Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I also wonder what I would feel about Ray if he'd been written better. 

Even with MG's 'writing' I would've overlooked a lot if Ray was played by Luke Mitchell. 

• Love 6

I think a lot of Rays problems are all about the writing. I think the performance is fine. They clearly didn't want to make him as creepy as he came off as, and the Felicity/Ray relationship is just a poor mans Olicity. 

• Love 2

So isnt felicity's nemesis going to have an army of fighting flying machines? Maybe bot her & rp will learn from experience that machines & tech are good, but u still need training and ability to fight outside of the suit... I just don't understand if she cares about ray why she didnt somehow try to get oliver involved earlier to help him learn basic vigilante skills & self defense. And if Oliver was not a good option to teach him cuz of the whole secret identity, diggle would have been perfect option with no threat to reveal anything since hes former special forces & head of queen security. At least laurel trained with ted grant for a hot second.

Don't forget that the fight between the Arrow and the Atom is going to be "epic, epic". I guess each superhero gets his own 'epic'.

Last fall, MG  said about something "this year" and when asked to clarify, he said "this season".

I think for all of MG's trolling (and I really think he is about an actual wedding or killing baby Sara) we might actually get a proposal from Ray.  Worse yet, I feel like I need to brace myself for the possibility that "for reasons" Felicity might accept.  Then I have to repeat over and over - Ray is going away, Ray is going away.  Whatever happens CAN'T last but it would be a grand way for MG to mess with our heads over the summer. 

I would be more worried about this if a.  Ray Palmer wasn't going to his own show and they won't want him encumbered by an existing love interest (really screwed up Arrow having Oliver&Laurel OTP in s1) and b. if Felicity hadn't been practically sky-writing in The Offer that all Oliver had to do is say the word and Ray would be dropped like a hot potato.

I think Oliver is going to be more upset with Ray because the potential to hurt Felicity emotionally rather than the fact that he is an untrained vigilante (even though this will come up).

I hope so.  We have seen Ray kind of fight in Midnight City so he's got some skills and he's also got a steel suit that shoots little bolts of whatever.  Compared to Laurel, he's good.

But what really should bother Oliver is that he gave up on Felicity because he thought a vigilante can't have a real life and what does she do?  Goes out and finds someone who turns out to be a vigilante too and she's doing just fine with him.  That will hopefully hit Oliver deep in his controlling code, and hopefully also in his gut.

• Love 2

Forgetting if the tech on the suit is reliable, the question remains can Ray "shoot" straight.

If he can't hit the target or had no real range... Liability.

For all of Tony Stark's instant superheroing he knew how to shoot weapons.

• Love 4

I would be more worried about this if a.  Ray Palmer wasn't going to his own show and they won't want him encumbered by an existing love interest (really screwed up Arrow having Oliver&Laurel OTP in s1) and b. if Felicity hadn't been practically sky-writing in The Offer that all Oliver had to do is say the word and Ray would be dropped like a hot potato.

By the time Ray gets his show he will IMO be a free man but they mentioned likely Team Justice wouldn't hit the air til midseason so I wouldn't be surprised if he's back for the start of season 4 which means possible shenanigans but what ever they pull I certainly don't believe it will be motivated by Felicity suddenly being in love with Ray.  There'd have to be lots of contrived contrivances to make something like a engagement happen but her no longer being in love with Oliver is one they couldn't sell. 

I don't really think they would go there with Ray and Felicity but I'm trying to mentally prepare for worst case scenarios. 

• Love 3

But what really should bother Oliver is that he gave up on Felicity because he thought a vigilante can't have a real life and what does she do?  Goes out and finds someone who turns out to be a vigilante too and she's doing just fine with him.

I seriously love how much his mind is going to explode over this.  Hee!

I also wonder what I would feel about Ray if he'd been written better. I just have so much difficulty getting past his introduction, crazy eyes and "50 Shades of Ray" personality. Also that this has dragged on for SO LONG. I hate to say it, but it would've made more sense for Felicity to sleep with him after Oliver was declared dead. The fact that they waited until episode 14...and now everything seems to be on rush with them.

