Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Fight Or Flight

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

They should have made the time differential in their trips longer. They are not in the man of steel universe? Fine, best way to go about this would have been to make their superman literally the 1930's version. Chrash on earth ca 1910, raised by the Kents, legendary hero, whole thing, in his nineties when Kara lands. Heck, could make the trigger for her going public be him finally dropping from old age at 105, having a heart attack while, oh, putting out a fire. 

That wouldn't work because their invulnerability means that they wouldn't age at the same rate as a normal human, so they could conceivably remain in their prime for far longer than humans.  Also, their invulnerability prevents them from having heart attacks -- they can, in fact, stop their hearts at will in order to simulate death without actually being dead.

2. The writers seem way, way, way more interested in James Olsen. Not in a "Hey, that guy and the lead make a cool duo" sense, but more like "those fools told me nobody wanted to watch a show about Jimmy Olsen, but I'll show them! I'll show them all! Mwa ha ha ha!" I think that what they are being paid to write is a Supergirl show, but what they are actually writing is a Superman fanfic in which Jimmy Olsen is  no longer a geeky white guy who everybody laughs at. And, hey, maybe there's a market for The Jimmy Awesome Show, but I think it's dishonest to accept a paycheck for writing something else entirely. Folks were skeptical about an hour of Commissioner Gordon fighting crime in the Mustachemobile or whatever the hell he does on Gotham, but at least the show was honest about who they'd be writing as the star. James is not only not the character anybody tunes in to see (hint to writers: check the title of your show if you forget,) but he is also so damn-near perfect that he bores the living crap out of me.

Have to agree this is the case at the moment. I don't think it's really meant to be that extreme, it's just that James doesn't really have any personality yet. He's so front and center and so dull! So far, anyhow. It is faintly off-putting that Lucy Lane seems to be their idea of character development so far. So far as free-loading on his rep as Superman's friend, that's why Cat Grant hired him and we all know it. He doesn't need to push the button on the watch to rely on Superman. And if he's really being physically threatened, why shouldn't he call Superman? "Because he can call Supergirl" is the only reasonable answer.

• Love 1
And if he's really being physically threatened, why shouldn't he call Superman? "Because he can call Supergirl" is the only reasonable answer.

That may be true now, but remember that he's known Superman far longer than he's known Kara (it was Superman who gave him the signal watch, which is normally tuned to Superman's hearing frequency), so calling Superman first would still be an instinctive reaction to danger, and he called Superman in this case precisely because Kara was the one who was being physically threatened -- and, it must be remembered that Kara is still learning to use her powers, whereas Superman mastered the use of his long ago.  Give James time, and he'll come to rely on Kara as much as he does Superman, if not more.

Edited by legaleagle53

I think they are going with Cat doesn't see her assistant, just talks at her. So she would never think that bumbling, shy, socially awkward Kara is Supergirl. Just like no one recognizes Clark Kent as Superman. That's the one trope I'll give them a pass on since it's kind of been a thing for decades. 

I guess there’s precedent with the Adventures of L&C for the stupid as hell newspaper colleagues’ tudes, but to me, Cat has really looked at Kara.  I swear she looked right at her at length during one of those “Girls Do” speeches in the prior couple of episodes.  It would be one thing if she was JJ Jamesoning her delivery while looking over everyone’s heads or at her desk, but she’s not.  She's stared right at her assistant while speaking to her, and not twigged to the reality.

I was happy for the episode to pick up where it had let off. I also for a second was sure Cat recognized Kara so now I'm not sure what I think. I'd kind of love it if she did but was just egocentric enough not to be bothered that she was ordering Supergirl about during the day. Or maybe she is oblivious. Either way I'm good.

Count me as one of the few that is enjoying Cat. I don't think she comes off as mean or bitchy as some imply. Hey, never thrown a cell phone at an assistant, shows she's self aware and trying to treat her employee as human at least. Plus she freely talks to Kara and let's her give opinions. I think if she were a man people would find her no nonsense manner as strong and competent and her writing freak out as an endearing quirk.

Right there with you.  For some reason, everything that FOX expected me to feel for ditzy stupenagel Ally McBeal which I did not, I’m feeling for Cat Grant.  Calista is really likable in this, which is I think what is needed as balance when Cat is not written as a likable character per se.

