Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I've never seen Everwood. Is he good?

Very very good.

I would bet most of my 401k that he is.  Timing's right, character's right (computer science genius). 

What she said. Yes! he is a terrific actor, and his character on Everwood was very interesting (if a bit of an ass at times).

unless they make any more announcement in the next week and half I think we can safely assume he is the father.- which i'm totally okay with.

• Love 3

Looks good. Love seeing Felicity in jeans. Yes, shallow comment. Let me have it! 

Oliver with a gun should not be as hot as it is but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah Felicitys ass is more noticeable in those jeans lol sorry not sorry

Charlotte Ross just followed him on Twitter and she is faving all comments about him being Felicity's dad. 

Also saw this on Twitter, they actually do look similar.

CUmwHZHVAAABa2g.jpg

LOLOLOL

I hope this wasn't supposed to be a surprise!

• Love 1

Well, it certainly lines up with her dad already cast. It just makes me laugh that people predicted he'd be The Calculator. It's like nothing is a surprise anymore. 

Do you mean more here, or in the world at large?  I've found commenters here to be much brighter, generally, than in the world at large.  

• Love 4

EEEEEEEE I am so happy about this. I love Everwood, and Dr. Abbott was my favorite character on a show full of good ones. TA is an excellent choice if they have an eye toward redemption and rebuilding some sort of relationship between dad and daughter. He's great at the subtle, emotional stuff.

• Love 6

If the Calculator is Felicity's dad and if he didn't know about her in advance, then this is going to fall into Arrow's category of 'It's a Small World' - where everyone is connected (Calculator -> Roy -> Felicity).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Do you mean more here, or in the world at large?  I've found commenters here to be much brighter, generally, than in the world at large.  

Uh, here I guess? I'm just saying that things are becoming a tad predictable.

Uh, here I guess? I'm just saying that things are becoming a tad predictable.

I don't disagree, it's just, people here were saying their friends/family who watch the show didn't even notice that the grave scene was "six months from now."  I think we pay a lot more attention than the general viewing public, so to the majority of the audience it will be a surprise.

• Love 1

Even though he isn't what I had originally pictured, I am really happy they are going with an actor of his resume. Plus, The Calculator? Seems like a fantastic character choice. And he is in more than one episode. Lots of Yeahs here.

I don't disagree, it's just, people here were saying their friends/family who watch the show didn't even notice that the grave scene was "six months from now."  I think we pay a lot more attention than the general viewing public, so to the majority of the audience it will be a surprise.

If they're going to have a canon comic character be her father, I'd rather it be one whose background fits rather than one they twist to fit. Just MHO, of course.

I just thought it was funny how most people here predicted that he was going to be The Calculator. Not that I really care if he is or not. I was just making a point that it seems easy to guess these days. That's all.

Even though he isn't what I had originally pictured, I am really happy they are going with an actor of his resume. Plus, The Calculator? Seems like a fantastic character choice. And he is in more than one episode. Lots of Yeahs here.

This. I feel like I have to reiterate that I'm not unhappy about it even though he's not what I pictured. I'm still pleased with the actor. He's a great actor.

Edited by Guest

Congratulations to Morrigan2575, who not only called it, she linked to the character page too.

Not who I would have cast but we'll see. He's a lot older than CR so maybe Donna wanted an older man who she thought would take care of her.

A criminal mastermind and technical genius, The Calculator — aka Noah Kuttler — uses his advanced skills in computer science and internet manipulation to blackmail Roy (Colton Haynes) out of retirement to do his bidding, which leads to an epic battle with Team Arrow.

Does he come back because he wants something from Team Arrow?  Because DD called him?  How does he know about Roy?  So many questions.

Although I'm glad Roy isn't coming back because he got jealous about Thea and Alex.

I wonder if he'll come up against Felicity and become obsessed with finding out who she is like he did with Oracle in the comics. 

It would be an interesting idea. But why now? Why not when she was growing up?

I bet people who didn't realize the grave scene was 6 months in the future now think that Felicity is safe since she survives 4.09.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

It would be an interesting idea. But why now? Why not when she was growing up?

Well, if Felicity interferes with whatever he's trying to do with Roy, it could be that The Calculator has no idea that it's his daughter trying to interfere. Could be a shock to them both in the end.

