Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Dear KC, here's some semi-professional PR advice: do not fall for clickbait questions because their main reason for existing is clickbaiting a 'shipper fanbase who likes to splash comments all over the internets a lot.

That said, I'm kind of amused at how butthurt she came off. Because I'm evil. And also only semi-professional at PR.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 11

LOL She literally called it all BullS***

I don't even know why, but I find that really funny

Maybe because a large chunk of the fanbase considers her story arc just that...

Edited by Ariah
  • Love 6

Olicity's popularity should have no bearing on how she performs her character on the show. It doesn't even make sense. But her answer just sounded like sour grapes to me. 

It's an odd question to ask someone not in the Olicity otp though. What was she meant to say? I don't really understand her answer, ignore it? Why?

She was meant to give an answer just like the one she did to rile up shippers and get them talking. They set her up and she fell for it, and it'll deliver in spades, I'm sure - angry shippers will be linking to that article from here to eternity, and the sites will get the clicks.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 7

I think the question kinda makes sense and it kinda doesn't. A lot of the media attention Arrow sees is from Olicity and it is funny that Kimmel brought up Olicity on his show. So I get asking about. However, like Dancingnancy said, the question was designed to get a response. KC fell for it.

I remember at a Con, KC was asked about Supernatural and she called Jensen and Jared jerks. One of the people there said you really couldn't tell if she was joking or not but given the rumors around Supernatural and the different work ethic between the actors I could see her feeling that way. I can't wait until Arrow is over and she just unleashes.

Edited by 10Eleven12

Yep. And I'm hoping the "Suicidal Tendencies" doesn't have some kind of double meaning. 

NO. STOP. 

So Felicity will likely be laid up in hospital and Diggle will be occupied with the Suicide Squad (I'm assuming). I wonder what happens with everyone else? 

It's coming up because although replacing the lead/main romantic interest in a show (versus turning it into a love triangle) is not that unusual, having the initial lead/main romantic interest stay on the show after the replacement is unusual. (Love triangles AKA The Vampire Diaries again as an exception.) So it's a story; thus the questions.

• Love 8

Yep. And I'm hoping the "Suicidal Tendencies" doesn't have some kind of double meaning. 

That is a terrible thought.

Instead of giving Diggle another episode and Felicity another episode, they just combine them? Well thanks guys.

I'm going to assume Diggle takes the A plot and Felicity takes the B plot.

• Love 2

I read the KC interviews and this bit had me a bit puzzled:

This season has revolved largely around the death of Sara and Laurel's subsequent transformation into a new, less well-trained and more tech-savvy Black Canary.

Where did the "tech-savvy" aspect of her character come from?

With a future episode featuring an injured Felicity, and the spoiler about Felicity and Laurel apparently becoming friends, I'm getting an ominous BOP vibe - like maybe the EPs really will paralyze Felicity and make her Oracle?  That would certainly present an obstacle to Olicity.

Edited by tv echo

Instead of giving Diggle another episode and Felicity another episode, they just combine them? Well thanks guys.

Of course they do. They don't wear masks or costumes which means they're not that important. *sarcasm*

Guggentroll posted on Twitter earlier that killing Oliver was the least crazy thing they did this season, so:

Can Donna Smoak take charge of Task Force X from Amanda Waller? Pretty please?

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 7

That is a terrible thought.

I'm going to assume Diggle takes the A plot and Felicity takes the B plot.

If the Episode is centered around probably the two most Popular characters that's a win plus hopefully some good Olicity angst with Oliver losing his mind at his love possibly seriously hurt

• Love 2

Is MG getting off Tumblr now? Please say yes.

I think "tech-savvy" just refers to that sonic device because Laurel isn't a super fighter (yet). 

They wouldn't paralyze Felicity. That would limit some clothing choices. And its stupid.

• Love 2

At least Felicity is getting more in this than she did in Suicide Squad, where she had one brief scene taking cocoa to Diggle.

I think KC hates Olicity because that was supposed to be her role, being the hero's love interest.  At the moment, however, she's happy with all the attention she's getting from Laurel becoming the Black Canary. Not to mention the only woman on the show worthy to be taken to the TCA, now that Sara is dead.

But she's not smart enough to be subtle about it. As 10Eleven12 said, the best thing would have been to talk about the great fans and compliment SA and EBR for how they play their roles.  Calling fan comments bullshit and saying she's "there to do a job [she's] passionate about" (really, is that why you weren't doing interviews last year?) instead of propping the show as a whole which is what SA does, just makes me want to stop reading her interviews.

