Type keyword(s) to search

Veterinary And Animal Rescue Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

DOG IMPOSSIBLE Premieres September 8th On Nat Geo Wild

"Without treats, commands nor dominance-based methods, we continue to prove that there are no bad dogs.  I’m able to teach people how to change their relationships with their dogs, which brings hope and peace back into their homes.  ‘Dog: Impossible’ tells the stories of these transformations."

The article contains a video trailer and descriptions for the first six episodes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Secrets of the Zoo (Columbus) seems to have become the Priya  show, which I'm fine with. She's fun and her rounds among all the animals are interesting.

Because of the two elephant calves dying at Chester, I was worried after the recent episode showed Phoebe the elephant giving birth. I looked it up and the baby did die at about three weeks; it was sudden and unexpected, like the other two.   😢

Edited by 2727

I can't recall the zoo show that I saw this, but, it was located at an aquarium I think.  I had no idea how they anesthetize the dolphins and fish.  I found it fascinating.  I have issues with keeping very large marine animals in captivity, but, I'm still on the fence about the smaller ones.  Here's a piece on it.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/03/orcas-captivity-welfare/

Edited by SunnyBeBe

New show on Animal Planet about pet adoptions.

"Billed as cable’s first live weekly animal-adoption series, it will air live from noon-1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays from the Animal Planet studios.

Audiences will visit centers and shelters around the U.S. to meet dogs, cats and other animals available for adoption and those dedicated to their adoptions and care. The series also will feature tips on topics like how to care for a new pet in addition to welcoming in-studio experts and fuzzy-faced guests to join Schachner each week.

More than 15 animals and their stories will be shown each day live from Best Friends Animal Society (BFAS) adoption centers in New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta and Salt Lake City and animal shelters across the country. All of the featured animals are available for adoption."

I hope they'll have follow-up segments on which animals are adopted and their new owners. If not, it's just a sad story.

• Love 3

I just tried to watch Dog: Impossible. I was really looking forward to it. But I couldn't even get through the first episode. This guy does not understand dogs! He's danging a dog by her collar, hanging her by the neck? What the hell??

When the blue heeler greeted him, she was wagging her tail and showing all the dog signs of being friendly, and he read her as terrified and aggressive? Dude himself seemed really fearful. By the end of the first scene with her, he had dangled her by the neck enough times that her body language had totally changed to terrified and withdrawn. he read that as her relaxing. I read it as her giving up.

I beg anyone who wants to understand dogs to read Turid Rugaas's very short book "Calming Signals".

The first dog, Lou, who was afraid of collars? Maybe they can try a harness? Those don't trigger the same constriction around the throat. I was SHOCKED that the show was using choke collars and yanking the dogs around like that. Aside from being a sign you are dominating and fearful yourself, you can seriously damage the dog's throat, bruise their thyroid gland, and you are undermining the spirit of cooperation and respect you claim as your goal.

You can use positive methods to establish trust and turn a fearful aggressive dog into a love muffin, without choking them. I did it with my neighbor's dogs who were growing and lunging and nipping at passersby. In a few days they were total love muffins. Use calming signals, and positive reinforcement. Be loving, not scary.

I was really looking forward to this show, and what he says about his attitude seems to be the exact opposite of what he actually does. So disappointing!

• Love 1

I was looking for more info on Dr. T and found this press release from May about other new series on Nat Geo Wild. (It also looks like her show had a name change.)

Nat Geo Wild has ordered six new series, including “Critter Fixers,” which premieres this fall and follows two friends who own and operate Critter Fixer Veterinary Hospital outside of Atlanta. “Homestead Vets” focuses on a husband and wife team who care for the animals of Midwestern farmers. “Animal SOS” drops into the world of wildlife rescuers in India — where dedicated guardians of the animal kingdom keep everything from elephants and tigers to leopards and hyenas safe from animal-human encounters. Those will be joined by “Zoo Tampa,” “Lonestar Vet,” and “Prairie Dog Manor.

Enough to keep us all happy, I'd say!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I was looking for more info on Dr. T and found this press release from May about other new series on Nat Geo Wild. (It also looks like her show had a name change.)

Nat Geo Wild has ordered six new series, including “Critter Fixers,” which premieres this fall and follows two friends who own and operate Critter Fixer Veterinary Hospital outside of Atlanta. “Homestead Vets” focuses on a husband and wife team who care for the animals of Midwestern farmers. “Animal SOS” drops into the world of wildlife rescuers in India — where dedicated guardians of the animal kingdom keep everything from elephants and tigers to leopards and hyenas safe from animal-human encounters. Those will be joined by “Zoo Tampa,” “Lonestar Vet,” and “Prairie Dog Manor.

