Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I politely decline this episode.

I may join you in your cordial refusal. 

“There’s even a line in the script where Felicity says ‘Ray is like Barry in Oliver’s body’,” he laughs. “And then went ‘Oh, God, did I say that out loud?’

Shallow Alert: To stick up for Oliver/SA, having viewed both of these gentlemen, I'm going to have to disagree. Oliver's body is a work of art. Ray's body, while still very nice, is not the same. 

• Love 16

Wow, Laurel's a good fighter. Even better then Ray. 

Poor Felicity hiding while Laurel, Ray and Quentin do the fighting.  Yeh, it's going to be a Laurel episode.  Although I liked the line "See, that's why I need a technosuit."

Someone above mentioned a worst case scenario?

Although I do like the idea that the supervillain they fight while Ray is there is an Atom villain.  Maybe yourself right at home, Ray.

You know I'd love a episode where Felicity can show some fighting skills. She doesn't need to be a complete badass but you would think Felicity would train a little more. Oliver loves her yes but there could be a situation where he Diggle Roy and Laurel aren't there.

You know I'd love a episode where Felicity can show some fighting skills. She doesn't need to be a complete badass but you would think Felicity would train a little more. Oliver loves her yes but there could be a situation where he Diggle Roy and Laurel aren't there.

Well Felicity had that little boxing lesson with Sara in season 2, right? So shouldn't she be at least approaching Laurel's level of skill? How many boxing lessons did Laurel have?

• Love 6

I may join you in your cordial refusal. 

Shallow Alert: To stick up for Oliver/SA, having viewed both of these gentlemen, I'm going to have to disagree. Oliver's body is a work of art. Ray's body, while still very nice, is not the same.

Oliver does have the better body of course the writers make it so Felicity would actually say Ray and Oliver have similar bodies SMH

Well Felicity had that little boxing lesson with Sara in season 2, right? So shouldn't she be at least approaching Laurel's level of skill? How many boxing lessons did Laurel have?

And they showed her training with Dig in season 1. If she kept it up she should be better than Laurel. UGH this freaking show had the opportunity to have Felicity trained by a badass last season but nope not gonna do it!!

• Love 2

Currently my hiatus is lasting through to 3.18 and Mama Smoak. Nothing I have seen or heard is tempting me to return. Not a fan of fast food so I'll pass on the KFC snack box with a family sized side of propping.

• Love 6

I don't mind that she isn't throwing punches but yeah, it's been 2.5 years of behind the scenes training. She should at least be able to nut punch someone.

I guess they showcased that when she smacked Cooper with the gun.

Edited by Limbo

And they showed her training with Dig in season 1. If she kept it up she should be better than Laurel. UGH this freaking show had the opportunity to have Felicity trained by a badass last season but nope not gonna do it!!

Well I'd never want Felicity to be a badass or anything more than the most reluctant, self-defence fighter, because that's not what her character is about. But if Laurel can become a semi-competent vigilante after a few boxing lessons, it's not out of the realms of possibility that Felicity can handle herself. Especially because EBR looks like she does have some strength in her arms, and Katie Cassidy really doesn't.

Of course, both pale in comparison to the pocket rocket known as Caity Lotz.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7
“There’s even a line in the script where Felicity says ‘Ray is like Barry in Oliver’s body’,” he laughs. “And then went ‘Oh, God, did I say that out loud?’

This is arguably the most unfair thing said about Barry or Oliver on either show. And I say this as the person getting yelled at for being harsh on both of them.

• Love 16

Since they both have long blonde hair, if they both could fight, how would the audience be able to tell them apart?  Oh, right, the glasses.

I didn't mind it so much with Sara because Sara had all sorts of cred. But this scene, where Felicity is hiding behind Ray and then clinging to his arm while Laurel is beating up bad guys doesn't sit right.

And why is Felicity clinging to Ray?  If anyone should be used to guys fighting in front of her, it's Felicity.

• Love 15

Well I'd never want Felicity to be a badass or anything more than the most reluctant, self-defence fighter, because that's not what her character is about. But if Laurel can become a semi-competent vigilante after a few boxing lessons, it's not out of the realms of possibility that Felicity can handle herself. Especially because EBR looks like she does have some strength in her arms, and Katie Cassidy really doesn't.