Well, if Felicity interferes with whatever he's trying to do with Roy, it could be that The Calculator has no idea that it's his daughter trying to interfere. Could be a shock to them both in the end.

I actually like that idea.

• Love 1

I just thought it was funny how most people here predicted that he was going to be The Calculator. Not that I really care if he is or not. I was just making a point that it seems easy to guess these days. That's all.

To be fair, most people here went looking for characters who could possibly be her father. ;)

• Love 7

I actually like that idea.

Me too! It could be kind of like the Clock King dynamic in that they're both really great at hacking or whatever and they try to outdo each other, both not realizing that they're related in any way. And I'm guessing if Roy is only in one episode but The Calculator is in two, they're definitely going to go beyond them finding out. 

I would have liked JR Bourne as Felicity's dad, actually, instead of a one-off villain.  But I'm happy they've cast a higher profile actor instead of someone like Matt Nable (sorrynotsorry).

I wanted JR Bourne to stick around because he is hot. I am shallow. The End.

At first, I was ??, but the idea of TA as Felicity's father is growing on me. He's been great in everything I've seen him in, so I hope they do the actor justice. The only comic I've read with the Calculator was Identity Crisis eons ago. He had a small role.

• Love 1

Pretty sure he was in Scandal for a few episodes. He's definitely a good actor. 

Well, it certainly lines up with her dad already cast. It just makes me laugh that people predicted he'd be The Calculator. It's like nothing is a surprise anymore. 

To be fair, most people here went looking for characters who could possibly be her father. ;)

After DR said that Felicity's father was a name from the comics that people would know and it would make perfect sense where Felicity got her smarts (or words to that effect) it really did narrow down the options.  I remember doing a search last year and the number of really smart, computer capable men that were prominent enough in the comics to be considered recognizable was pretty limited.  The Calculator was a fantastic option because not only was he the closest thing to the bad guy's version of Oracle - so great parallel, but he at one point was redeemed enough to actually take over the position of Oracle for the Birds of Prey (that didn't last) so he's already a grey character. 

TA wasn't what I was expecting but the moment I recognized his picture my reaction was, oh, I love it!  He can pull off prickly and detached while also showcasing deeper emotional connections.  A very nuanced actor.  A great connection for Berlanti (and thereby MG) to have in their stable.  Makes me wonder if they'd always had him in mind for the part. 

• Love 7

CUmHEBTWwAAcas7.jpg

CUmHcDDWsAE7cj3.jpg

That second photo is totally Oliver "welcoming" Malcolm to the new lair, isn't it? Closely followed by his FFS expression to Thea. As for the first one, is that their little chill out area behind Oliver, Barry and Kendra? Is anyone else finding it hilarious that Barry is showing a sketch of Vandal Savage? I mean, the dude doesn't seem like he keeps a low profile. I doubt he's skulking around with a baseball cap on so that they need this to find him. He'll make himself known.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but when I see Felicity with her hair down I now assume we're getting a bedroom scene. 3.20, 4.01, 4.06--the ponytail came down and out came what my friend and I refer to as Felicity's "sex hair", although I can't imagine they'd have time during the crossover event.

Hey, I see her in pants and assume that sex is coming. Again, same pattern.

I do really like how they seem to be introducing him. Having him pull in Roy? Never saw that coming.

Tom Amandes is wonderful! Even if he's not Felicity's dad (he is), he's such great casting. And Roy's return being connected to him is also great.

• Love 4

Interesting, from The Calculator wiki page:

However, in Birds of Prey, he became obsessed with finding out the identity of Oracle

While Felicity isn't Oracle per say... she is Flarrow verse Oracle (if not by codename). I wonder if this is how papa smoak will come into the picture.

Also, were we ever told if Smoak is Donna's last name or her marital name? since TC name is Noah Kuttler.

TC also as two children, the daughter ended up taking on the codename Proxy- who, like Oracle, had become disabled.. Now i'm seriously worried for Felicity.. will they reveal a secret brother now? ETA: never mind brother is apparently dead in the comics.. so will we find out brother was alive and died and that is why daddy left? (i'm over thinking this, I'm probably wrong, they would have dropped hints by now if she had a brother, even a dead one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_and_Marvin

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

IIRC The Calculator first caame up as an option back on TWOP when we found out Felicity was going to get a nemesis in S2. It ended up being The Clock King and not really all that much about Felicity but he’s been connected (by fans) to Felicity for awhile now.