Per KC:

she’s out there being sloppy, but she’s doing good.

Isn't that an oxymoron, or something?

She has a big heart. That's all that matters.  And shoes that come apart easily.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 10

With a future episode featuring an injured Felicity, and the spoiler about Felicity and Laurel apparently becoming friends, I'm getting an ominous BOP vibe - like maybe the EPs really will paralyze Felicity and make her Oracle?  That would certainly present an obstacle to Olicity.

I hope they don't paralyze her that would be horrible and I don't think it would be a viley hated decision

She doesn't need to be paralyzed to become Oracle though - Felicity was never a costumed hero, so there's no drama in paralyzing her, because she won't need to find another way to fight crime - she's already doing it the same way she'd have to if she couldn't walk.

And if Felicity being disabled in some way presented an obstacle to Olicity, then Oliver could go fall off another cliff. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 6

Of course they do. They don't wear masks or costumes which means they're not that important. *sarcasm*

That just means I'll be tuning in for (perhaps) the first time since ep 12. Look forward to it frankly.

Wasn't Laurel the one that wanted to Felicity to Google the phone of the attacker for her? 

Maybe Ted Grant also offers classes on advanced Tech along with boxing expert in 3 months or less.

• Love 10

No, they won't paralyse Felicity. She's the show's Oracle but she's not actually Oracle.

That just means I'll be tuning in for (perhaps) the first time since ep 12. Look forward to it frankly.

Hell yeah, bring on 318. Something to actually look forward to.

Katie Cassidy never said she hates Olicity. She said the hate that she often gets as a result of Olicity she hates which is understandable. The question was stupid anyway 

Edited by ban1o

Wasn't Laurel the one that wanted to Felicity to Google the phone of the attacker for her? 

Maybe Ted Grant also offers classes on advanced Tech along with boxing expert in 3 months or less.

Well, he did say tech-savvy Black Canary, not tech-savvy Laurel. So, I'm guessing apart from the sonic devices Felicity/Palmer/STAR Labs might hook her up with some tech to help her out. Makes sense, if Ray's going to be finding out about the Arrow and eventually joining the fray that they'd get some more gadgets. 

• Love 1

Wow, KC could have spun the answerin any number of positive ways..say something like 'yes it's a huge responsibility having a fandom so passionate, blah blah blah'! What she said surely is not a way to try to ingratiate fans lol

I think tech savy means shw's gonna rely on the Cry device a lot.

• Love 3

Katie Cassidy never said she hates Olicity. She said the hate that she often gets as a result of Olicity she hates which is understandable. The question was stupid anyway 

No, she called Olicity shipping bullshit, which...she might've been better off if she did call Olicity bullshit, haha. It doesn't matter - the interviewer got her to give up some clickbait, so they're the ones who win in the end. 

• Love 4

The repeated use of the word "justice" is making me think it's deliberate foreshadowing -- esp. if the word shows up again in another tagline or script line.  "Justice is the new black."  "I'm the justice that you can't run from."

Maybe when we get the inevitable showdown between Oliver & Friends versus Ra's & LOA, there'll be a quippy line from someone saying something like, "So, if they're the League of Assassins, we should call ourselves something - like the League of Justice... Nah, too cumbersome, how about just the Justice League."

• Love 4

Didn't Guggenheim say way back at the Flash/Arrow screening that Laurel was gonna have to find another way to be Black Canary? Relying on a variety of gadgets would be another way.

Wouldn't that just make her Manhunter/Kate Spencer?  LOL

• Love 5

Didn't Guggenheim say way back at the Flash/Arrow screening that Laurel was gonna have to find another way to be Black Canary? Relying on a variety of gadgets would be another way.

Could be. It'd be a good way to keep what will eventually be Queen Inc. (or was it Enterprises, I can't remember) in the fold, since they can use Applied Sciences to make souper suits and stuff that goes 'splodey for fighting purposes. 

I didn't want to put this in the Mind Your Surroundings thread because it spoils part of last night's Flash ep and, even though technically it's not a spoiler since the ep aired, some people might have DVRed the ep and not watched it yet...

It's nice to know that in the 'Flarrow' universe:

• You can go from lawyer to superhero with minimal fight training, so long as you have "heart" (Laurel, Arrow),

and

• You can go from barista with a blog and no journalism training to cub reporter at a major city newspaper, so long as you have "gumption"

(Iris, The Flash).