But I 100% think we were expected to think this “clever disguise” of a distance of 12 (8?) hovering feet is mysteriously rendering Cat blind.  “Do you have a day job?!?!?” is never, ever “I know you are, and am just being cute!” filmic language.  It’s “I’m dumb as a box of rocks!”  

2. The writers seem way, way, way more interested in James Olsen. Not in a "Hey, that guy and the lead make a cool duo" sense, but more like "those fools told me nobody wanted to watch a show about Jimmy Olsen, but I'll show them! I'll show them all! Mwa ha ha ha!" I think that what they are being paid to write is a Supergirl show, but what they are actually writing is a Superman fanfic in which Jimmy Olsen is  no longer a geeky white guy who everybody laughs at. And, hey, maybe there's a market for The Jimmy Awesome Show, but I think it's dishonest to accept a paycheck for writing something else entirely. Folks were skeptical about an hour of Commissioner Gordon fighting crime in the Mustachemobile or whatever the hell he does on Gotham, but at least the show was honest about who they'd be writing as the star. James is not only not the character anybody tunes in to see (hint to writers: check the title of your show if you forget,) but he is also so damn-near perfect that he bores the living crap out of me.

ITA.  I'm sure there is a comics fan somewhere willing to enlighten me differently, but I am so not ready to take mental charge of "Jimmy Olsen is someone's cool suave crush".  It doesn't even feel like an interesting Greg Berlanti "thing", which I know he is capable of turning a cliche on its head.  "Jimmy's" a nerd to me.  Point period blank.  Especially if we're going to have a nerd (Wynn), making Olsen into Cool Guy smacks of desperation.  To go back to my point above, I can see the scope for character interest and broadening in watching "Cat Grant, First Female Media Titan" be made.  What are we supposed to feel or aspire for already-arrived "Jimmy Olsen, Pulitzer Prize Winner" to do?  Where is there for his character to go?  There's a glimmer in "if this is really a demotion", but they've dropped that ball, I fear.  (Plus, Ben McKenzie has developed into an actor I frequently marvel at, especially considering where he started - who would have thought that amongst the actors of The O.C., this one would be the breakout? - whereas Mehcad Brooks, ain't doing it for me.  He's "getting the job done", but that's about all that can be said.)

Edited by queenanne

Not a great episode though I liked the dance between Maxwell and Cat. I was thinking from the moment he appeared that they'd have good scenes together.

Not feeling Kara with either Olsen of the other dude she's not into. The romance aspect of the show falls flat.

I don't get what's happening with the alien boss? Why did he after to start helping the girls?

Edited by Chas411

Kinda liked the episode, but with reservations - I couldn't help thinking that if she'd just DODGED when Reactron was firing at her (she is faster than a speeding bullet, after all) she wouldn't have got into trouble. Nice use of the car door as a shield (not sure that would really work, but - Comic Book Physics, so I'll allow it). However, I really don't see how Superman would ever have trouble with Reactron either - depowering their supersuit is a pretty obvious step (maybe they're trying to present Superman as the "Big Dumb Blue Boy scout", which he occasionally gets in comics).

I get they don't want to have Supes turn up every week (or have people wonder why he DOESN'T show in a dire situation) but why did everyone criticise Supergirl for failing to capture Reactron when Superman couldn't? I guess you could present it as innate sexism in the media, where (super) women are judged more harshly than (super) men, but nobody (not Kara, not her sister, not Jimmy, not Cat) seemed to put forward that argument (hell, you could have Cat make that comment but still run the critical argument in her papers because "That's what sells!"). And why exactly did nobody consider having the Super Cousins TEAM UP to take down Reactron* - is teamwork really so bad? Did like the familial texting at the end, though.

If I'd been running the show (funnily enough, nobody asked!) I'd have Superman be away from Earth for some reason (dealing with some Galactic threat, like Darkseid, perhaps) and so you could have an ongoing arc of not just "dealing with a world (or at least America!) that EXPECTS a super person around and an ongoing arc of trying to work out just what Clark is up to (you could even have said threat appear on Earth in the Finale and have them team up to deal with it, though if it's Darkseid, I seem to recall Supergirl got pretty badly mauled by him).