• Love 1

Calculator finds out about Arrow's accomplice/techie during his deal with Roy... 

Then he becomes obsessed with finding out who she is only to figure out that she's his daughter?

I'd be on board with this storyline!

• Love 7

I actually liked Tom Amandes on Scandal. I mean I saw him in few other places but I like him the best in Scandal. His character had this calculating (no pun intended) menacing quality to him that I enjoyed. I can't wait for to see what he does with The Calculator. 

• Love 3

Calculator finds out about Arrow's accomplice/techie during his deal with Roy...

Then he becomes obsessed with finding out who she is only to figure out that she's his daughter?

I'd be on board with this storyline!

I think so. I think Roy is just the catalyst to bring Calculator into Felicity's story for the reveal.

Do you guys think we're going to get a Chuck Redux with Felicity getting hurt? Except instead of Felicity getting kidnapped like Chuck did, she's going to get really hurt, and Oliver is the Blonde She-Male (Sarah) in this scenario... 

I feel like we're going to get something like that. Chuck was so entwined to Sarah's humanity just like Felicity is entwined to Oliver's. So taking Felicity away like that will cause Oliver to regress a bit and make him turn into... well, the Blonde She-Male...

They're not getting rid of Laurel.  Look how prominent she is in the new poster:

https://twitter.com/ArrowProdOffice/status/669344612859908096

I don't really understand what this poster is for, because if LoT, why are Oliver, Flash, and Laurel so prominent while Sara, Hawkgirl, and Firestorm are barely visible.  I'm assuming it's an overall universe poster.  Regardless, Laurel's waaaaaaay too prominent for me to believe they're booting her.

It's not even a mask orgy, because Thea and Digg have masks now and they're not included.  I'm really not sure what it's supposed to be, but whatever it is, it means Laurel ain't goin' anywhere.

• Love 2

They're not getting rid of Laurel. Look how prominent she is in the new poster:

I don't really understand what this poster is for, because if LoT, why are Oliver, Flash, and Laurel so prominent while Sara, Hawkgirl, and Firestorm are barely visible. I'm assuming it's an overall universe poster. Regardless, Laurel's waaaaaaay too prominent for me to believe they're booting her.

It's not even a mask orgy, because Thea and Digg have masks now and they're not included. I'm really not sure what it's supposed to be, but whatever it is, it means Laurel ain't goin' anywhere.

Colton Haynes/Arsenal was a part of the Superhero Fight Club promo/photoshoot just a little bit before he got written off. Just sayin'
  • Love 6

Isn't that poster from masks, masks, masks (TCA's Jan 2015) so Sara, Hawkgirl, etc had to be added after the fact?  It's not new.  It's just been enlarged and CW is treating it as new.

It's from at least as far back as this summer. I can't believe they left Robbie in there, ahahaha.

• Love 1

We have a conversation going on in the Super Hero shows thread. @apinknightmare found the images this is the exact same poster they displayed at SDCC 2015. It's not new, it's a Mashup of the Fight Club Poster and the LoT Sizzle Reel Photoshoot.

• Love 2

They're not getting rid of Laurel.  Look how prominent she is in the new poster:

I don't really understand what this poster is for, because if LoT, why are Oliver, Flash, and Laurel so prominent while Sara, Hawkgirl, and Firestorm are barely visible.  I'm assuming it's an overall universe poster.  Regardless, Laurel's waaaaaaay too prominent for me to believe they're booting her.

It's not even a mask orgy, because Thea and Digg have masks now and they're not included.  I'm really not sure what it's supposed to be, but whatever it is, it means Laurel ain't goin' anywhere.

I think that's the old poster created for SDCC and various WB TV marketing materials back in July.  The pictures were all taken from the heroes/villains photoshoot back in January, and I think the main reason Laurel is prominently on the poster is because at the time she was the only woman in costume really at that photoshoot, and they didn't want the poster to be all guys.

This is Thanksgiving week, so I doubt the CW promo department is going to be issuing much of anything new until next Monday, though they could always surprise me.

• Love 1

It's from at least as far back as this summer. I can't believe they left Robbie in there, ahahaha.

