with Janelle

It really should be written this way:

My family is one community; so are my friends and, of course, all of the members of STRIVE with Janelle.

So, whatever credit I gave her for her site just now, I take back 95% of it after looking more closely at that page.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I don't like to fat shame but this is EXACTLY WHY JANELLE WILL NEVER, EVER MEET ANY GOAL IN HER LIFE. 

Passive aggressive wuss. 

And I know she's reading here. 

Just make yourself another skillet of white rice and freezer burnt peas and put your head back in the sand Janelle...

You and Meri deserve each other.

• Love 8

@CofCinci I'm not sure they're wrapped up in Brown schemes, necessarily. They were there to help and support Janelle. I wouldn't give up hope, yet. I mean, maybe one reason Janelle has never been able to lose the weight and keep it off is because she hasn't had [enough] positive support at home. And having that makes all the difference, really. My wife and her oldest sister are practically a case study in that. Her sister has never gotten any support from her husband and children; she opted to get gastic bypass and lost a bunch of weight, and now she's slowly putting it all back on. Whereas I encouraged my wife, supported her, and did all the same things she was doing. My wife lost 200 pounds and has kept it off for a decade and counting. (I've regained some of the weight I lost, but my wife's cooking is absolutely my kryptonite. She's now helping me to keep my portions appropriate sized. :D )

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

@CofCinci I'm not sure they're wrapped up in Brown schemes, necessarily. They were there to help and support Janelle. I wouldn't give up hope, yet. I mean, maybe one reason Janelle has never been able to lose the weight and keep it off is because she hasn't had [enough] positive support at home. And having that makes all the difference, really. My wife and her oldest sister are practically a case study in that. Her sister has never gotten any support from her husband and children; she opted to get gastic bypass and lost a bunch of weight, and now she's slowly putting it all back on. Whereas I encouraged my wife, supported her, and did all the same things she was doing. My wife lost 200 pounds and has kept it off for a decade and counting. (I've regained some of the weight I lost, but my wife's cooking is absolutely my kryptonite. She's now helping me to keep my portions appropriate sized. :D )

I agree maybe she doesn't have a lot of positive support and it's got to be hard when others eat prohibited foods around her. Plus, as others have mentioned, I don't think she knows much about cookery. It doesn't look like many of her homemade meals were very healthy and the ones that had potential just looked bad. 

I wish her the best--I wish anyone on a journey to better health the best but she shouldn't expect the rest of us to latch on and fund her journey. That's what irks me. 

• Love 6

If Maddie were there supporting Janelle then I'd have more hope.  But it seems, from what we've seen, that she's only there to sort endless boxes of LLR crap.  And live off of the TLC money.  I expect the Baby Gift Registry to be posted any day so that the adoring fans can outfit the nursery.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, TurtlePower said:

I wish her the best--I wish anyone on a journey to better health the best but she shouldn't expect the rest of us to latch on and fund her journey. That's what irks me. 

Agreed. I wish she would rely more heavily on her trainers and experts because I would think they should be able to help her jump-start her home cooking and really move quickly down the path of eating healthy, balanced meals that prevent or reduce cravings (for things like chocolate) and that support her efforts and progress in the gym. (This is assuming Janelle goes to the gym. I sincerely hope she does and I'm further hoping she's doing strength training rather than just cardio.) I know it doesn't feel good (from a health and activity perspective alone) to be as big as she has been in the past. Nobody really likes looking or feeling like that, especially when you couple it with the fat-shaming that's so prevalent in our society right now.

• Love 1

What I don't get is why her trainers are not being more aggressive with her;  surely their reputation is at stake as well.  If she acts like a slug at expo time, they don't make any money, either.  Or are they all so stupid that they thought her incredible star power would draw in millions to their screwy business?  I can't see them hanging around much longer if there are no paying customers.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Agreed. I wish she would rely more heavily on her trainers and experts because I would think they should be able to help her jump-start her home cooking and really move quickly down the path of eating healthy, balanced meals that prevent or reduce cravings (for things like chocolate) and that support her efforts and progress in the gym. (This is assuming Janelle goes to the gym. I sincerely hope she does and I'm further hoping she's doing strength training rather than just cardio.) I know it doesn't feel good (from a health and activity perspective alone) to be as big as she has been in the past. Nobody really likes looking or feeling like that, especially when you couple it with the fat-shaming that's so prevalent in our society right now.

Pretty sure that if the Browns didn't have a tv show, she wouldn't have started this business. Having a show must make them feel more important and influential than they are somehow, and to their followers, they may well be, but not to the rest of the population. Just like their jool'ry line--I'm sure fans bought stuff but that doesn't keep a business afloat (they must think the have the same amount of fans as an NFL team).

As far as cookery, there are lots of resources out there and videos. Maybe she should reach out to Gordon Ramsay, he's got a few places in town ;). 

Just now, Kohola3 said:

What I don't get is why her trainers are not being more aggressive with her;  surely their reputation is at stake as well.  If she acts like a slug at expo time, they don't make any money, either.  Or are they all so stupid that they thought her incredible star power would draw in millions to their screwy business?  I can't see them hanging around much longer if there are no paying customers.