Why do I feel like the EPs really wanted to do Batman and Superman shows, but had to be satisfied with doing shows about Green Arrow and the Flash?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 12

Why do I feel like the EPs really wanted to do Batman and Superman shows, but had to be satisfied with doing shows about Green Arrow and the Flash?

You feel like that because it's the truth. :-)  Interviews with KC always make me agitated. I get that she is excited but she always has the worst way of phrasing things. But I guess they are happy with the way she is promoting the show otherwise they'd tell her what to say.

And just for the record: When is the Roy episode happening?Is that this episode or next episode or was it just a lie to make people less mad about BC?

As for 3x18, they probably think that as long as Felicity gets character development on the Flash, they don't have to actually give her another episode all to herself. Although I prefer Diggle/Felicity centric to anything Laurel/Roy ... Is 3x18 another big episode like 2x18? Or wasn't that the episode before a longer break last year. Maybe they will make it a good one so everyone will tune in for the season finale and therefore they show something that might get people excited (Deadshot for example)

KC is really bad at giving interviews is the only thing I can come up with. She needs to fire her PR person, they are not doing a good job coaching her. 

CL got that Olicity question all the time and was able to answer it well. She mostly said she knows they are popular and Stephen and Emily are great people. That's how you answer that question without giving your opinion and not pissing off a huge fanbase.

• Love 15

My first impression was that she was talking about the negativity about her character, not Olicity shipping being bullshit. I went back and re-read it, and I see how it could be taken that way, but I still kind of think by the way she ended it that she was more addressing the negativity toward her character than Olicity. But it is interesting that she took a question about Olicity and framed her response toward Laurel hate. :(. That was maybe not the best way to go. It does seem like kind of a sore spot.

My attention was caught more by this quote in the InsideEW interview:

“I can’t tell you how happy it made me,” Cassidy gushes to EW. “I remember at the end of season 2, they needed to fit Sara’s [Caity Lotz] jacket on me and I started to cry when I put it on. I’ve been waiting for this for so long. I’m so happy and honored.

I mean....I don't know, but that just really struck me as a bizarre OTT reaction. Maybe it's just because I can't get away from my first thought being "well damn, glad you're so excited about Sara being brutally killed off", but that's probably unfair of me. But I wish she would stop talking about Laurel as if she is better somehow for "choosing" this.

Anyway. I thought I'd managed to achieve a level of zen about this show, but her interviews are reminding me why I quit watching in the first place. :(

Interviews with KC always make me agitated. I get that she is excited but she always has the worst way of phrasing things.

Yeah pretty much. On the one hand, I feel like a terrible person for hating something that she is so obviously excited about, but on the other hand....grrrrrr, making me feel guilty isn't going to make me not resent this whole mess. Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 13

My attention was caught more by this quote in the InsideEW interview:

“I can’t tell you how happy it made me,” Cassidy gushes to EW. “I remember at the end of season 2, they needed to fit Sara’s [Caity Lotz] jacket on me and I started to cry when I put it on. I’ve been waiting for this for so long. I’m so happy and honored.

I mean....I don't know, but that just really struck me as a bizarre OTT reaction. Maybe it's just because I can't get away from my first thought being "well damn, glad you're so excited about Sara brutally killed off", but that's probably unfair of me.

I think when Sara was introduced as the Canary, KC might have feared that the producers had changed direction and decided that her character would never become BC. That's the only way I can make sense of such a strong reaction on her end.

Edited by strikera0

We all saw how happy she was that CL was getting fired. Her manic grinning in what was supposed to be a somber scene was jarring. What happened to her "method acting" in that scene. We're we supposed to think that Laurel was so happy to get her sister's old sweaty jacket that she didn't care that her sister was going back to the life of a killer? Is that what kind of person Laurel is supposed to be. 

I won't be surprised if in the Canaries episode, they have Sara say everything KC has been saying about Laurel in interviews, where she has such a big heart and wants to help people, how she fell into it and Laurel is choosing it and that's what makes her a better hero. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

It's an OTT reaction but then so was trying on Caity's mask during shooting last season and getting excited about how she looked in it as she told the Calgary con.  Personal stuff like that is better left secret.

I'm amused at "Cassidy gushes to EW."  Surely gushing isn't the usual descriptor in an interview?

I would so take those classes -- boxing, advanced Tech and How To Use Your Shoe As A Weapon.