How can you tell it's Robbie rather than the new guy?  Firestorm is SO TINY as to be invisible.

I think that's the old poster created for SDCC and various WB TV marketing materials back in July.  The pictures were all taken from the heroes/villains photoshoot back in January, and I think the main reason Laurel is prominently on the poster is because at the time she was the only woman in costume really at that photoshoot, and they didn't want the poster to be all guys.

Okay, but you guys get me halfway convinced with your well-reasoned arguments that they're actually going to boot Laurel, and then this happens.  

I'm very excited with the idea of Tom Amandes as Felicity's dad. He's such a solid character actor and I'm pleased they cast a bigger name. He and Treat Williams were great on Everwood. I second the recommendations for that show. Well, maybe except for the season with the baby mama drama *rolls eyes*

• Love 6

How can you tell it's Robbie rather than the new guy?  Firestorm is SO TINY as to be invisible.

Okay, but you guys get me halfway convinced with your well-reasoned arguments that they're actually going to boot Laurel, and then this happens.  

If enough people believe! Lol

I feel like everything points to her leaving. Outside factors: Zero story line tease, lack of promotion (both by her and for her), MG pretty much confirmed LL doesn't sell. In Show: the neat little bow on all her relationships, the lack of pointing to her as the death, the oddly intense good-byes with Sara.

The show is in S4. Pretty sure a S5 is pretty much a given at this point. Time to do something truly shocking. Killing Lance isn't shocking, it isn't a shake-up. They need to kill someone 'safe.' I would say safe is Felicity and Laurel. Felicity because of Olicity and all that brings. Laurel because "comics." Of those two, which do you think the networks going to bubble wrap? 

That being said, maybe all this really says is they could give two shits about Laurel but are willing to entertain the mask. Therefore, she sticks around but she gets no individual attention. Proves a line or two for other's stories and punches a few people while flipping her hair out of her face for a pose.

As of right now, I'm going to enjoy her lack of anything and hope it points to the ending I want.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 7

Do you guys think we're going to get a Chuck Redux with Felicity getting hurt? Except instead of Felicity getting kidnapped like Chuck did, she's going to get really hurt, and Oliver is the Blonde She-Male (Sarah) in this scenario... 

I feel like we're going to get something like that. Chuck was so entwined to Sarah's humanity just like Felicity is entwined to Oliver's. So taking Felicity away like that will cause Oliver to regress a bit and make him turn into... well, the Blonde She-Male...

HUGE Chuck fan refresh my memory if you can what season was this in?

I think the only people who'd be happy wiht this poster are Barry, BC, Rip, Captain Cold fans lol.

I don't understand why Oliver, the primary hero on the show that started it all, is hidden behind the others. I understand that the poster spans shows, but the GA should be given equal prominence to the other few primary heroes like Flash. UGH.

The recent LoT trailer and the heavy CGI effects on Flash make me resent whoever decides to produce Arrow as cheaply as possible.

• Love 9

Yeah, that poster is old and not indicative of LoT at all. I mean, Barry front and center? Laurel prominent like she's relevant on that show? Oliver looking like a supporting character when he's the one who started it all? Naw, son. What a load of crap.

Did anyone watch Chicago Fire tonight?  You can get a look at Tom Amandes, he played the cop who pulled Boden in on the assault charge.  (I hate it when TV portrays women lying about being attacked, it makes it so much harder for the real life women to get believed.)  It was an Everwood reunion with Treat Williams also on the episode.

• Love 2

Curses to u! I think it's plausible... but I hate amnesia stories. And Chuck worked for me only because it was ending & they had run out of angles. I think there are more angles available to Arrow still.

I do think we're gonna get a retread of the parents gone rogue/bad to protect family or perhaps they are evil only to be redeemed in end.

Curses to u! I think it's plausible... but I hate amnesia stories. And Chuck worked for me only because it was ending & they had run out of angles. I think there are more angles available to Arrow still.

I do think we're gonna get a retread of the parents gone rogue/bad to protect family or perhaps they are evil only to be redeemed in end.

No, no, not that storyline. The one where Chuck gets kidnapped and Sarah goes all crazy intense looking for him and she goes to Malaysia to find him where she's known as the Blonde She-Male. She goes rogue and intense and a bit of her humanity is stripped away because Chuck IS her humanity .