Speaking as someone who never found his actions too problematic and actually kind of like him (or at least the potential of him) I'd say you'd still be rolling your eyes and counting the episodes until this is over.  It's really not the character so much as the storyline.  Ray has IMO only fit into this show a handful of times (and by handful, I might be exaggerating)  I have a feeling now that he will get to interact outside of Felicity, I will enjoy him in this next episode. 

At least the other time he got to interact with the main storyline in the episode with the Mayor and Brick, he fit into the show tonally.  I expect that in tomorrow's episode at least. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Just read the great TVLine interview with David Ramsey...made me think that The change in Diggle/Oliver's relationship could be ARGUS vs. LOA. With Oliver forced to Align with the League and Diggle with ARGUS especially with Ra's affecting Dyla in a personal way.

(edited)

By the time Ray gets his show he will IMO be a free man but they mentioned likely Team Justice wouldn't hit the air til midseason so I wouldn't be surprised if he's back for the start of season 4 which means possible shenanigans but what ever they pull I certainly don't believe it will be motivated by Felicity suddenly being in love with Ray.

if picked up (and we'll find out in May) the new show will start filming in August. Arrow S4 starts filming in mid-July. IF Ray is in Arrow S4 it would be for 1 episode only and that would be to send him off to the new series. That's assuming 323 doesn't end with Ray leaving town or talking about leaving town, thus setting up the spinoff in S3 and no need for a return in S4.

Also, if the spinoff isn't picked up, doubt BR/Ray will be made a permanent part of Arrow, more likely he'll be sent out to pasture and brought back as a guest star for big episodes. He's too expensive to keep when there's no shot at a spinoff

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Forgetting if the tech on the suit is reliable, the question remains can Ray "shoot" straight.

If he can't hit the target or had no real range... Liability.

For all of Tony Stark's instant superheroing he knew how to shoot weapons.

True. I'm really curious if they're going to have him be magically good and perfect at this like they have everything else, or if putting the suit into practice is going to be where he finally stumbles. Ray's got lasers and rockets and shit, so theoretically Oliver shouldn't be able to best him in a fight, but I'm guessing (or, really, hoping) he will, since so far we've seen that experience matters more than "powers," like when Oliver managed to "beat" Barry. I really want him to win by exploiting a weakness in that suit.

As for Oliver's objections to Ray's insta-vigilanteing, I'm hoping that this is a scenario where he's going to be right, and that Ray will be somewhat humbled (<---LMAO, I KNOW) by a mistake or two and then goes off to Central City to get things straight with the suit.

Seems like Ray's superhero "journey" is going to be relatively short like Laurel's, with him trying out the suit tonight, going to get it fixed in CC, and then having his little crisis in 3x19 which must come from losing to Deathbolt at the beginning of the ep and then winning by the end? He'll save Felicity or whatever and realize yeah, he really can do this? Or does more come after that when the gang is NP?

• Love 3
Seems like Ray's superhero "journey" is going to be relatively short like Laurel's, with him trying out the suit tonight, going to get it fixed in CC, and then having his little crisis in 3x19 which must come from losing to Deathbolt at the beginning of the ep and then winning by the end?

Pretty much how i expect it will play out.

I meant Deathbolt lol. He apparently will be in Flash 1x22. Unless he isnt captured in Starling and takes off.

Oh, haha. Yeah, maybe he takes off? Or maybe Cisco and Joe take him back with them (this is their crossover, right?) and he escapes?

Not to change the subject but 2 thoughts popped into my head this morning

IIRC, there was a spoiler about Felicity standing up to someone surprising and MG was all excited about it after Felicity's scene with Malcolm in the lair. There was a lot of spec about it being Maseo or Ra's. SA said his favorite scene in 3.17 is in the Arrowcave and they've never done one like this before. EBR said she's on Ray's side. So, does this mean the surprising person she stands up to is Oliver? (I do know that in interviews the EPs act like no one ever stands up to him except Laurel.)