Of course, both pale in comparison to the pocket rocket known as Caity Lotz.

We are in agreement on Felicity and Laurel as well as EBR looking better than KC. And yes they come up short to the sexy Badassness that is Caity Lotz! I miss Sara!

This is arguably the most unfair thing said about Barry or Oliver on either show. And I say this as the person getting yelled at for being harsh on both of them.

Yeah Ray don't compare to Barry or Oliver!

"Ray is like Barry in Oliver's body."

I AM HORRIFIED. 

NOooooooooooo.

Edited by Guest

They gotta have Felicity cling to Oliver-Lite you know? We can't have her showing what she showed against Copper. She has to see Creepy eyes in a new light "Rolls eyes"

I AM HORRIFIED. 

NOooooooooooo.

Ray can't be his own man you know he's a Barry and Oliver mix!!

• Love 1

I think there's probably fanfic about that, somewhere.

But man, it seems like they're really pushing this guy as hard as they possibly can. I don't see how anyone could buy it. Now he's appearing on The Flash as well? Making friends with Scrappy Doo? Makes sense.

• Love 1

I think there's probably fanfic about that, somewhere.

But man, it seems like they're really pushing this guy as hard as they possibly can. I don't see how anyone could buy it. Now he's appearing on The Flash as well? Making friends with Scrappy Doo? Makes sense.

And Ray can't compare to Barry or Oliver at all

Oh, this is like my worst nightmare. Enough with the Oliver comparisons please. I'm sick of it.

LOL I look at like this: Barry and Oliver will come before Ray when it comes down to it. Felicity is in love with Oliver anyway so..

• Love 1

And Ray can't compare to Barry or Oliver at all

LOL I look at like this: Barry and Oliver will come before Ray when it comes down to it. Felicity is in love with Oliver anyway so..

I know there's no comparison, which is why Felicity saying this is utter bullshit and really doesn't sound that great on her part. I'm going to reserve my judgment until I actually hear/see it in context of the episode but nope, not liking it at all. It's so unnecessary. 

(edited)

I know there's no comparison, which is why Felicity saying this is utter bullshit and really doesn't sound that great on her part. I'm going to reserve my judgment until I actually hear/see it in context of the episode but nope, not liking it at all. It's so unnecessary.

I'm going to assume it's character propping, much like everything with Laurel, in order to sell Ray to the Flash fans in the hopes of furthering that spin-off they talked about at TCAs.

That being said, I either have a wacky sense of humor or reached the I don't give a shit phase because I laughed at the line.

Edited by Morrigan2575

So Felicity, who we were shown in S1 training with Diggle, has attempted to fight back against the Doll Maker, the Clock King, Cooper, and Captain Boomerang is suddenly too afraid to do anything other than hide behind Ray and watch Laurel being a bad ass and saving both Ray (6'4, 200+ guy) and a genius that has been shown in the past using tech to save others.

Sure show, absolutely.

No Insta-canary. No propping. No making a character less so others can be more. I'm so glad you didn't sink into any of those traps.

• Love 16

I know why they are saying this: it's an additional attempt to sell Ray. I get it, I really do. But to sell me on Ray, you have to make him Ray. Not Barry (and frankly, if that was really the idea, that failed) and not Oliver.  Tell me what's different about Ray.  

Not to mention that the entire reason why Ray is building the suit is because he doesn't have Oliver's body, so he doesn't have the ability to run around shooting arrows into people without technical assistance. This is the basic concept of the character.

• Love 10

Like Danny Franks said it's character propping. I don't like it either but that's the writers. Gotta try to make Ray sound like a Combo of who the Felicity fans think are better matches for her. I'm gonna puke if she is with him romantically at this point

So Felicity, who we were shown in S1 training with Diggle, has attempted to fight back against the Doll Maker, the Clock King, Cooper, and Captain Boomerang is suddenly too afraid to do anything other than hide behind Ray and watch Laurel being a bad ass and saving both Ray (6'4, 200+ guy) and a genius that has been shown in the past using tech to save others.

Sure show, absolutely.

No Insta-canary. No propping. No making a character less so others can be more. I'm so glad you didn't sink into any of those traps.