Jodithgrace  I do like the explanation that Cat will never recognize her because she never actually looks at her assistant..just talks at her.

And I would forgive the show almost anything if she turns to her and says "So, what's Supergirl going to do about X? Think I can't see what's right in front of my face?" I think there was a particular run in the Superman comics where the writer suggested that everybody at (at least) The Daily Planet knew who Clark really was and they just pretended they didn't to make him feel better, though that may have been a spoof. Seriously though, in an episode where they run facial recognition software to identify the bad guy - it's not going to take long for anyone to recognise that Supergirl is Kara Danvers!

* And that's way more times than Reactron should be said in any paragraph - it's a dumb name even if you lampshade the fact!

• Love 1

To me I just accept it's apart of comic lore that no one can recognize Kara as Supergirl. It's not going to change so just accept it.

It was historically less of a problem for Supergirl than Superman because she wore a brown wig as her non-super-self. Now... not so much. That said, I suppose the showrunners here pay enough attention that they knew if they DID have her wear one they'd not only (like the glasses) have to explain why she'd worn one before becoming Supergirl, but also deal with the endless "bad wig" comments from the Internet that always follow someone on TV wearing a wig.

he called Superman in this case precisely because Kara was the one who was being physically threatened -- and, it must be remembered that Kara is still learning to use her powers, whereas Superman mastered the use of his long ago.

Seems like this should have led to the cousins agreeing to meet periodically for an instruction and training session, so that the big guy can pass along some tips.

• Love 1

I just watched this episode again and I don't understand how Superman ever had any real trouble with Reactron. I mean Kara, who is still new at the whole superhero thing, knocked him around and damaged his suit in their very first fight. I have no problem with Kara beating him when Clark couldn't because she found out both his identity and his weakness, but I don't see a guy like that being a reoccurring villain for Superman.

On another note, Kara's little IM with Clark was a nice touch. It's a good way of explaining why Superman doesn't show up anymore when the situation is dire enough you'd think he might swing by, but he will come running (well, flying) if she calls.

So remember that entire conversation about teamwork and not being alone that Kara gave Jimmy only, like, a day before the events of this episode? Does that just not apply to her or does it not apply in this show when the plot demands it?

Also, she's immortal and invulnerable so why does this show and people like Jimmy seem to be scared of her "dying"? Unless Reactron had a kryptonite powered heart then there's no real risk, is there? And how precisely does Supergirl get knocked out or concussed? That doesn't even make sense. And as for its laughable 1973 attempt at "feminism" - when your main character is literally weaker, more vulnerable, more emotional and less intelligent because she's Supergirl rather than Superman (because girls are, guys!) then perhaps you should be reading your scripts again. Because, feminism - you are doing it wrong.

I say that because despite the awful dialogue in the first two episodes, it seems like this show does think its' feminist. It isn't. The only character they're doing right is Cat. Because she, at least, did grow up in the 1970s when the memes of this show were relevant. And maybe that's the problem because maybe it's the writers who did too. I'm sorry, but if you keep fighting the same televisual battles you'll only tell young girls not to bother trying. Because if it hasn't improved in 40 years then what's the goddamned point?

Also, she's immortal and invulnerable so why does this show and people like Jimmy seem to be scared of her "dying"? 

Because invulnerability and immortality are two different things.  Kara is invulnerable, but she's NOT immortal -- she can be killed by Kryptonite or by anything else as long as her powers are in a compromised state. "Immortal" would mean that she could NEVER be killed, not even by Kryptonite, and that she could never die from natural causes or from a Kryptonian disease (such as the Virus-X of the comics) which would be as fatal to her as many Earth diseases are to Terrans (and death by that cause could still happen to her even with her invulnerability still intact). 

Edited by legaleagle53

Well, I should say she's immortal on Earth. And Superman's immortality is a big part of his character. And yes, you can be immortal but not invulnerable but she is invulnerable to everything on this planet. So unless the bad guys are carrying something not of this planet, she's not in any danger and the show should stop pretending she is. It's annoying and insulting to the audience's intelligence. And to their main character.