Is it possible that the woman Oliver has to save is Lyla? This would certainly cause problems between Diggle & Oliver. (I do know Thea makes more sense but I have to wonder. Perhaps Ra's leaves Thea & Felicity alone because Oliver loves them. He's trying to manipulate Oliver not have him gunning for revenge. Something happening to Lyla might break the bond between the guys.)

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 1
IIRC, there was a spoiler about Felicity standing up to someone surprising and MG was all excited about it after Felicity's scene with Malcolm in the lair. There was a lot of spec about it being Maseo or Ra's. SA said his favorite scene in 3.17 is in the Arrowcave and they've never done one like this before. EBR said she's on Ray's side. So, does this mean the surprising person she stands up to is Oliver? (I do know that in interviews the EPs act like no one ever stands up to him except Laurel.)

Not sure how that would be surprising, Felicity has been standing up to Oliver since she joined Team Arrow.

• Love 4

(I do know that in interviews the EPs act like no one ever stands up to him except Laurel.)

I think that's more Katie Cassidy than the EPs. Kreisberg and Guggenheim have both brought up other characters who have stood up against Oliver, especially Diggle, and even promoted this as a reason to watch the Flash crossover episodes.  Cassidy at one point earlier this season seemed to be thinking that Laurel was the only one who did this, but so far nobody really seems to be agreeing with her.

• Love 7

Not sure how that would be surprising, Felicity has been standing up to Oliver since she joined Team Arrow.

I know that and you know that but the people creating the show seem to think Felicity and Diggle never stand up to Oliver. They (or at least MG) have said repeatedly in interviews that when Oliver says jump, they jump. Laurel is the only one who stands up to him. (I think those 2 characters just like their ongoing pissing contest.)

I would love for it to be Maseo or Ra's but there is such a disconnect between what I see on my screen and what the EPs are telling me is happening that I was thinking I might need to lower my expectations. :( I am quite open to being proven wrong. :)

Edited by Sunshine
(edited)

I know that and you know that but the people creating the show seem to think Felicity and Diggle never stand up to Oliver. They (or at least MG) have said repeatedly in interviews that when Oliver says jump, they jump. Laurel is the only one who stands up to him. (I think those 2 characters just like their ongoing pissing contest.)

I would love for it to be Maseo or Ra's but there is such a disconnect between what I see on my screen and what the EPs are telling me is happening that I was thinking I might need to lower my expectations. :( I am quite open to being proven wrong. :)

I disagree on that, the EPs have spoken repeatedly in interviews in both S2 and S3 about other characters standing up to Oliver.  They mentioned it all the time in early S2 that it was part of Felicity's character journey, how she's becoming more vocal and comfortable in her role in Team Arrow and standing up to Oliver.

I have to agree with Quarks I think this is a perception thing, the EPs have given several interviews talking about Diggle, Felicity, Barry, etc standing up to Oliver.  They don't claim it's only Laurel, in my experience.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/arrow-season-3-producer-marc-guggenheim-teases-oliver-felicity-romance-will-ray-palmer-spoil-1487939+

http://tvline.com/2015/02/09/arrow-season-3-oliver-felicity-breakup-laurel-canary/

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I disagree on that, the EPs have spoken repeatedly in interviews in both S2 and S3 about other characters standing up to Oliver.  They mentioned it all the time in early S2 that it was part of Felicity's character journey, how she's becoming more vocal and comfortable in her role in Team Arrow and standing up to Oliver.

I have to agree with Quarks I think this is a perception thing, the EPs have given several interviews talking about Diggle, Felicity, Barry, etc standing up to Oliver.  They don't claim it's only Laurel, in my experience.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/arrow-season-3-producer-marc-guggenheim-teases-oliver-felicity-romance-will-ray-palmer-spoil-1487939+

http://tvline.com/2015/02/09/arrow-season-3-oliver-felicity-breakup-laurel-canary/

I don't think I have actually read that ibtimes article so thanks. As I said I am more than happy to be proven wrong. :-) Now I have something to look forward to besides potential Thea/Felicity scenes. I am pretty much over all the storylines this season.