Isn't Ray holding her back like he has to protect the Lady?

It even makes a touch of sense with Cisco - "Ray is basically Cisco in Oliver's body," given that both Ray and Cisco are interested in tech. It's still not a great line, but it makes a touch more sense.

With Felicity, this is the same woman who pistol-whipped her ex and threw an exploding arrow head at Captain Boomerang when he attacked them in the foundry and now all of a sudden she's clinging onto Ray and he's going to be the big hero. Nah, son.

How about we remove Felicity from Ray's backside for a few episodes and see how he gets on by himself? I'm getting real tired of seeing them two together all the time. How about we have a story for Felicity that's just her own? There's a novel idea. Smh.

I'm going to assume it's character propping, much like everything with Laurel, in order to sell Ray to the Flash fans in the hopes of furthering that spin-off they talked about at TCAs.

That being said, I either have a wacky sense of humor or reached the I don't give a shit phase because I laughed at the line.

It's total character propping. Ray is basically written as a male Felicity and it shows - he has no real identity of his own and that's why he needs help because we'd probably forget about him if someone wasn't there to remind us he exists. And Laurel also needs help - she's got to be seen as the badass female in this scenario and we can only ever have one of those at one single time. Grrrrrrr.

As much as I dislike it, I think this is just another example of the writers using a 'tell instead of show' shortcut to inform The Flash audience about Ray's character. Flash viewers are already familiar with Barry and Oliver (from the crossover) so this is an easy (and lazy) way to quickly communicate info about Ray to new viewers. Still super dumb, though.

• Love 2

If it were Oliver that Felicity stayed behind, would people have a problem with it?

Don't get me wrong, I have massive issues with Ray and I will probably have a lot of issues with how they are going to prop up other characters. However, Felicity's first instinct is not to fight. She fights when she is backed into a corner or on her home turf. But she isn't going to jump into it right away.

• Love 7

With Felicity, this is the same woman who pistol-whipped her ex and threw an exploding arrow head at Captain Boomerang when he attacked them in the foundry and now all of a sudden she's clinging onto Ray and he's going to be the big hero. Nah, son.

How about we remove Felicity from Ray's backside for a few episodes and see how he gets on by himself? I'm getting real tired of seeing them two together all the time. How about we have a story for Felicity that's just her own? There's a novel idea. Smh.

It's total character propping. Ray is basically written as a male Felicity and it shows - he has no real identity of his own and that's why he needs help because we'd probably forget about him if someone wasn't there to remind us he exists. And Laurel also needs help - she's got to be seen as the badass female in this scenario and we can only ever have one of those at one single time. Grrrrrrr.

Yeah it's irritating im sick of Felicity having to be attached to him. MG thinks we will like Ray cause of her.

And yeah we gotta forget about Felicity having some badass moments so they can make RAY look good

If it were Oliver that Felicity stayed behind, would people have a problem with it?

Don't get me wrong, I have massive issues with Ray and I will probably have a lot of issues with how they are going to prop up other characters. However, Felicity's first instinct is not to fight. She fights when she is backed into a corner or on her home turf. But she isn't going to jump into it right away.

You are absolutely right about Felicity

Edited by jay741982

For me, yes and no.

I'm one of the few on here that doesn't mind Ray. He could show up at Felicity's front door naked with a banana on his head doing the chicken dance and my only interest would be what does this scene tell me about Felicity. 

She has 2.5 years of experience to believe that Oliver is able to handle a situation and to trust him enough not to get in the way. But even with that trust she has acted to defend herself. Oliver was there when Cooper had a gun to her head, she very easily could have waited for him to have a shot, she didn't. The same with the Dollmaker, Oliver, Diggle and Quentin were there, yet she fought back. The Clock King, Sara was there and better able to fight but Felicity put herself in a position to help. Lyla is a trained agent but Felicity still kept moving toward the Arrow rack to get one of Oliver's arrows so she could help.

She has no reason to believe Laurel or Ray could handle a situation on their own. She has seen Laurel be kidnapped repeatedly and unable to save herself. She knows Ray is not a trained fighter.  Her past actions imo do not support her hiding behind anything if she feels people are in danger. 

• Love 18

The line would work better on Caitlyn or Cisco IMO. A casual oberservation.