Enough to keep us all happy, I'd say!

I'll be watching them all!

• Love 1

I haven't watched Dog Impossible, and never intend to watch.    The other day they had a longer preview of one episode, and they described one dog as a Boston Terrier.    I've seen Boston Terriers my whole life, and none of them were as big as this dog, and I've meant some cranky ones, but not hugely aggressive dogs like this.     I don't know how much proof they demand for what a breed is supposed to be on the show, but this was maybe a tiny bit Boston.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I haven't watched Dog Impossible, and never intend to watch.

Well, I watched a couple episodes and was less than impressed. As another poster said upstream, watching dude hold dog up by collar was a big turn off for me. As I said, I watched a couple episodes, but am no longer recording it.

• Love 3

Supervet Noah Fitzpatrick On Love, Death, Love, & Medicine

The Laois-born vet's rise to fame is documented in "Listening To The Animals: Becoming The Supervet", which he says he wrote to "inspire other to be kind to each other, be grateful for what they have and gracious about where they are going to".  In Listening To The Animals, Noel recalls growing up on his family farm in Ballyfin, his school years which were plagued by bullying and how he found solace in the company of his sheepdog, Pirate.

Before The Supervet, Noel was seen on our screens as an actor, having studied part-time at London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.  He secured a number of small roles in dramas such as Casualty, London's Burning, The Bill and Heartbeat, where he played both a sheep rustler and a vet.

Reading what he overcame in his childhood, my admiration for Noah Fitzpatrick tripled.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Secrets of the Zoo: The Wild Side premieres tonight on NatGeoWild.  The focus is on the animals at The Wilds, Columbus Zoo's conservation park.

I think I've seen all of these stories before.  Is this just a rehash of old stuff?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, dshgr said:

I think I've seen all of these stories before.  Is this just a rehash of old stuff?

I haven't watched yet, but my on screen guide describes it as if it was one of those reruns with "bonus content is added" shows.  I wouldn't put it past the network to try to sell re-packaged content as a "new" show; others are doing it, and I hate it.

• Love 3

There is evidently a new version of Whale Wars called Whale Wars: Watson's Last Stand currently airing on Animal Planet. Most of the original dolts are back, with the exception of the helicopter pilot. True to form, Watson delivered and almost killed part of his crew in the second episode by sending his hydrofoil team into an Artic hurricane which resulted in one of the ship's props being damage to the point it might break off and sink the ship immediately. 

Gotta love this crew of clueless "rescuers".

So far the Secrets of the Zoo: Wild Side seems like new material, or more accurately, a more extended story than it was on the original show.  There might be more original stories in the other episodes, because I'm guessing it was the pilot.       I like stories about the animals at the wild better than the regular zoo.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 12/9/2019 at 10:58 AM, Rlb8031 said:

There is evidently a new version of Whale Wars called Whale Wars: Watson's Last Stand currently airing on Animal Planet. Most of the original dolts are back, with the exception of the helicopter pilot. True to form, Watson delivered and almost killed part of his crew in the second episode by sending his hydrofoil team into an Artic hurricane which resulted in one of the ship's props being damage to the point it might break off and sink the ship immediately. 

Gotta love this crew of clueless "rescuers".

Apparently, this is not new material, just a re-packaged version of the original series:   https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2019/12/whale-wars-watsons-last-stand-animal-planet/

Guess they're trying to drum up interest in the new documentary "Watson", airing Dec. 22nd.

I couldn't find The Secret Life of the Zoo...so I will put the info here:

I just googled Indali, the baby elephant treated for herpes...

It appears that the protocol used to treat her worked..there were no updates to the contrary.

I love Indali..and her mom

I loved when her mom helped her up..when Indali was coming out of the anesthetic.

These shows are very emotional..for me at least.

1 hour ago, artisto said:

I couldn't find The Secret Life of the Zoo...so I will put the info here:

I just googled Indali, the baby elephant treated for herpes...

It appears that the protocol used to treat her worked..there were no updates to the contrary.

I love Indali..and her mom

I loved when her mom helped her up..when Indali was coming out of the anesthetic.

These shows are very emotional..for me at least.

I am so glad to hear this news - now I can watch the episode without so much anxiety.  The loss of those 2 babies last year totally gutted me. I am also far too emotional to watch this stuff without one finger on the ff button and the other hand clutching soggy Kleenex.

I'm also thoroughly enjoying Bandit Patrol (even though these "new" episodes seem to be stories I've already seen). Watching rescued and rehabilitated animals being released back into the wild is a singular joy.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

I am so glad to hear this news - now I can watch the episode without so much anxiety.  The loss of those 2 babies last year totally gutted me. I am also far too emotional to watch this stuff without one finger on the ff button and the other hand clutching soggy Kleenex.