Like I said I was lowering my expectations because I have read repeatedly where Oliver says jump, they jump. And yes it may just be KC's interviews -which I mostly ignore- that talk about how LL is the only one who stands up to Oliver. One of the reasons I enjoyed 3.16 is I had really low expectations.

Edited by Sunshine

I don't think people realize its not going to be as simple as Felicity sides with one man. She is going to get into it with both Oliver and Ray. I personally am looking forward to both confrontations. I want to watch Felicity rip into Ray for going after Arrow. And I want Felicity to call Oliver out.

I'd love that but will she? Nothing in this season so far has given me any hope that the newbie masked wonders will be called to task for any of their blunders. Hell, this show seems incapable of even acknowledging that they make blunders.

What I do expect to happen with Ray is exactly what happened with Laurel aka a moment of doubt and introspection before Felicity Smoak, super hero whisperer and propper extraordinaire (because that's what she's been reduced to in her interactions with both), comes in and gives a rousing "I believe in you/You can't give up speech", before it's all systems go again.

Of course all of this happens in the space on 2-3 episodes because only our titular hero needs more than that to achieve superhero status, for everybody else it's easy peasy. 

• Love 9

I don't know why I'm even bothering to be hopeful at this point, but it's a pretty boring origin story for Ray if he doesn't face adversity or experience defeat at this stage. In setting up the new show, you'd think they'd want Ray to have some sort of conflict or problem to overcome. But, because they apparently only write toward whatever will cause Oliver the most pain at any given moment, I won't be surprised at all if Ray never experiences more than minor consequences for just flying off into the night in his brand-new suit, without ever practicing or testing or anything. Because, yeah, no vigilante in this universe other than Oliver really has to do the work or feel the pain of their choices.

On another note, since I'm basically writing off the next batch of episodes, I'm focused on my only remaining hope, which is a decent finale. But with where we appear to be in 321, and the fact that only two episodes remain to wrap things up, plus all the "this show will never be the same," "what will Season 4 even look like" stuff, I'm not super optimistic. I'm back to thinking Oliver is in the LOA or on the run at the end of the season. On the run would be okay with me, as long as at least Felicity is with him (whole Diggle family and Thea too would be truly excellent), because I just need something positive to hold onto over the summer.

But I keep wondering about how the premiere is supposed to set up the whole season, and how can the finale bring things full circle? How does it respond to the questions raised there? How does Oliver experience any character growth if he's just stuck in the LoA? How does that respond to the obviously critical "We are not our masks and we need people in our lives who don't wear one" line, for example?

• Love 2

Roy is either going to be dead or in jail after 3.19. I'm leaning more towards dead then pitted/resurrected or cloned by ARGUS, or HIVE maybe, in the final episodes but he'll turn evil or crazy, making him a potential bad guy/anti-hero for S4.

Low expectations for tonight! Hoping, but not really, to be pleasantly surprised, though.

No, there was definitely a time last season where the EPs made it sound like Diggle and Felicity never stood up to Oliver. I remember because I was so pissed off by it. Here's one of the articles (X). Kreisberg's exact quote: "The cave's getting full," Kreisberg says. "It used to be a place where Oliver said, 'Jump,' and everyone else said, 'How high?' And what you're going to start to see is that other people have differing opinions."

They were talking about the inclusion of Roy and Sara in Team Arrow and made it seem like they were the first people to stand up to Oliver, when Diggle and Felicity had been doing it since they joined.

Anyway, to be on topic, I really hope Felicity is standing up to Ra's because I'd love to see a scene with them. But I get the feeling it might be to Quentin, and I'd be fine with that as well.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

I'm wondering if 2 people die in 319? I thought it would be Roy and they'd be using the Lazarus pit to bring him back. Definitely think they are going to use it on someone. But it looks like Colton Haynes still isn't filming. Maybe Thea and Roy both get killed and they can only bring back one? Or maybe Roy gets killed and Thea gets gets hurt pretty bad so he takes her to nanda parbat to heal her?

