Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: The Consequences of Longing

How did Gabe know that Taylor was drugged & about to get raped?

I am not liking where this whole thing with Elizabeth & Max relationship seems to be going, if they want Taylor & Gabe together, they better figure out a different way than having Max & Taylor break up because he had sex with Elizabeth.

• Love 1

Does anyone want to be nice enough to give a brief summary of what happened so I don't have to waste 45 minutes of my life to watch this?  The preview above didn't make sense since I thought Carter couldn't work there any more once she admitted her age.  And now GaT's comment sounds like Max is going to start be unlikable (first with Taylor's sister and then her mother - really?)

How did Carter not get fired for being underaged??  Stupid show.

I couldn't figure out what it was about the actor who plays Ben that bugs me so much.  Then I realized it's the damn vocal frye.  I thought only females did that.  Glad to know it's equal opportunity. 

I am not liking where this whole thing with Elizabeth & Max relationship seems to be going, if they want Taylor & Gabe together, they better figure out a different way than having Max & Taylor break up because he had sex with Elizabeth.

Glad I wasn't the only one who got the sense that some Max/Elizabeth sexy-times would soon be coming our way.  The writers on this show won't be happy until Max has had sex with everyone of the characters.  I'm sure David or Gabe will be next. 

• Love 2

How did Carter not get fired for being underaged??  Stupid show.

She not only didn't get fired but her cop mother (Elizabeth is still a cop, right?) found out, didn't report the bar to the people who monitor that kind of thing AND let Carter keep working there.  And was presented as being in the wrong for temporarily wanting Carter to quit.

Next Elizabeth will be offering out her house for those illegal parties the bar guy is throwing. It is illegal, right? Charging people to come to an event on property you don't own sounds like it should be illegal.

• Love 2

She not only didn't get fired but her cop mother (Elizabeth is still a cop, right?) found out, didn't report the bar to the people who monitor that kind of thing AND let Carter keep working there.  And was presented as being in the wrong for temporarily wanting Carter to quit.

Next Elizabeth will be offering out her house for those illegal parties the bar guy is throwing. It is illegal, right? Charging people to come to an event on property you don't own sounds like it should be illegal.

Do they check IDs @ the door of the "underground rave" they threw? I don't remember seeing that.... So, they also could be giving alcohol to minors.... 

And, this show is just a never-ending trainwreck that I can't look away....::shakes fists in air::

• Love 1

She not only didn't get fired but her cop mother (Elizabeth is still a cop, right?) found out, didn't report the bar to the people who monitor that kind of thing AND let Carter keep working there.  And was presented as being in the wrong for temporarily wanting Carter to quit.

She's supposed to be, but she's forgotten about that since last season.

The lesson for this episode seems to be..."I'm going to do what I want, but don't tell my loved one I'm doing it because I care about them too much," even when everyone makes poor decisions.

Carter seems convinced that with enough charm and persistence, she can get by in life regardless of the situation and it is annoying. I get Elizabeth wanting to give her free reign to make mistakes via her "own path" but in that case, she should start charging her rent and treating her like others would out in the real world. In 6 months she's going to become 18 anyway, so Carter can get her own place and Elizabeth can still provide her with emotional support.

It's even more irritating that the bar owner is not only allowing her to keep the job despite being underage, but finally gave consent to dating someone who is underage. Why not just wait the 6 months and then go for it? I know he's supposed to be 25 but he looks older. However, I no longer feel sorry for anything that happens to his business or him when crap hits the fan.

I know Taylor's heart was in the right place helping Gabe get on the straight and narrow....but where in her mind did she think it was a smart idea to invite Gabe to a FRAT HOUSE when he was just in jail for a drunk-driving charge the previous episode?  The last thing he should be touching is a drink given how manic he's been with booze since the season began. I guess no one's taught her about stranger danger, but I'm glad he was there to prevent her from the worst case scenario. I don't think that should sway her feelings for Max though =\

• Love 1

What is going on with this show? I feel like it has different writers for almost every scene in the latest episode. Nothing on this show makes any sort at all anymore. I really feel like a bunch of people are like, "You write these scenes, so and so will write these scenes and I'll write mine and we will just throw them together and see what happens". 

• Love 4

I'm west coast so I was guilty of this assumption for many years but the actual age of consent for most of the US is not eighteen. They use eighteen a lot on TV because so many shows were set in California in the past, but most states it's sixteen, and many others it's seventeen. New York, for instance, is seventeen. I don't know what state Carter is supposed to be in, but the odds are that at seventeen she isn't actually underage as far as sex is concerned.