She needs Whitney's trainer Will from MBFFL. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Thank you, @Kohola3! I knew there was something else I wanted to say about this whole expo fiasco and I couldn't remember what it was! And you've basically said it. I was telling my wife about this discussion yesterday while waiting for my car to be towed and I had mentioned to her that I couldn't see the trainers sticking around much longer when her unwillingness to interact with potential customers at the expo was tantamount to her demonstrating to them that she doesn't give a shit about the business and that, therefore, they're wasting their time being in business with her.

8 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Pretty sure that if the Browns didn't have a tv show, she wouldn't have started this business. Having a show must make them feel more important and influential than they are somehow

These things are probably true. I'm sure they're expecting their "star power" to draw legions of subscribers to this business, which probably fully explains why Janelle (I want so badly to start calling her Jangle, like CJ! LOL) didn't bother to put any effort into her expo booth. I wouldn't be surprised if they printed all the materials for that booth in the last three days before the expo started; for that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if they only finished the "copy" for the printed materials the day before they had them printed. After all, nothing says "professional" and "I'm motivated to succeed" quite like procrastination and doing things at the last minute.

• Love 2

I don't come here often so after reading 3 pages I am dumb struck.  

Everything has been said about that horrible booth and I agree with all.  One thing she could have easily done to recoup some of the booth fee is to sell pedometers.  Huge sign saying see how many steps you take here for only $10!!  Fitness begins with walking more!  I would have bought one.  That would have gotten people to stop as well. Not that they would have done more that that though. LOL!  At least she would have made some money. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I don't come here often so after reading 3 pages I am dumb struck.  

Everything has been said about that horrible booth and I agree with all.  One thing she could have easily done to recoup some of the booth fee is to sell pedometers.  Huge sign saying see how many steps you take here for only $10!!  Fitness begins with walking more!  I would have bought one.  That would have gotten people to stop as well. Not that they would have done more that that though. LOL!  At least she would have made some money. 

If you go to various health/home/garden shows, you will find pedometers for free.

I won't spend money on freebies.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

If you go to various health/home/garden shows, you will find pedometers for free.

I won't spend money on freebies.

At our annual health fair at work at least one of our medical insurance providers was offering free pedometers that were just like the ones Jangle is selling for $10. 

That said most of us passed since we have Fitbits, watches, etc that do the same thing only more effectively. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Mr. AZC used to have to "man" their insurance company's trade booth at exhibitions like this.  Number One Rule:  Those who are manning the booth NEVER sit down.  His company wouldn't even provide chairs.  

And I once helped re-design their company's booth.  Janelle's booth broke every rule, as you pointed out above, MRSMITH.  But you can't fix stupid, so I guess we should quit trying to "help" the Browns.

The white backdrop sporting her name made the booth look like it was still under construction.  With no formal training I could design a fabulous booth using logic alone!   This expo was for women and excuse the stereotyping but we love to buy little things at expos, on vacation or any little event or street fair.  Coming home with a treasure is fun.  She missed a huge opportunity to make some money. After all, that is her goal.  Don't be fooled that this is really about health and fitness.  It isn't.

Laminated lists for quick reference while shopping:

Calorie counts of food.

Carb counts.

Healthy choices for vegetables and fruit. 

All in purse sizes, pack of 3 for $5.  

Have rubber bracelets printed with a word of encouragement for $5.  Examples: walk, joy, imagine, fit, move etc. And a sign saying they are designed to keep you on track with your fitness plan (that someone else has written)! 

Free pedometers now that I have read the above posts! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I still think this only exists as a plot device that Kody and Janelle cooked up, hoping TLC and the producers of the show would jump at the chance to feature it on the show. 

The execution is so poor on this that I can't imagine the producers are in cahoots. 

Also, according to Toodles, no cameras at the launch and there don't appear to have been any cameras here.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I still think this only exists as a plot device that Kody and Janelle cooked up, hoping TLC and the producers of the show would jump at the chance to feature it on the show. 

The execution is so poor on this that I can't imagine the producers are in cahoots. 

Also, according to Toodles, no cameras at the launch and there don't appear to have been any cameras here.

I've thought from the beginning that this was something Kody cooked up as a fake business that Janelle can plod along with her sheep twitter following for tax deductions and future bankruptcies.  She has zero enthusiasm because it isn't her personality and she really doesn't have a clue.  What she SHOULD be doing is making videos of her coaches teaching her how to make these changes.  She could cook a meal and then the coach sits down and teaches her what poor choices she made and then cooks an improved version of that meal. She is putting herself out there as an "expert" in such matters but her words/actions show that she is anything but.  Many people do this as a "follow my journey to health and wellness" on a blog and get people to follow the journey.  She thinks that somehow people are going to pay for what many others have stated is out there already, for free.

I wonder if the "coaches" aren't paid fitness people just like the "investors" were paid actors. Keep the business in the red and deduct all that you can.  Her kids are quickly growing up and moving out...

Janelle should just find a cake baker and go into business with them.  Two things she has shown REAL excitement over.  Kody in tight pants and cake.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I expect the Baby Gift Registry to be posted any day

I initially read this as "the Baby GRIFT Registry". Too early in the morning yet it fits for the Brown Family.