In the beginning of the show..when they said Indali tested positive...

I wasn't going to watch...

I relented and watched...and was happy when their treatment worked.

I'm with you 100%...I'm ready to change the channel when things get sad/hopeless.

2 minutes ago, artisto said:

I'm with you 100%...I'm ready to change the channel when things get sad/hopeless.

When things look like they're going south on those vet shows, I always ff ahead; if there's a lovely shot of nature and sad music, I know not to rewind and watch.  It's a matter of self preservation.

Seeing all these endangered species being protected and propagating is a great palate cleanser in light of the disgusting news last week about a certain dickswab trophy "hunter" who kills endangered animals with impunity.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

trophy "hunter" who kills endangered animals with impunity.

You and I need to go to the U.N. and speechify about stopping the wanton killing

of endangered or non endangered species.

We could be on next year's cover of Time.

Just now, artisto said:

You and I need to go to the U.N. and speechify about stopping the wanton killing

of endangered or non endangered species.

We could be on next year's cover of Time.

And be bitched out on Twitter.   Then we can go to a movie and chill, right after our Anger Management class.  ;~)

It's a good thing I'm too old and lame to organize protest marches, because I'd be all over that shit.

Meanwhile, I'm amusing myself by imagining the soundtrack to Ruby the spider's mating sessions: "Watch out boy she'll chew you up.  Oh here she comes, she's a maneater".

• LOL 3
1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

Then we can go to a movie and chill, right after our Anger Management class.  ;~)

Yeah...

Right after we facetime Greta T and tell her "we movin in".

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

There's a listing for a new show airing tonight (Sun 1/12) on NatGeoWild called "Vet Exotic".  I can't find any information about it, other than the episode title: "Fur and Feathers".  My DVR is set.

Looks like it's what was going to be called "Dr. T, Lone Star Vet" featuring Dr. Thielen in her new practice.

I no longer have cable and will rely on my peeps here to let me know if it's worth buying the season!

25 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Looks like it's what was going to be called "Dr. T, Lone Star Vet" featuring Dr. Thielen in her new practice.

I no longer have cable and will rely on my peeps here to let me know if it's worth buying the season!

Strange, because "Dr. T: Lone Star Vet" is a show that has already aired (and even has its own forum).

Guess I'll have to wait until tonight to see if I'm being punked with one of those repackaged "new" shows.

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Guess I'll have to wait until tonight to see if I'm being punked with one of those repackaged "new" shows.

Hate it when they pull that. When I've set the DVR to only record new episodes and they start branding episodes new when it's just old clips with pop-ups or ''new never before seen" scenes I'm apt to just delete the show from being recorded at all..... course, there are a few shows that I have set to record both new and old episodes because I don't mind watching a second (or third, or 40th) time.

• Love 2

New Shows On NAT GEO WILD

NORTH CAROLINA ZOO to air series on National Geographic Wild
The Zoo announced they were working an 8-episode TV series that is expected to air on Nat Geo WILD this fall.

SECRETS OF THE ZOO: DOWN UNDER, a 10-part series spotlights Taronga Zoo, one of the world’s most famous zoos, and premieres Sunday, March 1, at 10PM narrated by Naomi Watts.

HEARTLAND DOCS, DVM, located in rural Hartington, Nebraska, premieres Saturday, January 25, 10PM.

CRITTER FIXERS: COUNTRY VETS, who own and operate Critter Fixer Veterinary Hospital, located 100 miles south of Atlanta, premieres Saturday, March 7, 10PM.

New series ALASKA ANIMAL RESCUE premieres Saturday, April 11, 9PM
This groundbreaking series follow the people on the front lines willing to do whatever it takes to rescue and preserve Alaska’s wildlife.

New series JUNGLE ANIMAL RESCUE premieres Saturday, April 18, 10PM
A dedicated team of conservationists and vets are on a mission to rescue animals in distress and find a way for India’s people and wildlife to coexist in harmony.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I've been watching Supervet and am so in awe of Dr. Fitzpatrick and the dedication he has for animals. I was looking to see if he'd been awarded an OBE or other honors and ran across some speculation that the Britney Spears song Toxic was written about him (one of the songwriters is a former girlfriend).

On one hand, I admire him so much and don't like to think he's any kind of ass in his personal life, but realistically I also don't see how he could possibly maintain a romantic relationship. He often sleeps at the hospital due to his long hours and also runs businesses that market the products he's patented. He films the show and makes talk show appearances ... it's not surprising that any girlfriends would inevitably be lower on his list of priorities than animals.