This is absolutely in the top five worst written show I've ever been unfortunate enough to get hooked into. And I watched Seventh Heaven and Zoo.  This is worse, by far, than either of those and that's saying a lot.  

If Gabe kisses Elizabeth and she so much as hesitates to end the kiss immediately I am officially through.  

Yes, Carter should pay rent if she thinks she's dropping out to work instead of go to school. Get that real world going now if that's what she wants so bad.  Supporting her financially in this stupid decision is the last thing Elizabeth should be doing. So of course, she'll do it.  I'm surprised she doesn't offer one of her criminal contacts to make Carter a really good fake ID. These parents operate at a teenager's level anyway so why not?  

Seriously, this show is effed up, even for teen fare.  

• Love 3

What is going on with this show? I feel like it has different writers for almost every scene in the latest episode. Nothing on this show makes any sort at all anymore. I really feel like a bunch of people are like, "You write these scenes, so and so will write these scenes and I'll write mine and we will just throw them together and see what happens". 

It really is, they threw out the premise of a girl dealing with the fallout of her mom kidnapping her and adjusting to her new life, now it's just about random bs.

• Love 3

Carter can't work in a bar until she is 21. Neither the bar owner nor her mother would really let that happen. I started watching this because I thought it would be an original story. Now it is a weekly teenage fantasy show, about all the things teens think they would like to do if their pesky parents weren't around.

• Love 5

And was presented as being in the wrong for temporarily wanting Carter to quit.

Isn't she always in the writers' messed up minds?  All while characters like Lori and Crash gets away with just about anything.

• Love 1

Does anyone want to be nice enough to give a brief summary of what happened so I don't have to waste 45 minutes of my life to watch this?  The preview above didn't make sense since I thought Carter couldn't work there any more once she admitted her age.  And now GaT's comment sounds like Max is going to start be unlikable (first with Taylor's sister and then her mother - really?)

I will never root for Taylor and Gabe to be together. That douche had his shot and wanted her only after she's with someone else. These writers are stupid though. Taylor lying to her boyfriend who loves her AGAIN.

• Love 2

Carter can't work in a bar until she is 21. Neither the bar owner nor her mother would really let that happen. I started watching this because I thought it would be an original story. Now it is a weekly teenage fantasy show, about all the things teens think they would like to do if their pesky parents weren't around.

I'm from VA and have worked in bars/restaurants since high school. You have to be 18 to serve alcohol, 21 to pour. Or at least that was the case a few years ago, when I was eager to get to 18 (so I could move up from host to waitress) :).

Irl, there's no way that Jarrod would risk getting pulled out of the bar in cuffs, losing his liquor license, and getting levied a gigantic fine by letting 17-year-old Carter stay on his staff. But tbh, so many of Jarrod's decisions are ridiculously bad that I figure he's *meant* to be a lunatic. I mean, why is he dating a minor child?! Why is his response to Ben stealing from his customers to start blackmailing Ben? And I'm sorry, but if Carter's presence at the bar doesn't put it out of business, those ridiculously illegal and dangerous parties he hosts will. The man is NUTS.

Regarding Carter dropping out:  didn't Carter get a text message from the school (!) saying that she'd have to repeat the year because of her truancy and low grades? That was a few episode back -- she was lying in bed with Crash when she got it. I thought that meant that she'd already failed out so whether or not she wanted to drop out had become a moot point anyway?

I didn't know you could work in a bar at 18. Here in Ilinois, you can't go into a bar unless you are 21. Restaurants allow younger people of course but you still can't sit at the bar. It was the same when I lived in Texas and Wisconsin. How could Carter be allowed to serve alcohol if the bar required an ID to drink it?

Edited by Madding crowd

Here in VA, no bar can be alcohol-only, they have to serve some kind of food, too. There are also rules for how long the bar can stay open after the kitchen has closed down for the night. So every bar is technically a bar/restaurant. It's some kind of ABC law here.

I don't know why you can start serving alcohol or cocktail waitressing at 18 in VA, I can just tell you that you can (or at least could!) because I did :).

Regarding Carter dropping out:  didn't Carter get a text message from the school (!) saying that she'd have to repeat the year because of her truancy and low grades? That was a few episode back -- she was lying in bed with Crash when she got it. I thought that meant that she'd already failed out so whether or not she wanted to drop out had become a moot point anyway?

She didn't fail out, it's just that next fall she'd still be a junior and have to retake classes instead of being a senior.  So it would take her 5 years to finish HS instead of 4 (or maybe 4+ summer school). She wasn't kicked out of school, she just had to make up the work she missed.