We'll have to see how it looks in the whole episode but the way she took down the bad guy in the clip, it's just the same fight skills as Sara.  Maybe they want to give her both for extra credibility.

It's nice to know that in the 'Flarrow' universe:

• You can go from lawyer to superhero with minimal fight training, so long as you have "heart" (Laurel, Arrow),

and

• You can go from barista with a blog and no journalism training to cub reporter at a major city newspaper, so long as you have "gumption"

(Iris, The Flash).

To be fair to The Flash writers, Iris was taking a journalism class in the fall term. And she started the blog from it and kept going because she was excited about it herself, not because the direction was pointed out to her and she wanted to do something with her rage.

And just for the record: When is the Roy episode happening?Is that this episode or next episode or was it just a lie to make people less mad about BC?

These are supposed to be it.  When reaction was negative for AK's statement about the Laurel arc, MG started saying it was Roy and Laurel who were stepping up in these three episodes. Although there was also a spoiler about Roy showing Thea how he grew up.

Edited by statsgirl

That tech comment makes me wonder if Palmer REALLY does help her down the line and they become the new Scooby gang...I have wondered ab this before bc it's so unbelievable she would ever be up to the level of Oliver, Sara or dig wo "enhancement". I liked Thea/sin/Roy better though, of course.

The crying over the jacket thing just made me rme. Puh Leaz.

I think when Sara was introduced as the Canary, KC might have feared that the producers had changed direction and decided that her character would never become BC.

That is what they should have done. 

This episode really sounds like something to not watch live, or may be not at all. I'd have to see the reactions first to see if it's even worth it.

• Love 2

Lol it's totally gonna be Felicity who helps Laurel realize she can be BC for her own reasons, isn't it?

Its going to be their big scene in 3x13: Find your own way.

It was a conversation with Diggle in 3x10 that motivated her to put on the costume and it will be a conversation with Felicity that puts a stamp on it.

• Love 1

THIS!!

That is what I would have expected,response-wise.

I mean... this is Hollywood. Actors are experienced in giving diplomatic answers like the one you stated.

Anyway, I guess we can say she is being honest.

I can only cringe to think of how she really feels about being sidelined in popularity by EBR. Yikes! :(

You can still be honest AND be diplomatic. Her respond was idiotic. The more interviews i read of her the more I am shocked at how she has made it this far the industry. No way is she gonna last longer than she already have, I'll be surprised if she'll get another big main role after Arrow, I'll be surprised if her career will still as active once Arrow is done.

They wouldn't paralyze Felicity. That would limit some clothing choices. And its stupid.

Ummm I don't know.. It could be potentially interesting if handled right.;there aren't many disabled characters out there - or any on the CW.

Maybe when we get the inevitable showdown between Oliver & Friends versus Ra's & LOA, there'll be a quippy line from someone saying something like, "So, if they're the League of Assassins, we should call ourselves something - like the League of Justice... Nah, too cumbersome, how about just the Justice League."

It has to be Cisco! I mean he is "the one that assigns the names around [there]"

• Love 1

Lol it's totally gonna be Felicity who helps Laurel realize she can be BC for her own reasons, isn't it?

Lol you know it! I'm no big fan of Laurel and I think BC was handed to her but remember our girl is the heart of the team.

I said it before, I'll say it again. Laurel is a robot, that's why she can download skills like fighting and tech into her programming. Someone put heart into her system so she thinks she has one, but can't quite grasp feelings and emotions. 

• Love 12

In no way shape or form do I want Felicity paralyzed nor do I think it would be interesting. it would be too depressing. I already don't like how she's more a hero than Laurel ever has been yet some people act like cause she don't have a costume she don't matter

Edited by jay741982
  • Love 1

To be fair to The Flash writers, Iris was taking a journalism class in the fall term. And she started the blog from it and kept going because she was excited about it herself, not because the direction was pointed out to her and she wanted to do something with her rage.

My point is that characters get fast-tracked in a way that is just not realistic.  To get a job at a major city newspaper as a reporter, you have to have at least a journalism degree plus work experience, or have worked your way up from intern, or worked at a smaller paper for several years.  I understand that the editor only offered the job to Iris because he thought she had inside info on the Flash, but the way the episode ended, it sounded like she was going to be great at the job and earn the respect of her Pulitzer Prize-winning colleague just because she has gumption. (Sorry, I realize that this belongs in the Flash forum.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3