1 HOUR AGO, DAKOTAJUSTICE SAID:

Janelle should just find a cake baker and go into business with them.

Perfect idea. If you can't bet them, join them. She can still eat "sensible" at home (whatever that means in her eyes) but have a business that she enjoys. And Kodouche can dance around the shop like an idiot....

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

At our annual health fair at work at least one of our medical insurance providers was offering free pedometers that were just like the ones Jangle is selling for $10. 

That said most of us passed since we have Fitbits, watches, etc that do the same thing only more effectively. 

Our company's health fair gave out Fitbit Zips . . . even to retirees.  

Edited by AZChristian
Too early to think.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

The white backdrop sporting her name made the booth look like it was still under construction.  With no formal training I could design a fabulous booth using logic alone!   This expo was for women and excuse the stereotyping but we love to buy little things at expos, on vacation or any little event or street fair.  Coming home with a treasure is fun.  She missed a huge opportunity to make some money. After all, that is her goal.  Don't be fooled that this is really about health and fitness.  It isn't.

Laminated lists for quick reference while shopping:

Calorie counts of food.

Carb counts.

Healthy choices for vegetables and fruit. 

All in purse sizes, pack of 3 for $5.  

Have rubber bracelets printed with a word of encouragement for $5.  Examples: walk, joy, imagine, fit, move etc. And a sign saying they are designed to keep you on track with your fitness plan (that someone else has written)! 

Free pedometers now that I have read the above posts! 

Your ideas are good, but - in my experience - most of these types of exhibitions don't usually have small items for sale at individual booths.  Neither the vendors nor the attendees want to be tied up with cash/credit card transactions.  There are lots of "free" things (pens, keychains, etc.).  Most booths offer one nice prize in a raffle.  That way, the vendors can get LOTS of names and addresses for future marketing mail/e-mail lists.  That's where they make their money.

BTW, if the raffle drawing is not done "live" at the event, chances are there's someone assigned to go through all the entries and find a "winner" who has potential to become a good customer in the eyes of the vendor.  For example - If it's an insurance convention/trade show, a broker who is already signed up with an insurance company is not going to win the prize.  A prospective broker (preferably with multiple office locations) will win.  Then the insurance company can send their sales rep to deliver the prize and the sales pitch for future business.

Exhibitions like the one last weekend are just glorified trade shows, hoping to rope in new customers.  Marketing 101.

• Love 2

@DakotaJustice Makes me wonder how much they spent putting all those prizes together. I'm also curious how much money they lost, in total, on going to that expo when you take the travel/lodging costs, booth rental, and booth materials (and prizes) costs altogether (after deducting from that total any memberships they managed to get at the expo). I bet it would be an absolutely horrifying total for most people. Hopefully, it will give even Janelle pause; if not, let's hope that it makes her business partners rethink their involvement and either put pressure on her to change (best scenario) or exit the business altogether (most popcorn-worthy scenario).

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Your ideas are good, but - in my experience - most of these types of exhibitions don't usually have small items for sale at individual booths.  Neither the vendors nor the attendees want to be tied up with cash/credit card transactions.  There are lots of "free" things (pens, keychains, etc.).  Most booths offer one nice prize in a raffle.  That way, the vendors can get LOTS of names and addresses for future marketing mail/e-mail lists.  That's where they make their money.

BTW, if the raffle drawing is not done "live" at the event, chances are there's someone assigned to go through all the entries and find a "winner" who has potential to become a good customer in the eyes of the vendor.  For example - If it's an insurance convention/trade show, a broker who is already signed up with an insurance company is not going to win the prize.  A prospective broker (preferably with multiple office locations) will win.  Then the insurance company can send their sales rep to deliver the prize and the sales pitch for future business.

Exhibitions like the one last weekend are just glorified trade shows, hoping to rope in new customers.  Marketing 101.

I do know all of this, I have been to a few trade shows over the years.  This was an expo and not a trade show.  That is a horse of a different color.  It was for women to come and do fuck knows what.  

Janelle is doing this to make money, that is clear.  She is not excited about really doing Strive, she just wants others to sign up and she (in her mind) will be CEO.   There were booths set up to sell things, Lularoe being one.  I bet there were many others.  Inexpensive Jewelry is a good bet.  Free shots of Tequila loosens the wallet. 

They are all trying to make money and as nuts as it is Meri has the best idea!  She is actually selling some clothes.  I don't know if she sets up tables at local fairs or on the street somewhere but she should, others do that.  

I was searching my brain for a way she could possibly recover the fee.  Some people would buy stuff; she sold one pedometer that we know of.  :^) 

• Love 1

I looked up the woman's expo; they are having another one in October.  It is the exact same one.  Here is an example of people who set up booths. 

• Salon and Spa Services
• Skin Care and Cosmetics
• Healthy Living
• Business Opportunities
• Home Improvement 
• Home Decor
• Electronics
• Housewares & Appliances
• Jewelry & Handbags
• Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
• Preventive Medicine
• Health & Nutritional Foods