I agree. Coming from someone who has just met Ray, I could buy this line. Not from Felicity. \

Felicity knows Oliver and should know those two men couldn't be more different. A brief sketch outline on paper - sure? But actually knowing the two guys - nope, not buying she would really think that about Ray. Besides, it totally devalues Ray, but since they've barely given him any sort of personality other than intermittently crazy, I'm not surprised that this is what they've come up with. I'm sure it'll be epic.

• Love 7

yeah i agree. Felicity has never been an fight first type of girl.

Edited by ban1o

I actually don't really have a problem with her standing behind Ray in this instance. I was perfectly fine when she crouched behind Oliver under the stairs in the foundry when Slade went ripshit on everyone down there. It was just for a minute, and it's not like she had a place to take cover like she did in the boardroom when those guys came in and started shooting. I will say though if Oliver had been fighting on that table instead of Ray, she probably would've grabbed something to knock over the perp's head. That she didn't do anything like that to free Ray? I'm taking that as a good thing in my shipper heart, haha. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 6

I have a feeling Tumblr would love it if it was Oliver protecting Felicity (insert tag/comment about "gotta protect the wifey" here) and I'm a Tumblr shipper. And to me it actually looks like Felicity is pulling Ray away, and making sure he doesn't get into the fight and protecting him as she doesn't know exactly what kind of fighting skills he has. He is also trying to protect her, like friends do. 

Laurel grabbing her stiletto and stabbing a guy however is completely terrible. First of all, shoes are expensive (this is the same Laurel who wore a $1500.00 'fuck' ring. There's no way she shops at Payless for shoes) and also.. I didn't actually realize that a broken heel could do that much harm. I might just have to start wearing heels (or at least carrying one) more. 

I'm hoping that Felicity's line ends up being cut (like a few of her spoiled lines do). But if it's not, it could be said to Caitlin while Felicity is distracted? I don't actually think she's comparing Ray and Oliver's bodies, but she's more comparing Barry's and Ray's. Ray is taller and physically stronger than Barry is, like Oliver. But Ray is academically smart like Barry. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 5

Laurel grabbing her stiletto and stabbing a guy however is completely terrible. First of all, shoes are expensive (this is the same Laurel who wore a $1500.00 'fuck' ring. There's no way she shops at Payless for shoes) and also.. I didn't actually realize that a broken heel could do that much harm. I might just have to start wearing heels (or at least carrying one) more. 

Well, her shoes aren't that expensive if she can just rip the heel off like that. That shoe seemed to have Payless-quality construction. Also, someone ripping the heel of of her shoe and then subduing an attacker long enough to stab him in the hand with it doesn't exactly scream "worst fighter of the bunch" to me. So, we're fast tracking the "bad ass," and instead of watching Laurel be a bad fighter, we're going to have to watch her make terrible decisions. Which I've watched for two seasons already and am not looking forward to at all.

• Love 8

For me, yes and no.

I'm one of the few on here that doesn't mind Ray. He could show up at Felicity's front door naked with a banana on his head doing the chicken dance and my only interest would be what does this scene tell me about Felicity.

She has 2.5 years of experience to believe that Oliver is able to handle a situation and to trust him enough not to get in the way. But even with that trust she has acted to defend herself. Oliver was there when Cooper had a gun to her head, she very easily could have waited for him to have a shot, she didn't. The same with the Dollmaker, Oliver, Diggle and Quentin were there, yet she fought back. The Clock King, Sara was there and better able to fight but Felicity put herself in a position to help. Lyla is a trained agent but Felicity still kept moving toward the Arrow rack to get one of Oliver's arrows so she could help.

She has no reason to believe Laurel or Ray could handle a situation on their own. She has seen Laurel be kidnapped repeatedly and unable to save herself. She knows Ray is not a trained fighter. Her past actions imo do not support her hiding behind anything if she feels people are in danger.

Honestly they probably couldn't give Felicity anything to do because they didn't want to detract from Laurel's big moment. It's her episode so she takes on the biggest guy and Felicity cowers behind Ray and doesn't contribute. This gives Laurel time to shine and probably to have Felicity see how awesome Laurel is so that everyone on TA will embrace Laurel and pick her over Oliver. Thus, solidifying Laurel's status as a hero.