• Love 1

I still cannot with EBR's take on Raylicity, but it's her job to sell it, so I will let it go. However, viewers love Olicity but also love watching R/F? Em, this is a safe space--tell us who lied to you.

Not even talking about Olicity people; just people in general. I mean, I have seen a bunch of people jump off the O/F ship this season, but none of them are hopping onto R/F. Most of them just aren't interested in him, and therefore aren't interested in that relationship. But I will say that her comments do make me think that this thing could last through the hiatus. Just makes it seem so much more serious than they have time to make it in the remaining episodes.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 6

'Raylicity is perfect in its entirety'? EBR must have hit her head or something. I'm not seeing that at all. UGH. This is painful and it's not going to end this season, is it?

I am glad she wants Felicity to have time for herself though. They've completely lost Felicity in the love interest role. It sucks. 

• Love 1

Really? That's what she said. Nope Nope Nope.

Tho it is on par with the EPs are saying. They are trying to call it the perfect relationship (and yet at the same everything she does is a reaction to Oliver *rolls eyes*). I think they are still trying to sell it in its intial incarnation, but they totally failed in excecution so now its just another disconnected.

• Love 1

I agree that "growing to love" someone is not necessarily the same as "falling in love" with someone.  We know Oliver loved Sara, but I don't think he was 'in love' with her.

What about a flashback of a young Floyd Lawton getting married?  His wife's death probably sets him on the path toward becoming Deadshot - because, you know, every hero and villain on this show starts his or her journey due to a loved one's death.

• Love 1

If you read it in context you can actually understand what she's saying.  

“People don’t want [Ray and Felicity] because they love Olicity, but people love watching Raylicity. It’s very catch-22,” Emily Bett Rickards tells ETonline, referencing the shipper names for Felicity’s romantic entanglements. “I like Raylicity. I think Olicity may be the destiny, eventually. Raylicity is perfect in its entirety, but it’s probably not the ultimate.”

• Love 1

Really? That's what she said. Nope Nope Nope.

Tho it is on par with the EPs are saying. They are trying to call it the perfect relationship (and yet at the same everything she does is a reaction to Oliver *rolls eyes*). I think they are still trying to sell it in its intial incarnation, but they totally failed in excecution so now its just another disconnected.

Well, she said more but yeah. Pretty much. 

I agree, I just don't see or buy what they're selling. I don't see it as perfect even if they ultimately don't end up together. This is telling me stuff and not showing it but this show has always had that problem since the beginning. 

Some of the things they're saying don't match with what's being shown on screen. Other than EBR's take on R/F, SA is saying Oliver is perfectly content and okay with Ray and Felicity. The look on Oliver's face when he saw R/F at Palmers Tech and when Ray's phonecall disrupted the O/F moment shows otherwise. He's not actively trying to ruin R/F's relationship but I wouldn't describe him as content.

• Love 3

Is it wrong that I see what Emily means when she says R/F is perfect in its entirety? Disregarding Ray's stalkerish tendencies their relationship could be perfect. Two people who challenge each other mentally, solve tech issues together, are quippy... Like they're perfect in the most shallow sense because Ray is pretty much the inappropriate male version of Felicity. 

Regardless, EBR is trying to sell her arc because this is the ONLY thing she's gotten this season. That's her job. I just feel bad for Emily because it's difficult to sell crap and expect a fortune. If you read the entire interview though you can see what Emily really wants is for Felicity to have time for herself and not want her character to be lost in the love interest role. It seems as though she's kind of disappointed in the fact that Felicity's main arc was a romantic one this year. 

• Love 5

I don't think SA meant that Oliver is completely happy that the woman he loves is off with some other guy, but he wants her to be happy, so he's content that she's found that happiness. I think it kills Oliver that he's not the one having that life with her. Which is why hopefully that gives him the kick in the pants he needs to realize he can have that and then open himself up to it so Ray can just rocket off into the sun/his spinoff.