New Animal Planet Series SAVED BY THE BARN Premieres Saturday, April 11 at 10PM ET/ PT

Dan McKernan left his six-figure tech job in Austin, TX to take over his family’s 140-year-old farm in Michigan and transform it into the BARN SANCTUARY, a sanctuary for rescued farm animals that have experienced abuse, neglect, and much more.  Audiences will join Dan and his family as they learn the ropes of their new life on the farm, give these barnyard animals a second chance at life, and experience the compassion Dan brings to every animal in his care.

Dan travels across the country to rescue barn animals including a set of roosters from Chicago who were forced to fight each other, Charlie, a blind goat; two ducklings who undergo special water therapy; Lola, a goat who needs prosthetics for her back hooves, and many others farm animals that get the opportunity to be integrating into a new life at the Barn Sanctuary.

In the premiere episode, audiences will watch Dan prepare the opening of the new pasture after an arduous winter in Michigan. We’ll meet dwarf goats, Twitch & Portia; goats Steve, Chevy, and Martin, also known as ‘The Three Amigos;’ in addition to pigs, cows, sheep, and more. We’ll also meet the farm’s latest rescue, a sheep named Ginger, who needs surgery on her front legs after a birth defect has left her unable to walk. Viewers will witness Ginger’s amazing transformation from shy sheep to becoming a part of the pack living the rest of her life on the new pasture.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I finally watched the first two Barn episodes. I enjoyed seeing how happy Buttercup was to join the herd. Not sure how I feel about the show in general. I would like to see more of the animals who aren't in crisis, and not ONLY see the medical stuff and behavioral challenges. But that might be what a rescue show is about, so I dunno. We'll see....

Inside Zoos Closed For COVID-19

With their gates shut to guests because of the coronavirus pandemic, zoological parks and aquariums are facing unprecedented challenges in caring for their animal populations, which -- despite a paucity of paying visitors -- still need to be cared for and fed. Conor Knighton checks out the creative ways zoos are coping.

And this video made me smile: Oregon Zoo Animals Thrive in Quarantine

• Love 3

A little late to the party but I’d like to throw my two cents in about Jungle Animal Rescue. For those who didn’t watch, this show was from the wonderful folks at Wildlife S.O.S., who I heartedly support with monthly dues for 2 elephants. To see all the other people I’ve read about and heard about, this show was a must see for me. It didn’t let me down although I kinda could have done without so many snake stories.  I also had the pleasure to meet one of the Co-owner’s, Kartick. He really is that nice and that kind. When I started to cry as I met him, I apologized. He told me never to apologize for my tears because “I cry all the time too”.  Seeing this show, yes he does.

• Love 1

Nat Geo Wild Premieres An Eight-Part Series, SECRETS OF THE ZOO: NORTH CAROLINA Saturday October 31 At 10PM

North Carolina is home to the world's largest zoo, with 2,600 acres, large natural habitats and more than 1,800 animals in its care.  The show features several zoo staff, including keepers and veterinarians, and highlight stories, including routine animal husbandry, emergency procedures and the zoo’s work in conservation and rescue and release of injured wildlife.

• Useful 3

I had a fun Youtube channel show up in my feed about a week ago, and since then, it has grown by about 100,000 subscriptions. As an animal lover, I find the channel very calming, and apparently I’m not alone. It’s run by an older man in Nova Scotia who feeds a pack of raccoons every night. The title is “James Blackwood - Raccoon Whisperer.”

In the clip below (for those who are interested) he says he’s going to be featured on A&E this Friday on Live Rescue. I plan to record it on my DVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPVMlEoOR38

• Useful 1

Animal Planet Premieres Three-Part Event "WALKING WITH ELEPHANTS" On December 15, 8 PM ET/PT

Each year, thousands of elephants make an incredible journey to the Okavango Delta in Botswana to feed on its lush vegetation, in one of the biggest natural events on the entire planet. WALKING WITH ELEPHANTS follows Levison Wood, a passionate explorer and conservationist, as he is led by these magnificent animals on their annual epic migration across Botswana; a journey fraught with risks and dangers as elephants are coming under more threats than ever before.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2020 at 7:42 PM, SyracuseMug said:

I had a fun Youtube channel show up in my feed about a week ago, and since then, it has grown by about 100,000 subscriptions. As an animal lover, I find the channel very calming, and apparently I’m not alone. It’s run by an older man in Nova Scotia who feeds a pack of raccoons every night. The title is “James Blackwood - Raccoon Whisperer.”

In the clip below (for those who are interested) he says he’s going to be featured on A&E this Friday on Live Rescue. I plan to record it on my DVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPVMlEoOR38

yes! I have watched several of his videos. I always tell me husband that's your future right there! lol

• Love 1