When it comes to Laurel nothing is organic, everything is due to external decisions. It's always massively manipulative and very obvious. IMO.

• Love 17

This gives Laurel time to shine and probably to have Felicity see how awesome Laurel is so that everyone on TA will embrace Laurel and pick her over Oliver. Thus, solidifying Laurel's status as a hero.

And that right there is exactly the reason Felicity and Ray are there. So in 3x13 when Oliver is against Laurel helping out, Felicity can jump in and defend Laurel and cue Ladies Bonding Scene That Is Completely Organic.  

• Love 11

Yeah, I would actually have a problem if it was Oliver that Felicity was clinging to because I'm sick in general of the love interests apparently needing to be damsel'd (it's not a word but I'm going with it anyway).  

The problem is they are making it so Felicity's reactions to things are interchangeable to their needs in certain scenes with certain characters. When those gunmen stormed into the offices at QC in 201, she didn't cling to Oliver - she hid behind the table and even hit that one guy over the head. It wasn't about making Oliver look good or anything, that IMO was an in-character reaction. She was scared but she held her own.

In the latest clip, Ray needs to be shown in a new light to Felicity (so she eventually helps him become a hero) and Laurel needs to be the only female badass to exist, so Felicity's reaction is written to highlight those two things. It's bullshit, IMO. At least have some consistency and not make their objective so obvious. *eyeroll*

Edited by Guest

I agree. Coming from someone who has just met Ray, I could buy this line. Not from Felicity. \

Felicity knows Oliver and should know those two men couldn't be more different. A brief sketch outline on paper - sure? But actually knowing the two guys - nope, not buying she would really think that about Ray. Besides, it totally devalues Ray, but since they've barely given him any sort of personality other than intermittently crazy, I'm not surprised that this is what they've come up with. I'm sure it'll be epic.

It's propping and like I said if it came down to all 3 guys and who Felicity would help first we all know Oliver will always come first then Barry

I actually don't really have a problem with her standing behind Ray in this instance. I was perfectly fine when she crouched behind Oliver under the stairs in the foundry when Slade went ripshit on everyone down there. It was just for a minute, and it's not like she had a place to take cover like she did in the boardroom when those guys came in and started shooting. I will say though if Oliver had been fighting on that table instead of Ray, she probably would've grabbed something to knock over the perp's head. That she didn't do anything like that to free Ray? I'm taking that as a good thing in my shipper heart, haha.

You know Felicity would've grabbed something and conked the bad guy on the head if it was Oliver! Gotta protect her man lol I loved that scene in the season 2 premire. Team Arrow would never pick Laurel over Oliver to whoever said that upthread.

Yeah, I would actually have a problem if it was Oliver that Felicity was clinging to because I'm sick in general of the love interests apparently needing to be damsel'd (it's not a word but I'm going with it anyway).  

The problem is they are making it so Felicity's reactions to things are interchangeable to their needs in certain scenes with certain characters. When those gunmen stormed into the offices at QC in 201, she didn't cling to Oliver - she hid behind the table and even hit that one guy over the head. It wasn't about making Oliver look good or anything, that IMO was an in-character reaction. She was scared but she held her own.

In the latest clip, Ray needs to be shown in a new light to Felicity (so she eventually helps him become a hero) and Laurel needs to be the only female badass to exist, so Felicity's reaction is written to highlight those two things. It's bullshit, IMO. At least have some consistency and not make their objective so obvious. *eyeroll*

A Big Laurel fan is the showrunner.

I'll be the vocal minority here - she doesn't cling to Ray at all. The gunfire breaks out, he puts out his arm in a defensive stance, she grabs it and pulls him back. Yeah, he stands in front of her in a protective way once they start shooting, but that's a natural instinct, I think. Besides, Felicity has stood by during a fight just as often as she's managed to get a hit in. Yeah, she pistol-whipped Cooper, but she was able to get the jump on him. She didn't need to do that with any of these guys, and she's smart enough to know when she should get involved and when she shouldn't. I don't think they made her look weak to prop anyone up here. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 12

I'll be the vocal minority here - she doesn't cling to Ray at all. The gunfire breaks out, he puts out his arm in a defensive stance, she grabs it and pulls him back. Yeah, he stands in front of her in a protective way once they start shooting, but that's a natural instinct, I think. Besides, Felicity has stood by during a fight just as often as she's managed to get a hit in. Yeah, she pistol-whipped Cooper, but she was able to get the jump on him. She didn't need to do that with any of these guys, and she's smart enough to know when she should get involved and when she shouldn't. I don't think they made her look weak to prop anyone up here.