If this thing lasts into the hiatus it'll kind of make me crazy, but on the other hand at least I won't have to get all the scenes between O/F that I'd like to see from reading a comic. Although, if O/F are just a constant will they/won't they, and they don't get to be happy at any point sometime soon, I'll probably lose interest. Well, I'll hopefully lose interest. That would make things easier, haha.

• Love 9

Some of the things they're saying don't match with what's being shown on screen. Other than EBR's take on R/F, SA is saying Oliver is perfectly content and okay with Ray and Felicity. The look on Oliver's face when he saw R/F at Palmers Tech and when Ray's phonecall disrupted the O/F moment shows otherwise. He's not actively trying to ruin R/F's relationship but I wouldn't describe him as content.

And some of the faces that SA makes outside of the show (in interviews) when asked about "Raylicity" scream I don't like this storyline!  Even though he's been saying that Oliver is okay with Ray and Felicity, I'm not buying it because SA's body language says otherwise, haha.

• Love 6

I've noticed that in interviews, SA seems to try to downplay any feelings of jealousy Oliver might have with regard to Felicity and other guys. When asked about Oliver being jealous of Barry in S2, he said several times that he didn't think Oliver was jealous and that he didn't play him that way. While he may not have been consciously jealous, I do think Oliver's mistrust of and general snarkiness toward Barry in S2 were colored by his feelings for Felicity. That's how it played out to me anyway.

[edited for clarification]

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 2

Perhaps the actors and writers need to stop claiming that they know what people are enjoying and why without offering up some sort of evidence for that. How does EBR know people are enjoying 'Raylicity (god, I hate portmanteaus)? Has someone told her this? Have many fans come up to her and said they really like those scenes?

It's no different than the shilling that others involved in the show have been doing. Try as desperately as possible to convince the viewers that they're enjoying something. Who knows, it might just work.... Well, it won't, because that never works.

And some of the faces that SA makes outside of the show (in interviews) when asked about "Raylicity" scream I don't like this storyline!  Even though he's been saying that Oliver is okay with Ray and Felicity, I'm not buying it because SA's body language says otherwise, haha.

Stephen Amell seems very sensitive (sometimes overly sensitive) to behaviour and conduct that might be considered 'off'. If there is anyone on the cast who has read and seen scenes with Ray and Felicity and thought, 'jesus, how creepy are they making him?' I expect it'll be Stephen. So quite apart from the fact that he may not like the romantic angst, I reckon he might also be swallowing criticisms of the way the Ray character has been written at all.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

Is it wrong that I see what Emily means when she says R/F is perfect in its entirety? Disregarding Ray's stalkerish tendencies their relationship could be perfect. Two people who challenge each other mentally, solve tech issues together, are quippy... Like they're perfect in the most shallow sense because Ray is pretty much the inappropriate male version of Felicity. 

Regardless, EBR is trying to sell her arc because this is the ONLY thing she's gotten this season. That's her job. I just feel bad for Emily because it's difficult to sell crap and expect a fortune. If you read the entire interview though you can see what Emily really wants is for Felicity to have time for herself and not want her character to be lost in the love interest role. It seems as though she's kind of disappointed in the fact that Felicity's main arc was a romantic one this year. 

That's exactly how i interpreted her comment, although I think her word choice was a bit odd.  But it's the same thing they were selling with Barcity, on paper they are perfect for each other but in reality they don't work.  That's why I said if you read the quote in context what she's saying makes sense.

I can't get mad at the actors for doing their job which is promoting the current storyline no matter how stupid it is. Caity and Stephen were talking up Oliver and Sara during that storyline. Then in a con appearance, CL admitted it came out of nowhere and she had to adjust what she created for Sara to fit that storyline. 

• Love 3

DR: "I'm very excited for the fans to see that, how we deal with the sacrifices that [Ra's] forces us all to make."

It sounds like everyone on Team Arrow is going to have to sacrifice something.