I watched the clip and I agree with you

The whole thing is a set up for Laurel, that much is clear.

My thing is, Felicity not jumping into a fight is natural to me because while I think she is a fighter. I don't think its her first instinct. And I don't think she would ever assume she is the best person to take on some bad guys in that situation. So that part I'm not going to worry about. I'm concerned enough that they are going to use Laurel to 'inspire' Felicity back into the fold instead of Diggle. That she suddenly won't be able to hack something she could do in her sleep in order to give Laurel something to punch. That she is nothing but support for Ray. Those are the things I'm going to worry about.

• Love 1

The whole thing is a set up for Laurel, that much is clear.

My thing is, Felicity not jumping into a fight is natural to me because while I think she is a fighter. I don't think its her first instinct. And I don't think she would ever assume she is the best person to take on some bad guys in that situation. So that part I'm not going to worry about. I'm concerned enough that they are going to use Laurel to 'inspire' Felicity back into the fold instead of Diggle. That she suddenly won't be able to hack something she could do in her sleep in order to give Laurel something to punch. That she is nothing but support for Ray. Those are the things I'm going to worry about.

I agree, but that's exactly what I'm saying, to an extent. The 'clinging to Ray' thing is just one part of the whole problem. It's where it starts. If they show her doing that then there is nothing stopping them from doing everything you've just described as a worry, which are my worries too. 

Just saw the clip. Felicity definitely pulls him back, and I think it's because she knows he might try to do something "heroic" that could get himself and everybody else killed. And he did. Was that Lance who saved the day? I did find the line about the technosuit hilarious. And that clip made me realize KC fights like she delivers her line, like she'd just run a marathon and is always out of breath. *rme*

• Love 3

Why would Quentin ask his lawyer daughter if the mayor is secure. Shouldn't he be asking his policemen that?

Sometimes I wonder of they even have a story editor who needs to take care of glitches like this one.

Laurel ripping off the heel off her stiletto and stabbing Brick's minion with it is a ~homage to Single White Female, right?

Also, you're buying the wrong shoes if they break that easily, Laurel.

OMG. Thank you for reminding me of that iconic scene. I see you, writers, being sly with those homages. Even if they never intended the reference to that seminal movie, I'm going to take it as such because hahaha! The EPs keep on saying that Laurel is on a journey that is all her own but even the writer's subliminal messages just keep on furthering the notion that Laurel is SWF-ing her sister. Lol!

I haven't attacked anyone with my heels so I can't speak from experience but I imagine, when all else fails, that it's a very useful weapon. But yeah, heels can do a lot of harm, broken off or intact. For reference (@1:54):

I'm concerned enough that they are going to use Laurel to 'inspire' Felicity back into the fold instead of Diggle. That she suddenly won't be able to hack something she could do in her sleep in order to give Laurel something to punch. That she is nothing but support for Ray. Those are the things I'm going to worry about.

Be ready to get excited! I think I remember an interview where MG or AK said that Laurel, in some way, helps everyone, not just Felicity, come to terms with Oliver's death and inspires them to get back on the vigilante track. Also, Felicity will be back to supporting Palmer's Iron Man aspirations soon enough. As soon as this week's episode, probably, based on the picture of BR (with a bandage on his face) and EBR with the clown target at QC. Guessing this is when Felicity decides that Palmer can be her do-over vigilante--her "chance to do things differently" and officially comes on-board the A.T.O.M. project.

Woo! That clip got me so pumped for this episode, I'll probably watch it next weekend or never.

• Love 7

Why would Quentin ask his lawyer daughter if the mayor is secure. Shouldn't he be asking his policemen that?

Sometimes I wonder of they even have a story editor who needs to take care of glitches like this one.

They had to axe that job so they could dedicate the salary to the buckle budget. 

• Love 4